***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Yeah, I totally agree.  WR and CB are definate needs.  You never know what kind of games BB is playing, though.  Would it shock any of us if BB picked a DE and DT with our first 2 picks and waited until later to select WR/CBs?  Never know with Hoodie...

Nope wouldn't shock me at all but what would shock me is if BB didn't select either a CB or WR withing the first 96 picks

Agree here too.  The need at CB and WR is too glaring to ignore for too long.  Man, getting another Day 2 pick somehow would really make our draft look a lot better...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Since my last mock the Pats decided to go out and get Kelley. Now the day tells me they are sure whether he will or won't be on the team week 1 but imo they are thinking of him as a place holder to see how either Forston or Armstead develop. Now they could draft a DE/DT early but I'm starting to think they are wanting to double dip into WR. So with that in mind I've adjested my mock draft a little 

Draft:

#29 - traded to Buf for #41 and a 4th: Buf is hard after Nassib according to reports. Unfortunately they are on the backend of the 2nd round as far as QB needy teams goes. Buf needs to move up and the Pats might be looking to add some picks. It makes sense from both aspects and they have made trades in the past regardless of being in the same division

#41 -

Option 1) Jamar Taylor CB: It's no secret the Pats have liked Taylor a lot because of his experience, maturity, and might be one of the CB's who can come in and start right away. With Dennard still up in the air they my need someone to come in right away. We should have a better Thursday after Dennard is sentenced but Taylor is a good option if they are looking at CB help

Option 2) DeAndre Hopkins WR: He has all the intangibles the Pats look for in a WR. Great YAC ability, can create his own separation, can fight at the line, is a good blocker, and is a smart route runner. He could be a very strong option if he makes it to this spot

#54/42 -

Option 1) (if aquired from a Mallett trade via Clev from Mia trade)*- Rogers or Bailey WR: If they don't go Hopkins with the first pick they may target WR with their next pick. Either can play outside with Bailey giving you slightly better hands, quick CoD, and ability to create separation while Rogers gives you size, better run blocking, and ability to block out CB's. Either would be welcome additions to the lineup and have the possibility to be #1/2 type WRs

Option 2) (if aquired from a Mallett trade via Clev from Mia trade)* - J. Williams or M. Hunt DE/DT: If either falls to this range they might pull the trigger on a project high upside DL to bolster the line even further. With question marks over if Nink can be upgraded or the long term solution at DT either could potential be a steal at this spot

#59 -

Option 1) Blidi Wren-Wilson CB: The more I hear about Pats interest in him and the more I hear him compare to McCourty with better size and speed the more I think he could be the Pats pick back here. If they don't take Taylor with their first pick Wren-Wilson seems like a logical target in the back of the 2nd. He's got the size tand speed to play outside but also the fluid hips and CoD to play inside just don't expect a lot of picks coming from him. Overall he'd be a solid player who has Ras's size and McCourty's intangibles

Option 2) Rogers or Bailey WR: Provided Mallett isn't traded or they don't take a WR before this pick either can play outside with Bailey giving you slightly better hands, quick CoD, and ability to create separation while Rogers gives you size, better run blocking, and ability to block out CB's. Either would be welcome additions to the lineup and have the possibility to be #1/2 type WRs

#91 -

Option 1) Markus Wheaton or Ryan Swope WR: They could double dip in WR this year and have looked closely at both WR's. Either can play inside or out and create plays after the catch. Both are Pats types of receivers and could add some needed depth in the WR core

Option 2) Tyrann Mathieu CB: This would be a BB type of move. Get a high end talent who's stock was greatly hurt by off field issues. The Pats have had numerous contacts with Mathieu so they are doing their homework on the honey badger. He also brings STs ability which adds value to the team and allows them to carry Mathieu over Cole

Bills 4th - Jamie Collins OLB: In Collins they have a kid who can cover from the LB spot and play as LB in either the 34 or 43. He also brings some pass rushing ability and can play well against the run. With that in mind they could move Hightower to more of a 43DE and 34OLB type role and really run 4 deep in the LB position while strengthing up the DL too. With Hightower playing DE in passing downs and LB in running downs they lessen the need to go after a DE early if they don't trade Mallett or grab Hunt.

first 7th - Jeff Tuel QB: They will need to replace Mallett and this kid is the player they typically look at. If not for an 11' injury ridden season and platooning in 12' he'd be talked about as a day 2 type of QB. He has high upside and can provide some reassurance coming off the bench. With McDaniels and Brady to give him pointers he could come out as another late round Pats QB steal

second 7th - Lawrence Okoye ??: The Pats need might not need more options at DL right now but he's a high level talent with great possibility. They can train him as either a DL or OL and that should make BB very happy to take a chance on the kid

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

I like Pat Kirwan, he seems to bring a lot of common sense to all the player evaluations

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pat-kirwan/22036485/nfl-draft-football-players-belie-combine-tests-undefined-positions

Here are eight guys who may not have all the measurables, but when I watch them play, I see "a football player."

Chase Thomas, OLB, Stanford: He ran a 4.91-second 40 at the combine, but he made 78 plays behind the line of scrimmage, has a real knack for finding the ball and plays much faster than his recorded time because he sees the game the right away.

Denard Robinson, QB/WR/RB/CB, Michigan: There still is a lot of discussion about Robinson's best position in the NFL, but I would want this guy on my team because of his heart and athletic ability.

Jordan Hill, DT, Penn State: He was the shortest defensive lineman at the combine, but I watched him at the Senior Bowl for a week, and he plays hard every down. He had 30 plays behind the line of scrimmage at Penn State and will be hard to cut at the end of whatever camp he attends.

Conner Vernon, WR, Duke: Some watches at the combine had him in 4.77, which is way too slow for an NFL wide receiver. One thing: How do you explain his 283 receptions and 21 touchdowns in college? I watched him at the Senior Bowl, and he does what Wayne Chrebet did: gets open in a short area and catches the ball.

Robbie Rouse, RB, Fresno State: Rouse measured in at 5-5 at the combine and ran a 4.8 40. Nothing like a small guy who's slow to scare away NFL people. But his game tapes show you why he's Fresno State's all-time Fresno leading rusher. He finished his career with 4,647 yards and 37 touchdowns on 898 carries. Throw in 109 receptions for 794 yards and five more TDs, and the newest "Pocket Hercules" totaled 5,441 yards and 42 touchdowns.

Stepfan Taylor, RB, Stanford: Taylor ran a 4.77 40 and didn't show much explosion with a 30-inch vertical leap. I got to know him at the Senior Bowl and the versatile back plays like a guy who runs 4.4. He had more than 5,000 all-purpose yards and found the end zone 45 times in college.

Travis Frederick, C, Wisconsin: Frederick ran a 5.6 40 on many watches and only had 21 reps on the bench-press test. The 40 time was one of the combine's slowest, and he was 33rd among the offensive linemen in the bench press. One problem: He's the best center in the draft and strikes with more power than testing indicates. He's a very solid player and will be one of the biggest centers in the NFL.

Good post, JJ... agree.  I'm particularly high on Stanford kids as they're generally extremely tough, smart and well coached... you also can't go wrong with a Wisconsin O-lineman for the most part.  Denard is another tough as nails kid with big play ability... BB will get all the info he needs on Hill and Vernon was a kid I was high on for quite a while... extremely productive and could be a solid pick in the Rd 3/4 range, IMO.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

In response to Homecheese's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Faucetman's comment:

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

I am not on board with picking a TE at 29, but if they do, I prefer Ertz over Eifert... back up would be Kasa

Really??  I think Eifert is a full round better than Ertz.  Gronk's situation really worries me.  Fourth surgery on same arm?  Makes me wonder if he will ever be the same.  If not, does this propel TE up our needs board any?  I think it does.

I don't want to draft TE, believe me. 

I don't either but with the news about Gronk it might be wise. I wouldn't want to use a 1st or 2nd but maybe a 3rd or 4th(if they can get one).

Fells stinks, Hooman is decent but we know what he can do and Ballard who I like and has shown potential is untested in this O and only has 38 career receptions. While I think he can hold down the fort until Gronk gets back(if he misses any time) it'd still be nice to add another guy at that position, considering all the injuries we've had there

[/Q

what worries me is Gronk missing any time especially with welker and Lloyd gone as well. The only guy left Brady has thrown to with consistency is Hern. At this point, if the pats are running their multiple TE offense....one where both are legktimate pass catchers, and assuming Gronk misses time, we have Hern and Ballard to throw to. Is that enough? 

okay, I know drafting a TE early is not something folks here want to warm up,to, but consider the importance of the TE in this offense. Now, consider it again with welker not here. It plays a key role in the passing game and having 2 legit catchers on the field together at TE will also open stuff up for amendola. It's reciprocal. 

i agree with ENg above on not a lot of difference between Hopkins and say guys like bailey, Rogers, etc, which can be had in round 2. So, why not trade29 back for a 2nd and 4th and in round 2, draft a kid like ertz and bailey. Or ertz and Rogers. Or if you want the elite pass catching TE in this draft, use 29 on eifert, and use our 2nd on bailey....or once again...use 29 on eifert, use our 2nd on DL or CB, and trade our 3rd for sanders or draft Rogers here....

i think there are different options obviously, but if we are still running a heavy te based offense that requires 2 legit pss catchers, assuming Gronk is a big ? Then why not spend early on this position? 

Gronk is a special player and there is no one quite like him..granted..butnthe key to the 2 TE offense is both can catch and both can block. 

You make a lot of good points here. If Gronk misses some games and is on PUP, then I would spend a 3rd or 4th on a te. If its going to linger or if Gronk is injury prone(which is the start he's off to) then a 1st or 2nd for a te. My preference is a wr and/or dt in rd 1 and 2.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Yeah, I totally agree.  WR and CB are definate needs.  You never know what kind of games BB is playing, though.  Would it shock any of us if BB picked a DE and DT with our first 2 picks and waited until later to select WR/CBs?  Never know with Hoodie...

Nope wouldn't shock me at all but what would shock me is if BB didn't select either a CB or WR withing the first 96 picks

Totally agree.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Agree here too.  The need at CB and WR is too glaring to ignore for too long.  Man, getting another Day 2 pick somehow would really make our draft look a lot better...

RE: your post on Jamar Taylor... I lump him in with DJ Hayden, Trufant and  Banks as CB's that should be off the board at some point in the Top 40-50... Logan Ryan more Top 75, though his triangle #'s and tackling ability may increase his value with BB.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

After watching tape on Boise St. CB Jamar Taylor, I'm VERY impressed with what he brings to the table.  This kid is very physical at the line, a very good tackler, and appears to be a very good cover corner to boot.  I'm not sure why he isn't being talked about as a first rounder.  I saw a lot of Trufant's games this past season, and while he is a very good player in his own right, I believe that Taylor is right there with him.  It wouldn't shock me if BB took Taylor at 29, and I gotta say that I would be all for it.

Reports are that the Pats have been pretty high on him so far this preseason. Him and Wren-Wilson both so it does look like they are looking at CB and WR pretty heavy in the draft.

Yep.  WR and CB appear to be on their wish-list.  Smokescreen?  Maybe.  WR is a sure need, but Dennard's verdict will be very important to the CB position.  I bet BB would love to trade back into the 2nd and get Taylor, Wren-Wilson, or best WR possible.  I hope we can find a trade partner in this scenario...

I don't see it as a smokescreen I think they honestly need a WR and CB badly and are doing very intensive studies of players in the lat 1st to 3rd range. From their perspective they have Talib who hasn't finished a full season in the pro's was knocked out of the postseason because of muscle issues and is on a 1year deal, they have Dennard who could see a decent amount of jail time, they have Arrington who's a solid star CB but was ranked as one of the worst CB's when playing outside, and they have Ras who has talent to be an outside/inside backup CB but can't open a bag of chips without hurting himself. I think they want to add another high talent CB who can play outside/inside who could eventually take over for Talib if they can't come to a long term solution or Talib shots his way out of town. BB always hedges his bets and I can't see him going into the season with so many question marks on a CB core that he's been killed for the last couple of years.

Same with WR too. I can't see them going into the season with huge health question marks hanging over their second choice and a #3/4 WR even Buf didn't want back. Jenkins is another.....  yeah don't need to say more

Lol!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

I hope NE has a hand shake with a team at 29 because they will probably go into the draft with 4 picks.   If they sign Sanders, which is a great move, they will be down to a 1st, 2nd, 7th, 7th.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

This was posted on another thead as well, but it looks like NE has signed Emmanuel "Webster" Sanders to an offer sheet... if this goes through, it would reduce the need to (1) WR in this draft, IMO.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/10/patriots-sign-emmanuel-sanders-to-offer-sheet/

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

This was posted on another thead as well, but it looks like NE has signed Emmanuel "Webster" Sanders to an offer sheet... if this goes through, it would reduce the need to (1) WR in this draft, IMO.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/10/patriots-sign-emmanuel-sanders-to-offer-sheet/

Hmmm...lets see if Pitt matches.

if Pitt doesn't match, how does it change or does it change the need for a wr or TE in the draft?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Hmmm...lets see if Pitt matches.

if Pitt doesn't match, how does it change or does it change the need for a wr or TE in the draft?

Personally, I'd still like another WR and a CB or DL in Rd's 1-2.

Scenario #1:

Rd 1- Jesse Williams/Sylvester Williams/John Hankins/Datone Jones, etc.

Rd 2- Stedman Bailey/Da'Rick Rogers/Markus Wheaton

Scenario #2:

Rd 1- DeAndre Hopkins

Rd 2- Logan Ryan/John Banks/Darius Slay, etc.

Scenario #3:

Rd 1- DJ Hayden or Desmond Trufant

Rd 2- Stedman Bailey/Da'Rick Rogers/Markus Wheaton

*Keenan Allen might also be an option in Rd 2 due to his poor 40 time, which IMO is more injury related.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to APpats21's comment:

Theyre reporting that we have reached an agreement with Edelman. How do you think this further change the draft if we sign Sanders?

I still see it as a depth signing with the need for a higher end WR...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

My updated Big 53 board, new additions in Red:

Rd 1

DT- Jesse Williams

DE/OLB- Tank Carradine

DT- Sylvester Williams

WR- DeAndre Hopkins

CB- DJ Hayden

DT- John Hankins

DL- Datone Jones

CB- Desmond Trufant

Rd 1-2

WR- Stedman Bailey

S- Matt Elam

S- Jon Cyprien

Rd 2

WR- Keenan Allen

CB- Logan Ryan

CB- Johnthan Banks

CB- Jamar Taylor

WR- Quinton Patton

CB- Jordan Poyer

DT- John Jenkins

Rd 2-3

CB- Darius Slay

WR- Markus Wheaton

WR- Da'Rick Rogers

S- Shamarko Thomas

S- DJ Swearinger

DL- Margus Hunt

DE/OLB- Alex Okafor

Rd 3

WR- Ryan Swope

CB- Tyrann Mathieu

DE/OLB- Michael Buchanan

CB- Dwayne Gratz

OL- Barrett Jones

C/OG- Brian Schwenke

DE/OLB- Lavar Edwards

S- Keelan Johnson

DT- Kwame Geathers

DE/OLB- Devin Taylor

Rd 4-7

WR/PR- Ace Sanders

S- Josh Evans

S- Cooper Taylor

WR- Josh Boyce

WR- Chris Harper

CB Kayvon Webster

OG- Jeff Baca

DL- Chris Jones

DL- Josh Boyd

TE- Nick Kasa

TE- Levine Toilolo

WR- TJ Moe

RB- Spencer Ware

DE/OLB- Joe Kruger

DL- Quinton Dial

DL- Kapron Lewis-Moore

OL- Tanner Hawkinson

DL- Abry Jones

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Theyre reporting that we have reached an agreement with Edelman. How do you think this further change the draft if we sign Sanders?

+1

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Please feel free to add if I am missing someone, but here is where they stand

WR

Sanders (?), Amendola

Edelman, Jones, Jenkins

Slater, Aiken, Holmes, Ebert

CB

Talib, Dennard, Arrington

Dowling, Williams, Cole

S

McCourty, Wilson, Wilson, Gregory, Ebner

DT

Wilfork, Love

Deaderick, Armstead, Forston, Kelly, Robertson, Pryor

DE

Jones, Ninkovich, Cunningham

Francis, Bequette, Vega, Benard

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

WR

Sanders (?), Amendola

Edelman, Jones, Jenkins

CB

Dowling, Williams, Cole

S

DT

Wilfork, Love

DE

That seems right. If I had to guess for WR they will still draft 1 kid and see who clears out medically between Jones and Edelman with Slater filling out the core. Everyone else gets speed dialed

CB looks awfully thin to me

DT might be set this year though I'd like to see them add another

DE might be set depending on how they feel about Francis and Bequette though I'm not comfortable with Cunningham. One interesting twist could be if they draft a LB they could move Hightower to DE too

S looks pretty well set

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

My view...

If after all the moves they made on the WR position, they are still talking about depth because they have not addressed the starting role, then it's a shame. I don't see the point of picking up bodies only to drop them later because you can't fit them all in the roster. 

For the above-mentioned reason, I find drafting a WR illogical at this point - especially after giving up a 3rd that you could have used to pick a pretty good WR in a WR-rich class. 

Now, BB's always been unpredictable, so maybe he still will pick up a WR. But if he stays within the pattern over the past few years, he normally does not pick in the position that is nudoubtedly considered to be the class' strength. Remember a couple of years ago when the draft class was rich with pass rushers? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

That seems right. If I had to guess for WR they will still draft 1 kid and see who clears out medically between Jones and Edelman with Slater filling out the core. Everyone else gets speed dialed

DE might be set depending on how they feel about Francis and Bequette though I'm not comfortable with Cunningham. One interesting twist could be if they draft a LB they could move Hightower to DE too

S looks pretty well set

I would love this move.

LB

Hightower, Mayo, Spikes

Fletcher, Koutouvides, Rivera, Tarpinian

As constructed, the current front 7 does not seem to have the speed needed to successfully go against a good passing offense - particularly teams with good slot receivers and receiving TEs. 

Moving Hightower up (assuming he can make the conversion to DE) would add speed up front and would be great if backfilled with a speedier LB.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

yep

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

WR

Sanders (?), Amendola

Edelman, Jones, Jenkins

CB

Dowling, Williams, Cole

S

DT

Wilfork, Love

DE

S looks pretty well set

+1 to all of that

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

My view...

If after all the moves they made on the WR position, they are still talking about depth because they have not addressed the starting role, then it's a shame. I don't see the point of picking up bodies only to drop them later because you can't fit them all in the roster. 

For the above-mentioned reason, I find drafting a WR illogical at this point - especially after giving up a 3rd that you could have used to pick a pretty good WR in a WR-rich class. 

Now, BB's always been unpredictable, so maybe he still will pick up a WR. But if he stays within the pattern over the past few years, he normally does not pick in the position that is nudoubtedly considered to be the class' strength. Remember a couple of years ago when the draft class was rich with pass rushers? 

yes you are right wiht this whole post incluiding not picking up a need when that is abundant in the draft.  all illogical.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

The updated list of expected draft attendees is listed below... (23) in total:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/10/nfl-releases-draft-attendees/

Brigham Young defensive end Ezekiel Ansah.

West Virginia wide receiver Tavon Austin.

North Carolina offensive guard Jonathan Cooper.

Central Michigan offensive tackle Eric Fisher.

Florida defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd.

Alabama offensive tackle D.J. Fluker.

Texas A&M offensive tackle Luke Joeckel.

Oklahoma offensive tackle Lane Johnson.

Oregon defensive end Dion Jordan.

Alabama running back Eddie Lacy.

Florida State quarterback E.J. Manuel.

Alabama cornerback Dee Milliner.

LSU defensive end Barkevious Mingo.

Tennessee wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson.

LSU safety Eric Reid.

Florida State cornerback Xavier Rhodes.

Missouri defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson.

West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith.

Washington cornerback Desmond Trufant.

Texas safety Kenny Vaccaro.

Alabama offensive guard Chance Warmack.

Florida State offensive tackle Menelik Watson.

Florida State defensive end Bjoern Werner.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

EJ Manuel and Eric Read will be there day 2 as well.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

LSU safety Eric Reid.

I've got a question for you. If The Steelers don't match the offer sheet on Sanders are the Patriots done looking at receivers in the top half of the draft? I ask because I think they are. Also saw the kid you were talking about as a possible TE replacement should Gronk be out for any extended time Escobar has good hands and can elevate but can he block?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

LSU safety Eric Reid.

I've got a question for you. If The Steelers don't match the offer sheet on Sanders are the Patriots done looking at receivers in the top half of the draft? I ask because I think they are. Also saw the kid you were talking about as a possible TE replacement should Gronk be out for any extended time Escobar has good hands aand can elevate but can he block?

no we need a big bodied fast outside wr imo. so rogers or others like him in rd 2 or 3 (if sanders sticks) i prefer steeler cut a player keep sanders adn we get 2 in draft (the right ones)

Sections
Shortcuts