***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to bredbru's comment:

I know I'm behind on this draft thread, but what does everyone think of DeAndre Hopkins? To me he looks like a guy that would fit in well on the outside..like what I see from him. He looks like he has good size, great hands and some real good quickness for his size - he's not going to blaze down the field, but I can see him getting deep once in a while. He kind of reminds me of a young David Givens, but much more polished than when he came out.

I could see this guy catching 60 balls in this offense and giving us a versatile target outside. I'm not saying he's special, but he looks pretty solid.

mthurl i know you see my other posts. hopkins has been my guy. just yesterday i posted i want hopkins and carradine and i dotn care if thats all we get (provicded we get a #1 and a #2 cb in fa)

Yeah that would be nice, be tough to do that though.

depends whose mock ends up being closer to the actual draft. many have both landing in the 2nd rd ie today 49 and 57. that should be easy to accomplish (and as i said wiling ot use 2014 and 2105 picks)

by the way, there was not much talk at all about hopkins before i began blowing the horn regularly. mb said there had been a previous mention by someone (i had not seen it, though i usaually keep up). since then, mb and i, i believe have been pretty loud about him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

DT's Hankins and Williams look like second round picks to me - I like Hankins a little better I think. If Hankins doesn't turn into a cow, I could see him improving in the rush...he was doubled an awfull lot, so he has to be pretty good. I thought Williams kind of does one thing well...get onto the blocker in front of him and muscle his way forward. I do think he gets a little high off the snap and it looks like he will come off the field in pass rushing situations. Both of these guys are big, but I don't think either one will be special. Could be wrong...usually am.

Jesse or Sylvester?

Jesse...you high on him? Boy he is big, I mean wow. Is it just me or does he stand up straight a little too often? Also I didn't see him face a lot more than single blocking. The other guy (Hankins) was doubled in the stuff I was watching and I was surprised he made a few athletic plays where he kind of slipped off a block and reached a runner that was probably three yards away. They have Hankins lining up all over the place, but I see almost no pass rush ability in him - even though he does look like he is athletic for a big guy. I think he'd be an upgrade over Deaderick, and have the ability to play a little nose...but this is no star here I'm talking about. 

I just had a terrible thought...Hankins kind of plays like Ron Brace when Brace was at BC.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

DT's Hankins and Williams look like second round picks to me - I like Hankins a little better I think. If Hankins doesn't turn into a cow, I could see him improving in the rush...he was doubled an awfull lot, so he has to be pretty good. I thought Williams kind of does one thing well...get onto the blocker in front of him and muscle his way forward. I do think he gets a little high off the snap and it looks like he will come off the field in pass rushing situations. Both of these guys are big, but I don't think either one will be special. Could be wrong...usually am.

Jesse or Sylvester?

Jesse...you high on him? Boy he is big, I mean wow. Is it just me or does he stand up straight a little too often? Also I didn't see him face a lot more than single blocking. The other guy (Hankins) was doubled in the stuff I was watching and I was surprised he made a few athletic plays where he kind of slipped off a block and reached a runner that was probably three yards away. They have Hankins lining up all over the place, but I see almost no pass rush ability in him - even though he does look like he is athletic for a big guy. I think he'd be an upgrade over Deaderick, and have the ability to play a little nose...but this is no star here I'm talking about. 

I just had a terrible thought...Hankins kind of plays like Ron Brace when Brace was at BC.

a dt is nice, nut look bacak at games against better o lines and ourt defense had no chance at pressuring the passer. we have to have a consistent pass rush to have a defense. 

pass rusher we have to have. even fa and draft. freeney, osi, abaraham 1 year deal

and carradine or top pass rusher in draft.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

Patriots head coach Bill Belichick was seen attending Miami's Pro Day workouts.

If we are remembering correctly, Belichick always attends Florida pro days, but he will likely be focusing on cornerback Brandon McGee. The Hurricane product has the athletic tools but has failed to consistently put them together throughout his career.

BB actually runs pratices in Miami at times to get players ready for the Pro's and to help underclass men. He's done it for a couple of years. It helps him get the inside track on prospects that might fall (Spikes, Wilfork, Forston)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Jesse or Sylvester?

Hankins is much closer to BJ Raji then Brace. Brace couldn't handle single teams and had no explosion in his first step. Hankins has an explosive first step and takes on double teams constently. That double team prevented him from getting a number of sacks but he was very disruptive behind the line and QB's never looked very comfortable when he rushed

I'm a Jenkins/Hankins guy and MB is a J Williams guy. To me Hankins is more polished and NFL ready with well developed moves. J Williams has much higher upside. More raw with less developed moves.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Jesse or Sylvester?

Jesse is the top player on my board... kid's still learning the game, so the technique can be cleaned up, but he's athletic, moves well laterally and is as strong at the POA as one could be at this level, IMO... just really tough to move off the LOS and is perfect for a 2-gap system.  I agree that he's a bit raw as a passrusher, but does have pside in that area and should help push the pocket from the interior early on and can play all along an odd front and inside in a even front. 

Hankins has a bit of the doughiness that Brace had, which can bring comparisons, but Hankins was the big fish on OSU's DLine, so teams where scheming, doubling/tripling him on a weekly basis in an attempt to control the LOS while Brace had the luxury of playing along side Raji, who I think was more at or above Hankin's level than Brace.

Neither player may ever excel as a pure interior passrusher, but they should excel at what they'd be asked to do in a BB defense... i.e., clog things up on the inside and push the pocket which should help open things up for their edge player.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Jesse or Sylvester?

Hankins is much closer to BJ Raji then Brace. Brace couldn't handle single teams and had no explosion in his first step. Hankins has an explosive first step and takes on double teams constently. That double team prevented him from getting a number of sacks but he was very disruptive behind the line and QB's never looked very comfortable when he rushed

I'm a Jenkins/Hankins guy and MB is a J Williams guy. To me Hankins is more polished and NFL ready with well developed moves. J Williams has much higher upside. More raw with less developed moves.

Def hope to come way with one of them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Jesse or Sylvester?

mb have we lost the ability on this site to do searches? i dont see a way at the moment.

You're talking about searching by thread title?

mb, im talking about any word which you used to be able to do before the change

Not sure, I hadn't really used that feature much in the past... heck I'd be happy to have spellcheck back, would save me some time when editing my posts, ha.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

One of Jenkins, Hankins or jwilliams will be there at 29. I will be interested to see if bb bites. in FA,  He has the opportunity to stock up in the secondary a bit and can bring in a mid level vet wr, and use the draft for DT, De and maybe OL. I pray this is what happens and we retool the DL via the draft given the depth. would love to walk away with a DT and de...jwilliams/hunt, carradine/sWilliams or kshort...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Jesse or Sylvester?

mb have we lost the ability on this site to do searches? i dont see a way at the moment.

You're talking about searching by thread title?

mb, im talking about any word which you used to be able to do before the change

Not sure, I hadn't really used that feature much in the past... heck I'd be happy to have spellcheck back, would save me some time when editing my posts, ha.

you, i bet there are loads of people who wish we had it back for my sake, dyslexic keyboradist that i am :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

One of Jenkins, Hankins or jwilliams will be there at 29. I will be interested to see if bb bites. in FA,  He has the opportunity to stock up in the secondary a bit and can bring in a mid level vet wr, and use the draft for DT, De and maybe OL. I pray this is what happens and we retool the DL via the draft given the depth. would love to walk away with a DT and de...jwilliams/hunt, carradine/sWilliams or kshort...

i'll take the latter pair over teh former.

id go with all the fa you describe and a big outside wr and pass rush de tandem over the de, dt.yes agree with need for ol. dt and safety thereafter in need order.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Four teams showed interest in former Missouri and current Tuskegee RB Derrick Washington at his pro day.

The teams include the Green Bay Packers, New Orleans Saints, Arizona Cardinals and New England Patriots. Washington reportedly ran in the 4.6 range at 226 pounds. He also did 19 reps of 225. He was arrested for sexual assault charges and spent four months in jail in 2010.

why in the world are we looking at a player arrested for sexual assault?

bad, bad, bad.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

perhaps we can trade down from 29 into top rd 2.

use the extra pick and a 2014 mid rd pick  to move up from bottom of rd 2

and take carradine and hopkins in top half of rd 2.

though if carradine keeps risng, i just get him in rd 1.\

and make a play ot move up for hopkins in rd 2.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Four teams showed interest in former Missouri and current Tuskegee RB Derrick Washington at his pro day.

The teams include the Green Bay Packers, New Orleans Saints, Arizona Cardinals and New England Patriots. Washington reportedly ran in the 4.6 range at 226 pounds. He also did 19 reps of 225. He was arrested for sexual assault charges and spent four months in jail in 2010.

Fits the mold from a size standpoint, BB loves those big backs... and while I know it's just one of hundreds of players that they'll take a look at during the process, it's tough to overlook the charges/jail time.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Just wondering if we draft a run stuffing big DT could we then free up Wilfork to be more of a pass rusher. Can't remember which year it was, but there was a recent year where BB moved Wilfork outside to a semi-end position in a three man (ish) look and turned him loose and he created major havoc in the offensive backfield. It was a revelation to me how athletic and 'fast' he was when not controling the central line of scrimmage against double teams. He was lining up between OG and LT as I remember instead of over the G/C.

Just wondering if BB doesn't like the penetrating DT types in the draft and or FAs might he consider a better man-mountain run stuffer and reassign Wilforks responsibilities?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Jesse or Sylvester?

Alright, you must be right because Hankins is being doubled in just about every game I'm watching him in. He's got kind of a unique build - he's heavy, he's got what looks like long arms and he has these really heavy looking legs. He was running around with a knee brace on in the games I saw - and I later read he was playing with a leg injury, so I imagine he can move pretty darn well without the brace. I've got to admit that for a guy getting doubled and playing hurt, he did pretty well and shows some movement skills for a guy that big. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Jesse or Sylvester?

Jesse is the top player on my board... kid's still learning the game, so the technique can be cleaned up, but he's athletic, moves well laterally and is as strong at the POA as one could be at this level, IMO... just really tough to move off the LOS and is perfect for a 2-gap system.  I agree that he's a bit raw as a passrusher, but does have pside in that area and should help push the pocket from the interior early on and can play all along an odd front and inside in a even front. 

Hankins has a bit of the doughiness that Brace had, which can bring comparisons, but Hankins was the big fish on OSU's DLine, so teams where scheming, doubling/tripling him on a weekly basis in an attempt to control the LOS while Brace had the luxury of playing along side Raji, who I think was more at or above Hankin's level than Brace.

Neither player may ever excel as a pure interior passrusher, but they should excel at what they'd be asked to do in a BB defense... i.e., clog things up on the inside and push the pocket which should help open things up for their edge player.

You got me intrigued with this Jesse kid, I'm going to watch more of his stuff. I only watched a couple of videos on him. Yeah I did get the feeling that Hankins was the big fish on Ohio's line by all the doubles he was facing...literally he was doubled almost everytime he came off the ball..that says something. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Can't see this at all, I don't think Kraft would allow it. Myra was a large womens advocate and taking a sexual assualt case would be a slap in her face. I just can't see Kraft even allowing the guy to be on the team

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Can't see this at all, I don't think Kraft would allow it. Myra was a large womens advocate and taking a sexual assualt case would be a slap in her face. I just can't see Kraft even allowing the guy to be on the team

i highly doubt Myra is involved in BB's thought process when he is looking for talented players. 

But Kraft is and they have tossed players off the team who hit women before. I forget who it was but I remember a mid round pick the Pats drafted and within the month he was released for hitting his wife.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

BB has shown a willingness to bring in a kid with character red flags on occassion, though I also think there are certain red flags (i.e. crimes against women) that would get more attention from Kraft than others and personally I don't think that will change with the passing of Myra.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

that's when myra was alive. remember, she's the one with the $ and if it wasn't for her bob would not be where he is today. well, she is gone now, and bobby can be himself.

You sound like you have something against Kraft. What is it you have against him?