***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

In response to Homecheese's comment:

In response to Army2LT's comment:

One thing that stikes me is that there's only a couple of players on that list who seem like a #29.  I think there's a few that I could see going in the top 15, some in the 25-30 range, but the majority look like 2-3 rounders and beyond.  Maybe BB plans on dropping out of the 1st and picking up additional picks.

I noticed that too and wondered the same if he plans to trade back. The list kills me in that you still never know what he's going to do based on it. If only I could be a fly on his wall for a day(sigh)

that's why is too cool trying to mocking Pats draft

+1

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to Homecheese's comment:

In response to Action-Jackson's comment:

Good stuff!

hahahahaha

Man I don't know what to make of the guy. He's making me hate Carl Weathers haha

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Exactly, I think BB likes to target players with issues in latter rounds that could be great, but have fallen off many team boards.

Brady couldn't hold on to the starting job.

Cassell didn't start in college period.

Mallett liked to smoke weed.

Dennard punched a cop.

Gronk had back issues.

Those are off the top of my head, but I think anyone with an injury, off the field issue, or just could not find the field for one reason or the other are prime candidates.

Mathieu is a defenite possibility.  Same goes for Hayden?  Tank F'ing Carradine, talk about a prime candidate.  He's our 1st round pick this year.

Keenan Allen is another kid that could drop due to his poor 40 time.

If they wanted to draft Keenan Allen then they should NOT and just move Aaron Hernandez to WR, striclty, and draft another TE.

For me personally,EVERYTIME I watch his film, I just see Aaron Hernandez. They move exactly the same way  imo. They have the same moves, stride, lean, and everything, it is uncanny to me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

no rogers eh? 

not sure, but im wondering if i saw him on a list at some point (contact wtih pats).

whats our % rate signing players we have no contact with over the bb era jj?

I don't think our % rate is that good when it comes to the early rounds.  Meaning, I don't think the guys we pick are usually found on any list of contact between BB and them.  He's usually pretty stealthy.

[/QUOTE]

thanks

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Team Visits – Offense

QB Tim Tebow, Florida
    RB Montario Hardesty, Tennessee
    RB Charles Scott, LSU
    WR Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State
    WR Arrelious Benn, Illinois
    WR Eric Decker, Minnesota
    C Maurkice Pouncey, Florida

Private Workouts – Offense

QB Tony Pike, Cincinnati
    QB Mike Kafka, Northwestern
    QB Zack Robinson, Oklahoma State
    QB Rusty Smith, Florida Atlantic
    RB Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech
    RB Manase Tonga, BYU
    RB Dexter McCluster, Mississippi
    RB James Starks, Buffalo
    WR Andre Roberts, Citadel
    WR Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati
    WR Scott Long, Louisville
    WR Taylor Price, Ohio
    TE Dennis Pitta, BYU
    TE Aaron Hernandez, Florida
    TE Nate Bynam, Pittsburgh
    TE Scott Sicko, UNH
    OT Nic Richmond, TCU
    OG Phil Costa, Maryland
    C Jim Cordle, Ohio State
    OT Daniel Baldridge, Marshall

Team Visits – Defense

DE Brandon Graham, Michigan
    DE Corey Wootton, Northwestern
    DE Daniel Te’o-Nesheim, Washington
    DE Hall Davis, Louisiana-Lafayette
    DE Chris McCoy, Middle Tennessee State
    DT Dan Williams, Tennessee
    DT Tyson Alualu, California
    DT Brian Price, UCLA
    DT Cam Thomas, North Carolina
    OLB Sergio Kindle, Texas
    OLB Jerry Hughes, TCU
    ILB Jamar Chaney, Mississippi State
    LB Donald Butler, Washington
    CB Kyle Wilson, Boise State

Private Workouts – Defense

DE Antonio Coleman, Auburn
    DE Alex Daniels, Cincinnati
    DT Al Woods, LSU
    DT Torell Troup, UCF
    DT Arthur Jones, Syracuse
    DT Corey Peters, Kentucky
    DT Aleric Mullins, North Carolina
    DT Jeff Owens, Georgia
    DT Ricardo Mathews, Cincinnati
    LB Brandon Spikes, Florida
    LB Jason Worilds, Virginia Tech
    LB Ricky Sapp, Clemson
    LB Kavell Conner, Clemson
    LB Thaddeus Gibson, Ohio State
    LB Dekoda Watson, Florida State
    LB Matt Mayberry, Indiana
    S Earl Thomas, Texas
    S Kam Chancellor, Virginia Tech
    S Myron Lewis, Vanderbilt
    CB Kareem Jackson, Alabama
    CB Chris Cook, Virginia
    CB Dominique Franks, Oklahoma
    CB Nolan Carroll, Maryland
    CB Robert McClain, Connecticut
    CB Brandon Ghee, Wake Forest
    CB Sherrick McManis, Northwestern
    P Brent Bowden, Virginia Tech
    P Zoltan Mesko, Michigan

2011 contacted and drafted players looks like-

WR Taylor Price

TE Aaron Hernandez

LB Brandon Spikes

K Zoltan Mesko

% not contacted over 10 years? or several?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Exactly, I think BB likes to target players with issues in latter rounds that could be great, but have fallen off many team boards.

Dennard punched a cop.

Gronk had back issues.

Those are off the top of my head, but I think anyone with an injury, off the field issue, or just could not find the field for one reason or the other are prime candidates.

Mathieu is a defenite possibility.  Same goes for Hayden?  Tank F'ing Carradine, talk about a prime candidate.  He's our 1st round pick this year.

sure hell hope so

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Dennard punched a cop.

Gronk had back issues.

Lets get the Tom Brady story right! First of all he went to Michigan where when he arrived he was 7th QB on their depth chart, and they also had an incumbant QB named Griese who led his team to an undefeated season the year TB arrived,after he left Tom started at QB every game his last two years, year one he broke school records for passes attempted and completed and led his team to the Citrus bowl over Arkansas in 1998. He also led his team to the Orange Bowl win over SEC powerhouse Alabama in 1999. Just so you know all this is availible on wikipedia. In the win over Alabama in overtime, TB threw for a total of 369 yrds and 4 TDS. So yeah his college career he stunk!Shoot even as a high School Sophmore he averaged 200 yards a game tossing the rock. He also was a former draft choice of the Montreal Expos 18th rd pk.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Lets get the Tom Brady story right! First of all he went to Michigan where when he arrived he was 7th QB on their depth chart, and they also had an incumbant QB named Griese who led his team to an undefeated season the year TB arrived,after he left Tom started at QB every game his last two years, year one he broke school records for passes attempted and completed and led his team to the Citrus bowl over Arkansas in 1998. He also led his team to the Orange Bowl win over SEC powerhouse Alabama in 1999. Just so you know all this is availible on wikipedia. In the win over Alabama in overtime, TB threw for a total of 369 yrds and 4 TDS. So yeah his college career he stunk!Shoot even as a high School Sophmore he averaged 200 yards a game tossing the rock. He also was a former draft choice of the Montreal Expos 18th rd pk.

TB wasn't a 6th round pick for no reason.  He had to share playing time with Drew Henson and teams were a bit afraid that if he couldn't hold onto a college team's starting spot, how on earth could he do it in the pros.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Dennard punched a cop.

Gronk had back issues.

The only thing I'd be cautious of with Tank is he would be a 1st round pick and the main reason takes those players is because the value of those players is much higher then the spots they were taken at. Tank was always considered a mid to late 1st round pick with teens upside so getting him at #29 wouldn't present lots of value. Now if something similar to Gronk happened where the Pats traded back and Tank ended up being in the mid 2nd round then I can see them taking him. But going through the list:

Gronk - mid 1st round talent taken mid 2nd

Hern - 2nd round talent taken in 4th

Dennard - 2nd round talent taken in 7th

Mallett - top 15 talent taken in 3rd

The moral of the story is value, now look at player they brought in:

Tank - mid 1st round talent projected in late 1st (not as much value)

Mathieu - fringe 1st-mid 2nd round talent projected in 3rd-6th round (great value)

M Wilson - mid 2nd round talent projected 3rd-7th round (great value)

Tuel - prior to injury and platoon early day 2 talent projected 6th-UDFA (great value)

Actually Tuel reminds me of Brady in a way, in that his stock was hurt because he platooned at QB 

Lattimore - Top 3 RB talent projected 5th-UDFA (great value)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

TB wasn't a 6th round pick for no reason.  He had to share playing time with Drew Henson and teams were a bit afraid that if he couldn't hold onto a college team's starting spot, how on earth could he do it in the pros.  

That is absolutely true. However, this is less a refelction of Tom Brady. It is bigger a reflection on the fact that his head coach was a bit clueless and could not see what he had.

As far as I recall, during that time period, Michigan was always one of the top schools for recruiting class year in and year out and should have been steam rolling through their schedules with regularity but I never thought thier coach was really any good and simply a product of having the better talent.

Again, if my recollection is correct, the coach often lost most of his tough games vs evenly matched levels of talent.

As you can see for yourself in those Brady 6 videos, Mooch points out that TB's head coach did not stand up and pound the desk for TB. He had no clue. None.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Interesting report. We all knew Mathieu failed drug tests but 10 of them? We also knew the most recent one was a failed drug rehab stint in Oct. When you combine the two however, it makes a strong case that Mathieu can't help himself and will fall right back into drug use. With this new knowledge I'm thinking Mathieu is going to take a Dennard type of fall. Some team might grab him early day 3 hoping to get their own version of Dennard but I don't think he's going to go day 2 anymore. 10 drug failures along with a failed drug rehab stint in the last year, how could you shoot yourself in the foot like that when you had the talent to be a fring 1st round player:

An anonymous NFL assistant coach tells USA Today LSU CB Tyrann Mathieu admitted to failing at least 10 drug tests in college.

Specifically, Mathieu reportedly said he "quit counting" at 10. It's a staggering number, but Mathieu swears he's moved on, and been drug-free since October. He just needs one team to believe him. Mathieu isn't expected to come off the board before the third round.     Source:  USA Today Apr 12 - 11:13 AM

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Pass on Mathieu unless he falls to the 7th like dennard , then more than worth the risk.

i wouldnt touch him with a 3rd...heck, maybe we wont have a 3rd come Sunday .

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Interesting report. We all knew Mathieu failed drug tests but 10 of them? We also knew the most recent one was a failed drug rehab stint in Oct. When you combine the two however, it makes a strong case that Mathieu can't help himself and will fall right back into drug use. With this new knowledge I'm thinking Mathieu is going to take a Dennard type of fall. Some team might grab him early day 3 hoping to get their own version of Dennard but I don't think he's going to go day 2 anymore. 10 drug failures along with a failed drug rehab stint in the last year, how could you shoot yourself in the foot like that when you had the talent to be a fring 1st round player

Wow, good info PE... I agree... Day 3 would prob be his ceiling for BB/NC.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

I haven't been paying as much attention to the draft this year as I have in the past. The Wilson pick last year really soured me. Anyways, I am sure this has been discussed already but what would it take for the Pats to get the Browns 1st rounder. I hear they like Mallet. Would Mallet and the 29 pick do it? Or would it take Mallet, #29 and a top pick in 2014?

My thinking is obvious - with TB having 4-5 years left the Pats need impact players, not more Dowlings and Braces etc. How cool would it be to get a Milliner or Ansah on draft day. Screw it BB, go for the gold, the clock is ticking.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Pass on Mathieu unless he falls to the 7th like dennard , then more than worth the risk.

i wouldnt touch him with a 3rd...heck, maybe we wont have a 3rd come Sunday .

Agree.  Heck, if the Sanders deal works out, we may not even have a 3rd anyway.  I hope we get him.  I think Emanual Sanders would be a great fit here.  If we do end up with a 3rd one way or another, I'm fairly sure that there will be a better CB on the board than Mathieu at that point anyway.  Worth the risk in the 6th or 7th, but not much before that.  10 failed drug tests???  That's a major red flag if I ever saw one...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to pumpsiefan's comment:

I haven't been paying as much attention to the draft this year as I have in the past. The Wilson pick last year really soured me. Anyways, I am sure this has been discussed already but what would it take for the Pats to get the Browns 1st rounder. I hear they like Mallet. Would Mallet and the 29 pick do it? Or would it take Mallet, #29 and a top pick in 2014?

My thinking is obvious - with TB having 4-5 years left the Pats need impact players, not more Dowlings and Braces etc. How cool would it be to get a Milliner or Ansah on draft day. Screw it BB, go for the gold, the clock is ticking.

In theory Mallett and #29 should be enough for #6. Mallett was a top 15 pick before his off-field issues dropped him badly. Now that those off-field issues are no longer a concern his value should be somewhere between a 20-50 pick in trade value.

But of course it all depends on how Clev would value Mallett. If they don't see him having the same value then you'd have to toss more into the pot to get the pick. At that range though, only Star to me seems like he's worth moving up for

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Interesting report. We all knew Mathieu failed drug tests but 10 of them? We also knew the most recent one was a failed drug rehab stint in Oct. When you combine the two however, it makes a strong case that Mathieu can't help himself and will fall right back into drug use. With this new knowledge I'm thinking Mathieu is going to take a Dennard type of fall. Some team might grab him early day 3 hoping to get their own version of Dennard but I don't think he's going to go day 2 anymore. 10 drug failures along with a failed drug rehab stint in the last year, how could you shoot yourself in the foot like that when you had the talent to be a fring 1st round player:

An anonymous NFL assistant coach tells USA Today LSU CB Tyrann Mathieu admitted to failing at least 10 drug tests in college.

Specifically, Mathieu reportedly said he "quit counting" at 10. It's a staggering number, but Mathieu swears he's moved on, and been drug-free since October. He just needs one team to believe him. Mathieu isn't expected to come off the board before the third round.     Source:  USA Today Apr 12 - 11:13 AM

BB is fine with people who made mistake sin their young life. I am not sure he'll be willing to take someone who has shown inability to elarn from their mistakes.

On the writer's point that he just needs one team to believe him... I think more than two teams would believe him if he were 2-3 inches taller. A lot of people in the league already take his height against him. With this info, might indded pull him down.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

thanks PatEng, you always give a thoughtful response. I would put Star up there to with Milliner and Ansah as high inpact players worth the price. But I suspect the conservative approach will prevail with Pats brass crossing fingers Carradine is there and if not they trade down.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

thanks PatEng, you always give a thoughtful response. I would put Star up there to with Milliner and Ansah as high inpact players worth the price. But I suspect the conservative approach will prevail with Pats brass crossing fingers Carradine is there and if not they trade down.

I'd put Ansah in the mix too not sure about Milliner. Milliner is a good player but might be a bit overhyped because of the weak top end talent at CB. It's a very good CB draft in day 2 but not a lot of elite talent. Milliner to me is a top 5 CB in most drafts which would put him in the 15-30 range. It should speak volumes that Rhodes is considered a late 1st round talent and was once thought of as a possible Pats pick, but because of the lack of talent and CB needy teams he most likely will be a top 15 pick and will deffinitely be a top 20. Don't get me wrong, Milliner is a great player but not for the 6th pick overall. To me that's reserved for players with the potential to be top 10 maybe top 5 at their respective position and I'm not sure Milliner fits in the catagory

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

It's too bad Nickell Roby is a complete runt. He's got some grit. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

It's too bad Nickell Roby is a complete runt. He's got some grit. 

Yeah, crazy that he was under 170 pounds at the combine... came in a 172 at his pro day.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

That is absolutely true. However, this is less a refelction of Tom Brady. It is bigger a reflection on the fact that his head coach was a bit clueless and could not see what he had.

As far as I recall, during that time period, Michigan was always one of the top schools for recruiting class year in and year out and should have been steam rolling through their schedules with regularity but I never thought thier coach was really any good and simply a product of having the better talent.

Again, if my recollection is correct, the coach often lost most of his tough games vs evenly matched levels of talent.

As you can see for yourself in those Brady 6 videos, Mooch points out that TB's head coach did not stand up and pound the desk for TB. He had no clue. None.

I totally agree Low.  I think Brady was developing into a great player in college and was handed a raw deal.  Henson was a Michigan star athlete that was thrust into the starting position at Brady's expense.  Either way, he lost valuable playing time and was overlooked by everyone, including BB.  If BB knew what he was getting, he would've picked Brady in the 1st round.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Dennard punched a cop.

Gronk had back issues.

The only thing I'd be cautious of with Tank is he would be a 1st round pick and the main reason takes those players is because the value of those players is much higher then the spots they were taken at. Tank was always considered a mid to late 1st round pick with teens upside so getting him at #29 wouldn't present lots of value. Now if something similar to Gronk happened where the Pats traded back and Tank ended up being in the mid 2nd round then I can see them taking him. But going through the list:

Gronk - mid 1st round talent taken mid 2nd

Hern - 2nd round talent taken in 4th

Dennard - 2nd round talent taken in 7th

Mallett - top 15 talent taken in 3rd

The moral of the story is value, now look at player they brought in:

Tank - mid 1st round talent projected in late 1st (not as much value)

Mathieu - fringe 1st-mid 2nd round talent projected in 3rd-6th round (great value)

M Wilson - mid 2nd round talent projected 3rd-7th round (great value)

Tuel - prior to injury and platoon early day 2 talent projected 6th-UDFA (great value)

Actually Tuel reminds me of Brady in a way, in that his stock was hurt because he platooned at QB 

Lattimore - Top 3 RB talent projected 5th-UDFA (great value)

slight correction, tank was projected top 10 talent till he hurt his knee (that is why he dropped). 

top 10 talent at 29 i would call value

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

if bb traded up i would consider ansah, jordan and star (leaning ansah); however bb woudl use that #6 and probably make it 3 picks ( it would be smart to make it 2 i think. 1 in 20s to get the guy we want, perhaps carradine or detone jones).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

May be a stupid question:

How much do you think draft decisions are affected by a team's view of what will be available on the following year's draft?

I just did a scan of potential 2014 draft prospects and I noticed a few things...

1) Probably a great much better draft for teams interested in picking up a QB. There may actually be kids worthy of first round rating. Of course things could change over the year.

2) In general, kids in next year's draft are smaller @ DT, DE, CB and WR. Take out Nix and that 370 lb kid in Tennessee (?), and there ma not be another DT weighing more than 310. There may only be a couple of CBs taller than 6-0. The top WRs are also not as tall. 

Sections
Shortcuts