***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to bredbruu's comment:

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

2 new LBs in camp.  I doubt they keep Spikes around when his contract is up.

seems logical and obvious

Problem is, neither gives them what Spikes gives them, a nasty/physical thumper in the middle... I think BB values that part of his game as he's one of the few intimidators on their defense.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

As a few have metioned, I'm definitely impressed with what I've seen from Beauharnais... looks like really good value in Rd 7 and someone who at the very least can contribute on ST and provide depth at LB... and you know BB likes him some players that can tackle.  In fact, there aren't many things that anger me more during the course of a game than missed tackles, ha.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

cmon folks we need 13 more posts to hit 5K before we abandon this thread !

Haha, I think we'll get there!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

So for fun, I checked out WalterFootball's 2014 mock... guess who they're projecting to NE with pick 29 of the 2014 Draft?

Yep, hahaha... Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Link to the list of URFA's thathave been confirmed as signed by NE:

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013/04/2013-patriots-undrafted-free-agent-signings.html

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Anyone else feel this was really a surprising draft? It was almost a shift in philosophy at a couple of areas. One, they look to be going back to the 34, but still the Collins pick doesn't seem like the type they would of made in the past for that position - to me he is very thin and light. The receivers really baffled me - I remember us usually going for the quicker types - not the one's that take a bit to get up to speed. I found that very interesting/confusing.

I really was shocked that Buchanan lasted till the 7th round, he looks like a steal to me. Honestly I thought he looked better than Collins.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

2 new LBs in camp.  I doubt they keep Spikes around when his contract is up.

seems logical and obvious

Problem is, neither gives them what Spikes gives them, a nasty/physical thumper in the middle... I think BB values that part of his game as he's one of the few intimidators on their defense.

I think it's the off field issues that bother BB. I doubt they resign Spikes.Maybe they trade him?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

MB, they signed Moe as a UDFA. I'm actually pretty excited about that

was it mb that saw him as the new indestructo welker?

Yeah, def saw him as a great fit for what they like in their slot WR's... has  Welker's toughness... well no one's as tough as well, but Moe is a tough kid and also has very good short area quicks as evident by his 6.53 3C.. which was one of the top times, if not the top time for any player at the combine.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised to see this kid stick around. With Amendola's history of injuries (and Edelman) he may of chosen the best team to sign with - I can picture this kid catching passes here this fall.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013/04/2013-patriots-undrafted-free-agent-signings.html

So do I MB, so do I

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

was it mb that saw him as the new indestructo welker?

Yeah, def saw him as a great fit for what they like in their slot WR's... has  Welker's toughness... well no one's as tough as well, but Moe is a tough kid and also has very good short area quicks as evident by his 6.53 3C.. which was one of the top times, if not the top time for any player at the combine.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised to see this kid stick around. With Amendola's history of injuries (and Edelman) he may of chosen the best team to sign with - I can picture this kid catching passes here this fall.

Gonna be a fun camp to follow with the additions to the skill positions!

I agree, think this kid has a legit shot to make the active roster at some point during the season and contribute a bit.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

So do I MB, so do I

Hey Low...was this response meant for a different post?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

A few more names that we can add to the early 2014 NFL Draft Discussion:

1.  CB Bradley Roby (5-11 192) OSU- I was hoping this kid would declare as a RS Soph this year, but he returned to school... looks like a complete CB to me... very good cover guy, good feet, speed and plays a physical brand of football.  Top 10 potential, IMO.

2. OLB Kyle Van Noy (6-3 235) BYU- He was discussed a fair amount on the 2013 thread before he decided to return to school.  He'll likely need to add some weight but this kid is fun to watch... making plays all over the field including behind the LOS with 22 TFL and 13 sacks last season... kid is flat out relentless on the football field.

3.  DT Louis "Irish Chocolate" Nix (6-3 347) ND- A big space eater with power at the POA and good feet/lateral movement and experience win both even and odd fronts... could be VW's long term successor.

4.  OLB Adrian Hubbard (6-5 248) Alabama- Very good size/length and athleticism, lead Alabama with 11 TFL and 7 sacks this past season... so the combo of size, skill set and production is enough to get this kind into the discussion.

5.  DE/OLB Trent Murphy (6-4 261) Stanford- Tyical tough, smart, well coached Stanford kid with good length and the ability to make plays behind the LOS (28 TFL, 16.5 Sacks over the last two seasons).

6.  ILB Max Bullough (6-2 252) Michigan State- Could be a replacement for Spikes as that tough, blue collar thumper in the middle.  Very tough and instinctive kid with good power at the POA, shows good instincts and awareness and looks to have the range/movement ability to potentially stay on the field all three downs.

7.  OLB Ryan Shazier (6-2 226) OSU- Would definitely need to on a ton of weight to project to NE's scheme, but like Van Noy, this kid just makes plays.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

So do I MB, so do I

lol oops I thought you were saying you liked the list

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

So do I MB, so do I

lol oops I thought you were saying you liked the list

haha, ahh gotcha... I do love the Moe pickup, that's for sure.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Hey Guys.  Well, after the dust has settled, I must say that I am very pleased with our 2013 draft class.  Of course the Harmon pick was a head-scratcher, but it just isn't a BB draft without at least one of those!  I love the Collins pick.  The guy is an amazing athlete and I have little doubt that he will develop into an impact pass-rusher, regardless of where they choose to line him up.  Dobson looks to be a great fit as well.  I love the fact that he catched everything!  I had Logan Ryan as a late 2nd round pick, so I feel that we got a very good player in him as well.  Tough CB who can cover.  Can't have too many of those.  My favorite pick was Boyce at 102.  I love this guy's size/speed, and I think him and Dobson can come in and fill that outside WR void that we have been so sorely lacking.  Buchannen was a great find in the 7th, and with 15 lbs more muscle could be a VERY good DE.  I can't believe he was available where we got him.  Finally, the 3rd Rutgers player we picked, ILB Beauharnais, looks like he could replace Tracy White.  Good value in the 7th again.  There were flashier names available at times than the guys we took, but I thought BB did a really good job of finding very talented players who FIT OUR SYSTEM.  That is the key, and the part that is tough for us fans to project sometimes.  I bet that 2 years from now we will look back on this as a very successful draft, as I truly believe that most, if not all of the guys who we drafted this year will stick on the 53 and be very good players.  One last thing...Don't sleep on our UDFA class this year.  That looks like a nice group of players as well!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Hey Guys.  Well, after the dust has settled, I must say that I am very pleased with our 2013 draft class.  Of course the Harmon pick was a head-scratcher, but it just isn't a BB draft without at least one of those!  I love the Collins pick.  The guy is an amazing athlete and I have little doubt that he will develop into an impact pass-rusher, regardless of where they choose to line him up.  Dobson looks to be a great fit as well.  I love the fact that he catched everything!  I had Logan Ryan as a late 2nd round pick, so I feel that we got a very good player in him as well.  Tough CB who can cover.  Can't have too many of those.  My favorite pick was Boyce at 102.  I love this guy's size/speed, and I think him and Dobson can come in and fill that outside WR void that we have been so sorely lacking.  Buchannen was a great find in the 7th, and with 15 lbs more muscle could be a VERY good DE.  I can't believe he was available where we got him.  Finally, the 3rd Rutgers player we picked, ILB Beauharnais, looks like he could replace Tracy White.  Good value in the 7th again.  There were flashier names available at times than the guys we took, but I thought BB did a really good job of finding very talented players who FIT OUR SYSTEM.  That is the key, and the part that is tough for us fans to project sometimes.  I bet that 2 years from now we will look back on this as a very successful draft, as I truly believe that most, if not all of the guys who we drafted this year will stick on the 53 and be very good players.  One last thing...Don't sleep on our UDFA class this year.  That looks like a nice group of players as well!

Good post, WW...

Sure there are players that I woulda preferred, particularly with the Harmon pick, but overall I'm satisfied with this class.

1.  The more I read about Collins, the more I'm excited to see what he can do... admittedly,  prob shoulda given this kid a longer look this season, but his lack of prototype size (rumored to have played a lot lighter than 250 this season... gaining a good amount for the post season events) is what lead me to other players.

2  Dobson has good size and I'm excited to see what he can do, but I still would've taken Stedman Bailey over him all day... clearly BB/NC disagree, ha.

3.  I too loved the Logan Ryan pick, had him as a Rd 2 kid most of the year... very good fit for their zone coverage schemes, tackles (we know BB loves CB's who can tackle) and will contribte on ST.

4.  I too liked the Boyce pick and he's essentially a Rd 3 kid having been taken at 102... he's another prototype BB WR witht he speed/quicks/COD that you mention and love that he has the potential to line up all over the field.

5.  Buchanan is a steal in Rd 7.

6.  Beauharnais is also a steal in Rd 7 and I had similar thoughts as you in regards to him being a potential replacement for Tracy White.  White is a very good ST player, but Beauharnais should provide much more as an actual LB.  Plus the first 4 letters in his last name are awesome ;)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Me too.  Hopefully one of these new WRs will become a starter and quick contributer.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

There could be some hidden value in the Boyce pick.

His modest production was due more to playing with a QB that had a hard time completing a pass over 10 yards and with much accuracy... so in other words, if he was playing with a good QB that could make throws down the field, he coulda blown up, had better production (IMO) and might not have been available at 102.

Just a thought.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

CBS Sports assigns the following draft grades to the Pats.

52.   A+     Jamie Collins

59.   C       Aaron Dobson

83.   B+     Logan Ryan

91.   D       Duron Harmon

102. B+     Josh Boyce

226. A       Michael Buchanan

235. B       Steve Beauharnais

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

CBS Sports assigns the following draft grades to the Pats.

52.   A+     Jamie Collins

59.   C       Aaron Dobson

83.   B+     Logan Ryan

91.   D       Duron Harmon

102. B+     Josh Boyce

226. A       Michael Buchanan

235. B       Steve Beauharnais

im excited about mbuchannins possibility. looked relentless.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

I'd give Dobson around a B, and Beauharnais an A based on value.  Collins seems a bit high, but that's ok.  Otherwise it seems OK.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

New England Patriots (Patriots UDFA Analysis)
    Stephon Morris, CB, Penn State
    Quentin Hines, RB, Akron
    Zach Sudfeld, TE, Nevada
    Matt Stankiewitch, OL, Penn State
    T.J. Moe, WR, Missouri
    Josh Kline, OL, Kent State
    Brandon Jones, CB, Rutgers
    Ben Bartholomew, FB, Tennessee
    Kanorris Davis, SS, Troy
    Elvis Fisher, OT, Missouri
    Brandon Ford, TE, Clemson
    Kenbrell Thompkins, WR, Cincinnati
    Ryan Allen, P, La Tech
    Cory Grissom, DT, South Florida
    Chris McDonald, OL, Michigan State
    Dwayne Cherrington, DT, Mississippi State
    Ryan Osiecki, QB, New Haven (Tryout)

For those that wanted a NT, Cherrington is 6'2"  345.  strong 36 lifts @225 and athletic.  He will get double teamed and tie up blockers. Did a lot of that for Miss St. Actually, visited with Ravens.  Could be camp surprise and back-up for Vince.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

In response to Godvernment's comment:

New England Patriots 2014 1st round pick....

Rutgers WR Brandon Coleman 6-6 220

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zhPTLZ3Tdc

ho wmany drops? 40 time?

plus if we can get rogers or johnsoon this year for nothihg udf id try that first

thanks ricky

not sure bred. i just looked through the roster and 2012 stats and saw he will be a junior and led the team in receiving. then i checked out his highlights and the guy has some serious talent. 6-6 220 and he runs away from people with long strides, even took a screen pass to the house after running past 2 defenders. 

i fhes that good prob a top 15 pcik and welll have no shot at him

ow if he gets arrested a couple times hell drop and well not pick him. maybe an injury drops him ot bottom rd 1 then well trade back :)

Sections
Shortcuts