5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

Zeke Motta 4.75 uo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Eric Reid 4.53 uo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Low I love the updates but you can wait till they all run and toss it into a single post lol

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Some early unofficial 40 times from the first group of DB's... the below were all sub 4.5:

• John Banks was in a 4.59.

Gratz is a kid that I had on my short list and am gonna have to give a closer look to, based on his size (5-11 201), speed (4.35 UO) and strength (22 @ 225).

Player School Unoff. 40 Time

• Dee Milliner Alabama 4.31
    • Dwayne Gratz Connecticut 4.35
    • David Amerson N.C. State 4.38
    • Brandon McGee Miami 4.38
    • Terry Hawthorne Illinois 4.4
    • Robert Alford SE Louisiana 4.41
    • Tyrann Mathieu LSU 4.43
    • Johnny Adams Michigan State 4.45
    • Matt Elam Florida 4.46
    • Mike Edwards Hawaii 4.47
    • Micah Hyde Iowa 4.47
    • Keelan Johnson Arizona State 4.47
    • Leon McFadden San Diego State 4.47
    • Demetrius Mccray Appalachian State 4.47
    • Sanders Commings Georgia 4.48

The below players didn't participate... Hayden and Boyett are coming off injury:

• Johnathan Cyprien Florida Int. DNP
    • D.J. Hayden Houston DNP
    • John Boyett Oregon DNP

For fast, pretty tall guy, Amerson gets beaten downfield some. Can that be fixed via coaching? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Zeke Motta 4.75 uo

I think this will put him in Day 3 for sure.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Some early unofficial 40 times from the first group of DB's... the below were all sub 4.5:

Gratz is a kid that I had on my short list and am gonna have to give a closer look to, based on his size (5-11 201), speed (4.35 UO) and strength (22 @ 225).

• Matt Elam Florida 4.46
    • Micah Hyde Iowa 4.47

The below players didn't participate... Hayden and Boyett are coming off injury:

• John Boyett Oregon DNP

Didn't Richard Sherman run around same as banks last year? 4.54 or something?

Have you checked out Darius Slay's youtube? I was talking him up a couple of weeks ago. I actually like his value more than Banks. He turned in the fastest official 40 time today and he looks good in the other drills.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Low I love the updates but you can wait till they all run and toss it into a single post lol

I thought of it but was almost done and and was ahh to heck with it. Plus in this instantaneous tech world I thought you guys might want to know right away lol :-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I just think Slay has better instincts than Banks. Of course, I've been wrong before.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

• Matt Elam Florida 4.46
    • Micah Hyde Iowa 4.47

• John Boyett Oregon DNP

Didn't Richard Sherman run around same as banks last year? 4.54 or something?

Have you checked out Darius Slay's youtube? I was talking him up a couple of weeks ago. I actually like his value more than Banks. He turned in the fastest official 40 time today and he looks good in the other drills.

No I can not say that I have. There are still a lot of players I have not seen. I'll add him to the list. I mostly check guys that are consenus known commodities and then others you all talk about in here.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Trufant is growing on me. What you guys have to consider is that UW does not have a very good DL. It kinda doubles the burden on the secondary.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

40's are nice to know with CB's but how often do they actually turn and run completely down the field with a WR? I'm more interested in their redirection ability and backpedal honestly. They could run a 4.20 but if they can't turn and backpedal they are useless on the field

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Trufant is growing on me. What you guys have to consider is that UW does not have a very good DL. It kinda doubles the burden on the secondary.

I couldn't agree more.  I loved his 4.31 time but also his attitude.  He had a great Sr. Bowl week too.  He chased down a KR (Alford?) that almost went for a TD.  Assuming Rhodes is gone by 29, Trufant would be my choice if we're targeting a CB high.  He also has an excellent pedigree with two brothers in the league. 

With the uncertainty of Dennard and Talib, we have to think CB is a priority at the moment, however, I haven't seen BB in the stands the past two days.  He was there earlier for the offense.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I like Slay a lot, had him as my Rd 3 pick in my most recent mock... might have moved himself into Rd 2, or atleast the Top 75.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

That 4.61 from Banks is pretty disappointing... not sure I'm still on board with him as a Rd 1 option at this point.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

40's are nice to know with CB's but how often do they actually turn and run completely down the field with a WR? I'm more interested in their redirection ability and backpedal honestly. They could run a 4.20 but if they can't turn and backpedal they are useless on the field

I do not disagree. I do think, however, that the changes to how the game is played now and how other teams are attacking the Pats D, I believe the 40 time is becoming more important. You can argue that burst on the first 10-15 yards is more important. I agree completely. Agility? Sure. 

This is all opinion and personal preference: If you are defending Welker, then fine - excellent agility and average speed will do. If you are defending the taller faster receivers on the good teams, I'd rather have slightly above average agility and excellent speed/quickness.

I just think that if we want DBs to cover receivers tighter, it is necessary for them to have the speed that will allow them to recover on double moves. Else, they will have no choice but keep playing the soft, keep everyone in front, zones, that I personally am tired of. I am not saying they should never play zone. I am just saying they need agile guys who can run faster.

On Slay: NFL Network superimposed the 40s of Miliner, Trufant and Slay. Slay was a full stride ahead of the other two at the 20 yard point. 

I did not see much of the other drills. That said, I included Slay on my list a couple of weeks ago because on youtube at least, he showed very good agility and quickness on the field - IMHO better than Banks (whose only advantage IMO is his height). He can cover. I believe, Mayock mentioned that Slay continued to look better than Banks on the agility drills today. 

I also think Slay fights well for the ball. Cool name too.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Below is a full list of official 40 times for the DB's:

Darius Slay          4.36

Dee Milliner       4.37

Desmond Trufant            4.38

Robert Alford    4.39

Jamar Taylor       4.39

Brandon McGee               4.4

Sanders Commings         4.41

Kayvon Webster              4.41

Rod Sweeting    4.42

Shamarko Thomas           4.42

Steve Williams   4.42

Xavier Rhodes   4.43

David Amerson4.44

Terry Hawthorne             4.44

Earl Wolff            4.44

Shawn Williams4.46

Dwayne Gratz   4.47

Johnny Adams  4.48

Tyrann Mathieu                4.5

Will Davis             4.51

Tharold Simon   4.51

B.W. Webb         4.51

Eric Reid               4.53

Nickell Robey     4.53

Khalid Wooten  4.53

Blidi Wreh-Wilson            4.53

Matt Elam           4.54

Keelan Johnson                4.54

Demetrius Mccray           4.54

Leon McFadden               4.54

Jordan Poyer     4.54

Mike Edwards   4.56

Micah Hyde        4.56

Logan Ryan         4.56

Daxton Swanson    4.56

J.J. Wilcox            4.57

Adrian Bushell   4.58

Josh Evans          4.58

T.J. McDonald    4.59

Johnthan Banks                4.61

Aaron Hester     4.62

Rontez Miles      4.62

Marc Anthony   4.63

Kenny Vaccaro  4.63

Jawanza Starling               4.64

Josh Johnson     4.65

Phillip Thomas   4.65

Robert Lester    4.66

D.J. Swearinger4.67

Daimion Stafford              4.69

Bradley McDougald         4.74

Tony Jefferson  4.75

Zeke Motta        4.83

Duke Williams    --

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

I do not disagree. I do think, however, that the changes to how the game is played now and how other teams are attacking the Pats D, I believe the 40 time is becoming more important. You can argue that burst on the first 10-15 yards is more important. I agree completely. Agility? Sure. 

This is all opinion and personal preference: If you are defending Welker, then fine - excellent agility and average speed will do. If you are defending the taller faster receivers on the good teams, I'd rather have slightly above average agility and excellent speed/quickness.

I just think that if we want DBs to cover receivers tighter, it is necessary for them to have the speed that will allow them to recover on double moves. Else, they will have no choice but keep playing the soft, keep everyone in front, zones, that I personally am tired of. I am not saying they should never play zone. I am just saying they need agile guys who can run faster.

On Slay: NFL Network superimposed the 40s of Miliner, Trufant and Slay. Slay was a full stride ahead of the other two at the 20 yard point. 

I did not see much of the other drills. That said, I included Slay on my list a couple of weeks ago because on youtube at least, he showed very good agility and quickness on the field - IMHO better than Banks (whose only advantage IMO is his height). He can cover. I believe, Mayock mentioned that Slay continued to look better than Banks on the agility drills today. 

I also think Slay fights well for the ball. Cool name too.

"I just think that if we want DBs to cover receivers tighter, it is necessary for them to have the speed that will allow them to recover on double moves. Else, they will have no choice but keep playing the soft, keep everyone in front, zones, that I personally am tired of."

here here!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Hunt is an athletic specimen. Question always has been with him is his rawness. 

I tell you what...I went back and watched some highlights of the hawaii bowl, and he had an amazing performance. 

I am starting to rethink where we might go early in this draft...I know we need help on the inside of the line, but premium pass rushers at the de spot might be more critical assuming we could get a bigger kid inside later, and put our eggs in the love, armstead, Pryor, bucket for the interior of the line. I would love to have a line with 2 guys at 6'5"+, 270+ on the outside, and 6'3"+, 310+ on the inside...

ansah, hunt / Pryor, love / vw / jones. 

Question is what do you do with nink, Francis, bequette, Scott, Cunningham? Seems like we have a lot of depth there but other than nink who is a decent starter, lots of potential but no game changers.

hey lifer

re:

" premium pass rushers at the de spot might be more critical assuming we could get a bigger kid inside later,"

this has been my clraion call since the beginning and if we got ansah and hunt i wont know what to do with myself.

put hunt in the power lifting room to work on his lower body and teach him how to use his legs better and you wont stop that kid. hes a moose.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

those few plays CB's do have to turn and run with WR's are the most important. you don't want a guy who stops a couple short passes and then gets burned for a deep TD. that's the difference b/w a #1 CB and a #2 or slot guy.

That's why we have safeties. I'm not saying I don't want fast CB's who can keep up with quicker WR's but I mean if we are talking a 4.45 CB with better recovery and CoD ability or a 4.34 CB with bad hips and can't backpedal I'd take the 4.45 guy every time. Otherwise what good is the 4.34 guy if all you have to do is run a post with a double move? 3 30+ passes that takes more time of the board resulting in a TD is worse then 1 90+yrd pass that takes no time off the board. Now if we are talking a 4.6 CB yes I'd say you were correct 4.6 does make a difference but then again how many 4.6 guys do you know that also post great cone numbers?