Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***
posted at 3/21/2013 11:39 AM EDT
In response to PatsEng's comment:
In response to Faucetman's comment:
In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
In response to PatsEng's comment:
So, NE was at Florida States pro-day and a bigger note that McDaniels was there. Which O player could McDaniels be scouting? I'd imagine it's not OL because they'd be sending Scar. Reliford maybe as a UDFA?
Of course they could be scouting D players as they have Carradine, Werner, Jenkins, Rhodes but I have a feeling it's one of the smaller names we have seen yet and why send McDaniels to scout D?
Another interesting to note was reports Rhodes was having issues with the wet field conditions. If he has issues with wet field conditions I'd hate to imagine what he'd do in NE's condition. That's a big red flag for me. That he could compensate for the adverse field conditions
BTW came across this, a confirmed list of games the Pats visited:
My guess is he was taking a look at the below:
QB EJ Manuel (had this kid on my Big 53 Board for a short time, but he's getting talked up like a Top 50-64 kid, not sure BB is looking to go that high on a QB yet, but his big and skilled), WR Rodney Smith (this kid is 6-5 I believe, surprised Bred isn't on him yet, he loves him some tall WR's... could be a late round type kid with some upside), OT Menelik Watson (British, former basketball player with one year of D1 experience, heck I'm not sure he's played more than a year or two of football and some publications have him as a Rd 1 kid... though I think more Day 2).
Mayock said teams are salivating over the chance to coach up Watson. He said Watson showed amazing movement skills and while raw, could develop into a top OT in the league. Given our situation with Vollmer, proved by the signing of Svitek and our reported interest in Winston, it's clear the Pats are interested in the OT position. Watson is moving up board. CBS has him at 63 right now.
I could see us going WR, OT, WR with our top 3 picks. Or DT, OT, WR.
I keep hearing that they love Cannon and Svitek is more of a backup swing guy (one reason they wouldn't mind letting Vollmer leave). But, even if they do go OT in the draft I can't see them not taking a CB. There are too many reasons for them not to take one:
- Talib is on a one year deal with no certainty he'll be back. Getting a young player who can develop over a year in a nickel position and take over next year makes sense (ala Solder with Light)
- Arrington is almost purely an inside guy. Arrington has shown he can't handle outside duties on a regular basis so having him as the main outside backup right now would not make much sense
- McCourty is a starting FS. I've heard the logic "you can always move McCourty back to CB" and while true McCourty is a much better FS than CB so you would essentially be weakening two positions because of lack of depth
- Talib's never completed a full season. Going back to Arringtons not an outside guy point, Talib has yet to finish a 16 game season so at some point he's more then likely going to miss time. Right now if you keep Arrington on the inside that leaves Ras, Cole as the replacements?
- Cole is a STer only. The few chances he had to play CB proved this point
- Ras has less of a chance to complete a season then Talib does. Ras I wouldn't even consider a backup at this point because he's to unreliable to be a backup. If he can last more then 3/4 of a season that would be icing
Right now as I see it we have Talib, Arrington, and Dennard. I don't even consider Ras and Cole as reliable CBs at this point. We need another CB and imo it would be best to grab a young CB with high upside in the draft and cross our fingers.
I agree on the need to acquire another CB. And despite their hit rate in the draft, it would still be ideal for them to get the right one at the draft.
The problem is that you may have to reach for a CB at 29. My guess: Milliner goes to Cleveland (I'll believe the trade rumors when it actually happens; and now that KCC has Alex, Eagles' Kelly could see Geno as the right QB to run his offense.). After that, I cannot imagine Rhodes and Trufant getting past MIA, TBB, NYG, PIT, DAL, MIN and possibly IND. It's possible that Banks would also be gone before 29. Available at 29 then are Taylor, Amerson, Poyer, Slay.
If you don't reach for those at 29, what are the chances you see any of those four at 59? You then will probably be looking at Alford, Ryan, Mathieu, Gratz, Webb for 59.
Next set of CBs for consideration at 91 are Wreh-Wilson, McFadden, McGee, Davis.