***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

since you already had 3 picks in the first 3 rounds not sure I'd call 4 picks in round 2 and 3 as a win esp with the data I gave you suggest that a late 2nd and a late 3rd has a little less chance at finding a starter combined then 1 pick in the late 1st. sometimes more isn't always better ie I'd rather have 2/3lb of dunkins then a full 1lb of chunk o nuts

Belichick is the great equalizer. The Vikings had three #1 picks in this draft, they came away from it with one servicable inline threat receiver, a stiff albiet a fast one of a corner and a third round talent at defensive tackle.  But considering this is the same team that took Christian Ponder high in the 1st round this isn't surprising.  The notion that BB is a bad draft day talent evaluator is BS, the way this draft fell in the 1st makes the 2nd and 3rd like another 1st and 2nd round for us...

Going through the last 5 years BB is about league average in the 2-4th rounds. He's slightly better in the later rounds but later rounds aren't expected to be starters so it's easier to find a STer then a starter. We all marvel at BB's hits (Gronk, Hern, Spikes, Ridley) but he also picks on average 2 more players in those rounds then the average GM so % wise of misses vs hits he falls right in line. Lets hope that he finds more of the ones listed above and less of the Ras, Price, Tate, Braces

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

We all marvel at BB's hits (Gronk, Hern, Spikes, Ridley) but he also picks on average 2 more players in those rounds then the average GM so % wise of misses vs hits he falls right in line. Lets hope that he finds more of the ones listed above and less of the Ras, Price, Tate, Braces 

We also dismiss all of the undrafted free agent gems he walks away with after the draft that he could have otherwise spent a pick on.  Give a lethal marksman more bullets to fire and he'll hit more targets, it might also be noted he has more picks due to his wheeling and dealing.  Belichick is the best talent evaluator in the game, the draft is an inexact science but nobody does it better than he.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

We all marvel at BB's hits (Gronk, Hern, Spikes, Ridley) but he also picks on average 2 more players in those rounds then the average GM so % wise of misses vs hits he falls right in line. Lets hope that he finds more of the ones listed above and less of the Ras, Price, Tate, Braces 

We also dismiss all of the undrafted free agent gems he walks away with after the draft that he could have otherwise spent a pick on.  Give a lethal marksman more bullets to fire and he'll hit more targets, it might also be noted he has more picks due to his wheeling and dealing.  Belichick is the best talent evaluator in the game, the draft is an inexact science but nobody does it better than he.

He makes great UDFA choices I'll give him that but how many of those give the same impact as players typically found in rounds 1-3? Not to mention every GM can sgn UDFA's and BB tends to sign more then every team but Tampa. So I like BB's late picks but it's rare he finds ones that make an impact (yes I know Brady is one). I want more Wilforks and Vollmers and not as many Francis, Arringtons, and Deadricks on my team. I want depth but I also want as many high talent players I can get without hurting that depth either. Given the current roster I'm not sure depth is an issue (except on WR and CB) but we are lacking in a higher end pass rusher, a reliable high end WR, and a good coverage LB which all are hard to find in the late-UDFA areas

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I want more Wilforks and Vollmers and not as many Francis, Arringtons, and Deadricks on my team. I want depth but I also want as many high talent players I can get without hurting that depth either. Given the current roster I'm not sure depth is an issue (except on WR and CB) but we are lacking in a higher end pass rusher, a reliable high end WR, and a good coverage LB which all are hard to find in the late-UDFA areas

Franics is young and was undrafted so I find it hard to judge him so harshly, somebody has to play special teams, not everybody can start.  Arrington for what it's worth is probably one of the best nickel corners in the league, he has a specialized role and has been exposed when they've had to move him outside his comfort zone, that being said I don't use a hammer to saw a board in half either.  Deaderick will be a solid bench player, may even accumulate sacks as a situational rusher like Bobby Hamilton but obviously is not a starter.  It's not like BB hasn't tried to lure guys like Red Bryant to come play here, but had he overpaid we wouldn't have been able to re-sign  Vollmer, Talib or others.  Chandler Jones is a high end passrusher, we need a high end DT inside next to Wilfork to free Jones up to do his job, nothing happens in a vacuum in football, everybody depends on the guy next to them.  BB does pretty good year in year out, the way to judge is by his record.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I want more Wilforks and Vollmers and not as many Francis, Arringtons, and Deadricks on my team. I want depth but I also want as many high talent players I can get without hurting that depth either. Given the current roster I'm not sure depth is an issue (except on WR and CB) but we are lacking in a higher end pass rusher, a reliable high end WR, and a good coverage LB which all are hard to find in the late-UDFA areas

Franics is young and was undrafted so I find it hard to judge him so harshly, somebody has to play special teams, not everybody can start.  Arrington for what it's worth is probably one of the best nickel corners in the league, he has a specialized role and has been exposed when they've had to move him outside his comfort zone, that being said I don't use a hammer to saw a board in half either.  Deaderick will be a solid bench player, may even accumulate sacks as a situational rusher like Bobby Hamilton but obviously is not a starter.  It's not like BB hasn't tried to lure guys like Red Bryant to come play here, but had he overpaid we wouldn't have been able to re-sign  Vollmer, Talib or others.  Chandler Jones is a high end passrusher, we need a high end DT inside next to Wilfork to free Jones up to do his job, nothing happens in a vacuum in football, everybody depends on the guy next to them.  BB does pretty good year in year out, the way to judge is by his record.

I'm not being harse. I actually love Francis but I wouldn't want Francis to be an everyday starter would you? What I'm saying is I want the starters to be full with as many high talent players as possible (there are some starting positions holes to fill) and the depth I want to fill with Francis and Deadricks.

So I'd rather be picking closer to the front of the draft for starters then trading back looking for depth pieces if we already have good depth to begin with

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I'm not being harse. I actually love Francis but I wouldn't want Francis to be an everyday starter would you? What I'm saying is I want the starters to be full with as many high talent players as possible (there are some starting positions holes to fill) and the depth I want to fill with Francis and Deadricks.

So I'd rather be picking closer to the front of the draft for starters then trading back looking for depth pieces if we already have good depth to begin with 

I think the way the draft played out in the 1st round most of the best players at our need positions are still sitting there.  Star Louie was my highest rated defensive tackle, every other player at that position I had the Pats taking with 29 are still sitting on the board.  Trufant was the best corner available IMO, the next best were Jamar Taylor, Dwayne Gratz, David Amerson, Will Davis, Logan Ryan, Darius Slay all still sitting there.  WR's there are too many to mention... 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I think the way the draft played out in the 1st round most of the best players at our need positions are still sitting there.  Star Louie was my highest rated defensive tackle, every other player at that position I had the Pats taking with 29 are still sitting on the board.  Trufant was the best corner available IMO, the next best were Jamar Taylor, Dwayne Gratz, David Amerson, Will Davis, Logan Ryan, Darius Slay all still sitting there.  WR's there are too many to mention... 

oh there's still good players on the board so I'm going to wait until I see the players they take before making a decision on the trade however, if they pass on Hunt or Woods and it turns out to be another Matthews (which BB himself said was a mistake and most on this board wanted Matthews badly) then I think we can crack down on the trade and be harsh about it

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to APpats21's comment:

Hey mb what do you think about CB Tharold Simon? Hes 6'3 and has some nice ball skills. He was projected to go in the mid rounds but he got arrested for "public intimidation" yesterday so he could probably be had later. Thoughts?

Kinda stiff, but has that size/length that teams covet... I prefer UGA's Sanders Commings... he too has some off the field/maturity questions, but I think he has better movement ability and is also good sized kid (almost 6 feet, 216 pounts) who could also play some S.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

In response to Faucetman's comment:

Mike Reiss in his latest mock as us taking Wreh-Wilson at 52 and Markus Wheaton at 59.  Both Margus Hunt and Robert Woods were still on his board at 52.  I will throw a beer bottle at my TV if we take another UCONN CB in the 2nd round.  Incidently, Reiss has Woods coming off at 53 to CIN and Hunt at 56 to SEA.

I hear ya, Stay away from UCONN with DB's. If Woods is there, that  would be my pick, unless there is a higher rated CB there I like.

I'm with you.  If Woods lasts to 52, we better run to the podium.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

This is what NE could pick from tonight in the 2-3 range.  I think you have to feel good that they could get 4 of these guys.

Quarterbacks 
    Geno Smith (West Virginia) 
    Ryan Nassib (Syracuse) 
    Mike Glennon (North Carolina State) 
    Matt Barkley (USC) 
    Tyler Wilson (Arkansas) 

Running Backs 
    Eddie Lacy (Alabama) 
    Giovani Bernard (North Carolina) 
    Johnathan Franklin (UCLA) 
    Montee Ball (Wisconsin) 
    Le'Veon Bell (Michigan State) 
    Andre Ellington (Clemson) 
    Christine Michael (Texas A&M) 
    Knile Davis (Arkansas) 

Wide Receivers 
    Justin Hunter (Tennessee) 
    Da'Rick Rogers (Tennessee Tech) 
    Keenan Allen (Cal) 
    Robert Woods (USC) 
    Stedman Bailey (West Virginia) 
    Ryan Swope (Texas A&M) 
    Markus Wheaton (Oregon State) 
    Aaron Dobson (Marshall) 
    Quinton Patton (Louisiana Tech) 

Tight Ends 
    Zach Ertz (Stanford) 
    Travis Kelce (Cincinnati) 
    Gavin Escobar (San Diego State) 
    Jordan Reed (Florida) 
    Vance McDonald (Rice) 

Offensive Linemen 
    OT Menelik Watson (Florida State) 
    OT Terron Armstead (Arkansas-Pine Bluff) 
    OG Larry Warford (Kentucky) 
    OG Brian Winters (Kent State) 
    OG Dallas Thomas (Tennessee) 
    OT Reid Fragel (Ohio State) 
    OG David Bakhtiari (Colorado) 

Defensive Linemen 
    DT Jesse Williams (Alabama) 
    DE Tank Carradine (Florida State) 
    DE Margus Hunt (SMU) 
    DE Damontre Moore (Texas A&M) 
    DT Johnathan Hankins (Ohio State) 
    DE Corey Lemonier (Auburn) 
    DE Alex Okafor (Texas) 
    DT John Jenkins (Georgia) 
    DT Brandon Williams (Mississippi Southern State) 
    DE Cornelius Washington (Georgia) 
    DE Quanterus Smith (Western Kentucky) 
    DT Kawann Short (Purdue) 

Linebackers 
    Arthur Brown (Kansas State) 
    Manti Te'o (Notre Dame) 
    Kevin Minter (LSU) 
    Sio Moore (Connecticut) 
    Jamie Collins (Southern Miss) 
    Jon Bostic (Florida) 
    Zaviar Gooden (Missouri) 
    Khaseem Greene (Rutgers) 

Defensive Backs 
    S Johnathan Cyprien (Florida International) 
    CB Jamar Taylor (Boise State) 
    S D.J. Swearinger (South Carolina) 
    S Bacarri Rambo (Georgia) 
    CB Johnthan Banks (Mississippi State) 
    CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson (Connecticut) 
    CB Jordan Poyer (Oregon State) 
    S Shamarko Thomas (Syracuse) 
    CB Darius Slay (Mississippi State) 
    S Phillip Thomas (Fresno State) 
    CB Tyrann Mathieu (LSU) 
    S J.J. Wilcox (Georgia Southern) 
    CB Sanders Commings (Georgia) 
    S Earl Wolff (North Carolina State) 
    CB B.W. Webb (William & Mary) 
    CB Dwayne Gratz (Connecticut) 
    CB Robert Alford (SE Louisiana) 
    CB Leon McFadden (San Diego State) 
    CB David Amerson (North Carolina State)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

jjd - since you listed more players then there are picks in those 2 rounds and the Pats have 4 of those picks I would say it's a good bet that they will pick at least 2 of the players you listed

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Day 2 Predictions (2/2 for my Day One predictions, though the Pats could still take Jamar Taylor):

1. Pats will not use either of their currrent 2nd Round picks-one will be moved up into the upper half of the round, the other will be moved very early into the 3rd, with the Pats adding a late 4th or early 5th.

2. Barrett Jones will be a Patriot by the end of the night.

3. Ryan Mallett will be dealt to Cleveland for their 3rd round pick and a 2014 conditional 1st, which becomes a 2nd if Mallett plays in fewer than 8 games.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Mike Reiss in his latest mock as us taking Wreh-Wilson at 52 and Markus Wheaton at 59.  Both Margus Hunt and Robert Woods were still on his board at 52.  I will throw a beer bottle at my TV if we take another UCONN CB in the 2nd round.  Incidently, Reiss has Woods coming off at 53 to CIN and Hunt at 56 to SEA.

I hear ya, Stay away from UCONN with DB's. If Woods is there, that  would be my pick, unless there is a higher rated CB there I like.

ive been saying sincee reh-wilson interview that he looks and sounds exaclty liek a bb guiy

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

All the experts say that this is the deepest draft in years and that there is very little difference after the first 10 picks or so between the rest of the first rounders and 2nd and 3rd rounders and that there are starters to be had all the way into the 4th round.  That said, based on where we were at 29 and the players available at that spot, at that time, I had Ogletree, Hunt and Woods as my top desires for us.  Ogletree would have upgraded two positions as I would have moved Hightower inside and had Ogletree outside with Mayo as Ogletree as a former safety can really cover.  But that idea is now shot. 

Minter or Te'o would certainly upgrade Spikes on passing downs and provide a nice hedge should we loose him after the season to free agency, however, neither will be there at 52.  I don't see any other MLBs that would be 3 down players better than Spikes so we will likely continue to have to use sub packages.

But, we still need to address our biggest need, WR.  Woods and Hunter are my top 2 choices at this point.  I doubt either make it to 52 so perhaps we should package 2 picks and go get one of them.  Or, more likely we will sit tight and wait for an Allen, Williams, Wheaton or Patton. 

I also would very much like to get back up for Margus Hunt.  I don't see him lasting very long today.

id take carradine first, but i do hope we get one of the top des

couple big wrs

cb

etc

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

gotta get atleast one of Hunter/Woods/Dobson/Allen/Patton/Bailey

dobson rogers

woods rogers

rogers hunter (but i see hunter going top 2)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

"Day 2 Predictions (2/2 for my Day One predictions, though the Pats could still take Jamar Taylor):

1. Pats will not use either of their currrent 2nd Round picks-one will be moved up into the upper half of the round, the other will be moved very early into the 3rd, with the Pats adding a late 4th or early 5th.

2. Barrett Jones will be a Patriot by the end of the night.

3. Ryan Mallett will be dealt to Cleveland for their 3rd round pick and a 2014 conditional 1st, which becomes a 2nd if Mallett plays in fewer than 8 games."

i like it except fro the drop down

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to APpats21's comment:

Hey mb what do you think about CB Tharold Simon? Hes 6'3 and has some nice ball skills. He was projected to go in the mid rounds but he got arrested for "public intimidation" yesterday so he could probably be had later. Thoughts?

Kinda stiff, but has that size/length that teams covet... I prefer UGA's Sanders Commings... he too has some off the field/maturity questions, but I think he has better movement ability and is also good sized kid (almost 6 feet, 216 pounts) who could also play some S.

yep

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

simon... love it

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

+1

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Couldn't believe last night as guys came off the board just how many times the commentators found fault or praised faintly.  I was shocked this happened so much in the first round:  "I just don't think he's that great a receiver, actually a junior college receiver, doesn't catch well with his hands, didn't play well against better competition, drops too many passes, doesn't run consistent routes..."  or "I don't get the Jets taking this guy with so many other needs and with so many other players at this position available..." or "Why wouldn't they take a tight end here when they need one so badly, they're crying for one.  I don't think this guy is even a good lineman at this point."  Or "This guy has the bloodlines, his father and his brother, and he's ok from the waist down but he needs a lot of work up top.  He's very basic with his technique and needs a ton of work up top."  This happened over and over, I don't recall hearing so much negativity in the first round.  So I came away thinking it was a great move for us to trade out at 29.  Of course, as someone said here, it depends of who we take...I thought we got a good return for moving out.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to Critter23's comment:

Couldn't believe last night as guys came off the board just how many times the commentators found fault or praised faintly.  I was shocked this happened so much in the first round:  "I just don't think he's that great a receiver, actually a junior college receiver, doesn't catch well with his hands, didn't play well against better competition, drops too many passes, doesn't run consistent routes..."  or "I don't get the Jets taking this guy with so many other needs and with so many other players at this position available..." or "Why wouldn't they take a tight end here when they need one so badly, they're crying for one.  I don't think this guy is even a good lineman at this point."  Or "This guy has the bloodlines, his father and his brother, and he's ok from the waist down but he needs a lot of work up top.  He's very basic with his technique and needs a ton of work up top."  This happened over and over, I don't recall hearing so much negativity in the first round.  So I came away thinking it was a great move for us to trade out at 29.  Of course, as someone said here, it depends of who we take...I thought we got a good return for moving out.

that might have been me. probably said it 3 trimes to 3 diff people celebrating.

how ya been critter?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Or how about the qb from W Virginia in the Green Room..."He must have a lot of friends at ESPN because I don't even think he's the best QB in the draft."  Sort of a mantra I heard more than once was, "A lot of guys who haven't been drafted yet have better skills than this guy."

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

This is what NE could pick from tonight in the 2-3 range.  I think you have to feel good that they could get 4 of these guys.

Quarterbacks 
    Geno Smith (West Virginia) 
    Ryan Nassib (Syracuse) 
    Mike Glennon (North Carolina State) 
    Matt Barkley (USC) 
    Tyler Wilson (Arkansas) 

Running Backs 
    Eddie Lacy (Alabama) 
    Giovani Bernard (North Carolina) 
    Johnathan Franklin (UCLA) 
    Montee Ball (Wisconsin) 
    Le'Veon Bell (Michigan State) 
    Andre Ellington (Clemson) 
    Christine Michael (Texas A&M) 
    Knile Davis (Arkansas) 

Wide Receivers 
    Justin Hunter (Tennessee) 
    Da'Rick Rogers (Tennessee Tech) 
    Keenan Allen (Cal) 
    Robert Woods (USC) 
    Stedman Bailey (West Virginia) 
    Ryan Swope (Texas A&M) 
    Markus Wheaton (Oregon State) 
    Aaron Dobson (Marshall) 
    Quinton Patton (Louisiana Tech) 

Tight Ends 
    Zach Ertz (Stanford) 
    Travis Kelce (Cincinnati) 
    Gavin Escobar (San Diego State) 
    Jordan Reed (Florida) 
    Vance McDonald (Rice) 

Offensive Linemen 
    OT Menelik Watson (Florida State) 
    OT Terron Armstead (Arkansas-Pine Bluff) 
    OG Larry Warford (Kentucky) 
    OG Brian Winters (Kent State) 
    OG Dallas Thomas (Tennessee) 
    OT Reid Fragel (Ohio State) 
    OG David Bakhtiari (Colorado) 

Defensive Linemen 
    DT Jesse Williams (Alabama) 
    DE Tank Carradine (Florida State) 
    DE Margus Hunt (SMU) 
    DE Damontre Moore (Texas A&M) 
    DT Johnathan Hankins (Ohio State) 
    DE Corey Lemonier (Auburn) 
    DE Alex Okafor (Texas) 
    DT John Jenkins (Georgia) 
    DT Brandon Williams (Mississippi Southern State) 
    DE Cornelius Washington (Georgia) 
    DE Quanterus Smith (Western Kentucky) 
    DT Kawann Short (Purdue) 

Linebackers 
    Arthur Brown (Kansas State) 
    Manti Te'o (Notre Dame) 
    Kevin Minter (LSU) 
    Sio Moore (Connecticut) 
    Jamie Collins (Southern Miss) 
    Jon Bostic (Florida) 
    Zaviar Gooden (Missouri) 
    Khaseem Greene (Rutgers) 

Defensive Backs 
    S Johnathan Cyprien (Florida International) 
    CB Jamar Taylor (Boise State) 
    S D.J. Swearinger (South Carolina) 
    S Bacarri Rambo (Georgia) 
    CB Johnthan Banks (Mississippi State) 
    CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson (Connecticut) 
    CB Jordan Poyer (Oregon State) 
    S Shamarko Thomas (Syracuse) 
    CB Darius Slay (Mississippi State) 
    S Phillip Thomas (Fresno State) 
    CB Tyrann Mathieu (LSU) 
    S J.J. Wilcox (Georgia Southern) 
    CB Sanders Commings (Georgia) 
    S Earl Wolff (North Carolina State) 
    CB B.W. Webb (William & Mary) 
    CB Dwayne Gratz (Connecticut) 
    CB Robert Alford (SE Louisiana) 
    CB Leon McFadden (San Diego State) 
    CB David Amerson (North Carolina State)

Using JJD's list above, I looked at who might be available at 52, if the first 20 teams in the second round pick according to Mayock's ranking of remaining players. In bold and black font are the prospects who will be available in this scenario. 

I must point out that the 32 kids picked so far are all in Mayock's top 43. 

No doubt, the trade down itself is not an issue at all. It will boil down to who they pick of those available.

The question for you guys is who are the individuals on this list that you don't want BB to pick

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts