***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Tank Carradine, Defensive End
    If it wasn’t for his mid-season injury, Tank Carradine might be touted as the best prospect from Florida State instead of fellow defensive end Bjoern Werner. And while Carradine won’t able to work out for NFL teams until his now schedule April 20th workout date (per TomahawkNation.com), he was able to wow NFL teams by putting up 32 reps on the bench press. That would have been the 4th best number put up at the NFL Combine (he did 28 himself in Indy), and no other 1st round hopeful defensive lineman put up 30 plus in at the Combine.

He can definitely set the edge. If he blows up his pro-day he will not be at 29.  He has film that shows good technique.  It will be interesting how he is viewed.  While he rises, I keep reading Hankins dropping and S Williams moving up challenging Sharriff.  Scouts love S Williams motor and pursuit to the end of play, opposite with Hankins.

I def see the same with Tank and Sylvester... curious to what effect, if any, the Urban/Vrabel relationship will have here, in regards to Hankins.

as previosuly menitioned had syl williams and floyd a few months ago when they were way down the chart, if we went dt over de

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Forget 7th RD,

-Also today,20 NFL teams were at the Richmond Pro Day. Safety Cooper Taylor ran a 4.45 with a 36.5 vertical jump, impressive for a 6’4, 228 pound strong safety. He may go as high as the Top 100, especially for teams looking to employ the Seattle Seahawks hybrid/big-bodied defense.

Impressive #'s from a big kid, curious as to what his triangle #'s are... really like this kid, had him Day 3, heck had him Rd 7, but I may have to rethink that.

3rd rdfor sure:

Taylor, who clocks in as one of the biggest safeties in the 2013 NFL Draft at 6'4" and 229 pounds, posted some impressive measurables at the Richmond Pro Day, posting what would be excellent numbers for a linebacker of his size. Taylor ran the 40-yard dash in times of 4.45 and 4.53, which is much faster than I expected him to run and put up 23 reps on the bench press.

Taylor also posted a 36.5" vertical jump as well as a 10'7" broad jump. In the agility drills, Taylor graded out excellent for his size with a 4.2 short shuttle and a 6.9 3-cone time which would have ranked him right at the same pace with some of the top safeties and corners in the draft.

Some pretty impressive triangle #'s for a tall kid... def looks like a bigtime option as that S/LB hybrid that'd match up well with TE's.

long as he can play bigitime on the field, bb has picked wrs and cbs with top #s and many have not been "footabll players"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

the draft date needs to be moved up. i don't see a reason why it shouldn't be. get these kids on their teams, moved into and comfortable with their new city. no need to drag out free agency for a whole month.

+1000

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Mallett trade talks are coming up again and yet again I'm having fantasies about getting either the #6 pick (Browns) or the #13 pick (Tampa). I know it's not likely but nether is winning the lotto but doesn't stop me from getting a ticket every couple months or so. It's all about the fantasy.

With that in mind I saw this report this morning so if BB drugs a GM and holds their family hostage and somehow gets a top pick we can forget about Patterson:

NFL Films guru Greg Cosell believes Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson needs "a lot of refinement running routes."

"(He's much) more explosive with ball in hands than as a route runner," Cosell said. "Needs quality WRs coach." Patterson's game is raw all around, but his size/speed package is tops among all wideouts in this year's draft class. Someone drafting in the first 20 picks will likely decide they're the team that can refine his routes and polish his game.

I don't want a WR would can't run routes that early in the draft. It's scary the lack of talent in WR up top which is why I don't want to grab one in the 1st. There is some good talent in the 2nd and 3rd round though.

So minus Patterson looking at available players to drool over I have a shopping list of:

#6 - Sharrif (glad I called him early and watched how quickly he rose), Milliner, Star

#13 - Richardson, Rhodes (he's rising quick and don't think he makes it out of the top 20), trade back for more picks

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Mallett trade talks are coming up again and yet again I'm having fantasies about getting either the #6 pick (Browns) or the #13 pick (Tampa). I know it's not likely but nether is winning the lotto but doesn't stop me from getting a ticket every couple months or so. It's all about the fantasy.

With that in mind I saw this report this morning so if BB drugs a GM and holds their family hostage and somehow gets a top pick we can forget about Patterson:

NFL Films guru Greg Cosell believes Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson needs "a lot of refinement running routes."

"(He's much) more explosive with ball in hands than as a route runner," Cosell said. "Needs quality WRs coach." Patterson's game is raw all around, but his size/speed package is tops among all wideouts in this year's draft class. Someone drafting in the first 20 picks will likely decide they're the team that can refine his routes and polish his game.

I don't want a WR would can't run routes that early in the draft. It's scary the lack of talent in WR up top which is why I don't want to grab one in the 1st. There is some good talent in the 2nd and 3rd round though.

So minus Patterson looking at available players to drool over I have a shopping list of:

#6 - Sharrif (glad I called him early and watched how quickly he rose), Milliner, Star

#13 - Richardson, Rhodes (he's rising quick and don't think he makes it out of the top 20), trade back for more picks

Hey Eng. Yeah, the Mallett trade talk is definitely heating up again. Looks like it may happen.  I do think that you are dreaming a bit if you're hoping for #6 or #13, but who knows?  I think that a 3 rd and a 4 th from Clev is a more likely package. I've heard a rumor that Browns DT Phil Taylor could be part of the compensation.  Again, just a rumor.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

Doubt anything happens with Tampa since they are widely known to be in on Revis and would likely have to part with their first to get him. Cleveland however would be interesting. My preference would be  adding a second rounder by trading down to the mid to late teens and then picking up whoever is left of Sheldon Richardson, Shariff Floyd or Star Lotulelei.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to speedster81's comment:

Doubt anything happens with Tampa since they are widely known to be in on Revis and would likely have to part with their first to get him. Cleveland however would be interesting. My preference would be  adding a second rounder by trading down to the mid to late teens and then picking up whoever is left of Sheldon Richardson, Shariff Floyd or Star Lotulelei.

It would be nice but they only chance of getting a trade down into the teens would be to trade Mallett well in advance of the draft and a team has to be willing to trade up from the teens. Not sure both can happen truthfully, even though the original scenerio is a long shot anyways. Could it happen? Sure, some team will fall in love with Patterson or Milliner and think the drop off from them to the next at the position is to great but I'm not sure I see a team in the teens who would look to do that.

Though how about this for a crazy scenerio. We trade Mallett and #29 to Clev for #6. Then trade #6 to Tampa for #13, 3rd, and 5th and they take Geno. Now that would just be funny in my eyes that we could get 2 separate teams to trade in the same draft for QB's. It's a dream scenerio but would be interesting to say the least. Mallett and #29 for #13, another 3rd, and a 5th drool... to bad it's time to wake up  :_(

If we trade Mallett in reality I see us getting a 3rd this year and a conditional 3rd next year that can turn into a 2nd. Seems about the right value for him. I'd love to have Phil Taylor but I just don't see the Browns trading a top end starting DT with high potential just about to enter his prime for potential at this point. Yes Mallett has franchise potential but Taylor is a proven defensive anchor and mama always taught me you don't trade a known star for a potential one even if it's a QB. You trade potential (draft picks) for potential (Mallett) because nether is a gaurantee

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Haha c'mon, you know BB would fcVk up your fantasy and turn the #6 pick into (4) 2nd rounders.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Haha c'mon, you know BB would fcVk up your fantasy and turn the #6 pick into (4) 2nd rounders.

I know but don't say that. I hope 09' would be fresh in his head. What a bad year that was. But imagine the scenerio we get #13, a 3rd, and a 5th and we turn that into Richardson, DJ. Hayden, and a project QB for Mallett. A person can dream right?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I know but don't say that. I hope 09' would be fresh in his head. What a bad year that was. But imagine the scenerio we get #13, a 3rd, and a 5th and we turn that into Richardson, DJ. Hayden, and a project QB for Mallett. A person can dream right?

Haha yeah, would be quite the return for a player that you hope would never see the field for a meaningful snap!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Guys.. Love the fantasy talk on mallett as its fun to speculate and dream...I do my fair share!

however, in the Tampa scenario...I thougt Tampa is looking for a quality backup, not a starter? Is it your impression if mallett went there that he would be competing with freeman for the starting role? I would think he would have to if Tampot took smith or mallett. Cleveland I can understand. Btw...Cleveland was at Arkansas pro day along with 14 other teams. I am scouring that list to see what team might be in contention for mallets services. 

Any other potential trade partners other than Cleveland and Tampon? Does anyone have a link on mallett throwing at the Arkansas prod day?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Guys.. Love the fantasy talk on mallett as its fun to speculate and dream...I do my fair share!

however, in the Tampa scenario...I thougt Tampa is looking for a quality backup, not a starter? Is it your impression if mallett went there that he would be competing with freeman for the starting role? I would think he would have to if Tampot took smith or mallett. Cleveland I can understand. Btw...Cleveland was at Arkansas pro day along with 14 other teams. I am scouring that list to see what team might be in contention for mallets services. 

Any other potential trade partners other than Cleveland and Tampon? Does anyone have a link on mallett throwing at the Arkansas prod day?

Not much,

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article/29895/razorback-pro-day-3-and-out-mallett-returns-to-throw-joe-adams-cant-get-40-time-down

http://nesn.com/2012/03/ryan-mallett-returns-to-arkansas-to-throw-passes-at-razorbacks-pro-day/

Nfl.com

Arkansas hosted 29 NFL team representatives, including the Miami Dolphins quarterback coach and the Jacksonville Jaguars running back coach, on its pro day on Friday. Drills were run indoors on FieldTurf. Twenty-eight people participated in the pro day, 23 from Arkansas.

Alvin Bailey, OL (6-3 3/8, 320) — Bailey ran a 4.69-second short-shuttle and 7.50-second three-cone drill. He looked good in his positional workouts.

Dylan Breeding, K (6-1 1/8, 213) — Breeding was only measure and weighed at Arkansas’ pro day.

Knile Davis, RB (5-11 1/4, 222) — He looked real good catching the ball.

Chris Gragg, TE (6-2 3/4, 244) — Gragg ran a 4.35-second short-shuttle and caught the ball really well. He had one phenomenal catch along the sidelines where he stayed in-bounds and most scouts didn’t think he could.

Cobi Hamilton, WR (6-1 3/4, 215) — Hamilton ran the 40-yard dash in 4.58 and 4.56 seconds and recorded a 7.09-second three-cone drill. He looked good in positional workouts.

Dennis Johnson, RB (5-6 3/4, 196) — Johnson had times of 4.47 and 4.49 seconds in the 40-yard dash. He also recorded a 32 1/2-inch vertical and 9-foot-10 broad jump. He ran a 4.55-second short-shuttle and a very fast 7.11-second three-cone drill. John put up 225 pounds 21 times. The thoughts on him are he would make an excellent kick returner in the NFL.

Tyler Wilson, QB (6-2, 215) — Wilson looked very, very good during drills. He had a lot of zip on the ball, threw tight spirals and made all the throws.

Ronnie Wingo, RB (6-1 1/4, 231) — Wingo ran the 40-yard dash in 4.49 and 4.46 seconds. He had a 33-inch vertical and a 9-foot-9 broad jump. He did 18 reps of 225 on the bench, a 4.50-second short-shuttle and 7.47 three-cone drill.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I like the report on Cragg. Still wouldn't mind picking him up if we got an early day 3 pick. He'd be an excellent TE->WR convert

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I understand what Cossell says about Patterson's route running. Regardless, he gets separation from his defender. Has excellent catch radius. Very good hands. His WAC ability (perhaps not showing in the stats yet) is among the best I've seen. There have been times when four defenders boxing him is not enough to contain him.  

QBs will want to throw at him. He will get enough chances to refine his route running. I think he will be spectacular in the NFL. 

He could be there at 13. I don't expect him to get past Carolina at 14.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Not much,

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article/29895/razorback-pro-day-3-and-out-mallett-returns-to-throw-joe-adams-cant-get-40-time-down

http://nesn.com/2012/03/ryan-mallett-returns-to-arkansas-to-throw-passes-at-razorbacks-pro-day/

Nfl.com

Arkansas hosted 29 NFL team representatives, including the Miami Dolphins quarterback coach and the Jacksonville Jaguars running back coach, on its pro day on Friday. Drills were run indoors on FieldTurf. Twenty-eight people participated in the pro day, 23 from Arkansas.

Alvin Bailey, OL (6-3 3/8, 320) — Bailey ran a 4.69-second short-shuttle and 7.50-second three-cone drill. He looked good in his positional workouts.

Dylan Breeding, K (6-1 1/8, 213) — Breeding was only measure and weighed at Arkansas’ pro day.

Knile Davis, RB (5-11 1/4, 222) — He looked real good catching the ball.

Chris Gragg, TE (6-2 3/4, 244) — Gragg ran a 4.35-second short-shuttle and caught the ball really well. He had one phenomenal catch along the sidelines where he stayed in-bounds and most scouts didn’t think he could.

Cobi Hamilton, WR (6-1 3/4, 215) — Hamilton ran the 40-yard dash in 4.58 and 4.56 seconds and recorded a 7.09-second three-cone drill. He looked good in positional workouts.

Dennis Johnson, RB (5-6 3/4, 196) — Johnson had times of 4.47 and 4.49 seconds in the 40-yard dash. He also recorded a 32 1/2-inch vertical and 9-foot-10 broad jump. He ran a 4.55-second short-shuttle and a very fast 7.11-second three-cone drill. John put up 225 pounds 21 times. The thoughts on him are he would make an excellent kick returner in the NFL.

Tyler Wilson, QB (6-2, 215) — Wilson looked very, very good during drills. He had a lot of zip on the ball, threw tight spirals and made all the throws.

Ronnie Wingo, RB (6-1 1/4, 231) — Wingo ran the 40-yard dash in 4.49 and 4.46 seconds. He had a 33-inch vertical and a 9-foot-9 broad jump. He did 18 reps of 225 on the bench, a 4.50-second short-shuttle and 7.47 three-cone drill.

Wingo sure looks like a big straightlined kid that doesn't move well in any other direction, ha.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

I understand what Cossell says about Patterson's route running. Regardless, he gets separation from his defender. Has excellent catch radius. Very good hands. His WAC ability (perhaps not showing in the stats yet) is among the best I've seen. There have been times when four defenders boxing him is not enough to contain him.  

QBs will want to throw at him. He will get enough chances to refine his route running. I think he will be spectacular in the NFL. 

Oh I'm sure he'd be fine with some team but not with this one. Brady tends to get frustrated with WR's who don't run the right routes and will stop throwing to their direction.  We've seen it with a number of WR's now coming into Foxboro. Unless they are where Brady expects them to be he just simply stops throwing to them. It's one of the few things I look at for WR's in the draft. How well they run routes and their 3 cone numbers. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Oh I'm sure he'd be fine with some team but not with this one. Brady tends to get frustrated with WR's who don't run the right routes and will stop throwing to their direction.  We've seen it with a number of WR's now coming into Foxboro. Unless they are where Brady expects them to be he just simply stops throwing to them. It's one of the few things I look at for WR's in the draft. How well they run routes and their 3 cone numbers. 

Agreed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

MB some of the top performers for 3 cone that have been battered around here:

TJ Moe (#1) - don't know about route running, maybe you can help with that

*#1 in 20yrd shuttle, #1 60yrd shuttle, t-#10 vertical 

Marquess Wilson (#2) - I know he's an above average route runner but a knuckle head who could present good value in the 3rd, 

Da'Rick Rogers! (#4) - Excellent route runner good hands. If not for being kicked off the team I'm convinced we'd be talking about him as a top 20 type pick up there with Patterson. To me he presents great value and someone BB should love. Great run blocker, excellent route runner, good hands, good YAC ability, and high value for where they could take him

*#5 in 20yrd shuttle, #5 60yrd shuttle, t-#1 vertical, #2 broad

Ryan Swope (#6) - good route runner, decent hands

* t-#5 vertical, t-#7 broad, t-#2 40yrd

Markus Wheaton (#7) - excellent route runner

*#4 in 20yrd shuttle, #2 60yrd shuttle, t-#5 vertical, #10 40yrd

Funny how these guys were talked about before we even knew about their 3 cone numbers. You think BB might have been training us subconsciously all along?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Marquess Wilson (#2) - I know he's an above average route runner but a knuckle head who could present good value in the 3rd, 

Da'Rick Rogers! (#4) - Excellent route runner good hands. If not for being kicked off the team I'm convinced we'd be talking about him as a top 20 type pick up there with Patterson. To me he presents great value and someone BB should love. Great run blocker, excellent route runner, good hands, good YAC ability, and high value for where they could take him

Funny how these guys were talked about before we even knew about their 3 cone numbers. You think BB might have been training us subconsciously all along?

Good Stuff, PE... you can toss in, Stedman Bailey (8th 3C/8th SS), Ace Sanders (tied for 8th in the 3C), Chris Harper (10th in the 3C) and Quinton Patton (tied for 12th in the 3C) as other names that this board had discussed far in advance of the draft.

Hardly any tape out there on Moe, but the reports show a Welker like skill set as a highly competitive kid with very good/elite short area quicks and the saavy to get open underneath... also plays faster than his timed speed.

Short area quicks and COD are one of the skill sets that I look for when watching tape on a kid as we know BB values it; so it's a good feeling when prospects that we discuss validate what we're seeing by timeing well, yeah.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

This article could have been written by Eng, MB, or Lifer or others it encapuslates a lot of what many have posted.   Wideout Woes: Whiffs Won’t Scare Patriots Away From Drafting a Receiver in 2013 Quinton Patton Senior Bowl

Quinton Patton is a player that the Patriots could target in the first fifty picks of the 2013 NFL Draft. (USA Today Sports Images)

NEPD Staff Writer: Oliver Thomas

Nine. That’s the number of wide receivers the New England Patriots have drafted since 2002.

While that number suggests head coach Bill Belichick is open to grooming young route-runners to catch passes from Tom Brady, the team’s success rate in doing so tells another story.

Of the nine wideouts selected by the Patriots over that span, it can be argued that only Deion Branch and David Givens became integral parts in the offense. They were drafted 11 years ago.

When you take away the 477 receptions Branch and Givens amassed over their tenure with the Patriots, the other seven draft picks have combined for just 285 catches—or in Wes Welker terms—two and a half seasons.

The Patriots are undergoing renovations at receiver. Welker and Brandon Lloyd are no longer on the roster, and former seventh-round quarterback Julian Edelman is unsigned. In terms of the receivers actually under contract with New England, it’s freshly inked slot receiver Danny Amendola, an AFC East foe named Donald Jones, Pro Bowl gunner Matthew Slater and three practice squad players.

Needless to say, someone not already in the fold will be brought in to make an impact. Yes, the depleted wide receiving corps suggests the Patriots will turn to a place of mixed results: the draft.

The draft has seen the Patriots invest second-round draft picks in the likes of Texas A&M’s Bethel Johnson and Florida’s Chad Jackson. It has also seen the team nab North Carolina’s Brandon Tate and Ohio’s Taylor Price in Round 3. Unfortunately, none of which were able to carve out a significant role in the passing attack. None of which remained in New England beyond three seasons, either.

New England’s checkered past of missing on receivers certainly makes the future an uncertain one. But if there was ever a time for the Patriots to grab a receiving prospect, it would be now.

Without the help of Welker, Lloyd and potentially Edelman, 36 percent of the Patriots’ total yardage from 2012 could be missing. And seeing how the biggest chips of free agency have already fallen—barring third-round compensation for tendered Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Emmanuel Sanders—Radio City Music Hall is likely to be the venue for New England to re-stock the wide receiver depth.

This year’s class is loaded with mid-round options at wideout. There may not be a receiver selected in the top 10 picks, but there will be a laundry list of difference-makers chosen between Round 2 and Round 3. With the deep crop, Belichick and director of player personnel Nick Caserio won’t have to mortgag the entire draft to find a viable receiver.

So, who exactly could the Patriots use a pick on? Here are four notable names who fit the bill.

Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech

Patton was a highly productive cog in the Bulldogs’ pass-heavy offense. During his senior year, 6’, 204-pounder posted 104 receptions for 1,394 yards and 13 touchdowns. He also pieced together eight games with a catch of more than 40 yards. Since transferring from Coffeyville Community College in 2011, Patton has shown some tremendous body control and precision route-running. He’s not a burner, but he can line up at more than just the “Z” receiver spot and should hear his name called either late in day one or early in day two

Da’Rick Rogers, Tennessee Tech

A Tennessee defect, Rogers finished his college career at Tennessee Tech. He finished strong too, racking up 78 receptions for 1,207 yards and 11 touchdowns. Standing in at 6’2″, 217 pounds, Rogers has the length to be potent target down the field. He ran the 3-cone drill in 6.71 seconds at the NFL combine, where he also showed outstanding leaping ability and some sure hands. Despite a questionable track record, Rogers is the type of player the Patriots may deem too good to pass up if available at pick 59 of Round 2.

Markus Wheaton, Oregon State

The Beavers’ all-time leading receiver, Wheaton played bigger than his 5’11″, 189-pound frame. Wheaton has some of the shiftiest feet in the 2013 draft, and registered a 3-cone time of 6.8 seconds in Indianapolis. Wheaton may not be the prototypical downfield target, but he does run tight routes and knows how to track the football into his grasp. He is another potential candidate to be drafted at the end of the second round.

Stedman Bailey, West Virginia

Stedman Bailey is a gritty player who doesn’t get the recognition he deserves because he was on the same team as Tavon Austin, the most exciting player in college football. No, he’s not a burner and he’s not very imposing at 5’10”, 193 pounds, but Bailey will make an impact in the NFL from day one. He knows how to produce, and did just that for the Mountaineers, catching 113 balls for 1,627 yards and 25 touchdowns this past season. He’s a physical and heady receiver who should find a home in the second or third round.

Outlook

Regardless of New England’s history of missing on receivers, the need for a young field-stretcher is at an all-time high. With just five draft picks, though, the team must be diligent in finding the right one. Move over, Deion Branch and David Givens, there’s reason to believe the dry spell ends this April.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Personnally, I'm scared to death of the Pats selecting a WR in the draft - horrendous is an understatement on our drafting abilities with that position. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to mcboyd22's comment:

Personnally, I'm scared to death of the Pats selecting a WR in the draft - horrendous is an understatement on our drafting abilities with that position. 

I agree but what can you do, they need to develop WRs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

with you on floyd potential. not sure,  but believe i had him long before others broiugh him to board. ditto on rhodes. only comments about both picks i proposed were against at the time.

who would i pick?

probably trade back and look to get the best pass rusher, hopkins, best avail cb and da rick rogers in that order for our top 4 picks (basically what i wanted before this scenario came along)

for pass rusher, i would look ansah, jordan, werner.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

again with rogers, was on him here long before... nevermind, when the only comments at all in reposne were negative

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

This article could have been written by Eng, MB, or Lifer or others it encapuslates a lot of what many have posted.   Wideout Woes: Whiffs Won’t Scare Patriots Away From Drafting a Receiver in 2013 Quinton Patton Senior Bowl

Quinton Patton is a player that the Patriots could target in the first fifty picks of the 2013 NFL Draft. (USA Today Sports Images)

NEPD Staff Writer: Oliver Thomas

Nine. That’s the number of wide receivers the New England Patriots have drafted since 2002.

While that number suggests head coach Bill Belichick is open to grooming young route-runners to catch passes from Tom Brady, the team’s success rate in doing so tells another story.

Of the nine wideouts selected by the Patriots over that span, it can be argued that only Deion Branch and David Givens became integral parts in the offense. They were drafted 11 years ago.

When you take away the 477 receptions Branch and Givens amassed over their tenure with the Patriots, the other seven draft picks have combined for just 285 catches—or in Wes Welker terms—two and a half seasons.

The Patriots are undergoing renovations at receiver. Welker and Brandon Lloyd are no longer on the roster, and former seventh-round quarterback Julian Edelman is unsigned. In terms of the receivers actually under contract with New England, it’s freshly inked slot receiver Danny Amendola, an AFC East foe named Donald Jones, Pro Bowl gunner Matthew Slater and three practice squad players.

Needless to say, someone not already in the fold will be brought in to make an impact. Yes, the depleted wide receiving corps suggests the Patriots will turn to a place of mixed results: the draft.

The draft has seen the Patriots invest second-round draft picks in the likes of Texas A&M’s Bethel Johnson and Florida’s Chad Jackson. It has also seen the team nab North Carolina’s Brandon Tate and Ohio’s Taylor Price in Round 3. Unfortunately, none of which were able to carve out a significant role in the passing attack. None of which remained in New England beyond three seasons, either.

New England’s checkered past of missing on receivers certainly makes the future an uncertain one. But if there was ever a time for the Patriots to grab a receiving prospect, it would be now.

Without the help of Welker, Lloyd and potentially Edelman, 36 percent of the Patriots’ total yardage from 2012 could be missing. And seeing how the biggest chips of free agency have already fallen—barring third-round compensation for tendered Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Emmanuel Sanders—Radio City Music Hall is likely to be the venue for New England to re-stock the wide receiver depth.

This year’s class is loaded with mid-round options at wideout. There may not be a receiver selected in the top 10 picks, but there will be a laundry list of difference-makers chosen between Round 2 and Round 3. With the deep crop, Belichick and director of player personnel Nick Caserio won’t have to mortgag the entire draft to find a viable receiver.

So, who exactly could the Patriots use a pick on? Here are four notable names who fit the bill.

Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech

Patton was a highly productive cog in the Bulldogs’ pass-heavy offense. During his senior year, 6’, 204-pounder posted 104 receptions for 1,394 yards and 13 touchdowns. He also pieced together eight games with a catch of more than 40 yards. Since transferring from Coffeyville Community College in 2011, Patton has shown some tremendous body control and precision route-running. He’s not a burner, but he can line up at more than just the “Z” receiver spot and should hear his name called either late in day one or early in day two

Da’Rick Rogers, Tennessee Tech

A Tennessee defect, Rogers finished his college career at Tennessee Tech. He finished strong too, racking up 78 receptions for 1,207 yards and 11 touchdowns. Standing in at 6’2″, 217 pounds, Rogers has the length to be potent target down the field. He ran the 3-cone drill in 6.71 seconds at the NFL combine, where he also showed outstanding leaping ability and some sure hands. Despite a questionable track record, Rogers is the type of player the Patriots may deem too good to pass up if available at pick 59 of Round 2.

Markus Wheaton, Oregon State

The Beavers’ all-time leading receiver, Wheaton played bigger than his 5’11″, 189-pound frame. Wheaton has some of the shiftiest feet in the 2013 draft, and registered a 3-cone time of 6.8 seconds in Indianapolis. Wheaton may not be the prototypical downfield target, but he does run tight routes and knows how to track the football into his grasp. He is another potential candidate to be drafted at the end of the second round.

Stedman Bailey, West Virginia

Stedman Bailey is a gritty player who doesn’t get the recognition he deserves because he was on the same team as Tavon Austin, the most exciting player in college football. No, he’s not a burner and he’s not very imposing at 5’10”, 193 pounds, but Bailey will make an impact in the NFL from day one. He knows how to produce, and did just that for the Mountaineers, catching 113 balls for 1,627 yards and 25 touchdowns this past season. He’s a physical and heady receiver who should find a home in the second or third round.

Outlook

Regardless of New England’s history of missing on receivers, the need for a young field-stretcher is at an all-time high. With just five draft picks, though, the team must be diligent in finding the right one. Move over, Deion Branch and David Givens, there’s reason to believe the dry spell ends this April.

Thanks for posting, JJ... certainly echos a lot of what we discuss here on almost a daily basis.  At the end of the day, I'd be happy to see any of these WR's land in Foxboro on Day 2.