***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Sources: Patriots at LSU today to work out Spencer Ware, Michael Ford, Russell Shepard
    by Aaron Wilson of Scout.com, April 8, 2013 at 11:42 am ET

Bill Belichick Profile

The New England Patriots have sent running backs coach Ivan Fears to LSU today to audition running backs Spencer Ware and Michael Ford as well as wide receiver Russell Shepard, according to sources close to the athletic department. 

Ware is a junior entry, a 5-foot-10, 228-pounder coming off a left hamstring injury. 

At his campus Pro Day workout, he bench pressed 225 pounds 17 times and had a 35 1/2 inch vertical leap, a 9-11 broad jump, a 4.27 20-yard shuttle and a 7.28 three-cone drill. 

Ware led the Tigers in rushing in 2011, but had 91 carries for 358 yards last season. 

As a sophomore, he rushed for 707 yards and seven touchdowns and was a second-team All-Southeastern Conference selection. 

Ford is a speedy 5-10, 210-pounder who ran the 40-yard dash in 4.42 seconds at the NFL scouting combine and bench pressed 225 pounds 25 times with a 38 1/2 inch vertical leap, a 10-10 broad jump and a 4.25 20-yard shuttle with a 6.87 three-cone drill. 

He rushed for 2,953 yards and 29 touchdowns as a high school senior in Louisiana. 

At LSU, he rushed for 235 yards and three touchdowns in 2010 with 756 yards and seven touchdowns in 2011 and 392 yards and three touchdowns last season. 

Shepard is a 6-1, 196-pounder who ran the 40-yard dash in 4.46 seconds with a 38 1/2 inch vertical leap and a 10-2 broad jump. 

He also worked out at defensive back. 

Shepard declared early for the draft after catching just 14 passes for 190 yards and four touchdowns as a junior.

Shepard was suspended early in the season. 

For more coverage of the NFL, go to profootball.scout.com. 

What's up with this? I would think they would be happy with their RBs. What's even more interesting is they went to LSU... indicating to me that they liked what they saw in Ridley. 

Are they seeing that they need more RBs? Why? Is Ridley okay from the hit on the head? 

BB is frustrating to read, isn't he?

Yeah, I'm worried about Ridley too.  We had Lattimore in too if memory serves.  I know we lost Woodhead but we were over budget at RB last year.  I do think there is a strong chance Demps won't be back so we could be left with an injured Ridley, Vereen, Washington and Bolden.  This means we could be looking at another RB in the draft.  Lattimore late third might be too high given the questions around his rehab but he could be like McGahee was and come back fine.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Faucet, I don't mind the TE theory, kinda like it. Trufant has been pegged by different mock sites at 29.  However, I just read on one site that his film doesn't match his measureables.  It wouldn't be the end of the world if he was selected.   If you go CB Trufant 1st, WR -Patton  2nd,  maybe Montori Hughes in the 3rd at DT could be one way to go. (among a million combinations)

Not sure what they mean by film does not match measurables.

I saw a couple of UW games. From what I saw, he always showed good speed and agility, translating to good cover skills. Will not lose a jump ball even vs the tight ends.

He's not perfect. Tackling needs to improve. Gets blocked. Against the run, either looks reluctant to engage first, or over anticipates the running lane, only leaving him on the wrong side of the blocker.

He ran a 4.38 at the combine, but he does't play that fast.  Like I said 1 site said that while most others were saying he is the pick at 29 for NE.  Mayock, Cosell others have him as the number #3 CB.  I think he is a 1st rd pick so NE could draft him.  Maybe moreso now since they signed DT Tommy Kelly.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

With The Tommy kelly signing I think needs have changed:

WR

CB

LB

DE/OLB

RB

OG

DT

What do you all think?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

By Michael Schottey (NFL National Lead Writer) on April 5, 2013

This Could Be an All-Time Great Undrafted Free Agency Class Hi-res-151124324_display_image
    Jamie Squire/Getty Images

Speaking of guys that may or may not be drafted...

Meet Dayne Crist—the former Notre Dame-turned-Kansas quarterback. He passes the eyeball test with flying colors and has more than enough arm strength to make every NFL throw. In talking with football minds that I trust, I got the impression that Crist has the ability to start in the NFL if he lands in a spot with a coach who can fix some of his erratic throws.

Crist doesn't project to be drafted, but you'll probably hear news about his signing about two minutes after the last pick. He could end up as a team's No. 2 QB right away.

Other guys could end up coming in after the draft and playing big roles for their new teams—Jack Doyle (TE,  Western Kentucky), Tanner Hawkinson (OT, Kansas), Craig Roh (DE, Michigan), Zeke Motta (S, Notre Dame), Levine Toilolo (TE, Stanford), Mike Catapano (DE, Princeton), Sam McGuffie (RB/WR, Rice) and so many more.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Time for another crazy but interesting mock draft:

Assuming:

Mia trades with Clev for the #6 overall pick and trades #54 to Clev to move up

Draft:

#29 - traded to Buf for #41 and a 4th: Buf is hard after Nassib according to reports. Unfortunately they are on the backend of the 2nd round as far as QB needy teams goes. Buf needs to move up and the Pats might be looking to add some picks. It makes sense from both aspects and they have made trades in the past regardless of being in the same division

#41 - J. Jenkins or J. Willams DT: There's a good possibility that one of these giants makes it to pick #41. If one does I think the Pats pull the trigger and grabs one. Either are immediate upgrades at the 2nd DT spot and can sub in for Wilfork when they switch to 34 depending on opponent and scheme that week.

#54 - Rogers or Bailey WR: The Browns trade the newly acquired pick to the Pats in exchange for Mallett. Which ever player is available they grab a WR with the first 2nd pick. Either can play outside with Bailey giving you slightly better hands, quick CoD, and ability to create separation while Rogers gives you size, better run blocking, and ability to block out CB's. Either would be welcome additions to the lineup and have the possibility to be #1/2 type WRs

#59 - Blidi Wren-Wilson CB: The more I hear about Pats interest in him and the more I hear him compare to McCourty with better size and speed the more I think he could be the Pats pick back here. He's got the size tand speed to play outside but also the fluid hips and CoD to play inside just don't expect a lot of picks coming from him. Overall he'd be a solid player who has Ras's size and McCourty's intangibles

#91 - Jamie Collins OLB: In Collins they have a kid who can cover from the LB spot and play as LB in either the 34 or 43. He also brings some pass rushing ability and can play well against the run. With that in mind they could move Hightower to more of a 43DE and 34OLB type role and really run 4 deep in the LB position while strengthing up the DL too

Bills 4th - Nick Kasa TE: After thinking about what Faucet said I'm starting to wonder if they would dump Fells and get a backup TE with high upside that can play behind Gronk and Ballard. If Gronk starts the season injured Hern and Ballard can be your starters and once Gronk is healthy you can move Hern to the WR position essentially doubling down on WR this year by adding quality TE depth. Kasa is one of the largest TE's in the draft and still one of the fastest posting up a 4.7 speed. He's got good hands that should only improve coming over from a DE position. He has tremendous upside and can be more of a traditional large blocking TE that can give you 25-40 recs a year.

first 7th - Jeff Tuel QB: They will need to replace Mallett and this kid is the player they typically look at. If not for an 11' injury ridden season and platooning in 12' he'd be talked about as a day 2 type of QB. He has high upside and can provide some reassurance coming off the bench. With McDaniels and Brady to give him pointers he could come out as another late round Pats QB steal

second 7th - Lawrence Okoye ??: The Pats need more bodies at the DL spot and have taken risks on players who haven't played the sport before. This kid has very nice triangles numbers and worth the back of the 7th risk to see if they can do something with him. Another rugby pickup

Nice mock Eng...one question...why would Miami want to move up? Who are they targeting?

eng,

, good stuff. ive posted my thoughts on wreh-wilson. yeah id like a more elite corner with better upside, but i see a bb guy in him.

i dont know collins, but if your assesmwenrt is right i see the need.

i switch 41 for de who is avail ie hunt or okafor, take rogers with 54

i see your thinking wiht kasa, good gronk insurance, though i could just as easily see value in nabbing a secoond high upside wr.

hear you on okoye and tuel.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

WR

CB

LB

DE/OLB

RB

OG

DT

What do you all think?

this order of need: de, wr, cb or cover lb, o liine, safety, dt

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Time for another crazy but interesting mock draft:

Assuming:

Mia trades with Clev for the #6 overall pick and trades #54 to Clev to move up

Draft:

#29 - traded to Buf for #41 and a 4th: Buf is hard after Nassib according to reports. Unfortunately they are on the backend of the 2nd round as far as QB needy teams goes. Buf needs to move up and the Pats might be looking to add some picks. It makes sense from both aspects and they have made trades in the past regardless of being in the same division

#41 - J. Jenkins or J. Willams DT: There's a good possibility that one of these giants makes it to pick #41. If one does I think the Pats pull the trigger and grabs one. Either are immediate upgrades at the 2nd DT spot and can sub in for Wilfork when they switch to 34 depending on opponent and scheme that week.

#54 - Rogers or Bailey WR: The Browns trade the newly acquired pick to the Pats in exchange for Mallett. Which ever player is available they grab a WR with the first 2nd pick. Either can play outside with Bailey giving you slightly better hands, quick CoD, and ability to create separation while Rogers gives you size, better run blocking, and ability to block out CB's. Either would be welcome additions to the lineup and have the possibility to be #1/2 type WRs

#59 - Blidi Wren-Wilson CB: The more I hear about Pats interest in him and the more I hear him compare to McCourty with better size and speed the more I think he could be the Pats pick back here. He's got the size tand speed to play outside but also the fluid hips and CoD to play inside just don't expect a lot of picks coming from him. Overall he'd be a solid player who has Ras's size and McCourty's intangibles

#91 - Jamie Collins OLB: In Collins they have a kid who can cover from the LB spot and play as LB in either the 34 or 43. He also brings some pass rushing ability and can play well against the run. With that in mind they could move Hightower to more of a 43DE and 34OLB type role and really run 4 deep in the LB position while strengthing up the DL too

Bills 4th - Nick Kasa TE: After thinking about what Faucet said I'm starting to wonder if they would dump Fells and get a backup TE with high upside that can play behind Gronk and Ballard. If Gronk starts the season injured Hern and Ballard can be your starters and once Gronk is healthy you can move Hern to the WR position essentially doubling down on WR this year by adding quality TE depth. Kasa is one of the largest TE's in the draft and still one of the fastest posting up a 4.7 speed. He's got good hands that should only improve coming over from a DE position. He has tremendous upside and can be more of a traditional large blocking TE that can give you 25-40 recs a year.

first 7th - Jeff Tuel QB: They will need to replace Mallett and this kid is the player they typically look at. If not for an 11' injury ridden season and platooning in 12' he'd be talked about as a day 2 type of QB. He has high upside and can provide some reassurance coming off the bench. With McDaniels and Brady to give him pointers he could come out as another late round Pats QB steal

second 7th - Lawrence Okoye ??: The Pats need more bodies at the DL spot and have taken risks on players who haven't played the sport before. This kid has very nice triangles numbers and worth the back of the 7th risk to see if they can do something with him. Another rugby pickup

Nice mock Eng...one question...why would Miami want to move up? Who are they targeting?

They want an OT from what I'm hearing pretty badly and Lane Johnson is in their crosshairs, but from rumors Lane won't make it out of the top 10

I might have to double think this though now that the Pats picked up Kelly. It kind of changes things a bit in that they might double dip at WR or CB instead of a DT or get a later DT and get an earlier WR or CB

would lveo the double wr or teh de, big wr, big cb

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Hey Faucet!  I've been saying for the past few months that Hunt is too raw and too risky to take in the first round, but that he would be worth the gamble in the second.  As we get closer to draft day, it is looking more and more to me like Hunt will likely be gone in the late first or early second.  You've sold me and I now agree that Hunt would be a very good pick as early as #29.  You're right, his lenth/strength/athleticism is an extremely rare combination, and as long as he is a coachable guy (and it sounds like he is) then I see no reason why he shouldn't be a very good, if not great DE in the NFL.  I'm on board with Hunt in the first if we do in fact go that route.

Hey Wazzu,

Yeah, I'm really warming to the idea of Hunt, even as high as 29.  If you compare him to Chandler Jones, who we traded up to 21 to get, Hunt had better numbers than Jones in college.

Jones:

2011: 30 tackles, 7.5 TFL, 4.5 sacks

2010: 38 tackles, 9.5 TFL, 4.0 sacks

2009: 33 tackles, 10 TFL, 1.5 sacks

Hunt:

2012: 32 tackles, 11.5 TFL, 8.0 sacks

2011: 28 tackles, 7.5 TFL, 3.0 sacks

2010: 45 tackles, 6.5 TFL, 3.0 sacks

But, then again, we drafted Jake Bequette who also had similar or better numbers against tough SEC competition and he warmed the bench last year.

Bequette:

2011: 28 tackles, 10.5 TFL, 10 sacks

2010: 32 tackles, 8.5 TFL, 7 sacks

2009: 39 tackles, 9 TFL, 5.5 sacks

Our need at DE is moderate compared to WR and perhaps CB.  Still, I think Hunt would be a beast on special teams and has the chance to be as good, if not better, than Jones after a year or so.  He is bigger, stronger and faster than Jones.  The age thing doesn't worry me because you can only control your first round picks for 6 years anyway without using the tag.

good stuff faucet, hogh i see de pass rsuher as highest need. no pass rush, no sb. folowed by boig outside wr and cb (that we shouldhave taken care of in fa)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

WR

CB

LB

DE/OLB

RB

OG

DT

What do you all think?

Maybe Hunt, Okafor or Carradine at 29 is not looking bad right now, hah?  Maybe D. Moore if he drops? Hmmmmmm.........

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Hey guys.  Random thought on a Monday morning...I know that his draft stock has fallen like a rock in the past few months, but what if A&M's Damontre Moore is sitting there at 29?  Is he a guy we could take a chance on?  It was just a few months ago that he was thought to be a Top 5 lock, but some subpar workouts and off-field questions have really put a hurtin' on his draft stock.  The guy can really get after the passer though.  I would have to think that he would be a very tempting pick for BB if he is sitting there at #29.

def head and off field risk. not bb type. but if there, he would have been thought to be a steal.

id consider for sure. wonder hwo much they talked to him. doesnt look a pat type player (head)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

WR

CB

LB

DE/OLB

RB

OG

DT

What do you all think?

Maybe Hunt, Okafor or Carradine at 29 is not looking bad right now, hah?  Maybe D. Moore if he drops? Hmmmmmm.........

yup, what ive had all along since jordfan and ansah jettisoned to the top(dotn forget detone jones though)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

WR

CB

LB

DE/OLB

RB

OG

DT

What do you all think?

I was hoping, they address the big body next to VW via the draft. Honestly. I have not seen a full OAK game to know how well he plays.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

This Could Be an All-Time Great Undrafted Free Agency Class Hi-res-151124324_display_image

Meet Dayne Crist—the former Notre Dame-turned-Kansas quarterback. He passes the eyeball test with flying colors and has more than enough arm strength to make every NFL throw. In talking with football minds that I trust, I got the impression that Crist has the ability to start in the NFL if he lands in a spot with a coach who can fix some of his erratic throws.

Crist doesn't project to be drafted, but you'll probably hear news about his signing about two minutes after the last pick. He could end up as a team's No. 2 QB right away.

Other guys could end up coming in after the draft and playing big roles for their new teams—Jack Doyle (TE,  Western Kentucky), Tanner Hawkinson (OT, Kansas), Craig Roh (DE, Michigan), Zeke Motta (S, Notre Dame), Levine Toilolo (TE, Stanford), Mike Catapano (DE, Princeton), Sam McGuffie (RB/WR, Rice) and so many more.

Wow... Motta is projecting UDFA now? Even Toilolo surprises me if undrafted

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

WR

CB

LB

DE/OLB

RB

OG

DT

What do you all think?

I was hoping, they address the big body next to VW via the draft. Honestly. I have not seen a full OAK game to know how well he plays.

If the best player on the board is a DT why not.  They signed Kelly for 2 years 6'6" 325.  Love and Deaderick are in last year of their contracts.   Wilfork and Kelly are both 32, I believe.  They could still go DT.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Projected- the key word.  Any of these guys could get drafted.  I think the point of the article, for me, is that there will be plenty of potential talent to be signed.  This is an area in which NE excels.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I am not on board with picking a TE at 29, but if they do, I prefer Ertz over Eifert... back up would be Kasa

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I am not on board with picking a TE at 29, but if they do, I prefer Ertz over Eifert... back up would be Kasa

I would take Ertz over Eifert as well.  He is a better overall TE, IMO.  In truth I really don't want to draft a TE before Day 3 at all.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

I would take Ertz over Eifert as well.  He is a better overall TE, IMO.  In truth I really don't want to draft a TE before Day 3 at all.

+1

or at all. much hihger needs all over unless gronk career is in jeapardy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

with the new DT sign we have Armstead and Kelly, now we can say we will go WR in the first? or trade back?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

with the new DT sign we have Armstead and Kelly, now we can say we will go WR in the first? or trade back?

caradine, jones, hopkins or trade back and get hunt or okafor and 2 elite wrs (one big);

and big cb -or cover lb, ol safety, or dt

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Pats have to be wary of the Kelly pick up. I don't think it eliminates the chance of them picking a DT early.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

caradine, jones, hopkins or trade back and get hunt or okafor and 2 elite wrs (one big);

Imagine this DL jones, kelley(Armstead), Wilfork, Carradine(Jones)

What do u think?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Really??  I think Eifert is a full round better than Ertz.  Gronk's situation really worries me.  Fourth surgery on same arm?  Makes me wonder if he will ever be the same.  If not, does this propel TE up our needs board any?  I think it does.

I don't want to draft TE, believe me. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Motta's slow 40 times didn't help, though I think he plays faster than he times... tough/instinctive kid, very good triangle #'s, solid tackler and really throws his body around... I still think he's a Day 3 pick... I'd be all over Toilolo with one of the 7th rounders if he drops... talk about a redzone threat!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Imagine this DL jones, kelley(Armstead), Wilfork, Carradine(Jones)

What do u think?

The Kelly signing means nothing.  He is depth, hole plugging as BB always does before the draft.  Then he can draft BPA.  If it is a DT, he will take a DT.

Sections
Shortcuts