***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to Faucetman's comment:

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Miguel at www.patscap.com

Last updated on April 15, 2013 12:45 PM EDT

According to my figures the Patriots' 2013 cap figure is for $113,199,225 with 69 (68 active, 0 on Injured Reserve, 1 on Reserve/Non-NFI) players. I now believe that reserve players like Brian Waters do not count against the cap. I have the Patriots' 2013 dead money at $6,644,196. $113,164,225 + $6,644,196 = $119,808,421. The cap limit for the 2013 season is $123 million. The Patriots' adjusted cap number is $129,656,344. Therefore, I have the Patriots under their adjusted cap limit by about $9.9 million. According to the NFLPA the Patriots are under the cap by $8,644,937 so my numbers are off by $1.3 million. Why do I think that my numbers are off? I believe that one or more Patriots have unreported incentives hitting the cap.

This is really good stuff!!  This begs the question, why did the Patriots put such a modest offer sheet out there for Sanders making it so tempting for the Steelers to match when they could have blown them away?  It's almost like they wanted to push the Steelers right up to their cap so that when the draft comes they can't sign any of their picks without cutting some players.  Maybe its the future cut player(s) the Pats are really after.  Anyone know who are potential cap casualties for the Steelers post draft?

Well it might be just the value they had on Sanders. I think a lot of people were overvalueing what he could give. I even saw people suggesting he was a #1. From what I see, the hesistation over matching on Pits part kind of verifies, that Sanders is a solid 'X' wr that will be a #2/3 but won't be someone who would need to be game planned for. Maybe the Pats thought $2.5mil was the max value for what they thought Sanders would provide. It stinks we didn't get him but his ceiling might be low and there is no guarantee he'd fit with the Pats anyways. Investing more then needed might have been the right move. Now lets see what they do moving forward and how they compensate by not getting him. For all we know they will use #91 on a Swope or Wheaton who could end up being better then Sanders

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzyDizzyIzzy. Show BuzyDizzyIzzy's posts

Patriots have 3 quality picks. One of them should be used on either Woods or Hopkins at WR. The other 2 should be used for a CB or a DE / DT for depth purposes only.

Would still like to see the Patriots try and snag Richard Seymour from FA since he has no real suitors. I seem to be the only person who wants Seymour back in the fold, but he still has plenty in the gas tank. And him on the RT with Jones on the left, with a combo of Wilfork/Love/Kelly on the inside would make a very formidable D line.............

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to BuzyDizzyIzzy's comment:

Patriots have 3 quality picks. One of them should be used on either Woods or Hopkins at WR. The other 2 should be used for a CB or a DE / DT for depth purposes only.

Would still like to see the Patriots try and snag Richard Seymour from FA since he has no real suitors. I seem to be the only person who wants Seymour back in the fold, but he still has plenty in the gas tank. And him on the RT with Jones on the left, with a combo of Wilfork/Love/Kelly on the inside would make a very formidable D line.............

First the Seymour bridge has been burnt down, the ashes made into bread, the bread eaten, the result tossed into a bag, then that bag lit on fire infront of BB's house. He's not coming back, Seymour said it himself. Second why would you want him at RT? He's never played on the OL a day in his life, I think Vollmer is much better suited for that. I think you meant RDE which would be a bad fit for him in a 43. He'd be a better RDT next to Wilfork. You want quicker DE's in a 43 and someone Seymours sized is better suited inside then out unless in a 34

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Miguel at www.patscap.com

Last updated on April 15, 2013 12:45 PM EDT

According to my figures the Patriots' 2013 cap figure is for $113,199,225 with 69 (68 active, 0 on Injured Reserve, 1 on Reserve/Non-NFI) players. I now believe that reserve players like Brian Waters do not count against the cap. I have the Patriots' 2013 dead money at $6,644,196. $113,164,225 + $6,644,196 = $119,808,421. The cap limit for the 2013 season is $123 million. The Patriots' adjusted cap number is $129,656,344. Therefore, I have the Patriots under their adjusted cap limit by about $9.9 million. According to the NFLPA the Patriots are under the cap by $8,644,937 so my numbers are off by $1.3 million. Why do I think that my numbers are off? I believe that one or more Patriots have unreported incentives hitting the cap.

This is really good stuff!!  This begs the question, why did the Patriots put such a modest offer sheet out there for Sanders making it so tempting for the Steelers to match when they could have blown them away?  It's almost like they wanted to push the Steelers right up to their cap so that when the draft comes they can't sign any of their picks without cutting some players.  Maybe its the future cut player(s) the Pats are really after.  Anyone know who are potential cap casualties for the Steelers post draft?

This article outlines Pitt's situation pretty well:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/04/steelers-cap-situation-after-matching-emmanuel-sanders-offer-sheet/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

So it's pretty well known what players I'm high on in Rd 1 and 2 leading up the next weeks draft, but I wanted to throw out (6) names that I think could be targeted and Rd 3-7 that haven't really been discussed much:

1.  CB Kayvon Webster (5-11 195) South Florida-  This is my "Tavon Wilson" name for this class... a player that I think could be targeted as high as Rd 3 and cause BDC to lose their sh!t because they've never heard of him.  I had mocked this kid to them in Rd 7 last week, but after researching and watching some tape, I don't see why this kid can't be considered in Rd 3.  Good sized kid with a very solid frame very good movement ability both in a straight line (4.34 40 and when changing direction (6.89 3C) and as I have mentioned a couple of times, he's one of the better tacklers that I've seen on tape, particularly in the open field and can also contribute on ST.  Overall, this kid screams BB type pick.

2.  CB/S Sanders Commings (6-0 216) Georgia- One of the bigger CB's available, he's another kid with good fluidity (7.10 3C), especially for a kid is size and also has good overall speed (4.41) with the size, athleticism and versatility that BB values.  He could also come at a relative value due to some off the field questions (simple battery/domestic violence)... and I could see him coming off the board anywhere from Rd's 3-7.

3.  ILB AJ Klein (6-1 250) Iowa State- He's an active, athletic kid with good size and movement ability (4.66 40 / 7.06 3C) that projects to have some 3-down potential at the NFL level due to his ability to drop into converage.  He's also a kid that's around the football a lot, as evident by his 362 career tackles.  He's not a popular name, but could be a very good pick for somebody if need of a LB in the middle rounds (3/4, etc).

4.  S Keelan Johnson 6-0 209) Arizona State-  Yet another DB with good movement ability (4.41 40 / 6.77 3C)... he's an active kid that looks very fluid on tape and isn't afraid to throw his body around... I think he has Rd 3 upside, but could be off the board anywhere between Rd 3-7.

5.  RB Chris Thompson (5-7 192) Florida State- He's a kid that popped to me on tape when researching another player (his name escapes me).  Not a big kid, but runs with very good power and balance, likely helped by his low center of gravity, but also had the speed (pre-knee injury that caused him to miss that last 6 games of the season), suddenness and quick twitch ability to provide some potential big play ability... he's also flashed some ability as a receiver out of the backfield... I can def see some Woodhead to his game.  He's prob a kid that can be had late on Day 3-URFA.

6.  WR Sam McGuffie (5-11 201) Rice- This kid was a former prep/youtube phenom for his highlight runs in HS, where'd he frequently jump over defenders.  He made his way to Michigan but transferred to Rice where he moved from RB to WR.  He's still relatively new to the position (54-603-5 in a more run oriented offense), but has the size and movement ability (4.36 40 / 6.73 3C) that could make him attractive to BB/NC as a Rd 7-URFA type kid.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Sources: Drug test for Keenan Allen Updated: April 16, 2013, 11:17 AM ET By Adam Schefter | ESPN

California's Keenan Allen, the No. 1-rated wide receiver on some teams' boards, was red-flagged for a drug test at the scouting combine in Indianapolis and ordered to undergo another test this month, league sources have said.

Allen's agent, J.T. Johnson, denied that his client has failed any drug test. One source said Allen had suspiciously high levels of water in his system.

The results of his most recent test are unknown at this time, but it will be another question that follows Allen as he tries to bounce back from the knee issues that prevented him from working out at Indianapolis.

ESPN.com's Mel Kiper Jr. has Allen ranked fourth among prospective receivers and going 40th overall to the Tennessee Titans in his latest mock draft.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

K. Allen could drop further with drug problems.  Should be there at 29

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

http://www.fieldgulls.com/coffee-and-cigarettes-daily-links/2013/4/16/4161350/coffee-cigarettes-bill-belichick-diagrams-plays.

Collection of BB breaking down plays.  Always interesting.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzyDizzyIzzy. Show BuzyDizzyIzzy's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

First the Seymour bridge has been burnt down, the ashes made into bread, the bread eaten, the result tossed into a bag, then that bag lit on fire infront of BB's house. He's not coming back, Seymour said it himself. Second why would you want him at RT? He's never played on the OL a day in his life, I think Vollmer is much better suited for that. I think you meant RDE which would be a bad fit for him in a 43. He'd be a better RDT next to Wilfork. You want quicker DE's in a 43 and someone Seymours sized is better suited inside then out unless in a 34

Him on the RT as in him lining up facing the RT........in a 3-4 alignment which is what I feel is still the Patriots strongest alignment.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Him on the RT as in him lining up facing the RT........in a 3-4 alignment which is what I feel is still the Patriots strongest alignment.

That's RDE then not RT. RT mean right tackle or Vollmers position. RDE is right defensive end which is used in a 34. But if you go 34 then Jones becomes a OLB since he is to small to play DE in a 34. Then who do you have as LDE?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Which scenario do you think is most likely?

1.       New England trades the #29 overall pick (640) to the Jacksonville Jaguars for the #33 overall pick, the #135 overall pick, and the #169 overall pick (643.3)

This trade is almost exactly even on the trade value chart; although Jacksonville may be interested in conserving their picks, they will likely have to sacrifice a package similar to this if they would like to re-enter the first round. Florida International strong safety Johnathan Cyprien, who conducted a private workout with the Jaguars, is receiving considerable interest from teams in the late first and early second rounds, so Jacksonville could be interested in leapfrogging the likes of San Francisco and Baltimore to secure him. Additionally, Jacksonville may be interested in a quarterback such as E.J. Manuel or Ryan Nassib in the late first, both of whom were privately worked out as well.

2.       New England trades the #29 overall pick (640) to the Philadelphia Eagles for the #35 overall pick and the #101 overall pick (646)

Another trade with a very low difference in trade value between the two parties, such a move would offer New England an early fourth-round pick as compensation for moving down six spaces; this trade could be even more appealing than executing a swap with Jacksonville, as the Patriots have a deep roster which may be better served by adding a fourth-round talent than by accumulating mid-to-late-round picks. Philadelphia could potentially be interested in a quarterback such as Matt Barkley or E.J. Manuel, or in ensuring that they are not leapfrogged for a prospect such as Stanford junior tight end Zach Ertz or Florida International strong safety Johnathan Cyprien, both of whom have been in contact with the Eagles during the pre-draft process.

3.       New England trades the #29 overall pick (640) to the Cincinnati Bengals for the #37 overall pick, the #118 overall pick, the #156 overall pick, and the #190 overall pick (634.4)

Making a trade with Cincinnati is slightly more difficult than trading with Jacksonville or Philadelphia, primarily because Cincinnati lacks a high fourth-round selection. If the Patriots are willing to take a slight loss on the trade value chart, they could potentially work out a trade resembling this with the Bengals, assuming Cincinnati is willing to part with a handful of mid-to-late-round picks. The most likely target for the Bengals at this point would be Florida strong safety Matt Elam, who would offer Cincinnati a complement for Reggie Nelson in the defensive backfield. If the Bengals are serious about landing Elam, they may feel required to trade ahead of the Baltimore Ravens, who may be considering Elam as Bernard Pollard’s successor; they interviewed the former Gator at the NFL Combine.

4.       New England trades the #29 overall pick (640) to the Arizona Cardinals for the #38 overall pick, the #103 overall pick, and the #140 overall pick (644)

It may be somewhat wishful to expect Arizona to give up three picks in this year’s draft after trading for Carson Palmer, but the Cardinals should probably be looking for a long-term option at the quarterback position and may be interested in moving back into the first round for their favorite option, whether that’s Matt Barkley (who Arizona held a private workout with and also interviewed at the NFL Combine), or another quarterback prospect such as Mike Glennon or Ryan Nassib (both of whom were brought in for private workouts.) The Cardinals also held a private workout with Johnathan Cyprien, who, as mentioned before, appears likely to be selected at some point during the first-round.

5.       New England trades the #29 overall pick and the #91 overall pick (776) to the Tennessee Titans for the #40 overall pick, the #70 overall pick, and the #142 overall pick (775)

The other trades profiled in this article have involved just the #29 overall pick, but it may benefit New England more to include their third-round pick, #91 overall, in a trade similar to this one, which would allow New England to net an additional fifth-round pick while making a substantial move up the third-round draft board. Tennessee could be interested in getting ahead of teams such as Atlanta or Philadelphia for a tight end prospect such as Tyler Eifert; the Titans have also shown significant interest in this year’s crop of safeties, including Johnathan Cyprien, Matt Elam, and Eric Reid, all of whom held private workouts with Tennessee. If a prospect such as Louisiana St. middle linebacker Kevin Minter falls, that could interest the Titans as well.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Sources: Drug test for Keenan Allen Updated: April 16, 2013, 11:17 AM ET By Adam Schefter | ESPN

California's Keenan Allen, the No. 1-rated wide receiver on some teams' boards, was red-flagged for a drug test at the scouting combine in Indianapolis and ordered to undergo another test this month, league sources have said.

Allen's agent, J.T. Johnson, denied that his client has failed any drug test. One source said Allen had suspiciously high levels of water in his system.

The results of his most recent test are unknown at this time, but it will be another question that follows Allen as he tries to bounce back from the knee issues that prevented him from working out at Indianapolis.

ESPN.com's Mel Kiper Jr. has Allen ranked fourth among prospective receivers and going 40th overall to the Tennessee Titans in his latest mock draft.

Rough couple weeks for Allen, first his poor 40 time (4.71) which may have been due to his season ending knee injury, how these failed test questions.  I don't see him coming off the board in Rd 1 at this point... could be a relative value at some point in Rd 2 or so.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

hey jjd I think I like the 5th option best. We'd get 3 picks right in the meat of WR and CB depth while picking up a mid round pick. Having picks #40, 59, 70 would almost give us our choice of WRs and CBs that they've brought in and taking a look at

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Rough couple weeks for Allen, first his poor 40 time (4.71) which may have been due to his season ending knee injury, how these failed test questions.  I don't see him coming off the board in Rd 1 at this point... could be a relative value at some point in Rd 2 or so.

If the drug report is true and given his knee hasn't fully healed we might see him as an option in the 3rd, which is crazy given his talent. If he ends up in the mid 3rd I wouldn't hesistate and trade up to get him

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Which scenario do you think is most likely?

1.       New England trades the #29 overall pick (640) to the Jacksonville Jaguars for the #33 overall pick, the #135 overall pick, and the #169 overall pick (643.3)

This trade is almost exactly even on the trade value chart; although Jacksonville may be interested in conserving their picks, they will likely have to sacrifice a package similar to this if they would like to re-enter the first round. Florida International strong safety Johnathan Cyprien, who conducted a private workout with the Jaguars, is receiving considerable interest from teams in the late first and early second rounds, so Jacksonville could be interested in leapfrogging the likes of San Francisco and Baltimore to secure him. Additionally, Jacksonville may be interested in a quarterback such as E.J. Manuel or Ryan Nassib in the late first, both of whom were privately worked out as well.

2.       New England trades the #29 overall pick (640) to the Philadelphia Eagles for the #35 overall pick and the #101 overall pick (646)

Another trade with a very low difference in trade value between the two parties, such a move would offer New England an early fourth-round pick as compensation for moving down six spaces; this trade could be even more appealing than executing a swap with Jacksonville, as the Patriots have a deep roster which may be better served by adding a fourth-round talent than by accumulating mid-to-late-round picks. Philadelphia could potentially be interested in a quarterback such as Matt Barkley or E.J. Manuel, or in ensuring that they are not leapfrogged for a prospect such as Stanford junior tight end Zach Ertz or Florida International strong safety Johnathan Cyprien, both of whom have been in contact with the Eagles during the pre-draft process.

3.       New England trades the #29 overall pick (640) to the Cincinnati Bengals for the #37 overall pick, the #118 overall pick, the #156 overall pick, and the #190 overall pick (634.4)

Making a trade with Cincinnati is slightly more difficult than trading with Jacksonville or Philadelphia, primarily because Cincinnati lacks a high fourth-round selection. If the Patriots are willing to take a slight loss on the trade value chart, they could potentially work out a trade resembling this with the Bengals, assuming Cincinnati is willing to part with a handful of mid-to-late-round picks. The most likely target for the Bengals at this point would be Florida strong safety Matt Elam, who would offer Cincinnati a complement for Reggie Nelson in the defensive backfield. If the Bengals are serious about landing Elam, they may feel required to trade ahead of the Baltimore Ravens, who may be considering Elam as Bernard Pollard’s successor; they interviewed the former Gator at the NFL Combine.

4.       New England trades the #29 overall pick (640) to the Arizona Cardinals for the #38 overall pick, the #103 overall pick, and the #140 overall pick (644)

It may be somewhat wishful to expect Arizona to give up three picks in this year’s draft after trading for Carson Palmer, but the Cardinals should probably be looking for a long-term option at the quarterback position and may be interested in moving back into the first round for their favorite option, whether that’s Matt Barkley (who Arizona held a private workout with and also interviewed at the NFL Combine), or another quarterback prospect such as Mike Glennon or Ryan Nassib (both of whom were brought in for private workouts.) The Cardinals also held a private workout with Johnathan Cyprien, who, as mentioned before, appears likely to be selected at some point during the first-round.

5.       New England trades the #29 overall pick and the #91 overall pick (776) to the Tennessee Titans for the #40 overall pick, the #70 overall pick, and the #142 overall pick (775)

The other trades profiled in this article have involved just the #29 overall pick, but it may benefit New England more to include their third-round pick, #91 overall, in a trade similar to this one, which would allow New England to net an additional fifth-round pick while making a substantial move up the third-round draft board. Tennessee could be interested in getting ahead of teams such as Atlanta or Philadelphia for a tight end prospect such as Tyler Eifert; the Titans have also shown significant interest in this year’s crop of safeties, including Johnathan Cyprien, Matt Elam, and Eric Reid, all of whom held private workouts with Tennessee. If a prospect such as Louisiana St. middle linebacker Kevin Minter falls, that could interest the Titans as well.

I like scenario #2 with Jax.  I love the thought of a minimal move back and acquiring not only the first pick of the second round (more trade possibilities there) but also a very early 4th rounder which would be prime position to grab a falling talent early on Day 3.  I doubt the Jax would make this trade, however.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

I like 3 and 5.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

having problems with double posts sorry

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I have been looking at various draft sites and draft expert’s WR rankings.  I find that Austin and Patterson are still the clear #1 and #2 on most boards.  After that Allen, Hopkins, and Woods are grouped together on most boards.  You then see Hunter, Patton, Wheaton and Williams grouped pretty tightly together in the next wave.  I looked at the top 16 WRs since I don’t see more than that taken before our pick 91.  Their average rankings are:

1.8  Cordarrelle Patterson RD 1

1.8  Tavon Austin RD 1

3.3   Keenan Allen RD 1-2

3.8   DeAndre Hopkins RD 1-2

4.8   Robert Woods RD 1-2

6.4   Justin Hunter RD 2

7.2  Quinton Patton RD 2

8.6  Markus Wheaton RD 2-3

8.7  Terrance Williams RD 2-3

10.6  Stedman Bailey RD 3

10.8  Da'Rick Rogers RD 3

11.8   Aaron Dobson RD 3

12.0  Ryan Swope RD 3

15.3   Kenny Stills RD 3-4

16.3  Marquise Goodwin RD 3-4

17.8  Chris Harper RD 3-4

I really don't see more than 4 WRs going in the first round, with 2-3 more likely.  Although I think there is a chance a top 10 team takes Austin, I think it would be foolish to spend such a high pick on such a diminutive receiver but can’t see him getting past the Rams at 16 to replace Amendola. 

Patterson is a bit of a hard player to project but to be conservative, I’ll assume he’s gone by pick 24 to Indy although Indy is more likely to take a pass rusher.  After Indy I see Houston as a strong candidate to take a WR.  Then you have NE at 29 and BAL at 32 as the strongest candidates to take a WR in the first round. 

So by pick 29, 2 maybe 3 WRs should be off the board meaning the Pats should have their choice of at least 2 of Allen, Hopkins and Woods.  Knowing the Pats the way we do, they will be trying hard to trade down knowing they can still get one of these guys in the early 2nd if indeed they plan to go WR.

Let’s say the Pats go a different direction at 29 and look to take a WR at 59.  Let’s say BAL addresses their needs on D instead of WR at 32.  We could have 13-14 of the top 16 WRs on the board to start Round 2.  This will cause a run at WR in the 2nd.

I see 8 teams that could target WR in the 2nd; SF (34), TEN (40), BUF (41), CAR (44), MIN (52), NE (59), ATL (60) and BAL (62). If NE can find a trading partner looking to move up at 29 to land a QB such as PHI (35), NYJ (39) or BUF (41), they could still see one of Allen, Hopkins or Woods.  However, if they wait until 59, they could be left with Wheaton, Williams and/or Bailey as their top options, which isn’t bad. I would be thrilled with any of those guys at 59.  At 91 however, we’d be lucky if Swope and lower are on the board.

I don’t think we can afford to NOT get a solid WR or two in this draft.  However, I don’t see the Pats taking a WR at 29 as they have never taken a WR in the first round under BB.  In fact the highest they ever drafted a WR in the draft under BB was Chad Jackson at 36.  So in a perfect world, we’ll trade down with the Jets at 39 allowing them to come up for their QB and at 39, we will select who is left from Allen, Hopkins or Woods.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I have been looking at various draft sites and draft expert’s WR rankings.  I find that Austin and Patterson are still the clear #1 and #2 on most boards.  After that Allen, Hopkins, and Woods are grouped together on most boards.  You then see Hunter, Patton, Wheaton and Williams grouped pretty tightly together in the next wave.  I looked at the top 16 WRs since I don’t see more than that taken before our pick 91.  Their average rankings are:

1.8  Tavon Austin RD 1

6.4   Justin Hunter RD 2

7.2  Quinton Patton RD 2

11.8   Aaron Dobson RD 3

12.0  Ryan Swope RD 3

I really don't see more than 4 WRs going in the first round, with 2-3 more likely.  Although I think there is a chance a top 10 team takes Austin, I think it would be foolish to spend such a high pick on such a diminutive receiver but can’t see him getting past the Rams at 16 to replace Amendola. 

Patterson is a bit of a hard player to project but to be conservative, I’ll assume he’s gone by pick 24 to Indy although Indy is more likely to take a pass rusher.  After Indy I see Houston as a strong candidate to take a WR.  Then you have NE at 29 and BAL at 32 as the strongest candidates to take a WR in the first round. 

So by pick 29, 2 maybe 3 WRs should be off the board meaning the Pats should have their choice of at least 2 of Allen, Hopkins and Woods.  Knowing the Pats the way we do, they will be trying hard to trade down knowing they can still get one of these guys in the early 2nd if indeed they plan to go WR.

Let’s say the Pats go a different direction at 29 and look to take a WR at 59.  Let’s say BAL addresses their needs on D instead of WR at 32.  We could have 13-14 of the top 16 WRs on the board to start Round 2.  This will cause a run at WR in the 2nd.

I see 8 teams that could target WR in the 2nd; SF (34), TEN (40), BUF (41), CAR (44), MIN (52), NE (59), ATL (60) and BAL (62). If NE can find a trading partner looking to move up at 29 to land a QB such as PHI (35), NYJ (39) or BUF (41), they could still see one of Allen, Hopkins or Woods.  However, if they wait until 59, they could be left with Wheaton, Williams and/or Bailey as their top options, which isn’t bad. I would be thrilled with any of those guys at 59.  At 91 however, we’d be lucky if Swope and lower are on the board.

I don’t think we can afford to NOT get a solid WR or two in this draft.  However, I don’t see the Pats taking a WR at 29 as they have never taken a WR in the first round under BB.  In fact the highest they ever drafted a WR in the draft under BB was Chad Jackson at 36.  So in a perfect world, we’ll trade down with the Jets at 39 allowing them to come up for their QB and at 39, we will select who is left from Allen, Hopkins or Woods.

Good breakdown. I strongly agree that we can't wait until 91 to draft a WR. Gotta get at least one within the first 2 rounds to ensure a quality prospect.  Your trade idea with NYJ is a good one, but I can't imagine Rex agreeing to a deal with BB, can you?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

1.8  Tavon Austin RD 1

6.4   Justin Hunter RD 2

7.2  Quinton Patton RD 2

11.8   Aaron Dobson RD 3

12.0  Ryan Swope RD 3

Very, very nice analysis, Faucet.

I can see four WRs taken before 29. Very likely takers are STL, CIN, MIN.

CAR is another team that could pick a WR high. Smith is nearing the end of his career. Here is a opportunity to bring in a playmaking option for Newton, who can go across Smith in the meantime, and then fully take over as a #1 a year or so later. If they continue the team;s trajectory, they may not have the same opportunity in the following years.

STL is another wild card. I am pretty confident that STL uses picks 16, 22 and 46 to pick up at least 2 (They lost Amendola and Gibson), possibly 3, receiving options for Badford. If they go three, they could do WR TE (Eifert) WR or WR WR TE (Ertz). Also possible that both TEs and top 5 WRs are gone by 46, in which case they may consider Lacy.

I am guessing the first four WRs taken are some order of Patterson, Austin, Hopkins and Woods.

I would not touch Allen at 29 (Frankly, not my type even at 59). I agree, taking WR would be going outside of the norm for BB. And for me, personally, I prefer going D on 29. Having Woods or Hopkins is available at 29 might make me think twice.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

1.8  Tavon Austin RD 1

6.4   Justin Hunter RD 2

7.2  Quinton Patton RD 2

11.8   Aaron Dobson RD 3

12.0  Ryan Swope RD 3

Good breakdown. I strongly agree that we can't wait until 91 to draft a WR. Gotta get at least one within the first 2 rounds to ensure a quality prospect.  Your trade idea with NYJ is a good one, but I can't imagine Rex agreeing to a deal with BB, can you?

Absolutely.  Draft day trades within divisions are common. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

1.8  Tavon Austin RD 1

6.4   Justin Hunter RD 2

7.2  Quinton Patton RD 2

11.8   Aaron Dobson RD 3

12.0  Ryan Swope RD 3

Awesome stuff, man... I do see Houston as the major roadblock for Hopkins and agree that Austin and Patterson should be gone prior to that.

I personally don't see Woods as a Rd 1 talent and while I'd like him in Rd 2, I'd take Bailey over him (I'm prob in the minority there). 

I also agree that a WR looks like a necessity within the Top 64.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

1.8  Tavon Austin RD 1

6.4   Justin Hunter RD 2

7.2  Quinton Patton RD 2

11.8   Aaron Dobson RD 3

12.0  Ryan Swope RD 3

Very, very nice analysis, Faucet.

I can see four WRs taken before 29. Very likely takers are STL, CIN, MIN.

CAR is another team that could pick a WR high. Smith is nearing the end of his career. Here is a opportunity to bring in a playmaking option for Newton, who can go across Smith in the meantime, and then fully take over as a #1 a year or so later. If they continue the team;s trajectory, they may not have the same opportunity in the following years.

STL is another wild card. I am pretty confident that STL uses picks 16, 22 and 46 to pick up at least 2 (They lost Amendola and Gibson), possibly 3, receiving options for Badford. If they go three, they could do WR TE (Eifert) WR or WR WR TE (Ertz). Also possible that both TEs and top 5 WRs are gone by 46, in which case they may consider Lacy.

I am guessing the first four WRs taken are some order of Patterson, Austin, Hopkins and Woods.

I would not touch Allen at 29 (Frankly, not my type even at 59). I agree, taking WR would be going outside of the norm for BB. And for me, personally, I prefer going D on 29. Having Woods or Hopkins is available at 29 might make me think twice.  

Don't rule out the Texans either. They desperately need to get someone to play next to Andre Johnson.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

1.8  Tavon Austin RD 1

6.4   Justin Hunter RD 2

7.2  Quinton Patton RD 2

11.8   Aaron Dobson RD 3

12.0  Ryan Swope RD 3

Awesome stuff, man... I do see Houston as the major roadblock for Hopkins and agree that Austin and Patterson shouldbe gone prior to that.

I personally don't see Woods as a Rd 1 talent and while I'd like him in Rd 2, I'd take Bailey over him (I'm prob in the minority there). 

I also agree that a WR looks like a necessity within the Top 64.

Although, I read an article (looking for it) from their beat writer that had them debating.  They were weighing how much a rookie receiver would contribute his first year compared to selecting a defensive player. They would select a WR but maybe 2nd or 3rd round.  So maybe we get lucky and Hou passes on WR.  I still think we move back and take the best WR at the top half of the 2nd round.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Bucky Brooks NFL.com  Breaks out draft levels, Elite, Blue and Red.

I think Floyd is elite.  Joeckel is not. Top 10 but not elite. I don't think Milliner is elite.

His blue and red chips are about right. Basically all together his top 40.

What do you all think?

Elite prospects

These players should earn Pro Bowl recognition early in their careers and rank among the top five players at their respective positions within two or three years.

1) Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
    2) Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
    3) Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama
    4) Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina
    5) Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama

Blue chips

These prospects are regarded as difference-makers based solely on their talent. They should start as rookies and make immediate contributions to their respective teams.

1) Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida
    2) Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
    3) Dion Jordan, DE/OLB, Oregon
    4) Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
    5) Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
    6) Ezekiel "Ziggy" Ansah, DE, BYU
    7) Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma
    8) Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State
    9) Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri
    10) Keenan Allen, WR, Cal
    11) Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia
    12) Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
    13) Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina
    14) Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
    15) Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame

The blue-chip class is established through film study and workouts. Scouts spend a significant amount of time determining whether each prospect has the requisite critical factors (traits like athleticism, football intelligence, explosiveness and production) to develop into a difference-maker. Blue-chip players dominated the college competition, for the most part, while exhibiting the traits that traditionally translate into long-term success at the NFL level.

Red-chip players, on the other hand, demonstrate several blue-chip qualities and characteristics but lack the consistent profile of their blue-chip counterparts. Whether it's because of sub-standard physical dimensions and athleticism or inconsistent on-field performance, players in the red-chip category are regarded as being a notch below elite. In the right system, however, they could emerge as Pro Bowl players. Several of these prospects will hear their names called in the first round, though scouts across the league are divided in their opinions as to their pro potential.

Red chips

These players should contribute as part-time players initially but should be starters by the end of the season. Additionally, they should be key contributors on special teams and provide timely playmaking in their designated roles.

1) Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU
    2) Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
    3) Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State
    4) Manti Te'o, LB, Notre Dame
    5) Eric Reid, S, LSU
    6) Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M
    7) Matt Elam, S, Florida
    8) David Amerson, CB, N.C. State
    9) Robert Woods, WR, USC
    10) Margus Hunt, DE, SMU
    11) Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington
    12) Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama