***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

Same here MB, and thanks JJ for posting.

if we don't do any more in FA, sign me up for 2 of the 4 from above. I will take Rogers and Bailey. Trade back with our round 1 pick, grab a 2nd and 4th, draft Rogers and bailey in round 2 respectively . I don't think bailey makes it to the bottom of round 3 with his production. That is incredibly impressive given he was on the same team as Austin. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

It's prob a given, but below are my most underrated players in this class on both offense and defense... curious to who everone else thinks is underratd on both sides of the ball?

Offense:  West Virginia WR Stedman Bailey

Defense:  Houston CB DJ Hayden

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Dan Hope @Dan_Hope 2m

Arkansas St. S Don Jones worked out for the #Patriots today, per his agent.

Don Jones, S (5-11 1/8, 191) — Jones ran a 4.42- and 4.40-second 40-yard dash, had a 42-inch vertical jump and 10-foot-7 broad jump. He ran the short-shuttle in 4.48 seconds, the three-cone drill in 7.19 seconds and had 17 reps of 225 pounds. He’s described as one of those fifth or sixth defensive backs due to his speed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Jon Scott @jscottNFL 1m

#Patriots busy checking in on prospects at #Virginia Pro Day Scout's list: http://ow.ly/jgAHx  OT Oday Aboushi & RB Steve Greer

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

From the "I can't let things go" file...

I'm still mad that the Pats went with Chung over Sean Smith. I remember Smith having mostly High 2nd grades, and a few low 1sts...was the best S available according to most reports...and went at the end of 2 (61)! While the Pats took Chung at 34!

Smith had everything you'd want: size, speed, athleticism. Ugh. Not only that, he made the rare switch from College S to PRO CB!

In the year Chung walks...they could correct that mistake. Though, I'm sure it's not worth the money he'll get somewhere.

2nd round picks: Chung, Brace, Butler, Vollmer. Yikes. 1 outta 4 ain't good.

Round 2 highlights: Leseasn McCoy (53), Sean Smith (62), Vollmer (58), James Laurenaitis (35), Rey Maualaga (38), Connor Barwin (46), Paul Kruger (57), Max Unger (49), William Moore (55), Jarius Byrd (another S, 42). Half the round handed out good, to very good picks...and the Pats got 1.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Just saw on rotoworlds mock draft, they have us taking a CB named Jamar Taylor. Truthfully I don't know about the kid but they called him the top senior CB in the draft who is good in off and press coverage at the line. Does anyone know more about the kid? All I can find is a great 40 and that most feel he's a 3rd round pick late 2nd at best. Now it does sound like BB to take a DB well before he's suppose to go but even this one might make me scratch my head given BB's love for DT's (they had Hankins, J. Williams, and Jenkins all available) and that this guy would most likely be in the back of the 2nd if they want him

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Jon Scott @jscottNFL 1m

#Patriots busy checking in on prospects at #Virginia Pro Day Scout's list: http://ow.ly/jgAHx  OT Oday Aboushi & RB Steve Greer

Aboushi is an interesting prospect. Completely underpowered an looked like a little kid playing against men at senior bowl. He'll need a year+ just to gain nearly enough strength to play in the pro's but has solid feet and hand work. Late day 3 type of pick. That's where I see the Pats targetting an OL. Day 3 truthfully

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Just saw on rotoworlds mock draft, they have us taking a CB named Jamar Taylor. Truthfully I don't know about the kid but they called him the top senior CB in the draft who is good in off and press coverage at the line. Does anyone know more about the kid? All I can find is a great 40 and that most feel he's a 3rd round pick late 2nd at best. Now it does sound like BB to take a DB well before he's suppose to go but even this one might make me scratch my head given BB's love for DT's (they had Hankins, J. Williams, and Jenkins all available) and that this guy would most likely be in the back of the 2nd if they want him

Have him as a Rd 2 kid on the board... good size/speed kid, fluid, athletic, physical/willing in run support, flashes some ball skills... has some durability questions.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

you've been following the draft for how long now and you don't know who Jamar Taylor is? LOL jk but that's pretty bad

sometimes 1 player out of 300 tends to fall through the cracks. It happens to all of us at times that a top 100 player is just missed. And, truthfully I don't really follow Boise very much

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

No. Please, No. No more CBs with "durability questions". Hoping Year 3 will find Ras-I on the field when games matter (that being post-turkey day).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

I'm still mad that the Pats went with Chung over Sean Smith. I remember Smith having mostly High 2nd grades, and a few low 1sts...was the best S available according to most reports...and went at the end of 2 (61)! While the Pats took Chung at 34!

Smith had everything you'd want: size, speed, athleticism. Ugh. Not only that, he made the rare switch from College S to PRO CB!

In the year Chung walks...they could correct that mistake. Though, I'm sure it's not worth the money he'll get somewhere.

Round 2 highlights: Leseasn McCoy (53), Sean Smith (62), Vollmer (58), James Laurenaitis (35), Rey Maualaga (38), Connor Barwin (46), Paul Kruger (57), Max Unger (49), William Moore (55), Jarius Byrd (another S, 42). Half the round handed out good, to very good picks...and the Pats got 1.

I'm still pissed about losing out on Randall Cobb, though Shane Vereen has flashed some good ability and should make some plays this year if he can stay healthy, as the primary 3rd down back.

Also really wanted Weddle back in the 2007 draft.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

I'm still pissed about losing out on Randall Cobb, though Shane Vereen has flashed some good ability and should make some plays this year if he can stay healthy, as the primary 3rd down back.

Yeah Dunlap, Matthews, and Jennings were my guys

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Looking back over my notes from years past. Oh what might have been had the Pats just taken a couple more guys from my favs over the years.

They rarely draft the guys I like most. Maybe 1 per draft, 2 if lucky.

Geno Atkins, Deangelo Williams, Justin Houston, Emmanuel Sanders, Jon Beason, Lamar Woodley, Jamaal Charles, Cliff Avril, Lesean McCoy, Eric Wood, Dan WIlliams, Daryl Washington, Golden Tate, John Jerry, Jimmy Graham, Greg Little, Randal Cobb, Greg Salas,  Harrison Smith, Ryan Broyles

Have to be honest, I liked the Chad Jackson and Shawn Crable picks at the time.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

One guy who has really flown under the radar is USC's Robert Woods.  He got over shadowed by stud teammate Marquise Lee last year, but he was also a bit slowed by an injury.  Make no mistake about it, this guy can play.  He made Barkley look very good for most of his career at USC and I think he is probably the best route runner in the draft.  If we could get him at 59 it would be an absolute steal, and to be honest I wouldn't be disappointed if we pulled the trigger on him at 29.  Thoughts?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

One guy who has really flown under the radar is USC's Robert Woods.  He got over shadowed by stud teammate Marquise Lee last year, but he was also a bit slowed by an injury.  Make no mistake about it, this guy can play.  He made Barkley look very good for most of his career at USC and I think he is probably the best route runner in the draft.  If we could get him at 59 it would be an absolute steal, and to be honest I wouldn't be disappointed if we pulled the trigger on him at 29.  Thoughts?

Spend 29 on Woods? I'm mixed about it. Exactly how you describe it. What sticks in my mind is the year he had most recently.  However, I did see him in 2011. I thought he had a shot at the first round.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

thoughts?...the draft needs to get here already.

yeah man! but get that mallet for a 2nd, in a3 team trade done already! :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

It's prob a given, but below are my most underrated players in this class on both offense and defense... curious to who everone else thinks is underratd on both sides of the ball?

both could be explosive

short stocky, 4.5, 6.81

not what im looking for as you know :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

No. Please, No. No more CBs with "durability questions". Hoping Year 3 will find Ras-I on the field when games matter (that being post-turkey day).

with any luck....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

i had him as a pcik for us very ealry on at our rd 2 pick. hes in a group of wrs in my backup plan

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Have him as a Rd 2 kid on the board... good size/speed kid, fluid, athletic, physical/willing in run support, flashes some ball skills... has some durability questions.

Perfect bb selection.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm a little indifferent for Woods. His ankle injury last year really limited his main asset (speed) and he wasn't able to get separation. He had a couple good outtings last year but in 11' he really killed it. He had good route running ability but could gain separation with quick bursts of speed. The major question I have is he didn't show the same explosiveness at the combine and he should have been recovered from the ankle at that point. There is a lot to like about Woods but I don't know he's a player I just feel on the fence about and there is just something about him that doesn't excite me. I have no clue why he doesn't but, when I get these funny feelings more often then not they turn out to be right.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Offense:  Tenn Tech WR Da'Rick Rodgers - The more I look at this guy the more I see the total package. To me he's up there with Patterson as someone who should be in discussion as a top 20 player if not for the incidents at Tenn but will most likely go late 2nd-3rd range. One of the more impressive things for me is when asked about Tenn he said "Simple. I was immature. I had to take full responsibility, look in the mirror at who I was and what I was doing wrong. I did those things when I went to Tennessee Tech, and it humbled me a lot.". Now to me that does sound like a kid that learned his lesson and someone BB would look at and see potential from a kid who's learned there is consquences for his actions 

Defense:  Georgia DT Kwane Geathers The unfortunate part for Geathers is that he played with Jenkins. But, Geathers could have been a starter on most teams in college and most likely would have ended up as an early day 2 pick. As it stands he's a late day 2 pick playing in the sub role at Georgia. However, Geathers has great NT size, a good explosive burst, good power, and even blocked a kick. He should have stayed in school and proved what he could have done without Jenkins but his stock is way down simply because he played on a team with Jenkins. I think someone will get great value in Geathers taking him in the 4th.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

So, NE was at Florida States pro-day and a bigger note that McDaniels was there. Which O player could McDaniels be scouting? I'd imagine it's not OL because they'd be sending Scar. Reliford maybe as a UDFA? 

Of course they could be scouting D players as they have Carradine, Werner, Jenkins, Rhodes but I have a feeling it's one of the smaller names we haven't seen yet and why send McDaniels to scout D?

Another interesting to note was reports Rhodes was having issues with the wet field conditions. If he has issues with wet field conditions I'd hate to imagine what he'd do in NE's condition. That's a big red flag for me. That he couldn't compensate for the adverse field conditions

BTW came across this, a confirmed list of games the Pats visited:

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013-nfl-draft-patriots-scouting-targets