***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

I do believe that the Pats interest in Mathieu is real. He's exactly the lower risk high reward player they target in the mid rounds. If ther get a 4th or 5th I wouldn't be shocked if they took him. To me this isn't a bluff

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

lol sounds like a confession.

To what?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I do believe that the Pats interest in Mathieu is real. He's exactly the lower risk high reward player they target in the mid rounds. If ther get a 4th or 5th I wouldn't be shocked if they took him. To me this isn't a bluff

yes this will his second interview with the Pats, he has some talent but I`m not sure if he can play outside, because his size

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

In response to Homecheese's comment:

I like Rogers in Rd 2 or 3, but if they pass on Stedman Bailey with this pick (assuming they don't touch a WR in Rd 1) I'm gonna have to call the local TV repair man to pull my buddy, his beer and anything else within reach, out of my Samsung plasma.

Hahaha You shouldn't throw anyones beer though man, thats just not cool. I don't think your buddy would be too happy when he gets pulled out of the plasma to find out you threw his beer as well

Haha, good point... I'll tell him to bring a few cans of soda then, but not tell him why... make sure he's drinking one when NE is on the clock.

OK MB I just took my first look at the potential WR draft choices and I only see three I like even a little bit. Patterson,Wheaton and Swope. I wouldn't mind if they took a flyer on Mellette from Elon as he dominated at the lower level kind of like a guy we almost drafted way back in the day named Rice. As for the other guys Swope could come in and be a nice slot receiver,Patterson has all the tangibles  but will he be able to block?That leads us to Wheaton the strongest of the top three guys as he all the talent though he doesn't have the big WR size at 5'11,but he does run well and he is strong for a little fella 22 reps @225.I don't have a clue whether the Patriots are looking at any or all of these guys. There will still be plenty of FA's on the sign me block!!!Who knows which way BB goes but if I'm him I don't waste a first on any of these guys. Draft a DT/DE and then chase down a CB or reverse the process.

Curious on the list of WR's that you reviewed?

Swope is also a very good blocker... I like Wheaton's skill set a lot... very good combo of speed/quicks... like both as Day 2 options.

The entire list of availible WR's for the 2013 draft. I read each profile and any scouting report positive or negative included with the profile. cbssports.com draft reports.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

yes this will his second interview with the Pats, he has some talent but I`m not sure if he can play outside, because his size

I am not sure playing him inside is a solution either, given the kind of TEs good throwing teams have.

Look at the 3 minute mark.

Based on this video, I actually like him more outside. I am not sure I like him overall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lPFC1lIJI8

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:

I like Rogers in Rd 2 or 3, but if they pass on Stedman Bailey with this pick (assuming they don't touch a WR in Rd 1) I'm gonna have to call the local TV repair man to pull my buddy, his beer and anything else within reach, out of my Samsung plasma.

Hahaha You shouldn't throw anyones beer though man, thats just not cool. I don't think your buddy would be too happy when he gets pulled out of the plasma to find out you threw his beer as well

Haha, good point... I'll tell him to bring a few cans of soda then, but not tell him why... make sure he's drinking one when NE is on the clock.

OK MB I just took my first look at the potential WR draft choices and I only see three I like even a little bit. Patterson,Wheaton and Swope. I wouldn't mind if they took a flyer on Mellette from Elon as he dominated at the lower level kind of like a guy we almost drafted way back in the day named Rice. As for the other guys Swope could come in and be a nice slot receiver,Patterson has all the tangibles  but will he be able to block?That leads us to Wheaton the strongest of the top three guys as he all the talent though he doesn't have the big WR size at 5'11,but he does run well and he is strong for a little fella 22 reps @225.I don't have a clue whether the Patriots are looking at any or all of these guys. There will still be plenty of FA's on the sign me block!!!Who knows which way BB goes but if I'm him I don't waste a first on any of these guys. Draft a DT/DE and then chase down a CB or reverse the process.

Curious on the list of WR's that you reviewed?

Swope is also a very good blocker... I like Wheaton's skill set a lot... very good combo of speed/quicks... like both as Day 2 options.

The entire list of availible WR's for the 2013 draft. I read each profile and any scouting report positive or negative included with the profile. cbssports.com draft reports.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend basing your opinion of a player on the strengths/weaknesses listed in a single draft publication... check out as many as you can on a specific player (from multiple publications)... I read a ton of them, but generally try to form my opinion by watching a kid in a game or on tape, where applicable.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

MB you receiving the emails?

By the way, I know you like TJ Moe as a late option WR. What do you think of Ryan Spadola in the same value?

Hey man, yeah got'm just haven't been able to action them yet.. hopefully get to it soon.

Spadola had very good triangle #'s at the combine and a good 40 time; I wish there was more tape available on him.  I do think he garners late round consideration and should at the very least be an URFA.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

On Mathieu...

given his return to sobriety and desire to turn over a new leaf, is he headed up in the draft, or do you think he is still a kid that could hanging around in round 3-5?...

i get why the pats may be interested in him, but have to agree with SP on this one. Would want a kid that could step in and play outside. 

Assuming Talib doesn't play all 16 games...do,we really want 2 starting cbs under 5'10" on the field? 

If its about value, I get it, and I would be interested in Mathieu if he could be had in round 4 or greater, AND, he isn't the pats only solution to cb depth...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Tyrann Mathieu to visit Foxboro... not unexpected.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/29/tyrann-mathieu-to-visit-new-england/

Anyone else laugh their darn azz off with this video?

As someone else mention on PFT. Can anyone imagine the volitile nature of trouble waiting to happen with Talib, Dennard, and honey badger hanging out?

Hahah, yeah that video is hilarious.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

By the way, I know you like TJ Moe as a late option WR. What do you think of Ryan Spadola in the same value?

Hey man, yeah got'm just haven't been able to action them yet.. hopefully get to it soon.

Spadola had very good triangle #'s at the combine and a good 40 time; I wish there was more tape available on him.  I do think he garners late round consideration and should at the very least be an URFA.

What about Jeremy Ebert who is already on the menu? Seem to remember he has very good quicks, and potentially the kind of skill set a tj moe may offer. Do you see him cracking the roster this year? What does or can he provide realistically?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

On Ebert...

Ebert showed his speed at his pro day running a 4.38 40 time, with a 4.15 short shuttle and 6.70 3 cone. All of those times are extremely solid for a WR. Ebert is 5’11 200 pounds. If you were looking for a return man, Ebert isn’t that. He only returned five kickoffs for 88 yards during his career......

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

What about Jeremy Ebert who is already on the menu? Seem to remember he has very good quicks, and potentially the kind of skill set a tj moe may offer. Do you see him cracking the roster this year? What does or can he provide realistically?

Sure hope Ebert shows more than he did last year... was kind of optimistic on him going into camp, but I think he got a late start and wasn't much of a factor in preseason.

I don't know if he makes the roster, but he does have the skill set that they seem to value in their WR/slot types so maybe they're hoping he develops into a cheaper option than Edelman... sans PR ability.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

mbeaulieu

I apologize for asking because I am sure you have already addressed this player but what are your thoughts on Justin Hunter? I know he is tall but seems on the slight size the question is does he have the skill set the pats are looking for? Based on what I have read he could go anywhere from the 2nd to 5th rnd which is a pretty big spread... 

No prob... yeah, long athletic kid that can elevate and has some RAC ability on the negative side, he has inconsistent hands and there are questions about how he'll fair vs. physical CB's... I wouldn't be pissed if they drafted him, but there are other WR's that I like better on Day 2.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

According to STATS ICE, West Virginia's Stedman Bailey made more "clutch receptions" in 2012 than any top draft-eligible receiver on a minimum of 100 targets.

"Clutch receptions" are defined as catches that went for a first down or touchdown. Scheme, quarterback play, and competition can affect stats like this, but it's still interesting that Bailey dominated the field with 72 "clutch" catches amongst 148 targets (48.6 percent). Next closest was Oregon State's Markus Wheaton, with 64 "clutch" catches on 141 passes his way (45.4 percent).     Source:  John Pollard Stats Mar 29 - 6:12 PM

Certainly shows up on tape... Stedman gets open, Stedman picks up a first down, Stedman gets open, Stedman catches touchdown... repeat, ha.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Interesting report this morning. Buf may reach and take Barkley at #8 is Geno is gone 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Below is my updated Big 53 Board, new additions highlighted in Red:

Rd 1

DT- Jesse Williams

DE/OLB- Tank Carradine

OG- Jonathan Cooper

DT- Sylvester Williams

WR- DeAndre Hopkins

WR- Keenan Allen

CB- Xavier Rhodes

WR- Tavon Austin

DT- John Hankins

Rd 1-2

WR- Stedman Bailey

S- Matt Elam

S- Jon Cyprien

Rd 2

CB- DJ Hayden

CB- Logan Ryan

CB- Johnthan Banks

CB- Jamar Taylor

WR- Quinton Patton

CB- Jordan Poyer

S- Eric Reid

DE/OLB- Margus Hunt

DT- John Jenkins

Rd 2-3

CB- Darius Slay

WR- Markus Wheaton

WR- Da'Rick Rogers

S- Shamarko Thomas

S- DJ Swearinger

Rd 3

WR- Ryan Swope

DE/OLB- Michael Buchanan

DE/OLB- Lavar Edwards

OL- Barrett Jones

OL- Brian Winters

OL- David Quessenberry

C/OG- Brian Schwenke

CB- Tyrann Mathieu

S- Keelan Johnson

DT- Kwame Geathers

DE/OLB- Devin Taylor

Rd 4-7

WR/PR- Ace Sanders

S- Cooper Taylor

WR- Chris Harper

WR- Josh Boyce

S- Josh Evans

OG- Jeff Baca

S- Zeke Motta

DE/OLB- Cornelius Washington

LB- AJ Klein

DL- Chris Jones

DL- Josh Boyd

WR- TJ Moe

RB- Spencer Ware

DL- Quinton Dial

DL- Kapron Lewis-Moore

OL- Tanner Hawkinson

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Interesting report this morning. Buf may reach and take Barkley at #8 is Geno is gone 

Yeah, that'd def be classified as a reach, ha... hopefully it happens.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

There would seem to be several WR's who could be available around our 1st rd pick and be productive #2 guys right away as rookies.

Keenan Allen

Justin Hunter

Tavon Austin (too much like Amendola?)

DeAndre Hopkins

Cordarelle Patterson

My issue with taking one of them is that it pushes the talent level at the other spot down a notch. There are so many DT's who will be available in the 25-40 range of the draft. Not obvious starters from day 1 guys, but players who will be in a mix with Love, Deaderick, Armstead, Francis and who should provide more pocket pressure than Love from day 1. By the time you get to the end of rd 2, those type of DT's are likely to be all gone.

This is why it makes more sense to get Emmanual Sanders for a 3rd, or come to a cheaper deal with Lloyd, then to draft a WR in rd 1. You know what you will get from one of those 2 guys next year, at the least we're talking 45-55 catches, moving the chains type smart route-running and 3-4 TD's as basically the #2 WR but #4 passing option for TB. Then you get really good line talent with one of your 1st two picks, and we know BB can draft those positions.

Any WR taken in rd 1 would likely be able to get those #'s... IF he can get up to speed with the playbook fast enough, AND would have more upside (at least over a 31-32 year old Lloyd) BUT would mean lesser talents drafted for other positions.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I also would be surprised if Belichick DIDN'T trade down.

If he moved back 6-12 spots, into the 35-40 range, he'd likely still be able to pick up a guy for the interior of the D-line that could make as big an impact as someone in the 22-32 range.

by doing this he could probably get a 4th and maybe even a 6th rd pick, which we obviously don't have this year.

In rd 2 we could get a WR like Robert Woods or Da'Rick Rogers, who both have some issues but should be better pro's than being taken at the end of round 2 would justify.

There will still be plenty of solid C/G prospects in rd 3 and 4, and I'd like to see them add a speedy LB who was used to playing all 3 positions in a 4-3 defense in college.

Rd's 6 and 7 can bring in some secondary guys to provide good camp battles

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

There would seem to be several WR's who could be available around our 1st rd pick and be productive #2 guys right away as rookies.

Keenan Allen

Justin Hunter

DeAndre Hopkins

Cordarelle Patterson

My issue with taking one of them is that it pushes the talent level at the other spot down a notch. There are so many DT's who will be available in the 25-40 range of the draft. Not obvious starters from day 1 guys, but players who will be in a mix with Love, Deaderick, Armstead, Francis and who should provide more pocket pressure than Love from day 1. By the time you get to the end of rd 2, those type of DT's are likely to be all gone.

This is why it makes more sense to get Emmanual Sanders for a 3rd, or come to a cheaper deal with Lloyd, then to draft a WR in rd 1. You know what you will get from one of those 2 guys next year, at the least we're talking 45-55 catches, moving the chains type smart route-running and 3-4 TD's as basically the #2 WR but #4 passing option for TB. Then you get really good line talent with one of your 1st two picks, and we know BB can draft those positions.

Any WR taken in rd 1 would likely be able to get those #'s... IF he can get up to speed with the playbook fast enough, AND would have more upside (at least over a 31-32 year old Lloyd) BUT would mean lesser talents drafted for other positions.

Many of us agree... DT is #1 on my board... as much as I'd love to snag a Hopkins or Allen, etc. in Rd 1, I prob couldn't pass on a Jesse Williams/Sylvester Williams/John Hankins, etc. at #29... if those DT's are gone, I would then turn to WR... or a bookend to Chandler in Tank Carradine... a surprise pick could be S Jon Cyprien.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Good attempt at breaking down the 2nd tier pass rushers. Question: do you take Moore if he is at 29?   Of course it depends who else is there, but I would take him. His film shows much more.

http://www.thesidelineview.com/columns/ncaa/metrics-breakdown-top-pass-rushers-tier-2

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

Keenan Allen

Justin Hunter

DeAndre Hopkins

Cordarelle Patterson

Many of us agree... DT is #1 on my board... as much as I'd love to snag a Hopkins or Allen, etc. in Rd 1, I prob couldn't pass on a Jesse Williams/Sylvester Williams/John Hankins, etc. at #29... if those DT's are gone, I would then turn to WR... or a bookend to Chandler in Tank Carradine... a surprise pick could be S Jon Cyprien.

Excellent post, sums up my feeling well. I would 100% prefer one of those 3 guys and then either Woods/Da'Rick in rd 2 or the 3rd rd pick given up for Sanders then to get Allen/Hopkins in rd 1 and not be able to solve the rush or DT issues in rd's 2 and 3.

I don't think there is an obvious star WR in this draft. 2-3 guys will eventually emerge as #1 wideouts I'm sure, but nobody can tell right now who they will be. There just seems to be 5-7 guys clumped together who could go 15th or 30th for all we know, and at the least should be a solid #2. Then there are another 5-7 guys who could go in the 45-75 range and easily emerge as a #2 as well or be complete busts.

I just don't trust Bill to find the right guy if its a WR. If he talks to Saban and we pick Jesse Williams I'd be 99.9% comfortable with that being a VERY smart move for this teams future.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

1rd Jesse Willians

2rd Da`Brick Rogers

3rd D.J Hayden

7rd Marquees Wilson

7rd OL or a K

What do u think guys?