***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to Army2LT's comment:

I find it remarkable how much it changes in just a few months.  Guys who were seen as top ten picks fall to the 2nd round, and players come from out of left field to replace them.  I remember watching Floyd in the bowl game and wondered why no one was talking about him, and now he's jumped into the top 5 in many mocks.  

I love going to this site to watch the risers and fallers.

http://www.drafttek.com/Top-100-NFL-Draft-Prospects-2013.asp

Check out the recent fallers-

Star Lotuelei -10

Keenen Allen -7

Damontre Moore -17

Kevin Minter -7

Jonathan Hankins -10

These players could be ripe for the pickin' at #29 (or maybe a short trade up).

Star was understandable, given the report of his heart problem. Even if some doctors say it should not be a problem, teams will wonder how hard they can push him or allow him to push himself.

Hankins, Allen and Minter may be just a matter of fit (positional need and scheme) with whomever is picking.

Moore I think is the only real faller there.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Question for the contributors...

What would the Pats D need to acquire to be able to handle an offense like the Pats'?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

What would the Pats D need to acquire to be able to handle an offense like the Pats'?

An interior DL that can collapse the pocket and/or penetrate, a MLB that can also defend the pass and a safety with a skill set similar to Reed.  Not asking for much am I????

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

2 big top cbs; a top pass rusher, a speed demon cover lb 

and a big tough top safety

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Div 2 QB Peter Lalich....highly sought after High school prospect who had off the field issues and ended up in Division 2.

Anyone have any thought on this late round prospect?

http://www.knowitallfootball.com/2013/02/26/nfl-draft-2013-peter-lalich-the-forgotten-one/

http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201303/reputation-rebuilt-former-prep-stars-uncommon-road-cusp-nfl

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

This is what I wish for in the Pats draft--1st round love to get the kid from Tennessee -Patterson-big tall receiver who can change on a dime and play multiple positions--2nd round --big Dlineman stud to sit next to Big Vince to push the pocket-3rd-- best cover safety available--free agency -OLB and CB and Guard or tackle -that I believe could very well equal SB # 4 for Pats -opinions?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to jimmytantric's comment:

This is what I wish for in the Pats draft--1st round love to get the kid from Tennessee -Patterson-big tall receiver who can change on a dime and play multiple positions--2nd round --big Dlineman stud to sit next to Big Vince to push the pocket-3rd-- best cover safety available--free agency -OLB and CB and Guard or tackle -that I believe could very well equal SB # 4 for Pats -opinions?

1st patterson has not been projected to get anywhere near the pats or i would be discusing him. hopkins (within reach)

2nd we need a edge pass riusher more than dt imo so id trade up in rd 2 and try to get carradine (or get him in rd 1)

if i cant get both carradine and hopkins by trading up with 2014 and 2015 picks and or mallet, there is da' wr rick rogers big bodied wr who can go up and get the ball.

safety is a need but not more than cb imo. udfa for a cb, doubtful you get a player.  gregory isnt great but, improving the cbs will have more impact than leaving them, or halfway doing it at cb and replacing gregory imo.

also fa will improve team at positions we dont fill wiht our top positions more than udfa's can hope to.

fun chatting moves with you jimmy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Here's where I stand right now. My top 5 picks in order of preference:

1st round:

1. Jonathan Hankins DT Ohio
    2. Margus Hunt DE SMU
    3. Jonathan Jenkins DT Georgia
    4. Jesse Williams DT Ala
    5. Xavier Rhodes CB Slorida State

2nd round:

1. Will Davis CB Utah State
    2. Da'Rick Rogers WR Tenn Tech
    3. Tank Carradine DE Florida State
    4. Leon McFadden CB San Diego State
    5. J.J. Wilcox S Georgia Southern

3rd round:

1. Tyrann Mathieu CB LSU
    2. Marcus Wheaton WR Oregon State
    3. Robert Alford CB SE Louisiana
    4. Marquise Wilson WR Washington State
    5.  Kwame Gathers DT Georgia

7th round:

1. Ray Ray Armstrong S Faulkerner University
    2. Chris Gragg TE Arkansas
    3. Sam Schwartzstein C Stanford
    4. Omoregie Uzzi G/C Georgia Tech
    5. Jordan Rodgers QB Vanderbilt

Possible UDFA:

• Quanterus Smith DE W Kentucky
    • Larry Black Jr DT Indiana
    • Dan Buckner WR Arizona
    • Alec Lemon WR Syracuse
    • Kenny Cain OLB/ILB TCU
    • Mike Taylor OLB Wisconsin 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

What's funny is that, even after the combine, my two picks for the Pats 1st rounder haven't changed to me its still Williams or Rhodes. And it's looking alot like Rhodes won't be there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Late round-UDFA

Wisconsin-Platville defensive back Ryan McWethy turned in one of the best workouts of the day.  The small school defender measured 6013 and 226lbs, timed 4.48s in the forty , 3.96s in the short shuttle and 6.76 in the 3-cone.  His other marks included 31-reps on the bench and 37.5-inch vertical jump.  Scouts agreed McWethy is more athlete than football player yet with proper coaching he has a chance to make it at the next level.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6811

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

As is the case with most pro-days, the forty time, especially for cornerback Jonathan Banks, were all over the place.  Some teams had him in the low 4.5’s (4.51) while others timed him in the mid 4.6’s (4.64).  In the end his official time is likely to reside somewhere around 4.58s.  Banks did look good in drills, in fact much better than his combine showing.  He was relaxed throughout the workout, quickly getting out of breaks and showing good hands for the interception.  As we reported earlier, something later confirmed when the workout was complete, the New England Patriots seem very interested in Banks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

March 5th

Tuskegee

While the Tuskegee pro-day takes place later this afternoon, the teams star running back, Derrick Washington, actually participated in Troy State’s pro-day yesterday.

Washington timed in the 4.6’s after tipping the scale at 226-pounds.  He posted marks of 31.5-inches in the vertical jump, 9′-3” in the broad and 19-reps on the bench. Washington will also participate in position drills during pro-day at Tuskegee today.

Many may remember Washington from his days at Missouri, when he looked like a promising NFL prospect.  His college career was eventually derailed by a sexual assault allegation, which eventually sent him to jail for four month.  He made a triumphant return to the field this season posting 1679-yards rushing with 14 touchdowns at Tuskegee.

The New Orleans Saints, Green Bay Packers, Arizona Cardinals and New England Patriots are showing a lot of interest in Washington.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

1st round:

2. Margus Hunt DE SMU
    4. Jesse Williams DT Ala

2nd round:

3rd round:

1. Tyrann Mathieu CB LSU

7th round:

Possible UDFA:

• Dan Buckner WR Arizona
    • Alec Lemon WR Syracuse
    • Kenny Cain OLB/ILB TCU

Here's where I'm at:

1st round:

Jesse Williams DT Alabama

Tank Carradine DE/OLB FSU

Jonathan Hankins DT OSU

Jon Cooper OG UNC

Xavier Rhodes CB Slorida State

2nd round:

Logan Ryan CB Rutgers

DJ Hayden CB Houston

Darius Slay CB MSU

Jordan Poyer CB Oregon St

Margus Hunt DE/OLB SMU

3rd round:

DJ Swearinger S South Carolina

Ryan Swope WR Tex A&M

Stedman Bailey WR WVU

Ace Sanders WR South Carolina

Josh Evans S Florida/ Shamarko Thomas S Syracuse

7th round:

TJ Moe WR Mizzou

Cooper Taylor S Richmond

Spencer Ware RB LSU

Knile Davis RB Arkansas

Colby Cameron QB LTU

Quinton Dial DE/DT Alabama

Kapron Lewis-Moore DE/DT ND

Chris Jones DT Bowling Green

Chad Bumphis WR MSU

Justice Cunningham TE South Caroina

Jake Stoneburner TE OSU

Nathan Williams LB OSU

Zach Boren LB/FB OSU

Quanterus Smith DE/OLB WKU

Walter Stewart DE/OLB Cincy

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

1st round:

2. Margus Hunt DE SMU
    4. Jesse Williams DT Ala

2nd round:

3rd round:

1. Tyrann Mathieu CB LSU

7th round:

Possible UDFA:

• Dan Buckner WR Arizona
    • Alec Lemon WR Syracuse
    • Kenny Cain OLB/ILB TCU

Cool list.  I like most everything, would slightly re-rank some guys here and there:

1st Round:

1)  Jonathan Cooper OG  UNC  (likely gone)

2)  Datone Jones  DE  UCLA

3)  Tavon Austin  WR  West VA (If Wes leaves)

4)  DeAndre Hopkins

5)  Tank Carradine  DE  FSU

6)  Jesse Williams  DT  Bama

7)  Desmond Trufant  CB  UW

2nd Round:

1)  Jonathan Banks  CB  Miss St.  (How far will he fall?)

2)  Eric Reid  S  LSU

3)  Jordan Poyer  CB  Oregon St.

4)  Sylvester Williams  DT  UNC

5)  Justin Hunter  WR  Tenn

3rd Round:

1)  Tyler Bray QB  Tenn (IF Mallett gets dealt)

2) Tyrann Mathieu CB  LSU (Agree.  He's a gamble worth taking here.) 

3)  Logan Ryan  CB Rutgers

4)  William Gholston DE   (Talent is there.  Wouldn't it kill Rex if we got the GOOD Gholston?)

5)  TJ McDonald  FS  USC

7th Round:

1)  Marquise Wilson  WR  Wazzu  (character issues could really drop him)

2)  Josh Boyd  DT  Miss St.

3)  Ace Sanders  WR  S. Carolina  (Maybe he size drops him...)

4)  Devin Taylor  DE  S. Carolina 

5)  Zeke Motta  S  ND

6)  Joe Kruger  DE  Utah

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

I know I'm behind on this draft thread, but what does everyone think of DeAndre Hopkins? To me he looks like a guy that would fit in well on the outside..like what I see from him. He looks like he has good size, great hands and some real good quickness for his size - he's not going to blaze down the field, but I can see him getting deep once in a while. He kind of reminds me of a young David Givens, but much more polished than when he came out.

I could see this guy catching 60 balls in this offense and giving us a versatile target outside. I'm not saying he's special, but he looks pretty solid.

mthurl i know you see my other posts. hopkins has been my guy. just yesterday i posted i want hopkins and carradine and i dotn care if thats all we get (provicded we get a #1 and a #2 cb in fa)

Yeah that would be nice, be tough to do that though.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Interesting stat on Houston CB DJ Hayden (who's an under the radar name due to his freak injury during the season/injured a vein/blood vessel that almost cost him his life)... through the first (7) games of the season, QB's completed only 8 of 31 pass attempts to his side of the field (he only played in 9 games, and I don't have the status for the final two in regards to completions), (4) of those completions were to LTU's Quinton Patton (a Top 50 talent in this class) for only 36 yards.

On talent/skill set, he's my 2nd or 3rd rated CB and I have him as a Rd 2 option, though he may come at a value due to said injury.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

I know I'm behind on this draft thread, but what does everyone think of DeAndre Hopkins? To me he looks like a guy that would fit in well on the outside..like what I see from him. He looks like he has good size, great hands and some real good quickness for his size - he's not going to blaze down the field, but I can see him getting deep once in a while. He kind of reminds me of a young David Givens, but much more polished than when he came out.

I could see this guy catching 60 balls in this offense and giving us a versatile target outside. I'm not saying he's special, but he looks pretty solid.

Accurate assessment... kid's also tough and clutch... #1 WR on my board, very popular name on this thread overall.  If they go WR in Rd 1, he's the kid I hope they land.

Ok, it wasn't just me then...I'm getting caught up on this stuff. I probably should stop posting everytime I see a good player, but I like the input from the guys on here. I honestly think this kid could start right away and help. To me he is making catches in traffic and some real tight windows that make me think he can play - when I watch some of these other guys that are rated higher, they are making catches with no one within 12 feet of them. And when they do have to make that professional type of catch...they aren't.

I think if Hopkins had ran a 4.45, instead of a 4.59, he'd be coming off the board in the top 12. Looks like a real good player.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Accurate assessment... kid's also tough and clutch... #1 WR on my board, very popular name on this thread overall.  If they go WR in Rd 1, he's the kid I hope they land.

Ok, it wasn't just me then...I'm getting caught up on this stuff. I probably should stop posting everytime I see a good player, but I like the input from the guys on here. I honestly think this kid could start right away and help. To me he is making catches in traffic and some real tight windows that make me think he can play - when I watch some of these other guys that are rated higher, they are making catches with no one within 12 feet of them. And when they do have to make that professional type of catch...they aren't.

I think if Hopkins had ran a 4.45, instead of a 4.59, he'd be coming off the board in the top 12. Looks like a real good player.

Nah man, feedback/input is always welcome... agree, savvy kid, good ball skills... has a pro ready type game/skill set and should see the field early for the team that drafts him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

DT's Hankins and Williams look like second round picks to me - I like Hankins a little better I think. If Hankins doesn't turn into a cow, I could see him improving in the rush...he was doubled an awfull lot, so he has to be pretty good. I thought Williams kind of does one thing well...get onto the blocker in front of him and muscle his way forward. I do think he gets a little high off the snap and it looks like he will come off the field in pass rushing situations. Both of these guys are big, but I don't think either one will be special. Could be wrong...usually am.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

DT's Hankins and Williams look like second round picks to me - I like Hankins a little better I think. If Hankins doesn't turn into a cow, I could see him improving in the rush...he was doubled an awfull lot, so he has to be pretty good. I thought Williams kind of does one thing well...get onto the blocker in front of him and muscle his way forward. I do think he gets a little high off the snap and it looks like he will come off the field in pass rushing situations. Both of these guys are big, but I don't think either one will be special. Could be wrong...usually am.

Jesse or Sylvester?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Jesse or Sylvester?

mb have we lost the ability on this site to do searches? i dont see a way at the moment.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Jesse or Sylvester?

mb have we lost the ability on this site to do searches? i dont see a way at the moment.

You're talking about searching by thread title?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Jesse or Sylvester?

You're talking about searching by thread title?

mb, im talking about any word which you used to be able to do before the change

25. This post has been removed.