***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to Faucetman's comment:

With Talib locked up for another year, and the addition of Adrian Wilson, we may not even target DB early in the draft, especially if Dennard avoids jail time. I think Dennard's sentencing is in early April so we will know.

At Safety we have:

McCourty

A. Wilson

T. Wilson

Greggory

Ebner

At Corner we have:

Talib

Dennard

Arrington

Dowling

Since McCourty can play CB too we could actually go with 9 DBs this year or maybe sign another vet F/A CB as I can't imagine Cole being the best option out there.

So, if the above assumptions are solid, and we pick up one of the aging stud edge rushers, I could really see us going OL with one of those top two picks.  If we sign Sanders and re-structure Lloyd, we could be set at WR. 

Lloyd

Sanders

Amendola

Jones

Edelman or TBD

We're already set at RB and TE.  This could be one of those years like 2007 where we don't do much in the draft.

Mankins is 31 and Connolly is 30.  I really would like see us add a top interior Offensive linesman and perhaps a young edge rusher or ILB to use in nickel situations.

We basically have 3 corners right now and one of them can't move outside. Ras I have zero faith can last a game yet alone a season. Our CB core is paper thin. I'd like to add another vet and draft someone in the 2nd or 3rd

PatsEng take a look at Dj Hayden this kid is awesome

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

With Talib locked up for another year, and the addition of Adrian Wilson, we may not even target DB early in the draft, especially if Dennard avoids jail time. I think Dennard's sentencing is in early April so we will know.

At Safety we have:

McCourty

A. Wilson

T. Wilson

Greggory

Ebner

At Corner we have:

Talib

Dennard

Arrington

Dowling

Since McCourty can play CB too we could actually go with 9 DBs this year or maybe sign another vet F/A CB as I can't imagine Cole being the best option out there.

So, if the above assumptions are solid, and we pick up one of the aging stud edge rushers, I could really see us going OL with one of those top two picks.  If we sign Sanders and re-structure Lloyd, we could be set at WR. 

Lloyd

Sanders

Amendola

Jones

Edelman or TBD

We're already set at RB and TE.  This could be one of those years like 2007 where we don't do much in the draft.

Mankins is 31 and Connolly is 30.  I really would like see us add a top interior Offensive linesman and perhaps a young edge rusher or ILB to use in nickel situations.

We basically have 3 corners right now and one of them can't move outside. Ras I have zero faith can last a game yet alone a season. Our CB core is paper thin. I'd like to add another vet and draft someone in the 2nd or 3rd

I am certainly not going to proclaim Ras-I can stay on the field this upcoming season but does anyone know what his injurty was and more importantly if it was the same injury from the previous season that he never fully recovered from?

Does anyone remember any details?

He had played, I think, every game(but one) for three straight years in college prior to his senior season. So there is at least some track record of consistently being on the field in his past.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

At Safety we have:

McCourty

A. Wilson

T. Wilson

Greggory

Ebner

At Corner we have:

Talib

Dennard

Arrington

Dowling

Lloyd

Sanders

Amendola

Jones

Edelman or TBD

I don't think we should spend one of our top 2 picks at CB, especially if Dennard avoids jail time.  We have two solid starters in Talib and Dennard.  Arrington is our nickel.  If one of the starters goes down we have McCourty who can move over to corner for a game or two.  I agree we can't count on Dowling so you are talking about spending one of our top 2 picks (I'm assuming our 3rd rounder goes for Sanders) on yet another CB.  Under this scenario, this player would see the field on special teams and maybe as a dime.  I don't think that is where we need to upgrade the most.

Whereas we are down our starting RT at the moment and lost our #1-2 best back up interior OL in Thomas.  I think OL has to be targeted with one of those top two picks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Looks like Lloyd will be released.  I assume then that the Sanders deal will happen now.  I don't think Jones or Sanders are #1 types.  So maybe draft a WR and OL with the first two picks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

pass rusher all day , then 2 big wrs is where im at at the moment. antd 2 cbs in fa, check that a #1 and a #2. apears we get arrington and hopefully a #1. one of hopkins - rogers should be a star if not both.

bredbrue,

Guess I misunderstood you.  I don't see BB going WR in the draft.  His track record drafting WRs has been dismal at best.  I also don't think it is smart to expect a young WR to emerge year 1 and be a weapon for Brady.  I am not against taking one late in the draft but I definitely don't want one with our first two picks unless it is Tavon Austin. 

If we sign Sanders I agree we still could use a tall physical WR but I don't think it trumps our need for depth on the OL, CB and coverage LB as it stands today.  Besides, with Gronk and Hern our need for that big red zone type WR is limited as TB has those better options.  

I actually think if we don't retain Edelman (which looks less likely with the addition of Washington and possibly Sanders) we should consider Heyward-Bay strictly from a stretch the field prospective.  He's 6-2 so you get that tall WR you want.  He is also a speed merchant who is actually developing into a decent weapon.  Over the past two years he had 105 catches for 1,581 and 9 TD.  Carson Palmer is no Tom Brady so his production can only improve.  I would like this move a lot and it shouldn't cost too much.

We could have Lloyd and Heyward-Bay on the outside with Amendola and Sanders in the slot with Sanders able to flex outside.  We can fill the 5th WR position with a late pick, Ebert, Edelman or another cheap veteran.  

[/QUOTE]

i hear your thougths. you dont think bey has questionable hands?

anyone who takes 2 players with him im good with. i dont know bey is that . a big bodied guy who can snag in traffice ala hopkins, rogers and a few others are who im lookign at.

looks like jj has it similar to me as in pass rusher, wr and wr or cb.

we coudl go line, cover lb, dt sure.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

At Safety we have:

McCourty

A. Wilson

T. Wilson

Greggory

Ebner

At Corner we have:

Talib

Dennard

Arrington

Dowling

Lloyd

Sanders

Amendola

Jones

Edelman or TBD

I don't think we should spend one of our top 2 picks at CB, especially if Dennard avoids jail time.  We have two solid starters in Talib and Dennard.  Arrington is our nickel.  If one of the starters goes down we have McCourty who can move over to corner for a game or two.  I agree we can't count on Dowling so you are talking about spending one of our top 2 picks (I'm assuming our 3rd rounder goes for Sanders) on yet another CB.  Under this scenario, this player would see the field on special teams and maybe as a dime.  I don't think that is where we need to upgrade the most.

Whereas we are down our starting RT at the moment and lost our #1-2 best back up interior OL in Thomas.  I think OL has to be targeted with one of those top two picks.

McCourty is our starting FS, replacing him with Gregory because we have no depth at CB would be a gigantic mistake. Esp, since we know McCourty is a much better FS then CB. You are essentially weakening two positions because you don't have depth. I agree not to draft a CB in the 1st but in the 2nd makes sense.

One other thing to think about is Talib is on a one year deal. We might need to get a replacement for him. It would be wise to get one in the system this year and give him a year to season

As for the OL, they are high on Cannon so if they are comfortable letting Vollmer walk because of Cannon I don't worry about a starting RT. Either way I'm just not spending a 1st on a backup OL. We have Scar, they is no need to spend a 1st on a backup OL when most of our backups have come in later rounds and UDFA's and they are very viable

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

At Safety we have:

McCourty

A. Wilson

T. Wilson

Greggory

Ebner

At Corner we have:

Talib

Dennard

Arrington

Dowling

Lloyd

Sanders

Amendola

Jones

Edelman or TBD

McCourty is our starting FS, replacing him with Gregory because we have no depth at CB would be a gigantic mistake. Esp, since we know McCourty is a much better FS then CB. You are essentially weakening two positions because you don't have depth. I agree not to draft a CB in the 1st but in the 2nd makes sense.

One other thing to think about is Talib is on a one year deal. We might need to get a replacement for him. It would be wise to get one in the system this year and give him a year to season

As for the OL, they are high on Cannon so if they are comfortable letting Vollmer walk because of Cannon I don't worry about a starting RT. Either way I'm just not spending a 1st on a backup OL. We have Scar, they is no need to spend a 1st on a backup OL when most of our backups have come in later rounds and UDFA's and they are very viable

agree on mcc

generally agree with adding a cb

want o line, with # of picks though, need to go wr with at least 1 of the 3 (if not 2)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

I took a look at some receivers and I`ll share my thoughts with you and I want your opinion, here are my thoughts...

1)DeAndre Hopkins:this kid is awesome, he is a deep threat receiver. he had a fantastic carreer in Clemson, he can explodes and get separation easily, and is too much agile, he also is a good route runner, can run short middle and long routes, awesome double movies faking directions and confusing defenders, he is a difficult guy to cover, also receives balls in the traffic ,great body control , good in blocking too.

But he has an average size 6`1"outside receivers generaly are bigger, and sometimes he drops easy balls trying to make moves early, but this is a great prospect, the biggest concern for me is his size ...share your thoughts guys please

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Agree on grabbing another corner in this draft. Talib is potentially a 1 yr rental and Ras a big question mark. Between cannon and zusuvics, we may be set at rt if they don't sign vollmer, but I believe thy will. 

The mallet ? Is still out there. It either yields us a player of need, WR/DT, and/or a replacement pick for sanders. I think a deal is already n place with someone on mallet as bb is moving on sanders. If that is he case, and we can replenish the pick, then I use my 3 first picks on DT/de, cb and WR. Not necessarily in that order.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt

CB Derek Hayden, who almost died at practice in Nov., will work out for NFL clubs Monday at U of H. He has 4 private workouts coming up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt

CB Derek Hayden, who almost died at practice in Nov., will work out for NFL clubs Monday at U of H. He has 4 private workouts coming up.

I think his name is DJ Hayden

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

MB Dj Hayden is awesome man, he is always around the ball, he looks like a shadow, in the game against UCLA this kid was a beast, could intercept three passes, forced a fumble,  what a corner! he also avoid blocks to stop runs, not one of the bigger but he is tough he can be a great fit in our defense!

Just saw the UCLA youtube. I don't see what you guys see in DJ. The INT he made at the 2:27 mark was more about a bad throw by thh QB I thought. Sure he still found teh ball. I just thought the QB made it easier by not throwing it over. The pass he defended at the 5 min mark would have been called for a penalty. Less than a minute in the video after that, they showed a play that he was flagged for.

He's big and showed some ability, but he does not look to me like someone who will be better than DMC. 

If the Pats pick him, I'd be okay, but not excited.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

Looks like Lloyd will be released.  I assume then that the Sanders deal will happen now.  I don't think Jones or Sanders are #1 types.  So maybe draft a WR and OL with the first two picks.

Faucet,

Im completely on board with going OL and WR with the top picks we have. I was actually thinking of posting the same thing but you beat me to it. Donald Thomas' departure was disappointing to me as I was hoping he would be given the chance to start at RG over Connolly. He has much more upside IMO and the verstaility to play both Guard Spots. Right now Nick McDonald is our top depth guy at Guard and is likely to see significant playing time if Connolly's back issues recur. I am hoping we address this in Free Agency by picking up Brandon Moore former RG of the Jets or maybe we luck out in the draft and either Warmack or Cooper fall to 29 (possible but not likely).If not, my favorite Guard prospect Larry Warford should be there in the top half of the 2nd or we could settle for Travis Frederick at the bottom of the second. Warford next to Cannon would give us a Right Side capable of driving any DLine backwards especially in those critical 3rd and 2, 3rd and 1 running situations. Its time we run more power like we used to back in the early part of the last decade. With Brady throwing to an entirely new set of WR, the best thing we can do for our offense is put out the best OL possible.Brady will need more time to find Receivers than he has in the past. Leaning on a strong running game will be key as the passing offense takes time to build up Chemistry. OLine play will be key in 2013 and we just dont have enough talent at RG. Scarnecchia could probably get some scrub late rounder to play decent at RG, but decent will not be good enough if we are hoping to win it all.

Regarding WR, Im hopeful that Keenan Allen falls to 29 due to his knee issue. IMO the best WR prospect in this draft. Hopkins, Dobson, Rogers, Mark Harrison and Marquess Wilson would also be good complements to the guys we already have.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

MB Dj Hayden is awesome man, he is always around the ball, he looks like a shadow, in the game against UCLA this kid was a beast, could intercept three passes, forced a fumble,  what a corner! he also avoid blocks to stop runs, not one of the bigger but he is tough he can be a great fit in our defense!

Just saw the UCLA youtube. I don't see what you guys see in DJ. The INT he made at the 2:27 mark was more about a bad throw by thh QB I thought. Sure he still found teh ball. I just thought the QB made it easier by not throwing it over. The pass he defended at the 5 min mark would have been called for a penalty. Less than a minute in the video after that, they showed a play that he was flagged for.

He's big and showed some ability, but he does not look to me like someone who will be better than DMC. 

If the Pats pick him, I'd be okay, but not excited.

what were you looking for that you didn't find? i have a feeling your just looking for splash play highlights. 

Not really. I just did not think UCLA's QB and receivers really did much to challenge him. And on the plays where he stuck really close with the receiver (at the 5 and 5+ mark), I did not think he defended the receiver cleanly. He is tough/tenacious, I'll give him that. I can't say I don't like him. I just did not see much to get excited (there were a couple of plays I liked on the 2011 Penn St youtube).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Hey Ricky... Will Davis has been discussed before. Compared to what I saw on Hayden's UCLA and Penn St youtube, I liked more what I saw in Davis' youtube vs (New Mexico St and Utah). From 2:40 on, I thought his clips showed he consistently was in the right position relative to his receiver. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

At Safety we have:

McCourty

A. Wilson

T. Wilson

Greggory

Ebner

At Corner we have:

Talib

Dennard

Arrington

Dowling

Lloyd

Sanders

Amendola

Jones

Edelman or TBD

"One other thing to think about is Talib is on a one year deal. We might need to get a replacement for him. It would be wise to get one in the system this year and give him a year to season"

seriously why sign him to a year. dumb move. behavior and games played based contract for 4 years or so woudl have been the way to go. maybe pickup 1 more fa corner.. and forget abotu that psotion in the draft. now if wht you hope happens (clean off field, stays on field and plays well), you have no shot at keeping him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

DeANDRE HOPKINS is looking good right now after the release of lloyd. Hopkins, Amendola, and hopefully Emmanuel Sanders will make for a solid WR group. throw in Gronk and Hern along with a solid running game. won't miss a beat.

now that would be nice.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

I took a look at some receivers and I`ll share my thoughts with you and I want your opinion, here are my thoughts...

1)DeAndre Hopkins:this kid is awesome, he is a deep threat receiver. he had a fantastic carreer in Clemson, he can explodes and get separation easily, and is too much agile, he also is a good route runner, can run short middle and long routes, awesome double movies faking directions and confusing defenders, he is a difficult guy to cover, also receives balls in the traffic ,great body control , good in blocking too.

But he has an average size 6`1"outside receivers generaly are bigger, and sometimes he drops easy balls trying to make moves early, but this is a great prospect, the biggest concern for me is his size ...share your thoughts guys please

i brought him to the baord adn been talking about him since. i do liek bigger wrs for us generally. he aint small. ideally id love to go 2 wrs (ie he and rogers) but bb is fing that up by only getting talib for 1 year

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.