***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

Let's try another BDC mock draft.

With the 1st pick, in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Kansas City Chiefs select: Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M

1.  Kansas City - OT Luke Joeckel - Digger

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

2.  Jacksonville - OT Eric Fisher - Faucet

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

3.  Oakland - QB Geno Smith - jjd

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

4. Philadelphia - DL Star Lotulelei - KyleCleric

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Forgive if this has been covered in the past.  But I'd like to get some opinions of us possibly taking Kevin Minter at 29 assuming we sign a pass rusher and Edelman.  The reason I ask is Spikes is entering the final year of his contract.  He has been stout against the run but a liability in coverage.  We all know Spikes is slow as molasses in straight line speed 5.15 - forty.  Minter ran a 4.81 forty.  This added speed would help him getting to the side lines vs. all of us seeing Spikes get beat to the outside.  Minter posted a 33 inch vert, tops among ILBs.  His 119 inches in the broad jump was 2nd best.  He has 32 inch arms which are long for his 6 foot height.

I realize Fletcher will be back but how effective will he be a year removed from an ACL?  Besides, he missed 6 games in 2011 with a thumb.  To me we need to be faster at LB.  I would actually rather draft a speedy OLB and move Hightower to his more natural MLB spot but drafting a more athletic and productive Minter may have some merit.  I'm not saying this would improve us more next year vs. another position such as CB or DT (replacing Love).  Spikes hasn't been all that durable.  He has just one sack, one INT and 11 PDEF in 3 years!!  Add that to his contract being up at the end of the year, the iffy durability of Fletcher and I wonder if BB might look to draft a highly touted MLB?

My big question is, in the opinions of those on here, would Minter be an upgrade to Spikes, especially in passing situations which we're in more than 57% of the time?

I would need to check him out. I have not watched any film of his. I am hugely critical of linebackers in general and I have stated many times I do not "love" the Pats corp.

I think Mayo is decent but over rated. I was never in favor of the Spikes pick at the draft slot they took him and I was also very critical of Hightower coming out. When they took Hightower I was hoping they were going to move him to DE. I don't love him playing LB.

The last few linebackers I really liked a lot coming out were Daryl Washington, Luke Keuckly, Sean weatherspoon, Sean Lee, Jon Beason. ...and to a slightly lesser extent; Bobby Wagner and Curtis Lofton.

Would you compare Minter favorably to any of those guys I mentioned?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Forgive if this has been covered in the past.  But I'd like to get some opinions of us possibly taking Kevin Minter at 29 assuming we sign a pass rusher and Edelman.  The reason I ask is Spikes is entering the final year of his contract.  He has been stout against the run but a liability in coverage.  We all know Spikes is slow as molasses in straight line speed 5.15 - forty.  Minter ran a 4.81 forty.  This added speed would help him getting to the side lines vs. all of us seeing Spikes get beat to the outside.  Minter posted a 33 inch vert, tops among ILBs.  His 119 inches in the broad jump was 2nd best.  He has 32 inch arms which are long for his 6 foot height.

I realize Fletcher will be back but how effective will he be a year removed from an ACL?  Besides, he missed 6 games in 2011 with a thumb.  To me we need to be faster at LB.  I would actually rather draft a speedy OLB and move Hightower to his more natural MLB spot but drafting a more athletic and productive Minter may have some merit.  I'm not saying this would improve us more next year vs. another position such as CB or DT (replacing Love).  Spikes hasn't been all that durable.  He has just one sack, one INT and 11 PDEF in 3 years!!  Add that to his contract being up at the end of the year, the iffy durability of Fletcher and I wonder if BB might look to draft a highly touted MLB?

My big question is, in the opinions of those on here, would Minter be an upgrade to Spikes, especially in passing situations which we're in more than 57% of the time?

I would need to check him out. I have not watched any film of his. I am hugely critical of linebackers in general and I have stated many times I do not "love" the Pats corp.

I think Mayo is decent but over rated. I was never in favor of the Spikes pick at the draft slot they took him and I was also very critical of Hightower coming out. When they took Hightower I was hoping they were going to move him to DE. I don't love him playing LB.

The last few linebackers I really liked a lot coming out were Daryl Washington, Luke Keuckly, Sean weatherspoon, Sean Lee, Jon Beason. ...and to a slightly lesser extent; Bobby Wagner and Curtis Lofton.

2nd to 5th RD grades, many have S experience, OLB43.  If we get more picks I see an OLB in the 3rd or 4th. Brown is being talked about 1-2.

Arthur Brown

Khaseem Greene

Sio Moore

Trevardo Williams

Zaviar Gooden

DeVonte Holloman

Sean Porter  

Jelani Jenkins

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Man, you guys are draft die hards!! I don't know how you find the time to keep up with all of this!!  Props to you guys, this thread is impressive!!  Maybe even deserves to be pinned to the top of the forum in bold read headlines!!  :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

I've had trouble mocking for Jaguars. The Fisher pick makes more sense than most. But one of the few parts of the team that's ok is their LT so the pick really becomes an upgrade at the guard or right tackle positions. Might as well just take Warmack then but a guard at #2 seems like a waste especially when you could just take Pugh at #33 or Warford at #64. DT is a possibility with Lotulelei and Floyd fitting as quality selections at that point but overall, DT isn't really a weakness of that team. They have a couple of guys that can handle the position. CB is a mess so Milliner makes sense but CB at #2, especially Milliner, feels like a waste when you can grab a decent CB later in the draft. I've heard Jordan would be the perfect LEO for them. But I don't really like that project. Probably the one I'm most comfortable with Ziggy Ansah.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Cleric2, my list: They are all needs for the Jaguars. It's tough because it is not like last year with a definite impact player.

OT Eric Fisher 

DT Sharrif Floyd 

DE/OLB Dion Jordan 

CB Dee Milliner 

QB Geno Smith

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

thats what oakland shold do. you cant be in the chase without a qb. if you miss, youll have another shot next year. if you dont try, you cant win

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to KyleCleric2's comment:

I've had trouble mocking for Jaguars. The Fisher pick makes more sense than most. But one of the few parts of the team that's ok is their LT so the pick really becomes an upgrade at the guard or right tackle positions. Might as well just take Warmack then but a guard at #2 seems like a waste especially when you could just take Pugh at #33 or Warford at #64. DT is a possibility with Lotulelei and Floyd fitting as quality selections at that point but overall, DT isn't really a weakness of that team. They have a couple of guys that can handle the position. CB is a mess so Milliner makes sense but CB at #2, especially Milliner, feels like a waste when you can grab a decent CB later in the draft. I've heard Jordan would be the perfect LEO for them. But I don't really like that project. Probably the one I'm most comfortable with Ziggy Ansah.

where ya been kyle?

hey!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Has anyone talked about this kid; Pats worked him out with BB present.  He did a 3 cone in 6.99.  Could he play opposite CJ or is his hand on the ground?

Earl Okine, DL (6-6 1/2, 284) — Okine ran the 40-yard dash in 5.14 and 5.23 seconds. He did 25 reps on the bench of 225 pounds, recorded a 33-inch vertical and a 9-foot-4 broad jump. Okine completed the short-shuttle in 4.65 seconds and ran the three-cone drill in 6.99 seconds

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Has anyone talked about this kid; Pats worked him out with BB present.  He did a 3 cone in 6.99.  Could he play opposite CJ or is his hand on the ground?

Earl Okine, DL (6-6 1/2, 284) — Okine ran the 40-yard dash in 5.14 and 5.23 seconds. He did 25 reps on the bench of 225 pounds, recorded a 33-inch vertical and a 9-foot-4 broad jump. Okine completed the short-shuttle in 4.65 seconds and ran the three-cone drill in 6.99 seconds

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/

A project DT If he has the frame to add anonher 10-15 pounds??

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

I firmly believe that the Patriots will sign John Abraham and another veteran Free Agent WR, loosly taking care of our needs, but with much more to come in the draft.  I suspect we will trade Mallett for (hopefully) a 2nd round pick, and move down a few times with our picks.  The Pats are supposedly high on Kafka, and have been since he was drafted, and could roll with him as the backup.  I suspect we will make 6-8 selections in the draft broken down as follows:

2-3 in Rd 1-2

1 Rd 3

1 Rd 4

1 Rd 5-6

2 Rd 7

As for needs, I think the Pats will absolutely take a DT, WR, and CB in the early rounds.  From the 4th onwards, I envision the Pats targeting a coverage LB, OL depth, HB depth, and perhaps even a Kicker in the 7th, as Ghost's cap charge is awfuly high for an average kicker.

These are some specific players I think the Pats should target:

WR (late 1st-early 2nd): Keenan Allen

Seems like a classic Patriots receiver.  Great hands and route running ability, and doesn't really have a glaring weakness.  Has good size as well.  His lack of elite speed seems to knock him down the board, but that shouldn't be an issue for the Pats who have had bad luck with burners (Bethel Johnson, Chad Jackson), and will gladly take a player with above average speed like Allen.

DT (late 1st-early 2nd): Jonathan Hankins

A big, tough DT who is very hard to move and very good at stopping the run.  In addition, while he isn't a top pass rusher, he has shown the ability to be disruptive in the backfield, and has potential to strengthen his pass rush abilities.  The Pats tend to start strong run defenders on the line (Wilfork, Warren, Love etc), and don't tend to emphasize pass rushing in a starter.  They have Armond Armstead to provide the interior pass rush that players like Mike Wright and Myron Pryor have provided in the past, and will likely add John Abraham giving the team ample pass rush on the DL, meaning they can target a very balanced DT like Hankins, who should start next to Wilfork this year.

CB (2nd-3rd): Logan Ryan

A big and physical corner who is good in both man and zone coverage, who can be a quality backup to Dennard and Talib as an outside CB.  Also is pretty good in run support.  Kyle Arrington should not see any time outside, and having Ryan on the team adds another layer of depth, and allows Arrington to stay in the slot where he excels.  Ryan could be had in the 3rd round, a great spot for us to add to our solid CB crew.  BB likes Rutgers players, and seeing as though Ryan fits the bill of the CB we need, you have to imagine BB would pounce on Ryan in the 3rd.

OLB (4th-7th): Jamie Collins

A fast and physical prospect from a small school, Collins has the athleticism to succeed as a coverage LB here in NE.  He showed some pass rushing ability too, albeit against weaker competition.  He's a bit raw, but despite being the star of the Southern Miss defense, still played all four Special Teams units, something BB will like.  Collins could hopefully be had in the 4th, although his top-notch athleticism might put him a bit higher, where the Pats would be unlikely to pounce.  With most needs filled, the Pats can afford to take a chance on a raw but athletic talent like Collins.

At Kicker, there are two from Florida and Florida State (Caleb Sturgis and Dustin Hopkins) who are good and could be had in the 7th.  As I said earlier, some competetion for Ghost would be good considering his cap hit, and Pats don;t have many holes to fill allowing them to use a 7th rounder on a Kicker.  Wouldn't take either unless they lasted till the 7th though.

At HB could the Pats take a flyer on Marcus Lattimore?  He might be out for a while, but you can never have too much talent, and the Pats could stash him on IR if needed.  If not, he can add depth to the HB crew that lost Woodhead.  Perhaps he gives Bolden a run for the spot?  I suspect they look more at a pass catching back later on, perhaps from a small school.  These guys tend to surprise.  

I suspect the Pats will also add an interior OL prospect or two.  Pats tend to look at tough and physical guys who did well in college (i.e. Mankins), as opposed to the athletic raw prospects they get at Tackle (Solder, Vollmer), so I imagine they try and find a big school experienced mauler somewhere on Day 3.  Not sure who fits yet.  Ideas?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I have watched Minter quite a bit and he definitely looked the part this year. What I like about him to start compared to spikes, is he is an excellent run defender. So check There. He plays physical and likes contact Like spikes as well. Watching him what I noticed most is his ability to shed blocks and get to the runner. He has great sideline to sideline speed and is capable of blitzing, dropping back into coverage, but I think this area needs improvement. He kind of reminds me a little of mayo in that he is a tackling machine....however, I think he has more big play ability in him like nink. Lastly, his best games this year were against all the good teams, And he showed up big time against clemson in their bowl game...This tells me he rises to the occasion unlike Manti. Sorry MB..didn't mean to crack on your nd kid, but just my opinion.

perhaps an unpopular opinion here, but the pats may have all the DL they want right now. Armstead to me is this years 2nd round draft pick for bb. I don't know if he adds anything early in the draft At dt. Therefore, perhaps an unconventional pick, one we never saw coming like Minter makes perfect sense Given spikes last year And big ? On fletcher....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

4.  Philadelphia - DL Star Lotulelei - KyleCleric

5.  Detroit - DE Ziggy Ansah - Digger

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Make it happen, BB... I've already pre-ordered my Stedman jersey, haha.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

In response to dwhite1220's comment:

In response to Army2LT's comment:

According to our mock draft, some of the names available at #29 were-

DE Cornellius Carradine

DE Datone Jones

DE Damontre Moore

OT D.J. Fluker

LB Manti Te'o

SS Matt Elam

CB Jonathan Banks

DE Alex Okafor

Not a bad list of players to choose from.

Volmer not signed- DJ Fluker is the pick at #29.

Sratch

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

I have watched Minter quite a bit and he definitely looked the part this year. What I like about him to start compared to spikes, is he is an excellent run defender. So check There. He plays physical and likes contact Like spikes as well. Watching him what I noticed most is his ability to shed blocks and get to the runner. He has great sideline to sideline speed and is capable of blitzing, dropping back into coverage, but I think this area needs improvement. He kind of reminds me a little of mayo in that he is a tackling machine....however, I think he has more big play ability in him like nink. Lastly, his best games this year were against all the good teams, And he showed up big time against clemson in their bowl game...This tells me he rises to the occasion unlike Manti. Sorry MB..didn't mean to crack on your nd kid, but just my opinion.

perhaps an unpopular opinion here, but the pats may have all the DL they want right now. Armstead to me is this years 2nd round draft pick for bb. I don't know if he adds anything early in the draft At dt. Therefore, perhaps an unconventional pick, one we never saw coming like Minter makes perfect sense Given spikes last year And big ? On fletcher....

Manti played a dud of a game against Alabama so he can't rise to the occasion?  How do you explain his play vs. Oklahoma, on the road in Norman, in prime time? 

I also find it funny that the mainstream media is taking a dump on Manti for a 4.82 40 at the combine, but you don't hear anything about Minter's 4.81.

Look, at the end of the day I think both are solid football players, but trying to measure a kid on a one game sample after 4 years of solid play doesn't make sense, IMO.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Manti played a dud of a game against Alabama so he can't rise to the occasion?  How do you explain his play vs. Oklahoma, on the road in Norman, in prime time? 

I also find it funny that the mainstream media is taking a dump on Manti for a 4.82 40 at the combine, but you don't hear anything about Minter's 4.81.

Look, at the end of the day I think both are solid football players, but trying to measure a kid on a one game sampe after 4 years of solid play doesn't make sense, IMO.

They did the same thing to Laurinaitis when he got steam rolled in the championship game and dropped to the 2nd round and by all accounts he's having himself a really good young career so far for St Louis.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Look, at the end of the day I think both are solid football players, but trying to measure a kid on a one game sample after 4 years of solid play doesn't make sense, IMO.

I think the kid's very good. I would not want him for the Pats, though, simply because I don't think he offers anything different from what they can already get from Spikes, Mayo or Hightower. If the Pats pick up a ILB, I would like ti to be an Ogletree-type. You brought up Alonso a while back. I would mind him either.

He's still a good pick. He's played well for so long. In fact, I still remember ND play BC. It was like seeing a Kuechly and Teo show. 

Ultimately, however, teams are going to decide if the Catfishing thing matters to them. That would be the main factor for being interested or not. They would not say that however. They will say he's slow, or that he did not play well against Alabama. 

For teams interested in him, knowledge that the incident scares off some teams, allows them to wait a little longer.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

4.  Philadelphia - DL Star Lotulelei - KyleCleric

5.  Detroit - DE Ziggy Ansah - Digger

6.  Cleveland- CB Dee Milliner- MB

7.  Arizona

8.  Buffalo

9.  NYJ

10.  Tenn

11. SD

12.  MIA

13. Tampa Bay

14.  Carolina

15.  New Orleans

16.  St Louis

17.  Pittsburgh

18.  Dallas

19.  MYG

20.  Chicago

21.  Cincy

22.  Rams (From WASH)

23. Minnesota

24.  Indy

25.  Minnesota (From SEA)

26.  Green Bay

27.  Houston

28.  Denver

29.  New England

30.  Atlanta

31.  San Fran

32.  Baltimore

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Ansah in Detroit? My fear of their DL last year was premature. Maybe it's okay to be scared of them now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

I think the kid's very good. I would not want him for the Pats, though, simply because I don't think he offers anything different from what they can already get from Spikes, Mayo or Hightower. If the Pats pick up a ILB, I would like ti to be an Ogletree-type. You brought up Alonso a while back. I would mind him either.

He's still a good pick. He's played well for so long. In fact, I still remember ND play BC. It was like seeing a Kuechly and Teo show. 

Ultimately, however, teams are going to decide if the Catfishing thing matters to them. That would be the main factor for being interested or not. They would not say that however. They will say he's slow, or that he did not play well against Alabama. 

For teams interested in him, knowledge that the incident scares off some teams, allows them to wait a little longer.

I do agree that the catfish incident will cause teams to take a deeper dive into his character/background and that it would be the main factor for him dropping on draft day.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Man, you guys are draft die hards!! I don't know how you find the time to keep up with all of this!!  Props to you guys, this thread is impressive!!  Maybe even deserves to be pinned to the top of the forum in bold read headlines!!  :)

Ha, it was pinned for a short period of time, but a couple of BDC posters whined to the mod(s) and they took it down.

Sections
Shortcuts