***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

I've gotta say, I am not happy with how our WR situation is shaping up.  Right now we have Amendola instead of Welker and Jones instead of Lloyd.  Both significant downgrades. We take two durable guys with better production and replace them with guys who have injury/health issues.  With our two less-than-durable TEs, I could see us in big trouble if these guys start to drop like flies.

Now I'm hearing Edelman could go to San Fran.  That would not be good at all.

Even if we got Sanders, we have not improved over last year's WR corpes.  The F/A class is getting thin at WR.  Heyward-Bay could be the best option left.  I think we have to draft one WR for sure.  If we don't get Sanders or add another quality F/A WR we need to draft 2 of them in the first 3 rounds. 

This is looking like 2006 all over again.  Brady cannot be happy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

I'm with you Faucet.  Just a few days ago it seemed like WR was behind CB or DL.  Now it's becoming more imperative.  I'm not against the new guys but the durability issues are worrisome.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Stay calm faucet. Bb is going to make some moves in FA, and I think he adds 2 more wr's. By the time camp rolls around, we will have beefed up our WR corps and be better for it. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

I'm not a DHB fan. I'd rather give Titus Young a shot at a low guarantee contract. Guys like Laurent Robinson, David Nelson, Steve Breaston, Early Doucet, and Ramses Barden.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to jcri's comment:

I'm with you Faucet.  Just a few days ago it seemed like WR was behind CB or DL.  Now it's becoming more imperative.  I'm not against the new guys but the durability issues are worrisome.

Yeah, even Sanders has injury concerns assuming we get him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Stay calm faucet. Bb is going to make some moves in FA, and I think he adds 2 more wr's. By the time camp rolls around, we will have beefed up our WR corps and be better for it. 

IDK.  I don't see a lot of WR talent left in F/A.  I think I'll be scared awhile, lol.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

I've gotta say, I am not happy with how our WR situation is shaping up.  Right now we have Amendola instead of Welker and Jones instead of Lloyd.  Both significant downgrades. We take two durable guys with better production and replace them with guys who have injury/health issues.  With our two less-than-durable TEs, I could see us in big trouble if these guys start to drop like flies.

Even if we got Sanders, we have not improved over last year's WR corpes.  The F/A class is getting thin at WR.  Heyward-Bay could be the best option left.  I think we have to draft one WR for sure.  If we don't get Sanders or add another quality F/A WR we need to draft 2 of them in the first 3 rounds. 

Removing the potential for injuries to happen to any WR or TE from the equation for a moment. ...and assuming the Pats eventually land ES.

How exactly do you "know" the receiving situation is at a significant downgrade to last year? Have you seen any of these three players play in the Patriots offensive system and with TB before? Not sure what we know we'll get. One way or the other.

I am assuming its just your gut feeling Faucet.

Welker 118 rec 174 tgts 11.5 avg .67 rec/tgt

Amendola 63 rec 101 tgts 10.6 avg .62 rec/tgt (without TB, Gronk, etc)

Welker - 5'9, 32 yrs old at start of season

Amendola - 5'11, 27 yrs old at start of season

Lloyd 74 rec 130 tgts 12.3 avg .56 rec/tgt

Sanders 44 rec 74 tgts 14.2 avg .59 rec/tgt (without TB, Gronk, etc)

Lloyd - 6'0, 32 yrs old at start of season

Sanders - 5'11, 26 yrs old at start of season

Branch 16 rec 29 tgts 9.1 avg .55 rec/tgt

Jones 41 rec 67 tgts 10.8 avg .61 rec/tgt (without TB, Gronk, etc)

Branch - 5'9, 34 yrs old at start of season

Jones - 6'0, 25 yrs old at strat of season

I just do not see a significant downgrade to last year. ...and if TB helps elevate those guys even a lil bit? No good vibes creeping in?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

Sanders isn't a patriot

That is why the post starts with ...and assuming the patriots eventually land ES ;-)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

i dont think its ideal. welker is a tank, virtually indescructable., a team first guy, i could see letting him go if we went and paid jennings 8 mil per year on a big contract. otherwise paying wes 2yrs -16 was a safeer way to go. amendola has more talent than wes probably and better hands, but its a gamblel that he stays healthy. he broke his chest open diving to the turf. we'll see.

whether we had lloyd or jones, we are going to need a big outside wr.

been saying for a few weeks, we shoudl get all our needs ie cb, pass rusher, o line, and if dt needed, in fa and take pass rusher and 2 big wrs in the draft (hopkins / rogers or similar)

trade mallet, use 2014 picks, whatever.

facuet i agree, wood, edelman, wlekr, lloyd were more reliable proven guys than what we have

and too, i did want ot revamp the offense and nto have 6,000 passes for 4 yards and have a big reliable fast guy take 2 defenders with him on every play on the outside (not lloyd).

so its a big risk. but there is a chance we can be better.

there might have been a middle ground???

bring abrahmam and grimes in, sanders im ehh. more proven than a rookie, but not the size i want in say a da rick rogers.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

i dont think its ideal. welker is a tank, virtually indescructable., a team first guy, i could see letting him go if we went and paid jennings 8 mil per year on a big contract. otherwise paying wes 2yrs -16 was a safeer way to go. amendola has more talent than wes probably and better hands, but its a gamblel that he stays healthy. he broke his chest open diving to the turf. we'll see.

been saying for a few weeks, we shoudl get all our needs ie cb, pass rusher, o line, and if dt needed, in fa and take pass rusher and 2 big wrs in the draft (hopkins / rogers or similar)

facuet i agree, wood, edelman, wlekr, lloyd were more reliable proven guys than what we have

and too, i did want ot revamp the offense and nto have 6,000 passes for 4 yards and have a big reliable fast guy take 2 defenders with him on every play on the outside (not lloyd).

bring abrahmam and grimes in, sanders im ehh. more proven than a rookie, but not the size i want in say a da rick rogers.

If you gotta have size size size why not advocate engs guy Nelson and draft hunter. They both make Hopkins and Rogers seem small if the difference of a few inches matters that much.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

bred.... isn't jennings coming off an injury? why is he such a safer option than amendola?

he doesnt have a history of being injury prone. games played, reliabliltiy, and ability far over welker (so if we were going ot move on from him, would have been a lot safer).

this still may work. amendola adn a few other bodies if we get 1 or 2 potential top wrs in draft.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

If you gotta have size size size why not advocate engs guy Nelson and draft hunter. They both make Hopkins and Rogers seem small if the difference of a few inches matters that much.

hi low,

well cause obviously its not just size.

re rogers try this:

"Rogers is a virtual Julio Jones clone, exhibiting an exciting combination of size, strength and explosiveness." (draft scout)

and due to his pot issue got kicked off tenesse and is projected to bew in 3rd rd.

(and 6 3' 220 aint bad :)

hunter could be a big player too.

hopkins i think may be more likely a star and has more skils.

(ps hunter is only 1 inch taller than rogers and 2 " taller than hopkins)

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

bred.... isn't jennings coming off an injury? why is he such a safer option than amendola?

he doesnt have a history of being injury prone. games played, reliabliltiy, and ability far over welker (so if we were going ot move on from him, would have been a lot safer).

this still may work. amendola adn a few other bodies if we get 1 or 2 potential top wrs in draft.

In 2006 he missed 2 games from and ankle injury. 2007, he missed 3 games from hamstring, ankle, shoulder, and groin injuries. Missed 3 games in 20011 with a knee injury. 2012, 8 games due to groin/hernia. 

Amendola 27 years old- 5 years/$28.5M with $10M guarenteed

Jennings 29 years old- 5 years/$45M with $18M guarenteed

I think BB did well.

i said we may make out.

and jennings was a surer thing, performancewise and physical reliability.

its ok if we differ.

tho seems to me, not to be a huge differ here

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

walter has carradine currently at 30, hopkins at 36, rogers at 94.

in this scenario, we could go carradine in rd 1, best abvail cb (alford, anthony, ryan, poyer, hayden, mathieu, mcfadden) or wr (woods, williams, harper, patton, swope, wheaton, dobson) in 2, and rogers in rd 3

if we get a 2nd with mallet, id shoot up for hopkins in rd 2 (bb might engage his hobby of making 3-4 picks out of it)

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Well I'm going to agree with Faucet, the WR core is looking closer to 06' then 07' and it's looking less likely Sanders will be a Pat so imo the Pats are looking at #60 as a way to fill the WR position. If they trade Mallett and get an early 3rd we could see them double down on WR this year which wouldn't be a bad thing, but who do you guys see as potential matches in the late 2nd to late 3rd range?

My list is:

Da'Rick Rodgers* - My top choice right now. Big, strong, fast, great hands, and a solid route runner. Yes a bit of a knucklehead but he's a 1st round talent that's going to fall because of a failed drug test (sounds like a BB move to me)

Terrance Williams - Even without RGIII, Williams lead the nation in yrds this past year and is a very solid all around WR. Good route runner, decent size, decent speed, and can create separation

Robert Woods - His ankle injury limited his deep ball threat ability but at 6'1" 4.4 speed if you are looking for a good down field threat Woods would be an interesting pick up. The couple knocks on Woods is he doesn't have the most consistent hands and has trouble creating separation at times

Markus Wheaton - Speedy, decent size, good hands, and great YAC ability. Wheaton is the A typical Pats WR. Shifty and below 6'

Marquess Wilson* - Now this is a guy I could see drafting because it fits BB MO. Wilson is a 1st round talent who is going to drop because of his fight with coaches. If BB is alright with Wilsons explanation of the incident but he's a strong big WR who fights at the line and for the ball. He's a bit slowly by is very good at blocking out defenders and creating separation. In the back of the 3rd he's pose good value, something BB loves

Ryan Swope - A board favorite he closely resembles Welker in ability but with better size. He'd make a great slot option with YAC ability

Marcus Davis - I've been on and off on the kid. On one hand how often do you find a 6'5" 230lb WR with 4.45 speed? On the other hand the guy takes plays off and doesn't put any effort at all into run blocking. With the WR core the way it is BB might want to take a chance on the physical freak with great hands in the back of the 3rd and grind his teeth with his Moss like tendecies

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Eng,

do you really think bb is going into the draft with just jones and amendola as our 1-2 punch at WR? I Think he learned his lesson in 06. I can't believe bb would blow up his WR corps with no plan other than amendola and jones. Something gotta give here. 

I think the pats have 2 more moves they will make in FA regarding the WR position. we may even see your guy Nelson brought in. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Removing the potential for injuries to happen to any WR or TE from the equation for a moment. ...and assuming the Pats eventually land ES.

How exactly do you "know" the receiving situation is at a significant downgrade to last year? Have you seen any of these three players play in the Patriots offensive system and with TB before? Not sure what we know we'll get. One way or the other.

I just do not see a significant downgrade to last year. ...and if TB helps elevate those guys even a lil bit? No good vibes creeping in?

Not sure it's a downgrade, but also don't see it as a clear upgrade in a unit that I believe needs an upgrade.  I didn't really like the wideouts last year.  Yes, with TEs added in, the receiving corp was fine, but the WRs weren't strong overall and that had an impact on offensive diversity and depth.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

hi low,

well cause obviously its not just size.

re rogers try this:

"Rogers is a virtual Julio Jones clone, exhibiting an exciting combination of size, strength and explosiveness." (draft scout)

and due to his pot issue got kicked off tenesse and is projected to bew in 3rd rd.

(and 6 3' 220 aint bad :)

hunter could be a big player too.

hopkins i think may be more likely a star and has more skils.

(ps hunter is only 1 inch taller than rogers and 2 " taller than hopkins)

Hi bred,

I was just having a lil fun with you and that was my point. You saying ps this guy is only 1 inch or 2 inches taller does not matter, when comparing Hunter to Hopkins and Rogers. 

(ps I was expecting and hoping for that response to illustrate the mindset)

Its the same thing when I say to you or others that Hopkins or rodgers is only 1 or 2 inches taller than the 5'11 or 6' guys.

1 -2 inches is 1-2 inches is my only point. Weather it is comparing from 5'11 to 6'1 or 6'1 to 6'3.

As you mentioned, it's not all about size.

I do like both Hopkins and Rodgers. Anyone seen any wonderlic scores this season or did they replace that test with something new? If so what was the name of the new test?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

Brady's arm is going to fall off by October with all the new receivers he's going to have to break in.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Not sure it's a downgrade, but also don't see it as a clear upgrade in a unit that I believe needs an upgrade.  I didn't really like the wideouts last year.  Yes, with TEs added in, the receiving corp was fine, but the WRs weren't strong overall and that had an impact on offensive diversity and depth.

I think health had the biggest to do with it.

No Gronk or Edelman and Brady wearing the heck out of poor welker.

Even if Gronk does not play but you have a better blocking TE and replace Branch with someone who can still run then I do not think they stall as much.

The bottom line is on papaer we have absolutely no idea. The corp could be a downgrade, upgrade, or simple lateral move for more youth, speed, height, and high hopes??

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Eng,

do you really think bb is going into the draft with just jones and amendola as our 1-2 punch at WR? I Think he learned his lesson in 06. I can't believe bb would blow up his WR corps with no plan other than amendola and jones. Something gotta give here. 

I think the pats have 2 more moves they will make in FA regarding the WR position. we may even see your guy Nelson brought in. 

I'd like to think he wouldn't but I don't see many options in the FA market (I don't consider Bey and option personally and I want him to grab Nelson but he's a #3/4 red zone threat). He could go after Sanders again but if Sanders didn't get an offer sheet last time I'm not sure I see it happening again. Either way though unless he gets a proven vet (and even that no certainty to fit) then any new WR core is going to have big question marks regardless

Sections
Shortcuts