***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

I'm interested to see if BB will target Army QB Trent Steelman on Day 3-URFA as an Edelman type QB convert (same goes for Denard Robinson)... Both Steelman and Robinson are tough, productive kids that dont' have the skill set to remain as QB's at the NFL level, but have displayed the athleticism to potentially contribute on ST as they get more comfortable at WR.

Robinson has gamebreaking speed and ability in the open field, while Steelman has demonstrated a ton of versatility and willingness to do whatever he can to help the team (believe he was long snapping at the shrine game?).

You know BB loves these military kids, which is one of the big reasons that I've added Steelman as a late round option... his pro-day is Thursday.

UPDATE:

Looks like NE was supposed to be one of (4) teams with representation at Steelman's workout, though the NYJ appear to have the only identified representation... I'm sure they'll get a look at this kid at some point and should at the very least garner URFA interest if not Rd 7 interest.

http://blogs.hudsonvalley.com/west-point-army-football/2013/03/20/trent-steelman-pro-day/

"Nejmeh showed Steelman a couple of short routes he wanted him to run and said, “Perfect” after a couple of catches."

"Steelman’s 40-yard dash unofficial time of 4.65 seconds wasn’t what he expected. But, one Army coach had Steelman running at 4.52 seconds and another clocked him at 4.47.

Steelman owns some Army weight room records for quarterbacks and he didn’t disappoint lifting 225 pounds 16 times.

Steelman looked ripped. He said he was down to 200 pounds, about 10 pounds less than his playing weight."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Steelman has some quick sure feet but somewhat stiffer hips. Nice hands it looks like. Catches the ball away from the body and gets his hands up quickly. What's his commitment to Army? Is he free to go or does he have a 3/5yr commitment?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Steelman has some quick sure feet but somewhat stiffer hips. Nice hands it looks like. Catches the ball away from the body and gets his hands up quickly. What's his commitment to Army? Is he free to go or does he have a 3/5yr commitment?

Check out the link below:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2012/12/07/army-navy-game-nfl-five-year-commitment-relief/1747399/

Looks like there have some room to apply for early release after (2) years.

Could certainly cause him to go undrafted.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

QBs:  I think it is smart and good business to draft one.  Of course Mallett is NE's investment now.

Pittsburg may go get one:

http://steelblitz.com/pittsburgh-steelers-interest-in-tyler-bray-nothing-to-look-to-deep-into-or-is-it/2914/

Does anyone thing with our 5 picks we draft a QB or is it UDFA ? or none ?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

QBs:  I think it is smart and good business to draft one.  Of course Mallett is NE's investment now.

http://steelblitz.com/pittsburgh-steelers-interest-in-tyler-bray-nothing-to-look-to-deep-into-or-is-it/2914/

Personally I'm hoping they don't touch one with their Day 1 or 2 picks, but I could see maybe a Rd 7 kid like LTU's Colby Cameron.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

I'm with MB on this one. Day 3 seems like a good spot to get one. I'm pretty high on Jeff Tuel Wasington St, who I believe the Pats checked out, and Nathan Stanley SE Louisiana 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Updated Big 53 Board... new addition in red:

Rd 1

DT- Jesse Williams

DE/OLB- Tank Carradine

OG- Jonathan Cooper

CB- Xavier Rhodes

DT- Sylvester Williams

WR- DeAndre Hopkins

WR- Keenan Allen

WR- Tavon Austin

OT DJ Fluker

DT- John Hankins

Rd 1-2

S- Matt Elam

S- Jon Cyprien

Rd 2

CB- DJ Hayden

CB- Logan Ryan

CB- Johnthan Banks

CB- Jamar Taylor

CB- Jordan Poyer

DE/OLB- Margus Hunt

WR- Quinton Patton

DT- John Jenkins

Rd 2-3

WR- Stedman Bailey

CB- Darius Slay

WR- Ryan Swope

WR- Da'Rick Rogers

S- DJ Swearinger

LB- Khaseem Greene

DT- Kwame Geathers

OL- Barrett Jones

OL- Brian Winters

OL- David Quessenberry

Rd 3

S- Shamarko Thomas

WR- Markus Wheaton

DE/OLB- Michael Buchanan

C/OG- Brian Schwenke

DE/OLB- Lavar Edwards

CB- Tyrann Mathieu

DE/OLB- Devin Taylor

Rd 4-7

WR/PR- Ace Sanders

S- Cooper Taylor

WR- Chris Harper

WR- Josh Boyce

S- Josh Evans

OT- Reid Fragel

S- Zeke Motta

DE/OLB- Cornelius Washington

OG- Jeff Baca

OL- Tanner Hawkinson

DL- Josh Boyd

WR- TJ Moe

RB- Spencer Ware

DL- Chris Jones

DL- Quinton Dial

DL- Kapron Lewis-Moore

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

So, to sum it up, an extra pick is worth more to me this year than grabbing Jenkins or sWilliams at the end of round 2....based on the way things stand today.

I doubt that either of those will be available at 59.

Trading out is easier said than done. The only teams I can imagine trying to move up from early 2nd to late first are the ones concerned that another team beats them to a QB they want.

Assuming PHI takes Geno. The teams that could remain QB-needy are...

JAX - I don't think they will look for a QB. Between Henne and Gannert, they probably feel they can wait another year before jumping into the draft again for a QB

ARI - Barring a trade happens elsewhere, has first dibs on any QB they want. They can stay where they are and feel comfortable that they will get their choice of QB

CLE - Does not have a 2nd rnd

NYJ - Probably won't be in a trade with NWE

BUF - Probably won't e in a trade with NWE

OAK - Does not have a 2nd

Moreover, STL's and MIN's second first rounders are probably more attractive to anyone considering moving up to the first round.

A trade could still happen, but perhaps for a 2013 third + 2014 first. Potential partners are CLE and OAK.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

no love for marcus trufant, MB?

Desmond? 

Brother Marcus is also available via FA

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Guess I prefer Rhodes in the Rd 1 range.  Kid can cover and has some swagger, but I'm not too high on his ability vs the run, or at least from what I've seen on tape.  He doesn't shy away from contact, but he takes on ballcarriers a bit too high and I just think there are others that are better in this area.

Would I be against drafting him?  Definitely not.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

So, to sum it up, an extra pick is worth more to me this year than grabbing Jenkins or sWilliams at the end of round 2....based on the way things stand today.

I doubt that either of those will be available at 59.

Trading out is easier said than done. The only teams I can imagine trying to move up from early 2nd to late first are the ones concerned that another team beats them to a QB they want.

Assuming PHI takes Geno. The teams that could remain QB-needy are...

JAX - I don't think they will look for a QB. Between Henne and Gannert, they probably feel they can wait another year before jumping into the draft again for a QB

ARI - Barring a trade happens elsewhere, has first dibs on any QB they want. They can stay where they are and feel comfortable that they will get their choice of QB

CLE - Does not have a 2nd rnd

NYJ - Probably won't be in a trade with NWE

BUF - Probably won't e in a trade with NWE

OAK - Does not have a 2nd

Moreover, STL's and MIN's second first rounders are probably more attractive to anyone considering moving up to the first round.

A trade could still happen, but perhaps for a 2013 third + 2014 first. Potential partners are CLE and OAK.

Sorry...meant to say with first selection in round 2...the pick we acquire for trading our first. 

Teams trade up all the time for non- qb's. heck, we did it twice last year. I could see a team do it for one of the dt's, Austin or if a de falls.

depends what bb wants and is willing to take. At this point,mi would take a high second and a third or high fourth to do it , 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Guess I prefer Rhodes in the Rd 1 range.  Kid can cover and has some swagger, but I'm not too high on his ability vs the run, or at least from what I've seen on tape.  He doesn't shy away from contact, but he takes on ballcarriers a bit too high and I just think there are others that are better in this area.

nooooowww your'ee on rhodes..........? :)

didnt likey when i first brought the rhodes love?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

Haha, I think you have the wrong guy... I don't ever remember being opposed to Rhodes... heck I don't remember anyone being opposed to Rhodes on here.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

So, NE was at Florida States pro-day and a bigger note that McDaniels was there. Which O player could McDaniels be scouting? I'd imagine it's not OL because they'd be sending Scar. Reliford maybe as a UDFA? 

Of course they could be scouting D players as they have Carradine, Werner, Jenkins, Rhodes but I have a feeling it's one of the smaller names we have seen yet and why send McDaniels to scout D?

Another interesting to note was reports Rhodes was having issues with the wet field conditions. If he has issues with wet field conditions I'd hate to imagine what he'd do in NE's condition. That's a big red flag for me. That he could compensate for the adverse field conditions

BTW came across this, a confirmed list of games the Pats visited:

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013-nfl-draft-patriots-scouting-targets

My guess is he was taking a look at the below:

QB EJ Manuel (had this kid on my Big 53 Board for a short time, but he's getting talked up like a Top 50-64 kid, not sure BB is looking to go that high on a QB yet, but his big and skilled), WR Rodney Smith (this kid is 6-5 I believe, surprised Bred isn't on him yet, he loves him some tall WR's... could be a late round type kid with some upside), OT Menelik Watson (British, former basketball player with one year of D1 experience, heck I'm not sure he's played more than a year or two of football and some publications have him as a Rd 1 kid... though I think more Day 2).

Mayock said teams are salivating over the chance to coach up Watson.  He said Watson showed amazing movement skills and while raw, could develop into a top OT in the league.  Given our situation with Vollmer, proved by the signing of Svitek and our reported interest in Winston, it's clear the Pats are interested in the OT position.  Watson is moving up board.  CBS has him at 63 right now.

I could see us going WR, OT, WR with our top 3 picks.  Or DT, OT, WR.

I keep hearing that they love Cannon and Svitek is more of a backup swing guy (one reason they wouldn't mind letting Vollmer leave). But, even if they do go OT in the draft I can't see them not taking a CB. There are too many reasons for them not to take one:

• Talib is on a one year deal with no certainty he'll be back. Getting a young player who can develop over a year in a nickel position and take over next year makes sense (ala Solder with Light)
    • Arrington is almost purely an inside guy. Arrington has shown he can't handle outside duties on a regular basis so having him as the main outside backup right now would not make much sense
    • McCourty is a starting FS. I've heard the logic "you can always move McCourty back to CB" and while true McCourty is a much better FS than CB so you would essentially be weakening two positions because of lack of depth
    • Talib's never completed a full season. Going back to Arringtons not an outside guy point, Talib has yet to finish a 16 game season so at some point he's more then likely going to miss time. Right now if you keep Arrington on the inside that leaves Ras, Cole as the replacements?
    • Cole is a STer only. The few chances he had to play CB proved this point
    • Ras has less of a chance to complete a season then Talib does. Ras I wouldn't even consider a backup at this point because he's to unreliable to be a backup. If he can last more then 3/4 of a season that would be icing

Right now as I see it we have Talib, Arrington, and Dennard. I don't even consider Ras and Cole as reliable CBs at this point. We need another CB and imo it would be best to grab a young CB with high upside in the draft and cross our fingers. 

Svitek is nothing more than a warm body in training camp.  Odds are he doesn't make the team.  I agree Cannon seems to be liked at RT.  However, there is no back up at LT.  Svitek is not a legit backup.  So, we have no back up at LT if Vollmer leaves which is appearing more likely the longer this goes.

I too would love to add a top CB in the draft.  If Trufant makes it to 29, he would certainly be a player of interest and could be our pick depending who else is there.  However, after Milliner, Rhodes and Trufant, I see a fairly big drop off in talent.  This isn't to say we couldn't target a Poyer, Slay or Alford type with our 2nd but let's say we go a completely different direction with 29.  Let's say we draft a DT for example.  Let's say Vollmer is gone.  Then when our 2nd round pick comes up and you have one of these 2nd tier corners on the board and Armstead, Long and/or Watson on the board, wouldn't you rather take a LT back up vs. a back up CB?  I would.

I would rather move DMC back to corner back fill for him at FS then I would moving Mankins to LT if Solder gets hurt or putting a Svitek in there.  Keeping Brady upright is of utmost importance.  OL shuffle, especially at LT is more worrisome to me then DB suffle.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to APpats21's comment:

jj - I don't see Bolden making it through camp. After the suspension his performance decreased, his playing time took a major hit, and he just didn't look like the same runner to me (not the same burst or power). If PEDs were a reason for his performance early in the season and he no longer has them then they might be looking for a short yardage replacement. Though Rouse confuses me. He's to small to be a FB and to slow to be anything more then a 1-5yrd guy (think BJGE when he was here).

He took Adderal. That isnt steriods. It wont affect him like that.

that's what every player says includig Cunningham, Spikes, and Talib. What's with all these players taking ADHD medication? But it seems everytime a player tests positive it's because of Adderal, go figure. You would think with dozens of players a year all testing positive for the same ADHD drug over and over again they would check with their well paid team doctors if it's ok or call the free hotline and services the NFL has setup to check common medications used to treat things like ADHD.

Since the NFL doesn't release what they actually tested positive for we won't actually ever know.  All I can go by is what the eye test says and the eye test says he lost that explosive step and couldn't shake that first hit like he did before he was caught 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Svitek is nothing more than a warm body in training camp.  Odds are he doesn't make the team.  I agree Cannon seems to be liked at RT.  However, there is no back up at LT.  Svitek is not a legit backup.  So, we have no back up at LT if Vollmer leaves which is appearing more likely the longer this goes.

I too would love to add a top CB in the draft.  If Trufant makes it to 29, he would certainly be a player of interest and could be our pick depending who else is there.  However, after Milliner, Rhodes and Trufant, I see a fairly big drop off in talent.  This isn't to say we couldn't target a Poyer, Slay or Alford type with our 2nd but let's say we go a completely different direction with 29.  Let's say we draft a DT for example.  Let's say Vollmer is gone.  Then when our 2nd round pick comes up and you have one of these 2nd tier corners on the board and Armstead, Long and/or Watson on the board, wouldn't you rather take a LT back up vs. a back up CB?  I would.

I would rather move DMC back to corner back fill for him at FS then I would moving Mankins to LT if Solder gets hurt or putting a Svitek in there.  Keeping Brady upright is of utmost importance.  OL shuffle, especially at LT is more worrisome to me then DB suffle.

Not sure you are giving Svitek enough credit. He was a starting T for a playoff team before he was injured

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

jj - I don't see Bolden making it through camp. After the suspension his performance decreased, his playing time took a major hit, and he just didn't look like the same runner to me (not the same burst or power). If PEDs were a reason for his performance early in the season and he no longer has them then they might be looking for a short yardage replacement. Though Rouse confuses me. He's to small to be a FB and to slow to be anything more then a 1-5yrd guy (think BJGE when he was here).

that's what every player says includig Cunningham, Spikes, and Talib. What's with all these players taking ADHD medication? But it seems everytime a player tests positive it's because of Adderal, go figure. You would think with dozens of players a year all testing positive for the same ADHD drug over and over again they would check with their well paid team doctors if it's ok or call the free hotline and services the NFL has setup to check common medications used to treat things like ADHD.

Since the NFL doesn't release what they actually tested positive for we won't actually ever know.  All I can go by is what the eye test says and the eye test says he lost that explosive step and couldn't shake that first hit like he did before he was caught 

Brandon Bolden is a fine back and prediction that you will see plenty of burst and yards from him this season - especially if Ridley keeps fumbling.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

agreed we dont know. however adderal has a stimulant affect on many liek beeing hopped up on greenies or other, so it is possible many players are takng it for that affect. now if they lose 30 lbs too......

by the way, ive posted several times over the years, anyone who has a "good" trainer or dr 

skilled with the top ped's, will be able to assist their client in not getting detected unless they are careless. have had many friends ive spoken wiht on this, including a conversation i had a week or so ago with a top mma fighter.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to SilverSun's comment:

Brandon Bolden is a fine back and prediction that you will see plenty of burst and yards from him this season - especially if Ridley keeps fumbling.

i feel similarly minus the ridley fumbling part. liek the year before, bb jsu tneed sto use him adn use him (bolden) appropriately.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Not sure you are giving Svitek enough credit. He was a starting T for a playoff team before he was injured

agreed and moving dmc back to corner woudl be a disaster. id rather trade him than do that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

Haha, I think you have the wrong guy... I don't ever remember being opposed to Rhodes... heck I don't remember anyone being opposed to Rhodes on here.

well, before i began talking him as a first round pat pick, no one was discussing him. 

when i did, those that reponded were lukewarm at best.

wish we could go back to thread like we used to (in a search. it would take much more effort to look than its worth wihtout that). a lot changes with time.

eventually it becomes like a think tank and over time a group mind thing often comes about (like a group intelligence thinking in one brain). yes er still have differences in the end, but weve all been "shaped" or affected by one another. :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

Recent trends-

Moving up in most mock drafts-

DE Dion Jordan

DT Sharif Floyd 

OT Lane Johnson

DE Ezekiel Ansah

OG Jonathan Cooper

Moving down in most mocks-

DT Star Lotulelei

WR Keenan Allen

DE Damontre Moore

DT Johnathan Hankins

The guys moving up will most likely be long gone before the Pats pick at #29, along with DT Lotulelei.  But WR Allen, DE Moore, and DT Hankins should be available.  Would the Pats be interested in picking any of these guys (who were once seen as top 20 prospects only 2 months ago)?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to Army2LT's comment:

Recent trends-

Moving up in most mock drafts-

DE Dion Jordan

DT Sharif Floyd 

OT Lane Johnson

DE Ezekiel Ansah

OG Jonathan Cooper

Moving down in most mocks-

DT Star Lotulelei

WR Keenan Allen

DE Damontre Moore

DT Johnathan Hankins

The guys moving up will most likely be long gone before the Pats pick at #29, along with DT Lotulelei.  But WR Allen, DE Moore, and DT Hankins should be available.  Would the Pats be interested in picking any of these guys (who were once seen as top 20 prospects only 2 months ago)?

Star did really well at his Pro Day.  If he clears medically in April, he will be top 5-10 pick.