***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

I don't mean to interupt the flow of the discussion here, but what does everyone feel about Ezekiel "Ziggy" Ansah? Personally I love what I've seen from him. I think he has a chance to be one of the best players in this draft. To me he moves so well, and with such power, that I was surprised he was listed at his size (I thought he ran like a much smaller player would). I can't believe this kid has only played football for a short amount of time...he just looks like he was born to play football. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I don't mean to interupt the flow of the discussion here, but what does everyone feel about Ezekiel "Ziggy" Ansah? Personally I love what I've seen from him. I think he has a chance to be one of the best players in this draft. To me he moves so well, and with such power, that I was surprised he was listed at his size (I thought he ran like a much smaller player would). I can't believe this kid has only played football for a short amount of time...he just looks like he was born to play football. 

Def a blue chip talent with elite upside... would be shocked if he makes it outside the Top 10.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Same here. Ansah is a physical freak like Jordan. I think he goes top 12.

mb...I don't recall you asking that question but I will take a stab at it...I like bailey at the top of your list! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

I really like Jenkins a lot, but the weight issue is a concern.  His weight will go down, but does he have the will and discipline to maintain it. Don't get me wrong, it is possible now he might have increased quickness to penetrate with the same strength.  This is a guy that will command a double team when he is motivated. Many mocks have him in the 2nd round, I think NE would have to move into the top forty picks, if they don't use their 1st rd pick.     Georgia’s John Jenkins drops 38 pounds, down to 332 Posted by Michael David Smith on April 6, 2013, 2:08 PM EDT

John Jenkins AP

John Jenkins, a defensive tackle from Georgia who is viewed as a potential first-round NFL draft pick, says he has worked so hard since the end of the college football season that he’s lost 38 pounds and is now down to 332.

Jenkins’ camp has released a video of him running on a treadmill, showing off impressive speed for a man who is, they say, down to 332.

Not many people can refer to themselves as “down to 332,” but Jenkins isn’t built like many people. He weighed in at the Scouting Combine at 343, which was down from the 354 he was listed at in Georgia’s football program. But Jenkins told the Macon Telegraph that Georgia’s football program was being charitable, and he was actually heavier than 354.

“When you’re in the moment, you don’t want the negative feedback,” Jenkins said. “The program stuck behind me, kept saying I was 354, when in all reality I was 370.”

Even with that extra 38 pounds of body fat, Jenkins moved well for a big guy. But for Jenkins to be a first-round pick, some NFL team will need to be convinced that he can stay closer to 332.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Interesting view from some scouts (below) on Ansah, in the end he has all the tools including smarts.  They say he is cramming like it was finals trying to absorb everything about football. He will go top 10, unfortunately for NE fans, I think the Jets will take him if he drops to them.

While this speaks to Ansah's unbelievable athleticism, it also raises an important question. If Ansah isn't willing to dedicate himself fully to the biggest test of his life, how important is football to him? Ansah has only played the game for three years and has just one season under his belt as a starter. While he played with tremendous effort his breakout 2012 campaign, some scouts question if he will play with the same intensity once he signs his contract. Considering his upside and versatility, it might take a team inside the top 10 to find out. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

I really like Jenkins a lot, but the weight issue is a concern.  His weight will go down, but does he have the will and discipline to maintain it. Don't get me wrong, it is possible now he might have increased quickness to penetrate with the same strength.  This is a guy that will command a double team when he is motivated. Many mocks have him in the 2nd round, I think NE would have to move into the top forty picks, if they don't use their 1st rd pick.     Georgia’s John Jenkins drops 38 pounds, down to 332Posted by Michael David Smith on April 6, 2013, 2:08 PM EDT

John Jenkins AP

John Jenkins, a defensive tackle from Georgia who is viewed as a potential first-round NFL draft pick, says he has worked so hard since the end of the college football season that he’s lost 38 pounds and is now down to 332.

Jenkins’ camp has released a video of him running on a treadmill, showing off impressive speed for a man who is, they say, down to 332.

Not many people can refer to themselves as “down to 332,” but Jenkins isn’t built like many people. He weighed in at the Scouting Combine at 343, which was down from the 354 he was listed at in Georgia’s football program. But Jenkins told the Macon Telegraph that Georgia’s football program was being charitable, and he was actually heavier than 354.

“When you’re in the moment, you don’t want the negative feedback,” Jenkins said. “The program stuck behind me, kept saying I was 354, when in all reality I was 370.”

Even with that extra 38 pounds of body fat, Jenkins moved well for a big guy. But for Jenkins to be a first-round pick, some NFL team will need to be convinced that he can stay closer to 332.

Did you catch the video on him running at his new weight? Impressive for a really big man. Link below if anyone is interested.

http://telly.com/BH99S6

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

One of three players that I think have the strongest chance being really special in the long term. The other two of the three I think will be special are Patterson and Jordan. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I really like Jenkins a lot, but the weight issue is a concern.  His weight will go down, but does he have the will and discipline to maintain it. Don't get me wrong, it is possible now he might have increased quickness to penetrate with the same strength.  This is a guy that will command a double team when he is motivated. Many mocks have him in the 2nd round, I think NE would have to move into the top forty picks, if they don't use their 1st rd pick.     Georgia’s John Jenkins drops 38 pounds, down to 332Posted by Michael David Smith on April 6, 2013, 2:08 PM EDT

John Jenkins AP

I do not understand why some people rate him a second rounder. He's a rare specimen just on size. His athleticism at that size is extraordinary. Maybe some people think of him as another Poe. The difference is he played in the SEC and he's made impact. 

I think he is way underrrated. He was always next t Geathers, who also happens to be NT - a slower one at that. Had Georgia put a penetrating DT next to Jenkins I think they would have been scary. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

John Jenkins AP

Did you catch the video on him running at his new weight? Impressive for a really big man. Link below if anyone is interested.

http://telly.com/BH99S6

The link above is not of Jenkins.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

In response to bredbru's comment:

I honestly don't think the Pats will go DT with any of its top 3 picks.  I don't have anything concrete to base this on other than my gut feeling that BB is happy with Love and that he sees his DL as a strength.  I do see us potentially going DE, specifically Margus Hunt with our first pick.  I think he is too freakishly big and athletic for BB to pass on.  He will love him immediately on special teams blocking kicks and as a back up to Jones and Ninko. 

I don't see us taking a DB in the first.  We have blown far too many picks on DBs over recent years and BB should be a little gun shy about pulling the trigger on one high again in this year's draft.  But we learn tomorrow (I think) about Dennard.  I made the case for a guy like Minter, if he makes it, and for Hunt.  Now, I think this could be the year of the shocker - BB drafts a WR.  Keenan Allen if he's there.

Speaking of Minter, do you think BB might make a play for recently released Rolando McClain?  This guy was once considered the safest pick in the draft.  Can he be turned around and into something special?

But odds are we trade back and have to wait until day 2 where he will still get a decent WO or two. 

hey faucet,

"I honestly don't think the Pats will go DT with any of its top 3 picks.  I don't have anything concrete to base this on other than my gut feeling that BB is happy with Love and that he sees his DL as a strength.  "

teh dts available for good value and our lack of interest seem to support this.

"He will love him immediately on special teams blocking kicks"

the same thought occured to me.

i feel hunt needs some strenght though and development. if we didint need receivers id lvoe to go carrading and hunt. wiht our current need and where hunt is projhected, id rather have carradine then wr, then in 3rd wr or cb, dt, ol. safety, cover lb

Hunt needs strength???  He threw back 225 thiry-eight times!!  This was tops for all DEs at the Combine and with those long arms, that's even more impressive.

Point taken on WR need.  I keep thinking this could be the year BB finally drafts one in the first but I think we could get Hunt at 29 then still take two WRs, one in the 2rd or 3rd with the other in the 7th.  But I really believe we will be looking for a trading partner to move down.

I've seen Hunt ranked as low as #9 among DEs.  Personally I'd put him ahead of Montgomery, Carridine and Okafor which would move him to #6.  There won't be 6 DEs taken in the first so if we move back to the mid to late 30s we might still get him there and pick up another 3rd.

Hunt is strong but an unpolished gem at this point. He has all the potential in the world, and you can't teach his speed, strength or size. He like you said is a freakish athlete and still learning the game.

okafor, carradine I think are better than hunt at this point in time. Montgomery I don't care for. 

So, do you take an a more nfl ready player like okafor or carradine, or a guy that probably has some developing  to do but a huge upside in hunt? That is a tough question. i think carradine might go bottom of first, okafor top to middle of second and hunt because of his freakishness could go anywhere and maybe behind or ahead of these guys...in the end, I would be happy with any of these 3 kids. 

I think Hunt's upside is a great as Ziggy Ansah's.  Ziggy just blew everyone away at the Sr. Bowl where Hunt struggled at times setting the edge against the run. Anybody can have a great game.  I think it is very dangerous to draft Ziggy in the top 5 as most now have him on the strength of one game and loads of potential.

But if you look at the whole season, Hunt had better sack numbers where Ansah had more tackles.  I do think Hunt struggles against the run a bit.  Ansah had 60 tackles and only 4.5 sacks with only 1.5 sacks in his final 7 games against moderate competition.  Whereas Hunt had 32 tackles but 8 sacks against similar competition.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I honestly don't think the Pats will go DT with any of its top 3 picks.  I don't have anything concrete to base this on other than my gut feeling that BB is happy with Love and that he sees his DL as a strength.  I do see us potentially going DE, specifically Margus Hunt with our first pick.  I think he is too freakishly big and athletic for BB to pass on.  He will love him immediately on special teams blocking kicks and as a back up to Jones and Ninko. 

I don't see us taking a DB in the first.  We have blown far too many picks on DBs over recent years and BB should be a little gun shy about pulling the trigger on one high again in this year's draft.  But we learn tomorrow (I think) about Dennard.  I made the case for a guy like Minter, if he makes it, and for Hunt.  Now, I think this could be the year of the shocker - BB drafts a WR.  Keenan Allen if he's there.

Speaking of Minter, do you think BB might make a play for recently released Rolando McClain?  This guy was once considered the safest pick in the draft.  Can he be turned around and into something special?

But odds are we trade back and have to wait until day 2 where he will still get a decent WO or two. 

hey faucet,

"I honestly don't think the Pats will go DT with any of its top 3 picks.  I don't have anything concrete to base this on other than my gut feeling that BB is happy with Love and that he sees his DL as a strength.  "

i feel hunt needs some strenght though and development. if we didint need receivers id lvoe to go carrading and hunt. wiht our current need and where hunt is projhected, id rather have carradine then wr, then in 3rd wr or cb, dt, ol. safety, cover lb

Hunt needs strength???  He threw back 225 thiry-eight times!!  This was tops for all DEs at the Combine and with those long arms, that's even more impressive.

Point taken on WR need.  I keep thinking this could be the year BB finally drafts one in the first but I think we could get Hunt at 29 then still take two WRs, one in the 2rd or 3rd with the other in the 7th.  But I really believe we will be looking for a trading partner to move down.

I've seen Hunt ranked as low as #9 among DEs.  Personally I'd put him ahead of Montgomery, Carridine and Okafor which would move him to #6.  There won't be 6 DEs taken in the first so if we move back to the mid to late 30s we might still get him there and pick up another 3rd.

Hunt is strong but an unpolished gem at this point. He has all the potential in the world, and you can't teach his speed, strength or size. He like you said is a freakish athlete and still learning the game.

okafor, carradine I think are better than hunt at this point in time. Montgomery I don't care for. 

So, do you take an a more nfl ready player like okafor or carradine, or a guy that probably has some developing  to do but a huge upside in hunt? That is a tough question. i think carradine might go bottom of first, okafor top to middle of second and hunt because of his freakishness could go anywhere and maybe behind or ahead of these guys...in the end, I would be happy with any of these 3 kids. 

I think Hunt's upside is a great as Ziggy Ansah's.  Ziggy just blew everyone away at the Sr. Bowl where Hunt struggled at times setting the edge against the run. Anybody can have a great game.  I think it is very dangerous to draft Ziggy in the top 5 as most now have him on the strength of one game and loads of potential.

But if you look at the whole season, Hunt had better sack numbers where Ansah had more tackles.  I do think Hunt struggles against the run a bit.  Ansah had 60 tackles and only 4.5 sacks with only 1.5 sacks in his final 7 games against moderate competition.  Whereas Hunt had 32 tackles but 8 sacks against similar competition.

Good thing NWE does not have to choose between the two. Ansah will be long gone by 29. Question is if the Pats take Hunt. Frankly I prefer a DT. But if BB takes Hunt, I would not complain at all. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

hey faucet,

If he meant functional playing strength I could see what he meant. We all know the history of the bench press combine champions over the years. It is not pretty.

My ONLY issue with Hunt is that he was not dominant in the one on one drills during practice week. Those drills heavily favor the DL and they should win the majority of them with all that open space. Especially the DL's that have the reputation for being ultra athletic.

Me personally, I would NOT take Hunt over Okafor, nor Carradine if he is fully A-OK health wise.

I am leaning your way as far as DT however. When I look at the likes of Kyle Love, the DT's in the range of discussion are only maginally better athletes. A UDFA to a 1st round pick is a large leap to only get a maginally better athlete imo.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

One of three players that I think have the strongest chance being really special in the long term. The other two of the three I think will be special are Patterson and Jordan. 

I kind of have the opposite opinion on Jordan, I can see him being a bust. To me he lacks pass rush moves and gets moved in the running game. He doesn't look like he does much of anything but go wide on his rushes...now he's big and fast, but I just don't see what all the hype is about with him.

I like Patterson - I can see him turning into something.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Interesting view from some scouts (below) on Ansah, in the end he has all the tools including smarts.  They say he is cramming like it was finals trying to absorb everything about football. He will go top 10, unfortunately for NE fans, I think the Jets will take him if he drops to them.

While this speaks to Ansah's unbelievable athleticism, it also raises an important question. If Ansah isn't willing to dedicate himself fully to the biggest test of his life, how important is football to him? Ansah has only played the game for three years and has just one season under his belt as a starter. While he played with tremendous effort his breakout 2012 campaign, some scouts question if he will play with the same intensity once he signs his contract. Considering his upside and versatility, it might take a team inside the top 10 to find out. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

I'd really hate to see the Jets get Ansah. The question about this kid perhaps not dedicating himself once he gets the big contract can probably be said about most prospects. Watching the way he plays with so much intensity and toughness, I think he looks like a safe pick (with the talent as well).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I look at Jordan as more of a 34 OLB while Ansah a 43 DE. For someone so raw, Jordan did a pretty good job playing what IMO is the more complex role. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

John Jenkins AP

I do not understand why some people rate him a second rounder. He's a rare specimen just on size. His athleticism at that size is extraordinary. Maybe some people think of him as another Poe. The difference is he played in the SEC and he's made impact. 

I think he is way underrrated. He was always next t Geathers, who also happens to be NT - a slower one at that. Had Georgia put a penetrating DT next to Jenkins I think they would have been scary. 

I am not a fan of his. He got down to something like 345 for the combine but played at something around 360+. Watch the clips of his games and pay attention to the qtr. You would expect a player of his mass to at a minimum, consistently, be able to anchor against a double. He does not from the clips I have watched. However the most troubling thing for me is that as the game clips slip from 1st to 2nd to 3rd qtr, etc. He gets progressively worse to where a single lineman starts pushing him all over the place.

Other times, a single player does not even need to push him back but merely shield him from a play and he does not fight against the resistance to push thorugh to right where the play went past him. WHile he might not have been moved off the spot he did not collapse down on the play either.

Does he flash, yes, just too inconsitent for me and the weight and being pushed around are the big yikes for me. At least as a 1st rounder. I would like him more if they were able to get him with their 2nd pick.

Although as faucet said I am not fully convinced they will even look at DT.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

John Jenkins AP

I am not a fan of his. He got down to something like 345 for the combine but played at something around 360+. Watch the clips of his games and pay attention to the qtr. You would expect a player of his mass to at a minimum, consistently, be able to anchor against a double. He does not from the clips I have watched. However the most troubling thing for me is that as the game clips slip from 1st to 2nd to 3rd qtr, etc. He gets progressively worse to where a single lineman starts pushing him all over the place.

Other times, a single player does not even need to push him back but merely shield him from a play and he does not fight against the resistance to push thorugh to right where the play went past him. WHile he might not have been moved off the spot he did not collapse down on the play either.

Does he flash, yes, just too inconsitent for me and the weight and being pushed around are the big yikes for me. At least as a 1st rounder. I would like him more if they were able to get him with their 2nd pick.

Hey Low,

I assume you viewed a youtube of his. And by your description, I will guess that you viewed the one of the SECCG against Alabama. He did not look good in that game. That said, I think it points more to how good Alabama's interior OL was. That was the game that made me a big believer in Warmack and Jones.

I suggest you take a look at the ones vs Missouri, vs Auburn, vs. So Carolina. I think he looked much better than he did vs Alabama. 

That said, if you look at my analysis of DT, it does reflect a belief that Hankins and S Williams are closer to playing regularly or starting in the NFL than Jenkins is. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Faucet, not the talent evaluator of others here, but I do live here in the Bay Area.  Reports in local papers have not favored McClain.  He was a high pick but off field problems and evidently attitude and effort issues have led to less and less playing time.  The present regime wants him gone.  I myself wondered if he could be rehabilitated because of his pedigree.  Who knows what Pats coaching could do...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

hey faucet,

carradine clearly in front. then you coould make argument for okafor vs hunt. hnt is a risk imo 9but i also said he coul be jj watt like. he needs more lower body power imo (and obviously football accumen). he is also oolder than okafor obviously.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

hey faucet,

i agree you prob get hunt in second easy (with a move up).

re rd 2 wr, as long as we get a rogers, dobson like wr

again re hunt, i believe he needs lower body power to be elite pass rusher and run stopper (from what i saw on film).

carradine was rated top 10 draft pck before knee and you have hunt ahead of him?

thats saying something.

i cannot agree of course.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

This late night reading of blogs is quite interesting. I have said it for awhile now the Patriots will not be picking at #29. They will either trade up or out of the first round completely. So no matter which player or players I would like to see on the Patriots I'm not holding my breath for any one player or for that all exciting first round pk., so with all due respect to all of the ardent Patriots fans of which I'm one.Don't bother watching the first round because we ain't selecting womever it is we want. Good luck in the prediction of which of player will be the first choice of The Patriots,I'm just going to predict the round #2.

I agree with you that trading down is likely.  We've never had fewer than 6 picks before under BB.  I could see us also trading Mallett on draft day, perhaps for a high 2nd, originally I'd say Cleveland but they don't have a 2nd so perhaps swap 3rds this year and get their 2nd next year?  I haven't heard of any other teams interested in Mallett.

As for trading back, it would usually be for teams wanting a QB.  I'm on the fence thinking there will be any QBs taken in the top 15.  If that happens we could see several teams like BUF, ARI, JAX and even the NYJ looking to move into the back of round 1 to land their choice of Smith, Nassib, Barkley or Manuel so that they can get that 5th contract year.  That alone would be worth watching.

still think 2-3 qbs in rd 1

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

he was my #1 player to pats early on when he was projected to be a rd2 to low rd 1 pick.

now hes expected to be a 5-8 pick. 

i agree with you in a year or 2 he could be one of the best players out of this draft

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

John Jenkins AP

agree seattle, he was teh dt i had selected for the pats rd 1 pick near the beginning of teh thread

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

John Jenkins AP

Hey Low,

I assume you viewed a youtube of his. And by your description, I will guess that you viewed the one of the SECCG against Alabama. He did not look good in that game. That said, I think it points more to how good Alabama's interior OL was. That was the game that made me a big believer in Warmack and Jones.

I suggest you take a look at the ones vs Missouri, vs Auburn, vs. So Carolina. I think he looked much better than he did vs Alabama. 

That said, if you look at my analysis of DT, it does reflect a belief that Hankins and S Williams are closer to playing regularly or starting in the NFL than Jenkins is. 

yep

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

hey faucet,

Good thing NWE does not have to choose between the two. Ansah will be long gone by 29. Question is if the Pats take Hunt. Frankly I prefer a DT. But if BB takes Hunt, I would not complain at all. 

i prefer the de carradine, jones, okafor, hunt