***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

By Michael Schottey (NFL National Lead Writer) on April 5, 2013

This Could Be an All-Time Great Undrafted Free Agency Class Hi-res-151124324_display_image
    Jamie Squire/Getty Images

Speaking of guys that may or may not be drafted...

Meet Dayne Crist—the former Notre Dame-turned-Kansas quarterback. He passes the eyeball test with flying colors and has more than enough arm strength to make every NFL throw. In talking with football minds that I trust, I got the impression that Crist has the ability to start in the NFL if he lands in a spot with a coach who can fix some of his erratic throws.

Crist doesn't project to be drafted, but you'll probably hear news about his signing about two minutes after the last pick. He could end up as a team's No. 2 QB right away.

Other guys could end up coming in after the draft and playing big roles for their new teams—Jack Doyle (TE,  Western Kentucky), Tanner Hawkinson (OT, Kansas), Craig Roh (DE, Michigan), Zeke Motta (S, Notre Dame), Levine Toilolo (TE, Stanford), Mike Catapano (DE, Princeton), Sam McGuffie (RB/WR, Rice) and so many more.

Wow... Motta is projecting UDFA now? Even Toilolo surprises me if undrafted

Motta's slow 40 times didn't help, though I think he plays faster than he times... tough/instinctive kid, very good triangle #'s, solid tackler and really throws his body around... I still think he's a Day 3 pick... I'd be all over Toilolo with one of the 7th rounders if he drops... talk about a redzone threat!

Yeah Toilolo has been in all of my mocks as a UDFA, perviously i had him as a 5th round pick but for some reason his stock dropped.  The guy is 6'8" 4.86 40 time is a bit slow though. 

"Strengths

Toilolo has a massive frame. Good leaping ability, very difficult to defend in the end zone. Excels in the intermediate and deep game. Extends to catch the football. Has good acceleration. Coordinated enough to line up in the slot or outside in order to take advantage of mismatches. Comes off the line with little wasted motion. Good hip flexibility, and nimble feet.

Weaknesses

Extremely inconsistent. Will not always fully extend to make the catch. Slow with his hands as a blocker, and plays too high. Defenders can get into his chest and move him backwards. Routes can be a bit leggy, struggles in the short passing game. Can be effected by jams at the line.

Bottom Line

Toilolo has a massive frame to combine with good athleticism and leaping ability. He needs to clean up his inconsistencies by fine tuning his technique, but he does have starter upside. At the very least, he will be an interesting weapon to use in the red zone."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

03/24/13 - 2013 Stanford Pro Day: Stanford's "other" tight end, Levine Toilolo, also improved on the 4.86-second time he'd clocked in Indianapolis to measure in the low 4.7s, Thursday. The 6-foot-8, 260-pound Toilolo improved his vertical and broad jumps, as well, going from 31 inches and 9 feet, 5 inches in Indianapolis to 33.5 and 9-9 in Palo Alto. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to natesubs's comment:

By Michael Schottey (NFL National Lead Writer) on April 5, 2013

This Could Be an All-Time Great Undrafted Free Agency Class Hi-res-151124324_display_image
    Jamie Squire/Getty Images

Speaking of guys that may or may not be drafted...

Meet Dayne Crist—the former Notre Dame-turned-Kansas quarterback. He passes the eyeball test with flying colors and has more than enough arm strength to make every NFL throw. In talking with football minds that I trust, I got the impression that Crist has the ability to start in the NFL if he lands in a spot with a coach who can fix some of his erratic throws.

Crist doesn't project to be drafted, but you'll probably hear news about his signing about two minutes after the last pick. He could end up as a team's No. 2 QB right away.

Other guys could end up coming in after the draft and playing big roles for their new teams—Jack Doyle (TE,  Western Kentucky), Tanner Hawkinson (OT, Kansas), Craig Roh (DE, Michigan), Zeke Motta (S, Notre Dame), Levine Toilolo (TE, Stanford), Mike Catapano (DE, Princeton), Sam McGuffie (RB/WR, Rice) and so many more.

Wow... Motta is projecting UDFA now? Even Toilolo surprises me if undrafted

Motta's slow 40 times didn't help, though I think he plays faster than he times... tough/instinctive kid, very good triangle #'s, solid tackler and really throws his body around... I still think he's a Day 3 pick... I'd be all over Toilolo with one of the 7th rounders if he drops... talk about a redzone threat!

Yeah Toilolo has been in all of my mocks as a UDFA, perviously i had him as a 5th round pick but for some reason his stock dropped.  The guy is 6'8" 4.86 40 time is a bit slow though. 

"Strengths

Toilolo has a massive frame. Good leaping ability, very difficult to defend in the end zone. Excels in the intermediate and deep game. Extends to catch the football. Has good acceleration. Coordinated enough to line up in the slot or outside in order to take advantage of mismatches. Comes off the line with little wasted motion. Good hip flexibility, and nimble feet.

Weaknesses

Extremely inconsistent. Will not always fully extend to make the catch. Slow with his hands as a blocker, and plays too high. Defenders can get into his chest and move him backwards. Routes can be a bit leggy, struggles in the short passing game. Can be effected by jams at the line.

Bottom Line

Toilolo has a massive frame to combine with good athleticism and leaping ability. He needs to clean up his inconsistencies by fine tuning his technique, but he does have starter upside. At the very least, he will be an interesting weapon to use in the red zone."

At the end of the day, I do think his combo of size/length/matchup ability in the redzone gets him drafted at some point between Rd 4-6.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

I am not on board with picking a TE at 29, but if they do, I prefer Ertz over Eifert... back up would be Kasa

Really??  I think Eifert is a full round better than Ertz.  Gronk's situation really worries me.  Fourth surgery on same arm?  Makes me wonder if he will ever be the same.  If not, does this propel TE up our needs board any?  I think it does.

I don't want to draft TE, believe me. 

IMO Eifert is the better receiver while Ertz the better blocker. I also think Ertz is the more physical of the two. To me, it's a matter of style preference. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

I am not on board with picking a TE at 29, but if they do, I prefer Ertz over Eifert... back up would be Kasa

Really??  I think Eifert is a full round better than Ertz.  Gronk's situation really worries me.  Fourth surgery on same arm?  Makes me wonder if he will ever be the same.  If not, does this propel TE up our needs board any?  I think it does.

is he up to 4 surgeries for the same issue? i was concerned about guys lifetime nutrition with the inital break. bones aer living tissue, and are one element reflectignthe health of an individual. after 2 breaks and infection still thnking the same thing. now if this will in any way affect his early career who knows, ut if he were a brother or something id talk to him about ledin edge nutrition and also holsitic drs ahead of their field.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

with the new DT sign we have Armstead and Kelly, now we can say we will go WR in the first? or trade back?

I'd trade back personally. Truthfully when looking at the CB's and WR's I'm not seeing a massive difference between a Hopkins, Allen in the back of the 1st or Wheaton, Bailey, Rogers who could go anywhere from the back of the 2nd to the 3rd. Same with CB where I'm not seeing a massive difference between Trufant, Banks in the back of the 1st and Wren-Wilson, Slay, Davis in the back of the 2nd. So if you can trade back and get a mid 2nd and pick up a 4th to me that's worth the trade back

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

hey MB what do u think about A.J Klein LB, Iowa

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

With The Tommy kelly signing I think needs have changed:

WR

CB

LB

DE/OLB

RB

OG

DT

What do you all think?

I was hoping, they address the big body next to VW via the draft. Honestly. I have not seen a full OAK game to know how well he plays.

It was a good signing to see what he has left but my only problem is he committs a lot of penalties

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Looks like an active, blue collar kid with good size that moves well (4.66 40 / 7.06 3C) and has generated good production during his time at ISU.  Should be a solid Day 3 pick for somebody.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

I don't either but with the news about Gronk it might be wise. I wouldn't want to use a 1st or 2nd but maybe a 3rd or 4th(if they can get one).

Fells stinks, Hooman is decent but we know what he can do and Ballard who I like and has shown potential is untested in this O and only has 38 career receptions. While I think he can hold down the fort until Gronk gets back(if he misses any time) it'd still be nice to add another guy at that position, considering all the injuries we've had there

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

I like Pat Kirwan, he seems to bring a lot of common sense to all the player evaluations

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pat-kirwan/22036485/nfl-draft-football-players-belie-combine-tests-undefined-positions

Here are eight guys who may not have all the measurables, but when I watch them play, I see "a football player."

Chase Thomas, OLB, Stanford: He ran a 4.91-second 40 at the combine, but he made 78 plays behind the line of scrimmage, has a real knack for finding the ball and plays much faster than his recorded time because he sees the game the right away.

Denard Robinson, QB/WR/RB/CB, Michigan: There still is a lot of discussion about Robinson's best position in the NFL, but I would want this guy on my team because of his heart and athletic ability.

Jordan Hill, DT, Penn State: He was the shortest defensive lineman at the combine, but I watched him at the Senior Bowl for a week, and he plays hard every down. He had 30 plays behind the line of scrimmage at Penn State and will be hard to cut at the end of whatever camp he attends.

Conner Vernon, WR, Duke: Some watches at the combine had him in 4.77, which is way too slow for an NFL wide receiver. One thing: How do you explain his 283 receptions and 21 touchdowns in college? I watched him at the Senior Bowl, and he does what Wayne Chrebet did: gets open in a short area and catches the ball.

Robbie Rouse, RB, Fresno State: Rouse measured in at 5-5 at the combine and ran a 4.8 40. Nothing like a small guy who's slow to scare away NFL people. But his game tapes show you why he's Fresno State's all-time Fresno leading rusher. He finished his career with 4,647 yards and 37 touchdowns on 898 carries. Throw in 109 receptions for 794 yards and five more TDs, and the newest "Pocket Hercules" totaled 5,441 yards and 42 touchdowns.

Stepfan Taylor, RB, Stanford: Taylor ran a 4.77 40 and didn't show much explosion with a 30-inch vertical leap. I got to know him at the Senior Bowl and the versatile back plays like a guy who runs 4.4. He had more than 5,000 all-purpose yards and found the end zone 45 times in college.

Travis Frederick, C, Wisconsin: Frederick ran a 5.6 40 on many watches and only had 21 reps on the bench-press test. The 40 time was one of the combine's slowest, and he was 33rd among the offensive linemen in the bench press. One problem: He's the best center in the draft and strikes with more power than testing indicates. He's a very solid player and will be one of the biggest centers in the NFL.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

with the new DT sign we have Armstead and Kelly, now we can say we will go WR in the first? or trade back?

I'd trade back personally. Truthfully when looking at the CB's and WR's I'm not seeing a massive difference between a Hopkins, Allen in the back of the 1st or Wheaton, Bailey, Rogers who could go anywhere from the back of the 2nd to the 3rd. Same with CB where I'm not seeing a massive difference between Trufant, Banks in the back of the 1st and Wren-Wilson, Slay, Davis in the back of the 2nd. So if you can trade back and get a mid 2nd and pick up a 4th to me that's worth the trade back

Agreed, new angle.  Everyone says it will be a QB team that will move back up, what about a D.Moore or J. Jones at 29. Does NE trade or select? What about trading out of the 2nd round?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:

I don't either but with the news about Gronk it might be wise. I wouldn't want to use a 1st or 2nd but maybe a 3rd or 4th(if they can get one).

Fells stinks, Hooman is decent but we know what he can do and Ballard who I like and has shown potential is untested in this O and only has 38 career receptions. While I think he can hold down the fort until Gronk gets back(if he misses any time) it'd still be nice to add another guy at that position, considering all the injuries we've had there

it'd be more impactful to draft an big elite wr or 2 with or without gronk.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Looks like an active, blue collar kid with good size that moves well (4.66 40 / 7.06 3C) and has generated good production during his time at ISU.  Should be a solid Day 3 pick for somebody.

Oh thanks dude. This LB is FAST would be huge if avaible in the 7th, could be our cover LB

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

After watching tape on Boise St. CB Jamar Taylor, I'm VERY impressed with what he brings to the table.  This kid is very physical at the line, a very good tackler, and appears to be a very good cover corner to boot.  I'm not sure why he isn't being talked about as a first rounder.  I saw a lot of Trufant's games this past season, and while he is a very good player in his own right, I believe that Taylor is right there with him.  It wouldn't shock me if BB took Taylor at 29, and I gotta say that I would be all for it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

After watching tape on Boise St. CB Jamar Taylor, I'm VERY impressed with what he brings to the table.  This kid is very physical at the line, a very good tackler, and appears to be a very good cover corner to boot.  I'm not sure why he isn't being talked about as a first rounder.  I saw a lot of Trufant's games this past season, and while he is a very good player in his own right, I believe that Taylor is right there with him.  It wouldn't shock me if BB took Taylor at 29, and I gotta say that I would be all for it.

nfldraftscout rates him a late first/early second rounder, and ranks him as teh fourth best CB in the draft behind Milliner, Rhodes and Trufant.

Here's a link for you.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2013/CB

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

caradine, jones, hopkins or trade back and get hunt or okafor and 2 elite wrs (one big);

and big cb -or cover lb, ol safety, or dt

Imagine this DL jones, kelley(Armstead), Wilfork, Carradine(Jones)

What do u think?

since ive been advocating it for a coule months, id say id be for it :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Reports are that the Pats have been pretty high on him so far this preseason. Him and Wren-Wilson both so it does look like they are looking at CB and WR pretty heavy in the draft.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/Q

what worries me is Gronk missing any time especially with welker and Lloyd gone as well. The only guy left Brady has thrown to with consistency is Hern. At this point, if the pats are running their multiple TE offense....one where both are legktimate pass catchers, and assuming Gronk misses time, we have Hern and Ballard to throw to. Is that enough? 

okay, I know drafting a TE early is not something folks here want to warm up,to, but consider the importance of the TE in this offense. Now, consider it again with welker not here. It plays a key role in the passing game and having 2 legit catchers on the field together at TE will also open stuff up for amendola. It's reciprocal. 

i agree with ENg above on not a lot of difference between Hopkins and say guys like bailey, Rogers, etc, which can be had in round 2. So, why not trade29 back for a 2nd and 4th and in round 2, draft a kid like ertz and bailey. Or ertz and Rogers. Or if you want the elite pass catching TE in this draft, use 29 on eifert, and use our 2nd on bailey....or once again...use 29 on eifert, use our 2nd on DL or CB, and trade our 3rd for sanders or draft Rogers here....

i think there are different options obviously, but if we are still running a heavy te based offense that requires 2 legit pss catchers, assuming Gronk is a big ? Then why not spend early on this position? 

Gronk is a special player and there is no one quite like him..granted..butnthe key to the 2 TE offense is both can catch and both can block. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Reports are that the Pats have been pretty high on him so far this preseason. Him and Wren-Wilson both so it does look like they are looking at CB and WR pretty heavy in the draft.

Yep.  WR and CB appear to be on their wish-list.  Smokescreen?  Maybe.  WR is a sure need, but Dennard's verdict will be very important to the CB position.  I bet BB would love to trade back into the 2nd and get Taylor, Wren-Wilson, or best WR possible.  I hope we can find a trade partner in this scenario...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Yep.  WR and CB appear to be on their wish-list.  Smokescreen?  Maybe.  WR is a sure need, but Dennard's verdict will be very important to the CB position.  I bet BB would love to trade back into the 2nd and get Taylor, Wren-Wilson, or best WR possible.  I hope we can find a trade partner in this scenario...

I don't see it as a smokescreen I think they honestly need a WR and CB badly and are doing very intensive studies of players in the lat 1st to 3rd range. From their perspective they have Talib who hasn't finished a full season in the pro's was knocked out of the postseason because of muscle issues and is on a 1year deal, they have Dennard who could see a decent amount of jail time, they have Arrington who's a solid star CB but was ranked as one of the worst CB's when playing outside, and they have Ras who has talent to be an outside/inside backup CB but can't open a bag of chips without hurting himself. I think they want to add another high talent CB who can play outside/inside who could eventually take over for Talib if they can't come to a long term solution or Talib shots his way out of town. BB always hedges his bets and I can't see him going into the season with so many question marks on a CB core that he's been killed for the last couple of years.

Same with WR too. I can't see them going into the season with huge health question marks hanging over their second choice and a #3/4 WR even Buf didn't want back. Jenkins is another.....  yeah don't need to say more

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Gronk will come back and be the same.  They need to bring him along slow - we don't need him in weeks 1-10, but we need fully functional Gronk in the playoffs. 

With him at full strength, we have 2 more super bowl titles...I truly believe that

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I don't see it as a smokescreen I think they honestly need a WR and CB badly and are doing very intensive studies of players in the lat 1st to 3rd range. From their perspective they have Talib who hasn't finished a full season in the pro's was knocked out of the postseason because of muscle issues and is on a 1year deal, they have Dennard who could see a decent amount of jail time, they have Arrington who's a solid star CB but was ranked as one of the worst CB's when playing outside, and they have Ras who has talent to be an outside/inside backup CB but can't open a bag of chips without hurting himself. I think they want to add another high talent CB who can play outside/inside who could eventually take over for Talib if they can't come to a long term solution or Talib shots his way out of town. BB always hedges his bets and I can't see him going into the season with so many question marks on a CB core that he's been killed for the last couple of years.

Same with WR too. I can't see them going into the season with huge health question marks hanging over their second choice and a #3/4 WR even Buf didn't want back. Jenkins is another.....  yeah don't need to say more

Yeah, I totally agree.  WR and CB are definate needs.  You never know what kind of games BB is playing, though.  Would it shock any of us if BB picked a DE and DT with our first 2 picks and waited until later to select WR/CBs?  Never know with Hoodie...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I like Pat Kirwan, he seems to bring a lot of common sense to all the player evaluations

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pat-kirwan/22036485/nfl-draft-football-players-belie-combine-tests-undefined-positions

Here are eight guys who may not have all the measurables, but when I watch them play, I see "a football player."

Chase Thomas, OLB, Stanford: He ran a 4.91-second 40 at the combine, but he made 78 plays behind the line of scrimmage, has a real knack for finding the ball and plays much faster than his recorded time because he sees the game the right away.

Denard Robinson, QB/WR/RB/CB, Michigan: There still is a lot of discussion about Robinson's best position in the NFL, but I would want this guy on my team because of his heart and athletic ability.

Jordan Hill, DT, Penn State: He was the shortest defensive lineman at the combine, but I watched him at the Senior Bowl for a week, and he plays hard every down. He had 30 plays behind the line of scrimmage at Penn State and will be hard to cut at the end of whatever camp he attends.

Conner Vernon, WR, Duke: Some watches at the combine had him in 4.77, which is way too slow for an NFL wide receiver. One thing: How do you explain his 283 receptions and 21 touchdowns in college? I watched him at the Senior Bowl, and he does what Wayne Chrebet did: gets open in a short area and catches the ball.

Robbie Rouse, RB, Fresno State: Rouse measured in at 5-5 at the combine and ran a 4.8 40. Nothing like a small guy who's slow to scare away NFL people. But his game tapes show you why he's Fresno State's all-time Fresno leading rusher. He finished his career with 4,647 yards and 37 touchdowns on 898 carries. Throw in 109 receptions for 794 yards and five more TDs, and the newest "Pocket Hercules" totaled 5,441 yards and 42 touchdowns.

Stepfan Taylor, RB, Stanford: Taylor ran a 4.77 40 and didn't show much explosion with a 30-inch vertical leap. I got to know him at the Senior Bowl and the versatile back plays like a guy who runs 4.4. He had more than 5,000 all-purpose yards and found the end zone 45 times in college.

Travis Frederick, C, Wisconsin: Frederick ran a 5.6 40 on many watches and only had 21 reps on the bench-press test. The 40 time was one of the combine's slowest, and he was 33rd among the offensive linemen in the bench press. One problem: He's the best center in the draft and strikes with more power than testing indicates. He's a very solid player and will be one of the biggest centers in the NFL.

I have been high on Chase Thomas for quite awhile.  Not sure if Robinson can succesfully make the conversion to receiver.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Yeah, I totally agree.  WR and CB are definate needs.  You never know what kind of games BB is playing, though.  Would it shock any of us if BB picked a DE and DT with our first 2 picks and waited until later to select WR/CBs?  Never know with Hoodie...

Nope wouldn't shock me at all but what would shock me is if BB didn't select either a CB or WR withing the first 96 picks