***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

Exactly 5 weeks until the draft... let the countdown begin!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

So, NE was at Florida States pro-day and a bigger note that McDaniels was there. Which O player could McDaniels be scouting? I'd imagine it's not OL because they'd be sending Scar. Reliford maybe as a UDFA? 

Of course they could be scouting D players as they have Carradine, Werner, Jenkins, Rhodes but I have a feeling it's one of the smaller names we have seen yet and why send McDaniels to scout D?

Another interesting to note was reports Rhodes was having issues with the wet field conditions. If he has issues with wet field conditions I'd hate to imagine what he'd do in NE's condition. That's a big red flag for me. That he could compensate for the adverse field conditions

BTW came across this, a confirmed list of games the Pats visited:

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013-nfl-draft-patriots-scouting-targets

My guess is he was taking a look at the below:

QB EJ Manuel (had this kid on my Big 53 Board for a short time, but he's getting talked up like a Top 50-64 kid, not sure BB is looking to go that high on a QB yet, but his big and skilled), WR Rodney Smith (this kid is 6-5 I believe, surprised Bred isn't on him yet, he loves him some tall WR's... could be a late round type kid with some upside), OT Menelik Watson (British, former basketball player with one year of D1 experience, heck I'm not sure he's played more than a year or two of football and some publications have him as a Rd 1 kid... though I think more Day 2).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

It's prob a given, but below are my most underrated players in this class on both offense and defense... curious to who everone else thinks is underratd on both sides of the ball?

Offense:  West Virginia WR Stedman Bailey

Defense:  Houston CB DJ Hayden

Offense:  Tenn Tech WR Da'Rick Rodgers - The more I look at this guy the more I see the total package. To me he's up there with Patterson as someone who should be in discussion as a top 20 player if not for the incidents at Tenn but will most likely go late 2nd-3rd range. One of the more impressive things for me is when asked about Tenn he said "Simple. I was immature. I had to take full responsibility, look in the mirror at who I was and what I was doing wrong. I did those things when I went to Tennessee Tech, and it humbled me a lot.". Now to me that does sound like a kid that learned his lesson and someone BB would look at and see potential from a kid who's learned there is consquences for his actions 

Defense:  Georgia DT Kwane Geathers The unfortunate part for Geathers is that he played with Jenkins. But, Geathers could have been a starter on most teams in college and most likely would have ended up as an early day 2 pick. As it stands he's a late day 2 pick playing in the sub role at Georgia. However, Geathers has great NT size, a good explosive burst, good power, and even blocked a kick. He should have stayed in school and proved what he could have done without Jenkins but his stock is way down simply because he played on a team with Jenkins. I think someone will get great value in Geathers taking him in the 4th.

I know you've been on this kid from very early on.. watched more tape on Rogers last night... really like this kids toughness (def takes some big shots), his ability after the catch and his ability in the redzone/goal line... the mearsurables we know and assuming they're comfortable with his off the field, I'm fully onboard with this kid as a Day 2 option... have added him to my Big 53 board.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I can't see Manuel unless they are doing their due diligence. Depending what you get for Mallett in a trade, Manuel might not even be there at #59 and I doubt BB spends a pick that early on a QB who will sit on the bench for at least the next 3 years. Smith is a good possibilty that could be scouting. I can't see Watson either really. If you are looking to spend early on an OT then why send McDaniels and not Scar? Not to mention, from everything I hear they are perfectly happy giving the starting job to Cannon if they can't bring Vollmer back, which is why they are taking a hard stance with Vollmer. They already have a replacement plan in place

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

So, NE was at Florida States pro-day and a bigger note that McDaniels was there. Which O player could McDaniels be scouting? I'd imagine it's not OL because they'd be sending Scar. Reliford maybe as a UDFA? 

Of course they could be scouting D players as they have Carradine, Werner, Jenkins, Rhodes but I have a feeling it's one of the smaller names we have seen yet and why send McDaniels to scout D?

Another interesting to note was reports Rhodes was having issues with the wet field conditions. If he has issues with wet field conditions I'd hate to imagine what he'd do in NE's condition. That's a big red flag for me. That he could compensate for the adverse field conditions

QB EJ Manuel (had this kid on my Big 53 Board for a short time, but he's getting talked up like a Top 50-64 kid, not sure BB is looking to go that high on a QB yet, but his big and skilled), WR Rodney Smith (this kid is 6-5 I believe, surprised Bred isn't on him yet, he loves him some tall WR's... could be a late round type kid with some upside), OT Menelik Watson (British, former basketball player with one year of D1 experience, heck I'm not sure he's played more than a year or two of football and some publications have him as a Rd 1 kid... though I think more Day 2).

Hey Man. I'm glad you mentioned Rodney Smith. I remember watching him a few times last year and thinking that he looked pretty good.  Agree he could be a late-rounder w/ nice upside.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Mayock said teams are salivating over the chance to coach up Watson.  He said Watson showed amazing movement skills and while raw, could develop into a top OT in the league.  Given our situation with Vollmer, proved by the signing of Svitek and our reported interest in Winston, it's clear the Pats are interested in the OT position.  Watson is moving up board.  CBS has him at 63 right now.

I could see us going WR, OT, WR with our top 3 picks.  Or DT, OT, WR.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

Mayock said teams are salivating over the chance to coach up Watson.  He said Watson showed amazing movement skills and while raw, could develop into a top OT in the league.  Given our situation with Vollmer, proved by the signing of Svitek and our reported interest in Winston, it's clear the Pats are interested in the OT position.  Watson is moving up board.  CBS has him at 63 right now.

I keep hearing that they love Cannon and Svitek is more of a backup swing guy (one reason they wouldn't mind letting Vollmer leave). But, even if they do go OT in the draft I can't see them not taking a CB. There are too many reasons for them not to take one:

• Talib is on a one year deal with no certainty he'll be back. Getting a young player who can develop over a year in a nickel position and take over next year makes sense (ala Solder with Light)
    • Arrington is almost purely an inside guy. Arrington has shown he can't handle outside duties on a regular basis so having him as the main outside backup right now would not make much sense
    • McCourty is a starting FS. I've heard the logic "you can always move McCourty back to CB" and while true McCourty is a much better FS than CB so you would essentially be weakening two positions because of lack of depth
    • Talib's never completed a full season. Going back to Arringtons not an outside guy point, Talib has yet to finish a 16 game season so at some point he's more then likely going to miss time. Right now if you keep Arrington on the inside that leaves Ras, Cole as the replacements?
    • Cole is a STer only. The few chances he had to play CB proved this point
    • Ras has less of a chance to complete a season then Talib does. Ras I wouldn't even consider a backup at this point because he's to unreliable to be a backup. If he can last more then 3/4 of a season that would be icing

Right now as I see it we have Talib, Arrington, and Dennard. I don't even consider Ras and Cole as reliable CBs at this point. We need another CB and imo it would be best to grab a young CB with high upside in the draft and cross our fingers. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I keep hearing that they love Cannon and Svitek is more of a backup swing guy (one reason they wouldn't mind letting Vollmer leave). But, even if they do go OT in the draft I can't see them not taking a CB. There are too many reasons for them not to take one:

• Talib is on a one year deal with no certainty he'll be back. Getting a young player who can develop over a year in a nickel position and take over next year makes sense (ala Solder with Light)
    • Arrington is almost purely an inside guy. Arrington has shown he can't handle outside duties on a regular basis so having him as the main outside backup right now would not make much sense
    • McCourty is a starting FS. I've heard the logic "you can always move McCourty back to CB" and while true McCourty is a much better FS than CB so you would essentially be weakening two positions because of lack of depth
    • Talib's never completed a full season. Going back to Arringtons not an outside guy point, Talib has yet to finish a 16 game season so at some point he's more then likely going to miss time. Right now if you keep Arrington on the inside that leaves Ras, Cole as the replacements?
    • Ras has less of a chance to complete a season then Talib does. Ras I wouldn't even consider a backup at this point because he's to unreliable to be a backup. If he can last more then 3/4 of a season that would be icing

Right now as I see it we have Talib, Arrington, and Dennard. I don't even consider Ras and Cole as reliable CBs at this point. We need another CB and imo it would be best to grab a young CB with high upside in the draft and cross our fingers. 

I agree on the need to acquire another CB. And despite their hit rate in the draft, it would still be ideal for them to get the right one at the draft.

The problem is that you may have to reach for a CB at 29. My guess: Milliner goes to Cleveland (I'll believe the trade rumors when it actually happens; and now that KCC has Alex, Eagles' Kelly could see Geno as the right QB to run his offense.). After that, I cannot imagine Rhodes and Trufant getting past MIA, TBB, NYG, PIT, DAL, MIN and possibly IND. It's possible that Banks would also be gone before 29. Available at 29 then are Taylor, Amerson, Poyer, Slay.

If you don't reach for those at 29, what are the chances you see any of those four at 59? You then will probably be looking at Alford, Ryan, Mathieu, Gratz, Webb for 59.

Next set of CBs for consideration at 91 are Wreh-Wilson, McFadden, McGee, Davis.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Eng,

if you can't rely on cole and Ras, and the idea is to draft a young cb who we  might not be able to rely on due to youth unless we land a nugget like Dennard, isn't our best shot to acquire another FA cb?

my bigger concern right now is at WR. As much as I want us to take a DT early, I would rather have us double up on wr's early because we need them. i think we can get by with who we have On the DL.  I would feel even better if we grabbed Abraham. Not optimal, but we have limited picks and big holes. give me Rogers and Bailey at WR and we will be good to go. Trade back in round 1, take Rogers round 2, take a cb/DT with other round 2 pick, take bailey in round 3. Sign Abraham. Sign another ot or draft one late for depth. Lets get busy!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Eng,

if you can't rely on cole and Ras, and the idea is to draft a young cb who we  might not be able to rely on due to youth unless we land a nugget like Dennard, isn't our best shot to acquire another FA cb?

my bigger concern right now is at WR. As much as I want us to take a DT early, I would rather have us double up on wr's early because we need them. i think we can get by with who we have On the DL.  I would feel even better if we grabbed Abraham. Not optimal, but we have limited picks and big holes. give me Rogers and Bailey at WR and we will be good to go. Trade back in round 1, take Rogers round 2, take a cb/DT with other round 2 pick, take bailey in round 3. Sign Abraham. Sign another ot or draft one late for depth. Lets get busy!

I would say yes, but who's left at CB in the FA? Their aren't a lot of stand out CBs left on the market that I think would come to NE. Grimes I think many are concerned over the ACL and Nnamdi I just don't see coming to NE. To me draft is the best way to go and roll the dice. This is my biggest complaint about the FA so far. There was a glut of starting caliber CB, most in their prime, this year and all went for reasonable rates. Why we didn't get one more and essentially stuck with the same CB core that wasn't all that great without Talib is beyond me. 

If they sign Abraham (crossing my fingers) then I can see them taking a DT early and CB/WR with the next two picks. If they move Mallett and get a mid round pick I can see them using that on OL but honestly I think they were alright letting Vollmer walk because they like Cannon and I think they like Wendell a lot too. They picked up a swing T so really they need to add a swing T/G and I wouldn't want to use a 1-3 round pick on a backup swing OL.

The funny thing about CB this year is it's very weak in the 1st round. But, rounds 2-3 it's got some great depth and good players. Maybe not #1 caliber CB's but RCB's and slot CB's I think there are a lot to take your choice. Same with WR really

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

A bit more on Jamar Taylor

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/mar/20/Jamar-Taylor-Draft-Boise/?page=2#article-copy

Not sure about Boise State DBs, he does look the part though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Eng,

I would say yes, but who's left at CB in the FA? Their aren't a lot of stand out CBs left on the market that I think would come to NE. Grimes I think many are concerned over the ACL and Nnamdi I just don't see coming to NE. To me draft is the best way to go and roll the dice. This is my biggest complaint about the FA so far. There was a glut of starting caliber CB, most in their prime, this year and all went for reasonable rates. Why we didn't get one more and essentially stuck with the same CB core that wasn't all that great without Talib is beyond me. 

If they sign Abraham (crossing my fingers) then I can see them taking a DT early and CB/WR with the next two picks. If they move Mallett and get a mid round pick I can see them using that on OL but honestly I think they were alright letting Vollmer walk because they like Cannon and I think they like Wendell a lot too. They picked up a swing T so really they need to add a swing T/G and I wouldn't want to use a 1-3 round pick on a backup swing OL.

The funny thing about CB this year is it's very weak in the 1st round. But, rounds 2-3 it's got some great depth and good players. Maybe not #1 caliber CB's but RCB's and slot CB's I think there are a lot to take your choice. Same with WR really

DT in the first makes sense. Who do you pick at 29 if the following are taken?

Floyd, Richardson, J Williams, Hankins, Short

Therefore available are...

J Jenkins, S Williams, Lotulelei (Supposedly cleared to play, but certainly will have question marks about how much physical exertion he can take on). 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Not sure why, because how many RBs can we have?

Robbie Rouse also impressed timing 4.58s in the forty.  What stands out about Rouse is how quick his initial step was/is and how he immediately gets to top speed.  His top end speed is not great yet the belief leaving the pro-day is Rouse will be a terrific rotational back at the next level, potentially for the New England Patriots.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6877

Robbie Rouse, DS #27 RB, Fresno State   Name:  Robbie Rouse 
    College:  Fresno State      Number: 8
    Height: 5-06    Weight: 190 
    Position:  RB   Pos2: KR
    Class/Draft Year:  Sr/2013
    40 Low: 4.56    40 Time:  4.80   40 High: 4.85 
    Projected Round:    Stock:      
    Rated number 27 out of 192 RB's      373 / 2813 TOTAL  Combine Results  Pro Day Results Combine Invite:  Yes
    Height: 5053
    Weight: 190
    40 Yrd Dash: 4.80
    20 Yrd Dash: 
    10 Yrd Dash:  225 Lb. Bench Reps: 15
    Vertical Jump: 34
    Broad Jump: 09'06"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.25
    3-Cone Drill: 6.97
    +.16 over projected 40 range

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

J Jenkins, S Williams, Lotulelei (Supposedly cleared to play, but certainly will have question marks about how much physical exertion he can take on). 

If Star is there I'd take that shot. Star would essentially be a Sapp type of pick up and we all know BB tried to trade up for Sapp in Clev and couldn't. That also depend on the medical staff though and I don't have access to them. If they give the thumbs down then Jenkins is my choice. I actually have Jenkins higher then J. Williams and Short. Short because I think Jenkins will just be the better overall player, J. Williams because I think Jenkins is more polished but J. Williams might have higher potential.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

jj - I don't see Bolden making it through camp. After the suspension his performance decreased, his playing time took a major hit, and he just didn't look like the same runner to me (not the same burst or power). If PEDs were a reason for his performance early in the season and he no longer has them then they might be looking for a short yardage replacement. Though Rouse confuses me. He's to small to be a FB and to slow to be anything more then a 1-5yrd guy (think BJGE when he was here).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Eng,

This is going to go against what I want, but given the holes on this team, DT imidi dined, although. Deep in this years draft is not a high priority. We have warm bodies...not great but warm. So, right now, given the current roster, making no assumptions, I am trading out of 1 to acquire an additional pick If it can be done. I believe JWilliams will be there in round 2, and, if I want a DT, I am going with him near the top of round 2, then Rogers at wr bottom of round 2. 

I still think there are some decent FA corners available and I would try like heck to land one, or land another WR or two. This will dictate how I use my round 3 pick, and to an extent , my second  pick which I said to be used on Rogers. 

Bottomline...feeling very un comfortable with big parts of this roster as it stands today. We really need bb to pull a couple of FA triggers here to strengthen it and not leave us hamstrung in the draft.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

So, to sum it up, an extra pick is worth more to me this year than grabbing Jenkins or sWilliams at the end of round 2....based on the way things stand today.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

You get the link?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

This is going to go against what I want, but given the holes on this team, DT imidi dined, although. Deep in this years draft is not a high priority. We have warm bodies...not great but warm. So, right now, given the current roster, making no assumptions, I am trading out of 1 to acquire an additional pick If it can be done. I believe JWilliams will be there in round 2, and, if I want a DT, I am going with him near the top of round 2, then Rogers at wr bottom of round 2. 

I still think there are some decent FA corners available and I would try like heck to land one, or land another WR or two. This will dictate how I use my round 3 pick, and to an extent , my second  pick which I said to be used on Rogers. 

Bottomline...feeling very un comfortable with big parts of this roster as it stands today. We really need bb to pull a couple of FA triggers here to strengthen it and not leave us hamstrung in the draft.

If we can get back into the early part of the 2nd and gaurantee to get J. Williams then I agree lifer I'd trade the 1st back. I just want to come out of the draft with either Jenkins, Hankins, or J. Williams. I don't care where we get them just as long as we get one. As for Rogers, well you know I'm a big fan. Welcome to the dark side. I'm even starting to convert MB.

For CB's though, I see a lot of older guys and a bunch of #3/4 CB's that have hit their ceiling. If we can get younger at CB in the 3rd or if we can get an additional 3rd from either trading Mallett or the 1st trade back I have a list of #2 Cb types that can play outside I'd rather have then what's left in FA, namely: DJ Hayden, Alford, McFadden, Davis, Gratz, Webb who should all be available late 2nd to late 3rd range

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

It's prob a given, but below are my most underrated players in this class on both offense and defense... curious to who everone else thinks is underratd on both sides of the ball?

Offense:  West Virginia WR Stedman Bailey

Defense:  Houston CB DJ Hayden

both could be explosive

short stocky, 4.5, 6.81

not what im looking for as you know :)

I'm just looking for WR's that can pick up the offense quickly, get open and make plays (among other things), if that receiver has size, even better!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

You get the link?

Was gonna reply back... the message was blank?  I'll message you my email addy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

I can't see Manuel unless they are doing their due diligence. Depending what you get for Mallett in a trade, Manuel might not even be there at #59 and I doubt BB spends a pick that early on a QB who will sit on the bench for at least the next 3 years. Smith is a good possibilty that could be scouting. I can't see Watson either really. If you are looking to spend early on an OT then why send McDaniels and not Scar? Not to mention, from everything I hear they are perfectly happy giving the starting job to Cannon if they can't bring Vollmer back, which is why they are taking a hard stance with Vollmer. They already have a replacement plan in place

" I doubt BB spends a pick that early on a QB who will sit on the bench for at least the next 3 years"

he shouldnt

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Hey Man. I'm glad you mentioned Rodney Smith. I remember watching him a few times last year and thinking that he looked pretty good.  Agree he could be a late-rounder w/ nice upside.

Howdy... yeah, could see them having late round interest... same with Rutgers WR Mark Harrison, who looks like an upside kid with some size (6-3 231), speed kid with decent COD for his size (4.46 40, 6.99 3C).  BB also has a recent history with bringing in Rutgers kids (DMC/Francis, among others).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

we havce had the same perspective for this. since before seaason ended i felt we needed tlaib and another 1-2 cb.  still soome out there in fa. hope we pull the trigger adn on abraham

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Eng,

"sn't our best shot to acquire another FA cb?"

when considering our other needs, the answer is yes. wihout the wr needs and pass rush, sure draft one

Sections
Shortcuts