Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to Faucetman's comment:

In response to Godvernment's comment:

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

You still want to draft Matthieu with Arrington just inked? As you said earlier, Matthieu given his size probably a slot corner, not a guy you would line up on the outside. I would rather give a 3rd for sanders, grab a bigger cb we can play outside at the end of round 2, and get our stud interior DT or de in round 1..

I agree.  We don't need, and shouldn't want, the Honey Badger.  Forget the off field issues, which he admits are still a problem in that he needs a support system, at 5-8 and change, he is just two small to stand up against most WRs.  He reminds me of Hobbs - a total liability in the red zone.  You could throw a fade to even a 6 foot receiver against Matthieu in the end zone all day long with great success.

That said, I wish well for the kid.  He wants to do good but he's just too small to be a top DB in the NFL.

hobbs and mattieu are two completely different types of players. tyrann is more physical and a better playmaker.

True.  He is tougher and more physically gifted than Hobbs but he is still size deficient.  Had he been in there instead of Hobbs in the '07 Super Bowl, he likely still gives up the GW TD pass to Plaxico Burress.

I agree with bredbrue, I too would like to see us get some taller corners, like Seattle has.  I doubt Rhodes will be there at 29 and although Trufant isn't as tall, he's tall enough for me and I like his range and attitude.

pass rusher all day , then 2 big wrs is where im at at the moment. antd 2 cbs in fa, check that a #1 and a #2. apears we get arrington and hopefully a #1. one of hopkins - rogers should be a star if not both.

Looks like NE and Lloyd are working to restructure his deal and under the assumption that they land Emmanuel "Webster" Sanders, I don't see where they fit in another (2) WR's... so I think you might end up a little disappointed there.

As for CB, assuming they retain Talib, to go along with Aarington signing, I still see a need for another outside CB as frankly, I have no confidence in Ras-I's ability to stay on the field.  I could see them addressing the need with one of their first (2) picks and they should have plenty of solid prospects to choose from (Rhodes, Trufant, Ryan, Hayden, Banks, Taylor, Poyer & Slay, etc.)

Yes we need a cb, I saw a reporter mocking Pats to pick a cb named Blidi Wreh-Wilson, any complements about this kid?

I'm not opposed to BWW, but there are other CB's that I prefer on Day 2.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

I think our biggest need in the draft  could be OT.  If we lose Vollmer we have nobody to back up Solder at LT.  If Solder goes down we are screwed.  Could we be considering a guy like Armstead or Long as developmental types?  It could be a long shot for either of them to make it to 61 and 29 is too big of a reach.  Trading down is always possible.

I'm also a little worried about our depth at OG too with the loss of Thomas.  Connolly has a tendency to miss a few games a year and Mankins for the first time showed he's human.  Warford could be a nice addition at 61. 

If we wanted depth at center I love Schwenke and he has experience at both guard positions but has played more at LG which is what we need as we have nobody behind Mankins at LG.  Prior to his senior year at center, Schwenke played 23 games at LG.  I would love Warford or Schwenke at 61 if we are able to retain Vollmer.

i agree with teh need. dont have the picks. need to pull th fa trigger on some help.

warford was one of my guys early on.

Guards in FA are thin. Kevin Boothe, Giants, 30, C/G-versatile would be my pick.  I think in the Draft we could get a back-up in the 3rd round. Mayock loved Schwenke, he would be a solid pick.

I think we push back into the 2nd unless there is a drop like what happened with Wilfork.  There are some mocks saying we grab Hunt at 29. Not sure if that happens w/Abraham. A tall bookend like  C Jones could happen maybe Tank Carradine.

I agree with Faucet that LB might be value at 29.  However, the FA LB market is still flooded. Nick Barnett, OLB, Bills. Age: 32 would be solid for run and coverage and Daryl Smith, OLB, Jaguars. Age: 31 same for Smith.  ILB has Brad Jones, ILB, Packers. Age: 27, and Karlos Dansby, ILB, Dolphins. Age: 31.   Not sure if we would pay much.

Let's list the facts and assume the following:

Signed:

WR, Amendola

SS, Wilson

CB, Arrington

RB, Washington

WR, D Jones

Assumptions:

1. Talib resigns

2. Mallet traded for DT, P Taylor and 3rd pick (rumor yesterday) ( maybe pipedrem)

3. Sanders signs sheet Steelers don't match.

4. Vollmer resigns

5. Abraham Signs

OT done

DT done

CB need one more

RB done

WR need one or two ( 1 FA, 1 draft) Nelson in FA, if health)

Coverage ILB (I think FA)

Pass rush

If you still have 3 picks in the 1st three rds:

1. pass rush (a top tier player will make a bigger impact than a CB, will he be there at 29) (Hunt, Jones, Carradine, Okafor, Montgomery)

2. WR (2nd round talent, Woods, Patton, Wheaton, Williams)

3. CB (Talib, Dennard, Arrington, Ras-I,......and) (Alford, Ryan, Mathieu, Gratz, webb, Wreh-Wilson)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

I think our biggest need in the draft  could be OT.  If we lose Vollmer we have nobody to back up Solder at LT.  If Solder goes down we are screwed.  Could we be considering a guy like Armstead or Long as developmental types?  It could be a long shot for either of them to make it to 61 and 29 is too big of a reach.  Trading down is always possible.

I'm also a little worried about our depth at OG too with the loss of Thomas.  Connolly has a tendency to miss a few games a year and Mankins for the first time showed he's human.  Warford could be a nice addition at 61. 

If we wanted depth at center I love Schwenke and he has experience at both guard positions but has played more at LG which is what we need as we have nobody behind Mankins at LG.  Prior to his senior year at center, Schwenke played 23 games at LG.  I would love Warford or Schwenke at 61 if we are able to retain Vollmer.

i agree with teh need. dont have the picks. need to pull th fa trigger on some help.

Guards in FA are thin. Kevin Boothe, Giants, 30, C/G-versatile would be my pick.  I think in the Draft we could get a back-up in the 3rd round. Mayock loved Schwenke, he would be a solid pick.

I think we push back into the 2nd unless there is a drop like what happened with Wilfork.  There are some mocks saying we grab Hunt at 29. Not sure if that happens w/Abraham. A tall bookend like  C Jones could happen maybe Tank Carradine.

I agree with Faucet that LB might be value at 29.  However, the FA LB market is still flooded. Nick Barnett, OLB, Bills. Age: 32 would be solid for run and coverage and Daryl Smith, OLB, Jaguars. Age: 31 same for Smith.  ILB has Brad Jones, ILB, Packers. Age: 27, and Karlos Dansby, ILB, Dolphins. Age: 31.   Not sure if we would pay much.

Signed:

WR, Amendola

DE, Abraham

SS, Wilson

CB, Arrington

RB, Washington

Assumptions:

1. Talib resigns

2. Mallet traded for DT, P Taylor and 3rd pick (rumor yesterday) ( maybe pipedrem)

DT done

CB need one more

RB done

Pass rush

1. pass rush (a top tier player will make a bigger impact than a CB, will he be there at 29) (Hunt, Jones, Carradine, Okafor, Montgomery)

3. CB (Talib, Dennard, Arrington, Ras-I,......and) (Alford, Ryan, Mathieu, Gratz, webb, Wreh-Wilson)

Hey JJ,

Good level of detail, but I do have one question... you have DT listed as "done", what are you basing that on? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Signed:

WR, Amendola

DE, Abraham

SS, Wilson

CB, Arrington

RB, Washington

Assumptions:

1. Talib resigns

DT done

CB need one more

RB done

Pass rush

Hey JJ,

Good level of detail, but I do have one question... you have DT listed as "done", what are you basing that on? 

The pipedream that Phil Taylor comes with Mallett trade (haha).  That rumor was floating around yesterday.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Signed:

WR, Amendola

DE, Abraham

SS, Wilson

CB, Arrington

RB, Washington

Assumptions:

1. Talib resigns

DT done

CB need one more

RB done

Pass rush

Hey JJ,

The pipedream that Phil Taylor comes with Mallett trade (haha).  That rumor was floating around yesterday.

Sorry, I missed that piece when reading your breakdown, ha.

As for the WR piece, on the assumption that they land Sanders (and that Lloyd is restructuring), I don't see WR as an immediate need (Day 1/2), so they may instead target somebody in Rd 3-7 instead (Swope/ Boyce/Sanders/Harper, etc).

Now, if Lloyd isn't retained, then I think the position is back in play within the Top 64. 

Overall, it's clear to me that BB is looking to improve his overall team speed and athleticism in that area.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

MB if we resign Talib we play more man right? this could avoid us drafting Logan Ryan?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

MB if we resign Talib we play more man right? this could avoid us drafting Logan Ryan?

Talib allows them to mix in more man, yes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

I saw some Ryan`s videos and this kid is great, but in a zone scheme

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

BB will generally target scheme diverse kids and I think Logan has the skill set/movement ability to play in either.  Talib will allow them to play more man, but I don't that means they'll become a base man team. 

Like DMC, this kid is a very good tackler, which is something that I think will appeal to BB, who values that particular skill set.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

BB will generally target scheme diverse kids and I think Logan has the skill set/movement to play in either.  Talib will allow them to play more man, but I don't that means they'll be come a base man team. 

Like DMC, this kid is a very good tackler, which is something that I think will appeal to BB, who values that particular skill set.

Great thoughts MB, I will take a look to another prospects, what names I should take a look?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

BB will generally target scheme diverse kids and I think Logan has the skill set/movement to play in either.  Talib will allow them to play more man, but I don't that means they'll be come a base man team. 

Great thoughts MB, I will take a look to another prospects, what names I should take a look?

You looking for CB prospects or other positions?  Let me know and I can give you some names that I'm high on.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

You looking for CB prospects or other positions?  Let me know and I can give you some names that I'm high on.

Now I`m taking a look at CB prospects

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

You still want to draft Matthieu with Arrington just inked? As you said earlier, Matthieu given his size probably a slot corner, not a guy you would line up on the outside. I would rather give a 3rd for sanders, grab a bigger cb we can play outside at the end of round 2, and get our stud interior DT or de in round 1..

I agree.  We don't need, and shouldn't want, the Honey Badger.  Forget the off field issues, which he admits are still a problem in that he needs a support system, at 5-8 and change, he is just two small to stand up against most WRs.  He reminds me of Hobbs - a total liability in the red zone.  You could throw a fade to even a 6 foot receiver against Matthieu in the end zone all day long with great success.

That said, I wish well for the kid.  He wants to do good but he's just too small to be a top DB in the NFL.

hobbs and mattieu are two completely different types of players. tyrann is more physical and a better playmaker.

True.  He is tougher and more physically gifted than Hobbs but he is still size deficient.  Had he been in there instead of Hobbs in the '07 Super Bowl, he likely still gives up the GW TD pass to Plaxico Burress.

I agree with bredbrue, I too would like to see us get some taller corners, like Seattle has.  I doubt Rhodes will be there at 29 and although Trufant isn't as tall, he's tall enough for me and I like his range and attitude.

just about any CB in the league would have given up that TD in single coverage vs Plax in his prime. the 2 best at the time revis and champ bailey are midgets next to Plax also.

People using the Hobbs play in the 2007 season superbowl is so misguided.

1st Hobbs was playing through a torn labrum.

2nd Junior was calling for an all out blitz which Rodney was trying to call off but Junior would have no part of it. Rodney had recognition of the matchup problem in that situation. Rodney was right.

3rd and most importantly. The CB's job in that particular circumstance is to play inside out coverage.

The size thing is the farthest thing down the list of problems on that play.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Cool, take a look at Houston CB DJ Hayden... he's prob my top "under the radar" prospect in this class.  Most publications have him listed as a Day 3 kid, due to a freak injury, where he tore a vein/artery during practice after a collision with a teammate... the injury carries a high fatality rate (I'v seen it listed at 95%), so he's one of the lucky ones. 

With that being said, he's one of the best pure cover corners in college football (good feet, awareness and ball skils) and is not afraid to mix it up in the run game and is good at setting the edge/funneling the action back inside where needed.

I have a Rd 2 grade on this kid.

Miss State CB, Darius Slay is another kid that I'm very high on.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Cool, take a look at Houston CB DJ Hayden... he's prob my top "under the radar" prospect in this class.  Most publications have him listed as a Day 3 kid, due to a freak injury, where he tore a vein/artery during practice after a collision with a teammate... the injury carries a high fatality rate (I'v seen it listed at 95%), so he's one of the lucky ones. 

With that being said, he's one of the best pure cover corners in college football (good feet, awareness and ball skils) and is not afraid to mix it up in the run game and is good at setting the edge/funneling the action back inside where needed.

Ok I`ll take a look at this kids

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Ok I`ll take a look at this kids

MB Dj Hayden is awesome man, he is always around the ball, he looks like a shadow, in the game against UCLA this kid was a beast, could intercept three passes, forced a fumble,  what a corner! he also avoid blocks to stop runs, not one of the bigger but he is tough he can be a great fit in our defense!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Agree, OT certainly rise up the board a bit if they're unable to retain Vollmer... DJ Fluker may then become an option in Rd 1 or at least in the Top 40 or so... kid is nasty, competitive and has vines for arms... could also kick inside.

I'm with you on Schwenke... as well as Barrett Jones, Brian Winters, Long and David Quessenberry, as Day 2 kids (or a Jeff Baca on Day 3) that move well and could interest them on the interior.

Do you see Fluker making it to 29?  I don't.  The top three tackles are gonna come off the board in the top 10 easily.  Someone is going to take Fluker with 20+ picks before ours, CIN maybe.  Besides, I'm not sure he has the movement skills to play LT.  I think he will be a beast at RT though.  That said, I would definitely be all over Fluker if he made it to 29. 

I don't think he's a lock to be off the board by 29, no... but it's fair to assume that he may be due to the relative lack of OT depth in this class... I also agree that he's prob a RT/OG only, which may be one of the reasons that he could be available.

If Fluker makes it to 29, I would be all over him especially now that Talib is returning.  Until we know the status of Vollmer, RT is our biggest need.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

just about any CB in the league would have given up that TD in single coverage vs Plax in his prime. the 2 best at the time revis and champ bailey are midgets next to Plax also.

It certainly didn't help that Hobbs fell down on the play.  But if we had a bigger physical corner who could press, maybe he doesn't get to his spot.  But let's face it, that Tyree catch was the one that killed us.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Given recent signings and assumed moves (Freeney/Abraham signing as pass rusher, Sanders RFA for a 3rd) I think priorities have shifted. My take right now:

• I'm hearing they are extremely high on both Cannon and Zusevics so I don't see them going OL early
    • The signing of A Wilson shows that they have some confidence in the younger T. Wilson. I'm thinking A. Wilson is a bridge/platoon to help trained and mentor T. Wilson so S has moved completely off my list
    • With Amendola, Jones, and if they sign Sanders I don't see them targetting WR early in the draft and instead might look to add a larger #4/5 WR via FA (Nelson/Ramses) regardless if they keep Lloyd or not
    • If they sign Freeney or Abraham they won't go DE early in the draft with Francis and Bequette on the team
    • Even after they resigned Talib I don't trust Arrington outside so they still need a backup outside CB
    • There is no way BB would give up a 3rd for Sanders unless he knew he was getting picks back from Mallett. I can't see BB going into a draft with a 1st and 2nd and 2 7ths. So I'm guessing he will end up getting a 3rd this year and a conditional pick next year from the Browns

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Given recent signings and assumed moves (Freeney/Abraham signing as pass rusher, Sanders RFA for a 3rd) I think priorities have shifted. My take right now:

• I'm hearing they are extremely high on both Cannon and Zusevics so I don't see them going OL early (agreed, but may need 1 more)
    • The signing of A Wilson shows that they have some confidence in the younger T. Wilson. I'm thinking A. Wilson is a bridge/platoon to help trained and mentor T. Wilson so S has moved completely off my list
    • With Amendola, Jones, and if they sign Sanders I don't see them targetting WR early in the draft and instead might look to add a larger #4/5 WR via FA (Nelson/Ramses) regardless if they keep Lloyd or not (Lloyd and Nelson) ( late round WR)
    • If they sign Freeney or Abraham they won't go DE early in the draft with Francis and Bequette on the team. (depends if somone drops)
    • Even after they resigned Talib I don't trust Arrington outside so they still need a backup outside CB (Yes depth)
    • There is no way BB would give up a 3rd for Sanders unless he knew he was getting picks back from Mallett. I can't see BB going into a draft with a 1st and 2nd and 2 7ths. So I'm guessing he will end up getting a 3rd this year and a conditional pick next year from the Browns  (The pipedream, Mallett for a 3rd and Phil Taylor) If Mallet is seen as the best QB fit for Cleveland a 3rd and a 2nd next year/3rd next year would do it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from braunzy. Show braunzy's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

• I'm hearing they are extremely high on both Cannon and Zusevics so I don't see them going OL early (agreed, but may need 1 more)
    • With Amendola, Jones, and if they sign Sanders I don't see them targetting WR early in the draft and instead might look to add a larger #4/5 WR via FA (Nelson/Ramses) regardless if they keep Lloyd or not (Lloyd and Nelson) ( late round WR)
    • If they sign Freeney or Abraham they won't go DE early in the draft with Francis and Bequette on the team. (depends if somone drops)
    • Even after they resigned Talib I don't trust Arrington outside so they still need a backup outside CB (Yes depth)
    • There is no way BB would give up a 3rd for Sanders unless he knew he was getting picks back from Mallett. I can't see BB going into a draft with a 1st and 2nd and 2 7ths. So I'm guessing he will end up getting a 3rd this year and a conditional pick next year from the Browns  (The pipedream, Mallett for a 3rd and Phil Taylor) If Mallet is seen as the best QB fit for Cleveland a 3rd and a 2nd next year/3rd next year would do it.

If they could get Phil Taylor, Abraham/freeny Sanders and sign another veteran CB such as Jammer, I think that would put them in the optimal position to take best player available regardless of position. 

And I hope that would be Carradine! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

With Talib locked up for another year, and the addition of Adrian Wilson, we may not even target DB early in the draft, especially if Dennard avoids jail time. I think Dennard's sentencing is in early April so we will know.

At Safety we have:

McCourty

A. Wilson

T. Wilson

Greggory

Ebner

At Corner we have:

Talib

Dennard

Arrington

Dowling

Since McCourty can play CB too we could actually go with 9 DBs this year or maybe sign another vet F/A CB as I can't imagine Cole being the best option out there.

So, if the above assumptions are solid, and we pick up one of the aging stud edge rushers, I could really see us going OL with one of those top two picks.  If we sign Sanders and re-structure Lloyd, we could be set at WR. 

Lloyd

Sanders

Amendola

Jones

Edelman or TBD

We're already set at RB and TE.  This could be one of those years like 2007 where we don't do much in the draft.

Mankins is 31 and Connolly is 30.  I really would like see us add a top interior Offensive linesman and perhaps a young edge rusher or ILB to use in nickel situations.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

With Talib locked up for another year, and the addition of Adrian Wilson, we may not even target DB early in the draft, especially if Dennard avoids jail time. I think Dennard's sentencing is in early April so we will know.

At Safety we have:

McCourty

A. Wilson

T. Wilson

Greggory

Ebner

At Corner we have:

Talib

Dennard

Arrington

Dowling

Since McCourty can play CB too we could actually go with 9 DBs this year or maybe sign another vet F/A CB as I can't imagine Cole being the best option out there.

So, if the above assumptions are solid, and we pick up one of the aging stud edge rushers, I could really see us going OL with one of those top two picks.  If we sign Sanders and re-structure Lloyd, we could be set at WR. 

Lloyd

Sanders

Amendola

Jones

Edelman or TBD

We're already set at RB and TE.  This could be one of those years like 2007 where we don't do much in the draft.

Mankins is 31 and Connolly is 30.  I really would like see us add a top interior Offensive linesman and perhaps a young edge rusher or ILB to use in nickel situations.

We basically have 3 corners right now and one of them can't move outside. Ras I have zero faith can last a game yet alone a season. Our CB core is paper thin. I'd like to add another vet and draft someone in the 2nd or 3rd