***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to Faucetman's comment:

What are we likely to get for comp picks in 2014?  A third for Welker and maybe a 5th or 6th for Chung?

Since we signed Amendola to a similar deal it might actually wash Welker out. Chung might garner a 6th or 7th because his contract is low compared to other Ss on the market. Vollmer, if he leaves, or Talib, if he leaves, could command 4th's but that's all dependent on what they sign for and if we don't sign anyone else

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

NFL.com's Gil Brandt writes Texas A&M WR Ryan Swope could get drafted in the "fourth round or so."

Brandt added Oklahoma wide receiver Kenny Stills to that group. Swope has been become a popular favorite for many after his impressive combine performance, but he doesn't play as fast as he times and has medical issues. The latter refers to his history of concussions, which teams are paying more attention to than ever before.

I agree that he doesn't play like a 4.3 kid, though he's prob near the top of my board if he's around at the end of Rd 3.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think there are several kids that we could draft and develop in rounds 3 or 4 this year. Swopes is one, I like stedman bailey as well. MB, do you see stedman going in the 4 th or later?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

I think there are several kids that we could draft and develop in rounds 3 or 4 this year. Swopes is one, I like stedman bailey as well. MB, do you see stedman going in the 4 th or later?

Personally, I don't think Stedman makes it out've Day 2.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

That is what I thought. Maybe he is duplication now that we have amendola, unless josh uses Danny more outwide, bailey could be a great slot guy, and maybe he and Danny could interchangat playing all over the formation. Maybe if we draft a WR, we look at a bigger kid, in the 6'2"+ range. Honestly after the amendola signing and them bringing in donald jones, I have no idea if the pats view it as a need assuming they sign jones..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Unless the Pats make moves to come up with extra picks. I don't believe they have put themselves in a position to wait till the end of 3rd or later round for a developmental WR prospect.

In this particular case I prefer they take an outside receiver earlier if still in the current situation come draft time. That's not something you would typically hear me say either.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

I heard a name and want to know what you think about this kid, Blidi Wreh-Wilson what about  

this kid?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

I heard a name and want to know what you think about this kid, Blidi Wreh-Wilson what about  

this kid?

Good size CB, moves well, physical kid but needs to tackle better as he can take some bad angles and/or not break down in space.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Emmanuel Sanders in for a visit!!!  I suggested this.  Giving up a late third for Sanders is not a bad deal as I don't see any WR in this draft who would be better than Sanders at this point.  The Steelers are so up against the cap it would be hard for them to match.

If we get Sanders, and restructure Lloyd - as we are in the process of doing, we have Lloyd, Sanders, Amendola 1-2-3 with newly signed Donald Jones as our #5 to compete with Branch, Stallworth or whoever.  If Edelman comes back, he'd be our #4 and maybe rotate in at slot with Amendola in an effort to keep both healthy.  We then would be set at WR.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Not sure I'd like using a 3rd on Sanders. We just signed Jones who is a very similar player to Sanders. We have a couple outside guy and some inside but we still don't have any WR over 6'2" which I think could be a mistake. Given Brady's age you should have one giant red zone threat other then Gronk just to jump up and get the ball so Brady doesn't have to be perfect.

I think I'd rather go after Nelson and use the 3rd on Mathieu considering we still basically only have Dennard on the team for CB. Not sure I count Ras since I've been on the field longer then he has (love Pats tours)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

With the FA moves they've made, it looks like they are pretty confident the draft has good depth on interior DL. That said, it looks like a lot of teams are thinking the same.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I would have no problem giving up a near end of round three pick for sanders if the contract value was right. Especially IF the Patriots were considering that round of the draft to target a WR again.

Lets not kid ourselves. TE title aside, Brady's top two "receiver" targets (taking health into consideration) are going to be Gronk and Hernandez. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

I would have no problem giving up a near end of round three pick for sanders if the contract value was right. Especially IF the Patriots were considering that round of the draft to target a WR again.

Lets not kid ourselves. TE title aside, Brady's top two "receiver" targets (taking health into consideration) are going to be Gronk and Hernandez. 

This is why I'd rather them go after a larger WR in the draft truthfully. Sanders is a proven #3 with #2 potential but so is Jones who we just signed. What we are still missing is the bigger body to fight for balls inside the 20 where we stalled this year. With Jones, Lloyd, Amendola in the mix I'd like to get a 6'2"+ 215+ guy as a red zone threat

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

This is why I'd rather them go after a larger WR in the draft truthfully. Sanders is a proven #3 with #2 potential but so is Jones who we just signed. What we are still missing is the bigger body to fight for balls inside the 20 where we stalled this year. With Jones, Lloyd, Amendola in the mix I'd like to get a 6'2"+ 215+ guy as a red zone threat

Felt like thePats struggles were a ton to do with health. I don't see the size as being a big deal. Helpful yes but not a major decision factor for me.

With Edleman out, Gronk and hernandez you were left with Edleman, Lloyd and Branch(useless last year). Which is why they went with stallworth. If you have jones, Sanders, and lloyd in a game , even with Gronk, Hern, and Amendola out you still have three guys who have great quicks, good hands, and great leaping ability. I believe all three of those guys have close to 40 inch verts.

I feel confident if that scenario happend that they could get open and defenses would not be able to just focus on one or two options.

Not just that but I believe you have been referencing a guy like Da'rick. I like him. However, are you ready to draft him at the end of round 2? or you risking that he would be there at the end of round 3? What if he wasn't? What if the same thing happened again as it did when the Pats took Price? A 7 WR run in a 13 pick span right before the Pats pick in the 3rd.

You got other guys you like at 6'2 plus at the end of the 3rd round that are better than Sanders just in case?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

Emmanuel Sanders in for a visit!!!  I suggested this.  Giving up a late third for Sanders is not a bad deal as I don't see any WR in this draft who would be better than Sanders at this point.  The Steelers are so up against the cap it would be hard for them to match.

If we get Sanders, and restructure Lloyd - as we are in the process of doing, we have Lloyd, Sanders, Amendola 1-2-3 with newly signed Donald Jones as our #5 to compete with Branch, Stallworth or whoever.  If Edelman comes back, he'd be our #4 and maybe rotate in at slot with Amendola in an effort to keep both healthy.  We then would be set at WR.

Agree, no need to draft a wr !

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Felt like thePats struggles were a ton to do with health. I don't see the size as being a big deal. Helpful yes but not a major decision factor for me.

With Edleman out, Gronk and hernandez you were left with Edleman, Lloyd and Branch(useless last year). Which is why they went with stallworth. If you have jones, Sanders, and lloyd in a game , even with Gronk, Hern, and Amendola out you still have three guys who have great quicks, good hands, and great leaping ability. I believe all three of those guys have close to 40 inch verts.

I feel confident if that scenario happend that they could get open and defenses would not be able to just focus on one or two options.

Not just that but I believe you have been referencing a guy like Da'rick. I like him. However, are you ready to draft him at the end of round 2? or you risking that he would be there at the end of round 3? What if he wasn't? What if the same thing happened again as it did when the Pats took Price? A 7 WR run in a 13 pick span right before the Pats pick in the 3rd.

You got other guys you like at 6'2 plus at the end of the 3rd round that are better than Sanders just in case?

Well I'd take Da'Rick in the back of the second knowing I had a 3rd to spend on Matheiu. But, if you don't have that 3rd it changes the game completely and I'm not sure I'd take Mathieu in the back of the 2nd but we do need another CB so do you take and equal chance drafting a Davis, Alfrod, McFadden all of who are nice corners but could be busts or draft Mathieu in the 2nd and say well we don't have picks 3-6 so we needed to take him there? Now anything could happen and Mallett could get traded for a 2nd or 3rd but with no mid round picks I'd feel more comforatble grabbing a Mathieu and Da'Rick then Sanders and only grabbing one or the other

Not to mention they still need to sign Sanders first so what is his asking price?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

You still want to draft Matthieu with Arrington just inked? As you said earlier, Matthieu given his size probably a slot corner, not a guy you would line up on the outside. I would rather give a 3rd for sanders, grab a bigger cb we can play outside at the end of round 2, and get our stud interior DT or de in round 1..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

You still want to draft Matthieu with Arrington just inked? As you said earlier, Matthieu given his size probably a slot corner, not a guy you would line up on the outside. I would rather give a 3rd for sanders, grab a bigger cb we can play outside at the end of round 2, and get our stud interior DT or de in round 1..

I would of rather not had Arrington at all but we still only have 3 CB's currently on the roster (I don't count Ras until he can actually stay on a field). So given what they paid Arrington you don't give a pure slot guy that much money so they must believe he can play outside (I can't truthfully) so if I'm going to go CB and most in that range are slot CB's (as the outside CB players will go early and there is much talent past them for outside guys) yep I'd rather bring in a Mathieu then say a Hawthrone or Ryan. Though Gratz and Poyer might not be bad options in the back of the 2nd as outside guys

I think Slay and Amerson will be gone mid 2nd

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think they paid Arrington a bit more because they could use him outside in a pinch and he is a good st player as well. I know he isn't good outside, but he has played it in our system which to me is valuable. They got to lock down Talib or another starting guy opposite Dennard. I don't think bb is putting his eggs in the Ras bucket. Ras is gravy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Well I'd take Da'Rick in the back of the second knowing I had a 3rd to spend on Matheiu. But, if you don't have that 3rd it changes the game completely and I'm not sure I'd take Mathieu in the back of the 2nd but we do need another CB so do you take and equal chance drafting a Davis, Alfrod, McFadden all of who are nice corners but could be busts or draft Mathieu in the 2nd and say well we don't have picks 3-6 so we needed to take him there? Now anything could happen and Mallett could get traded for a 2nd or 3rd but with no mid round picks I'd feel more comforatble grabbing a Mathieu and Da'Rick then Sanders and only grabbing one or the other

Not to mention they still need to sign Sanders first so what is his asking price?

I have no love for Matheiu that early in the draft even though he has the talent. ..and if you are talking Da'rick at the end of 2 depends who else is still there. ...and I do not mean just other WR's but in general.

Did you know the Pats were actually ranked like 12th I think it was last season vs WR's on the outside? They are getting killed by TE's and Slots. They need a SS who can actually cover and not just lay wood. ...and do not get me started on the LB's. I do not love our LB's like most others. We get killed inside the numbers in the passing game. Ranked I think 30th.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I would of rather not had Arrington at all but we still only have 3 CB's currently on the roster (I don't count Ras until he can actually stay on a field). So given what they paid Arrington you don't give a pure slot guy that much money so they must believe he can play outside (I can't truthfully) so if I'm going to go CB and most in that range are slot CB's (as the outside CB players will go early and there is much talent past them for outside guys) yep I'd rather bring in a Mathieu then say a Hawthrone or Ryan. Though Gratz and Poyer might not be bad options in the back of the 2nd as outside guys

I think Slay and Amerson will be gone mid 2nd

Milliner, Rhodes, Trufant, Banks would likely go before Slay or Amerson. You think 6 CBs will be gone by mid-2nd? It's hard to imagine given teams' tendencies to take the tackles and DEs early. It looks like many of them will be taken in the first and second.

If CBs get taken then that should leave Pats with good options on DT/NT at 29.

Also, draftscout rates Jamar Taylor higher than Amerson, Poyer and Slay. I've not seen the kid's videos, but I'd have to think he has similar potential to Slay and Amerson.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

Not sure I'd like using a 3rd on Sanders. We just signed Jones who is a very similar player to Sanders. We have a couple outside guy and some inside but we still don't have any WR over 6'2" which I think could be a mistake. Given Brady's age you should have one giant red zone threat other then Gronk just to jump up and get the ball so Brady doesn't have to be perfect.

I think I'd rather go after Nelson and use the 3rd on Mathieu considering we still basically only have Dennard on the team for CB. Not sure I count Ras since I've been on the field longer then he has (love Pats tours)

PatsEng, I'm with you on Bills Nelson, he would be very good fit for Pats and I hope BB pursues him.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts