***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to Godvernment's comment:

Will Davis getting abused vs Louisiana Tech

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCDCJ6jiSko

worst tackling CB prospect in the draft. maybe even worst tackling defender in entire draft. only hope is to be drafted by a cover 2 team.

Yeah, he tackles bad. Can't seem to wrap. When he does wrap, he wraps weak. 

However, also on that video was a CB who did really well covering the outside receiver. He did a good job of tracking his receiver, looking for the ball in time and batting the ball.

How many passes were thrown his way in that video? It felt like there were 20. How many were completed? One (at the 4:30 mark). I did not mind that even. He left the receiver a bit of space between him and the sideline, but I've seen worse. The pass was a good one. The other pass that was completed down the middle (later on the video) I thought was on the S. Towards the end, they were obviously playing soft -- what most teams do when trying to protect the lead.

I'd take the coverage on a tradeoff with tackling - especially in a pass happy league. I think the staff can help him on his tackling. I don't think the staff can help CBs who come to the team good coverage.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt

CB Derek Hayden, who almost died at practice in Nov., will work out for NFL clubs Monday at U of H. He has 4 private workouts coming up.

I think his name is DJ Hayden

His full name is Derek Sherrard Hayden

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

Looks like Lloyd will be released.  I assume then that the Sanders deal will happen now.  I don't think Jones or Sanders are #1 types.  So maybe draft a WR and OL with the first two picks.

Until they sign Vollmer and add another WR or two (Sanders and ?), OL and WR are definite areas for consideration in Rd 1/2, I agree.  Is this the year that BB finally pops on a WR in Rd 1(Hopkins/Austin)?  We still have (5) weeks to find out, ha.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Scouts Inc.'s Kevin Weidl believes Houston CB D.J. Hayden is "one the best kept secrets in this draft."

Hayden has been unable to work out during the pre-draft process due to a freak heart injury that took place during the latter parts of the 2012 season, but "he's a playmaker that will end up starting," according to Weidl. We agree, since Hayden is very fluid in his back pedal with excellent quickness to close on targets and locate the football.

I agree with Kevin, kid is WAY, WAY underrated in most online draft publications.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Guys...any news on sanders? Did we put in an offer sheet for him? I am finding news we did and news we didn't.

even if sanders is brought onboard, I still think the pats should and will draft a WR, especially if they don't bring back Edelman, and if donte doesn't play for whatever reason. It would leave us with amendola, sanders, jones. A couple of big question marks on health from 2 of those 3. 

i would like to see Hopkins or hunter. Love austin but seems like we have an over abundance of slot types or guys that can at least play it. Give me a guy that is going to make his living on the outside with some speed and length. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Guys...any news on sanders? Did we put in an offer sheet for him? I am finding news we did and news we didn't.

even if sanders is brought onboard, I still think the pats should and will draft a WR, especially if they don't bring back Edelman, and if donte doesn't play for whatever reason. It would leave us with amendola, sanders, jones. A couple of big question marks on health from 2 of those 3. 

i would like to see Hopkins or hunter. Love austin but seems like we have an over abundance of slot types or guys that can at least play it. Give me a guy that is going to make his living on the outside with some speed and length. 

I was wondering the same thing in regards to Sanders... haven't seen any updated info, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.  I do agree though that even with a Sanders signing that they'd still need to bring in another WR and preferably one that can play on the outside, i.e. Hopkins.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

With Talib locked up for another year, and the addition of Adrian Wilson, we may not even target DB early in the draft, especially if Dennard avoids jail time. I think Dennard's sentencing is in early April so we will know.

At Safety we have:

McCourty

A. Wilson

T. Wilson

Greggory

Ebner

At Corner we have:

Talib

Dennard

Arrington

Dowling

Since McCourty can play CB too we could actually go with 9 DBs this year or maybe sign another vet F/A CB as I can't imagine Cole being the best option out there.

So, if the above assumptions are solid, and we pick up one of the aging stud edge rushers, I could really see us going OL with one of those top two picks.  If we sign Sanders and re-structure Lloyd, we could be set at WR. 

Lloyd

Sanders

Amendola

Jones

Edelman or TBD

We're already set at RB and TE.  This could be one of those years like 2007 where we don't do much in the draft.

Mankins is 31 and Connolly is 30.  I really would like see us add a top interior Offensive linesman and perhaps a young edge rusher or ILB to use in nickel situations.

We basically have 3 corners right now and one of them can't move outside. Ras I have zero faith can last a game yet alone a season. Our CB core is paper thin. I'd like to add another vet and draft someone in the 2nd or 3rd

I don't think we should spend one of our top 2 picks at CB, especially if Dennard avoids jail time.  We have two solid starters in Talib and Dennard.  Arrington is our nickel.  If one of the starters goes down we have McCourty who can move over to corner for a game or two.  I agree we can't count on Dowling so you are talking about spending one of our top 2 picks (I'm assuming our 3rd rounder goes for Sanders) on yet another CB.  Under this scenario, this player would see the field on special teams and maybe as a dime.  I don't think that is where we need to upgrade the most.

Whereas we are down our starting RT at the moment and lost our #1-2 best back up interior OL in Thomas.  I think OL has to be targeted with one of those top two picks.

McCourty is our starting FS, replacing him with Gregory because we have no depth at CB would be a gigantic mistake. Esp, since we know McCourty is a much better FS then CB. You are essentially weakening two positions because you don't have depth. I agree not to draft a CB in the 1st but in the 2nd makes sense.

One other thing to think about is Talib is on a one year deal. We might need to get a replacement for him. It would be wise to get one in the system this year and give him a year to season

As for the OL, they are high on Cannon so if they are comfortable letting Vollmer walk because of Cannon I don't worry about a starting RT. Either way I'm just not spending a 1st on a backup OL. We have Scar, they is no need to spend a 1st on a backup OL when most of our backups have come in later rounds and UDFA's and they are very viable

all valid points.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Well, it seems like the pats now need to sign sanders. If not, we just created a big crater in our WR corps with welker and Lloyd gone. Either that, or perhaps they have other plans ?

I was wondering the same thing in regards to Sanders... haven't seen any updated info, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.  I do agree though that even with a Sanders signing that they'd still need to bring in another WR and preferably one that can play on the outside, i.e. Hopkins.

Lifer, I posted this link on another thread.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/03/steelers-wr-emmanuel-sanders-takes-to-facebook-to-discuss-situation-with-patriots/

May have to wait a day or two

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Thanks JJ. 

Seems strange the pats would put themselves in this position not getting an offer sheet to sanders and cutting Lloyd. I understand the timing on Lloyd because of the money due to him, but it makes the sanders situation even a higher priority signing.....unless the pats are behind the scenes working on another trade? Any guesses anyone?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

You like Hopkins or hunter on the outside? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

hopkins, rogers, hunter yea

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

I don't usually comment here, but I'm really not excited about DH Bey as an option.  He was terrible his first year or two, and he does have trouble hanging onto the ball.  He  did get better this year, but a good game is always followed by a bad one.  He would drive Brady nuts.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

The only one in the universe who thought he should be drafted so high was Al Davis.  I don't think he caught 10 passes his first year...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric1. Show KyleCleric1's posts

In response to jcri's comment:

The only one in the universe who thought he should be drafted so high was Al Davis.  I don't think he caught 10 passes his first year...

You're right!! He had 9. :P

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/Barkevious-Mingo?id=2540140

I know it's highly unlikely, but how crazy would it be to see the Pats move up in the draft 2 years in a row to select a guy like Mingo.  That defense would be stacked.

Pats picks in rounds 1-3=1080pts

TB@13=1150

Caro@14=1100

That might actually work.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

In response to Army2LT's comment:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/Barkevious-Mingo?id=2540140

I know it's highly unlikely, but how crazy would it be to see the Pats move up in the draft 2 years in a row to select a guy like Mingo.  That defense would be stacked.

Pats picks in rounds 1-3=1080pts

TB@13=1150

Caro@14=1100

That might actually work.

hell to the NO

Why not?  Should we just draft bums in rounds 2+3 and cut them 3 years from now?  This team doesn't really have room to add average players.  We need a couple more stars and we'd be set.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

241lbs is a bit light, but I'm sure he'll gain weight.  BB seems to prefer guys a little heavier.

Are you against trading up at all?  Or doing it for Mingo?

Our 29th in the first and 3rd rounder could possibly move us up to the 22-23 range.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Hopkins all day for me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from braunzy. Show braunzy's posts

Hopkins all day for me.

Hopkins seems like a receiver the Pats would be interested in. Wouldn't be surprised if he is their number 1 ranked WR.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to braunzy's comment:

Hopkins all day for me.

Hopkins seems like a receiver the Pats would be interested in. Wouldn't be surprised if he is their number 1 ranked WR.

I may be in the minority on this one, but I think Hopkins is the #1 WR in this class overall.  Love his combo if size, physicality, ball skills and RAC ability.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to braunzy's comment:

Hopkins all day for me.

i have not seen him #1 on anyones list. however he looks a good fit here.

several other big wrs avail if we double up or miss on hopkins, including da rick rogers

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

I believe the Pats first round pick will be between a WR or a DT.

WR:
    Keenan Allen
    Tavon Austin
    Robert Woods
    Justin Hunter
    DeAndre Hopkins

DT:
    Sheldon Richardson
    Kawann Short
    Sylvester Williams

Sections
Shortcuts