In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

New England Patriots: Running Backs

COM - Combine meeting. 

INT - Interested. 

PRO - Pro Day meeting. 

PRI - Private Workout.

% - indicates more than one meeting.

Knile Davis, RB, Arkansas (PRI) 

Washaun Ealey, RB, Jacksonville State (PRI) 

Marcus Lattimore%, RB, South Carolina (PRI) (COM) 

Kendial Lawrence, RB, Missouri (PRO) 

Miguel Maysonet, RB, Stony Brook (PRI) 

Robbie Rouse, RB, Florida Atlantic (INT) 

Derrick Washington%, RB, Tuskegee (PRI) (INT) 

i'd love for NE to pick up Lattimore or Maysonet in the later rounds.

If my memory serves me correctly, you've been on Maysonet since pretty early in the season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

That'd be a pretty good haul, IMO... particularly added talend on the edge and at WR though I'd prefer to see them target a CB in Rd 3 instead of a LB.  Bahktiari looks like a tough kid, def their style of OL though his size (6-4 303) projects better to OG.

Kayvon Webster is a name that I like a lot... think he could be a name to write down as someone BB could target higher than projected throwing BDC into a frenzy because they don't know his name (so he must not be good right? ha)... but this kid has most every attribute that BB values in a CB... good size, speed and triangle #'s, physical and active, plays the game like it means something to him and is an excellent, secure tackler... particularly in the open field.

I really don't know much more about these players that what i read in the draft magazines.  I love this time of year though.  It's like Christmas for every team, alot of fun.  

It's always interesting to project what BB will do.  What do you think about all the 6'1" 240lb LBs that came in for a visit.  BB seems to prefer his OLBs around 6"4" 270, and his ILBs shorter and lighter.  I think that Bostic kid is a real possibility.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Army2LT's comment:

That'd be a pretty good haul, IMO... particularly added talend on the edge and at WR though I'd prefer to see them target a CB in Rd 3 instead of a LB.  Bahktiari looks like a tough kid, def their style of OL though his size (6-4 303) projects better to OG.

Kayvon Webster is a name that I like a lot... think he could be a name to write down as someone BB could target higher than projected throwing BDC into a frenzy because they don't know his name (so he must not be good right? ha)... but this kid has most every attribute that BB values in a CB... good size, speed and triangle #'s, physical and active, plays the game like it means something to him and is an excellent, secure tackler... particularly in the open field.

I really don't know much more about these players that what i read in the draft magazines.  I love this time of year though.  It's like Christmas for every team, alot of fun.  

It's always interesting to project what BB will do.  What do you think about all the 6'1" 240lb LBs that came in for a visit.  BB seems to prefer his OLBs around 6"4" 270, and his ILBs shorter and lighter.  I think that Bostic kid is a real possibility.

Yeah, I'm a draft junkie... try to study prospects as much as I can from Sept-April... glad we have a forum to discuss to link up with others that eat/sleep/breath the draft, ha.

Yeah... Bostic looks to have the size/triangle #'s that they like in their will/weakside type ILB's... could be a solid depth play in the middle rounds.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Yeah... Bostic looks to have the size/triangle #'s that they like in their will/weakside type ILB's... could be a solid depth play in the middle rounds.

I like the Bostic kid but It's too bad I have not seen the Kevin Reddick kid mention with the Patriots. He's one of my favorite non 1st rd LB's.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

I like the Bostic kid but It's too bad I have not seen the Kevin Reddick kid mention with the Patriots. He's one of my favorite non 1st rd LB's.

I'll have to give Reddick a closer look, Low.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Wow really like the Andre Ellington kid a lot. Really nice, vision, and burst with fantastic balance. Has those swivel hips and ability to make something out of nothing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Wow really like the Andre Ellington kid a lot. Really nice, vision, and burst with fantastic balance. Has those swivel hips and ability to make something out of nothing.

Agree, definitely an explosive, quick-twitch type kid that can get to the 2nd/3rd levels of a defense in a hurry.

Check out FSU's Chris Thompson... smaller, but has a similar skill set and can prob had in Rd 7 or as a URFA.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

Really encouraged by the type of Line Backers they are loking at. I have been a big proponent of the LB/Safety hybrid types as a way of improving our pass defense against running backs, TE'S and slot receivers.

Zaviar Gooden is my favorite LB prospect in this years draft for the Pats. As a WILL Backer in our defense where he will be playing behind 2 Massive 2 Gap DT's, he will be kept clean to use his elite Change of Direction, Acceleration and Top end speed to close down on running plays. If you havent had a chance to, check this kids pass defense skills in man to man coverage. Pretty impressive.

The biggest knock on him is that he is not physical enough when taking on blockers, but I think some context is needed. He played in Missouri behind Sheldon Richardson who primarily was used as a penetrating DT and not one who would try to keep OL off his LBers thus Gooden would occasionally get engulfed. Here in NE, the DLine especially the  2 DT's are tasked with keeping the opposing OL occupied so the LBers can make the play. He would be a stud here.

Regarding WR, if we get Sanders, I am ok with using a 4th and 5th on Marquiss Wilson and Mark Harrison as tall speedy options who can make plays on the ball downfield.

In this scenario, I would hope we ended up with a CB, DE and RB with out top 3 picks. Maybe Jamar Taylor/ Sanders Commings (2 of the best press man corners in the draft), Jonathan Franklin/Eddie Lacy (2 of my favorite prospects in the draft, can run and catch) , Cornelius Washington/Cornellius Carradine (both good DE's)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Based on contract status and players likely to be available, I believe BB will draft a DT with his first pick.  Love, Deaderick and Pryor are free agents after this season while Wilfork, Kelly and Forston are free agents after 2014.  Pryor can't stay healthy, Kelly is unproven in our sytem and is 32.  Couple that with there being 3 sure-fired DT in this draft to be taken before pick 29 (Floyd, Lotulelei and Richardson), meaning one of the Williams, Hankins and Short will be there, and I think the stage is set for us to draft a DT at 29 or with a slight trade down. 

I still view our need at WR as our greatest area of need, even if we get E. Sanders but history shows that BB drafts as often based on contractual stability and age at a position as he does need.  If either Sylvester or Jesse Williams are there at 29, I believe BB will pull the trigger.  If not, he will try to trade back and get Hankins or Short a little later on. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

Based on contract status and players likely to be available, I believe BB will draft a DT with his first pick.  Love, Deaderick and Pryor are free agents after this season while Wilfork, Kelly and Forston are free agents after 2014.  Pryor can't stay healthy, Kelly is unproven in our sytem and is 32.  Couple that with there being 3 sure-fired DT in this draft to be taken before pick 29 (Floyd, Lotulelei and Richardson), meaning one of the Williams, Hankins and Short will be there, and I think the stage is set for us to draft a DT at 29 or with a slight trade down. 

I still view our need at WR as our greatest area of need, even if we get E. Sanders but history shows that BB drafts as often based on contractual stability and age at a position as he does need.  If either Sylvester or Jesse Williams are there at 29, I believe BB will pull the trigger.  If not, he will try to trade back and get Hankins or Short a little later on. 

This seems logical Faucet.  I think they get one of thost DTs at the top of the 2nd rd.  If they get an extra pick we could see, WR, CB after.  I wouldn't discount DE/OLB either.  They have invested in Love, Deaderick and Pryor, I am not sure all would be released.  They could extend at least 1.

Bottomline: your scenario fits.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Solid point, Faucet.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Wondering what you guys thought of Alex Okafor, because I'm hearing he can go late first/early second. I think he looks like an average football player...he looks stiff, he is the last one off the ball, he has no pass rush moves, he doesn't bend around the edge, he gets fooled and he is lost when he drops. To me he makes Jermaine Cunningham look like Lawrence Taylor.

Am I off on this?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Wondering what you guys thought of Alex Okafor, because I'm hearing he can go late first/early second. I think he looks like an average football player...he looks stiff, he is the last one off the ball, he has no pass rush moves, he doesn't bend around the edge, he gets fooled and he is lost when he drops. To me he makes Jermaine Cunningham look like Lawrence Taylor.

Am I off on this?

I don't think anyone can make Jermaine Cunningham look like LT, haha.

I've seen it written that Okafor looks like a better player with his hand in the dirt and I'd have to agree... with good explosion out of his stance and better flexibility around the edge.  He looks pretty ordinary when playing in a 2 point stance... looks strong at the point, can set the edge with some stack/shed ability, but doesn't seem to offer much as a passrusher in that capacity.

Overall, I think he plays the game hard with a good effort both up the field and in pursuit and should be valued higher by 43 teams as I think his best fit is at end.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Am I off on this?

Have a look here and here and for some information on the rest you can check here

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Am I off on this?

Have a look here and here and for some information on the rest you can check here

very good stuff in this site. thank you Low

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Here's a good video of Okafor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TTs4tJbtvg

I haven't watched a lot of him this year but he has a good bull rush but could work on his other pass rush moves.

Montgomery is a guy who scares me. I really hope the Pats don't draft him. I think he has potential bust written on him

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Am I off on this?

Good stuff Thanks for posting

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

If the Patriots end up with Sanders for their 3rd round pick I am wondering what is everyones list of WR's that will have to be off the board by pick #91 for them to like the move?

I am assuming the following would be on everyones list to start with.

Hopkins

Bailey

Rogers

Patton

Wheaton

Woods

Hunter

Who else? Anyone?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

If the Patriots end up with Sanders for their 3rd round pick I am wondering what is everyones list of WR's that will have to be off the board by pick #91 for them to like the move?

Hopkins

Bailey

Rogers

Patton

Wheaton

Woods

Hunter

Who else? Anyone?

Terrence Williams and Keenan Allen despite the poor 40 time

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:

Hopkins

Bailey

Rogers

Patton

Wheaton

Woods

Hunter

Who else? Anyone?

Terrence Williams and Keenan Allen despite the poor 40 time

Maybe Dobson as well. I don't know. WHY DO HAVE TO ASK SUCH DIFFICULT QUESTIONS DAMNIT!! Just kidding

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

RB certainly doesn't appear to be a Day 1 or 2 need and unless they do some manuevering, they won't be able to target one until Rd 7... that we all know... with that said, there's a kid that can prob be had in Rd 7 or maybe as an URFA that intrigues me.

Check out FSU's Chris Thompson (5-7+ 188).  Kid is very sudden, has excellent speed to the perimeter and plays a lot tougher than his size would indicate... really runs the ball hard and with good balance/power which is probassisted by his low center of gravity... he def has some Danny Woodhead to his game.

He also look to have some upside as a receiver out of the backfield racking up (21) receptions (including 8 vs. Clemson) in his first (8) games before injury his knee, which knocked him out for the rest of the season.

This is comming from left field but what if BB/Pats took runningback,Eddie Lacy with their first pick ? Yes, it's not a need but Lacy would sure up a lot of holes.New wr corp,no Gronk,protect a older Brady, etc. BB loves value and Lacy in other years would have been a top 10 pick. I don't think it's such a far fetched idea the more I think about it. What do you think?

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Lacey's coming off an injury (RBs have short enough NFL careers) and he's horrible at pass blocking. I can't see BB using a 1st on a RB who can't pass block

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

In response to alfred-e-bob-neumier's comment:

I would NOT be surprised by that pick at all...I just doubt he's available by the time they pick...I think Lacy goes well before they pick because his speed is fine but the guy is a freight train once he gets to the line and beyond....he'd definitely be an impact palyer for the team.....I just have to think they'll go D with a D lineman with #1

In most mock's, Lacy goes in the 2nd to SF.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

This seems logical Faucet.  I think they get one of thost DTs at the top of the 2nd rd.  If they get an extra pick we could see, WR, CB after.  I wouldn't discount DE/OLB either.  They have invested in Love, Deaderick and Pryor, I am not sure all would be released.  They could extend at least 1.

Bottomline: your scenario fits.

I think if Pryor so much as cuts himself shaving during training camp he'll get cut.  Same with Dowling.  Players that can't see the field aren't much use.  I think DE is a strong possibility, i.e. Margus Hunt although we seem loaded with average DEs.  WR is an interesting option in that there isn't really a consensus after Patterson and Austin.  The next 7-8 guys could really go in any order and could be had probably well into the 3rd round.