***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

thank you jjd, I was just about to post that

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Thanks boys... yeah I get the pahty stahted, but the thread is sh!t without everyone's contributions!

Pretty proud of the overall content that we're able to generate collectively and the fact that we're ahead of the curve quite often!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to moskk's comment:

In response to bredbru's comment:

im really hoping we get a #1 adn #2 cb in fa (talib/smith) plus a #2 

the players im liking the most right now in round 1 for impact in 1 of the 3 positions we most need help (pass rusher, outisde wr legit threat and cb) are:

#1 carradine

#2 hopkins.

1 more, if we did get a #1 and #2 cb in fa, id trade whatever necessary for those 2 players and be happy going home with nothing more from the draft.

Mike Dussault, an editorialist for the Globe, wrote a very impressive piece on the Patriot's vulnerability on first downs and seemed to suggest that signing a 3rd down rushing penetrator might not be our greatest need. If you haven't yet read his editorial it's worth the read. It seemed to suggest that we need 3-down players at DT, MLB and S since it's now a predominantly PASSING LEAGUE. We're particularly vulnerable over the middle (no surprise) but his statistics are telling.

thanks moskk. no i havent, but i agree with that completley.

is this the globe that you have to have a paid subscription online to read? (im in ca.)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

WR position taken care of in FA with cook and Nelson...use draft to grab Dt, Cb anlb safety/lb...

Not a bad idea but I think that makes the team a bit to one dimensional as far as receivers go. I'm assuming you move Hern into Welkers spot. Cook would back up Hern directly, Nelson moves into the #2/3 WR spot and you keep Lloyd. If my assumption is true then you have some miss match problems created but you as once again limiting most of the receptions to the middle of the field which teams could clog. I'd say go with either Cook or Nelson (not both) and then try to find a deeper threat receiver. I'm not saying a burner but an outside the numbers deeper threat to diversify the O. Whether that comes via draft or FA doesn't matter but someone to get balls in the 15+yrd rang away from the box. I'd be interested to see what the NYG tender Cruz at 

exaclty wht ive been saying for over a year. though my conclusion is you get that player in the draft, thogh a bolden like player in fa would be nice as well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

TJ Mo's detailed article about the combine.   (Link below)

What I like about this is that they it gives you insight into how the NFL looks these guys. No wonder guys were falling asleep.

.....Day 2 started EARLY. Drug testing was scheduled to begin at 4:30 a.m. However, I decided to wake up at 3:50. I was one of the first players in line. Testing started at 4:12 and I was back in my bed sleeping at 4:26 — outsmarting the system one test at a time. I woke up again at 7 for breakfast. This was the second day of medical testing. There were nine stations that each player was required to go through. The first station was the regular physical exam that anyone would get. They checked for hernias, checked my eyes, ears and throat. After the initial physical, there was a station that checked my vision and another station called FMS (Functional Movement Screening). The FMS checks for symmetry on both sides of your body and a little bit of balance and flexibility. After those stations the real tugging, twisting and pulling began. There are 32 NFL teams. The teams break into six stations of five or six teams per station. Each team groups with the other teams that have similar philosophies or teams that they know they can trust. When I walked into each station I had all of my X-rays, CAT scans and medical history with me. A doctor took it from me and began his examination. They twisted and turned each limb every direction it could go. After finishing his examination, the doctor presented me to the rest of the room. They sat me in the middle of the room on a table, gathered around and spouted off all of my medical history. The funny thing is that no doctor trusts the others. Each and every doctor wanted to touch my surgically repaired foot to make sure it was stable. I checked out with every doctor and passed every physical with every team. After medical exams were finished, I was asked to do some interviews. Those didn't take nearly as long. Thirty minutes and I was finished. I had time to squeeze in another nap after media interviews before dinner and team interviews.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/sports/mu_football/twists-turns-of-the-combine/article_1c4354d8-85c8-11e2-8699-10604b9f6eda.html

Really interesting. Reminds me a lot of my thesis review. 10 hrs of non stop presentations and having every last piece of work I did critqued, questioned, and broken down by a board who would sometimes ask repeat question at random times just to see if I'd change my response. It really is exhausting when you finish both mentally and physically

WOW!  10 hours defending a doctoral thesis...impressive! Repeat questions can sometimes disclose "borrowed" materials instead of original work....Congrats!

it was insane, a board of 5 professors and 1 industry worker and I had 2 professors and 2 personal defenders. It felt like I was on trial for murder. They went through everything, all my notes, my lab books, my publications. They tore down everything I worked on for 7 years even questioning my Laplace transitions. That was the longest day of my acedemic career and the entire time I was thinking they weren't going to accept me because of how deep in detail they got with my work. I was waiting for the shoe to drop and that I made a tiny calc error in the first week of my thesis work that nullified my entire thesis. The hardest part is when they would all go silent after an answer turn to each other whisper stuff back and forth then just stare at you. 2mins of awkward silence then a nod to proceed

yup, utter bs.

good on you though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

posted at 3/5/2013 2:20 PM EST

• mbeaulieu07
    • First: 7/20/2006
    • Last: 3/6/2013

Alfred, this is the guy that starts the thread,  got to give credit where credit is due.

laughed my @ss off reading that alfred..... this is the man (above) to who the credit goes.

:)

i'm just another person lke you who has a thought here and there.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

holy cow... i was browsing through cbs sports and found some pretty remarkable changes on their mocks from a few weeks ago.

Brugler has...

Jordan at #2

Floyd at #3

Milliner at #5 

Ansah at #9 (to Jets)

Trufant #29 (to Pats) -- I still think someone next to vw would be less risk here, pick up CB in 2nd

Banks fell to 31

Rang has...

Barkley to the Jets -- I think people on these boards will be happy about that

Woods to Pats -- I may have lost respect for Rang

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

holy cow... i was browsing through cbs sports and found some pretty remarkable changes on their mocks from a few weeks ago.

Brugler has...

Jordan at #2

Floyd at #3

Milliner at #5 

Ansah at #9 (to Jets)

Trufant #29 (to Pats) -- I still think someone next to vw would be less risk here, pick up CB in 2nd

Banks fell to 31

Rang has...

floyd was a rd 2 pick by everyone a few months ago (and now many top mocks have him #1). amazed at all the guys a few of us have picked a while back and how far theyve risen. mb- jordan; nate -hunt; myself -guys expected to be there at the end of rd 1: floyd, syl williams, ansah, rhodes, hopkins (who some now have a 20 pick) and round 3 projected warford.

rang? what about walter football who have the pats taking amerson in rd 2. so what he can play 2 postions, neither one well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

the players im liking the most right now in round 1 for impact in 1 of the 3 positions we most need help (pass rusher, outisde wr legit threat and cb) are:

#1 carradine

#2 hopkins.

1 more, if we did get a #1 and #2 cb in fa, id trade whatever necessary for those 2 players and be happy going home with nothing more from the draft.

Mike Dussault, an editorialist for the Globe, wrote a very impressive piece on the Patriot's vulnerability on first downs and seemed to suggest that signing a 3rd down rushing penetrator might not be our greatest need. If you haven't yet read his editorial it's worth the read. It seemed to suggest that we need 3-down players at DT, MLB and S since it's now a predominantly PASSING LEAGUE. We're particularly vulnerable over the middle (no surprise) but his statistics are telling.

is this the globe that you have to have a paid subscription online to read? (im in ca.)

No subscription required but, of course, they would love one.  You can get LIMITED viewing everytime you connect to them but you can get uninterrupted viewing by registering with them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

#1 carradine

#2 hopkins.

No subscription required but, of course, they would love one.  You can get LIMITED viewing everytime you connect to them but you can get uninterrupted viewing by registering with them.

thanks, what is a "limited viewing"? first paragraph of an article aka espn insider?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

#1 carradine

#2 hopkins.

thanks, what is a "limited viewing"? first paragraph of an article aka espn insider?

Limited viewing is perhaps a timed viewing of about 5 minutes.  I never timed it and seemed to be able to read several articles before time expired. On early occasions (before I became registered...no fee) I just logged on again to finish reading a particular entry. While I mentioned that his statistics were telling I should have also applauded his analysis of those statistics.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Brugler has...

Jordan at #2

Floyd at #3

Milliner at #5 

Ansah at #9 (to Jets)

Banks fell to 31

Rang has...

floyd was a rd 2 pick by everyone a few months ago (and now many top mocks have him #1). amazed at all the guys a few of us have picked a while back and how far theyve risen. mb- jordan; nate -hunt; myself -guys expected to be there at the end of rd 1: floyd, syl williams, ansah, rhodes, hopkins (who some now have a 20 pick) and round 3 projected warford.

rang? what about walter football who have the pats taking amerson in rd 2. so what he can play 2 postions, neither one well.

Yeah, I may be missing the boat on Sharrif, but when I watch this kid, he doesn't pop to me... I don't think to myself "wow, this kid could be a top 5-10 pick" like I have with others (i.e. Jordan, Milliner, Werner, etc.)... not saying he's a bad player (Top 40 talent with Rd 1 upside), but just not a top tier talent.  I could be wrong.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

TJ Mo's detailed article about the combine.   (Link below)

What I like about this is that they it gives you insight into how the NFL looks these guys. No wonder guys were falling asleep.

.....Day 2 started EARLY. Drug testing was scheduled to begin at 4:30 a.m. However, I decided to wake up at 3:50. I was one of the first players in line. Testing started at 4:12 and I was back in my bed sleeping at 4:26 — outsmarting the system one test at a time. I woke up again at 7 for breakfast. This was the second day of medical testing. There were nine stations that each player was required to go through. The first station was the regular physical exam that anyone would get. They checked for hernias, checked my eyes, ears and throat. After the initial physical, there was a station that checked my vision and another station called FMS (Functional Movement Screening). The FMS checks for symmetry on both sides of your body and a little bit of balance and flexibility. After those stations the real tugging, twisting and pulling began. There are 32 NFL teams. The teams break into six stations of five or six teams per station. Each team groups with the other teams that have similar philosophies or teams that they know they can trust. When I walked into each station I had all of my X-rays, CAT scans and medical history with me. A doctor took it from me and began his examination. They twisted and turned each limb every direction it could go. After finishing his examination, the doctor presented me to the rest of the room. They sat me in the middle of the room on a table, gathered around and spouted off all of my medical history. The funny thing is that no doctor trusts the others. Each and every doctor wanted to touch my surgically repaired foot to make sure it was stable. I checked out with every doctor and passed every physical with every team. After medical exams were finished, I was asked to do some interviews. Those didn't take nearly as long. Thirty minutes and I was finished. I had time to squeeze in another nap after media interviews before dinner and team interviews.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/sports/mu_football/twists-turns-of-the-combine/article_1c4354d8-85c8-11e2-8699-10604b9f6eda.html

Thanks for posting JJ... keep any eye on this kid... BIG TIME possibility of landing in NE on Day 3, IMO... very good match for what they value in their WR's (smart, good short area quicks/COD).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Do you think Pats will trade back?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

Certainly possible.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Completely depends on their draft board compared to what is left at the time they are drafting as well as who the hypothetical trade partner is and what they are offering.

Predicting now is like spitting into the wind.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Completely depends on their draft board compared to what is left at the time they are drafting as well as who the hypothetical trade partner is and what they are offering.

Predicting now is like spitting into the wind.

Yeah, it's almost impossible to know what will happen in the draft specially with the Pats

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Brugler has...

Jordan at #2

Floyd at #3

Milliner at #5 

Ansah at #9 (to Jets)

Banks fell to 31

Rang has...

Yeah, I may be missing the boat on Sharrif, but when I watch this kid, he doesn't pop to me... I don't think to myself "wow, this kid could be a top 5-10 pick" like I have with others (i.e. Jordan, Milliner, Werner, etc.)... not saying he's a bad player (Top 40 talent with Rd 1 upside), but just not a top tier talent.  I could be wrong.

i was thinking of him when thinking of a penetrating dt (at end of rd 1)

if we had pcik #1, i dont think that id be interested.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Brugler has...

Jordan at #2

Floyd at #3

Milliner at #5 

Ansah at #9 (to Jets)

Banks fell to 31

Rang has...

i was thinking of him when thinking of a penetrating dt (at end of rd 1)

if we had pcik #1, i dont think that id be interested.

Agree.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I know I'm behind on this draft thread, but what does everyone think of DeAndre Hopkins? To me he looks like a guy that would fit in well on the outside..like what I see from him. He looks like he has good size, great hands and some real good quickness for his size - he's not going to blaze down the field, but I can see him getting deep once in a while. He kind of reminds me of a young David Givens, but much more polished than when he came out.

I could see this guy catching 60 balls in this offense and giving us a versatile target outside. I'm not saying he's special, but he looks pretty solid.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I know I'm behind on this draft thread, but what does everyone think of DeAndre Hopkins? To me he looks like a guy that would fit in well on the outside..like what I see from him. He looks like he has good size, great hands and some real good quickness for his size - he's not going to blaze down the field, but I can see him getting deep once in a while. He kind of reminds me of a young David Givens, but much more polished than when he came out.

I could see this guy catching 60 balls in this offense and giving us a versatile target outside. I'm not saying he's special, but he looks pretty solid.

Accurate assessment... kid's also tough and clutch... #1 WR on my board, very popular name on this thread overall.  If they go WR in Rd 1, he's the kid I hope they land.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Anybody else see BB taking an upside flier on Austin Collie?  The concussion/injury issues are well documented, but the kid is talented and he just strikes me as the risk/reward/value type (former teammate Anthony Gonzalez being another) that could interest them... doubt he'd command much on the open market.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

mthurl i know you see my other posts. hopkins has been my guy. just yesterday i posted i want hopkins and carradine and i dotn care if thats all we get (provicded we get a #1 and a #2 cb in fa)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

Brugler has...

Jordan at #2

Floyd at #3

Milliner at #5 

Ansah at #9 (to Jets)

Banks fell to 31

Rang has...

I find it remarkable how much it changes in just a few months.  Guys who were seen as top ten picks fall to the 2nd round, and players come from out of left field to replace them.  I remember watching Floyd in the bowl game and wondered why no one was talking about him, and now he's jumped into the top 5 in many mocks.  

I love going to this site to watch the risers and fallers.

http://www.drafttek.com/Top-100-NFL-Draft-Prospects-2013.asp

Check out the recent fallers-

Star Lotuelei -10

Keenen Allen -7

Damontre Moore -17

Kevin Minter -7

Jonathan Hankins -10

These players could be ripe for the pickin' at #29 (or maybe a short trade up).

Sections
Shortcuts