***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

Perhaps. There is a ranking of FA's and smith is behind Talib. I know it is just someone's opinion, but I too think when healthy, Talib to be a better player. Do you think most nfl gm's think the same? If so, smith's price could be equal or lower than talib depending upon if folks feel Talib will stay clean and want to give him a multi year contract with guaranteed money. 

bottomline, lots of decently priced FA cb's going to be available...sign one and draft one I think.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Guys..anyone post here on Michael Buchanan? I don't seem to remember his name coming up, but he is another intriguing DE prospect with good length and speed. Would need to bulk a bit, but he opposite jones would be interesting as both  are 6'5 and 6'6" respectively. Any thoughts on him as a round 3 pick?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Guys..anyone post here on Michael Buchanan? I don't seem to remember his name coming up, but he is another intriguing DE prospect with good length and speed. Would need to bulk a bit, but he opposite jones would be interesting as both  are 6'5 and 6'6" respectively. Any thoughts on him as a round 3 pick?

He's on my board as a Rd 3 option... liked him better than Mercilus on tape last year, love his length and versatility... measured in at a legit 6-5 255 at the combine.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Same here on round 3... Maybe even 4. What I like about him as well is he can line up as 3-4 olb...I have seen him drop back and cover pretty well and set a decent edge although he really needs to add like 10-15 lbs. if he could bulk and add strength, watch out. I also thought the same with chandler jones..good rookie year but could stand to ham sandwich or two. 

The more I think about this draft, I really do believe bb trades out of round 1 all together and adds a second and possibly 3rd. He is going to grab Slay I believe. That is my prediction but I wont guarantee it!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCosoGT0beM

Ryan Swope.....I just watched his youtube and WOW. The kid seems to be a complete recevier:

1) catches the ball away from his body

2) his routes seem sharp , crisp

3) excellent YAC

4) very good game speed (4.36 at combine)

5) 6 ft 200lbs

6) tough to bring down

why no love for Swope?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Has anyone's stock ever fallen as fast and aggressively as Te'o's in such a bizarre manner?  The horrible performance in the National Championship game hurt bad enough, but now in the wake of the fake girlfriend hoax and the poor combine he has been mentioned as a 3rd rounder or worse.  I personally thought that he looked out of shape and lethargic at the combine, and apparently many scouts agreed.  I think that one of the biggest issues that may steer teams away from him is the fact that you would be inviting a huge media circus into your training camp if you draft Te'o, ala Tebow with the Jets last year.  We all saw how well that worked out.  If BB tries to get cute and pick Te'o this year, I swear that I will freak out.  Check out this article I read about him.

A sample of NFL general managers might not have been alarmed by Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o's 4.82 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine, but Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh's immediate reaction was telling.

Harbaugh isn't alone in his disappointment. Asked by NFL.com's Kimberly Jones if anyone at the combine was impressed by Te'o's workout, one head coach replied, "How could you be?"

Another head coach expressed skepticism about Te'o's athleticism before the linebackers even worked out Monday. "I worry about Notre Dame guys," said the coach. "Are they as athletic as they need to be? How does he stack up (with other linebackers)?"

As SiriusXM NFL Radio's Ross Tucker pointed out, Te'o is going to have to show superior talent from day one in the NFL to shake the "catfishing" stigma in his next locker room.

2013 Pro Days Schedule By Date Between the combine and the draft, prospects work out for scouts at individual pro days at their respective schools. Full schedule.

"I don't want him," one veteran scout told Tucker. "Leadership is one of his big positives but he won't have that now because guys in the locker room are going to really be hard on him ... He'll be a target. He's going to have to play lights out for a while to gain that back."

All it takes for Te'o to go off the draft board in the first round is one team that believes he's capable of making an instant impact. He shouldn't get his hopes up. A third head coach told Jones, "He's just not the rare athlete. It's not worth it.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

i think swope is a forum favorite actually. 

My bad....haven't been able to keep up with all the posts.

Is the 2nd/3rd too early for Swope?

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

In response to a post a few pages back, did the Pats pick any of our pre-draft favorites?  No, I'm not that good at this but I remember clearly an interview with Bill Parcells pre-draft and he flat out said if BB had a chance to draft the big left tackle from Colorado, he would--he had the quickness and footwork that BB would value.  I don't know if those guys talk much, but man, they sure think alike.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

That's a bold prediction MB. Especially since the dolphins have gone on record making him a high priority. the only chance he doesn't get signed by the dolphins is because they go after Wallace or Bowe or another expensive WR.

there I'd another kid I like on the phins I hope the pats make a run at and that is Sean smith. I like his size And ability to plat man. Thoughts on Smith? 

ive posted him in a few threads as a fa we need to consider picking up; along with nnamdi and william moore 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

In response to Faucetman's comment:

There are a couple of corners I like who could be there at 29, Rhodes and Trufant.  But I'm sick of spending 1-2 round picks on DBs then watching them bust.  We've had so many of them recently - Meriweather, Wheatley, Butler, Dowling (so far), Chung, possibly Wilson (too soon to tell) and you could say McCourty appears to be a bust at corner. That is a lot of 1-2 round picks wasted!!!  When you consider that our starters at the end of the year were a free agent and 7th round pick it makes me NOT trust BB to draft DBs high.

DT then?

pass rusher, big cb, big fast wr

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Interesting, just heard BB loves guys on the annual freak list. If you don't know what that it is, Bruce Feldman comes out every year with a freak athlete college football list. Past people on the list

11' - Demps (#1), Hightower (honorbale mention)

10' - Solder (5th), Cannon (10th), Mallett (honorable mention)

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4722265/some-freaky-additions-for-patriots

If this trend continues there are some interesting names on the list this year:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/18992316/the-freak-list-the-10-craziest-athletes-in-college-football

Margus Hunt #1 on that list. Could we see BB take him at #29?

Devin Taylor, both MB and I were high on him last year

William Gholston, just missed the cut

Jesse Williams, just missed the cut

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:

i think swope is a forum favorite actually. 

My bad....haven't been able to keep up with all the posts.

Is the 2nd/3rd too early for Swope?

no big deal there is a ton of info within this thread. 

after his great combine i would give him a 2nd round grade, early 3rd at the latest. he's a slightly shorter, but more athletic and fast version of jordy nelson IMO, who was drafted with the #36 pick in 2008. i was hoping swope would be there in the 3rd but i don't think so anymore.

I think he helped himself at the combine. I have seen him mocked since the combine in the late 2nd. In fact, I have seen 1 mock that has him going in the first, but I think that is too high. I think his range is somewhere between 52-68 most likely toward the end of round 2, top of round There are a,ready welker, Shipley comparisons being made and his fast 40 time may be enough for some team to grab him earlier.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Interesting, just heard BB loves guys on the annual freak list. If you don't know what that it is, Bruce Feldman comes out every year with a freak athlete college football list. Past people on the list

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4722265/some-freaky-additions-for-patriots

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/18992316/the-freak-list-the-10-craziest-athletes-in-college-football

I wouldn't mind any of those guys less Gholston. We need to get our second round pick moved up in the top half, or acquire one there in some way. I wouldn't mind bb going 29 with Hunt, and say 40 or so with Slay. Bottomline, we need to add some picks.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Has anyone's stock ever fallen as fast and aggressively as Te'o's in such a bizarre manner?  The horrible performance in the National Championship game hurt bad enough, but now in the wake of the fake girlfriend hoax and the poor combine he has been mentioned as a 3rd rounder or worse.  I personally thought that he looked out of shape and lethargic at the combine, and apparently many scouts agreed.  I think that one of the biggest issues that may steer teams away from him is the fact that you would be inviting a huge media circus into your training camp if you draft Te'o, ala Tebow with the Jets last year.  We all saw how well that worked out.  If BB tries to get cute and pick Te'o this year, I swear that I will freak out.  Check out this article I read about him.

A sample of NFL general managers might not have been alarmed by Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o's 4.82 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine, but Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh's immediate reaction was telling.

Harbaugh isn't alone in his disappointment. Asked by NFL.com's Kimberly Jones if anyone at the combine was impressed by Te'o's workout, one head coach replied, "How could you be?"

Another head coach expressed skepticism about Te'o's athleticism before the linebackers even worked out Monday. "I worry about Notre Dame guys," said the coach. "Are they as athletic as they need to be? How does he stack up (with other linebackers)?"

As SiriusXM NFL Radio's Ross Tucker pointed out, Te'o is going to have to show superior talent from day one in the NFL to shake the "catfishing" stigma in his next locker room.

2013 Pro Days Schedule By Date Between the combine and the draft, prospects work out for scouts at individual pro days at their respective schools. Full schedule.

"I don't want him," one veteran scout told Tucker. "Leadership is one of his big positives but he won't have that now because guys in the locker room are going to really be hard on him ... He'll be a target. He's going to have to play lights out for a while to gain that back."

All it takes for Te'o to go off the draft board in the first round is one team that believes he's capable of making an instant impact. He shouldn't get his hopes up. A third head coach told Jones, "He's just not the rare athlete. It's not worth it.

Actually Spikes stock dropped pretty far after the combine. He was mocked here, and other places in the first round. His 40 time pushed him back into round 2, and if bb hadn't of drafted him then, I wonder how far he would have slid? There are lots of other accounts of kis plummeting like this, but Te'o is an interesting case. Good on the field production, crappy national champ game, crappy combine, made up girlfriend. I still think he is a good football player, but like the article you reference, GM's may be weary because they know guys will give him slack and question is can he handle it and be productive?....if he is hanging around in round 3, I would personally think hard about taking him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Hey fellas.  What do you all think of UNC DT Sylvester Williams?  Has anyone watched much tape on him?  I just watched a little bit of his film, and quite frankly I'm not sure why he isn't being talked about as a Top 20 prospect.  He looked very impressive to me.  Seemed like he had a ton on power, a very quick first step, and some decent pass rush moves for such a big body.  I've read that he is a little bit raw and has only played football for 4 or 5 years, so maybe this is why most experts have a 2nd round grade on him.  Personally, I think he is a name to keep an eye on as a suprise 1st round pick this spring.  Wouldn't suprise me if BB is pretty interested in this guy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Hey fellas.  What do you all think of UNC DT Sylvester Williams?  Has anyone watched much tape on him?  I just watched a little bit of his film, and quite frankly I'm not sure why he isn't being talked about as a Top 20 prospect.  He looked very impressive to me.  Seemed like he had a ton on power, a very quick first step, and some decent pass rush moves for such a big body.  I've read that he is a little bit raw and has only played football for 4 or 5 years, so maybe this is why most experts have a 2nd round grade on him.  Personally, I think he is a name to keep an eye on as a suprise 1st round pick this spring.  Wouldn't suprise me if BB is pretty interested in this guy.

I posted this about the DB S. Williams by mistake but meant it for the DT S. Williams so here's my take on him

Good player with nice explosion, well developed one on one moves, can be disruptive in both the run and passing game.

The issues I see with him is that he can have blinders on when forcing on pass rush which prevents him seeing easy gaps, the QB rolling out, draws, and screens. He's very inconsistent with his plays being dominant at points then being dominated at others by mediocre talent. Very good motor but conditioning was fairly poor and can wear down quickly. Can get lost in doubles.

Should be a late 1st early 2nd round talent but I don't think he has a very high ceiling like J. Williams and doesn't have the consistent play regardless of situation like a Hankins or Jenkins.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I have him on my board in Rd 1, but agree with PE that he's at the very least a Top 50 prospect.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Don't know if anyone is using this site, but they have a lot of good videos by position.

http://draftbreakdown.com/category/videos

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Don't if anyone is using this site, but they have a lot of good videos by position.

http://draftbreakdown.com/category/videos

Thanks for the link, JJ.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

"Devin Taylor, both MB and I were high on him last year"

ditto

and is ansah on that list?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

he and floyd were on my list from ealry on, when they were nowhere near the first round (now floyd is beign mocked at #3)

Sections
Shortcuts