***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to mthurl's comment:

The Pats had three receivers in last week for interviews...Kenny Stills, Markus Wheaton, and Woods.

I watched a lot of stuff on all three, to me Kenny Stills impressed me a lot. Anyone have any idea where Stills will be drafted? Second round...high second? Obviously Woods is the higher rated prospect out of all three, and Wheaton has got a lot of good reviews, but I'm not impressed all that much with Wheaton.

woods has been on my list . not the other 2.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Below is my latest Mock... I'm projecting what I, as well as a lot of fans would like to see... an upgrade to the DL and double dipping to add perimeter taletn at both WR and CB.  Kayvon Webster is a new name that I found while researching potential Day 3 CB's... certainly looks like a BB type CB due to his physicality, speed and triangle #'s:

Let me know what you think:

Rd 1- DT Jesse Williams (6-3 320)- Alabama:   I haven't moved off of this pick in a long, long time... I just think his size, power, versatility, pedigree and upside makes too much sense if he's available.  Alternatives: DE/OLB- Tank Carradine - DT- Sylvester Williams UNC - WR- DeAndre Hopkins - WR- Keenan Allen - DT- John Hankins   - DL- Datone Jones

Rd 2- WR Stedman Bailey (5-10 193)- WVU:  As underrated a kid as there is in this class, IMO.  He looks like a complete WR to me:  Very good route runner, seperates consistently, excellent hands and ball skills, good quicks/RAC ability, competitive, can play on the outside, productive, good effort as a blocker, playmaker.  Alternatives:   - CB- DJ Hayden  - CB/S- Johnthan Banks  - WR- Quinton Patton  - CB- Logan Ryan  -   CB Darius Slay - WR-Markus Wheaton  

Rd 3- CB/PR Tyrann Mathieu (5-9 186)- LSU:  Extremely competitive and aggressive kid that brings  versatility, physicality and a lot of playmaking potential to the table, both as a defender and return man.    Alternatives:  - WR- Da’Rick Rogers - S-Shamarko Thomas - S- Josh Evans  - CB- Dwayne Gratz - WR- Ryan Swope  - DE/OLB- Michael Buchanan

Rd 7- CB- Kayvon Webster (5-10 192)- South Florida:  Looks like the prototype BB CB prospect… physical, fast, very good triangle #’s and is a very good open field tackler.  Alternative:  CB/S- Micah Hyde - DL- Kapron Lewis-Moore - DL- Quinton Dial - S- Orhian Johnson  

Rd 7-WR TJ Moe (5-11 204)- Mizzou:   A very good quicks/COD type kid that projects to the slot in the NFL.   Alternatives:  RB- Spencer Ware - TE- Michael Williams - WR- Mark Harrison - OL- Tanner Hawkinson

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Below is my latest Mock... I'm projecting what I, as well as a lot of fans would like to see... an upgrade to the DL and double dipping to add perimeter taletn at both WR and CB.  Kayvon Webster is a new name that I found while researching potential Day 3 CB's... certainly looks like a BB type CB due to his physicality, speed and triangle #'s:

Rd 1- DT Jesse Williams (6-3 320)- Alabama:   I haven't moved off of this pick in a long, long time... I just think his size, power, versatility, pedigree and upside makes too much sense if he's available.  Alternatives: DE/OLB- Tank Carradine - DT- Sylvester Williams UNC - WR- DeAndre Hopkins - WR- Keenan Allen - DT- John Hankins   - DL- Datone Jones

Rd 2- WR Stedman Bailey (5-10 193)- WVU:  As underrated a kid as there is in this class, IMO.  He looks like a complete WR to me:  Very good route runner, seperates consistently, excellent hands and ball skills, good quicks/RAC ability, competitive, can play on the outside, productive, good effort as a blocker, playmaker.  Alternatives:   - CB- DJ Hayden  - CB/S- Johnthan Banks  - WR- Quinton Patton  - CB- Logan Ryan  -   CB Darius Slay - WR-Markus Wheaton  

Rd 3- CB/PR Tyrann Mathieu (5-9 186)- LSU:  Extremely competitive and aggressive kid that brings  versatility, physicality and a lot of playmaking potential to the table, both as a defender and return man.    Alternatives:  - WR- Da’Rick Rogers - S-Shamarko Thomas - S- Josh Evans  - CB- Dwayne Gratz - WR- Ryan Swope  - DE/OLB- Michael Buchanan

Rd 7- CB- Kayvon Webster (5-10 192)- South Florida:  Looks like the prototype BB CB prospect… physical, fast, very good triangle #’s and is a very solid tackler.  Alternative:  CB/S- Micah Hyde - DL- Kapron Lewis-Moore - DL- Quinton Dial - S- Orhian Johnson  

Rd 7-WR TJ Moe (5-11 204)- Mizzou:   A very good quicks/COD type kid that projects to the slot in the NFL.   Alternatives:  RB- Spencer Ware - TE- Michael Williams - WR- Mark Harrison - OL- Tanner Hawkinson

I'll use some of your listed players: I can't see NE selecting 2 WRs in the 1st 3 rounds, unles they trade back and accumulate picks.  They still could sign Edelman and Nelson then grab a WR.  They could also sign an FA CB. Thye could go 1st rd CB because Talib i a 1 yr contract and they are not sure what they have with Dowling.  They just do not have enough picks to fill needs and depth.

RD 1:DT Jesse Williams

RD2: WR Q. Patton

RD3: LB Trevardo Williams

RD7: WR Mark Harrison

RD7: CB Brandon McGee

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Trade Ryan Mallett for Phil Taylor, NT, Browns

1st round –trade for 2nd, 4th and 5th round picks

2nd round (from trade) -Margus Hunt, DE, SMU or Tank Carradine, DE, Florida State

2nd round -  Da’Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech

3rd Round – Aaron Dobson, WR, Marshall or Tyrann Mathieu*, CB/S, LSU
    4th round (from trade)- Barrett Jones, C/G/T, Alabama

5th round(from trade) – Bennie Logan DT, LSU or Nick Kasa, TE, Colorado (if Gronk is not healthy)

7th round - Mark Harrison, WR, Rutgers  or Braden Hansen, G, BYU or Braden Brown, OT/TE, BYU
    7th Round -
    Peter Lalich, QB, California (PA)

UDFA- 

Graham Pocic, C, Illinois

Levine Toilolo, TE, Stanford

Lucas Reed, TE, New Mexico

Ray Ray Armstrong, S, Faulkner University

Demetrius McCray, CB, App State

Luke Marquardt, OT, Azusa Pacific

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:

Trade Ryan Mallett for Phil Taylor, NT, Browns

1st round –trade for 2nd, 4th and 5th round picks

2nd round (from trade) -Margus Hunt, DE, SMU or Tank Carradine, DE, Florida State

2nd round -  Da’Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech

3rd Round – Aaron Dobson, WR, Marshall or Tyrann Mathieu*, CB/S, LSU
    4th round (from trade)- Barrett Jones, C/G/T, Alabama

5th round(from trade) – Bennie Logan DT, LSU or Nick Kasa, TE, Colorado (if Gronk is not healthy)

7th round - Mark Harrison, WR, Rutgers  or Braden Hansen, G, BYU or Braden Brown, OT/TE, BYU
    7th Round -
    Peter Lalich, QB, California (PA)

UDFA- 

Graham Pocic, C, Illinois

Levine Toilolo, TE, Stanford

Lucas Reed, TE, New Mexico

Ray Ray Armstrong, S, Faulkner University

Demetrius McCray, CB, App State

Luke Marquardt, OT, Azusa Pacific

Nate, I like how the scenario plays out.

1. We know there is interest in Mallett, how much TBD?

2. We know BB will move out or up if the value is or is not there.

3. IMO, I think Barrett Jones will go in the 3rd round, I think some team like SF could collect him in the second.

4. No one is talking OL that much, you are, good job.

5. I wouldn't take Mathieu, too much risk for me.

6. Lalich is a solid pick.  Dayne Crist might be another.

7. Still would like 320-330lb DL.  Although Logan is solid, but I am not sure if he makes it to the fifth.

8. UDFA is another animal, but you have some players that I think will make a 53 man roster in the NFL.  Lucas Reed is rising an looks like a draftable player.  I'm a fan of Ray Ray, but he needs his head on straight. Marquardt may get drafted, but he will make a PS at least.

This is why I like this thread compared to others on BDC.  We always have people with ideas.  Good stuff Nate. Thanks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

The Pats had three receivers in last week for interviews...Kenny Stills, Markus Wheaton, and Woods.

I watched a lot of stuff on all three, to me Kenny Stills impressed me a lot. Anyone have any idea where Stills will be drafted? Second round...high second? Obviously Woods is the higher rated prospect out of all three, and Wheaton has got a lot of good reviews, but I'm not impressed all that much with Wheaton.

If I had to chose between the 3 they brought in I'd take Wheaton. To me he'd bing the most to the table and the best looking college production. Stills is interesting though and his off-field issues will cause him to drop and we all know how much BB loves his guys that drop for the value. Then again Tate and Price fell too so not sure I like the value aspect as much

I agree with you, PE... I like this kid's game (and potential fit in NE) best on tape.   I think he has the best play speed, big play ability, and RAC ability out of the three.

You guys think so? I'll watch some of his stuff again - everything I saw showed he had good hands, but it looked like the corner was always all over him. He would catch something...and I kept thinking...ok, now I'm going to see his speed and quickness as he makes it around this guy - but he wouldn't. Then I watched his highlight stuff thinking I'd see some really impressive plays (and there was some), but even during that tape the corners were right on top of him.

I'll watch some more of his stuff.

This is what I see when I look at Stills. A good overall WR but no one that excites me or creates big plays. Just a solid overall WR that you know what you'd get out of week in and week out.

Wheaton though is more dynamic with the ball. You mentioned that he's typically given a large cushion which is true. I typically saw CB's 5-10yrds off of Wheaton and he is pretty shifty and can create separation when they don't give him cushion. The problem I see wit him, is th for his size he has a bit oftrouble with press. It's not a visible in college because of the quality of CB's they need to play off of him or risk letting him get behind then with no over the top help but in the Pro's he might have issues getting off the line in press

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Keeping with WR theme, this is one reason I like Dobson and Patton; they catch the ball.

John Pollard @JPSTATS

Back on the grid. Top prospect WRs ranked by best (lowest) Drop %. Min 40 Pass Targets in 2012. pic.twitter.com/VNE2IHgATn

3:53 AM - 29 Mar 13 View image on Twitter  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Thanks for the info... check out Ace too, love this kids short area quicks and RAC ability... he also might be the best PR man in the draft.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

I think Stills could go in the 3rd or 4th round, maybe even later. I think a lot of it depends if we see another run on WR like we did the year we took Taylor price. In the 3rd, there are several I like better than stills who should be on the board. I personally like woods over stills, Wheaton I think is the 3rd in that group.

someone will have to keep me honest here, but I think all three primarily played the slot. 

I'm hoping BB gets ahead of any potential run on receivers and gets the guy he wants in Rd 1 or 2... try to avoid sloppy seventeenth's late in Rd 3.

They certainly gambled that year and got caught by it but thats just my opinion.

Historically, however, the Patriots have been good about taking the guy they want when they want(right or wrong) even if perceived too early by others.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Keeping with WR theme, this is one reason I like Dobson and Patton; they catch the ball.

John Pollard @JPSTATS

Back on the grid. Top prospect WRs ranked by best (lowest) Drop %. Min 40 Pass Targets in 2012. pic.twitter.com/VNE2IHgATn

Thanks for the info... check out Ace too, love this kids short area quicks and RAC ability... he also might be the best PR man in the draft.

I like him.  If we can get some extra picks I wouldn't mind picking him up. He would definitely create some challenges for the defense as a Slot guy or coming out of the backfield.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Rd 7- CB- Kayvon Webster (5-10 192)- South Florida:  Looks like the prototype BB CB prospect… physical, fast, very good triangle #’s and is a very good open field tackler.  Alternative:  CB/S- Micah Hyde - DL- Kapron Lewis-Moore - DL- Quinton Dial - S- Orhian Johnson  

Stedman Baily looks real good to me...hard to tell if it is because he has a good QB throwing to him, but he still looks legit. The videos I watched of him show a guy that seems to do everything well. Is it me, or does his arms look very long? He lines up and all I see are these arms just dangling by his sides.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Stedman Baily looks real good to me...hard to tell if it is because he has a good QB throwing to him, but he still looks legit. The videos I watched of him show a guy that seems to do everything well.

That's my feeling on him... tempos his routes well, seperates consistently, plucks with his hands away from his body, picks up yards after the catch... certainly having a quality college QB throwing you the football will help maximize production, but this does what's asked of him and does it well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

jj,

I'm curious of the accuracy of this data... I mean, I just watched a 4 min clip of Dobson and saw him drop at least (3) balls that hit him in the hands... now, I don't know if these were his only (3) drops on the year, but the "0%" would seem to be inaccurate.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to Faucetman's comment:

I honestly don't think the Pats will go DT with any of its top 3 picks.  I don't have anything concrete to base this on other than my gut feeling that BB is happy with Love and that he sees his DL as a strength.  I do see us potentially going DE, specifically Margus Hunt with our first pick.  I think he is too freakishly big and athletic for BB to pass on.  He will love him immediately on special teams blocking kicks and as a back up to Jones and Ninko. 

I don't see us taking a DB in the first.  We have blown far too many picks on DBs over recent years and BB should be a little gun shy about pulling the trigger on one high again in this year's draft.  But we learn tomorrow (I think) about Dennard.  I made the case for a guy like Minter, if he makes it, and for Hunt.  Now, I think this could be the year of the shocker - BB drafts a WR.  Keenan Allen if he's there.

Speaking of Minter, do you think BB might make a play for recently released Rolando McClain?  This guy was once considered the safest pick in the draft.  Can he be turned around and into something special?

But odds are we trade back and have to wait until day 2 where he will still get a decent WO or two. 

hey faucet,

"I honestly don't think the Pats will go DT with any of its top 3 picks.  I don't have anything concrete to base this on other than my gut feeling that BB is happy with Love and that he sees his DL as a strength.  "

teh dts available for good value and our lack of interest seem to support this.

"He will love him immediately on special teams blocking kicks"

the same thought occured to me.

i feel hunt needs some strenght though and development. if we didint need receivers id lvoe to go carrading and hunt. wiht our current need and where hunt is projhected, id rather have carradine then wr, then in 3rd wr or cb, dt, ol. safety, cover lb

Hunt needs strength???  He threw back 225 thiry-eight times!!  This was tops for all DEs at the Combine and with those long arms, that's even more impressive.

Point taken on WR need.  I keep thinking this could be the year BB finally drafts one in the first but I think we could get Hunt at 29 then still take two WRs, one in the 2rd or 3rd with the other in the 7th.  But I really believe we will be looking for a trading partner to move down.

I've seen Hunt ranked as low as #9 among DEs.  Personally I'd put him ahead of Montgomery, Carridine and Okafor which would move him to #6.  There won't be 6 DEs taken in the first so if we move back to the mid to late 30s we might still get him there and pick up another 3rd.

i agree you prob get hunt in second easy (with a move up).

re rd 2 wr, as long as we get a rogers, dobson like wr

again re hunt, i believe he needs lower body power to be elite pass rusher and run stopper (from what i saw on film).

carradine was rated top 10 draft pck before knee and you have hunt ahead of him?

thats saying something.

i cannot agree of course.

RE Carridine vs. Hunt.  Carridine certainly came out of nowhere and had an amazing senior year, better numbers than Hunt.  But I always worry about taking injured players, we've been burned too often doing that.  I look at Hunt and see raw freakish athletism.  The man is 6-8, 277 and ran a 4.53!!  

You're concerned about lower body power?  Hunt did 121" in the broad (5th best for DEs), and 34.5 in the vert (T-4th best).  Those are measurements of lower body strength and explosiveness. 

Honestly, I have Tank and Hunt virtually tied on my board but the extra 4" of height for Hunt and injury factor of Tank has me giving Hunt the slight edge.  I would be happy with either though, especially if they can be had with a trade down.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Hey Faucet!  I've been saying for the past few months that Hunt is too raw and too risky to take in the first round, but that he would be worth the gamble in the second.  As we get closer to draft day, it is looking more and more to me like Hunt will likely be gone in the late first or early second.  You've sold me and I now agree that Hunt would be a very good pick as early as #29.  You're right, his lenth/strength/athleticism is an extremely rare combination, and as long as he is a coachable guy (and it sounds like he is) then I see no reason why he shouldn't be a very good, if not great DE in the NFL.  I'm on board with Hunt in the first if we do in fact go that route.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

hey MB what do u think about this kid? Brandon Williams DT, Missouri Southern State.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Hey Faucet!  I've been saying for the past few months that Hunt is too raw and too risky to take in the first round, but that he would be worth the gamble in the second.  As we get closer to draft day, it is looking more and more to me like Hunt will likely be gone in the late first or early second.  You've sold me and I now agree that Hunt would be a very good pick as early as #29.  You're right, his lenth/strength/athleticism is an extremely rare combination, and as long as he is a coachable guy (and it sounds like he is) then I see no reason why he shouldn't be a very good, if not great DE in the NFL.  I'm on board with Hunt in the first if we do in fact go that route.

raw in theory is okay.

raw, 25 yrs old, first round, not good against the run = somehow does not sound right all together

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

John Pollard @JPSTATS

jj,

I'm curious of the accuracy of this data... I mean, I just watched a 4 min clip of Dobson and saw him drop at least (3) balls that hit him in the hands... now, I don't know if these were his only (3) drops on the year, but the "0%" would seem to be inaccurate.

Thanks Faucet.  This was from an article. The data table from Stats info. http://www.stats.com/index.asp. (pay site)   I didn't have access to the table just the copy in the article. You know numbers can be manipulated.  So film doesn't lie, good check. Thanks.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

I honestly don't think the Pats will go DT with any of its top 3 picks.  I don't have anything concrete to base this on other than my gut feeling that BB is happy with Love and that he sees his DL as a strength.  I do see us potentially going DE, specifically Margus Hunt with our first pick.  I think he is too freakishly big and athletic for BB to pass on.  He will love him immediately on special teams blocking kicks and as a back up to Jones and Ninko. 

I don't see us taking a DB in the first.  We have blown far too many picks on DBs over recent years and BB should be a little gun shy about pulling the trigger on one high again in this year's draft.  But we learn tomorrow (I think) about Dennard.  I made the case for a guy like Minter, if he makes it, and for Hunt.  Now, I think this could be the year of the shocker - BB drafts a WR.  Keenan Allen if he's there.

Speaking of Minter, do you think BB might make a play for recently released Rolando McClain?  This guy was once considered the safest pick in the draft.  Can he be turned around and into something special?

But odds are we trade back and have to wait until day 2 where he will still get a decent WO or two. 

hey faucet,

"I honestly don't think the Pats will go DT with any of its top 3 picks.  I don't have anything concrete to base this on other than my gut feeling that BB is happy with Love and that he sees his DL as a strength.  "

teh dts available for good value and our lack of interest seem to support this.

"He will love him immediately on special teams blocking kicks"

the same thought occured to me.

i feel hunt needs some strenght though and development. if we didint need receivers id lvoe to go carrading and hunt. wiht our current need and where hunt is projhected, id rather have carradine then wr, then in 3rd wr or cb, dt, ol. safety, cover lb

Hunt needs strength???  He threw back 225 thiry-eight times!!  This was tops for all DEs at the Combine and with those long arms, that's even more impressive.

Point taken on WR need.  I keep thinking this could be the year BB finally drafts one in the first but I think we could get Hunt at 29 then still take two WRs, one in the 2rd or 3rd with the other in the 7th.  But I really believe we will be looking for a trading partner to move down.

I've seen Hunt ranked as low as #9 among DEs.  Personally I'd put him ahead of Montgomery, Carridine and Okafor which would move him to #6.  There won't be 6 DEs taken in the first so if we move back to the mid to late 30s we might still get him there and pick up another 3rd.

i agree you prob get hunt in second easy (with a move up).

re rd 2 wr, as long as we get a rogers, dobson like wr

again re hunt, i believe he needs lower body power to be elite pass rusher and run stopper (from what i saw on film).

carradine was rated top 10 draft pck before knee and you have hunt ahead of him?

thats saying something.

i cannot agree of course.

RE Carridine vs. Hunt.  Carridine certainly came out of nowhere and had an amazing senior year, better numbers than Hunt.  But I always worry about taking injured players, we've been burned too often doing that.  I look at Hunt and see raw freakish athletism.  The man is 6-8, 277 and ran a 4.53!!  

You're concerned about lower body power?  Hunt did 121" in the broad (5th best for DEs), and 34.5 in the vert (T-4th best).  Those are measurements of lower body strength and explosiveness. 

Honestly, I have Tank and Hunt virtually tied on my board but the extra 4" of height for Hunt and injury factor of Tank has me giving Hunt the slight edge.  I would be happy with either though, especially if they can be had with a trade down.

i understand your thougths, and if you have them equal,  i get the value of the trade down. 

hunts vertical and broad display fast twich. power is not the same thing. not that he's weak in lower body, more strength there will allow him to do more against o lineman and defend the run better

if bb has them even close ( i dont, his upside is jj watt like, but much more bust or jag potential thank tank), i see him drooling over the st blocks hunt could make for the pats :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

raw in theory is okay.

raw, 25 yrs old, first round, not good against the run = somehow does not sound right all together

exactly. still potential is there.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm hearing an LB Collins linked to the Pats a lot lately. Looked him up and seems like a solid overall player. He's good at getting into the backfield and looks fairly impressive dropping back in coverage. Has solid numbers across the board as far as production with a solid track record and steady increase in production from year to year. Might be interesting to see if they move Hightower to 43 DE and have Collins as the main coverage LB opposite Mayo. Does anyone else know anything about this kid? 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Hey Wazzu,

Yeah, I'm really warming to the idea of Hunt, even as high as 29.  If you compare him to Chandler Jones, who we traded up to 21 to get, Hunt had better numbers than Jones in college.

Jones:

2011: 30 tackles, 7.5 TFL, 4.5 sacks

2010: 38 tackles, 9.5 TFL, 4.0 sacks

2009: 33 tackles, 10 TFL, 1.5 sacks

Hunt:

2012: 32 tackles, 11.5 TFL, 8.0 sacks

2011: 28 tackles, 7.5 TFL, 3.0 sacks

2010: 45 tackles, 6.5 TFL, 3.0 sacks

But, then again, we drafted Jake Bequette who also had similar or better numbers against tough SEC competition and he warmed the bench last year.

Bequette:

2011: 28 tackles, 10.5 TFL, 10 sacks

2010: 32 tackles, 8.5 TFL, 7 sacks

2009: 39 tackles, 9 TFL, 5.5 sacks

Our need at DE is moderate compared to WR and perhaps CB.  Still, I think Hunt would be a beast on special teams and has the chance to be as good, if not better, than Jones after a year or so.  He is bigger, stronger and faster than Jones.  The age thing doesn't worry me because you can only control your first round picks for 6 years anyway without using the tag.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I'm hearing an LB Collins linked to the Pats a lot lately. Looked him up and seems like a solid overall player. He's good at getting into the backfield and looks fairly impressive dropping back in coverage. Has solid numbers across the board as far as production with a solid track record and steady increase in production from year to year. Might be interesting to see if they move Hightower to 43 DE and have Collins as the main coverage LB opposite Mayo. Does anyone else know anything about this kid? 

Where did you see the linkage? 

Spikes is in the last year of his contract, so perhaps bb is planning ahead like he typically does. He could as you suggest move Hightower to end as well, but maybe as some speculated before, he may trade Spikes? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Hey Wazzu,

Yeah, I'm really warming to the idea of Hunt, even as high as 29.  If you compare him to Chandler Jones, who we traded up to 21 to get, Hunt had better numbers than Jones in college.

Jones:

Hunt:

But, then again, we drafted Jake Bequette who also had similar or better numbers against tough SEC competition and he warmed the bench last year.

Bequette:

Our need at DE is moderate compared to WR and perhaps CB.  Still, I think Hunt would be a beast on special teams and has the chance to be as good, if not better, than Jones after a year or so.  He is bigger, stronger and faster than Jones.  The age thing doesn't worry me because you can only control your first round picks for 6 years anyway without using the tag.

Good stuff, and interesting stats.  I'd forgotten about the age issue.  Honestly, that may be the only reason why I wouldn't love to see us spend #29 on him.  I just don't really like the thought of a 25 year old rookie, but I guess it wouldn't really be the end of the world either.  I guess I would much rather see us trade back a bit and spend a 2nd on Hunt, but as I've mentioned on several occasions, finding a team to make that trade with will not be easy and I have a feeling we will be forced to make a pick at #29.  Ultimately, there will be others available at 29 who I would rather see BB draft, but if he does take Hunt I will still be excited about the pick.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Hey Wazzu,

Jones:

Hunt:

Bequette:

Agree on the priority of need. A big, athletic end opposite jones along with a collapsing the pocket dt next Vince would do wonders for our defense. As you point out, bequette had solid numbers in the SEC, and I am wondering probably like everyone else if he breaks out this year. 

what concerns me is if he showed anything last year, he would have at least sniffed the field...guys like Cunningham, Francis, etc played ahead of him...ouch...a lot of folks on this board last year thought jones needed time to develop, and bequette might get ahead of him, but that quickly was flipped on its head. If jones was healthy all year,bi think he would have been DROY. 

assuming the pats do a bit more in FA and address so e needs, I would be okay with hunt but not at 29. I think we can have him in the 40's and hopefully acquire another mid round pick. 

Sections
Shortcuts