***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to Godvernment's comment:

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

zeke motta? bahahahaaaa yeah right. he makes steve gregory look like ed reed.

top late round safties:

Jahleel Addae Central Michigan (my #1 safety overall)

Cooper Taylor Richmond

Jermaine Robinson Toledo

Javon Harris Oklahoma

Kemal Ishmael UCF

The sentiment that Motta is a joke of a player is a joke in itself.  He's not the Rd 1 talent that Harrison Smith was, but as a Day 3 kid (who might get looks at the end of Rd 3), he'll bring elite size (6-2 213) for the position, a lot of much needed physicality, good tackling ability in the open field and should be a good ST player.  He's certainly not a burner, but plays faster than his 4.83 40 (I've seen prob every game this kid's played) and moves well overall.

Cooper Taylor is an intriguing kid, at 6-4 and almost 230.

I haven't seen Addae play, frankly have never heard of him, but will check him out.  What Rd grade do you have on him?  To confirm, you'd take him before any other S in this class (Vacarro, Cyprien, Elam, etc.)?

idk man motta certainly looked like a joke vs Alabama. i think addae deserves a late 2nd-3rd round grade, but that may change for better or worse after the results of his pro day day today.

Motta was one of the few ND defenders that showed up for the NC game. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

top late round safties:

Cooper Taylor Richmond

Jermaine Robinson Toledo

Javon Harris Oklahoma

Kemal Ishmael UCF

The sentiment that Motta is a joke of a player is a joke in itself.  He's not the Rd 1 talent that Harrison Smith was, but as a Day 3 kid (who might get looks at the end of Rd 3), he'll bring elite size (6-2 213) for the position, a lot of much needed physicality, good tackling ability in the open field and should be a good ST player.  He's certainly not a burner, but plays faster than his 4.83 40 (I've seen prob every game this kid's played) and moves well overall.

I haven't seen Addae play, frankly have never heard of him, but will check him out.  What Rd grade do you have on him?  To confirm, you'd take him before any other S in this class (Vacarro, Cyprien, Elam, etc.)?

idk man motta certainly looked like a joke vs Alabama. i think addae deserves a late 2nd-3rd round grade, but that may change for better or worse after the results of his pro day day today.

he's pretty good on kick off coverage. if he goes undrafted i could see NE taking a look at him.

He's def getting drafted, between Rd 3-5, IMO.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Hey MB, I'm not sure if someone already mentioned them or not but came across an interesting S rewatching some east-west footage.

Cooper Taylor - Richmond - 6'5" 230 4.6 40'

Very nice performance at the east west game with above average coverage ability and a very good tackler. A little raw but I like his potential. Could be a very good day 3 pick as a hybrid SS/OLB. Could be that coverage OLB/SS we've been looking for

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

top late round safties:

Cooper Taylor Richmond

Jermaine Robinson Toledo

Javon Harris Oklahoma

Kemal Ishmael UCF

he's pretty good on kick off coverage. if he goes undrafted i could see NE taking a look at him.

He's def getting drafted, between Rd 3-5, IMO.

Draft Tek has Motta in the 7th to NE. I have seen other sites talk about him. I think there are some qualities like leadership that teams look at for players in later rounds.  I'm not sure 3-5 rd, but he will get drafted. I don't think he will go UDFA.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Hey MB, I'm not sure if someone already mentioned them or not but came across an interesting S rewatching some east-west footage.

Very nice performance at the east west game with above average coverage ability and a very good tackler. A little raw but I like his potential. Could be a very good day 3 pick as a hybrid SS/OLB. Could be that coverage OLB/SS we've been looking for

he could be a steal if his injury history and heart condition is cleared.

A bit more on Taylor........

After leading Marist School to the Georgia state championship game, Taylor chose Georgia Tech over Mississippi State, Virginia and Duke, among others. It was a natural choice considering his father, Jim Bob Taylor, played for Georgia Tech and then for the Baltimore Colts in 1983.

Cooper Taylor was named second-team All-ACC by Rivals.com as a freshman and appeared on his way to becoming a star. However, after starting the first three games of the following season, he was diagnosed with Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome after being diagnosed with an extremely high heartbeat against Miami on Sept. 17 and sat out the remainder of the season.

Taylor underwent a corrective procedure to correct the condition that can cause the electrical charges between the heart's chamber to become out of sync, and was given a clean bill of health. He was given a medical redshirt.

He made five tackles in four games in 2010, but saw limited action after an "injury." Taylor played in the season opener against South Carolina state, but didn't come out of the locker room after halftime with what head coach Paul Johnson called heat-related symptoms. Taylor said the heat-related illness wasn't caused by his heart condition, but played sparingly the rest of the season.

Taylor chose to transfer to Richmond for his final two years of eligibility.

Taylor started all eight games he appeared in during the 2011 season, recording 63 tackles. He emerged as a first-team All-FCS player as a senior, starting 10 games and finishing with 78 tackles, 5.0 tackles for loss, four interceptions, 1.5 sacks, three forced fumbles and nine pass breakups.

He even saw time in the team's Wildcat package on offense before having that role curtailed by a broken hand.

A former FBS standout with excellent athleticism, Taylor started to create a little bit of buzz among the scouts and NFL representatives at the Shrine Game and is poised to be a rising prospect heading into the draft.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1619598

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Yeah, have him on the board, like him on Day 3.. intriguing assuming his medicals check out as Ricky mentioned.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

he could be a steal if his injury history and heart condition is cleared.

A bit more on Taylor........

After leading Marist School to the Georgia state championship game, Taylor chose Georgia Tech over Mississippi State, Virginia and Duke, among others. It was a natural choice considering his father, Jim Bob Taylor, played for Georgia Tech and then for the Baltimore Colts in 1983.

Cooper Taylor was named second-team All-ACC by Rivals.com as a freshman and appeared on his way to becoming a star. However, after starting the first three games of the following season, he was diagnosed with Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome after being diagnosed with an extremely high heartbeat against Miami on Sept. 17 and sat out the remainder of the season.

Taylor underwent a corrective procedure to correct the condition that can cause the electrical charges between the heart's chamber to become out of sync, and was given a clean bill of health. He was given a medical redshirt.

He made five tackles in four games in 2010, but saw limited action after an "injury." Taylor played in the season opener against South Carolina state, but didn't come out of the locker room after halftime with what head coach Paul Johnson called heat-related symptoms. Taylor said the heat-related illness wasn't caused by his heart condition, but played sparingly the rest of the season.

Taylor chose to transfer to Richmond for his final two years of eligibility.

Taylor started all eight games he appeared in during the 2011 season, recording 63 tackles. He emerged as a first-team All-FCS player as a senior, starting 10 games and finishing with 78 tackles, 5.0 tackles for loss, four interceptions, 1.5 sacks, three forced fumbles and nine pass breakups.

He even saw time in the team's Wildcat package on offense before having that role curtailed by a broken hand.

A former FBS standout with excellent athleticism, Taylor started to create a little bit of buzz among the scouts and NFL representatives at the Shrine Game and is poised to be a rising prospect heading into the draft.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1619598

Thanks for the report. Sounds like the heart thing might be part of the past but would have to clear out medicals. If he does I'd love to pick him up as that SS/LB coverage player

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Due diligence on the QB, interest on the WR or both?

Jeff Tuel, QB (6-3, 218) — Tuel ran the 40 in 4.60 and 4.65 seconds. He had a 4.12-second short shuttle and a 6.90-second three-cone drill. He had a 32-inch vertical jump and a 9-foot-3 broad jump. Tuel had a great pro day, and I suspect that he will have a strong showing when he has a workout with the New England Patriots on March 22. Tuel will be joined by receiver Marquess Wilson — who was at the combine — at that workout, which will be held at the University of Idaho. Tuel also has a two-day visit with the Buffalo Bills set up for April 8-9.

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/pro-days/

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

top late round safties:

Cooper Taylor Richmond

Jermaine Robinson Toledo

Javon Harris Oklahoma

Kemal Ishmael UCF

Godver, your guy addae did well.

Jahleel Addae, DB (5-10, 195) — Addae ran the 40-yard dash in 4.65 and 4.64 seconds, had a 4.37-second short shuttle and a 6.95-second three-cone drill. He had a 38 1/2-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-4 broad jump. Addae also had 10 lifts of 225 pounds on the bench press. Addae was not invited to the combine.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Jeff Tuel, QB (6-3, 218) — Tuel ran the 40 in 4.60 and 4.65 seconds. He had a 4.12-second short shuttle and a 6.90-second three-cone drill. He had a 32-inch vertical jump and a 9-foot-3 broad jump. Tuel had a great pro day, and I suspect that he will have a strong showing when he has a workout with the New England Patriots on March 22. Tuel will be joined by receiver Marquess Wilson — who was at the combine — at that workout, which will be held at the University of Idaho. Tuel also has a two-day visit with the Buffalo Bills set up for April 8-9.

Interesting, could be they know Edelman is moving on and want to replace him. But, the more interestig thing to me is the Wilson workout. He was one of my 3 WR options in the 3rd round. Wilson has late 1st to mid 2nd round talent and would be a steal in the late 3rd if his attitude problems are overblown/he learned his lesson

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Hey, good find! I almost brought Tuel up a few weeks ago, but I didn't want to seem like a total WSU homer.  The guy is really good.  He isn't well known because the team around him (namely the o-line) was pretty bad.  The guy is very athletic and has good accuracy along with surprising arm strength.  He is a tough dude, and I think he could be a real diamond in the rough.  Right up BB's alley.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

top late round safties:

Cooper Taylor Richmond

Jermaine Robinson Toledo

Javon Harris Oklahoma

Kemal Ishmael UCF

Godver, your guy addae did well.

Jahleel Addae, DB (5-10, 195) — Addae ran the 40-yard dash in 4.65 and 4.64 seconds, had a 4.37-second short shuttle and a 6.95-second three-cone drill. He had a 38 1/2-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-4 broad jump. Addae also had 10 lifts of 225 pounds on the bench press. Addae was not invited to the combine.

that's good news, but the 10 reps are a little disappointing. here's a link to a couple of his vids http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj4mk2wJr94 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjssTxSQDOcan along with an article which was written by some guy named dan klausner of bleedinggreennation that i think it is spot on.

Jahleel Addae - SS - #15 - Central Michigan - 5'11" / 200

This is a long one. Here's the thing with Jahleel Addae, and why I have a good feeling about him. He's a player whose name had been on my radar ever since I started researching Central Michigan LT Eric Fisher (who I think is the best LT in the draft, by the way, with Luke Joeckel second). The first time I ever got to see Addae play was the Little Caesars Bowl versus Western Kentucky, and he impressed the hell out of me with his versatility, physicality and intelligence -- knew game situations, had a calming influence, orchestrated the defense pre-snap. Lined up all over the formation; was no doubt the captain and emotional leader of that unit. Addae's awareness and heads up ability both stood out, and the plays that cemented me as a believer came back-to-back halfway through the 4th quarter in the Little Caesars Bowl. Fast forward to 2:02:33 of this clip and watch. That's Addae, recognizing the screen at the snap, deftly shedding a would-be blocker and tripping up the RB at the line of scrimmage. Then it's Addae again on the punt block, tracking and hustling after the play to fall on the fumble, which would've been a first down for Western Kentucky had they recovered since Central Michigan players touched the ball.

Addae will jump out at you immediately for two things: his incredibly long, flowing dreadlocks that nearly cover his entire jersey number, and how hard he hits. Seriously, he blows people up, the kind of hits that would get a "WHOA!!!!" reaction in the press box (ala what happened when Trent Richardson steamrolled Kurt Coleman and popped his helmet off). What makes Addae different, however, is that he's not ONLY about administering kill shots every time and is smart about picking his spots. A lot of safeties will continuously -- recklessly -- launch themselves in an attempt to make highlight reel hits, but Addae is typically a disciplined and dependable tackler. Combine that with how well fast he closes (which you can also see on display when he blitzes), and you have a disruptive force who makes plays all over the field.

Then, as you watch Addae more, you start to realize and appreciate how good an athlete he is too. He may be listed as a SS, but he does not fill the role in a classic sense. As I mentioned in the previous paragraph, Central Michigan lined Addae up all over the defense. Had moments in coverage where he'd look fluid in his backpedal and then turn and run fine with a receiver, others where he'd struggle to keep up. As is the case with most safeties, Addae appeared more comfortable providing help over the top instead of matching up in single coverage. His ball skills also surprised me, much better than I anticipated (4 INT in each of the past two seasons).

As you might be able to tell, Jahleel Addae, like his teammate Eric Fisher, is a prospect I've come to adore quite a bit.

youre all over it ricky!

go man!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

well we do have the need. but not the # of picks yet.

if browns are interested in mallet. one side or the other may want to hold off till draft day

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Lost Chung and Thomas day 1.  Chung joins the long list of 2nd round busts. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Look on the bright side faucet...we tendered Hooman with a 5th!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In the last 7 offseasons, this is probably by far the most antsy I have been. It's because NWE has very few picks that there is very little room to make mistakes on those picks. I feel it does not help that they are as conservative on FA as they have been in the past.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

Surprised by all the quality DB's on the market. Initially I was hopeful for just one quality CB but with a depressed market I wouldnt be surprised to see us go after 2 starting quality CB's and maybe 1 nickel CB. My preference at this point would be Derek Cox and Keenan Lewis. Lets see how Day 2 goes.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Did you guys notice Darius Butler was extended with the Colts?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

In response to mcboyd22's comment:

Did you guys notice Darius Butler was extended with the Colts?

Played well down the stretch for them. I always thought we gave up too early on him. Happy for him that he has turned things around.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'm hoping BB takes a long look at Bernard Pollard, who'll be cut by Balt today... that'd go a long way towards solving the need for some physicality in the back end of the defense.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9047356/baltimore-ravens-release-top-tackler-bernard-pollard-source

Sections
Shortcuts