***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to Godvernment's comment:

91. Patriots S Duron Harmon

92. Rams WR Stedman Bailey

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bettrer moves this year and last.

one of the many teams making leaps. they jsut have had to come form the cellar.

not so true of packer,s sf, seattle, etc

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

There isn't a single player we took today that I am excited about.  Zero starters.  2 of 4 probably aren't worthy of even making the team.  Isn't it wonderful having so many picks just to watch us pee them away?  What is this, Rutgers or bust because BB is buddies?  Like Tavon Wilson, another safety nobody cares about.

I was so sick after pick 83 that I wrote down 6 players for 91 that if we had taken one, I would feel like we did something.

Patton

Schwenke

Bailey

Rambo

Swope

Stepfan Taylor

Nope we reached 3 rounds for Du-Who Harmon!!!  What is Kraft spending his money on??  Honestly.  The Pats cannot run a draft.

finally someone else wil admit what weve been seeing.

coach ok

maybe even co gm, long as he doesnt have the final say.

as i worte last year and the year before kraft has just been too afraid bb leaves if he cant have all the marbles. but if kraft still has all his, he should be able to see there are approx 8 gms in the league who are at the top and with their talent and a fairly good coach, a championship can be won. (john harbaugh aint all that). its worth the risk bob. be the boss and bning in a gm

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

A few thoughts on their Day 2 picks:

1.  Curious as to how they'll use Jamie Collins... looks like a move type player that they could used all over the field... particulary on 3rd down... believe PE was high on this kid, credit to him.

2.  Aaron Dobson... I had other WR's rated higher, but tough to knock the pick... good size, good hands, tough kid at a need position.  He was a popular name on the draft thread.

3.  I've been high on Logan Ryan for quite a while (mocked him to NE in Rd 3) as he possesses a good combo of what BB values in his CB's... moves well, tough, smart, physical, tackles well, effective blitzer and got his and on a ton of footballs the past couple seasons (17 PBU, 4 INT's in 2012 and 13/4 in 2011).

4.  Duron Harmon... Like most, I don't have much on this kid (He did lead Rutgers in INT's 2011 with 5),  look forward to researching him... but yeah, can't say I'm happy with the pick considering the other players left on the board... we'll see if he's the physical S presence that they could use longterm. 

logan ryan.," ran a 4.54. belived to need a cover 2 zone to cover his lack of speed. cant cover 1 on 1. speculated that he may move to saftety."

thats a need.

hell there was and is mcuh more talent at their position on the board.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

1.  Curious as to how they'll use Jamie Collins... looks like a move type player that they could used all over the field... particulary on 3rd down... believe PE was high on this kid, credit to him.

2.  Aaron Dobson... I had other WR's rated higher, but tough to knock the pick... good size, good hands, tough kid at a need position.  He was a popular name on the draft thread.

3.  I've been high on Logan Ryan for quite a while (mocked him to NE in Rd 3) as he possesses a good combo of what BB values in his CB's... moves well, tough, smart, physical, tackles well, effective blitzer and got his and on a ton of footballs the past couple seasons (17 PBU, 4 INT's in 2012 and 13/4 in 2011).

4.  Duron Harmon... Like most, I don't have much on this kid (He did lead Rutgers in INT's 2011 with 5),  look forward to researching him... but yeah, can't say I'm happy with the pick considering the other players left on the board... we'll see if he's the physical S presence that they could use longterm. 

I really like the Dobson and Ryan picks. Collins is versatile but unpolished and I think they want to develop him with spikes and nink heading into their contract years. I think we will see him on 3rd down as he has decent pass coverage skills...also expect to see him a ton on ST.

the one pick i am a loss for words on his Huron. W T F ? We will be looking back on this pick with regret as the Rams drafted our kid Bailey just 1 pick later. Should have grabbed Bailey and this draft would have been much better. 

Who is left on the board of note for our pick in round 4?

no reason to look back can regret it soon as it was made

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to AyyyBoston's comment:

What WRs are still available besides Da'Rick Rogers? I have to wonder if the double dip is possible with that 4th round pick...

Patton, Rogers, Swope are the most notable that are left...I want Patton

hes more polished, but rogers hs more upside.

patton and charles johnson perhaps.

nah i want rogers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I don't know what I would grade this draft on paper. I know it takes a few years to figure it out, but I have mixed feelings about these picks. Don't love any of them. I think there is potential , but I don't see a kid that is going to contribute heavily day 1. And, we at least need Dobson to do this given our WR situation. Does this indicate Lloyd is on his way back? or perhaps another vet in the mix?something has to give here unless Dobson picks upmthismoffense early.

we are in round 4, and I think now is the time to double dip on WR. A few good ones left. I am wanting Patton or Rogers like a lot of others

i expect to see Lloyd walking through those doors soon. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

For what it's worth... DraftNasty.com... a site started/run by former NFL Player Corey Chavous and his father, former NFL player and coach (for 28 total years with the Broncos) Barney Chavous ranked Jamie Collins as their #18 overall prospect and Logan Ryan as their #49 overall prospect... they also had Dobson at #99 overall and Harmon as a 5th rounder.

They watch 3-5 full games on any player prior to providing a grade.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I really like the Dobson and Ryan picks. Collins is versatile but unpolished and I think they want to develop him with spikes and nink heading into their contract years. I think we will see him on 3rd down as he has decent pass coverage skills...also expect to see him a ton on ST.

the one pick i am a loss for words on his Huron. W T F ? We will be looking back on this pick with regret as the Rams drafted our kid Bailey just 1 pick later. Should have grabbed Bailey and this draft would have been much better. 

Who is left on the board of note for our pick in round 4?

Actually, on balance I would have preferred the player immediately taken after our pick.  I think it would have been a better draft. 

NE PICK 52 LB Jamie Collins

CIN PICK 53 DE Margus Hunt

NE PICK 59 WR Aaron Dobson

ATL PICK 60 CB Robert Alford

NE PICK 83 CB Logan Ryan

CIN PICK 84 SS Shawn Williams

NE PICK 91 SS Duron Harmon

STL PICK 92 WR Steadman Bailey

I have hopes for Collins and Dobson but not much for the other two, especially Harmon who was an undrafteable player.  Just like we reached 4-5 rounds for Tavon Wilson last year, we wasted another high pick on another nobody safety that nobody else wanted.  Why have a scouting dept?  BB can just call up Schiano the day of the draft and ask him which Rutgers player he should take.  Duron Harmon at pick 91?  What a waste!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I don't know what I would grade this draft on paper. I know it takes a few years to figure it out, but I have mixed feelings about these picks. Don't love any of them. I think there is potential , but I don't see a kid that is going to contribute heavily day 1. And, we at least need Dobson to do this given our WR situation. Does this indicate Lloyd is on his way back? or perhaps another vet in the mix?something has to give here unless Dobson picks upmthismoffense early.

we are in round 4, and I think now is the time to double dip on WR. A few good ones left. I am wanting Patton or Rogers like a lot of others

i expect to see Lloyd walking through those doors soon. 

I am with you Lifer.  Time to take another WR.  For me, I'd take Ryan Swope if there.  We have to plan on Amendola missing 10 games and Edelman 6 and need some back-up in the slot.  But, we'll probably take Matt Barkley if there because BB probably has him as the highest rated player remaining which is fine because it worked out with Brady.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from braunzy. Show braunzy's posts

For what it's worth... DraftNasty.com... a site started/run by former NFL Player Corey Chavous and his father, former NFL player and coach (for 28 total years with the Broncos) Barney Chavous ranked Jamie Collins as their #18 overall prospect and Logan Ryan as their #49 overall prospect... they also had Dobson at #99 overall and Harmon as a 5th rounder.

Collins sounds very interesting,  almost like a poor man's Von Miller. DE, 3-4 OLB, Safety, 4-3 OLB, is explosive and obviously very versatile. I think he will immediately help the Pats 3rd down defense. Hopefully he pans out.

With the 2 Rutger picks the Pats all of a sudden have a lot of depth in their secondary.  

On a side note, I think everyone needs to back off about the Rutger safety, i mean how many times are these "experts" totally off the mark anyway.  And it's not like they took him with their first round pick anyway, they got a guy they believe they can develop in the third round. I'm happy they trusted their instincts, scouts and sources and not some draft website or youtube video to make their selection.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

CBS graded us as follows:

Collins A+

Dobson C

Ryan B+

Harmon D

Like you, I'm interested to see what the Collins pick means.  Mayock called him one of the most explosive players in the draft.  That is re-assuring.  My initial reaction was that we just drafted Hightower and that this pick was redundant.  So, I'm wondering if BB plans to use him inside instead of Spikes to get a little more athletic for passing downs.  Or is it to be a hedge to possibily losing Ninko after next season?  Beats me. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to braunzy's comment:

Collins sounds very interesting,  almost like a poor man's Von Miller. DE, 3-4 OLB, Safety, 4-3 OLB, is explosive and obviously very versatile. I think he will immediately help the Pats 3rd down defense. Hopefully he pans out.

With the 2 Rutger picks the Pats all of a sudden have a lot of depth in their secondary.  

On a side note, I think everyone needs to back off about the Rutger safety, i mean how many times are these "experts" totally off the mark anyway.  And it's not like they took him with their first round pick anyway, they got a guy they believe they can develop in the third round. I'm happy they trusted their instincts, scouts and sources and not some draft website or youtube video to make their selection.

I'm okay with a little nepotism but at least draft the player in reasonable proximity to where the rest of the world has him rated.  CBS had him as their 413th rated prospect.  I bet we could of had him with any of our 7th rounders and taken Steadman Bailey instead who most of us were very high on.

As for Collins, yeah, he could be something - better than Ninkovich in time.  Dobson is a worthwhile gamble.  But the pair of Rutgers' DBs, I can see taking one of them (Ryan) but we didn't need to draft two DBs high.  There isn't a place for both on our roster without cutting someone who is better.  Our history of drafting 2-3 round DBs has been horrible in recent years.  If we want to take a long shot on someone, do it with late round picks where we've had some success not in the early rounds.  I'm sorry but Harmon was a wasted pick at the place we took him just like Wilson was last year.  Our biggest need is WR and instead we doubled down on DBs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

We'll know soon what we do in Round 4 but had we stayed put we could of had our choice of the following at our assigned spots:

29: Patterson, Elam, Ogletree, Cyprien, Hunter, Ertz, Carradine, Woods

59: Dobson, Lacy, Alford, Warford, Mathieu, Terrance Williams, John Jenkins

91:  Bailey, Montgomery, Gooden, etc.

I think I would have preferred any combination of the above 3 players vs. the 4 we took. 

I'd rather have taken Elam or Cyprien over both the DBs we took.

We could of had a big nasty guard or DT or the top rated RB instead of Dobson.

And we could of had the next Deion Branch in Bailey instead of Harmon.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

Did anyone notice they were running out of time on the last pick. I thought they might miss it--maybe working out a trade and ran out of time so grabbed Harmon. But I wouldn't think Belichick would be that careless.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

I honestly think I am done. Been following the Pats draft for decades but it's just a bad acid trip now. The smug hoodie has been called a genius so often that we barely question his taking a player at 91 who was ranked 413th by one service. And at a position that is stacked at that.

I swear he does it just to snub his nose at the experts (Kiper, McShay ets) and worse than that at the draftniks - us. Well, next year he can insult someone else.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

I'm okay with a little nepotism but at least draft the player in reasonable proximity to where the rest of the world has him rated.  CBS had him as their 413th rated prospect.  I bet we could of had him with any of our 7th rounders and taken Steadman Bailey instead who most of us were very high on.

As for Collins, yeah, he could be something - better than Ninkovich in time.  Dobson is a worthwhile gamble.  But the pair of Rutgers' DBs, I can see taking one of them (Ryan) but we didn't need to draft two DBs high.  There isn't a place for both on our roster without cutting someone who is better.  Our history of drafting 2-3 round DBs has been horrible in recent years.  If we want to take a long shot on someone, do it with late round picks where we've had some success not in the early rounds.  I'm sorry but Harmon was a wasted pick at the place we took him just like Wilson was last year.  Our biggest need is WR and instead we doubled down on DBs.

True. This is why I think one of 2 things happen

1. Bb cuts ebner...I think he holds on to Gregory, but honestly,ni wouldn't mind Gregory getting let go

2. Ebner or Huron go to the ps. Weird though that a pick 91 would or may be a ps player

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

What if NE takes K. Greene from Rutgers?  Are we going back to a 3-4?  Collins 34OLB, Greene in that Cover LB Role????  Any opinions?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

You know, that's not a bad comparison... now this isn't to say that he's he same level of player as Miller (as you mentioned), but he does present a similar versatile, athletic skill set and is roughly the same size.

I agree, credit to them for staying true to their boad, I woulda loved to have seen them take plenty of others, but they're clearly high on this kid.  Look forward to seeing what he can do.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

The 12 Players that I'd most like to see at 102 or early in Rd 4 if they trade back a bit:

DT- Jesse Williams

DT- Chris Jones

WR- Quinton Patton

WR- Ryan Swope

WR- Da'Rick Rogers

WR- Ace Sanders

WR- Chris Harper

WR- Josh Boyce

OL- Barrett Jones

OL- Brian Schwenke

TE- Nick Kasa

TE- Levine Toilolo

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from braunzy. Show braunzy's posts

The 12 Players that I'd most like to see at 102 or early in Rd 4 if they trade back a bit:

DT- Jesse Williams

DT- Chris Jones

WR- Quinton Patton

WR- Ryan Swope

WR- Da'Rick Rogers

WR- Ace Sanders

WR- Chris Harper

WR- Josh Boyce

OL- Barrett Jones

OL- Brian Schwenke

TE- Nick Kasa

TE- Levine Toilolo

I like it! I wouldn't be surprised with another couple of head scratchers though! But they can still get some really good football players that's forsure

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

Changed my mind  -  Alex Okafor.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

DT- Jesse Williams

DT- Chris Jones

WR- Quinton Patton

WR- Ryan Swope

WR- Da'Rick Rogers

WR- Ace Sanders

WR- Chris Harper

WR- Josh Boyce

OL- Barrett Jones

OL- Brian Schwenke

TE- Nick Kasa

TE- Levine Toilolo

Bang!

Very good speed/triangle #'s... tough kid, not tall, but solid build.  Good pick.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Bang!

Very good spee/triangle #'s... tough kid, not tall, but solid build.  Good pick.

[/QUOTE]

Good call MB! Taking your word taht he can play I know nothing of this guy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Jesse's knee situation must be pretty serious for him to drop this far, though at some point the value has to outweigh the risk.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Good for Marcus Lattimore... great situation/opportunity for him in SF!  I'm rooting for the kid.

Sections
Shortcuts