***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to Army2LT's comment:

I thought for sure you would know mb.  

WR Woods would seem like a better fit at this time then T.O and I would think the Pats did thier homework (on Woods).  Maybe they did, and no one knows about it. 

Would you prefer Woods or Bailey with our 2nd rounder?

I'd have to guess that it was more TO seeking out the oppportunity... can't imagine that he's a serious candidate to be a WR in NE next season... at least I sure hope he's not.

"I'd have to guess that it was more TO seeking out the oppportunity.."

that does sound like to.

hes got a 24/7 profile to maintain.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to Army2LT's comment:

Can anyone tell me why USC WR Woods isn't practicing with Brady, but T.O. is?  If that is against the rules, why was Mallett allowed to practice at the Arkansas pro day?

It's a good question Army, IDK... hoping someone else has the answer.

Do not take this as factual as I can not say for certainty but I believe it is not allowed.

I believe Mallet was allowed as a service to his alma mater. ..and that might only be allowed as long as you are not the reigning starter?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I'm smelling an all Wahington State 7th round coming for NE this year.  WR Marquise Wilson and QB Jeff Tuel.  Wilson's all-around talent would be too much to pass up there, and Tuel is a guy with nice potential who has been stuck behind an awful O-Line during his time at Wazzu and therefore his film is a little difficult to evaluate. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

I'm smelling an all Wahington State 7th round coming for NE this year.  WR Marquise Wilson and QB Jeff Tuel.  Wilson's all-around talent would be too much to pass up there, and Tuel is a guy with nice potential who has been stuck behind an awful O-Line during his time at Wazzu and therefore his film is a little difficult to evaluate. 

I've been pretty high on Wilson for a while (minus off-field issues) but I doubt he amkes it to the 7th. Either his maturity issues are overblown and teams will use a mid round pick on a high end talent or the issues aren't overblown in which case BB won't take a player who won't listen to coaches.

Tuel though I could most def see in the 7th and have mocked us taking him there a number of times. To me it makes perfect sense. If not for the injury and spliting time his senior year he'd be a much higher pick competing as a top 5 QB this year, imo. Tons of upside with him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I've been pretty high on Wilson for a while (minus off-field issues) but I doubt he amkes it to the 7th. Either his maturity issues are overblown and teams will use a mid round pick on a high end talent or the issues aren't overblown in which case BB won't take a player who won't listen to coaches.

Tuel though I could most def see in the 7th and have mocked us taking him there a number of times. To me it makes perfect sense. If not for the injury and spliting time his senior year he'd be a much higher pick competing as a top 5 QB this year, imo. Tons of upside with him.

I agree... I liken Wilson to Mike Williams back in 2010... someone will prob snag him early on Day 3.

I agree with both of you that Tuel makes a ton of sense in Rd 7 as an upside play... adequate size, good triangle #'s, adequate comp % and scouting reports mention good touch on his passes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I agree... I liken Wilson to Mike Williams back in 2010... someone will prob snag him early on Day 3.

I agree with both of you that Tuel makes a ton of sense in Rd 7 as an upside play... adequate size, good triangle #'s, adequate comp % and scouting reports mention good touch on his passes.

You guys are right.  Wilson will likely come off the board in the 4th or 5th round.  He has too much talent not to.  But hey, I thought Dennard was a lock to go in the 2nd last year and look where he ended up.  That being said, BB would likely have to acqire a 4th or 5th if he wants Wilson.  Tuel, however, is a good possibility in the 7th, and I really think that there will be a pretty good DT sitting there in the 7th as well due to the depth of this class. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Here is something I posted on TexasPat's mock draft thread. I want to be able to come back to it after the draft. I just think I have a better chance of finding it here than finding that thread again.

Still relevant to this thread of course.

I think the DTs will go really fast this year. In addition to the normal demand, there are two teams converting to 34, who will certainly be in a hunt for an NT. Teams that could pick a DT in the first include JAX, OAK, CLE, NYJ, TEN, NOS, PIT, MIN, IND, GBP, NWE.

My guess:

JAX: Finds Jordan and Ansah too fascinating. They forego a DT. Takes one of Jordan or Ansah. If I were them, I'd take the latter. I think DET takes the other.

OAK: Their situation with Kelly and Seymour makes DT a must. I think they pick Floyd

NYJ: They could take a pass-rusher. But with Star on the board, I don't think Ryan will be able to resist taking a very talented DT who could also be their NT. They take Lotulelei.

TEN: Will take Richardson if BUF takes Warmack

NOS: Conversion to 34 will be problematic without a NT - the most critical position in the scheme.  Big kids with high level of kids don't appear on every draft. They gotta take an NT. Of the available DTs, my guess is they pick the one who is closest to being ready to start, even if they get a NT on FA. That would be Hankins.

PIT: I have them picking a backfill to Harrison. However, Hampton is FA. Behind Hampton, they have McLendon (maybe too small to play PIT style of 34) and Taamu. My guess is they get a vet from FA if Taamu is not ready. It is possible they pick another padawan to learn from whichever vet they bring in. That could be J Williams. If they want someone close to starting they could pick S Williams.

IND: Same situation as NOS. Of available DTs who can play nose, they pick the one closest to being ready to start. My guess is that would be S Williams. If he's gone, the pick here could be Jenkins.

MIN: Will certainly pick a WR with one of their first rounders. The other pick should be on D. The D struggled against the pass. Yesterday, I thought that reinforcing the front 4 would be the way to go for them. But TP's CB pick made me analyze MIN a little more. That D ranks #5 in total sacks and #5 in sack yards lost. On the other hand they rank #27 on opp pass completion rate. This makes me believe that their issue is more in the secondary. I think TP nailed this one. They probably will pick a CB.

GBP: Not many predict GBP to pick a DT. That said, if you watched their last playoff game, the front 5 looked really slow vs. SFF. If I have to guess which position they will target improving, it will be 33 yr old Pickett, who plays to the left of Raji. I anticipate they pick whichever highly rated DT's left that has the best motor. That would be Short.

NWE: If they want a NT, they could be left with only J Williams vs Johnathan Jenkins on the board (B Williams if they want to risk waiting 'til 59). On how close to being ready to start, I think Jenkins has the advantage. For different reasons, they have very good upsides. Williams' upside is more related to what he's been able to do despite his rawness. Jenkins' upside has to do with the athleticism he shows at the weight he's at (345 lbs). In the history of the NFL, I think people have seen that the latter kind of upside is more rare. Like TP and Wazzu, I like Jenkins here. Yet depending on where PIT goes, it's possible that only one of Jenkins and J Williams is available here.

They can pick a CB (one of Slay, Alford, Ryan, Mathieu, Gratz, Webb, Bildi Wreh-Wilson, McFadden, Davis)  in the second and a WR (Possibly available: Rogers, Hamilton, Bailey, Stills, Swope, Harper, Vernon) in the third (in bold are the ones I like). Sorry, Bred, I think they are set on 43DE or 34 OLB.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Here is something I posted on TexasPat's mock draft thread. I want to be able to come back to it after the draft. I just think I have a better chance of finding it here than finding that thread again.

I think the DTs will go really fast this year. In addition to the normal demand, there are two teams converting to 34, who will certainly be in a hunt for an NT. Teams that could pick a DT in the first include JAX, OAK, CLE, NYJ, TEN, NOS, PIT, MIN, IND, GBP, NWE.

My guess:

JAX: Finds Jordan and Ansah too fascinating. They forego a DT. Takes one of Jordan or Ansah. If I were them, I'd take the latter. I think DET takes the other.

OAK: Their situation with Kelly and Seymour makes DT a must. I think they pick Floyd

NYJ: They could take a pass-rusher. But with Star on the board, I don't think Ryan will be able to resist taking a very talented DT who could also be their NT. They take Lotulelei.

NOS: Conversion to 34 will be problematic without a NT - the most critical position in the scheme.  Big kids with high level of kids don't appear on every draft. They gotta take an NT. Of the available DTs, my guess is they pick the one who is closest to being ready to start, even if they get a NT on FA. That would be Hankins.

PIT: I have them picking a backfill to Harrison. However, Hampton is FA. Behind Hampton, they have McLendon (maybe too small to play PIT style of 34) and Taamu. My guess is they get a vet from FA if Taamu is not ready. It is possible they pick another padawan to learn from whichever vet they bring in. That could be J Williams. If they want someone close to starting they could pick S Williams.

IND: Same situation as NOS. Of available DTs who can play nose, they pick the one closest to being ready to start. My guess is that would be S Williams. If he's gone, the pick here could be Jenkins.

MIN: Will certainly pick a WR with one of their first rounders. The other pick should be on D. The D struggled against the pass. Yesterday, I thought that reinforcing the front 4 would be the way to go for them. But TP's CB pick made me analyze MIN a little more. That D ranks #5 in total sacks and #5 in sack yards lost. On the other hand they rank #27 on opp pass completion rate. This makes me believe that their issue is more in the secondary. I think TP nailed this one. They probably will pick a CB.

GBP: Not many predict GBP to pick a DT. That said, if you watched their last playoff game, the front 5 looked really slow vs. SFF. If I have to guess which position they will target improving, it will be 33 yr old Pickett, who plays to the left of Raji. I anticipate they pick whichever highly rated DT's left that has the best motor. That would be Short.

NWE: If they want a NT, they could be left with only J Williams vs Johnathan Jenkins on the board (B Williams if they want to risk waiting 'til 59). On how close to being ready to start, I think Jenkins has the advantage. For different reasons, they have very good upsides. Williams' upside is more related to what he's been able to do despite his rawness. Jenkins' upside has to do with the athleticism he shows at the weight he's at (345 lbs). In the history of the NFL, I think people have seen that the latter kind of upside is more rare. Like TP and Wazzu, I like Jenkins here. Yet depending on where PIT goes, it's possible that only one of Jenkins and J Williams is available here.

They can pick a CB (one of Slay, Alford, Ryan, Mathieu, Gratz, Webb, Bildi Wreh-Wilson, McFadden, Davis)  in the second and a WR (Possibly available: Rogers, Hamilton, Bailey, Stills, Swope, Harper, Vernon) in the third (in bold are the ones I like). Sorry, Bred, I think they are set on 43DE or 34 OLB.

Fair assumptions seattlepat.  I'm really warming up to the Jenkins idea at 29.  Not many human beings are that size and can move like him.  He has a ways to go, but could end up becoming a very special player.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

My guess:

Hey,

Good post.

Jax- I agree, tough to pass up on an edge player with elite potential.

Oak- Makes sense for them and while he seems to be rated that high, I still don't see Sharrif Floyd as a Top 5 talent.

NYJ/TEN/NOS/GB/IND- All of these make sense if the player is available.

Min- Agree that they could use more help at WR.

On J Williams, he could start tomorrow anywhere along a 2-gap front, IMO... it's his ability as a passrusher that will need to develop a bit, though he does have the ability to push the pocket from the interior and it's not like rushing the passer would be his first priority like most interior DT's in a BB scheme.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from geek. Show geek's posts

This board has been talking about the large number of 1st round DT's.

The Bleacher Report calls them a weakness in this draft.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1591315-reviewing-the-strengths-weaknesses-of-the-2013-nfl-draft-class

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

My guess:

Fair assumptions seattlepat.  I'm really warming up to the Jenkins idea at 29.  Not many human beings are that size and can move like him.  He has a ways to go, but could end up becoming a very special player.

if i remember right, jenkins is where i started. im a long way form there now :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I honestly don't think the Pats will go DT with any of its top 3 picks.  I don't have anything concrete to base this on other than my gut feeling that BB is happy with Love and that he sees his DL as a strength.  I do see us potentially going DE, specifically Margus Hunt with our first pick.  I think he is too freakishly big and athletic for BB to pass on.  He will love him immediately on special teams blocking kicks and as a back up to Jones and Ninko. 

I don't see us taking a DB in the first.  We have blown far too many picks on DBs over recent years and BB should be a little gun shy about pulling the trigger on one high again in this year's draft.  But we learn tomorrow (I think) about Dennard.  I made the case for a guy like Minter, if he makes it, and for Hunt.  Now, I think this could be the year of the shocker - BB drafts a WR.  Keenan Allen if he's there.

Speaking of Minter, do you think BB might make a play for recently released Rolando McClain?  This guy was once considered the safest pick in the draft.  Can he be turned around and into something special?

But odds are we trade back and have to wait until day 2 where he will still get a decent WO or two. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

I honestly don't think the Pats will go DT with any of its top 3 picks.  I don't have anything concrete to base this on other than my gut feeling that BB is happy with Love and that he sees his DL as a strength.  I do see us potentially going DE, specifically Margus Hunt with our first pick.  I think he is too freakishly big and athletic for BB to pass on.  He will love him immediately on special teams blocking kicks and as a back up to Jones and Ninko. 

I don't see us taking a DB in the first.  We have blown far too many picks on DBs over recent years and BB should be a little gun shy about pulling the trigger on one high again in this year's draft.  But we learn tomorrow (I think) about Dennard.  I made the case for a guy like Minter, if he makes it, and for Hunt.  Now, I think this could be the year of the shocker - BB drafts a WR.  Keenan Allen if he's there.

Speaking of Minter, do you think BB might make a play for recently released Rolando McClain?  This guy was once considered the safest pick in the draft.  Can he be turned around and into something special?

But odds are we trade back and have to wait until day 2 where he will still get a decent WO or two. 

I am of the opinion they get a LB in this draft though I highly doubt it is Minter. Minter much Like Rolando McClain duplicate the type of LB play we already have on the roster i.e physical players who can take on blocks and make tackles in the run game but leave something to be desired especially in man coverage. Nepatriotsdraft has a list of the LB's the pats have worked out and if you take a look you will see guys like Zaviar Gooden, Jelani Jenkins, Jon Bostic, Kiko Alonso etc all have the ability to play in space. Im really hoping we end up with Zaviar Gooden in the 3rd as our WILL and then move Mayo to Mike and keep Hightower at SLB. If we do this, we greatly increase the overall speed and coverage ability of our LB core. With Mayo in the middle, the routine 20 yd completions down the seam will be a thing of the past.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

hey faucet,

"I honestly don't think the Pats will go DT with any of its top 3 picks.  I don't have anything concrete to base this on other than my gut feeling that BB is happy with Love and that he sees his DL as a strength.  "

teh dts available for good value and our lack of interest seem to support this.

"He will love him immediately on special teams blocking kicks"

the same thought occured to me.

i feel hunt needs some strenght though and development. if we didint need receivers id lvoe to go carrading and hunt. wiht our current need and where hunt is projhected, id rather have carradine then wr, then in 3rd wr or cb, dt, ol. safety, cover lb

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

not liking mcclain, allen i think should be gone. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to speedster81's comment:

I am of the opinion they get a LB in this draft though I highly doubt it is Minter. Minter much Like Rolando McClain duplicate the type of LB play we already have on the roster i.e physical players who can take on blocks and make tackles in the run game but leave something to be desired especially in man coverage. Nepatriotsdraft has a list of the LB's the pats have worked out and if you take a look you will see guys like Zaviar Gooden, Jelani Jenkins, Jon Bostic, Kiko Alonso etc all have the ability to play in space. Im really hoping we end up with Zaviar Gooden in the 3rd as our WILL and then move Mayo to Mike and keep Hightower at SLB. If we do this, we greatly increase the overall speed and coverage ability of our LB core. With Mayo in the middle, the routine 20 yd completions down the seam will be a thing of the past.

i dotn know these lbs but if we can get a stud lb in the 3rd who can cover excellent and get a pass rsuhre liek carradine and a big outside wr who can separate and pluck in traffic, id be all good.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

This late night reading of blogs is quite interesting. I have said it for awhile now the Patriots will not be picking at #29. They will either trade up or out of the first round completely. So no matter which player or players I would like to see on the Patriots I'm not holding my breath for any one player or for that all exciting first round pk., so with all due respect to all of the ardent Patriots fans of which I'm one.Don't bother watching the first round because we ain't selecting womever it is we want. Good luck in the prediction of which of player will be the first choice of The Patriots,I'm just going to predict the round #2.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

hey faucet,

"I honestly don't think the Pats will go DT with any of its top 3 picks.  I don't have anything concrete to base this on other than my gut feeling that BB is happy with Love and that he sees his DL as a strength.  "

i feel hunt needs some strenght though and development. if we didint need receivers id lvoe to go carrading and hunt. wiht our current need and where hunt is projhected, id rather have carradine then wr, then in 3rd wr or cb, dt, ol. safety, cover lb

Hunt needs strength???  He threw back 225 thiry-eight times!!  This was tops for all DEs at the Combine and with those long arms, that's even more impressive.

Point taken on WR need.  I keep thinking this could be the year BB finally drafts one in the first but I think we could get Hunt at 29 then still take two WRs, one in the 2rd or 3rd with the other in the 7th.  But I really believe we will be looking for a trading partner to move down.

I've seen Hunt ranked as low as #9 among DEs.  Personally I'd put him ahead of Montgomery, Carridine and Okafor which would move him to #6.  There won't be 6 DEs taken in the first so if we move back to the mid to late 30s we might still get him there and pick up another 3rd.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

This late night reading of blogs is quite interesting. I have said it for awhile now the Patriots will not be picking at #29. They will either trade up or out of the first round completely. So no matter which player or players I would like to see on the Patriots I'm not holding my breath for any one player or for that all exciting first round pk., so with all due respect to all of the ardent Patriots fans of which I'm one.Don't bother watching the first round because we ain't selecting womever it is we want. Good luck in the prediction of which of player will be the first choice of The Patriots,I'm just going to predict the round #2.

I agree with you that trading down is likely.  We've never had fewer than 6 picks before under BB.  I could see us also trading Mallett on draft day, perhaps for a high 2nd, originally I'd say Cleveland but they don't have a 2nd so perhaps swap 3rds this year and get their 2nd next year?  I haven't heard of any other teams interested in Mallett.

As for trading back, it would usually be for teams wanting a QB.  I'm on the fence thinking there will be any QBs taken in the top 15.  If that happens we could see several teams like BUF, ARI, JAX and even the NYJ looking to move into the back of round 1 to land their choice of Smith, Nassib, Barkley or Manuel so that they can get that 5th contract year.  That alone would be worth watching.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

hey faucet,

Hunt needs strength???  He threw back 225 thiry-eight times!!  This was tops for all DEs at the Combine and with those long arms, that's even more impressive.

Point taken on WR need.  I keep thinking this could be the year BB finally drafts one in the first but I think we could get Hunt at 29 then still take two WRs, one in the 2rd or 3rd with the other in the 7th.  But I really believe we will be looking for a trading partner to move down.

I've seen Hunt ranked as low as #9 among DEs.  Personally I'd put him ahead of Montgomery, Carridine and Okafor which would move him to #6.  There won't be 6 DEs taken in the first so if we move back to the mid to late 30s we might still get him there and pick up another 3rd.

Hunt is strong but an unpolished gem at this point. He has all the potential in the world, and you can't teach his speed, strength or size. He like you said is a freakish athlete and still learning the game.

okafor, carradine I think are better than hunt at this point in time. Montgomery I don't care for. 

So, do you take an a more nfl ready player like okafor or carradine, or a guy that probably has some developing  to do but a huge upside in hunt? That is a tough question. i think carradine might go bottom of first, okafor top to middle of second and hunt because of his freakishness could go anywhere and maybe behind or ahead of these guys...in the end, I would be happy with any of these 3 kids. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

Don Banks of SI has Pats taking Hunt in the first.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

I agree with you that trading down is likely.  We've never had fewer than 6 picks before under BB.  I could see us also trading Mallett on draft day, perhaps for a high 2nd, originally I'd say Cleveland but they don't have a 2nd so perhaps swap 3rds this year and get their 2nd next year?  I haven't heard of any other teams interested in Mallett.

As for trading back, it would usually be for teams wanting a QB.  I'm on the fence thinking there will be any QBs taken in the top 15.  If that happens we could see several teams like BUF, ARI, JAX and even the NYJ looking to move into the back of round 1 to land their choice of Smith, Nassib, Barkley or Manuel so that they can get that 5th contract year.  That alone would be worth watching.

5th contract year is a great point. Also agree on trade back; would be suprised if it doesn't occur.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to geek's comment:

This board has been talking about the large number of 1st round DT's.

The Bleacher Report calls them a weekness in this draft.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1591315-reviewing-the-strengths-weaknesses-of-the-2013-nfl-draft-class

They're entitled to their opinion, though I think there are multiple DT's in this class that could come in and provide almost immediate improvement to their defensive front.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I disagree.  I think we will have a tough time finding a trade partner who is willing to move into the first for one of those mediocre QBs.  I hope I'm wrong because I think that trading back is a good option this year, but I bet we will be making a selection at 29.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Curious on everyone's favorite 15 players that aren't expected to be drafted in Rd 1 (dont' remember if I've asked this already)?

My list is below:

1a.  WR- Stedman Bailey

1b.  CB- DJ Hayden

3.  CB- Logan Ryan

4.  WR- Quinton Patton

5.  CB/S- Johnthan Banks

6.  CB- Darius Slay

7.  S- Shamarko Thomas

8.  WR- Markus Wheaton

9.  S- DJ Swearinger

10.  DE-OLB- Michael Buchanan

11.  WR- Ryan Swope