***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

You still want to draft Matthieu with Arrington just inked? As you said earlier, Matthieu given his size probably a slot corner, not a guy you would line up on the outside. I would rather give a 3rd for sanders, grab a bigger cb we can play outside at the end of round 2, and get our stud interior DT or de in round 1..

I would of rather not had Arrington at all but we still only have 3 CB's currently on the roster (I don't count Ras until he can actually stay on a field). So given what they paid Arrington you don't give a pure slot guy that much money so they must believe he can play outside (I can't truthfully) so if I'm going to go CB and most in that range are slot CB's (as the outside CB players will go early and there is much talent past them for outside guys) yep I'd rather bring in a Mathieu then say a Hawthrone or Ryan. Though Gratz and Poyer might not be bad options in the back of the 2nd as outside guys

I think Slay and Amerson will be gone mid 2nd

Milliner, Rhodes, Trufant, Banks would likely go before Slay or Amerson. You think 6 CBs will be gone by mid-2nd? It's hard to imagine given teams' tendencies to take the tackles and DEs early. It looks like many of them will be taken in the first and second.

If CBs get taken then that should leave Pats with good options on DT/NT at 29.

Also, draftscout rates Jamar Taylor higher than Amerson, Poyer and Slay. I've not seen the kid's videos, but I'd have to think he has similar potential to Slay and Amerson.

In todays NFL you really need 3 good starting CBs and I see a large run starting early 20's going into the mid 2nd on CB's. I see a mini run on DT's early with a couple slipping into the late 1st and gone by mid second and CB's to go almost immediately after the DT run

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

I have no love for Matheiu that early in the draft even though he has the talent. ..and if you are talking Da'rick at the end of 2 depends who else is still there. ...and I do not mean just other WR's but in general.

Did you know the Pats were actually ranked like 12th I think it was last season vs WR's on the outside? They are getting killed by TE's and Slots. They need a SS who can actually cover and not just lay wood. ...and do not get me started on the LB's. I do not love our LB's like most others. We get killed inside the numbers in the passing game. Ranked I think 30th.

I actually look at Wilson as that SS/LB coverage player we've been looking for in the nickel. I'm not sure if Wilson has enough left to be a 3 down player but as a in box defender Wilson can be very good and effective against TEs and RBs

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I would have no problem giving up a near end of round three pick for sanders if the contract value was right. Especially IF the Patriots were considering that round of the draft to target a WR again.

Lets not kid ourselves. TE title aside, Brady's top two "receiver" targets (taking health into consideration) are going to be Gronk and Hernandez. 

This is why I'd rather them go after a larger WR in the draft truthfully. Sanders is a proven #3 with #2 potential but so is Jones who we just signed. What we are still missing is the bigger body to fight for balls inside the 20 where we stalled this year. With Jones, Lloyd, Amendola in the mix I'd like to get a 6'2"+ 215+ guy as a red zone threat

Sanders can play inside or outside.  That flexibility is HUGE.  I remember being very high on him coming out as I think was MB and others on here.  A late 3rd for a guy who was drafted 82nd who has 3 years experience is a smart play.  The future is now.  Brady is on borrowed time.  We have to load up with players who can contribute now.  Jones has been an injury concern and has had inconsistent hands.  I see him as a #5 receiver.

This doesn't preclude us still going WR in the draft.  We have seen BB do this before at a position of need.  Edelman is still out there so without him, we still have a big need at WR.  Sanders would give us a nice option at slot if Amendola doesn't hold up (which has been his history). 

BB doubles down wherever he can.  We now have Washington to compete with the track star, who may be released considering he wants to run this summer. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

You still want to draft Matthieu with Arrington just inked? As you said earlier, Matthieu given his size probably a slot corner, not a guy you would line up on the outside. I would rather give a 3rd for sanders, grab a bigger cb we can play outside at the end of round 2, and get our stud interior DT or de in round 1..

I agree.  We don't need, and shouldn't want, the Honey Badger.  Forget the off field issues, which he admits are still a problem in that he needs a support system, at 5-8 and change, he is just two small to stand up against most WRs.  He reminds me of Hobbs - a total liability in the red zone.  You could throw a fade to even a 6 foot receiver against Matthieu in the end zone all day long with great success.

That said, I wish well for the kid.  He wants to do good but he's just too small to be a top DB in the NFL.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Did you know the Pats were actually ranked like 12th I think it was last season vs WR's on the outside? They are getting killed by TE's and Slots. They need a SS who can actually cover and not just lay wood. ...and do not get me started on the LB's. I do not love our LB's like most others. We get killed inside the numbers in the passing game. Ranked I think 30th.

I don't even bother to look at the rankings on defending the inside game, but I always thought this. Also, my perception is that they give up a lot of these passes on third and long.

A few months ago I got into discussions with some guys here on drafting a "cover LB" (Ogletree, who might not be there at 29 and MB brought up Alonso). I also think more and more teams will emulate NWE's use of TEs and slot receivers. At some point more recently, I asked what it would take for the Pats to defend an O similar to the Pats'.

Unfortunately, I will get you started on the LBs. If that is a defensive scenario that needs fixing, I am a fan of the axiom that says stat fixing the front and move backwards (or however that actually goes). There's a lot of discussion on DTs. I don't think the DEs are bad and with recent signings, I expect it to improve. The speed of our LBs concern me. It's hard to talk about it because 1) so much has already been invested in it, 2) the team practically has three picks only and 3) SS is definitely a hole. 

While on this topic: Every now and then a game coverage would show a chart (a 3x3 matrix) of where the QB throws the ball and get completions. Is there a site that shows where the completions are that the Pats D gives up?

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

I agree.  We don't need, and shouldn't want, the Honey Badger.  Forget the off field issues, which he admits are still a problem in that he needs a support system, at 5-8 and change, he is just two small to stand up against most WRs.  He reminds me of Hobbs - a total liability in the red zone.  You could throw a fade to even a 6 foot receiver against Matthieu in the end zone all day long with great success.

That said, I wish well for the kid.  He wants to do good but he's just too small to be a top DB in the NFL.

hes more athletic than tha faucet, but when previous i wanted rhodes in the draft (now i prefer fa cbs, and big ones) my plan was to move to more of a seattle type backfield big tough and fast corners.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

hobbs and mattieu are two completely different types of players. tyrann is more physical and a better playmaker.

True.  He is tougher and more physically gifted than Hobbs but he is still size deficient.  Had he been in there instead of Hobbs in the '07 Super Bowl, he likely still gives up the GW TD pass to Plaxico Burress.

I agree with bredbrue, I too would like to see us get some taller corners, like Seattle has.  I doubt Rhodes will be there at 29 and although Trufant isn't as tall, he's tall enough for me and I like his range and attitude.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

hobbs and mattieu are two completely different types of players. tyrann is more physical and a better playmaker.

True.  He is tougher and more physically gifted than Hobbs but he is still size deficient.  Had he been in there instead of Hobbs in the '07 Super Bowl, he likely still gives up the GW TD pass to Plaxico Burress.

Point is mute now with the signing of Adrian Wilson.  We are all set at Safety.  We can take Honey Badger and Elam off the board and all other safety types.

I think the acquisition of Wilson helps them in the short term, but I don't see that it completely removes the need to add more size/physicality to the backend moving forward.  I can see DMC and Tavon as the primary FS types (though I know they like to interchange S's) with Adrian and maybe a Day 2/3 kid (Swearinger, Shamarko Thomas, Josh Evans or Zeke Motta, etc) as the physical, box type player... maybe moving on from Steve Gregory.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

I agree with bredbrue, I too would like to see us get some taller corners, like Seattle has.  I doubt Rhodes will be there at 29 and although Trufant isn't as tall, he's tall enough for me and I like his range and attitude.

Great to have you back Faucet!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I don't even bother to look at the rankings on defending the inside game, but I always thought this. Also, my perception is that they give up a lot of these passes on third and long.

A few months ago I got into discussions with some guys here on drafting a "cover LB" (Ogletree, who might not be there at 29 and MB brought up Alonso). I also think more and more teams will emulate NWE's use of TEs and slot receivers. At some point more recently, I asked what it would take for the Pats to defend an O similar to the Pats'.

Unfortunately, I will get you started on the LBs. If that is a defensive scenario that needs fixing, I am a fan of the axiom that says stat fixing the front and move backwards (or however that actually goes). There's a lot of discussion on DTs. I don't think the DEs are bad and with recent signings, I expect it to improve. The speed of our LBs concern me. It's hard to talk about it because 1) so much has already been invested in it, 2) the team practically has three picks only and 3) SS is definitely a hole. 

While on this topic: Every now and then a game coverage would show a chart (a 3x3 matrix) of where the QB throws the ball and get completions. Is there a site that shows where the completions are that the Pats D gives up?

The signing of Adrian Wilson partially addresses this.  I can see him with his size playing nickel LB on obvious passing downs.  I agree with everything you said and I too was discussing Ogletree as a possibility if there at 29.  His off the field issues may cause him to slip.  I don't see him getting past BAL at 32 and he could possibly go ahead of Te' o.

I too am not as down on our DTs as many on here.  I think Love did a solid job in the run game and of course Vince is the best in the business.  I wonder if we have the cap and should make a run at Sedrick Ellis?  I think he'd be an upgrade over Love.  If we were to sign one of the aging DEs - Abraham or Freeney - we would be set at DL.

BB seems poised to give up our third for Sanders or perhaps use our 3rd on a WR.  He won't use 29 for WR, we know that based on his history.  So, if we resign Talib, sign Ellis and one of the aging stud DEs, we can really go in any direction in the draft but I like Ogletree at this point because he best addresses our need at coverage LB.

If Ogletree is gone, then Trufant would be my choice at 29 assuming, as we should, that Rhodes is gone.  The only caviat, is if Tavon Austin is there but I don't see him being there this late.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I think the acquisition of Wilson helps them in the short term, but I don't see that it completely removes the need to add more size/physicality to the backend moving forward.  I can see DMC and Tavon as the primary FS types (though I know they like to interchange S's) with Adrian and maybe a Day 2/3 kid (Swearinger, Shamarko Thomas, Josh Evans or Zeke Motta, etc) as the physical, box type player... maybe moving on from Steve Gregory.

[/QUOTE]

I too see DMC, Gregory and Tavon Wilson as more FS types.  Adrian Wilson has box SS written all over him as does Ebner, IMO.  I don't think we draft Safety anymore and will take these 5 into the season.  We could consider a safety with our late picks but that would likely rule out the guys you mention or at best they compete for a spot on the PS.

As for CBs, we hopefully have Talib, Dennard, Arrington and Dowling as locks.  I don't want to see Cole back so we still have need for one CB assuming we run with 10 DBs as usual.  We will know more once Dennard is sentenced.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

The signing of Adrian Wilson partially addresses this.  I can see him with his size playing nickel LB on obvious passing downs.  I agree with everything you said and I too was discussing Ogletree as a possibility if there at 29.  His off the field issues may cause him to slip.  I don't see him getting past BAL at 32 and he could possibly go ahead of Te' o.

I too am not as down on our DTs as many on here.  I think Love did a solid job in the run game and of course Vince is the best in the business.  I wonder if we have the cap and should make a run at Sedrick Ellis?  I think he'd be an upgrade over Love.  If we were to sign one of the aging DEs - Abraham or Freeney - we would be set at DL.

BB seems poised to give up our third for Sanders or perhaps use our 3rd on a WR.  He won't use 29 for WR, we know that based on his history.  So, if we resign Talib, sign Ellis and one of the aging stud DEs, we can really go in any direction in the draft but I like Ogletree at this point because he best addresses our need at coverage LB.

If Ogletree is gone, then Trufant would be my choice at 29 assuming, as we should, that Rhodes is gone.  The only caviat, is if Tavon Austin is there but I don't see him being there this late.

I think NE first needs to sign Talib. If not, we will be drafting CB at 29.  BB loves competion at camp.  We should see other signings like you said maybe Ellis, maybe A.Branch.  I don't think Ed Reed is out of the question and like MB said maybe they release Gregory. I still think they need  a coverage LB also.  It seems the theme this off season is resurrection. We have tried with Moss, Welker, low cost vets (Ellis), High risk, OchoCinco, etc.  Let's get back to our roots, everyman compete and let the chips fall where they may.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

pass rusher all day , then 2 big wrs is where im at at the moment. antd 2 cbs in fa, check that a #1 and a #2. apears we get arrington and hopefully a #1. one of hopkins - rogers should be a star if not both.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I think our biggest need in the draft  could be OT.  If we lose Vollmer we have nobody to back up Solder at LT.  If Solder goes down we are screwed.  Could we be considering a guy like Armstead or Long as developmental types?  It could be a long shot for either of them to make it to 61 and 29 is too big of a reach.  Trading down is always possible.

I'm also a little worried about our depth at OG too with the loss of Thomas.  Connolly has a tendency to miss a few games a year and Mankins for the first time showed he's human.  Warford could be a nice addition at 61. 

If we wanted depth at center I love Schwenke and he has experience at both guard positions but has played more at LG which is what we need as we have nobody behind Mankins at LG.  Prior to his senior year at center, Schwenke played 23 games at LG.  I would love Warford or Schwenke at 61 if we are able to retain Vollmer.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

I think our biggest need in the draft  could be OT.  If we lose Vollmer we have nobody to back up Solder at LT.  If Solder goes down we are screwed.  Could we be considering a guy like Armstead or Long as developmental types?  It could be a long shot for either of them to make it to 61 and 29 is too big of a reach.  Trading down is always possible.

I'm also a little worried about our depth at OG too with the loss of Thomas.  Connolly has a tendency to miss a few games a year and Mankins for the first time showed he's human.  Warford could be a nice addition at 61. 

If we wanted depth at center I love Schwenke and he has experience at both guard positions but has played more at LG which is what we need as we have nobody behind Mankins at LG.  Prior to his senior year at center, Schwenke played 23 games at LG.  I would love Warford or Schwenke at 61 if we are able to retain Vollmer.

i agree with teh need. dont have the picks. need to pull th fa trigger on some help.

warford was one of my guys early on.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Agree, OT certainly rise up the board a bit if they're unable to retain Vollmer... DJ Fluker may then become an option in Rd 1 or at least in the Top 40 or so... kid is nasty, competitive and has vines for arms... could also kick inside.

I'm with you on Schwenke... as well as Barrett Jones, Brian Winters, Long and David Quessenberry, as Day 2 kids (or a Jeff Baca on Day 3) that move well and could interest them on the interior.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

pass rusher all day , then 2 big wrs is where im at at the moment. antd 2 cbs in fa, check that a #1 and a #2. apears we get arrington and hopefully a #1. one of hopkins - rogers should be a star if not both.

[/QUOTE]

bredbrue,

Guess I misunderstood you.  I don't see BB going WR in the draft.  His track record drafting WRs has been dismal at best.  I also don't think it is smart to expect a young WR to emerge year 1 and be a weapon for Brady.  I am not against taking one late in the draft but I definitely don't want one with our first two picks unless it is Tavon Austin. 

If we sign Sanders I agree we still could use a tall physical WR but I don't think it trumps our need for depth on the OL, CB and coverage LB as it stands today.  Besides, with Gronk and Hern our need for that big red zone type WR is limited as TB has those better options.  

I actually think if we don't retain Edelman (which looks less likely with the addition of Washington and possibly Sanders) we should consider Heyward-Bay strictly from a stretch the field prospective.  He's 6-2 so you get that tall WR you want.  He is also a speed merchant who is actually developing into a decent weapon.  Over the past two years he had 105 catches for 1,581 and 9 TD.  Carson Palmer is no Tom Brady so his production can only improve.  I would like this move a lot and it shouldn't cost too much.

We could have Lloyd and Heyward-Bay on the outside with Amendola and Sanders in the slot with Sanders able to flex outside.  We can fill the 5th WR position with a late pick, Ebert, Edelman or another cheap veteran.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

There is no way you take a backup T at 29. Zero chance unless they plan to use themas a starter. Don't forget they have Zusevics who would have been a mid round pick if not for injury. He could be the backup you are thinking of.

Either way, even if they do resign Talib that only gives them 3 so they need to add more depth and they still need interior pass rushing even if they sign Abraham or Freeney. If they sign Sanders they essentially have 2 picks and I think they continue to target D, their biggest weakness

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

Looks like NE and Lloyd are working to restructure his deal and under the assumption that they land Emmanuel "Webster" Sanders, I don't see where they fit in another (2) WR's... so I think you might end up a little disappointed there.

As for CB, assuming they retain Talib, to go along with Aarington signing, I still see a need for another outside CB as frankly, I have no confidence in Ras-I's ability to stay on the field.  I could see them addressing the need with one of their first (2) picks and they should have plenty of solid prospects to choose from (Rhodes, Trufant, Ryan, Hayden, Banks, Taylor, Poyer & Slay, etc.)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Agree, OT certainly rise up the board a bit if they're unable to retain Vollmer... DJ Fluker may then become an option in Rd 1 or at least in the Top 40 or so... kid is nasty, competitive and has vines for arms... could also kick inside.

I'm with you on Schwenke... as well as Barrett Jones, Brian Winters, Long and David Quessenberry, as Day 2 kids (or a Jeff Baca on Day 3) that move well and could interest them on the interior.

Do you see Fluker making it to 29?  I don't.  The top three tackles are gonna come off the board in the top 10 easily.  Someone is going to take Fluker with 20+ picks before ours, CIN maybe.  Besides, I'm not sure he has the movement skills to play LT.  I think he will be a beast at RT though.  That said, I would definitely be all over Fluker if he made it to 29. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

Looks like NE and Lloyd are working to restructure his deal and under the assumption that they land Emmanuel "Webster" Sanders, I don't see where they fit in another (2) WR's... so I think you might end up a little disappointed there.

As for CB, assuming they retain Talib, to go along with Aarington signing, I still see a need for another outside CB as frankly, I have no confidence in Ras-I's ability to stay on the field.  I could see them addressing the need with one of their first (2) picks and they should have plenty of solid prospects to choose from (Rhodes, Trufant, Ryan, Hayden, Banks, Taylor, Poyer & Slay, etc.)

Yes we need a cb, I saw a reporter mocking Pats to pick a cb named Blidi Wreh-Wilson, any complements about this kid?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Do you see Fluker making it to 29?  I don't.  The top three tackles are gonna come off the board in the top 10 easily.  Someone is going to take Fluker with 20+ picks before ours, CIN maybe.  Besides, I'm not sure he has the movement skills to play LT.  I think he will be a beast at RT though.  That said, I would definitely be all over Fluker if he made it to 29. 

I don't think he's a lock to be off the board by 29, no... but it's fair to assume that he may be due to the relative lack of OT depth in this class... I also agree that he's prob a RT/OG only, which may be one of the reasons that he could be available.