***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

Devin Taylor, SC  would probably be there in the 3rd where NE picks or the 4th.  6'6" 266, 4.72.  Many expected more out of him with Clowney being double teamed, but he could surprise.  He can play in space also better than most players his size.

You could go:

1st RD  - CB

2nd RD - WR

3rd  RD - DE

7th RD - DT

7th RD - LB

We have limited choices with 5 picks so those first 3 rounds should  to go to areas of need. (never know with BB)   Right now I think WR and CB are needs.  I am not sure what position trumps the others to be the third need: DE, DT, Coverage LB, OG.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

My list of needs in order:

1. WR...even if we get Sanders, I still feel we should draft a WR.

2. DT/DE...I would say DT first as we need to get Vince some help, but i'd be ok with DE too (if we get Abraham, then forget DE).

3. CB...mainly for depth purposes in case Talib goes down or Dennard regresses/faces off the field problems.

4. OL

5. Coverage LB...I feel they could find someone like this in the 7th.

I really think BB wants to move Mallet for a pick or a player to fill one of these needs...however he won't trade him just for the sake of trading him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Devin Taylor, SC  would probably be there in the 3rd where NE picks or the 4th.  6'6" 266, 4.72.  Many expected more out of him with Clowney being double teamed, but he could surprise.  He can play in space also better than most players his size.

You could go:

1st RD  - CB

2nd RD - WR

3rd  RD - DE

7th RD - DT

7th RD - LB

We have limited choices with 5 picks so those first 3 rounds should  to go to areas of need. (never know with BB)   Right now I think WR and CB are needs.  I am not sure what position trumps the others to be the third need: DE, DT, Coverage LB, OG.

Def a bit of an underperformer considering he's play across from Clowney and Ingram for the last couple of years... but he does have the intriguing size, length and triangle #'s... I have him as a Rd 3/4 kid as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

MB, i'm sure you have posted this before, so sorry if I am repeating a question...but how would you rank our needs in order? I personally have:

1. WR

2. DT/DE (if we get Abraham, i'd put DE at #5 or #6).

3. CB

4. OL

5. LB (one that can cover)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Hey guys.  Random thought on a Monday morning...I know that his draft stock has fallen like a rock in the past few months, but what if A&M's Damontre Moore is sitting there at 29?  Is he a guy we could take a chance on?  It was just a few months ago that he was thought to be a Top 5 lock, but some subpar workouts and off-field questions have really put a hurtin' on his draft stock.  The guy can really get after the passer though.  I would have to think that he would be a very tempting pick for BB if he is sitting there at #29.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Sources: Patriots at LSU today to work out Spencer Ware, Michael Ford, Russell Shepard
    by Aaron Wilson of Scout.com, April 8, 2013 at 11:42 am ET

Bill Belichick Profile

The New England Patriots have sent running backs coach Ivan Fears to LSU today to audition running backs Spencer Ware and Michael Ford as well as wide receiver Russell Shepard, according to sources close to the athletic department. 

Ware is a junior entry, a 5-foot-10, 228-pounder coming off a left hamstring injury. 

At his campus Pro Day workout, he bench pressed 225 pounds 17 times and had a 35 1/2 inch vertical leap, a 9-11 broad jump, a 4.27 20-yard shuttle and a 7.28 three-cone drill. 

Ware led the Tigers in rushing in 2011, but had 91 carries for 358 yards last season. 

As a sophomore, he rushed for 707 yards and seven touchdowns and was a second-team All-Southeastern Conference selection. 

Ford is a speedy 5-10, 210-pounder who ran the 40-yard dash in 4.42 seconds at the NFL scouting combine and bench pressed 225 pounds 25 times with a 38 1/2 inch vertical leap, a 10-10 broad jump and a 4.25 20-yard shuttle with a 6.87 three-cone drill. 

He rushed for 2,953 yards and 29 touchdowns as a high school senior in Louisiana. 

At LSU, he rushed for 235 yards and three touchdowns in 2010 with 756 yards and seven touchdowns in 2011 and 392 yards and three touchdowns last season. 

Shepard is a 6-1, 196-pounder who ran the 40-yard dash in 4.46 seconds with a 38 1/2 inch vertical leap and a 10-2 broad jump. 

He also worked out at defensive back. 

Shepard declared early for the draft after catching just 14 passes for 190 yards and four touchdowns as a junior.

Shepard was suspended early in the season. 

For more coverage of the NFL, go to profootball.scout.com. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Below is my latest Mock... I'm projecting what I, as well as a lot of fans would like to see... an upgrade to the DL and double dipping to add perimeter taletn at both WR and CB.  Kayvon Webster is a new name that I found while researching potential Day 3 CB's... certainly looks like a BB type CB due to his physicality, speed and triangle #'s:

Let me know what you think:

Rd 1- DT Jesse Williams (6-3 320)- Alabama:   I haven't moved off of this pick in a long, long time... I just think his size, power, versatility, pedigree and upside makes too much sense if he's available.  Alternatives: DE/OLB- Tank Carradine - DT- Sylvester Williams UNC - WR- DeAndre Hopkins - WR- Keenan Allen - DT- John Hankins   - DL- Datone Jones

Rd 2- WR Stedman Bailey (5-10 193)- WVU:  As underrated a kid as there is in this class, IMO.  He looks like a complete WR to me:  Very good route runner, seperates consistently, excellent hands and ball skills, good quicks/RAC ability, competitive, can play on the outside, productive, good effort as a blocker, playmaker.  Alternatives:   - CB- DJ Hayden  - CB/S- Johnthan Banks  - WR- Quinton Patton  - CB- Logan Ryan  -   CB Darius Slay - WR-Markus Wheaton  

Rd 3- CB/PR Tyrann Mathieu (5-9 186)- LSU:  Extremely competitive and aggressive kid that brings  versatility, physicality and a lot of playmaking potential to the table, both as a defender and return man.    Alternatives:  - WR- Da’Rick Rogers - S-Shamarko Thomas - S- Josh Evans  - CB- Dwayne Gratz - WR- Ryan Swope  - DE/OLB- Michael Buchanan

Rd 7- CB- Kayvon Webster (5-10 192)- South Florida:  Looks like the prototype BB CB prospect… physical, fast, very good triangle #’s and is a very good open field tackler.  Alternative:  CB/S- Micah Hyde - DL- Kapron Lewis-Moore - DL- Quinton Dial - S- Orhian Johnson  

Rd 7-WR TJ Moe (5-11 204)- Mizzou:   A very good quicks/COD type kid that projects to the slot in the NFL.   Alternatives:  RB- Spencer Ware - TE- Michael Williams - WR- Mark Harrison - OL- Tanner Hawkinson

BB must be reading your mocks. (ha ha)

2013 South Florida Pro Day: Kayvon Webster, CB (5-10 5/8, 197 pounds) - The agile cornerback clocked in a 4.17 in the short shuttle run and went 6.89 in the cone drill. He has already taken part in workouts with the New England Patriots and Carolina Panthers, and has one scheduled with the Miami Dolphins. Webster showed off his speed last month at the NFL Scouting Combine with a 4.41 40. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

Kayvon Webster, CB, South Florida – In a draft that goes 35-40 deep with draftable corners it’s easy to get overlooked and that’s what’s happened to Kayvon Webster. Possessing an NFL ready frame at 5’10.5″ 195 lbs and speed to burn (4.35), Webster has very quick feet and is a smooth, fluid mover in coverage. He plays with confidence and it shows in his aggressive coverage style. Webster has all the tools I want in an NFL corner; balance, change of direction, a smooth peddle, easy transition skills and speed to cover downfield. On top of that he’s a force in run support, playing fast and aggressive. There will be a lot of corners selected before Webster, but don’t be surprised if Webster plays longer than most of them.

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013/04/ten-late-round-picks-that-will-have-successful-nfl-careers.html

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

In response to Faucetman's comment:

Hey Faucet!  I've been saying for the past few months that Hunt is too raw and too risky to take in the first round, but that he would be worth the gamble in the second.  As we get closer to draft day, it is looking more and more to me like Hunt will likely be gone in the late first or early second.  You've sold me and I now agree that Hunt would be a very good pick as early as #29.  You're right, his lenth/strength/athleticism is an extremely rare combination, and as long as he is a coachable guy (and it sounds like he is) then I see no reason why he shouldn't be a very good, if not great DE in the NFL.  I'm on board with Hunt in the first if we do in fact go that route.

Hey Wazzu,

Yeah, I'm really warming to the idea of Hunt, even as high as 29.  If you compare him to Chandler Jones, who we traded up to 21 to get, Hunt had better numbers than Jones in college.

Jones:

2011: 30 tackles, 7.5 TFL, 4.5 sacks

2010: 38 tackles, 9.5 TFL, 4.0 sacks

2009: 33 tackles, 10 TFL, 1.5 sacks

Hunt:

2012: 32 tackles, 11.5 TFL, 8.0 sacks

2011: 28 tackles, 7.5 TFL, 3.0 sacks

2010: 45 tackles, 6.5 TFL, 3.0 sacks

But, then again, we drafted Jake Bequette who also had similar or better numbers against tough SEC competition and he warmed the bench last year.

Bequette:

2011: 28 tackles, 10.5 TFL, 10 sacks

2010: 32 tackles, 8.5 TFL, 7 sacks

2009: 39 tackles, 9 TFL, 5.5 sacks

Our need at DE is moderate compared to WR and perhaps CB.  Still, I think Hunt would be a beast on special teams and has the chance to be as good, if not better, than Jones after a year or so.  He is bigger, stronger and faster than Jones.  The age thing doesn't worry me because you can only control your first round picks for 6 years anyway without using the tag.

Good stuff, and interesting stats.  I'd forgotten about the age issue.  Honestly, that may be the only reason why I wouldn't love to see us spend #29 on him.  I just don't really like the thought of a 25 year old rookie, but I guess it wouldn't really be the end of the world either.  I guess I would much rather see us trade back a bit and spend a 2nd on Hunt, but as I've mentioned on several occasions, finding a team to make that trade with will not be easy and I have a feeling we will be forced to make a pick at #29.  Ultimately, there will be others available at 29 who I would rather see BB draft, but if he does take Hunt I will still be excited about the pick.

I've seen Hunt mocked to SF at 31 a lot so not sure he makes it to the 40 range.  Being 25 isn't that big of a deal.  Look at Weedon.  He was going to be 29 and went in the first but then again, that was Cleveland taking him.  I'm not going to die on the Margus Hunt hill.  I too would be excited if we took him, at any spot, but also excited if we landed a top DT, WR or CB with our top pick.

Now with the Gronk issue, I would even strongly consider Eifert if he somehow makes it to 29.  TE are such an important part of our O, especially as Brady ages.  Other than the Moss years, we have been a predominently possession passing team. 

I've taken lots of heat from people even suggesting another TE but I feel Gronk and Hern are both injury prone and our offense really struggles when one is out.  Eifert to me is a solid first round prospect and a complete TE.  We could line Hernandez up outside and run a lot of two TE heavy sets with a big WR out.  We can do this with Ballard too, but he isn't anywhere near the receiving threat that both Gronk and Eifert would be with Hern working outside.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

I'm thinking if NE doesn't have a shot at Eifert that they go the "joker" route.  Ballard replaces Gronk.  Hernandez is another WR.   Draft another Hernandez.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Hey Faucet!  I've been saying for the past few months that Hunt is too raw and too risky to take in the first round, but that he would be worth the gamble in the second.  As we get closer to draft day, it is looking more and more to me like Hunt will likely be gone in the late first or early second.  You've sold me and I now agree that Hunt would be a very good pick as early as #29.  You're right, his lenth/strength/athleticism is an extremely rare combination, and as long as he is a coachable guy (and it sounds like he is) then I see no reason why he shouldn't be a very good, if not great DE in the NFL.  I'm on board with Hunt in the first if we do in fact go that route.

Hey Wazzu,

Yeah, I'm really warming to the idea of Hunt, even as high as 29.  If you compare him to Chandler Jones, who we traded up to 21 to get, Hunt had better numbers than Jones in college.

Jones:

2011: 30 tackles, 7.5 TFL, 4.5 sacks

2010: 38 tackles, 9.5 TFL, 4.0 sacks

2009: 33 tackles, 10 TFL, 1.5 sacks

Hunt:

2012: 32 tackles, 11.5 TFL, 8.0 sacks

2011: 28 tackles, 7.5 TFL, 3.0 sacks

2010: 45 tackles, 6.5 TFL, 3.0 sacks

But, then again, we drafted Jake Bequette who also had similar or better numbers against tough SEC competition and he warmed the bench last year.

Bequette:

2011: 28 tackles, 10.5 TFL, 10 sacks

2010: 32 tackles, 8.5 TFL, 7 sacks

2009: 39 tackles, 9 TFL, 5.5 sacks

Our need at DE is moderate compared to WR and perhaps CB.  Still, I think Hunt would be a beast on special teams and has the chance to be as good, if not better, than Jones after a year or so.  He is bigger, stronger and faster than Jones.  The age thing doesn't worry me because you can only control your first round picks for 6 years anyway without using the tag.

Good stuff, and interesting stats.  I'd forgotten about the age issue.  Honestly, that may be the only reason why I wouldn't love to see us spend #29 on him.  I just don't really like the thought of a 25 year old rookie, but I guess it wouldn't really be the end of the world either.  I guess I would much rather see us trade back a bit and spend a 2nd on Hunt, but as I've mentioned on several occasions, finding a team to make that trade with will not be easy and I have a feeling we will be forced to make a pick at #29.  Ultimately, there will be others available at 29 who I would rather see BB draft, but if he does take Hunt I will still be excited about the pick.

I've seen Hunt mocked to SF at 31 a lot so not sure he makes it to the 40 range.  Being 25 isn't that big of a deal.  Look at Weedon.  He was going to be 29 and went in the first but then again, that was Cleveland taking him.  I'm not going to die on the Margus Hunt hill.  I too would be excited if we took him, at any spot, but also excited if we landed a top DT, WR or CB with our top pick.

Now with the Gronk issue, I would even strongly consider Eifert if he somehow makes it to 29.  TE are such an important part of our O, especially as Brady ages.  Other than the Moss years, we have been a predominently possession passing team. 

I've taken lots of heat from people even suggesting another TE but I feel Gronk and Hern are both injury prone and our offense really struggles when one is out.  Eifert to me is a solid first round prospect and a complete TE.  We could line Hernandez up outside and run a lot of two TE heavy sets with a big WR out.  We can do this with Ballard too, but he isn't anywhere near the receiving threat that both Gronk and Eifert would be with Hern working outside.

Eifert would be an interesting selection.  I see what you are saying with regards to Gronk/Hern missing a lot of games recently and it would be nice to have another talented TE to help fill the void if one of them is hurt.  I can't, however, get on board with a TE in Rnd 1 this year.  I feel that there will be a far better player on the board at 29 than Eifert and we have enough other holes to fill at other positions.  Ballard is no slouch as a #3 TE.  Florida's Reed is a name that hasn't been mentioned much recently, but I've liked him this whole time.  He is more of a Hernandez-type TE who excells as a receiver, but doesn't offer much in the blocking department (Eifert isn't much of a blocker either...).  Reed could possibly be had in the 4th or 5th round, should we somehow gain a pick or 2 in that range.  I'd way rather draft a slightly less skilled TE on Day 3 than spend our valuable first on Eifert.  If BB did do the unthinkable and select Eifert at 29, then I would be instantly worried about Gronk's long-term health.  As of now, I think this whole infection story is being slightly over-blown.  I bet he will be fine and miss just a couple games, at most.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I'm hearing an LB Collins linked to the Pats a lot lately. Looked him up and seems like a solid overall player. He's good at getting into the backfield and looks fairly impressive dropping back in coverage. Has solid numbers across the board as far as production with a solid track record and steady increase in production from year to year. Might be interesting to see if they move Hightower to 43 DE and have Collins as the main coverage LB opposite Mayo. Does anyone else know anything about this kid? 

Are you talking about Jamie Collins? If so, yes I mentioned him as someone I liked a lot sometime a lil while ago. He looked very good to me. I assumed he was only not mentioned more often by the so called experts because of where he played.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm sorry Faucet I just can't get behind taking a TE that early. If you were suggesting a mid round TE like say a Nick Kasa or Vance McDonald then I'd be all aboard because I too see the injury prone history between Gronk and Hern. But, chances are one will be healthy this post-season and with Ballard who's proven to have starting capability there just isn't a ton of room. If you draft a kid in the first you expect him to start. Even if you move Hern to WR and you have Eifert and Gronk starting you are almost wasting a talent in Ballard  keeping him on the bench, Now to me Kasa is a legit TE prospect. It's hard to beat a 6'6" 275lb TE that runs a 4.7 There are some question marks considering he only has a year of TE experience under his belt, being a former DE, but his upside is enormous. If they trade back or up and get a mid to early 4th I could see them taking Kasa and dumping Fells then moving Hern to WR...  Hrm I actually like that alot. McDonald is another freak athlete at TE 6'4"  267 4.7 speed and is a very good route runner with quick burst speed out of breaks. He's another kid I wouldn't mind taking a shot on in the 4th. I just don't want to take a TE that early right now since we do have some decent depth unless you plan on moving Hern to WR

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

I'm hearing an LB Collins linked to the Pats a lot lately. Looked him up and seems like a solid overall player. He's good at getting into the backfield and looks fairly impressive dropping back in coverage. Has solid numbers across the board as far as production with a solid track record and steady increase in production from year to year. Might be interesting to see if they move Hightower to 43 DE and have Collins as the main coverage LB opposite Mayo. Does anyone else know anything about this kid? 

Where did you see the linkage? 

Spikes is in the last year of his contract, so perhaps bb is planning ahead like he typically does. He could as you suggest move Hightower to end as well, but maybe as some speculated before, he may trade Spikes? 

Lost the link will try to track it down but found it interesting because they said sources cited Pats interest in him and he'd be a possible 3rd round option

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I'm thinking if NE doesn't have a shot at Eifert that they go the "joker" route.  Ballard replaces Gronk.  Hernandez is another WR.   Draft another Hernandez.

I knew I was going to hear about it again from you and plenty others I see, lol.  I agree it seems like a dumb pick but if Eifert is there at 29 and none of the top receivers are, I'd rather get him than to reach for a second round WR talent based solely on need. 

But back to being serious, Dennard is looking at 6 months of jail time, if he's lucky.  We'll know soon, Apr 11.  I would take Trufant all day long at 29.  But I'm not really wild about anyone else that high after Milliner, Rhodes and Trufant.  The thought of drafting another 2nd round CB dud is not very appealing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Time for another crazy but interesting mock draft:

Assuming:

Mia trades with Clev for the #6 overall pick and trades #54 to Clev to move up

Draft:

#29 - traded to Buf for #41 and a 4th: Buf is hard after Nassib according to reports. Unfortunately they are on the backend of the 2nd round as far as QB needy teams goes. Buf needs to move up and the Pats might be looking to add some picks. It makes sense from both aspects and they have made trades in the past regardless of being in the same division

#41 - J. Jenkins or J. Willams DT: There's a good possibility that one of these giants makes it to pick #41. If one does I think the Pats pull the trigger and grabs one. Either are immediate upgrades at the 2nd DT spot and can sub in for Wilfork when they switch to 34 depending on opponent and scheme that week.

#54 - Rogers or Bailey WR: The Browns trade the newly acquired pick to the Pats in exchange for Mallett. Which ever player is available they grab a WR with the first 2nd pick. Either can play outside with Bailey giving you slightly better hands, quick CoD, and ability to create separation while Rogers gives you size, better run blocking, and ability to block out CB's. Either would be welcome additions to the lineup and have the possibility to be #1/2 type WRs

#59 - Blidi Wren-Wilson CB: The more I hear about Pats interest in him and the more I hear him compare to McCourty with better size and speed the more I think he could be the Pats pick back here. He's got the size tand speed to play outside but also the fluid hips and CoD to play inside just don't expect a lot of picks coming from him. Overall he'd be a solid player who has Ras's size and McCourty's intangibles

#91 - Jamie Collins OLB: In Collins they have a kid who can cover from the LB spot and play as LB in either the 34 or 43. He also brings some pass rushing ability and can play well against the run. With that in mind they could move Hightower to more of a 43DE and 34OLB type role and really run 4 deep in the LB position while strengthing up the DL too

Bills 4th - Nick Kasa TE: After thinking about what Faucet said I'm starting to wonder if they would dump Fells and get a backup TE with high upside that can play behind Gronk and Ballard. If Gronk starts the season injured Hern and Ballard can be your starters and once Gronk is healthy you can move Hern to the WR position essentially doubling down on WR this year by adding quality TE depth. Kasa is one of the largest TE's in the draft and still one of the fastest posting up a 4.7 speed. He's got good hands that should only improve coming over from a DE position. He has tremendous upside and can be more of a traditional large blocking TE that can give you 25-40 recs a year.

first 7th - Jeff Tuel QB: They will need to replace Mallett and this kid is the player they typically look at. If not for an 11' injury ridden season and platooning in 12' he'd be talked about as a day 2 type of QB. He has high upside and can provide some reassurance coming off the bench. With McDaniels and Brady to give him pointers he could come out as another late round Pats QB steal

second 7th - Lawrence Okoye ??: The Pats need more bodies at the DL spot and have taken risks on players who haven't played the sport before. This kid has very nice triangles numbers and worth the back of the 7th risk to see if they can do something with him. Another rugby pickup

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Assuming:

Draft:

#29 - traded to Buf for #41 and a 4th: Buf is hard after Nassib according to reports. Unfortunately they are on the backend of the 2nd round as far as QB needy teams goes. Buf needs to move up and the Pats might be looking to add some picks. It makes sense from both aspects and they have made trades in the past regardless of being in the same division

#41 - J. Jenkins or J. Willams DT: There's a good possibility that one of these giants makes it to pick #41. If one does I think the Pats pull the trigger and grabs one. Either are immediate upgrades at the 2nd DT spot and can sub in for Wilfork when they switch to 34 depending on opponent and scheme that week.

#54 - Rogers or Bailey WR: The Browns trade the newly acquired pick to the Pats in exchange for Mallett. Which ever player is available they grab a WR with the first 2nd pick. Either can play outside with Bailey giving you slightly better hands, quick CoD, and ability to create separation while Rogers gives you size, better run blocking, and ability to block out CB's. Either would be welcome additions to the lineup and have the possibility to be #1/2 type WRs

#59 - Blidi Wren-Wilson CB: The more I hear about Pats interest in him and the more I hear him compare to McCourty with better size and speed the more I think he could be the Pats pick back here. He's got the size tand speed to play outside but also the fluid hips and CoD to play inside just don't expect a lot of picks coming from him. Overall he'd be a solid player who has Ras's size and McCourty's intangibles

#91 - Jamie Collins OLB: In Collins they have a kid who can cover from the LB spot and play as LB in either the 34 or 43. He also brings some pass rushing ability and can play well against the run. With that in mind they could move Hightower to more of a 43DE and 34OLB type role and really run 4 deep in the LB position while strengthing up the DL too

Bills 4th - Nick Kasa TE: After thinking about what Faucet said I'm starting to wonder if they would dump Fells and get a backup TE with high upside that can play behind Gronk and Ballard. If Gronk starts the season injured Hern and Ballard can be your starters and once Gronk is healthy you can move Hern to the WR position essentially doubling down on WR this year by adding quality TE depth. Kasa is one of the largest TE's in the draft and still one of the fastest posting up a 4.7 speed. He's got good hands that should only improve coming over from a DE position. He has tremendous upside and can be more of a traditional large blocking TE that can give you 25-40 recs a year.

first 7th - Jeff Tuel QB: They will need to replace Mallett and this kid is the player they typically look at. If not for an 11' injury ridden season and platooning in 12' he'd be talked about as a day 2 type of QB. He has high upside and can provide some reassurance coming off the bench. With McDaniels and Brady to give him pointers he could come out as another late round Pats QB steal

second 7th - Lawrence Okoye ??: The Pats need more bodies at the DL spot and have taken risks on players who haven't played the sport before. This kid has very nice triangles numbers and worth the back of the 7th risk to see if they can do something with him. Another rugby pickup

This would be a near-perfect draft as far as position availability and trades. If it were to work out this way I would be very happy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Faucet, I don't mind the TE theory, kinda like it. Trufant has been pegged by different mock sites at 29.  However, I just read on one site that his film doesn't match his measureables.  It wouldn't be the end of the world if he was selected.   If you go CB Trufant 1st, WR -Patton  2nd,  maybe Montori Hughes in the 3rd at DT could be one way to go. (among a million combinations)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Hey guys.  Random thought on a Monday morning...I know that his draft stock has fallen like a rock in the past few months, but what if A&M's Damontre Moore is sitting there at 29?  Is he a guy we could take a chance on?  It was just a few months ago that he was thought to be a Top 5 lock, but some subpar workouts and off-field questions have really put a hurtin' on his draft stock.  The guy can really get after the passer though.  I would have to think that he would be a very tempting pick for BB if he is sitting there at #29.

I have to wonder what Moore would bring to the table. Despite being lighter than any DE on the draft class, he is pretty slow. We know BB likes his DEs at 260+. He's 250. After gaining 10-15 pounds how slow will he be? 

Think about this...

They have Bequette, whose college stats are pretty impressive. I have not checked but I'd be surprised if Moore has better college numbers than Bequette. Bequette is faster and stronger.

Adding a slower DE in front of Pats' LBs who themselves are not exactly poster children for speedy LBs is probably going to make them more vulnerable against the pass.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Sources: Patriots at LSU today to work out Spencer Ware, Michael Ford, Russell Shepard

Bill Belichick Profile

The New England Patriots have sent running backs coach Ivan Fears to LSU today to audition running backs Spencer Ware and Michael Ford as well as wide receiver Russell Shepard, according to sources close to the athletic department. 

Ware is a junior entry, a 5-foot-10, 228-pounder coming off a left hamstring injury. 

At his campus Pro Day workout, he bench pressed 225 pounds 17 times and had a 35 1/2 inch vertical leap, a 9-11 broad jump, a 4.27 20-yard shuttle and a 7.28 three-cone drill. 

Ware led the Tigers in rushing in 2011, but had 91 carries for 358 yards last season. 

As a sophomore, he rushed for 707 yards and seven touchdowns and was a second-team All-Southeastern Conference selection. 

Ford is a speedy 5-10, 210-pounder who ran the 40-yard dash in 4.42 seconds at the NFL scouting combine and bench pressed 225 pounds 25 times with a 38 1/2 inch vertical leap, a 10-10 broad jump and a 4.25 20-yard shuttle with a 6.87 three-cone drill. 

He rushed for 2,953 yards and 29 touchdowns as a high school senior in Louisiana. 

At LSU, he rushed for 235 yards and three touchdowns in 2010 with 756 yards and seven touchdowns in 2011 and 392 yards and three touchdowns last season. 

Shepard is a 6-1, 196-pounder who ran the 40-yard dash in 4.46 seconds with a 38 1/2 inch vertical leap and a 10-2 broad jump. 

Shepard declared early for the draft after catching just 14 passes for 190 yards and four touchdowns as a junior.

What's up with this? I would think they would be happy with their RBs. What's even more interesting is they went to LSU... indicating to me that they liked what they saw in Ridley. 

Are they seeing that they need more RBs? Why? Is Ridley okay from the hit on the head? 

BB is frustrating to read, isn't he?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Assuming:

Draft:

Nice mock Eng...one question...why would Miami want to move up? Who are they targeting?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Assuming:

Draft:

Nice mock Eng...one question...why would Miami want to move up? Who are they targeting?

They want an OT from what I'm hearing pretty badly and Lane Johnson is in their crosshairs, but from rumors Lane won't make it out of the top 10

I might have to double think this though now that the Pats picked up Kelly. It kind of changes things a bit in that they might double dip at WR or CB instead of a DT or get a later DT and get an earlier WR or CB

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to AyyyBoston's comment:

MB, i'm sure you have posted this before, so sorry if I am repeating a question...but how would you rank our needs in order? I personally have:

1. WR

2. DT/DE (if we get Abraham, i'd put DE at #5 or #6).

3. CB

4. OL

5. LB (one that can cover)

Hey man... I like to add in the variable of positional depth as well so I'd put DT at the top as I dont' there there is a ton of talent available outside of the Top 50 or so... with that said, I'd go:

1.  DT

2.  WR

3.  CB

4.  DE

5.  OL, LB

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Bill Belichick Profile

Ware is the only RB on my posted board at this point... looks a solid between the tackles banger that could be utilized in short yardage situations and at the goal line... can prob be had in Rd 7 or so.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Bill Belichick Profile

What's up with this? I would think they would be happy with their RBs. What's even more interesting is they went to LSU... indicating to me that they liked what they saw in Ridley. 

Are they seeing that they need more RBs? Why? Is Ridley okay from the hit on the head? 

BB is frustrating to read, isn't he?

due diligence. Same reason I was looking at RB vids. I don't care if they need a WR or CB, if the RB on the board in the 7th is heads and shoulders above the available players at CB and WR in the 7th then you take the RB.

...but you wouldn't be in a position to even know that and make the decisions without doing all the neccessary due diligence.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Faucet, I don't mind the TE theory, kinda like it. Trufant has been pegged by different mock sites at 29.  However, I just read on one site that his film doesn't match his measureables.  It wouldn't be the end of the world if he was selected.   If you go CB Trufant 1st, WR -Patton  2nd,  maybe Montori Hughes in the 3rd at DT could be one way to go. (among a million combinations)

Not sure what they mean by film does not match measurables.

I saw a couple of UW games. From what I saw, he always showed good speed and agility, translating to good cover skills. Will not lose a jump ball even vs the tight ends.

He's not perfect. Tackling needs to improve. Gets blocked. Against the run, either looks reluctant to engage first, or over anticipates the running lane, only leaving him on the wrong side of the blocker.