***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Starks and Melton both tagged. This makes the quality of DT's in FA very thin. Combine that with the deep DT draft it's looking increasing more friendly to get a DT with #29 then to try to go the FA route or later in the draft

It almost makes too much sense for them to select a DT in Rd 1:

1.  They can use an upgrade.

2.  There should be one available.

3.  BB is very good at identifying/drafting/developing high round DL talent.

That's what I keep telling myself as well, and seems logical, but with him bringing in armstead, vega, Pryor back, Francis and forston in year 2, is the "need" really there or are we just upgrading? Believe me, would love to see a DT/de drafted early.

PE had touched in this as well, but none of the above have proven that they can start inside next to VW... heck, Pryor has a hard enough time getting on the field.

He's likely trying to maximize his chances of finding a diamond in the rough, and there may be some upside in that group (i.e. Armstead), but no one that would/should prevent them from targeting a DT early, IMO.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

In response to speedster81's comment:

Hey Speed,

I like the detail and level of analysis.

Things I like:

1.  I think Keenan Lewis is a solid under the radar type CB.

2.  Hartline is a kid I like and one that may make the most sense on the FA market from a value perspective... gives them that big WR presence that can operate outside the #'s and has some sneaky big play ability.

3.  Keeping Welker.

4.  Adding veteran talent along the DL though they'll need to do some background work on Bryant http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/24/raiders-desmond-bryant-arrested/

5.  Quanterus Smith as a late round/upside pick (assuming he's available).

Neutral:

1.  Lattimore could be good value in Rd 3, assuming bigger needs are addressed.

2.  Hunter does have intriguing size/athleticism/big play ability, there are kids that I like better, but it'd be tough to NOT like this pick.

Things that I don't like:

1.  I see the value of adding a hybrid type player, but not (2) of them (Maiava, is quite undersized at 6-0 229 pounds... their regular backers are all 240+)... would rather mix in a pure SS type (I know BB likes them interchangeable, so a versatile kid is key), or at least a player that brings some physicality to the backend of the defense.  Gooden is an athletic kid that moves well, but looks like more of a finesse player on tape.  They really have no intimidating presence to speak off in the secondary.

2.  Sure hoping their first pick isn't an OG, unless his name is Chance Warmack (not happening) or Jon Cooper (possible) Warford's a big talented kid, but I think his skillset/movement ability translates better to a power scheme like Pittsburgh's vs. NE's which values quicker, more agile type OG's.  Would prefer a Brian Schwenke or David Quessenberry or Jeff Baca or Hugh Thornton etc. between Rd's 3-4... or maybe a Tanner Hawkinson (from Charlie Weis' system at Kansas) later on Day 3.

3.  Would prefer to address the defense with at least one of their first two picks (i.e. a DT, edge rusher or DB).

Regarding picking OG early; I too would rather get a Player on Defense with our top picks but if Warford is available early to mid second he IMO would be the best value at that point. He seems to move pretty well on tape inspite of his size that is why I think even a team like ours which zone blocks will have him on their draft board as a Right Guard.

Kaluka Maiava would be an upgrade to Tracy White as he actually has the talent and NFL game tape to prove he deserves snaps on defense not just Special Teams. I had us picking Gooden in addition to Maiava because I believe with the proliferation of teams not only passing in 3 wide sets but also running out of same said sets, the value of a player who can play a slot receiver or TE in press man while not being a detriment in the run game is crucial. While a Nickel CB or TE weighing 210 can give you the coverage ability they most certainly will hurt you in the run game. Baltimore for instance had more efficient production from its run game running out of a single back 3 wide set than it did with a 2 back set with Vonta Leach as the lead blocker.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the fast agile lighter LB is as important as any position in the game today and that is why I think we need 2 of those guys for depth reasons seeing that we currently have none. Arthur Brown from Kansas State is arguably the premier such player in this years draft as in addition to doing what Gooden does he also attacks blockers head on like a player who weighs 20 pounds more than he does. However, he is expected to go late first early second and doesnt quite have the speed and movement skills of Gooden.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Looks like Goldson may be in play if BB is interested... we should know for sure shortly.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/308585427999268864

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Looks like Goldson may be in play if BB is interested... we should know for sure shortly.

8 more days. FA doesn't start until the 12th I believe but I would endorse this move

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

8 more days. FA doesn't start until the 12th I believe but I would endorse this move

But 4PM today is the Franchise deadline, correct?  I agree that they could still sign him to more of a longterm deal, but avoide the tag is the first step.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

If we sign FS Goldson, then McCourty moves back to corner.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I think you'd have Goldson and DMC as your starting safeties under this scenario... Goldson has the size and physicality to excel down in the box when needed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Goldson plays more of a SS position then a FS position so McCourty and Goldson would be your starters with Wilson and Gregory as backups. I'd could live with that if they get a vet starting CB, Dennard misses no time, and they get a talented slot CB in the draft (Davis, McFadden, Alford, Mathieu)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

I wonder if Justin Hunter will go late first? To me he looks like he has some serious upside and at his size may turn into something. Is it me, or does he kind of look like Moss? He's got that length, yet that ability to move like a smaller guy.

mid 2nd ish

trade bakc a few get carradine

up in rd 2 for pick of wr or wait til bottom to who falls

cb safety or o line in rd 3

#1 and #2 cb in fa and pas rusher, maybe safety too.

Carradine is certainly interesting - I have a very hard time making a judgement on a player when they play opposite another talented player. The kid on the other side is pretty darn good and seems like he gets off the ball at the snap a little quicker than Carradine. Carradine I'm sure faces better tackles and more blockers, but some of those sacks he had were the result of the other guy. It's a tough call with that knee injury.

I remember watching Seymore at Georgia when he had Stroud next to him and I thought...wow, both of these guys can really play. Then I watched Brace play next to that top ten tackle and I thought...wow, both of these guys are really good (and I was clearly wrong). I'm finding it to be similar watching all these recievers from Tennessee...they all look so good, but you wonder if it has more to do with the talent around them allowing them to be so open...plus they have a QB with an NFL arm throwing to them.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Goldson plays more of a SS position then a FS position so McCourty and Goldson would be your starters with Wilson and Gregory as backups. I'd could live with that if they get a vet starting CB, Dennard misses no time, and they get a talented slot CB in the draft (Davis, McFadden, Alford, Mathieu)

Don't know if I'm wrong about Goldson, but to me he looks like a guy that just loves football and man does he know how to hit and tackle. During the Super Bowl there was a play when he was in the box and he just flew in like a missle and made this low hit on a runner...I mean he couldn't of gotten any lower or faster. We haven't had a guy like that in a long time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I wonder if Justin Hunter will go late first? To me he looks like he has some serious upside and at his size may turn into something. Is it me, or does he kind of look like Moss? He's got that length, yet that ability to move like a smaller guy.

mid 2nd ish

Carradine is certainly interesting - I have a very hard time making a judgement on a player when they play opposite another talented player. The kid on the other side is pretty darn good and seems like he gets off the ball at the snap a little quicker than Carradine. Carradine I'm sure faces better tackles and more blockers, but some of those sacks he had were the result of the other guy. It's a tough call with that knee injury.

I remember watching Seymore at Georgia when he had Stroud next to him and I thought...wow, both of these guys can really play. Then I watched Brace play next to that top ten tackle and I thought...wow, both of these guys are really good (and I was clearly wrong). I'm finding it to be similar watching all these recievers from Tennessee...they all look so good, but you wonder if it has more to do with the talent around them allowing them to be so open...plus they have a QB with an NFL arm throwing to them.  

It can kinda go both ways... Werner is a very good football player, but he too benefited from having Jenkins and then Carradine across from him.  I try to watch his individual skillset and that's what tells me that he should be a good player at the NFL level.  Very size/length, long arms, versatile (can operate out of the 2 point stance or with a hand in the dirt), instinctive good play speed/effort, very good in pursuit and should be at least a very good run defender as a rookie due to his length, hand usage and strength at the POA.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Starks and Melton both tagged. This makes the quality of DT's in FA very thin. Combine that with the deep DT draft it's looking increasing more friendly to get a DT with #29 then to try to go the FA route or later in the draft

That's what I keep telling myself as well, and seems logical, but with him bringing in armstead, vega, Pryor back, Francis and forston in year 2, is the "need" really there or are we just upgrading? Believe me, would love to see a DT/de drafted early.

PE had touched in this as well, but none of the above have proven that they can start inside next to VW... heck, Pryor has a hard enough time getting on the field.

He's likely trying to maximize his chances of finding a diamond in the rough, and there may be some upside in that group (i.e. Armstead), but no one that would/should prevent them from targeting a DT early, IMO.

I would not discount the FA market totally; some otptions that could work with VW.  Bryant just had some trouble with the law, but could provide the interior rush. The guy I like is Sammie Lee Hill. Hill will command double teams. These guys will complement Vince but never replace him.

Desmond Bryant, DT, (6'5", 290) Raiders. Age: 27.
    Desmond Bryant served as a solid interior pass-rusher after Richard Seymour was lost for the year. Excluding Lamarr Houston, no other Raider defensive lineman was better at applying pressure on the quarterback. 

Sammie Lee Hill, DT, (6'4", 330) Lions. Age: 26.
    Sammie Lee Hill could start for some teams, as he does a decent job of pressuring the quarterback. He just hasn't had much of a chance in Detroit because he's been behind Ndamukong Suh, Nick Fairley and Corey Williams on the depth chart.

Corey Williams, DT, (6'3", 320) Lions. Age: 33.
    Corey Williams should still be able to be a solid rotational lineman, but his best days are behind him. He played in only seven games in 2012.

Other possibilities, K. Williams, Minn and I know everyone will say no, but Richard Seymour if healthy on a short term contract.  Combine one of these guys with a High round draft DT and I think the team would be in good shape.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

I would not discount the FA market totally; some otptions that could work with VW.  Bryant just had some trouble with the law, but could provide the interior rush. The guy I like is Sammie Lee Hill. Hill will command double teams. These guys will complement Vince but never replace him.

Desmond Bryant served as a solid interior pass-rusher after Richard Seymour was lost for the year. Excluding Lamarr Houston, no other Raider defensive lineman was better at applying pressure on the quarterback. 

Sammie Lee Hill could start for some teams, as he does a decent job of pressuring the quarterback. He just hasn't had much of a chance in Detroit because he's been behind Ndamukong Suh, Nick Fairley and Corey Williams on the depth chart.

Corey Williams should still be able to be a solid rotational lineman, but his best days are behind him. He played in only seven games in 2012.

Other possibilities, K. Williams, Minn and I know everyone will say no, but Richard Seymour if healthy on a short term contract.  Combine one of these guys with a High round draft DT and I think the team would be in good shape.

Agree With this, I wonder about Bryant...seems to be a popular name being throw around right now. Is he a one year wonder? And I think he just had some off field trouble too.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

Actually Donte Whitner plays the Strong Safety Role in SF. Goldson is almost exclusively a FS under Fangios defense. No saying he can't play the box safety role just that it hasn't been what he has been doing of late.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

mid 2nd ish

It can kinda go both ways... Werner is a very good football player, but he too benefited from having Jenkins and then Carradine across from him.  I try to watch his individual skillset and that's what tells me that he should be a good player at the NFL level.  Very size/length, long arms, versatile (can operate out of the 2 point stance or with a hand in the dirt), instinctive good play speed/effort, very good in pursuit and should be at least a very good run defender as a rookie due to his length, hand usage and strength at the POA.

You talking about Werner or Carradine? Or both? Because if you are talking about Carradine then we should grab him...if he's not gone already. Maybe Jones could move over to the other side - you can't have too many guys like that. I've got to think he will start to do something around November because of that knee.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

mid 2nd ish

good points

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:

I mentioned that I like Rhodes. But I doubt the Pats have a realistic shot, he sort of has to fall a little bit. I like swope and could see him as a Shipley/Decker type wr. My main issue with some of these mocks is that I am seeing too many players ( Lattimore) that could fall to the pats because of injuries. I'd rather grab some draftee on his way up the board than player who is on his way down.  TaLib is the big issue Imo because CB is the big need if the pats don't sign him and Dennard misses time. Also if Mallet is traded the Pats will draft a qb in first 4 rounds.

I had a man crush on Decker back in 2010, but NE came away with Taylor Price (3) picks later, so all is well, haha... Decker is more of a pure outside WR based on size (6-3 218) and skill set.  Decker, Golden Tate and Randall Cobb are the (3) WR's that I've wanted most since we've been doing the Draft Thread.

There was a big run on WR's that startered in that round just a bit before the Pats picked. They were left with the leftovers.

Decker and Thomas also had the two top, or two of the top, wonderlic scores that year for WR's. You think talent + wonderlic is just a coincidence McD drafted them both that year?

Hoping he can channel some of that WR drafting ability into this years class.

:)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Agree With this, I wonder about Bryant...seems to be a popular name being throw around right now. Is he a one year wonder? And I think he just had some off field trouble too.

Yah, Bryant did something. "Oakland Raiders DT Desmond Bryant was arrested in Florida Sunday, Feb. 24, and has been charged with criminal mischief."

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/player/21314/NFL/desmond-bryant#ixzz2McCy6IMM   Not sure if he is a one year wonder, he only had 3 sacks in 2012 after getting 5 in 2011.  He does seem to be consistent with tackles. Overall, it seems he is improving each year but not a big leap. I still think he is young enough to get to the next level.  However, I think he will not command a salary at the high end of the spectrum.  Again all these players I listed are better than Love and Deaderick, but not by much.  Is it worth the investment to get the DL stout and with some push besides Vince. I say yes.   I think between one of these guys and a draftee it would work.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

mid 2nd ish

You talking about Werner or Carradine? Or both? Because if you are talking about Carradine then we should grab him...if he's not gone already. Maybe Jones could move over to the other side - you can't have too many guys like that. I've got to think he will start to do something around November because of that knee.

The initial part of my comment above was that I think Werner benefited from having a very good talent across him and vice versa, though the feedback about skill set above was about Carradine's game.  He's the #2 player on my board (behind Jesse Williams), but could easily have him #1 or at least #1A based on talent/skill/upside.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

Louisiana Tech WR Quinton Patton is "just a guy," according to one unnamed NFL scout.

"I’m not a big fan," the scout noted. "The best he’s going to be is a No. 3 for you, if that." Patton is anything but flashy, winning with body control and fluidity, but we feel he can be a dependable second receiver in the NFL.

never been on patton. 

best player looking available these days at 29 and the best player at the position we need most, i have as carradine

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Actually Donte Whitner plays the Strong Safety Role in SF. Goldson is almost exclusively a FS under Fangios defense. No saying he can't play the box safety role just that it hasn't been what he has been doing of late.

You might be right, I just remember Goldson playing in the box a lot and in TE coverage and run support.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think mccourty or gholdson could play in the box or cover the TE decently. People look at mccourty and his somewhat wirey build and write him off as a FS. He is a solid tackler, can play in the box. He isn't going to lay the wood, but I prefer someone who takes good angles and wraps up. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Louisiana Tech WR Quinton Patton is "just a guy," according to one unnamed NFL scout.

"I’m not a big fan," the scout noted. "The best he’s going to be is a No. 3 for you, if that." Patton is anything but flashy, winning with body control and fluidity, but we feel he can be a dependable second receiver in the NFL.

I agree more with the latter opinion above, though I'd still prefer that they target a veteran (i.e. Hartline) in FA and maybe double back with a Rd 3 or Day 3 WR as well... save the first (2) picks for defensive talent.  At the same time, if they somehow come away with Hopkins or Austin in the Top 64, I won't be angry.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

never been on patton. 

best player looking available these days at 29 and the best player at the position we need most, i have as carradine

If Tank gets healthy enough to have a workout prior to the draft and performs well he will not be there at #29 imo.

Sections
Shortcuts