***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Ok. I think BB should really go for a special, high upside player with our 1st this year. I know that sounds obvious and like a no-brainer, but think about this: sometimes it is easy to make the "safe" pick with that 1st round selection, and truthfully that is often the best way to go. I think BB needs to try to find a special difference maker this year, and I think there will be a few guys available who would fit that mold. Hopkins, Trufant, Ogletree, and Datone Jones are the four guys who I like the best at 29 (who have a realistic chance at being there.) I think that these guys are not just special talents at their respective positions, but also low risk players to boot. As much as I like a lot of the DTs, I think that the overall depth of the position will allow BB to grab a similar talent in the 2nd or 3rd round to which he could get in the 1st.

In the 1st esp, late in the first I'm always hesistant to take WRs and Cbs in particular. They are such boom or bust players and the success rate is so small it's not even worth taking the risk. For example in the top 50 so far the Pats have had Butler, Ras, and McCourty and none have stayed at CB for the Pats with McCourty being the best moving to FS. For WRs the ratio is even smaller around the league.

If you bust on 1st round picks it really sets the team up for failure as was evidence in the 07-09 draft years with the Pats. Those poor draft class really caused a ripple effect the Pats are still trying to recover from. When it comes to 1st picks I also go under the assumption that unless it's a QB you stick close to the lines. In otherwords TEs, OL, DL, LBs are the safest to pick and highest hitting.

Now over NFL history it has shown that some of the top end CB and WR talent is typically found in day 2 and amazingly enough with WR the hit rate sometimes increases from round 1 to round 2. Given that I don't mind taking a shot at a higher end DL player but I'd rather take a risk on a Bailey, Rogers, or Wheaton in the second then a Hopkins or Hunter in the 1st

I think you have to separate the Pats' record of picking CBs in the first vs the rest of the league. Bottomline is that most of those among the top CBs in the league were taken in rd 1. 

Revis 1 14 Asomugha 1 31 Woodson 1 4 Samuel 4 120 Bailey 1 7 Winfield 1 23 T Williams UDFA   D Hall 1 8 Finnegan 7 215 Routt 2 38 J oseph 1 24 Cromartie 1 19 Grimes UDFA   Greer UDFA   Flowers 2 35 Rogers-Cromartie 1 16 Tillman 2 35 L Hall 1 18 R obinson 1 10 Bartell 2 50 Webster 2 43 J ammer 1 5

I would argue even that the Pats may have better success of finding the right CB if they just go with the market consensus on who the first round CBs are. I believe the market has a better success rate of finding the right CB, than BB when BB goes contrarian. 

Now, if you are just looking for depth at CB, then that is a different conversation

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I guess copying a table from a spreadsheet does not work here.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Ok. I think BB should really go for a special, high upside player with our 1st this year. I know that sounds obvious and like a no-brainer, but think about this: sometimes it is easy to make the "safe" pick with that 1st round selection, and truthfully that is often the best way to go. I think BB needs to try to find a special difference maker this year, and I think there will be a few guys available who would fit that mold. Hopkins, Trufant, Ogletree, and Datone Jones are the four guys who I like the best at 29 (who have a realistic chance at being there.) I think that these guys are not just special talents at their respective positions, but also low risk players to boot. As much as I like a lot of the DTs, I think that the overall depth of the position will allow BB to grab a similar talent in the 2nd or 3rd round to which he could get in the 1st.

In the 1st esp, late in the first I'm always hesistant to take WRs and Cbs in particular. They are such boom or bust players and the success rate is so small it's not even worth taking the risk. For example in the top 50 so far the Pats have had Butler, Ras, and McCourty and none have stayed at CB for the Pats with McCourty being the best moving to FS. For WRs the ratio is even smaller around the league.

If you bust on 1st round picks it really sets the team up for failure as was evidence in the 07-09 draft years with the Pats. Those poor draft class really caused a ripple effect the Pats are still trying to recover from. When it comes to 1st picks I also go under the assumption that unless it's a QB you stick close to the lines. In otherwords TEs, OL, DL, LBs are the safest to pick and highest hitting.

Now over NFL history it has shown that some of the top end CB and WR talent is typically found in day 2 and amazingly enough with WR the hit rate sometimes increases from round 1 to round 2. Given that I don't mind taking a shot at a higher end DL player but I'd rather take a risk on a Bailey, Rogers, or Wheaton in the second then a Hopkins or Hunter in the 1st

Good points.  I would argue that DTs that go in the first have a very high "bust rate."  Point is that any poistion can be a bust, but I think you have to look at the depth of the particular draft, then the depth of a particular position in a particular draft to really decide where that value is.  I'm simply looking for a "difference maker" in the first round this year, and if BB can find that in a DT or a LB then I'll be very happy.  I just see Hopkins, Trufant, Ogletree, and Jones as being signigicantly better, and safer picks than their peers who might be available late 2nd or later.  Could a guy like Sylvester Williams, Jesse Williams, Jenkins, or Hankins end up being an elite DT?  Sure.  Absolutely, but to me those guys are a little tougher to evaluate and determine their NFL potential. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Good points.  I would argue that DTs that go in the first have a very high "bust rate."  Point is that any poistion can be a bust, but I think you have to look at the depth of the particular draft, then the depth of a particular position in a particular draft to really decide where that value is.  I'm simply looking for a "difference maker" in the first round this year, and if BB can find that in a DT or a LB then I'll be very happy.  I just see Hopkins, Trufant, Ogletree, and Jones as being signigicantly better, and safer picks than their peers who might be available late 2nd or later.  Could a guy like Sylvester Williams, Jesse Williams, Jenkins, or Hankins end up being an elite DT?  Sure.  Absolutely, but to me those guys are a little tougher to evaluate and determine their NFL potential. 

I hear you, I'm just biased because the Pats have a horrible track record on WRs and CBs. Actually what they need to do is take a WR then immediately trade them for who ever is the next WR picked

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I hear you, I'm just biased because the Pats have a horrible track record on WRs and CBs. Actually what they need to do is take a WR then immediately trade them for who ever is the next WR picked

Hahaha, nice.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

nepatriotsdraft.com's Mike Loyko's most recent mock 4/3

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013/04/2013-new-england-patriots-only-mock-draft-version-4-0.html#more-24238

Rd 1:  WR DeAndre Hopkins

Rd 2:  WR Stedman Bailey or Blidi Wreh-Wilson

Rd 3:  CB Tyrann Mathieu

Rd 7:  CB Brandon McGee

RD 7:  RB Robbie Rouse

They don't get the DT tackle, but it'd be tough to NOT be excited with a haul of Hopkins, Bailey and Mathieu on Day 1/2... talk about landing some playmakers...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I do like Jones' versatility... having the ability to play DE or DT in 43 sets as that inside/outside type hyrib player that both Francis and Cunningham saw time at last season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Hey MB--really appreciate all the threads on potential draft picks--very informative. You must watch a lot of College ball? keep up the good work-some of the lesser known players you post are interesting. I myself would love to get Stedman Bailey and Short then the next best player at CB, Offensive line or Defensive End/OLB.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

"Hopkins, Trufant, Ogletree, and Datone Jones are the four guys who I like the best at 29 "

i like the talent in those players too adn hwo it fits the team, with limited picks id raterh not go cb

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jimmytantric's comment:

Hey MB--really appreciate all the threads on potential draft picks--very informative. You must watch a lot of College ball? keep up the good work-some of the lesser known players you post are interesting. I myself would love to get Stedman Bailey and Short then the next best player at CB, Offensive line or Defensive End/OLB.

Thanks, man... I do watch a ton of college ball during the season and generally research players from Sept-April... def a passion of mine.  Lucky to have a ton of knowledgable posters as well to keep the thread going.  They'd prob need to target Short in Rd 1 or at some point in the Top 40 or so, though Bailey could very well be there in Rd 2.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Eng,

agree On cb and WR being glaring needs. I think one of each, a quality vet or draft pick is in order.

honestly, I want the pats to spend in FA to get Abraham and a vet cb Like jammer, and maybe bring in Kelly as well. That would seem ti fit what bb does, creating max flexibility in the draft as possible. I have never seen or felt bb squeezed in the draft to take a particular position earlier than he wanted..,we can argue if some of the picks warranted where they were chosen...

if we could bring in Abraham, Kelly and Jammer....or a combo of the 2....I think that is reasonable given our cap space, but I think it would mean moving on from sanders Possibly...or if you wanted sanders, then maybe not Abraham or Kelly. 

I know this is confusing, but the pats have a ton of options here to do a bit more dealing in FA and leave themselves in perfect position for the draft. 

"honestly, I want the pats to spend in FA to get Abraham and a vet cb Like jammer, and maybe bring in Kelly as well. That would seem ti fit what bb does, creating max flexibility in the draft as possible"

i like this too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Just a random side note, I'm really excited about Trent Murphy DE from Stanford in 14's draft. Somehow Stanford got a stacked 5-6 legit pro D and Murphy was the best of the bunch. at 6'6" if he can get up to 275lb range this kid is going to be something to watch in a 43. Hoping the Pats might have a shot at him next year if they don't go DE this year

Speaking of side notes and 14 draft. What an odd path to a really nice Jr. year for one UCLA kid.

Anthony Barr 6'4 235

2010 he was a WR - did not see action

2011 he was moved to RB - did not see action

2012 he gets moved yet again to LB of all things - 83 tackles, 21.5 TFL's, 13.5 sacks

He is being attributed in part to some of Datone Jones success in some circles and he is returning for his Sr year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Hey Eng,

For you personally, is the CB need a question of you believing Ras-I is physically finished? Dennard will go to jail for too long? or that you want another starting caliber CB behind the three starters we have, again because you think Ras-I is finished?

Just a honest serious question of where you are at with the CB situation. I am not sure where I am myself.

We have three starters. However Talib has his own injury history to think about. Dennard "could" go to jail for a longer time period. Ras-I might get hurt again.

However Talib "could" stay healthy. Dennard "might" not go to jail. ...and Ras-I "could" finally be and stay healthy.

If the later happened then you would basically have four starters. If you look around the league that is pretty good depth in that scenario comparatively speaking.

There is a lot of uncertainty there but I am not sure I'm convinced they really need to draft a CB high even without signing a vet in FA.

What are your thoughts?

Hey Low,

I have zero faith Ras can last a season truthfully. I really didn't want Ras before the draft because of the type of injures he was having in college. A bunch of nagging leg injures which to me translated into trouble. after 2 years with him only playing 8 games I wouldn't trust him to be more then a 5th CB right now. As such given that you need 3 solid starters in todays league and I view Arrignton as a star position player only which means I have concerns over depth. Esp considering Talib has never finished a 16 game season in his pro career and the specter of Dennard missing games through either jail time or suspension (which I don't think will happen but I'm an old Boy Scout). Being optimistic is great but being realistic wins games.

The other factor I'm considering is Talib is only on a one year deal. After this year he may be gone, whether for locker room stuff or by asking price being to high. Personally I've always like the notion of planning ahead and getting players in place to replace players you may lose (ie Solder to replace Light).

The thing I was always taught was the more coulds/woulds/shoulds/ifs in your statement the higher risk something is going to go wrong and the weaker your overall statement. Again old boy scout, hope for the best plan for the worst you never want to be caught with your pants down. And if you don't look at the past for a guideline to what the future may hold you'll be reaching for your pants a lot.

ive had the same conclusions abotu needing another cb and preferring to get it in fa since the beginnign of this draft season. talib only on a year deal increases this need.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Eng,

agree On cb and WR being glaring needs. I think one of each, a quality vet or draft pick is in order.

honestly, I want the pats to spend in FA to get Abraham and a vet cb Like jammer, and maybe bring in Kelly as well. That would seem ti fit what bb does, creating max flexibility in the draft as possible. I have never seen or felt bb squeezed in the draft to take a particular position earlier than he wanted..,we can argue if some of the picks warranted where they were chosen...

if we could bring in Abraham, Kelly and Jammer....or a combo of the 2....I think that is reasonable given our cap space, but I think it would mean moving on from sanders Possibly...or if you wanted sanders, then maybe not Abraham or Kelly. 

I know this is confusing, but the pats have a ton of options here to do a bit more dealing in FA and leave themselves in perfect position for the draft. 

"honestly, I want the pats to spend in FA to get Abraham and a vet cb Like jammer, and maybe bring in Kelly as well. That would seem ti fit what bb does, creating max flexibility in the draft as possible"

i like this too.

Jammer has apparently been just atrocious. I think PFF had him ranked last in the NFL a couple years in a row or something really bad like that. I don't remember the details now but I remember it being really ugly.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

I do like Jones' versatility... having the ability to play DE or DT in 43 sets as that inside/outside type hyrib player that both Francis and Cunningham saw time at last season.

yup, i was early on jones in my interest here. de still my pref for top pick.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Just a random side note, I'm really excited about Trent Murphy DE from Stanford in 14's draft. Somehow Stanford got a stacked 5-6 legit pro D and Murphy was the best of the bunch. at 6'6" if he can get up to 275lb range this kid is going to be something to watch in a 43. Hoping the Pats might have a shot at him next year if they don't go DE this year

Speaking of side notes and 14 draft. What an odd path to a really nice Jr. year for one UCLA kid.

Anthony Barr 6'4 235

2012 he gets moved yet again to LB of all things - 83 tackles, 21.5 TFL's, 13.5 sacks

Def flashed a ton of ability... sure wish he woulda chosen ND over UCLA, ha... OSU Ryan Shazier had a ton of production as well... also, OSU CB Bradley Roby looks like a bigtime CB prospect and potential Top 5-10 player if he continues to progress... I was hoping he'd declare this year as a RS Soph.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Anthony Barr 6'4 235

He is being attributed in part to some of Datone Jones success in some circles and he is returning for his Sr year.

Oh man... Yet two more reasons to get excited about next year's draft. My son is not going to like it but his Clone Wars shows on the DVR will have to give way to more college games next year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Anthony Barr 6'4 235

Oh man... Yet two more reasons to get excited about next year's draft. My son is not going to like it but his Clone Wars shows on the DVR will have to give way to more college games next year.

lol, I've got my short list of 15 prospects I keyed on for future picks as I watched this year. It's going to balloon to 50 by the time this years draft comes just from watch clips of other games on draft type shows I record. I feel for your son but this has absolutely no real life meaning hence why it should take premise  lol

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I know RB is not exactly a need but I like Zac Stacy as a late round option.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Do you guys think we will be able to find a trade partner to move back into the second?  I think it's going to be tough.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Do you guys think we will be able to find a trade partner to move back into the second?  I think it's going to be tough.

I agree unless there is a team that wants to get a QB and not wait for the 2nd round.  After all these QB moves in FA, some football writers are claiming those same teams still consider strongly drafting a QB.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

That is what I am guessing too. My guess is that Geno gets picked in the first. Those teams who do not get to pick him will be happy to wait where they are in the second round to get the QB they want. If already taken, then they'd be happy to pick from the deep non-QB positions.

Some of these teams have already written off the season and look at 2013 as a bridge to 2014, when the draft is much more promising one for getting franchise QBs. 

QBs in next years draft is also the reason I want the Pats to trade out and get 2014 picks. I think picks next year will be very valuable currency.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Yeah don't see it really unless an OT falls. WB's aren't that great and back of the first is the start of the second tier CBs and WRs which have similar talents to the mid of the 3rd. DT maybe as the top 9 should go in the top 50. So you might get a 45-55 pick team wanting a DT might trade up but other then that I'm not seeing a lot of trade partners