Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Here is another mock from Charlie Campbell at walterfootball.com

he has us taking

1. Kawaan Short

2. Margus Hunt

3. Ryan Swope

not a bad haul, but in his mock Hankins and Jenkins are there at 29....and Derrick Rogers is there in the 3rd. 

Sorry to say MB, he has the Phins taking our guy Stedman Bailey...

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013charlie_1.php

I'd be kinda surprised to see Miami take another WR, with Wallace, Hartline, Bess and Gibson on the roster, ha... would much rather have Stedman than Hunt in Rd 2... heck this guy has Jesse Williams available until pick 74.

Me too..I don't see jesse Williams lasting that long either.

i like bailey with our 2nd...use our first on one of Hankins, Jenkins or jwilliams. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

he has us taking

1. Kawaan Short

2. Margus Hunt

3. Ryan Swope

not a bad haul, but in his mock Hankins and Jenkins are there at 29....and Derrick Rogers is there in the 3rd. 

Interesting but not sure I'd want Short. I still have questions on his motor. I saw plenty of times when he'd get locked into an OL and essentially be happy being blocked out of the play. He really didn't put in a ton of effort when doubled up either. I'd much rather have a higher motor guy. Give me Hankins/Jenkins/either Williams any day of the week. 

Hunt is an interesting pick. I'm assuming they believe Abraham won't sign. Which I'd be pissed at. With all the pass rushers in FA and the low end prices they are going for the Pats don't pick one up would confuse me. Same way as the CB all went cheap this past year for starters and they essentially didn't take advantage of it. I sometimes wonder if BB has to much confidence in Ras because he doesn't want to believe a #33 pick was wasted and have another high picked wasted on a CB that failed.

Swope is a nice player but to me he's an average #2 upside type of player that will be a slot guy for the rest of his career. The weird Pat for the Pats is they have been almost completely reliant on the slot WR for 3-4 years now but they don't have it as a valuable position. It might explain why they were comfortable letting one of the best slot guys in the game walk for basically peanuts. I'd much rather have Rogers who has a #1 type of upside in the Z flanker position.

Again though I'm very disappointed they didn't get a CB in this mock. I really believe they need someone to take over for Talib next year and also someone to backup the outside CB position. I really don't want to see McCourty moved out of the FS position nor do I ever want to see Arrington being moved from the star position. I have no faith Ras can stay healthy and the leaves essentially Col.... hrm person in section 325 row AA seat 5?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013-nfl-draft-rankings-dt

ne patriots draft has their draft rankings out. Some interesting scoring but J. Williams and Hankins both have high rankings. I love reading their evals for the most part and sometimes feels like they are watching this thread  >.>

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Interesting.......

http://www.scardraft.com/scott-carasiks-mock-draft/

Round 1

29. New England Patriots: WR Stedman Bailey (West Virginia) JR, 5’10-1/4″, 193 pounds

Round 2

27. New England Patriots: DE Margus Hunt (Southern Methodist) SR, 6’8-1/8″, 277 pounds

Round 3

29. New England Patriots: WR Markus Wheaton (Oregon State) SR, 5’11″, 189 pounds

I see Bailey as a Rd 1 talent and have posted as such, though I'm still big on the idea of targeting one of the better DT's in this class, continuing to improve along the LOS... then targeting WR and CB.

Now if the DT's are gone, then I'd have no prob snagging a WR in Rd 1 or trading back a bit.

whoa whoa whoa slow down. i like bailey as much as the next guy, but 1st round? no way man! 

That's your opinion... I think he's a Rd 1 talent... Not saying he'll be taken there, but I think he has the skill set to be.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

If BB does not pick up a DT on their first three picks, who can they pick up in the seventh or later?

Do any of you feel that there might be a gem among these names?

Quinton Dial (Perhaps my top choice of this set)

A Rashad White

Kapron Lewis Moore

William Campbell

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Thoughts on DT's:

For me it comes down to what the Patriots are looking for.

IF they are even considering a DT at all in the 1st three rounds is the first question.

The 2nd question is do they want a potential, eventual replacement for Wilfork one day who can be a solid clogger next to him right now but is not going to generate much of a pass rush as a couple of other options might?

If yes to the 2nd question then you are looking at Hankins or J. WIlliams.

The 3rd questions is do they want a better Mike Wright. Mike wright had 5 sacks and then 5.5 the next season in just 10 games before a concussion ended his career. 

If they want that kind of guy or potentially better then you are looking more at Short and S. Williams.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Thoughts on DT's:

IF they are even considering a DT at all in the 1st three rounds is the first question.

The 2nd question is do they want a potential, eventual replacement for Wilfork one day who can be a solid clogger next to him right now but is not going to generate much of a pass rush as a couple of other options might?

The 3rd questions is do they want a better Mike Wright. Mike wright had 5 sacks and then 5.5 the next season in just 10 games before a concussion ended his career. 

If you want that kind of guy or potentially better then you are looking more at Short and S. Williams.

Good post Low I agree about Hankins and J. Williams. I'd also toss in Jenkins into the same breath too.

For your third question I think they already have that guy in Armstead. I think Pyror, Wright, and Armstead all have similar skill sets and I see Armstead falling into a similar role or losing a little bit of weight and becoming a large DE. Right now I believe he's 295, I think he could drop down to 285, closer to his college playing weight, pick up a bit more speed and book end Jones. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Thoughts on DT's:

If you want that kind of guy or potentially better then you are looking more at Short and S. Williams.

Good post Low I agree about Hankins and J. Williams. I'd also toss in Jenkins into the same breath too.

For your third question I think they already have that guy in Armstead. I think Pyror, Wright, and Armstead all have similar skill sets and I see Armstead falling into a similar role or losing a little bit of weight and becoming a large DE. Right now I believe he's 295, I think he could drop down to 285, closer to his college playing weight, pick up a bit more speed and book end Jones. 

That could be Eng. They very well might be projecting Armstead to be that Mike wright, Jarvis Green guy. As both Mike Wright and Jarvis green showed, it does not have to be a 1st or 2nd round guy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Thoughts on DE's:

If they are looking early it's a toss up between Tank and Okafor for me. I would like to have seen Tank play the full season and at least see him workout as well as what his MRI looks like prior to making that final lean one way or the other.

I really like Okafor. The kids just finishes. So many rushers have a burst and then stall. They do not have the ability to convert speed to power. Okafor has power. The Patriots scheme is so diciplined. They do not want guys just trying to fly out of control way out wide leaving a lane or spin moving themselves outside of their lane responsibilities. Especially against teams running that option read stuff. The pass rushers gotta have some power.

The other rusher I like but is more of an 3-4 OLB type is the Jamie Collins kid.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Does anyone think the Pats are projecting Jason Vega as a cheaper backup replacement to Trevor Scott?

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to alfred-e-bob-neumier's comment:

If it's true that BB is in Kansas today to watch the workout with 3 specific players in mind, it must be to get inside info from his old Off Coord. who is the Kansas coach...oh what's his name...the one who used to coach ND...I'm definitely having a senior moment...anyone know who on Kansas BB might be looking at?

My guess is, they're looking at OL Tanner Hawkinson, who's a swing type kid that moves well and can prob play OG or OT, though his size is more indicative of an OG.

S Bradley McDougald is also a possibility as is QB Dayne Christ as a late round/URFA type.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to alfred-e-bob-neumier's comment:

If it's true that BB is in Kansas today to watch the workout with 3 specific players in mind, it must be to get inside info from his old Off Coord. who is the Kansas coach...oh what's his name...the one who used to coach ND...I'm definitely having a senior moment...anyone know who on Kansas BB might be looking at?

Weis brought a kid over from ND. I think his name is Crist. If I remember right, decent QB with high upside. 6'5"ish height like 240ish I think, if my memory is right he has decent size and a good arm. He'd be a project though.

There's also a S there who was at the combine and did decent in field position drills. Don't remember his name but extremely similar to T. Wilson in playing style and size. Could BB use another 2nd on the same style of S when people go who? Most likely not but might be a UDFA target to compete with Ebner.

I think they worked out one other player but not sure who, might have been a LB? None of them are expected to be drafted though so I'm sure he's just checking in with Weis for UDFA targets similar to what he did with Francis and Forston last year

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Interesting.......

Round 1

29. New England Patriots: WR Stedman Bailey (West Virginia) JR, 5’10-1/4″, 193 pounds

Round 2

27. New England Patriots: DE Margus Hunt (Southern Methodist) SR, 6’8-1/8″, 277 pounds

Round 3

29. New England Patriots: WR Markus Wheaton (Oregon State) SR, 5’11″, 189 pounds

Like it if you replace Wheaton for Kawaan Short- DL from Purdue--2 good lineman and a big fast WR to stretch the field--Hunt is raw but a freak and Short next to wilfork would look nice and explode the middle.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to jimmytantric's comment:

Interesting.......

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Like it if you replace Wheaton for Kawaan Short- DL from Purdue--2 good lineman and a big fast WR to stretch the field--Hunt is raw but a freak and Short next to wilfork would look nice and explode the middle.

sorry Jimmy, that's very unlikely. Short is a top 50 player, the odds of him making to the back of the 3rd are slim unless he suddenly shoots himself in the leg at a club, fails a drug test, or punches a cop

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Does anyone think the Pats are projecting Jason Vega as a cheaper backup replacement to Trevor Scott?

Yes. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

he has us taking

1. Kawaan Short

2. Margus Hunt

3. Ryan Swope

Interesting but not sure I'd want Short. I still have questions on his motor. I saw plenty of times when he'd get locked into an OL and essentially be happy being blocked out of the play. He really didn't put in a ton of effort when doubled up either. I'd much rather have a higher motor guy. Give me Hankins/Jenkins/either Williams any day of the week. 

Hunt is an interesting pick. I'm assuming they believe Abraham won't sign. Which I'd be pissed at. With all the pass rushers in FA and the low end prices they are going for the Pats don't pick one up would confuse me. Same way as the CB all went cheap this past year for starters and they essentially didn't take advantage of it. I sometimes wonder if BB has to much confidence in Ras because he doesn't want to believe a #33 pick was wasted and have another high picked wasted on a CB that failed.

Swope is a nice player but to me he's an average #2 upside type of player that will be a slot guy for the rest of his career. The weird Pat for the Pats is they have been almost completely reliant on the slot WR for 3-4 years now but they don't have it as a valuable position. It might explain why they were comfortable letting one of the best slot guys in the game walk for basically peanuts. I'd much rather have Rogers who has a #1 type of upside in the Z flanker position.

Again though I'm very disappointed they didn't get a CB in this mock. I really believe they need someone to take over for Talib next year and also someone to backup the outside CB position. I really don't want to see McCourty moved out of the FS position nor do I ever want to see Arrington being moved from the star position. I have no faith Ras can stay healthy and the leaves essentially Col.... hrm person in section 325 row AA seat 5?

I am not a fan of this mock at all. I do agree with taking Rogers over Swope if they are both there. I prefer bailey over both however. 

The pats need to make 1 more significant move in FA...cb, de or WR. 

If they pay Abraham , skip drafting a de this year and focus on DT (jwilliams), grab a cb, and if sanders is still being considered, perhaps hIm for our third. They could also bring in a vet cb, use 1& 2 on DT and de, a third for sanders again. I agree with LOW on okafor. I like him over hunt at this point. Jwilliams, okafor, trade for sanders and sign a vet cb...I like the sound of that.

mb...how do you see bailey as compared to trading for sanders?  3rd for sanders plus contract vs a 2nd probably for bailey plus manageable contract. Tough decision here. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

he has us taking

1. Kawaan Short

2. Margus Hunt

3. Ryan Swope

I am not a fan of this mock at all. I do agree with taking Rogers over Swope if they are both there. I prefer bailey over both however. 

If they pay Abraham , skip drafting a de this year and focus on DT (jwilliams), grab a cb, and if sanders is still being considered, perhaps hIm for our third. They could also bring in a vet cb, use 1& 2 on DT and de, a third for sanders again. I agree with LOW on okafor. I like him over hunt at this point. Jwilliams, okafor, trade for sanders and sign a vet cb...I like the sound of that.

mb...how do you see bailey as compared to trading for sanders?  3rd for sanders plus contract vs a 2nd probably for bailey plus manageable contract. Tough decision here. 

As someone previously posted, (my apologies to the author), getting Sanders with the 3rd allows you to get the cb in the 2nd round instead of waiting to the 3rd if you go dt, wr, cb.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Thoughts on DE's:

If they are looking early it's a toss up between Tank and Okafor for me. I would like to have seen Tank play the full season and at least see him workout as well as what his MRI looks like prior to making that final lean one way or the other.

I really like Okafor. The kids just finishes. So many rushers have a burst and then stall. They do not have the ability to convert speed to power. Okafor has power. The Patriots scheme is so diciplined. They do not want guys just trying to fly out of control way out wide leaving a lane or spin moving themselves outside of their lane responsibilities. Especially against teams running that option read stuff. The pass rushers gotta have some power.

The other rusher I like but is more of an 3-4 OLB type is the Jamie Collins kid.

agree low on carradine and okafor. been on them (and jones) for quite a while (for bottom of rd 1)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to jimmytantric's comment:

Interesting.......

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

sorry Jimmy, that's very unlikely. Short is a top 50 player, the odds of him making to the back of the 3rd are slim unless he suddenly shoots himself in the leg at a club, fails a drug test, or punches a cop

:)

love it, make it so.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

he has us taking

1. Kawaan Short

2. Margus Hunt

3. Ryan Swope

Hey PL,

It's a good question... what I can say is that I think Bailey is a better prospect leading up to the draft than Sanders was and has done it against a better level of comp (really gave LSU/Claiborne troubles in 2011 as well)... I also think he could be the better player in both the short (think he has the the potential to impact fairly quickly) and long term (both financially and production wise).

Given the choice, I'd take Bailey in Rd 2 vs. spending the Rd 3 on Sanders.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Bailey is a climber. I wouldn't be surprised if he climbed as high as the top of round 2 by draft day. He might even make it into round 1. If he was 6-6'2" he would go before Hopkins, maybe right behind Patterson. You can't argue with production, and bailey has it big time, even with Austin in that offense.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

he has us taking

1. Kawaan Short

2. Margus Hunt

3. Ryan Swope

Hey PL,

It's a good question... what I can say is that I think Bailey is a better prospect leading up to the draft than Sanders was and has done it against a better level of comp (really gave LSU/Claiborne troubles in 2011 as well)... I also think he could be the better player in both the short (think he has the the potential to impact fairly quickly) and long term (both financially and production wise).

Give the choice, I'd take Bailey in Rd 2 vs. spending the Rd 3 on Sanders.

That's a really tough one for me. Need to 1st know the size of the contract Sanders would require vs the size of contract Bailey would get, depending on where you ultimately drafted him. Also not knowing where exactly you could get Bailey "guaranteed".

If you "really" want Bailey you might have to take him in the 1st. There is no guarantee you would get him at the end of rnd 2. You would, however, be guaranteed to get Sanders at the end of rnd 3 and not have to sweat it out for even a moment.

The only other thing is that it is hard to compare the two at the time of coming out of college. Their production is so very similar. On the one hand you have Bailey playing against better competition than Sanders. While on the other hand Bailey also benefitted from not only one but TWO other 1st round draft picks playing with him. Sanders did not. How much was Baileys production aided by Geno Smith throwing him the ball AND Tavon Austin taking some of the attention and focus of defenses away from him?

It's certainly not an easy one to decide on.