***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to Army2LT's comment:

Since no one wants to go, I conducted a trade between TB and NYJ.

TB receives- D. Revis

NYJ Receives-TB 1st rounder, 2nd rounder in 2013

an they pay the 12 mil cap hit for trading him?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Army2LT's comment:

I hate to say it but the Jets D Line is much improved.

actually i really hope it dont go down like this. 

dotn want werner, asah or jordan in our conference

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

1. Kansas City- OT Eric Fisher- MB

2. Jacksonville - DE Ezekiel Ansah - SeattlePat

3. Oakland - DT Sharrif Floyd - PatsEng

4.Philly-OTLuke JoeckelWazzu

5.Detroit- CB Dee Milliner - MB

6.Cleveland- OG Chance Warmack - Low

7.Arizona- OT Lane Johnson -jjd

8.Buffalo- QB Geno Smith - Champs

9. NYJ-  DE  Dion Jordan      Wazzu

10 Tennessee - DT Sheldon Richardson   SeattlePat

11.  San Diego- OG Jonathan Cooper    jjd

12. Miami- DE Bjoern Werner ArmyLT

13.NYJ- DT Star Lotulelei - Low

14.Carolina- DT Jonathan Hankins

15.New Orleans-

16. St Louis-

17.Pittsburgh-

18.Dallas-

19.NYG-

20.Chicago-

21.Cincy-

22.St Louis (From Wash)-

23.Minnesota-

24.Indy-

25.Minnesota (from SEA)-

26.Green Bay-

27.Houston-

28. Denver-

29.New England-

30.Atlanta-

31.San Francisco-

32.Baltimore-

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

Hey Guys , what about Datone Jones in the first round?

hes a pass rsuh option i talked abtur about a month ago. potential

He is a versatile Defensive Lineman he can play DE and DT

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

DT? In college, sure. Who was the last 275 lb guy who played DT in the NFL?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Patriots take Matt Elam. 

Jets will take Tavon Austin. Rex Ryan has been envious of the Pats success at the slot position for far too long.  I know he is a D guy but he won't pass this up.  What better way to help the offense then by selecting Austin.  Great returner too!

Bills take Gino Smith.

Just my predictions.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

DT? In college, sure. Who was the last 275 lb guy who played DT in the NFL?

he can play DE on running downs and DT on passing downs.. similar to what we saw BB do with Jermaine Cunningham. 

How did that work out?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

can football draft threaders appreciate our differences (different thoughts and opinons)   :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to Faucetman's comment:

Svitek is nothing more than a warm body in training camp.  Odds are he doesn't make the team.  I agree Cannon seems to be liked at RT.  However, there is no back up at LT.  Svitek is not a legit backup.  So, we have no back up at LT if Vollmer leaves which is appearing more likely the longer this goes.

I too would love to add a top CB in the draft.  If Trufant makes it to 29, he would certainly be a player of interest and could be our pick depending who else is there.  However, after Milliner, Rhodes and Trufant, I see a fairly big drop off in talent.  This isn't to say we couldn't target a Poyer, Slay or Alford type with our 2nd but let's say we go a completely different direction with 29.  Let's say we draft a DT for example.  Let's say Vollmer is gone.  Then when our 2nd round pick comes up and you have one of these 2nd tier corners on the board and Armstead, Long and/or Watson on the board, wouldn't you rather take a LT back up vs. a back up CB?  I would.

I would rather move DMC back to corner back fill for him at FS then I would moving Mankins to LT if Solder gets hurt or putting a Svitek in there.  Keeping Brady upright is of utmost importance.  OL shuffle, especially at LT is more worrisome to me then DB suffle.

Not sure you are giving Svitek enough credit. He was a starting T for a playoff team before he was injured

The man was forced in as a starter 2 years ago replacing a struggling Sam Baker.  He started 10 games for Atlanta in 2011.  They were so impressed they let him go after he got hurt.  Before that he started just 6 games from 2005 to 2010.  He was out of football in 2008 and he missed all of 2012 due to injuries.  He's entering his 9th year (missing 2) and has just 16 career starts. That's 1.78 starts per year.

Like I said, if Vollmer is back, this cat doesn't make the team.  If Vollmer isn't back and Svitek makes the team, are we a better team?  NO!!

I'm getting really frustrated.  We are sitting on what, $18 to $20 million of cap space?  We're letting our guys go over pennies. There isn't a single player of ours who signed for big bucks elsewhere meaning we could have kept them.

Right now the top available WR is Edelman and the top OT is Vollmer and yet they are still on the street.  There are a number of DTs and pass rushers out there who could help us.  There are corners out there who are better options than Marquice Cole.  Give me a break.  I don't get it.

Our star WR corps has been completely dessimated; replaced by injury prone and unheralded players all of whom are lucky to be half as good and half as durable as the players they replaced.  To me the window is closing on Brady and we are nickel and diming ourselves out of great players, getting weaker to save cap space.  What are we going to do with this extra cap space, bank it for 2014?  I hope BB and Kraft are sitting on a master plan and spring it on us soon because this off season has been horrible so far.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

15.New Orleans- OLB- Jarvis Jones- MB

16. St Louis-

17.Pittsburgh-

18.Dallas-

19.NYG-

20.Chicago-

21.Cincy-

22.St Louis (From Wash)-

23.Minnesota-

24.Indy-

25.Minnesota (from SEA)-

26.Green Bay-

27.Houston-

28. Denver-

29.New England-

30.Atlanta-

31.San Francisco-

32.Baltimore-

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

Svitek is nothing more than a warm body in training camp.  Odds are he doesn't make the team.  I agree Cannon seems to be liked at RT.  However, there is no back up at LT.  Svitek is not a legit backup.  So, we have no back up at LT if Vollmer leaves which is appearing more likely the longer this goes.

I too would love to add a top CB in the draft.  If Trufant makes it to 29, he would certainly be a player of interest and could be our pick depending who else is there.  However, after Milliner, Rhodes and Trufant, I see a fairly big drop off in talent.  This isn't to say we couldn't target a Poyer, Slay or Alford type with our 2nd but let's say we go a completely different direction with 29.  Let's say we draft a DT for example.  Let's say Vollmer is gone.  Then when our 2nd round pick comes up and you have one of these 2nd tier corners on the board and Armstead, Long and/or Watson on the board, wouldn't you rather take a LT back up vs. a back up CB?  I would.

I would rather move DMC back to corner back fill for him at FS then I would moving Mankins to LT if Solder gets hurt or putting a Svitek in there.  Keeping Brady upright is of utmost importance.  OL shuffle, especially at LT is more worrisome to me then DB suffle.

Not sure you are giving Svitek enough credit. He was a starting T for a playoff team before he was injured

The man was forced in as a starter 2 years ago replacing a struggling Sam Baker.  He started 10 games for Atlanta in 2011.  They were so impressed they let him go after he got hurt.  Before that he started just 6 games from 2005 to 2010.  He was out of football in 2008 and he missed all of 2012 due to injuries.  He's entering his 9th year (missing 2) and has just 16 career starts. That's 1.78 starts per year.

Like I said, if Vollmer is back, this cat doesn't make the team.  If Vollmer isn't back and Svitek makes the team, are we a better team?  NO!!

I'm getting really frustrated.  We are sitting on what, $18 to $20 million of cap space?  We're letting our guys go over pennies. There isn't a single player of ours who signed for big bucks elsewhere meaning we could have kept them.

Right now the top available WR is Edelman and the top OT is Vollmer and yet they are still on the street.  There are a number of DTs and pass rushers out there who could help us.  There are corners out there who are better options than Marquice Cole.  Give me a break.  I don't get it.

Our star WR corps has been completely dessimated; replaced by injury prone and unheralded players all of whom are lucky to be half as good and half as durable as the players they replaced.  To me the window is closing on Brady and we are nickel and diming ourselves out of great players, getting weaker to save cap space.  What are we going to do with this extra cap space, bank it for 2014?  I hope BB and Kraft are sitting on a master plan and spring it on us soon because this off season has been horrible so far.   

Respectfully submit that Bedard recently wrote Pats have between 3 to 7 mil to spend. Can't blame BB for putting on the brakes.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

15.New Orleans- OLB- Jarvis Jones- MB

16. St Louis- FS - Kenny Vaccaro - Faucet

17.Pittsburgh-

18.Dallas-

19.NYG-

20.Chicago-

21.Cincy-

22.St Louis (From Wash)-

23.Minnesota-

24.Indy-

25.Minnesota (from SEA)-

26.Green Bay-

27.Houston-

28. Denver-

29.New England-

30.Atlanta-

31.San Francisco-

32.Baltimore-

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to teegee's comment:

Respectfully submit that Bedard recently wrote Pats have between 3 to 7 mil to spend. Can't blame BB for putting on the brakes.

How can that be?  They had $25MM when they restructured Brady, picked up another $4MM or so when they cut Lloyd.  Talib took $5MM and the other guys barely touched the cap.  I have to go look at this as it doesn't make sense to me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I almost went WR there with STL.  Can't believe Austin and Patterson are still on the board.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Patriots take Matt Elam. 

Jets will take Tavon Austin. Rex Ryan has been envious of the Pats success at the slot position for far too long.  I know he is a D guy but he won't pass this up.  What better way to help the offense then by selecting Austin.  Great returner too!

Bills take Gino Smith.

Just my predictions.

TFB12, what if NE takes Austin uses DA more to the outside and either double dips with another 3rd round WR or FA WR type.

..... I know Austin will be gone by then, they could still go with a one later maybe.  You never know.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Patriots take Matt Elam. 

Bills take Gino Smith.

Just my predictions.

TFB12, what if NE takes Austin uses DA more to the outside and either double dips with another 3rd round WR or FA WR type.

I would love to see Austin make it to 29 but just don't think he makes it out of 20.  He's the most dynamic offensive player in this draft.  I can see STL or CHI taking him and he doesn't have a snow ball's chance of getting past MIN.

However, if we did get Austin, I'd probably line him up everywhere moving him and Amendola all over the place to keep the defense guessing and off balance.  If you're the nickel playing the slot you have Amendola one play then Austin the next giving you different looks all the time.  Could be a real nightmare to defend.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

I almost went WR there with STL.  Can't believe Austin and Patterson are still on the board.

STL 's at 16 would have been fine for either.  They have signed Long so OT is not a 1st round need. They need upgrades at both SS and FS.  They can get Cyprien at 22. Between the 4 safeties they have they totaled 7 tackles last year. Chicago will probably go interior OL but if the top guards are gone a WR is highly probable, so getting Austin or Patterson and 16 is not bad.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

www.patscap.com

Last updated on March 22, 2013 10:45 AM EDT

According to my figures the Patriots' 2013 cap figure is for $107,905,225 with 64 (63 active, 0 on Injured Reserve, 1 on Reserve/Non-NFI) players. I now believe that reserve players like Brian Waters do not count against the cap. I have the Patriots' 2013 dead money at $6,644,196. $108,798,268 + $6,644,196 = $114,549,421. The cap limit for the 2013 season is $123 million. The Patriots' adjusted cap number is $129,656,344. Therefore, I have the Patriots under their adjusted cap limit by about $15.2 million. On the 19th of March Greg Bedard tweeted that the Patriots are under their adjusted cap by $15,271,750 so my numbers are off by $164,827. I am working to reconcile that difference. I think that $150,000 of the difference is that I am counting Tony Fiametta in my numbers. Am not sure that Bedard's numbers include him. My numbers do NOT include the cap effects of the Nick Koutuvides and Marquise Cole signings.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Patriots take Matt Elam. 

Bills take Gino Smith.

Just my predictions.

I would love to see Austin make it to 29 but just don't think he makes it out of 20.  He's the most dynamic offensive player in this draft.  I can see STL or CHI taking him and he doesn't have a snow ball's chance of getting past MIN.

However, if we did get Austin, I'd probably line him up everywhere moving him and Amendola all over the place to keep the defense guessing and off balance.  If you're the nickel playing the slot you have Amendola one play then Austin the next giving you different looks all the time.  Could be a real nightmare to defend.

Hey Faucet,

As things stand today (i.e. current WR depth), WR has to be considered a very realistic possibility in Rd 1 (would be a BB first as we all know) or inside the Top 64.

I'd love to see them move on Hopkins/Allen/Austin, etc. in Rd 1/early Rd 2 or Bailey/Patton/Swope/Rogers/Wheaton or even Harper, etc. at a later point on Day 2.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Here's what I found out regarding our cap situation.  This is according to Mike Reiss' on Mar 12.

As for cap space, a league source indicates that the Patriots have $26 million available as things currently stand.

It looks like Lloyd had a $4.9MM cap charge for 2013 with $1.9MM of it being dead.  I'm a little unclear on this so let's say cutting Lloyd cleared $3MM so we had $29MM to play with before free agency.  On a side note, the Pats won a ruling concerning Jonathan Fanenne and could get back $2.5MM in cap space because he did not disclose an injury and the Pats should get back his signing bonus. But let's table that for now.

These are the 2013 cap charges that I found.  The top 51 contracts count and I'm assuming all of these count. 

Hoomanawanui - $1.323MM

Danny Amendola - $3.5MM

Donald Jones - $1.19MM

Leon Washington - $1.2MM

Adrian Wilson - $1.33MM

Will Svitek - $1MM (?? estimate)

Aqib Talib - $5MM

Kyle Arrington - $2.62MM

Tony Fiametta - $1MM (??Reactived, don't have his number)

Marquice Cole - $1MM (?? I don't have his number but if it's more than $1MM someone should be fired)

I came up with $19.162MM spent leaving us $9.8MM to spend, $12.3MM if we get the Fanenne money back.

Notes:

Jones has no guaranteed money so if cut, his full cap charge comes off.

Svitek has only $375K guaranteed.

Hoomanawanui has yet to sign his RFA tender.

We have 64 players under contract at the moment.  Only the top 51 contracts count against the cap.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

www.patscap.com

Last updated on March 22, 2013 10:45 AM EDT

According to my figures the Patriots' 2013 cap figure is for $107,905,225 with 64 (63 active, 0 on Injured Reserve, 1 on Reserve/Non-NFI) players. I now believe that reserve players like Brian Waters do not count against the cap. I have the Patriots' 2013 dead money at $6,644,196. $108,798,268 + $6,644,196 = $114,549,421. The cap limit for the 2013 season is $123 million. The Patriots' adjusted cap number is $129,656,344. Therefore, I have the Patriots under their adjusted cap limit by about $15.2 million. On the 19th of March Greg Bedard tweeted that the Patriots are under their adjusted cap by $15,271,750 so my numbers are off by $164,827. I am working to reconcile that difference. I think that $150,000 of the difference is that I am counting Tony Fiametta in my numbers. Am not sure that Bedard's numbers include him. My numbers do NOT include the cap effects of the Nick Koutuvides and Marquise Cole signings.

Didn't see your post as I was working on mine.  Your numbers are probably better because mine include a lot of $1MM range contacts which might be out of the top 51.  I certainly like your $15MM number a lot better.  Point is we have room to add Edelman, Vollmer, one of the veteran F/A pass rushers and sign our top 3 picks.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Patriots take Matt Elam. 

Bills take Gino Smith.

Just my predictions.

Hey Faucet,

As things stand today (i.e. current WR depth), WR has to be considered a very realistic possibility in Rd 1 (would be a BB first as we all know) or inside the Top 64.

I'd love to see them move on Hopkins/Allen/Austin, etc. in Rd 1/early Rd 2 or Bailey/Patton/Swope/Rogers/Wheaton or even Harper, etc. at a later point on Day 2.

It is certainly a strong possibility.  If we make some more moves in F/A such as Vollmer, Sedrick Ellis, Dummervil, add another CB.  We could draft 3 WRs and that would be okay with me.