Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

1rd Jesse Willians

2rd Da`Brick Rogers

3rd D.J Hayden

7rd Marquees Wilson

7rd OL or a K

What do u think guys?

For me I am a Kawaan short guy over williams, hankins, williams, or jenkins. He has more playing experience and "all around" production. He's better in solo tackles, total tackles, years played, sacks, passes defended(I am assuming batted balls), and forced fumbles.

Also for me I prefer Quinton Patton, and Stedman Bailey to Da'rick Rogers. but it's close. I think it will come down to just how closely rated some of the WR's and corner backs are to each other on the Patriots board and which guys they think will be there at the end of the 3rd. That will dictate what they do in the 2nd, imo.

If the Pats end up pulling the trigger on a Emmanuel Sanders for their 3rd because they do not believe any of the WR's we have talked about will be there then I think that is a wise decision. That is almost a 4th round pick.

There was a crazy run on WR's the year they got stuck with Taylor price and the same could happen to them again this year. They could avoid it by using the 2nd rounder on the WR they wish but then they might end up with the same type of run happening to the cornerbacks in the 3rd round and be stuck with what is left.

If you use the 3rd rounder as compensation for sanders then your 2nd for your choice of cornerback then you do not have to theorectically worry about a run at either position in either scenario.

That ofcourse is all based on the Pats signing a vet pass rusher in free agency still and looking DT/DL with the 1st rounder.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Interesting report this morning. Buf may reach and take Barkley at #8 is Geno is gone 

been saying all along 2-4 teams may reach for a qb in rd 1.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

1rd Jesse Willians

2rd Da`Brick Rogers

3rd D.J Hayden

7rd Marquees Wilson

7rd OL or a K

What do u think guys?

For me I am a Kawaan short guy over williams, hankins, williams, or jenkins. He has more playing experience and "all around" production. He's better in solo tackles, total tackles, years played, sacks, passes defended(I am assuming batted balls), and forced fumbles.

Also for me I prefer Quinton Patton, and Stedman Bailey to Da'rick Rogers. but it's close. I think it will come down to just how closely rated some of the WR's and corner backs are to each other on the Patriots board and which guys they think will be there at the end of the 3rd. That will dictate what they do in the 2nd, imo.

If the Pats end up pulling the trigger on a Emmanuel Sanders for their 3rd because they do not believe any of the WR's we have talked about will be there then I think that is a wise decision. That is almost a 4th round pick.

There was a crazy run on WR's the year they got stuck with Taylor price and the same could happen to them again this year. They could avoid it by using the 2nd rounder on the WR they wish but then they might end up with the same type of run happening to the cornerbacks in the 3rd round and be stuck with what is left.

If you use the 3rd rounder as compensation for sanders then your 2nd for your choice of cornerback then you do not have to theorectically worry about a run at either position in either scenario.

That ofcourse is all based on the Pats signing a vet pass rusher in free agency still and looking DT/DL with the 1st rounder.

i posted short as a possibility early on. got no likes. i still prefer a pass rushing de now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

1rd Jesse Willians

2rd Da`Brick Rogers

3rd D.J Hayden

7rd Marquees Wilson

7rd OL or a K

What do u think guys?

switch carradine for williams for me

:)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Homecheese's comment:

1.Kansas City- WR Stedman Bailey- MB (Think I just threw up)

2.Jacksonville - DE Alex Okafor -jjd

3.Detroit - CB Jamar Taylor - SeattlePat

4.Oakland- CB Logan Ryan- MB

5.Philadelphia- LB Kiko Alonso- HC

6.Cleveland- WR Justin Hunter- MB (not a huge Hunter guy, but presents good value here, would look good opposite Josh Gordon.)

7.Arizona- OL Justin Pugh- HC

8.Tennessee - S Shamarko Thomas - jjd

9.Buffalo- WR Markus Wheaton- MB

10.New York Jets - S Bacarri Rambo -jjd

11.Tampa Bay

12.San Francisco - from Carolina

13.New Orleans

14.San Diego

15.Miami

16.St. Louis

17.Pittsburgh

18.Dallas

19.New York Giants

20.Miami - from Chicago

21.Minnesota

22.Cincinnati

23.Washington

24.Indianapolis

25.Seattle

26.Green Bay

27.Houston

28.Denver

29.New England

30.Atlanta

31.San Francisco

32.Baltimore

33.Houston (compensatory)

34.Kansas City (compensatory)

35.Tennessee (compensatory)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

1rd Jesse Willians

2rd Da`Brick Rogers

3rd D.J Hayden

7rd Marquees Wilson

7rd OL or a K

What do u think guys?

he is a monster DE, imagine this guy with Chandler in the DL a real Nightmare!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

1rd Jesse Willians

2rd Da`Brick Rogers

3rd D.J Hayden

7rd Marquees Wilson

7rd OL or a K

What do u think guys?

good thoughts low

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

There would seem to be several WR's who could be available around our 1st rd pick and be productive #2 guys right away as rookies.

Keenan Allen

Justin Hunter

Tavon Austin (too much like Amendola?)

DeAndre Hopkins

Cordarelle Patterson

My issue with taking one of them is that it pushes the talent level at the other spot down a notch. There are so many DT's who will be available in the 25-40 range of the draft. Not obvious starters from day 1 guys, but players who will be in a mix with Love, Deaderick, Armstead, Francis and who should provide more pocket pressure than Love from day 1. By the time you get to the end of rd 2, those type of DT's are likely to be all gone.

This is why it makes more sense to get Emmanual Sanders for a 3rd, or come to a cheaper deal with Lloyd, then to draft a WR in rd 1. You know what you will get from one of those 2 guys next year, at the least we're talking 45-55 catches, moving the chains type smart route-running and 3-4 TD's as basically the #2 WR but #4 passing option for TB. Then you get really good line talent with one of your 1st two picks, and we know BB can draft those positions.

Any WR taken in rd 1 would likely be able to get those #'s... IF he can get up to speed with the playbook fast enough, AND would have more upside (at least over a 31-32 year old Lloyd) BUT would mean lesser talents drafted for other positions.

Many of us agree... DT is #1 on my board... as much as I'd love to snag a Hopkins or Allen, etc. in Rd 1, I prob couldn't pass on a Jesse Williams/Sylvester Williams/John Hankins, etc. at #29... if those DT's are gone, I would then turn to WR... or a bookend to Chandler in Tank Carradine... a surprise pick could be S Jon Cyprien.

What if we learn Dennard is going to jail for a year and Trufant is there.  Do we take the CB over one of those DTs?  Or would you prefer the DT in round 1 and take the Honey Badger at 59 then use our 3rd on Sanders?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

There would seem to be several WR's who could be available around our 1st rd pick and be productive #2 guys right away as rookies.

Keenan Allen

Justin Hunter

DeAndre Hopkins

Cordarelle Patterson

My issue with taking one of them is that it pushes the talent level at the other spot down a notch. There are so many DT's who will be available in the 25-40 range of the draft. Not obvious starters from day 1 guys, but players who will be in a mix with Love, Deaderick, Armstead, Francis and who should provide more pocket pressure than Love from day 1. By the time you get to the end of rd 2, those type of DT's are likely to be all gone.

This is why it makes more sense to get Emmanual Sanders for a 3rd, or come to a cheaper deal with Lloyd, then to draft a WR in rd 1. You know what you will get from one of those 2 guys next year, at the least we're talking 45-55 catches, moving the chains type smart route-running and 3-4 TD's as basically the #2 WR but #4 passing option for TB. Then you get really good line talent with one of your 1st two picks, and we know BB can draft those positions.

Any WR taken in rd 1 would likely be able to get those #'s... IF he can get up to speed with the playbook fast enough, AND would have more upside (at least over a 31-32 year old Lloyd) BUT would mean lesser talents drafted for other positions.

Many of us agree... DT is #1 on my board... as much as I'd love to snag a Hopkins or Allen, etc. in Rd 1, I prob couldn't pass on a Jesse Williams/Sylvester Williams/John Hankins, etc. at #29... if those DT's are gone, I would then turn to WR... or a bookend to Chandler in Tank Carradine... a surprise pick could be S Jon Cyprien.

What if we learn Dennard is going to jail for a year and Trufant is there.  Do we take the CB over one of those DTs?  Or would you prefer the DT in round 1 and take the Honey Badger at 59 then use our 3rd on Sanders?

They might do that even if Dennerd doesn't go to jail for any length of time.

For all we know the Patriots do not perceive the same issues with DT that we do and think the gap between who will be available at the end of the 1st and what they have on the roster is not worth the picks currency. On the other hand, they might think the gap between a CB they really like is a bigger upgrade to someone already on the roster in their minds.

Would love to really know each players responsibilites and what they are like day to day in practices, team meetings, the gym etc.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Either way would be fine by me.  Honestly, the only way we can screw this draft up is if we draft Manti Teo.  I'm more scared of NE taking him then I was them taking Tebow, and that is saying A LOT.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Keenan Allen

Justin Hunter

DeAndre Hopkins

Cordarelle Patterson

I'd rather grab one of the DT's then snag a CB at some point on Day 2, yeah... and hopefully it's DJ Hayden.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

1rd Jesse Willians

2rd Da`Brick Rogers

3rd D.J Hayden

7rd Marquees Wilson

7rd OL or a K

What do u think guys?

he is a monster DE, imagine this guy with Chandler in the DL a real Nightmare!

thats what im looking for.

ansah rose up from round to be prejected in first 5 or 10 picks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Keenan Allen

Justin Hunter

DeAndre Hopkins

Cordarelle Patterson

i stay with the plan to go, de, wr cb.

with 14 mil cap room we need to get abraham and an outside cb in fa.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Either way would be fine by me.  Honestly, the only way we can screw this draft up is if we draft Manti Teo.  I'm more scared of NE taking him then I was them taking Tebow, and that is saying A LOT.

wasnt scared of tebow not of te'o. i dont think we were interested in either.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

ne patritosdraft has finally come around:

hopkins to pats

carradine 30

short 31

(all past or present pats selections for me).

hope it doesnt turn out this way, but if 1 of them falls far enough for us to trade up for the  2nd, and we get both.

otherwise carradine, rogers, then big cb (or mbs bailey or speedy 3 down cover lb)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

1rd Jesse Willians

2rd Da`Brick Rogers

3rd D.J Hayden

7rd Marquees Wilson

7rd OL or a K

What do u think guys?

I like short as well. The 2 dt's I was big on early on we're Richardson and short. Looks like Richardson is going in the top 20, but, short should be there at 29.

the only knock on short is his inconsistency and motor. look at last year. He simply either dominated games or was non existent. 3 or 4 of the games he dominated were against inferior competition. I really don't know what to make of him at this point, meaning kinda lukewarm on him. 

any of the kids mentioned at dt...Williams, Hankins, Jenkins, short, etc i believe are all upgrades over love, deaderick, Francis. However, I don't know if they are when compared potentially to armstead. if armstead was drafted this year, given his cfl production, where would he go? Back half of round 1?  Round 2?....I think he showed some pretty good skills in the cfl albeit against inferior talent, but that talent has got to be similar at least to some top college talent...meaning they aren't all scrubs. 

The point is...have the pats already drafted their DT? and if so, will they draft another one? And to your point LOW, do the pats even see it as a priority the same way we do? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

1rd Jesse Willians

2rd Da`Brick Rogers

3rd D.J Hayden

7rd Marquees Wilson

7rd OL or a K

What do u think guys?

I like short as well. The 2 dt's I was big on early on we're Richardson and short. Looks like Richardson is going in the top 20, but, short should be there at 29.

the only knock on short is his inconsistency and motor. look at last year. He simply either dominated games or was non existent. 3 or 4 of the games he dominated were against inferior competition. I really don't know what to make of him at this point, meaning kinda lukewarm on him. 

any of the kids mentioned at dt...Williams, Hankins, Jenkins, short, etc i believe are all upgrades over love, deaderick, Francis. However, I don't know if they are when compared potentially to armstead. if armstead was drafted this year, given his cfl production, where would he go? Back half of round 1?  Round 2?....I think he showed some pretty good skills in the cfl albeit against inferior talent, but that talent has got to be similar at least to some top college talent...meaning they aren't all scrubs. 

The point is...have the pats already drafted their DT? and if so, will they draft another one? And to your point LOW, do the pats even see it as a priority the same way we do? 

Lifer,

My personal view is the Pat's won't draft DT at 29 because of Armstead.  I heard they are pretty high on him.  While Love is entering the last year of his deal, I also think they have bigger needs, especially at WR, CB and coverage LB. 

We actually need 2 WRs.  This looks like 2006 all over again.  We have nothing at WR now with Amendola getting hurt all the time, Jones and Jenkins are #4-5 WRs at best, and we'll probably be stuck with Branch and Stallworth coming off the street by Week 6.  I'm actually hoping they will bring Lloyd back.  Right now our WR position is a train wreck, worst in the league if you ask me.  Name a team with a worse #1 and #2 than us (Amendola and Jones according to Patriots.com depth chart)?

With just three picks in the top 200, I would like to see them address the afformentioned 3 positions first.  I think we should actually double down on the WR position unless we sign a better F/A than we have so far.  Trouble is Edelman is the best one left and we need an outside the numbers guy.

Right now our WR position depth chart of Amedola, Jones, Slater, Ebert, and Jenkins is pathetic!!  I'd rather stand pat at DL and upgrade this group.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Hey Faucet. I agree with your thoughts. No doubt we still need help at WR, but I feel like BB has a plan for this position. Keep Andre Holmes in mind. Practice Squad guy last year, but 6'4" and above average speed and agility according to his workout numbers. Just a hunch, and I'm not saying he is the answer, but I bet he will be strongly in the mix for a roster spot come week 1.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

My personal view is the Pat's won't draft DT at 29 because of Armstead.  I heard they are pretty high on him.  While Love is entering the last year of his deal, I also think they have bigger needs, especially at WR, CB and coverage LB. 

We actually need 2 WRs.  This looks like 2006 all over again.  We have nothing at WR now with Amendola getting hurt all the time, Jones and Jenkins are #4-5 WRs at best, and we'll probably be stuck with Branch and Stallworth coming off the street by Week 6.  I'm actually hoping they will bring Lloyd back.  Right now our WR position is a train wreck, worst in the league if you ask me.  Name a team with a worse #1 and #2 than us (Amendola and Jones according to Patriots.com depth chart)?

With just three picks in the top 200, I would like to see them address the afformentioned 3 positions first.  I think we should actually double down on the WR position unless we sign a better F/A than we have so far.  Trouble is Edelman is the best one left and we need an outside the numbers guy.

Right now our WR position depth chart of Amedola, Jones, Slater, Ebert, and Jenkins is pathetic!!  I'd rather stand pat at DL and upgrade this group.

I'm seeing Armstead as more of a Pyror replacement at this point and actually think they might have him lose 5-10 pounds and become a larger 43 DE on the outside. He's not even 290 right now with 4.8 speed so if he drops down to 280-285 and picks up slightly more speed he could make an ideal bookend to Jones.

Imagine a 4 line front of:

Armstead/Nink   Williams/Hankins/Jenkins   Wilfork  Jones

that would be an impossing 4 player front

As for the WRs, I agree we need better ones but having an all-star WR hasn't helped us in the past. Not to mention WRs in the draft aren't exactly the Pats strong suit. 1 pick I'd like to use but if we use 2 high picks and both don't work but one of the DTs we passed on does succeed I'm not sure many of us can take it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Hey Lifer,

I was high on Short early in the season, particularly after watching their game against ND. When I looked at his stats at the end of the season, I had the same questions about his consistency. His per game stat run down shows there were games in the middle of the season when he did not rack up a lot of stats.

I did some digging and found out he suffered an ankle injury in late Oct against Minnesota. Also, one thing you will find if you actually watch full games of him, is that he impacts the game in ways that do not show up in stats.

This makes me think that the reviewers who talk about inconsistencies on him simply did what I did first - i.e., look at his per game stats on espn - and used that as basis for claiming inconsistency.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Hey Faucet... 

I hope they don't get complacent with the DT spot. I really think their defensive schemes and effectivity are limited by the level of talent they have on the interior DL. 

I can see how they might not pick up Short, given he might be a similar player to Armstead. I would be thrilled if they pick up a NT-type player, which I believe Short is not. Neither is Amrstead.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Big Vince isn`t getting younger if we draft a DT this year we can maybe find VW sucessor, this kid could learn a lot from Big Vince and become a great defender too

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

1rd Jesse Willians

2rd Da`Brick Rogers

3rd D.J Hayden

7rd Marquees Wilson

7rd OL or a K

What do u think guys?

Lifer,

", I would like to see them address the afformentioned 3 positions first."

which aforementioned 3. i read advocating 2 wrs in your post (which is one of the minds i have)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

1rd Jesse Willians

2rd Da`Brick Rogers

3rd D.J Hayden

7rd Marquees Wilson

7rd OL or a K

What do u think guys?

Lifer,

My personal view is the Pat's won't draft DT at 29 because of Armstead.  I heard they are pretty high on him.  While Love is entering the last year of his deal, I also think they have bigger needs, especially at WR, CB and coverage LB

", I would like to see them address the afformentioned 3 positions first."

which aforementioned 3. i read advocating 2 wrs in your post (which is one of the minds i have)

I'm guessing these.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Hey Faucet... 

I hope they don't get complacent with the DT spot. I really think their defensive schemes and effectivity are limited by the level of talent they have on the interior DL. 

I can see how they might not pick up Short, given he might be a similar player to Armstead. I would be thrilled if they pick up a NT-type player, which I believe Short is not. Neither is Amrstead.

The inconsistency and questionable motor seems to show up in most every scouting report out there, but I do agree that he has to be considered withing the Top 64 due to his athleticism and upside.  I'd prefer that they go in another direction in Rd 1, but see the value at some point in Rd 2.