***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

So I am watching a bunch of highlights of Quinton Patton and thinking hey this kids really pretty good, great blocker. Really competitve fire, a leader, etc.

Then I start watching the Utah State game and the guy that jumps out is who the heck is covering him because unlike all the other things I had watched of Patton this guy is all over him.

Turns out to be Will Davis. Anyone watch any film on Davis? Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to Faucetman's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

I heard Lloyd's cap hit was 4.9m if cut...

his cap hit is $4.5mil but his signing bonus was $7.5mil over 3 years so depending when cut it could cost the team 500k for this year and save 5 mil next year or save them 2mil this year and 3mil next year 

$2MM in dead cap space spread out over 2 years according to Bedard.  Still cutting Lloyd really puts us in a bind with ZERO wideouts.  I expect Welker to be extended as I think this was a key reason Brady agreed to restructure.  I also expect Edelman to be back and for us to sign another top flight WR, such as Boldin, Nelson or Jennings.  We might even make a play for Wallace to keep the Dolphins from getting him athough I doubt we would enter a bidding war.

I would not be shocked if this is the year we finally draft a WR in the first round and perhaps again in the 3rd depending what we do with Lloyd and in free agency.  BB has been doubling down on need lately; Gronk/Hernandez and Vereen/Ridley.  WR is a position of a lot of age so a youth movement makes sense also.  With just three premium picks it would be hard to take two WRs especially with so many questions at corner but if Denard avoids jail time and we resign Talib, we could be set there.

hopkins, rogers? (1st and 3rd)

Possibly.  I can't stop thinking about how good Tavon Austin would look in a Pat's uni.  Then come back with a Swope or Williams in the 2nd.  In reality both could be gone.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Yeah, Tavon Austin seems to have made a very good impression with most of us.  I still think that Hopkins makes the most sense if they go WR in the first round, but I find myself wanting BB to draft Austin more and more all the time.  I guess I would be happy either way.  also, I agree that seeing BB double up on WRs this year is entirely possible.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Looks like some of the popular prospects on this thread have done pretty well on the Combine interview circuit:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Scout-Talk-5916.html

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

Patterson, Hopkins, Allen, and Austin are the only receivers i would consider at 29.

I'd agree.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I heard Lloyd's cap hit was 4.9m if cut...

his cap hit is $4.5mil but his signing bonus was $7.5mil over 3 years so depending when cut it could cost the team 500k for this year and save 5 mil next year or save them 2mil this year and 3mil next year 

$2MM in dead cap space spread out over 2 years according to Bedard.  Still cutting Lloyd really puts us in a bind with ZERO wideouts.  I expect Welker to be extended as I think this was a key reason Brady agreed to restructure.  I also expect Edelman to be back and for us to sign another top flight WR, such as Boldin, Nelson or Jennings.  We might even make a play for Wallace to keep the Dolphins from getting him athough I doubt we would enter a bidding war.

I would not be shocked if this is the year we finally draft a WR in the first round and perhaps again in the 3rd depending what we do with Lloyd and in free agency.  BB has been doubling down on need lately; Gronk/Hernandez and Vereen/Ridley.  WR is a position of a lot of age so a youth movement makes sense also.  With just three premium picks it would be hard to take two WRs especially with so many questions at corner but if Denard avoids jail time and we resign Talib, we could be set there.

hopkins, rogers? (1st and 3rd)

Possibly.  I can't stop thinking about how good Tavon Austin would look in a Pat's uni.  Then come back with a Swope or Williams in the 2nd.  In reality both could be gone.

No doubt that Austin is electric.

Swope looks tailor made for NE's scheme... sneaky deep speed, has some suddenness/RAC ability, very good combo of hands and toughness and has good ball skills... willing/solid blocker...  really like this kid on Day 2.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Same here MB. Would really like Swope in the 3rd or even better 4th if we can acquire a 4th.

I don't think the pats double up on wr's unless its in FA and the draft. We simply don't have the number of picks desired, plus, cb and DT look too good to pass up on. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Low...Davis is PatsEng's kid. He called him at 60 on another thread he started. He is definitely one to keep an eye on. This is for sure a target rich environment for cb. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

So I am watching a bunch of highlights of Quinton Patton and thinking hey this kids really pretty good, great blocker. Really competitve fire, a leader, etc.

Then I start watching the Utah State game and the guy that jumps out is who the heck is covering him because unlike all the other things I had watched of Patton this guy is all over him.

I'm a big Patton guy, not a burner, but I like his overall skills set and he has the size/competitiveness to survive on the outside.

I didn't see the Utah State tape, but he did drop 11-181 on them this year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

I'm a big Patton guy, not a burner, but I like his overall skills set and he has the size/competitiveness to survive on the outside.

I didn't see the Utah State tape, but he did drop 11-181 on them this year.

Well obviously the game clips are cut to show only Pattons plays but really it seems like he's "the guy" and gets it tossed to him a lot. 

You know his QB shows up on tape well also because they throw a ton of deep and over the top throws to Patton and in some tight spots too. They are mostly all pretty catchable as well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

Patterson, Hopkins, Allen, and Austin are the only receivers i would consider at 29.

id prefer the bigger guys over auistin

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Same here MB. Would really like Swope in the 3rd or even better 4th if we can acquire a 4th.

I don't think the pats double up on wr's unless its in FA and the draft. We simply don't have the number of picks desired, plus, cb and DT look too good to pass up on. 

"I don't think the pats double up on wr's unless its in FA and the draft. We simply don't have the number of picks " 

agree unless we add picks

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Anyone know anything about Nick Williams? Samford DT had a very nice combine for a kid 6'5 305.

Same with Ty Powell. Nice combine as an "athlete".

Can't find any clips of them on youtube.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I did not know about Davis until PE mentioned him during our recent discussion on combine numbers. I took a look at his youtbe, and I have to say his cover skills are very good. I would be happy if NWe picked him. If I have to nitpick, I thought he made some lame tackles. Perhaps he can be coached on that.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

newest ne pats draft has carradine to pats at 29.

most recent of the pass rsuhers rising (hopefully not past 29).

holy crap

they give us carradine in rd 1 and syl williams in rd 2. 

now i have much hiher needs at other positons, but that woudl be a coup.

along with maybe a rogers or a dobson in rd 3.

anyone got swopes hand size  vs rogers  and dobson?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

just reading the gm thread where quag posted only thing we know is whover we covet bb woont pick them. took stock the past 3 years.

for a fun share what guys did you all have on yor pats list that made it here teh last 3 years?

its a short list for me but got better last year when bb thought upwards rather than down (not being a draftnik, my time put into learning players beyond what i see in games is small [this year very very smal]), so i draft from who i know (a much smaller field than many of you) and who i covet (over who bb may pick).

last year i had hightower, had jones as 1 of 3 pass rushers i coveted and ebert as a udfa potential pickup.

2011 i had dowling (provided his health checked out-we took him anyway)

2010 i had spikes,

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

just reading the gm thread where quag posted only thing we know is whover we covet bb woont pick them. took stock the past 3 years.

for a fun share what guys did you all have on yor pats list that made it here teh last 3 years?

its a short list for me but got better last year when bb thought upwards rather than down (not being a draftnik, my time put into learning players beyond what i see in games is small [this year very very smal]), so i draft from who i know (a much smaller field than many of you) and who i covet (over who bb may pick).

last year i had hightower, had jones as 1 of 3 pass rushers i coveted and ebert as a udfa potential pickup.

2010 i had spikes,

Hightower was a fairly big name around here.

I think I called Dennard but a couple rounds earlier (I tend to pick high talent falling stars in mid rounds because BB likes to take chances with them).

Most of us had either Gronk or Hern but not both

I think I remember MB mentioning Ridley or maybe it was Low

I had McCourty and Bequette was mentioned a number of times.

I know a number of people had Solder.

It's actually surprising how many names this thread gets right in the end. Then again with 20+ people participating at any given point and each having 5 people they like at each pick the law of averages does have to kick in

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I love the combine reads. I'm thinking Hunt might have shot up the board a bit for me. Maybe we see a double drafting on the line. Hunt in the 1st and J Williams with a trade early/mid 2nd. How about that for fixing the front 7. Then it comes to the secndary. Get a SS in FA, get a starting caliber CB in FA, hope Dennard does get long time and draft a slot CB in the 3rd

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

2010 i had spikes,

Hightower was a fairly big name around here.

I think I called Dennard but a couple rounds earlier (I tend to pick high talent falling stars in mid rounds because BB likes to take chances with them).

Most of us had either Gronk or Hern but not both

I think I remember MB mentioning Ridley or maybe it was Low

I had McCourty and Bequette was mentioned a number of times.

I know a number of people had Solder.

It's actually surprising how many names this thread gets right in the end. Then again with 20+ people participating at any given point and each having 5 people they like at each pick the law of averages does have to kick in

re:

"Then again with 20+ people participating at any given point and each having 5 people they like at each pick the law of averages does have to kick in"

good point:)

still lot of mocks have less pats picks

re:

"Hightower was a fairly big name around here."

i think i was the first to go public on hightower stock last year.

Sections
Shortcuts