Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***
posted at 4/28/2013 11:06 AM EDT
In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
Hey Guys. Well, after the dust has settled, I must say that I am very pleased with our 2013 draft class. Of course the Harmon pick was a head-scratcher, but it just isn't a BB draft without at least one of those! I love the Collins pick. The guy is an amazing athlete and I have little doubt that he will develop into an impact pass-rusher, regardless of where they choose to line him up. Dobson looks to be a great fit as well. I love the fact that he catched everything! I had Logan Ryan as a late 2nd round pick, so I feel that we got a very good player in him as well. Tough CB who can cover. Can't have too many of those. My favorite pick was Boyce at 102. I love this guy's size/speed, and I think him and Dobson can come in and fill that outside WR void that we have been so sorely lacking. Buchannen was a great find in the 7th, and with 15 lbs more muscle could be a VERY good DE. I can't believe he was available where we got him. Finally, the 3rd Rutgers player we picked, ILB Beauharnais, looks like he could replace Tracy White. Good value in the 7th again. There were flashier names available at times than the guys we took, but I thought BB did a really good job of finding very talented players who FIT OUR SYSTEM. That is the key, and the part that is tough for us fans to project sometimes. I bet that 2 years from now we will look back on this as a very successful draft, as I truly believe that most, if not all of the guys who we drafted this year will stick on the 53 and be very good players. One last thing...Don't sleep on our UDFA class this year. That looks like a nice group of players as well!
Good post, WW...
Sure there are players that I woulda preferred, particularly with the Harmon pick, but overall I'm satisfied with this class.
1. The more I read about Collins, the more I'm excited to see what he can do... admittedly, prob shoulda given this kid a longer look this season, but his lack of prototype size (rumored to have played a lot lighter than 250 this season... gaining a good amount for the post season events) is what lead me to other players.
2 Dobson has good size and I'm excited to see what he can do, but I still would've taken Stedman Bailey over him all day... clearly BB/NC disagree, ha.
3. I too loved the Logan Ryan pick, had him as a Rd 2 kid most of the year... very good fit for their zone coverage schemes, tackles (we know BB loves CB's who can tackle) and will contribte on ST.
4. I too liked the Boyce pick and he's essentially a Rd 3 kid having been taken at 102... he's another prototype BB WR witht he speed/quicks/COD that you mention and love that he has the potential to line up all over the field.
5. Buchanan is a steal in Rd 7.
6. Beauharnais is also a steal in Rd 7 and I had similar thoughts as you in regards to him being a potential replacement for Tracy White. White is a very good ST player, but Beauharnais should provide much more as an actual LB. Plus the first 4 letters in his last name are awesome ;)