***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

Marques Wilson is really quite shifty for a tall lanky guy. PLently of speed when presented with open field to run away with it.

Physically kind of weak. Although he has a height advantage he frequently is not strong enough to come down with contested balls for a completed catch. An example of size being great in theory but unless you are physically strong with really strong hands it does not always matter or translate to a true advantage.

I think he has been mentioned on here as a late rd(7th) option but , although its only my first time looking at his film, I simply can not see him lasting that long.

I know one thing. Tuel really threw some ducks in some of those game clips.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Out of gas and crashing will have to get back to taking a closer look at the rest next time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Marques Wilson is really quite shifty for a tall lanky guy. PLently of speed when presented with open field to run away with it.

Physically kind of weak. Although he has a height advantage he frequently is not strong enough to come down with contested balls for a completed catch. An example of size being great in theory but unless you are physically strong with really strong hands it does not always matter or translate to a true advantage.

I think he has been mentioned on here as a late rd(7th) option but , although its only my first time looking at his film, I simply can not see him lasting that long.

I know one thing. Tuel really threw some ducks in some of those game clips.

i want big fast guys who can snag in traffic; otherwise its a cut for me before the season and a wasted pick

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Everything has already been said about Stedman Bailey by Mbeau. He's similar to Woods except he works far more exclusively outside than Woods does.

Bailey is not flashy at anything but I see almost no negative plays watching him. Workman like. Will come back to the ball and not wait for it, when needed. Extremely sure handed both for contested balls and in traffic. Understands and works the sidelines, corners and back of the endzone. Always seems to have field awareness of where the first down markers are or endzone is. Seems to pay attention and understand that going north and South with the ball in his hands is much better than East and West, always tries to get up-field. Did not seem like he often had many opportunities for blocking but the few I saw he seemed engaged, willing, and strong. That stregth also showed up on a few strong stiff arms running for YAC.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Justin Hunter is all over the place for me. Wildy inconsistent watching him. My opinion flip flops based on the game I am watching.

He has one typical thing with most tall lanky guys. They are not fleet of foot enough to make great moves in the open field on a regular basis and often causes himself to stumble like Keene Allen.

He is often wide open but I am not sure that is all him or Patterson taking attention away from him. Does seem to do a good job finding soft spots in the coverage when appropriate.

He'll go up and snag a ball with his hands at the high point one time and then lazily let other balls come into his body letting the defender get his hands in on the ball.

For a tall bodied receiver he doesn't do a great job of using it to shield the defender away consitently. 

Really beat up on some lesser competition that gave him more space but had some bad drops against higher competition that played him tight and physical.

I personally think he does the most damage crossing the middle of the field, and down the seams inside the numbers,  more than vertically down field outside the numbers.

He could get a bit stronger and work to be more consistent. If you watch only the highlight clips you would swear he was heaviliy over looked. The cut downs of the games show some of the negetives however.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Everything has already been said about Stedman Bailey by Mbeau. He's similar to Woods except he works far more exclusively outside than Woods does.

Bailey is not flashy at anything but I see almost no negative plays watching him. Workman like. Will come back to the ball and not wait for it, when needed. Extremely sure handed both for contested balls and in traffic. Understands and works the sidelines, corners and back of the endzone. Always seems to have field awareness of where the first down markers are or endzone is. Seems to pay attention and understand that going north and South with the ball in his hands is much better than East and West, always tries to get up-field. Did not seem like he often had many opportunities for blocking but the few I saw he seemed engaged, willing, and strong. That stregth also showed up on a few strong stiff arms running for YAC.

I agree Bailey isn't afraid to block and does it quite well. Another thing that impresses me is his ability to adjust to the football. Which is just as important as speed is on deep throws. Its like Dennis Rodman, he was only listed at 6'7 or 6'8 but always knew where to be to get rebounds

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Terrance WIlliams looks the part. nice size, speed, strength, build combo. Excellent visual athlete.

Other then a rough patch in the Iowa state game is very sure handed. Workes almost exclusively outside and is rarely asked to run a myriad of routes. Draws a lot of contact and penalties from defenders trying to match his athletic ability. If they don't and give him too much space he breaks down after driving them off and has plenty of room for the catch. Has already conditioned himself to try and get two feet down along the sideline and in the end zone. Does a good job tracking and adjusting to the deep ball. Runs his 9 routes far enough inside the sidleine to leave room for the QB to fade him toward the sideline. Enough athletic ability and quickness to win the 1 on 1 at the line of scrimmage on a quick out when asked to make a play. Can make the defender miss more times than not. Works his way back towards the QB when the play breaks down or QB flushed out. Willing and strong enough blocker.

For a player like him and some others I would love to know the wonderlic scores and see them in the white boards sessions with the Pats. When you do not get to see them handle lining up all over the field, using motions etc it is difficult to project who could handle the Patriots system.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1807930. Show user_1807930's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

Thanks, these are the kind of Reports I want to see for Wide Recievers. Intangibles, not numbers.

This is off the WR subject. With the new receivers learning the system and Tom Brady not being fleet of foot ever, I think he is going to need more time to connect. I liked Wendell at center last year. However, are there any Monster centers in this years draft that should prevent the pocket from collapsing with a strong interior rush? I don't know enough about the centers and would like your opinion. Thanks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Big center: Travis Frederick, Wisconsin

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

Have you guys discussed Ogeltree?  His DUI might make him fall to the end of Rd 1.  Do you think he's a fit in the Pats D?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

In response to Faucetman's comment:

In response to Faucetman's comment:

Now that the Steelers matched, I think we should get the best DL man, be it DT or DE that we can find then draft two WRs with our 2nd and 3rd.

I think we go DT/DE, WR, CB  and we resign Lloyd.  The WR in the draft needs to be able to stretch the defense and play on the outside.

Yeah, maybe get Lloyd his own locker room in an outside trailer.  I think we have enough depth at every position except WR where we are razor thin, almost as bad as 2006. 

I don't think a 3rd pick WR will contribute this year.  Maybe NE surprises and goes 1st and 2nd WR.  We do have more needs than WR.  DT, Pass rusher, cover linebacker, Safety depth, OG, that is why I think getting someone else in FA and 1st or 2nd rd receiver might help.

Hard to argue with WR at 29 given it is our top need.  While we do need a better pass rusher than Ninko, I'm not sure one will be there at 29.  I like Hunt but think he will be a 1-2 year project.  I guess for me I'm thinking if Robert Woods is at 29, we should take him.  I now have him as my #3 WR after the slow times turned in by Allen and with the strong Pro Day by Woods.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/15/jon-gruden-likes-ryan-nassib-most-among-2013-qb-class/#comments

I bet someone in the 35-40 range trades up to #29 for Nassib.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Terrance WIlliams looks the part. nice size, speed, strength, build combo. Excellent visual athlete.

Other then a rough patch in the Iowa state game is very sure handed. Workes almost exclusively outside and is rarely asked to run a myriad of routes. Draws a lot of contact and penalties from defenders trying to match his athletic ability. If they don't and give him too much space he breaks down after driving them off and has plenty of room for the catch. Has already conditioned himself to try and get two feet down along the sideline and in the end zone. Does a good job tracking and adjusting to the deep ball. Runs his 9 routes far enough inside the sidleine to leave room for the QB to fade him toward the sideline. Enough athletic ability and quickness to win the 1 on 1 at the line of scrimmage on a quick out when asked to make a play. Can make the defender miss more times than not. Works his way back towards the QB when the play breaks down or QB flushed out. Willing and strong enough blocker.

For a player like him and some others I would love to know the wonderlic scores and see them in the white boards sessions with the Pats. When you do not get to see them handle lining up all over the field, using motions etc it is difficult to project who could handle the Patriots system.

Good stuff on the WR's, Low... I too am curious on their Wonderlic scores.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

What about victor Cruz-have to give up 29th pick and sign him, but I would rather have him then whatever receiver we could draft at 29

thoughts?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

I would rather go after victor Cruz-

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Spending the eving watching the WR's all over again.

I really hope Hopkins is available for the Pats at #29. Got to have him. I can't see him lasting till #29 however. Really surprised by him being mentioned after keenan allen. I don't see it.

Allen falls down all the time just trying to make a move after the catch. Not great balance making moves with the football in his hands.

Does Da'rick EVER make a man miss a tackle in the open field? I have never seen one. He might outtun some guys to day light but make a move? I need to find some tech film cause all the TN film is straight line no move almost no yac. It's a good thing he is built really rugged because he takes a ton of abuse cause he has no wiggle. Gets lit up left and right.

ok back to watching more WR video...

Not really. Occassional he break it open but what  like abou him is that he's a fighter. He fights for yards, even tough ones. But, the more important thing for me is he fights off the line. He can't be pressed or bump. That to me is one of the Pats biggest weaknesses is or receivers (except Gronk) can't get off the line or fight off the line. That's ne reason I look at Rogers over Bailey. Bailey is more electric with the ball in his hands but Rogers will make the tough catches with people hanging off of him, like a Boldin

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mcboyd22's comment:

What about victor Cruz-have to give up 29th pick and sign him, but I would rather have him then whatever receiver we could draft at 29

thoughts?

Most would love to see Victor land in Foxboro though I just don't see BB giving up a Rd 1 pick and big $... kind goes against his whole "value" philosophy... right or wrong.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Spending the eving watching the WR's all over again.

I really hope Hopkins is available for the Pats at #29. Got to have him. I can't see him lasting till #29 however. Really surprised by him being mentioned after keenan allen. I don't see it.

Allen falls down all the time just trying to make a move after the catch. Not great balance making moves with the football in his hands.

Does Da'rick EVER make a man miss a tackle in the open field? I have never seen one. He might outtun some guys to day light but make a move? I need to find some tech film cause all the TN film is straight line no move almost no yac. It's a good thing he is built really rugged because he takes a ton of abuse cause he has no wiggle. Gets lit up left and right.

ok back to watching more WR video...

I agree with everything you said here.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to mcboyd22's comment:

thoughts?

Most would love to see Victor land in Foxboro though I just don't see BB giving up a Rd 1 pick andbig $... kind goes against his who "value" philosophy... right or wrong.

Plus he is yet another more of a slot type.  We need some outside help.  Besides, do we even have enough cap space at this point?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Miguel at www.patscap.com

Last updated on April 15, 2013 12:45 PM EDT

According to my figures the Patriots' 2013 cap figure is for $113,199,225 with 69 (68 active, 0 on Injured Reserve, 1 on Reserve/Non-NFI) players. I now believe that reserve players like Brian Waters do not count against the cap. I have the Patriots' 2013 dead money at $6,644,196. $113,164,225 + $6,644,196 = $119,808,421. The cap limit for the 2013 season is $123 million. The Patriots' adjusted cap number is $129,656,344. Therefore, I have the Patriots under their adjusted cap limit by about $9.9 million. According to the NFLPA the Patriots are under the cap by $8,644,937 so my numbers are off by $1.3 million. Why do I think that my numbers are off? I believe that one or more Patriots have unreported incentives hitting the cap.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

According to my figures the Patriots' 2013 cap figure is for $113,199,225 with 69 (68 active, 0 on Injured Reserve, 1 on Reserve/Non-NFI) players. I now believe that reserve players like Brian Waters do not count against the cap. I have the Patriots' 2013 dead money at $6,644,196. $113,164,225 + $6,644,196 = $119,808,421. The cap limit for the 2013 season is $123 million. The Patriots' adjusted cap number is $129,656,344. Therefore, I have the Patriots under their adjusted cap limit by about $9.9 million. According to the NFLPA the Patriots are under the cap by $8,644,937 so my numbers are off by $1.3 million. Why do I think that my numbers are off? I believe that one or more Patriots have unreported incentives hitting the cap.

good stuff where's abraham :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

good stuff where's abraham :)

I think you'll probably see guys like Abraham/Freeney get signed over or slightly after draft weekend when teams don't get the pass rusher they want. Then again it also looks like these two priced themselves out of range a bit, and might have to wait till training camp. So basically...yeah, I don't know what I'm talking about:( 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

This is really good stuff!!  This begs the question, why did the Patriots put such a modest offer sheet out there for Sanders making it so tempting for the Steelers to match when they could have blown them away?  It's almost like they wanted to push the Steelers right up to their cap so that when the draft comes they can't sign any of their picks without cutting some players.  Maybe its the future cut player(s) the Pats are really after.  Anyone know who are potential cap casualties for the Steelers post draft?

Sections
Shortcuts