***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Do I have to sacrifice a virgin too?

Lmao! I know it's a pain and I hope they fix it soon.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

by the way, see the rankings today?

ohio state, kansas state, nd are all better than lsu? try playing them.

in fact wv mgiht have a problem.

i think they underrank how good florida is/was.

on the other hand, south car. and florida play one another and regardles who wins are probably still both one of teh best 4 teams in teh country.

You can't have a (1) loss team ahead of (3) undefeated teams.

LSU has the same issues as ND... a BCS Championship level defense with an unproven/inconsistent offense.  ND in particular is 2nd in the nation in scoring defense (behind only Alabama) and hasn't given up a TD in any of the last (3) games vs. Michigan St/Michigan/Miami, the first two were ranked at the time and Miami just came off of a ACC record passing performance vs. NC St the week before... granted there was some luck involved in the Miami game as one of their WR's dropp two potential TD catches in their first drive... but did little after.

"You can't have a (1) loss team ahead of (3) undefeated teams"

absoluitley disagree with this. you are ranking the best team. # of losses is not the point.

i see nd has improved

like to see them play lsu first or s carolina, florida, etc before putting them ahead of lsu.

peace bro

And ND is one of the best teams, as have been KSU and WVU.  All three have flaws as does LSU, but you can't just keep them ahead of teams based solely on SEC bias... they lost to a good football and should drop as a result. 

what you are claling sec bias (yes i am a sec and florida teams fan) i call seeing who would be better (no different than an nfl power rnaking) if they played against each other. i do it in the nfl without bias as well. and if i was an oregon fan i would sayt the same thing. 

nothing wrong if we differ. can we agree on that?

There is a national SEC bias in general, I'm guilty in a sense as I say it all the time... best conference in America, I just dont believe rankings should be skewed towards SEC teams based on reputation... if you lose, you drop.  I also haven't seen anything from LSU this year that would tell me that they'd definitely beat ND/WVU or KSU... with that being said, we'll certainly learn more about his team over the next month as they'll play (4) teams currently ranked (South Carolina, Tex A&M, Bama & MSU) including (2) in the current top 4.

hey mb,

how goes it today?

my opinon,

re if you lose you drop, i am not in accordance with this even if it happens. you mention we will learn about lsu from coming games. what will we learn about whether lsu can beat nd or kansas state?

im not saying they def beat nd or ws. im saying id like to see them do so or any of teh top 4 sec teams before being ranked 7th and 6th. when florida and  sout carolina play, do you think the loser should drop below ks and nd? though it liley will happen (if ks an nd win), it's bs. who is the better team (period) not who has more wins. that is why ratings are crap. it favors dramatically teams who play a weaker schedule

The bottom line is, that LSU hasn't done anything to tell me, you or any of the voters that they deserve to remain ranked higher than ND, WVU or KSU at this point (any of these 3 lose this weekend and they too will drop, as they should)... they're biggest win is against a mediocre Washington team that just got steamed-rolled by Oregon and barely got by a bad Auburn team, the rest of their schedule has been weak to this point... with wins over North Texas, Towson and Idaho.  They win out and they'll certainly move back up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:

South Carolina vs LSU, ND vs Stanford, Texas vs Oklahoma and all on at diffrent times!

Who are all you guys picking?

SC

ND

TX

Nice to see them splitting up the good matchups a bit!

mb, curious why you want sc to win, and texas for that matter as well 

:)

Ha, not saying I want SC to win (personally I could are less), I just think they're a better football team than LSU... same goes for Texas over Oklahoma.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

South Carolina vs LSU, ND vs Stanford, Texas vs Oklahoma and all on at diffrent times!

SC

ND

TX

Agree, I'd like to see more saturday morning games next year as well. I'm picking SC, ND and OK

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

oaklahoma/texas is negligible- but i dont like texas , i like stanford, and s. carolina ( re lsu / carolina, really hoping that the team that wins will be the one that will be teh best at teh end of the year).

I like SC but I'm not the biggest fan of LSU but if they win they definately deserve to move back up to around where they were

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

It stinks but it can be tricked into working.

Delete the junk, then sandwich the QUOTEs around the post you're replying to, put your cursor in front of the second /QUOTE, hit shift+enter, type your reply.

Lol! I still can't figure it out even after reading the instructions

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Delete the junk, then sandwich the QUOTEs around the post you're replying to, put your cursor in front of the second /QUOTE, hit shift+enter, type your reply.

I have a computer engineering degree and I still can't get it to work. Seriously I have written better more complex software at 3am after a night of get hammered with drunk people passed out all around me and a random girl who kept asking to get red robin every saying she'd take her shirt off if I could make her waffles before passing out for 5mins watching up and repeating for 3 hours

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I have a computer engineering degree and I still can't get it to work. Seriously I have written better more complex software at 3am after a night of get hammered with drunk people passed out all around me and a random girl who kept asking to get red robin every saying she'd take her shirt off if I could make her waffles before passing out for 5mins watching up and repeating for 3 hours

If we ever break off and create our own draft site, PE will develop the interface! haha.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

by the way, see the rankings today?

ohio state, kansas state, nd are all better than lsu? try playing them.

in fact wv mgiht have a problem.

i think they underrank how good florida is/was.

on the other hand, south car. and florida play one another and regardles who wins are probably still both one of teh best 4 teams in teh country.

You can't have a (1) loss team ahead of (3) undefeated teams.

LSU has the same issues as ND... a BCS Championship level defense with an unproven/inconsistent offense.  ND in particular is 2nd in the nation in scoring defense (behind only Alabama) and hasn't given up a TD in any of the last (3) games vs. Michigan St/Michigan/Miami, the first two were ranked at the time and Miami just came off of a ACC record passing performance vs. NC St the week before... granted there was some luck involved in the Miami game as one of their WR's dropp two potential TD catches in their first drive... but did little after.

"You can't have a (1) loss team ahead of (3) undefeated teams"

absoluitley disagree with this. you are ranking the best team. # of losses is not the point.

i see nd has improved

like to see them play lsu first or s carolina, florida, etc before putting them ahead of lsu.

peace bro

And ND is one of the best teams, as have been KSU and WVU.  All three have flaws as does LSU, but you can't just keep them ahead of teams based solely on SEC bias... they lost to a good football and should drop as a result. 

what you are claling sec bias (yes i am a sec and florida teams fan) i call seeing who would be better (no different than an nfl power rnaking) if they played against each other. i do it in the nfl without bias as well. and if i was an oregon fan i would sayt the same thing. 

nothing wrong if we differ. can we agree on that?

There is a national SEC bias in general, I'm guilty in a sense as I say it all the time... best conference in America, I just dont believe rankings should be skewed towards SEC teams based on reputation... if you lose, you drop.  I also haven't seen anything from LSU this year that would tell me that they'd definitely beat ND/WVU or KSU... with that being said, we'll certainly learn more about his team over the next month as they'll play (4) teams currently ranked (South Carolina, Tex A&M, Bama & MSU) including (2) in the current top 4.

hey mb,

how goes it today?

my opinon,

re if you lose you drop, i am not in accordance with this even if it happens. you mention we will learn about lsu from coming games. what will we learn about whether lsu can beat nd or kansas state?

im not saying they def beat nd or ws. im saying id like to see them do so or any of teh top 4 sec teams before being ranked 7th and 6th. when florida and  sout carolina play, do you think the loser should drop below ks and nd? though it liley will happen (if ks an nd win), it's bs. who is the better team (period) not who has more wins. that is why ratings are crap. it favors dramatically teams who play a weaker schedule

The bottom line is, that LSU hasn't done anything to tell me, you or any of the voters that they deserve to remain ranked higher than ND, WVU or KSU at this point (any of these 3 lose this weekend and they too will drop, as they should)... they're biggest win is against a mediocre Washington team that just got steamed-rolled by Oregon and barely got by a bad Auburn team, the rest of their schedule has been weak to this point... with wins over North Texas, Towson and Idaho.  They win out and they'll certainly move back up.

agree with this. id still like to see nd play lsu, florida, s. car. or alabama, or even georgia; becuase of teams choosing their own schedule and stupid bowl tradition, we never have a chance to see that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

ohmyg-d on both the engineering fail you are describing bdc as and the drunk people around you (take my shirt off if you make waffles, whaaaa)...................................................................................................

how did you end up with drunk folks laid out all around you?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

SC

ND

TX

mb, curious why you want sc to win, and texas for that matter as well 

Ha, not saying I want SC to win (personally I could are less), I just think they're a better football team than LSU... same goes for Texas over Oklahoma.

oh, who you see winning. i always discuss who i want to win. i watch football with my heart.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Watchlist Updated 10/14!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Lol! Good times! Good times!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Anyone have thoughts on LSU's DL? I think they play well together and compliment each other but no one really stands out to me. They did a good job holding Lattimore to only 35 yards last night.

Lonergan continues to impress me. I can't wait to see him matchup against Jessie Williams in 2 weeks

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Whew!! I thought this thread got deleted. I finally found it on page 4.

I've been checking out some mock drafts and some have Mingo and Montgomery going top 10. They're both good but top 10? I don't see it. Obviously its early and all but I would have no problem if 2 teams took them in the top 10 as long as the Pats aren't one of them haha

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I've been checking out some mock drafts and some have Mingo and Montgomery going top 10. They're both good but top 10? I don't see it. Obviously its early and all but I would have no problem if 2 teams took them in the top 10 as long as the Pats aren't one of them haha

Ha, should prob find a permanent home on page 1 as the season progresses... but it likely gave way to the dozens of redundant whine threads about a Patriots loss.

That's the premium teams pay for edge rush ability, both are good sized athletic kids that can really get after the QB... I"ve seen Mingo in particular rated as the top player on a couple boards.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Ha, should prob find a permanent home on page 1 as the season progresses... but it likely gave way to the dozens of redundant whine threads about a Patriots loss.

That's the premium teams pay for edge rush ability, both are good sized athletic kids that can really get after the QB... I"ve seen Mingo in particular rated as the top player on a couple boards.

Haha I didn't want to say anything but thats what I figured happened. After a Pats loss and good threads go entirely missing

Right now I like Werner and Clowney more then Mingo and Montgomery. Whether Clowney declares or not, not sure. I think Jordan even has more potential then M and M. He's so quick off the snap, he's practically in the backfield before the ball reaches the qb.

I dvr'ed the lsu/SC game and was gonna watch it again at some point and focus more on them but I think they benefit alot from each other and all the good players they have on D. Which btw, I think Reid looks good

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Haha I didn't want to say anything but thats what I figured happened. After a Pats loss and good threads go entirely missing

Right now I like Werner and Clowney more then Mingo and Montgomery. Whether Clowney declares or not, not sure. I think Jordan even has more potential then M and M. He's so quick off the snap, he's practically in the backfield before the ball reaches the qb.

I dvr'ed the lsu/SC game and was gonna watch it again at some point and focus more on them but I think they benefit alot from each other and all the good players they have on D. Which btw, I think Reid looks good

I'm with you on Werner/Jordan, Werner is prob my favorite player in this class (assuming he declares) to this point and would be an ideal bookend to Jones... Clowney is a flat out stud too, but I believe he's only a true Soph, so won't be draft eligible until next season.

I watched some Reid tape last week and def see some positives and negatives... overall, he looks like a very, very good football player and SHOULD come off the board in Rd 1 if he declares.

On the positive side, he's a big kid, physical, versatile and can play all over the field (should excel in covrage vs. TE's) moves about as easy as any S that I've seen, is instinctive, experienced and should be a Day 1 starter for the team that takes him.

On the negative side, he can take some bad angles, will miss tackles due to playing a bit too fast vs. breaking down, seems to play flat footed a lot when playing centerfield/covering the deep half... almost has a shuffle type movement to his feet vs. a clean backpedal... not sure if this is their preferred techique etc, want to check out more film to see if it's consistent... but I do get the feeling that he can sometimes rely too much on his natural ability.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Top 10 might be high for them right now, we'll have a better clue where they will end up after thanksgiving but I could easily see them both going top 20 which hopefully will put them out of our range.

The only thing I'm begging for right now is for BB not to take a DB in the first two rounds. This might sound weird but it's a two fold issue I have:

First - I don't think we have the proper coaching staff. When the coaching staff can't teach something as simply as to turn around for the ball and not rely on face gaurding then there is an issue. When every player regresses from year 1 to years 2,3,4 then we have an issue (see McCourty, Ras starter for 2 games last year then dropped off face of earth, Moore significant drop off, Butler)

Second - He just seems to be extremely bad at picking DB's in the first 2 rounds. McCourty needs work but has starting ability and Chung has suddenly turned into a mediocre S at best. Ras I have no clue where he went and Wilson looked lost when asked to play every down. This is getting sad

Third - BB has rarely failed when getting front 7 players in the first 2 rounds. Cunningham is a JAGish pass rushing specialist and Brace is no where to be seen but almost all his front 7 picks have turned out great, even Hill was showing high improve before the tragedy

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Top 10 might be high for them right now, we'll have a better clue where they will end up after thanksgiving but I could easily see them both going top 20 which hopefully will put them out of our range.

The only thing I'm begging for right now is for BB not to take a DB in the first two rounds. This might sound weird but it's a two fold issue I have:

First - I don't think we have the proper coaching staff. When the coaching staff can't teach something as simply as to turn around for the ball and not rely on face gaurding then there is an issue. When every player regresses from year 1 to years 2,3,4 then we have an issue (see McCourty, Ras starter for 2 games last year then dropped off face of earth, Moore significant drop off, Butler)

Second - He just seems to be extremely bad at picking DB's in the first 2 rounds. McCourty needs work but has starting ability and Chung has suddenly turned into a mediocre S at best. Ras I have no clue where he went and Wilson looked lost when asked to play every down. This is getting sad

Third - BB has rarely failed when getting front 7 players in the first 2 rounds. Cunningham is a JAGish pass rushing specialist and Brace is no where to be seen but almost all his front 7 picks have turned out great, even Hill was showing high improve before the tragedy

Would be tough for me to disagree, they simply seem to have a flawed process when it comes to identifying, drafting and developing DB talent.

What I can say is a kid like Milliner has demonstrated the ability to turn his head, play the football in college, so one would think that he'd stop doing it in the pro's, but...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Would be tough for me to disagree, they simply seem to have a flawed process when it comes to identifying, drafting and developing DB talent.

What I can say is a kid like Milliner has demonstrated the ability to turn his head, play the football in college, so one would think that he'd stop doing it in the pro's, but...

and here comes the but... McCourty also turned his head in college and turned his head his rook year. Something happened between his rook year and today that made him stop turning his head and it's happened to a lot of our DB's

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

I'm with you on Werner/Jordan, Werner is prob my favorite player in this class (assuming he declares) to this point and would be an ideal bookend to Jones... Clowney is a flat out stud too, but I believe he's only a true Soph, so won't be draft eligible until next season.

I watched some Reid tape last week and def see some positives and negatives... overall, he looks like a very, very good football player and SHOULD come off the board in Rd 1 if he declares.

On the positive side, he's a big kid, physical, versatile and can play all over the field (should excel in covrage vs. TE's) moves about as easy as any S that I've seen, is instinctive, experienced and should be a Day 1 starter for the team that takes him.

On the negative side, he can take some bad angles, will miss tackles due to playing a bit too fast vs. breaking down, seems to play flat footed a lot when playing centerfield/covering the deep half... almost has a shuffle type movement to his feet vs. a clean backpedal... not sure if this is their preferred techique etc, want to check out more film to see if it's consistent... but I do get the feeling that he can sometimes rely too much on his natural ability.

I didn't think of that about Clowney's eligibility. Its crazy how good he's going to be!

Good info on Reid! Question, who would you take between him and Elam on Florida? Also who do you like the most so far at safety in this class?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

and here comes the but... McCourty also turned his head in college and turned his head his rook year. Something happened between his rook year and today that made him stop turning his head and it's happened to a lot of our DB's

I don't get it. Even Butler had a promising rookie year and then fell apart in year 2. I think we had Dom Capers in 2008, who I thought did a ok-decent job. I think Corwin Brown followed and didn't do well at all and now Boyer picked up where Brown left off. I'm beginning to think the coaching staff is telling them not to turn their head. I thought Dowling was our best corner to start the season and now he's gone completely missing.

I'd love a guy like Milliner here but I'm afraid the same will happen with him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

@HC,

It's a good question... I'll start by saying, for all the talk last year about Barron and how he was overrated due to the lack of overall depth in the 2012 S draft class, I'd still take him over any safety in this class as well.

I look forward to watching more 2012 tape on Reid, as the more I watch of his 2011 tape, the more he looks like more of an athlete with hitting ability than a pure football player... the natural talent and movement ability is undeniable, but I'm seeing too many missed tackles and bad angles. 

When I watch Elam on tape, I'd compare him (from a size/speed/physicality/aggression standpoint) favorably to Patrick Chung, though I think he's a much better cover guy.  He's used a lot as a nickel/slot cover guy (an area where Chung struggles), moves well in the short area... has solid awareness and will make a play on the football.  He's also a very good run defender, very physical... and while he can miss some tackles, he's often breaks down and is in good position to make a play.  His value to the Gators is clear as he's moved around quite a bit, blitzes often off the edge (not that NE would do any of that), plays with good technique and looks assignment sound and always seems to be around the football... he looks to be more of a finished product than Reid.

Given my choice on 10/15/12, I'd take Elam over Reid.

I do look forward to watching more S tape on this class though, which includes McDonald, Lester, Jefferson and Vaccaro, etc.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

@HC,

It's a good question... I'll start by saying, for all the talk last year about Barron and how he was overrated due to the lack of overall depth in the 2012 S draft class, I'd still take him over any safety in this class as well.

I look forward to watching more 2012 tape on Reid, as the more I watch of his 2011 tape, the more he looks like more of an athlete with hitting ability than a pure football player... the natural talent and movement ability is undeniable, but I'm seeing too many missed tackles and bad angles. 

When I watch Elam on tape, I'd compare him (from a size/speed/physicality/aggression standpoint) favorably to Patrick Chung, though I think he's a much better cover guy.  He's used a lot as a nickel/slot cover guy (an area where Chung struggles), moves well in the short area... has solid awareness and will make a play on the football.  He's also a very good run defender, very physical... and while he can miss some tackles, he's often breaks down and is in good position to make a play.  His value to the Gators is clear as he's moved around quite a bit, blitzes often off the edge (not that NE would do any of that), plays with good technique and looks assignment sound and always seems to be around the football... he looks to be more of a finished product than Reid.

Given my choice on 10/15/12, I'd take Elam over Reid.

I do look forward to watching more S tape on this class though, which includes McDonald, Lester, Jefferson and Vaccaro, etc.

Good stuff! Thanks for the input! I like Elam alot and he looks fast and can deliver a good hit. I'm hoping to see more of him against South Carolina this weekend.

I agree with you about Barron and I'd even throw Harrison Smith in there as well. This years class seems to have a lot of solid safety's but I don't think I could pick one that is better than Barron and Smith just yet. Still lots of football to play though.

Sections
Shortcuts