***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to Godvernment's comment:

Louisiana Tech WR Quinton Patton is "just a guy," according to one unnamed NFL scout.

"I’m not a big fan," the scout noted. "The best he’s going to be is a No. 3 for you, if that." Patton is anything but flashy, winning with body control and fluidity, but we feel he can be a dependable second receiver in the NFL.

never been on patton. 

best player looking available these days at 29 and the best player at the position we need most, i have as carradine

If Tank gets healthy enough to have a workout prior to the draft and performs well he will not be there at #29 imo.

lets hope for a lil luck

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I just want to say, for the record, that Pro Day 40 times are complete garbage.  Every track is different, sometimes there might be a tail wind, sometimes a head wind.  Even the timing can be done differently depending upon location.  There is a reason why most guys run better times at their pro days vs at the combine.  At least at the combine everyone is running on the same track under the same conditions.  Those times tell the real story.  Supposedly some guy from Northern Iowa ran a 4.19 at his Pro Day.  I just have to wonder what that would have been at the combine.  I'm sure he's fast, but that's really elite speed.  Don't be fooled by Pro Day 40 times, there can be a lot of variables.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

I just want to say, for the record, that Pro Day 40 times are complete garbage.  Every track is different, sometimes there might be a tail wind, sometimes a tail wind.  Even the timing can be done differently depending upon location.  There is a reason why most guys run better times at their pro days vs at the combine.  At least at the combine everyone is running on the same track under the same conditions.  Those times tell the real story.  Supposedly some guy from Northern Iowa ran a 4.19 at his Pro Day.  I just have to wonder what that would have been at the combine.  I'm sure he's fast, but that's really elite speed.  Don't be fooled by Pro Day 40 times, there can be a lot of variables.

I do like the controlled environment, uniform measurement of time aspect of the Combine.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I know there was FA talk on here, PatsEng bringing up Nelson from buffalo. I like it, but what about grabbing Jared cook from Tennessee ? 6'5", 250, runs a 4.49 40 and has been productive. He could also serve as a backup TE, but I would primarily put him outside on in the slot,..use welkers money here...thoughts?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

And grab Nelson....we would have 4 guys over 6'5" on the field at once. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

WR position taken care of in FA with cook and Nelson...use draft to grab Dt, Cb anlb safety/lb...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from braunzy. Show braunzy's posts

Louisiana Tech WR Quinton Patton is "just a guy," according to one unnamed NFL scout.

"I’m not a big fan," the scout noted. "The best he’s going to be is a No. 3 for you, if that." Patton is anything but flashy, winning with body control and fluidity, but we feel he can be a dependable second receiver in the NFL.

never been on patton. 

best player looking available these days at 29 and the best player at the position we need most, i have as carradine

If Tank gets healthy enough to have a workout prior to the draft and performs well he will not be there at #29 imo.

lets hope for a lil luck

I think without the knee injury, partly because it appears this isn't a draft filled with elite talent, he would have been a top 15 pick.  I think Seattle and Denver are real possiblities for him before the Pats picked, and I would be happy to pick him up at 29.

In my opinion he would do very well for the Pats, and I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be one of the better players out of this draft

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to braunzy's comment:

never been on patton. 

lets hope for a lil luck

I think without the knee injury, partly because it appears this isn't a draft filled with elite talent, he would have been a top 15 pick.  I think Seattle and Denver are real possiblities for him before the Pats picked, and I would be happy to pick him up at 29.

In my opinion he would do very well for the Pats, and I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be one of the better players out of this draft

agreed and i read top 10 if nto for the knee.

if i feel he goes 2 picks earlier i trade up with a 2014 pick

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

The link below is a good article on John Jenkins,DT, Georgia, (6'4" 346).  This is the time of year you get tidbits of info on why stuff happened during the college season.  His stock has dropped a bit.  He should be there at 29.

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/sports/article_41171762-83b7-11e2-b382-001a4bcf887a.html

He had a concussion that made him miss final exams and then become academically ineligible.

......Of particular interest to the team reps are the medical issues. Teams want to know how a player’s body has held up to four years of wear and tear at the college level, Jenkins said.

Such concerns, Jenkins explained, were at the root of a bit of misperception about him back in late December. The senior did not play on New Year’s Day in the Capital One Bowl. It was reported at the time that Jenkins was academically ineligible. In truth, Jenkins said, he sustained a concussion in Georgia’s loss to eventual national champ Alabama in the SEC conference final.

The concussion, along with curtailing Jenkins’ football activities, kept him from taking a few final exams. When it was clear Jenkins wouldn’t be ready to play on New Year’s Day, academic ineligibility rather than the injury was given as the reason. It was considered the lesser of two evils.

“If you’ve ever had a concussion, you can’t do too much,” Jenkins said Friday night. “I didn’t want that to get out because I didn’t want to hurt my draft status.”

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

UDFA

James Nelson, OT (6-6, 321) -- 5.77 (40)   18 bench

UTEP Pro Day Notes: Six teams were present to watch James Nelson work out, according to Gil Brandt: Giants, Packers, Cardinals, Patriots, Titans and Raiders. Nelson could be a priority free agent, thanks to his impressive 36 1/2-inch arms.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Anyone notice this kid Tyler Bray throwing the ball when you try to take a look at those Tennessee recievers? Wow, to me he looks like he can throw it better than half the guys starting in the NFL right now. There was one throw I saw him do where there was an inside rush on him and he never had his feet set before he threw a thirty yard toss along the sidelines. Pretty amazing stuff. Then again not every college quarterback was throwing to the talent he was throwing to, but still..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Anyone notice this kid Tyler Bray throwing the ball when you try to take a look at those Tennessee recievers? Wow, to me he looks like he can throw it better than half the guys starting in the NFL right now. There was one throw I saw him do where there was an inside rush on him and he never had his feet set before he threw a thirty yard toss along the sidelines. Pretty amazing stuff. Then again not every college quarterback was throwing to the talent he was throwing to, but still..

I mentioned Bray way back in this thread.  I think he will move up, but a reach for 1st round.

http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/2013/01/tyler-bray-scouting-report/

Athleticism:
    -Plays with very slow and heavy feet, struggles to reset them when moving through options or after a pump fake
    -Can’t create space for himself in the open field, very rarely picks up yardage with his feet
    -Very slight of frame with a thin lower half

Arm Talent:
    +Generally an accurate passer, but ball placement severely lacking
    +The deep ball is his specialty, can make “bucket” throws down the sidelines with adequate arm strength
    +High velocity bails him out of traffic throws at times, can rifle the ball in with a clean pocket and proper mechanics
    -Velocity inconsistencies arise due to mechanical issues, will leave some short passes in the dirt, then laser one in 30 yards downfield
    -Mechanics worsen the farther downfield he wants to throw, elongated wind-up gets longer and longer
    +Has enough natural arm talent to make throws from multiple arm angles even with poor footwork
    -Ball comes out low despite height, prone to batted passes at the line

Pocket Presence:
    -Very poor decision maker under pressure, game speeds up too much for him
    -Incredibly squeamish about hanging in late to deliver the ball, will not sacrifice himself to wait for receiver to break in his route
    -Often feels pressure that’s not there and continually backs farther and farther away
    -Allows his lead shoulder to fly open when trying to get rid of it quickly under pressure, steps to the side throws with all arm
    -Drops his eyes quickly when trying to elude pressure
    -Poor handler of the football, very loose with it even when eluding pressure; very fumble prone
    -Footwork falls apart if he’s not able to get it out on time with his drop
    -Threw the ball up into double coverage late if pressure was on its way on numerous occasions

Command of Offense:
    +Flashes anticipation skills for receivers moving in and out of defender’s zones
    -Locks eyes onto receivers too often which defensive backs can easily follow
    -Really struggles when initial reads fail and is forced to improvise outside of the pocket, unable to cover ground to create space or reset his feet on the move
    +Showed a developed ability to anticipate and place a back shoulder throw as a junior
    -Offensive scheme at its most complex was an either-or read with a check down, field often cut in half
    +Showed ability to make pre-snap reads occasionally, especially with blitzers
    Leadership/Intangibles:
    +Very emotional player, will ride the highs and lows of the team
    -Benched in the Vanderbilt game for what the coaches deemed to be “too amped up” causing poor play
    -Didn’t improve at the rate most expected since getting 5 starts as a true freshman

Overall:
    Tyler Bray smartly declared after his top weapons Justin Hunter and Cordarrelle Patterson decided to bolt for the league. That’s saying something considering how raw Bray is as a quarterback prospect. His natural ability to sling the ball all around the field is undeniable, but so are his inconsistent results. Even in an offense with more talent than most quarterbacks are afforded, Bray is incredibly up and down. One play he places a seam route right between a linebacker and a safety on a rope. The next his footwork fails under pressure and a simple hook route lands in the dirt. To make matters worse, he’s shown signs of immaturity and lets his emotions get the best of him all too often. Quite simply, he’s not read to see the field against professional defenses any time soon. He needs to sit and learn behind a seasoned veteran while fixing some mechanical issues that will take time. Because the quarterback position is so highly valued and Bray has impressive natural ability, he still warrants a pick early on Saturday.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

never been on patton. 

lets hope for a lil luck

It's always a good thing

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

I mentioned Bray way back in this thread.  I think he will move up, but a reach for 1st round.

http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/2013/01/tyler-bray-scouting-report/

Athleticism:
    -Plays with very slow and heavy feet, struggles to reset them when moving through options or after a pump fake
    -Can’t create space for himself in the open field, very rarely picks up yardage with his feet
    -Very slight of frame with a thin lower half

Arm Talent:
    +Generally an accurate passer, but ball placement severely lacking
    +The deep ball is his specialty, can make “bucket” throws down the sidelines with adequate arm strength
    +High velocity bails him out of traffic throws at times, can rifle the ball in with a clean pocket and proper mechanics
    -Velocity inconsistencies arise due to mechanical issues, will leave some short passes in the dirt, then laser one in 30 yards downfield
    -Mechanics worsen the farther downfield he wants to throw, elongated wind-up gets longer and longer
    +Has enough natural arm talent to make throws from multiple arm angles even with poor footwork
    -Ball comes out low despite height, prone to batted passes at the line

Pocket Presence:
    -Very poor decision maker under pressure, game speeds up too much for him
    -Incredibly squeamish about hanging in late to deliver the ball, will not sacrifice himself to wait for receiver to break in his route
    -Often feels pressure that’s not there and continually backs farther and farther away
    -Allows his lead shoulder to fly open when trying to get rid of it quickly under pressure, steps to the side throws with all arm
    -Drops his eyes quickly when trying to elude pressure
    -Poor handler of the football, very loose with it even when eluding pressure; very fumble prone
    -Footwork falls apart if he’s not able to get it out on time with his drop
    -Threw the ball up into double coverage late if pressure was on its way on numerous occasions

Command of Offense:
    +Flashes anticipation skills for receivers moving in and out of defender’s zones
    -Locks eyes onto receivers too often which defensive backs can easily follow
    -Really struggles when initial reads fail and is forced to improvise outside of the pocket, unable to cover ground to create space or reset his feet on the move
    +Showed a developed ability to anticipate and place a back shoulder throw as a junior
    -Offensive scheme at its most complex was an either-or read with a check down, field often cut in half
    +Showed ability to make pre-snap reads occasionally, especially with blitzers
    Leadership/Intangibles:
    +Very emotional player, will ride the highs and lows of the team
    -Benched in the Vanderbilt game for what the coaches deemed to be “too amped up” causing poor play
    -Didn’t improve at the rate most expected since getting 5 starts as a true freshman

Overall:
    Tyler Bray smartly declared after his top weapons Justin Hunter and Cordarrelle Patterson decided to bolt for the league. That’s saying something considering how raw Bray is as a quarterback prospect. His natural ability to sling the ball all around the field is undeniable, but so are his inconsistent results. Even in an offense with more talent than most quarterbacks are afforded, Bray is incredibly up and down. One play he places a seam route right between a linebacker and a safety on a rope. The next his footwork fails under pressure and a simple hook route lands in the dirt. To make matters worse, he’s shown signs of immaturity and lets his emotions get the best of him all too often. Quite simply, he’s not read to see the field against professional defenses any time soon. He needs to sit and learn behind a seasoned veteran while fixing some mechanical issues that will take time. Because the quarterback position is so highly valued and Bray has impressive natural ability, he still warrants a pick early on Saturday.

Well with that said, he sounds like a guy that needs to grow up, be coached and improve...a lot. A team will fall in love with that arm though. I think he throws the ball better than Mallett and seems to get rid of it quicker too. I'm going to guess he lands in the second, but with that scouting report, I'm no longer amazed by what I saw. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

im really hoping we get a #1 adn #2 cb in fa (talib/smith) plus a #2 

the players im liking the most right now in round 1 for impact in 1 of the 3 positions we most need help (pass rusher, outisde wr legit threat and cb) are:

#1 carradine

#2 hopkins.

1 more, if we did get a #1 and #2 cb in fa, id trade whatever necessary for those 2 players and be happy going home with nothing more from the draft.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

TJ Mo's detailed article about the combine.   (Link below)

What I like about this is that they it gives you insight into how the NFL looks these guys. No wonder guys were falling asleep.

.....Day 2 started EARLY. Drug testing was scheduled to begin at 4:30 a.m. However, I decided to wake up at 3:50. I was one of the first players in line. Testing started at 4:12 and I was back in my bed sleeping at 4:26 — outsmarting the system one test at a time. I woke up again at 7 for breakfast. This was the second day of medical testing. There were nine stations that each player was required to go through. The first station was the regular physical exam that anyone would get. They checked for hernias, checked my eyes, ears and throat. After the initial physical, there was a station that checked my vision and another station called FMS (Functional Movement Screening). The FMS checks for symmetry on both sides of your body and a little bit of balance and flexibility. After those stations the real tugging, twisting and pulling began. There are 32 NFL teams. The teams break into six stations of five or six teams per station. Each team groups with the other teams that have similar philosophies or teams that they know they can trust. When I walked into each station I had all of my X-rays, CAT scans and medical history with me. A doctor took it from me and began his examination. They twisted and turned each limb every direction it could go. After finishing his examination, the doctor presented me to the rest of the room. They sat me in the middle of the room on a table, gathered around and spouted off all of my medical history. The funny thing is that no doctor trusts the others. Each and every doctor wanted to touch my surgically repaired foot to make sure it was stable. I checked out with every doctor and passed every physical with every team. After medical exams were finished, I was asked to do some interviews. Those didn't take nearly as long. Thirty minutes and I was finished. I had time to squeeze in another nap after media interviews before dinner and team interviews.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/sports/mu_football/twists-turns-of-the-combine/article_1c4354d8-85c8-11e2-8699-10604b9f6eda.html

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

What I like about this is that they it gives you insight into how the NFL looks these guys. No wonder guys were falling asleep.

.....Day 2 started EARLY. Drug testing was scheduled to begin at 4:30 a.m. However, I decided to wake up at 3:50. I was one of the first players in line. Testing started at 4:12 and I was back in my bed sleeping at 4:26 — outsmarting the system one test at a time. I woke up again at 7 for breakfast. This was the second day of medical testing. There were nine stations that each player was required to go through. The first station was the regular physical exam that anyone would get. They checked for hernias, checked my eyes, ears and throat. After the initial physical, there was a station that checked my vision and another station called FMS (Functional Movement Screening). The FMS checks for symmetry on both sides of your body and a little bit of balance and flexibility. After those stations the real tugging, twisting and pulling began. There are 32 NFL teams. The teams break into six stations of five or six teams per station. Each team groups with the other teams that have similar philosophies or teams that they know they can trust. When I walked into each station I had all of my X-rays, CAT scans and medical history with me. A doctor took it from me and began his examination. They twisted and turned each limb every direction it could go. After finishing his examination, the doctor presented me to the rest of the room. They sat me in the middle of the room on a table, gathered around and spouted off all of my medical history. The funny thing is that no doctor trusts the others. Each and every doctor wanted to touch my surgically repaired foot to make sure it was stable. I checked out with every doctor and passed every physical with every team. After medical exams were finished, I was asked to do some interviews. Those didn't take nearly as long. Thirty minutes and I was finished. I had time to squeeze in another nap after media interviews before dinner and team interviews.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/sports/mu_football/twists-turns-of-the-combine/article_1c4354d8-85c8-11e2-8699-10604b9f6eda.html

Really interesting. Reminds me a lot of my thesis review. 10 hrs of non stop presentations and having every last piece of work I did critqued, questioned, and broken down by a board who would sometimes ask repeat question at random times just to see if I'd change my response. It really is exhausting when you finish both mentally and physically

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

im really hoping we get a #1 adn #2 cb in fa (talib/smith) plus a #2 

the players im liking the most right now in round 1 for impact in 1 of the 3 positions we most need help (pass rusher, outisde wr legit threat and cb) are:

#1 carradine

#2 hopkins.

1 more, if we did get a #1 and #2 cb in fa, id trade whatever necessary for those 2 players and be happy going home with nothing more from the draft.

Mike Dussault, an editorialist for the Globe, wrote a very impressive piece on the Patriot's vulnerability on first downs and seemed to suggest that signing a 3rd down rushing penetrator might not be our greatest need. If you haven't yet read his editorial it's worth the read. It seemed to suggest that we need 3-down players at DT, MLB and S since it's now a predominantly PASSING LEAGUE. We're particularly vulnerable over the middle (no surprise) but his statistics are telling.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

WR position taken care of in FA with cook and Nelson...use draft to grab Dt, Cb anlb safety/lb...

Not a bad idea but I think that makes the team a bit to one dimensional as far as receivers go. I'm assuming you move Hern into Welkers spot. Cook would back up Hern directly, Nelson moves into the #2/3 WR spot and you keep Lloyd. If my assumption is true then you have some miss match problems created but you as once again limiting most of the receptions to the middle of the field which teams could clog. I'd say go with either Cook or Nelson (not both) and then try to find a deeper threat receiver. I'm not saying a burner but an outside the numbers deeper threat to diversify the O. Whether that comes via draft or FA doesn't matter but someone to get balls in the 15+yrd rang away from the box. I'd be interested to see what the NYG tender Cruz at 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Really interesting. Reminds me a lot of my thesis review. 10 hrs of non stop presentations and having every last piece of work I did critqued, questioned, and broken down by a board who would sometimes ask repeat question at random times just to see if I'd change my response. It really is exhausting when you finish both mentally and physically

WOW!  10 hours defending a doctoral thesis...impressive! Repeat questions can sometimes disclose "borrowed" content instead of original work....Congrats!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Does anyone else notice when going through mocks that some sites (walterfootball for example) don't even bother trying to analyse why the Pats might take a particular player anymore? They have coockie cutter analysis and just switch out names. IE, I've seen walterfootball use the same reasoning for the Pats to take a DT in the first but switched out between Jenkins, S Williams, Hankins, and Short. It kind of gives me a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that most draft sights have given out trying to pick players for the Pats and instead resort to BPA position picking while it seems like this thread actually gives analysis on particular players and which would be the best fit

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to moskk's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

WOW!  10 hours defending a doctoral thesis...impressive! Repeat questions can sometimes disclose "borrowed" materials instead of original work....Congrats!

it was insane, a board of 5 professors and 1 industry worker and I had 2 professors and 2 personal defenders. It felt like I was on trial for murder. They went through everything, all my notes, my lab books, my publications. They tore down everything I worked on for 7 years even questioning my Laplace transitions. That was the longest day of my acedemic career and the entire time I was thinking they weren't going to accept me because of how deep in detail they got with my work. I was waiting for the shoe to drop and that I made a tiny calc error in the first week of my thesis work that nullified my entire thesis. The hardest part is when they would all go silent after an answer turn to each other whisper stuff back and forth then just stare at you. 2mins of awkward silence then a nod to proceed

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

posted at 3/5/2013 2:20 PM EST

• mbeaulieu07
    • First: 7/20/2006
    • Last: 3/6/2013

Alfred, this is the guy that starts the thread,  got to give credit where credit is due.