***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

I would have no problem with Manti on the team. Its the players with 2 or 3 strikes who can't seem to avoid trouble that I worry about.

Based on his play against Alabama, I think it was just a bad game for him as it was for the rest of the team. I see him having a good NFL career

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'm as big an ND fan as any, though I'm also fairly objective and it was clear to me that ND was dominated at the LOS in the NC game... tough to fault Te'o for a single game performance when he's played well againt plenty of other good teams (Oklahoma/Stanford/Michigan/USC, etc.) for (4) years... not to mention that Alabama makes most teams/players look bad...

The problem is, some mocks had Te'o as a top 5 player, which set an incorrect expectation as I don't think he's that level of player... I do think he's a Rd 1 talent, but prob closer to Top 25, than Top 5... I also think he plays faster than his 40 time.

Do I think BB takes him is he's available at 29?  I don't.

Do I think he's off the board somewhere in the Top 40, with Rd 1 potential (i.e. Baltimore as Ray Ray's successor)?  I do.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

I'm as big an ND fan as any, though I'm also fairly objective and it was clear to me that ND was dominated at the LOS in the NC game... tough to fault Te'o for a single game performance when he's played well againt plenty of other good teams (Oklahoma/Stanford/Michigan/USC, etc.) for (4) years... not to mention that Alabama makes most teams/players look bad...

The problem is, some mocks had Te'o as a top 5 player, which set an incorrect expectation as I don't think he's that level of player... I do think he's a Rd 1 talent, but prob closer to Top 25, than Top 5... I also think he plays faster than his 40 time.

Do I think he's off the board somewhere in the Top 40, with Rd 1 potential (i.e. Baltimore as Ray Ray's successor)?  I do.

+1 I could see Baltimore taking him at 32

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:

Not to mention they also lost Ellerbe, so Manti at 32 in a class that's relatively shallow at the ILB position would be a very good choice by Ozzie, IMO.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to Army2LT's comment:

According to our mock draft, some of the names available at #29 were-

DE Cornellius Carradine

DE Datone Jones

DE Damontre Moore

OT D.J. Fluker

LB Manti Te'o

SS Matt Elam

CB Jonathan Banks

DE Alex Okafor

Not a bad list of players to choose from.

Boy if that list is on the board, I think I would take Fluker given the current situation as it stands today.  Fluker could actually be an upgrade to Vollmer and come a lot cheaper meaning we can spend our cap on other positions.

we do need o line improvement seriously. but not more than a pass rush, cb coverage all year, and big wideout threat

Yes, my suggestion was to sign one of the F/A pass rushers.  My first choice would be Abraham on a cheap one year deal or Dummervil on perhaps a 3 year deal then we draft Fluker from that list and let Vollmer walk.  Vollmer's back worries me and that is perhaps why he isn't signed yet. We then draft Hunt if he's still hanging around at 59 and a WR at 91.  If Hunt is gone we double down on WR at 59 and 91.

I view OTs as a very important position, moreso than DE especially considering we do have our leading pass rusher in Ninkovich opposite Jones right now.  Sure I would love to upgrade him and Abraham would do that for a year.  Fluker is just an absolute beast in the run game and would be an excellent RT.  I bet you could play him at OG too.  He has the nasties that Cannon lacks.

Faucet,

If Fluker is there that is excellent selection, but what if NE thinks Cannon can start. We have Cannon, Zusevics and Svitek on the roster.  Signing Vollmer would be ideal; however if we draft a future tackle I think they would come from the 2nd rd or later.  Some say Watson could be a late 1st round pick. The 3rd round OTs are more OG. NE worked out Aboushi. Reports say he is not quick enough and will need to move inside.  NE needs OG depth.  We could go in that direction. The guy that intrigues me is Faulk from LSU.  HE is injured but was considered before the college season the #1 tackle.  If you get him in 3rd rd, that would be good value.   The later round guys good would need some time.  Williams’ father played for the Patriots and he grew up in Mass. BC is OL factory. Cleary did well at his pro day. These are all projections so nothing is written stone.  The table below is just some of players I have been following I am sure there are others.

Name                  POS            School                      Yr           Ht           Wt     Proj

Terron Armstead    OT           Arkansas-Pine Bluff     Sr           6'5"        306        2

Kyle Long              OT           Oregon                       Sr          6'6"        313        2

Menelik Watson      OT           Florida State               Jr           6'5"        310        2

Dallas Thomas       OT/OG      Tennessee                  rSr         6'5"        306        3

David Bakhtiari      OT/OG      Colorado                    rJr          6'4"        299        3

Oday Aboushi        OT/OG      Virginia                      Sr           6'5"        308        3

Chris Faulk            OT            LSU                           rJr          6'5"        331        3

Brennan Williams   OT            North Carolina            Sr           6'5"        318        5

Ricky Wagner        OT/OG       Wisconsin                  rSr          6'6"        308        5

Luke Marquardt     OT             Azusa Pacific              Sr           6'8"        315      7-FA

Emmett Cleary      OT             Boston College           rSr          6'7"        316      7-FA

Nick Becton          OT             Virginia Tech              rSr          6'5"        323      7-FA

John Wetzel          OT             Boston College           Sr           6'7"        315    UDFA

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

DE Cornellius Carradine

DE Datone Jones

DE Damontre Moore

OT D.J. Fluker

LB Manti Te'o

SS Matt Elam

CB Jonathan Banks

DE Alex Okafor

Boy if that list is on the board, I think I would take Fluker given the current situation as it stands today.  Fluker could actually be an upgrade to Vollmer and come a lot cheaper meaning we can spend our cap on other positions.

we do need o line improvement seriously. but not more than a pass rush, cb coverage all year, and big wideout threat

Yes, my suggestion was to sign one of the F/A pass rushers.  My first choice would be Abraham on a cheap one year deal or Dummervil on perhaps a 3 year deal then we draft Fluker from that list and let Vollmer walk.  Vollmer's back worries me and that is perhaps why he isn't signed yet. We then draft Hunt if he's still hanging around at 59 and a WR at 91.  If Hunt is gone we double down on WR at 59 and 91.

I view OTs as a very important position, moreso than DE especially considering we do have our leading pass rusher in Ninkovich opposite Jones right now.  Sure I would love to upgrade him and Abraham would do that for a year.  Fluker is just an absolute beast in the run game and would be an excellent RT.  I bet you could play him at OG too.  He has the nasties that Cannon lacks.

Faucet,

If Fluker is there that is excellent selection, but what if NE thinks Cannon can start. We have Cannon, Zusevics and Svitek on the roster.  Signing Vollmer would be ideal; however if we draft a future tackle I think they would come from the 2nd rd or later.  Some say Watson could be a late 1st round pick. The 3rd round OTs are more OG. NE worked out Aboushi. Reports say he is not quick enough and will need to move inside.  NE needs OG depth.  We could go in that direction. The guy that intrigues me is Faulk from LSU.  HE is injured but was considered before the college season the #1 tackle.  If you get him in 3rd rd, that would be good value.   The later round guys good would need some time.  Williams’ father played for the Patriots and he grew up in Mass. BC is OL factory. Cleary did well at his pro day. These are all projections so nothing is written stone.  The table below is just some of players I have been following I am sure there are others.

Name                                 POS                       School                                 Yr           Ht           Wt          Proj

Terron Armstead              OT                         Arkansas-Pine Bluff          Sr            6'5"        306        2

Kyle Long                            OT                         Oregon                              Sr            6'6"        313        2

Menelik Watson               OT                         Florida State                      Jr            6'5"        310        2

Dallas Thomas                   OT/OG                 Tennessee                          rSr          6'5"        306        3

David Bakhtiari                  OT/OG                 Colorado                            rJr           6'4"        299        3

Oday Aboushi                    OT/OG                 Virginia                              Sr            6'5"        308        3

Chris Faulk                          OT                         LSU                                      rJr           6'5"        331        3

Brennan Williams             OT                         North Carolina                  Sr            6'5"        318        5

Ricky Wagner                    OT/OG                 Wisconsin                           rSr          6'6"        308        5

Luke Marquardt                OT                         Azusa Pacific                      Sr            6'8"        315        7-FA

Emmett Cleary                  OT                         Boston College                 rSr          6'7"        316        7-FA

Nick Becton                       OT                         Virginia Tech                      rSr          6'5"        323        7-FA

John Wetzel                       OT                         Boston College                 Sr            6'7"        315        UDFA

Good call on Faulk, I had forgotten about him.

Cleary is intriguing too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

DE Cornellius Carradine

DE Datone Jones

DE Damontre Moore

OT D.J. Fluker

LB Manti Te'o

SS Matt Elam

CB Jonathan Banks

DE Alex Okafor

Faucet,

Name                                 POS                       School                                 Yr           Ht           Wt          Proj

Terron Armstead              OT                         Arkansas-Pine Bluff          Sr            6'5"        306        2

Kyle Long                            OT                         Oregon                              Sr            6'6"        313        2

Menelik Watson               OT                         Florida State                      Jr            6'5"        310        2

Dallas Thomas                   OT/OG                 Tennessee                          rSr          6'5"        306        3

David Bakhtiari                  OT/OG                 Colorado                            rJr           6'4"        299        3

Oday Aboushi                    OT/OG                 Virginia                              Sr            6'5"        308        3

Chris Faulk                          OT                         LSU                                      rJr           6'5"        331        3

Brennan Williams             OT                         North Carolina                  Sr            6'5"        318        5

Ricky Wagner                    OT/OG                 Wisconsin                           rSr          6'6"        308        5

Luke Marquardt                OT                         Azusa Pacific                      Sr            6'8"        315        7-FA

Emmett Cleary                  OT                         Boston College                 rSr          6'7"        316        7-FA

Nick Becton                       OT                         Virginia Tech                      rSr          6'5"        323        7-FA

John Wetzel                       OT                         Boston College                 Sr            6'7"        315        UDFA

Good info! Its nice to hear the Pats atleast worked out Aboushi cuz I like this kid. I don't think he's a rookie starter but someone who can learn from Dante and provide depth his first year or 2. I'd be more comfortable with him at RT then the left(which is where he played last year) for the time being. He doesn't have the size they normally look for in guards but does for the tackle position. The thing I like most about him is he loves to hit and goes to the whistle. I saw his QB throw an interception last year and he had a chance to tackle the DB returning the pick but he was too busy roughing up the defender he was blocking that I'm not sure he even knew what was happening haha

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Not to mention they also lost Ellerbe, so Manti at 32 in a class that's relatively shallow at the ILB position would be a very good choice by Ozzie, IMO.

Even though the Pats have other needs, It'd be funny if they stole him at 29 from Baltimore like they did with Hightower and Gronk

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Good news, Looks like the Pats and Vollmer just reached a deal

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/9091664/new-england-patriots-agree-deal-keep-sebastian-vollmer-source

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Awesome.  Huge signing!  Looks like OT may not be a huge need after all.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Glad to have Vollmer back... Can def remove Fluker or OT in general from the draft board.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Glad to have Vollmer back... Can def remove Fluker or OT in general from the draft board.

Agreed, still think we need an OG.  Any sleepers out there we haven't discussed?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Agreed, still think we need an OG.  Any sleepers out there we haven't discussed?

Below are a few OG prospects that I like on Day 2/3:

Brian Winters- Kent State

Jeff Baca- UCLA

David Quessenberry- San Jose State

Brian Schwenke- Cal

David Bakhtiari- Colorado

Tanner Hawkinson- Kansas

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I concur wholeheartedly.  I think he goes to BAL at 32 ahead of Minter.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Below are a few OG prospects that I like on Day 2/3:

Brian Winters- Kent State

Jeff Baca- UCLA

David Quessenberry- San Jose State

Brian Schwenke- Cal

David Bakhtiari- Colorado

Tanner Hawkinson- Kansas

Good list. I'll have to check out Hawkinson.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

DE Cornellius Carradine

DE Datone Jones

DE Damontre Moore

OT D.J. Fluker

LB Manti Te'o

SS Matt Elam

CB Jonathan Banks

DE Alex Okafor

Faucet,

Name                  POS            School                      Yr           Ht           Wt     Proj

Terron Armstead    OT           Arkansas-Pine Bluff     Sr           6'5"        306        2

Kyle Long              OT           Oregon                       Sr          6'6"        313        2

Menelik Watson      OT           Florida State               Jr           6'5"        310        2

Dallas Thomas       OT/OG      Tennessee                  rSr         6'5"        306        3

David Bakhtiari      OT/OG      Colorado                    rJr          6'4"        299        3

Oday Aboushi        OT/OG      Virginia                      Sr           6'5"        308        3

Chris Faulk            OT            LSU                           rJr          6'5"        331        3

Brennan Williams   OT            North Carolina            Sr           6'5"        318        5

Ricky Wagner        OT/OG       Wisconsin                  rSr          6'6"        308        5

Luke Marquardt     OT             Azusa Pacific              Sr           6'8"        315      7-FA

Emmett Cleary      OT             Boston College           rSr          6'7"        316      7-FA

Nick Becton          OT             Virginia Tech              rSr          6'5"        323      7-FA

John Wetzel          OT             Boston College           Sr           6'7"        315    UDFA

With Vollmer back, this obviously changes everything.  We have a starting RT who can play LT at a high level.  We have Cannon who can play RT and maybe some RG.  Therefore, I think we are set outside.  However, we lost Thomas, who was a quality interior guy.  Mankins (31) and Connolly (30) missed 6 games and 2 games respectively last year.  Mankins is on a big contract.  I say that only because in the out years is when we've seen the Pats cut guys for cap reasons.  I certainly don't see that happening this year, or likely next, but I'm not privy enough about his contract just now to know when he'll be at risk. 

Wendell had a solid year as starting Center.  However, he isn't likely ever going to be elite, just steady.  McDonald appears ready to be be the top interior OL back up and Cannon the top outside back up.  We're set at OT assuming Svitek makes the club, although I see Zusevics challenging him.  We normally carry 9 to 10 OL on the 53 man roster.  Zusevics can stay on the Practice Squad so we are short one interior OL.

I don't see OL as a high priority now but it would not shock me if we picked up an interior type in the draft.

I think the Vollmer signing (still waiting to hear the cap impact) will allow us to hopefully go get Edelman then a pass rusher.  If we can get those two things done before the draft I will feel a lot better about our off season.  We'd have taken a bit of a hit on offense but on paper would have strengthened our D.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I was VERY close to putting him in the Mock at #32 because the Ravens lose both ILB's but felt Moore was just too much "value" to pass by based on where so many have him rated.

I certainly can see the Ravens taking Te'o.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

I think I might've asked before, but has anyone seen PJ Lonergan play? He played C this past year and G before in the past. Went up against alot of SEC competition (Williams, Jenkins) and I thought he did a decent job. I'd love to get him in RD 5-7

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

From Reiss:

With news today that the Patriots have agreed to terms on a contract with right tackle Sebastian Vollmer, as reported by colleague Field Yates, here is a breakdown of the team's offensive line personnel:

TACKLE
    Starters: Nate Solder (left), Sebastian Vollmer (right)
    Backups: Marcus Cannon (right), Will Svitek (left/right), Markus Zusevics (right)

GUARD
    Starters: Logan Mankins (left), Dan Connolly (right)
    Backup: Marcus Cannon (right), Nick McDonald (left/right)

CENTER
    Starter: Ryan Wendell
    Backup: Nick McDonald

QUICK-HIT THOUGHTS: The return of Sebastian Vollmer, coupled with last week's signing of free-agent swing tackle Will Svitek to a one-year contract, leads one to wonder if it could mean 2011 fifth-round draft choice Marcus Cannon gets more work at guard this year. Cannon, who was a top option to replace Vollmer at right tackle if Vollmer signed elsewhere, has taken reps at right guard in the past. ... The return of Vollmer (if it is indeed a four-year deal), coupled with starting left tackle Nate Solder being signed through 2015, would seem to make less likely that the Patriots select an offensive tackle in the first round of the draft. ... Overall, this is a well-stocked group. Adding some more depth on the interior is likely next on the team's to-do list -- Ryan Wendell, who was terrific at center last season, enters the final year of his contract in 2013 -- and that could come in the draft.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Waiting to hear Vollmer's cap charge.  I'm guessing he won't hit 2013 cap more than $4MM if it is a 4 year deal.  Therefore we should have $11MM in cap.  Hopefully we can get Edelman signed for about a $2MM cap hit.  Then we should have the money for a pass rusher and our draft picks still.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

From Reiss:

With news today that the Patriots have agreed to terms on a contract with right tackle Sebastian Vollmer, as reported by colleague Field Yates, here is a breakdown of the team's offensive line personnel:

TACKLE
    Backups: Marcus Cannon (right), Will Svitek (left/right), Markus Zusevics (right)

GUARD

CENTER

QUICK-HIT THOUGHTS: The return of Sebastian Vollmer, coupled with last week's signing of free-agent swing tackle Will Svitek to a one-year contract, leads one to wonder if it could mean 2011 fifth-round draft choice Marcus Cannon gets more work at guard this year. Cannon, who was a top option to replace Vollmer at right tackle if Vollmer signed elsewhere, has taken reps at right guard in the past. ... The return of Vollmer (if it is indeed a four-year deal), coupled with starting left tackle Nate Solder being signed through 2015, would seem to make less likely that the Patriots select an offensive tackle in the first round of the draft. ... Overall, this is a well-stocked group. Adding some more depth on the interior is likely next on the team's to-do list -- Ryan Wendell, who was terrific at center last season, enters the final year of his contract in 2013 -- and that could come in the draft.

This is great. I think Cannon is much better suited for G instead of T. If he starts over Connolly next year and Vollmer gets injured atleast they can bump him out to tacle and Connolly can play guard . I'm not sure I've ever seen a line with so much versatility before

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Make it happen, BB... I've already pre-ordered my Stedman jersey, haha.

EDIT: Can anyone see the pic?

What pic?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Forgive if this has been covered in the past.  But I'd like to get some opinions of us possibly taking Kevin Minter at 29 assuming we sign a pass rusher and Edelman.  The reason I ask is Spikes is entering the final year of his contract.  He has been stout against the run but a liability in coverage.  We all know Spikes is slow as molasses in straight line speed 5.15 - forty.  Minter ran a 4.81 forty.  This added speed would help him getting to the side lines vs. all of us seeing Spikes get beat to the outside.  Minter posted a 33 inch vert, tops among ILBs.  His 119 inches in the broad jump was 2nd best.  He has 32 inch arms which are long for his 6 foot height.

I realize Fletcher will be back but how effective will he be a year removed from an ACL?  Besides, he missed 6 games in 2011 with a thumb.  To me we need to be faster at LB.  I would actually rather draft a speedy OLB and move Hightower to his more natural MLB spot but drafting a more athletic and productive Minter may have some merit.  I'm not saying this would improve us more next year vs. another position such as CB or DT (replacing Love).  Spikes hasn't been all that durable.  He has just one sack, one INT and 11 PDEF in 3 years!!  Add that to his contract being up at the end of the year, the iffy durability of Fletcher and I wonder if BB might look to draft a highly touted MLB?

My big question is, in the opinions of those on here, would Minter be an upgrade to Spikes, especially in passing situations which we're in more than 57% of the time?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

From Reiss:

TACKLE

GUARD

CENTER

This is great. I think Cannon is much better suited for G instead of T. If he starts over Connolly next year and Vollmer gets injured atleast they can bump him out to tacle and Connolly can play guard . I'm not sure I've ever seen a line with so much versatility before

Or move Connolly back to Center and have Cannon take over at RG.  This gives us a bigger OL.

Sections
Shortcuts