***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I'm sorry guys I just can't get behind Carradine, same as I couldn't get behind Brace and Cunningham (I was a Dunlap fan). When most of your production comes because the opponent is worried about other players more then you I really have to question if that production is real and what happens when you are the man in the system. It's really the big question mark I have with Carradine, what would he have looked like without Werner and would he even be talked about if Jenkins didn't get hurt 

I think all would have to be looked at individually, though the same question could be asked about Werner as while he's a good player with a good skill set, he's been lucky enough to play across from two good football players as well.  Carradine, IMO has the size/length and skill set to be a real asset on the edge... good awareness, play speed and effort, but up the field and in backside pursuit... excels vs the run and really uses his hands/arm length well to keep blockers at a distance, sets the edge and has a more advanced pass rush repetoire than one would think for a kid with only (2) years at a D1 program (spent the first two at a JUCO I believe).

I think your question is fair, but I also think that Carradine, who's produced when given a chance, projects as a good player at the NFL level.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

- I’m told Jordan Kovacs results today will likely push him into the late rounds of the draft.  Most specifically his three cone time of 6.62s and short shuttle of 4.19s will dispel some of the concerns that he’s a straight line safety.  As reported earlier the New England Patriots will work out Kovacs individually.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6860

It's the 3 cone time. Anyone seen him play?  Special Teams??

Name:  Jordan Kovacs 
    College:  Michigan      Number: 32
    Height: 5-11    Weight: 205 
    Position:  SS   Pos2: FS/ST
    Class/Draft Year:  rSr/2013
    40 Low: 4.52    40 Time:  4.60   40 High: 4.70 
    Projected Round:    Stock:      
    Rated number 28 out of 164 SS's    

Another late round S to look at is Oregon's John Boyett... very active and instinctive player and has similar size to Kovacs... he had Day 2 upside, but most all of last season with what I believe is patellar tendon injuries(s).

From what I remember about Kovacs, he was an active kid that was around the football quite often... believe he was actually a walk-on, a real blue collar self starter.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

Hey MB pats had a private workout with Marquess Wilson, do u know something about this guy?

He's one of PE's boys (believe Wazzu likes him too)... good size kid, quicker than fast (has the good triangle numbers)... productive during his time at WSU... but there are def maturity/character questions as he left the team claiming abuse by the coaching staff, so one has to wonder he he'll take to hard coaching... talented kid with Day 2 talent, but the quitting on the team thing bothers me, similar to Syracuse's Mike Williams a couple years ago.

Hey guys! Yeah, I'd be happy about getting Wilson late 3rd or later, assuming that BB is comfortable with his character.  thin beef with the coaches and quitting on the team is a huge red flag, obviously, but the talent is there to become a very good NFL wideout.  I would like to see us take that chance.

Washington State QB Jeff Tuel has also been linked to the Patriots.  I really like the thought of taking a chance on Tuel with one of our 7th rounders.  His career at WSU wasn't eye-popping, but his supporting cast (mainly the O-Line) was pretty bad.  Tuel is a tough, smart kid who throws a good ball and I really believe he could be a diamond-in-the-rough.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm sorry guys I just can't get behind Carradine, same as I couldn't get behind Brace and Cunningham (I was a Dunlap fan). When most of your production comes because the opponent is worried about other players more then you I really have to question if that production is real and what happens when you are the man in the system. It's really the big question mark I have with Carradine, what would he have looked like without Werner and would he even be talked about if Jenkins didn't get hurt 

I think all would have to be looked at individually, though the same question could be asked about Werner as while he's a good player with a good skill set, he's been lucky enough to play across from two good football players as well.  Carradine, IMO has the size/length and skill set to be a real asset on the edge... good awareness, play speed and effort, but up the field and in backside pursuit... excels vs the run and really uses his hands/arm length well to keep blockers at a distance, sets the edge and has a more advanced pass rush repetoire than one would think for a kid with only (2) years at a D1 program (spent the first two at a JUCO I believe).

I think your question is fair, but I also think that Carradine, who's produced when given a chance, projects as a good player at the NFL level.

The thing about that is Werner was dbl teamed the entire season so other teams game planned around him. That gives me less concern. When Carradine is having a dbl digit sack season and Werner is still the guy teams game plan around that says a lot about both players imo.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

The thing about that is Werner was dbl teamed the entire season so other teams game planned around him. That gives me less concern. When Carradine is having a dbl digit sack season and Werner is still the guy teams game plan around that says a lot about both players imo.

Personally, I'd be thrilled with either player at 29.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I think your argument is better suited for a relatively non-productive player like Devin Taylor, who has never been able to throw up big S/TFL #'s while playing along side/across from Jadeveon and Mel Ingram.

Tough for me to dump on Carradine for producing at a high level when given the opportunity... and I'd have to doubt (haven't seen film of all games) that he was just single blocked all season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

I think your argument is better suited for a relatively non-productive player like Devin Taylor, who has never been able to throw up big S/TFL #'s while playing along side/across  Jadeveon and Mel Ingram.

Tough for me to dump on Carradine for producing at a high level when given the opportunity... and I'd have to doubt (haven't seen film of all games) that he was just single blocked all season.

Dont have an issue with Carradine's production. You could also make the case that Carradine's production was more impressive than Werner's seeing that Carradine lined up mostly at RDE and thus went against the opposing teams best pass protector (the Left Tackle) whereas Werner's sacks came mostly against the lesser pass protector in the RT. This is not to say I necessarily think he is a better player than werner but just giving him props for playing well against good competition.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Saw this on Nepatriotsdraft:

29.          New England Patriots – DE Cornellius Carradine, Florida St.

Carradine’s height, bulk, and length should remind New England of Chandler Jones; their recent interest in free-agent pass rushers suggests they are seeking an upgrade over Rob Ninkovich.

59.          New England Patriots – WR Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech 

91.          New England – CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Connecticut

1st RD     DE, Carradine

2nd RD    CB, DJ Hayden

3rd RD     WR, S.Bailey

or DT 

Kwame Geathers

Bennie Logan

Jordan Hill

Montori Hughes

Both would be good hauls.

change abiley to rogers and im good.

move up and get hopkins and rogers im better (hoping we get anothe corner in fa)

add a second rder and ge both hayden and hopkins in 2, caradine in 1, and rogers in 3, im ecstatic.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

Carradine’s height, bulk, and length should remind New England of Chandler Jones; their recent interest in free-agent pass rushers suggests they are seeking an upgrade over Rob Ninkovich.

1st RD     DE, Carradine

2nd RD    CB, DJ Hayden

3rd RD     WR, S.Bailey

or DT 

Kwame Geathers

Bennie Logan

Jordan Hill

Montori Hughes

move up and get hopkins and rogers im better (hoping we get anothe corner in fa)

add a second rder and ge both hayden and hopkins in 2, caradine in 1, and rogers in 3, im ecstatic.

It really is all preference at this point and while I think Rogers has some size and upside and wouldn't be mad if they snagged him on Day 2, I think Bailey is the better player and IMO, projects as a kid that could come in and pick things up quickly.

I'd take Bailey over Rogers at any point in this draft.

I'd even go so far to say that Stedman Bailey is one of the most underrated prospects in this class.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Tank Carradine, Defensive End
    If it wasn’t for his mid-season injury, Tank Carradine might be touted as the best prospect from Florida State instead of fellow defensive end Bjoern Werner. And while Carradine won’t able to work out for NFL teams until his now schedule April 20th workout date (per TomahawkNation.com), he was able to wow NFL teams by putting up 32 reps on the bench press. That would have been the 4th best number put up at the NFL Combine (he did 28 himself in Indy), and no other 1st round hopeful defensive lineman put up 30 plus in at the Combine.

He can definitely set the edge. If he blows up his pro-day he will not be at 29.  He has film that shows good technique.  It will be interesting how he is viewed.  While he rises, I keep reading Hankins dropping and S Williams moving up challenging Sharriff.  Scouts love S Williams motor and pursuit to the end of play, opposite with Hankins.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Forget 7th RD,

-Also today,20 NFL teams were at the Richmond Pro Day. Safety Cooper Taylor ran a 4.45 with a 36.5 vertical jump, impressive for a 6’4, 228 pound strong safety. He may go as high as the Top 100, especially for teams looking to employ the Seattle Seahawks hybrid/big-bodied defense.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Interesting draft fact:

Daniel Jeremiah @MoveTheSticks 5m

There have only been 2 fullbacks (total) selected in the last 5 NFL Drafts. #AlmostExtinct

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Forget 7th RD,

-Also today,20 NFL teams were at the Richmond Pro Day. Safety Cooper Taylor ran a 4.45 with a 36.5 vertical jump, impressive for a 6’4, 228 pound strong safety. He may go as high as the Top 100, especially for teams looking to employ the Seattle Seahawks hybrid/big-bodied defense.

Impressive #'s from a big kid, curious as to what his triangle #'s are... really like this kid, had him Day 3, heck had him Rd 7, but I may have to rethink that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

If it wasn’t for his mid-season injury, Tank Carradine might be touted as the best prospect from Florida State instead of fellow defensive end Bjoern Werner. And while Carradine won’t able to work out for NFL teams until his now schedule April 20th workout date (per TomahawkNation.com), he was able to wow NFL teams by putting up 32 reps on the bench press. That would have been the 4th best number put up at the NFL Combine (he did 28 himself in Indy), and no other 1st round hopeful defensive lineman put up 30 plus in at the Combine.

He can definitely set the edge. If he blows up his pro-day he will not be at 29.  He has film that shows good technique.  It will be interesting how he is viewed.  While he rises, I keep reading Hankins dropping and S Williams moving up challenging Sharriff.  Scouts love S Williams motor and pursuit to the end of play, opposite with Hankins.

I def see the same with Tank and Sylvester... curious to what effect, if any, the Urban/Vrabel relationship will have here, in regards to Hankins.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Forget 7th RD,

Impressive #'s from a big kid, curious as to what his triangle #'s are... really like this kid, had him Day 3, heck had him Rd 7, but I may have to rethink that.

3rd rd for sure:

Taylor, who clocks in as one of the biggest safeties in the 2013 NFL Draft at 6'4" and 229 pounds, posted some impressive measurables at the Richmond Pro Day, posting what would be excellent numbers for a linebacker of his size. Taylor ran the 40-yard dash in times of 4.45 and 4.53, which is much faster than I expected him to run and put up 23 reps on the bench press.

Taylor also posted a 36.5" vertical jump as well as a 10'7" broad jump. In the agility drills, Taylor graded out excellent for his size with a 4.2 short shuttle and a 6.9 3-cone time which would have ranked him right at the same pace with some of the top safeties and corners in the draft.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Forget 7th RD,

3rd rdfor sure:

Taylor, who clocks in as one of the biggest safeties in the 2013 NFL Draft at 6'4" and 229 pounds, posted some impressive measurables at the Richmond Pro Day, posting what would be excellent numbers for a linebacker of his size. Taylor ran the 40-yard dash in times of 4.45 and 4.53, which is much faster than I expected him to run and put up 23 reps on the bench press.

Taylor also posted a 36.5" vertical jump as well as a 10'7" broad jump. In the agility drills, Taylor graded out excellent for his size with a 4.2 short shuttle and a 6.9 3-cone time which would have ranked him right at the same pace with some of the top safeties and corners in the draft.

Some pretty impressive triangle #'s for a tall kid... def looks like a bigtime option as that S/LB hybrid that'd match up well with TE's.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

They were talking about how he will be looked at like Kam Chancellor in Seattle as a "bandit " safety, exactly what you are projecting.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Mike Loyko @NEPD_Loyko 11m

Arizona St. RT @DougHaller: Bill Belichick stopped by campus and visited with Todd Graham. Graham plans to take coaches visit Patriots soon.

Anyone have an idea if there are any prospects he would be looking at to draft?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Updated Big 53 Board... new additions highlighted in red:

Rd 1

DT- Jesse Williams

DE/OLB- Tank Carradine

OG- Jonathan Cooper

CB- Xavier Rhodes

DT- Sylvester Williams

WR- DeAndre Hopkins

WR- Keenan Allen

WR- Tavon Austin

OT DJ Fluker

DT- John Hankins

Rd 1-2

S- Matt Elam

S- Jon Cyprien

Rd 2

CB- DJ Hayden

CB- Logan Ryan

CB- Johnthan Banks

CB- Jamar Taylor

CB- Jordan Poyer

OLB/DE- Margus Hunt

WR- Quinton Patton

DT- John Jenkins

Rd 2-3

CB- Darius Slay

WR- Stedman Bailey

WR- Ryan Swope

S- DJ Swearinger

LB- Khaseem Greene

OL- Barrett Jones

OL- Brian Winters

Rd 3

S- Shamarko Thomas

WR- Markus Wheaton

DE/OLB- Michael Buchanan

OL- David Quessenberry

C/OG- Brian Schwenke

DE/OLB- Lavar Edwards

CB- Tyrann Mathieu

DE/OLB- Devin Taylor

DT- Kwame Geathers

Rd 4-7

WR/PR- Ace Sanders

S- Cooper Taylor

S- Josh Evans

WR- Chris Harper

WR- Josh Boyce

OT- Reid Fragel

S- Zeke Motta

DE/OLB- Cornelius Washington

OG- Jeff Baca

OL- Tanner Hawkinson

DL- Josh Boyd

WR- TJ Moe

RB- Spencer Ware

WR- Trent Steelman

DL- Chris Jones

DL- Quinton Dial

DL- Kapron Lewis-Moore

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Mike Loyko @NEPD_Loyko 11m

Arizona St. RT @DougHaller: Bill Belichick stopped by campus and visited with Todd Graham. Graham plans to take coaches visit Patriots soon.

Anyone have an idea if there are any prospects he would be looking at to draft?

ASU doesn't really have any Day 2 kids, so maybe late round/URFA types WR Jamal Miles, S Keelan Johnson or OT Brice Schwab?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'm interested to see if BB will target Army QB Trent Steelman on Day 3-URFA as an Edelman type QB convert (same goes for Denard Robinson)... Both Steelman and Robinson are tough, productive kids that dont' have the skill set to remain as QB's at the NFL level, but have displayed the athleticism to potentially contribute on ST as they get more comfortable at WR.

Robinson has gamebreaking speed and ability in the open field, while Steelman has demonstrated a ton of versatility and willingness to do whatever he can to help the team (believe he was long snapping at the shrine game?).

You know BB loves these military kids, which is one of the big reasons that I've added Steelman as a late round option... his pro-day is Thursday.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

1st RD     DE, Carradine

2nd RD    CB, DJ Hayden

3rd RD     WR, S.Bailey

or DT 

Kwame Geathers

Bennie Logan

Jordan Hill

Montori Hughes

It really is all preference at this point and while I think Rogers has some size and upside and wouldn't be mad if they snagged him on Day 2, I think Bailey is the better player and IMO, projects as a kid that could come in and pick things up quickly.

I'd take Bailey over Rogers at any point in this draft.

I'd even go so far to say that Stedman Bailey is one of the most underrated prospects in this class.

havent watched a lot of players like you guys (icludign bailey) AND i know it's very difficult to box out a big and tall wr.

opinion registered

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

thanks jj.

yes im hoping carradine isnt ready till after the draft.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Forget 7th RD,

that is athletic