***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to natesubs' comment:

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

.... A nice start would be a new secondary coach

That I think is the first thing they should do and they can't do it soon enough.

If all they're DBs are really this bad, getting on good DB may not make a difference, particularly with this kind of coaching. A good DBs coach could help everyone back there to achieve a step improvement. With the improvement on the front seven, even a small improvement that cuts across the entire secondary could be enough to set this D up for sustained success. Imagine if that coach made a big improvement.

I think it's a move that carries small risk but potentially big rewards. 

who would you go for? top 5 DB's coach list please?

Anyone with more NFL experience and has had some success fielding a respectful secondary at some point in the league. Lets face it, it is a passing league now and with multiple receiver sets, it's not uncommon to see 6-8 DB's see the field at some point over the course of the game.  You didn't see that 10 or 15 years ago. So I think 2 DB coaches at a minimum and atleast 1 with a decent resume. Bill Belichick can't do it all and I know he likes to teach and groom coaches but he is putting too much on his plate imo.

Josh Boyer:  Began his coaching career in 2000 as a graduate assistant at King's College, Pennsylvania, and then served in the same capacity at the University of Dayton in 2001 and Kent State University in 2002 and 2003. In 2004, Boyer served as the defensive backs coach at Bryant University. He then served as the defensive coordinator at the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology in 2005 before joining the Patriots in 2006 as a defensive coaching assistant. He was promoted to defensive backs coach following the 2008 season. In 2012, his title was changed to cornerbacks coach.

Brian Flores:   In 2004, Flores joined the Patriots as a scouting assistant. He then became a pro scout in 2006 before moving to the coaching staff as a special teams coaching assistant in 2008. His title was changed to assistant coach offense/special teams in 2010. He was named defensive assistant in 2011. In 2012, he was named safeties coach.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I would also like to see a new dcoordinator .Today was the first day I have seen the para send more than 4 guys often and look what it did to help the secondary...why did they wait so loNg? 

For the life of me I can't figure out why they chose Patricia over pepper Johnson..no idea. Or pit Boyer or Flores back as secondary coaches...no clue...bring back Romeo and make amends with man genius . As much as a db mangini is, he is a good seccondaey coach...

Btw,,McCourty is a better safety than Chung and Gregory. Ebner with some more time will be as well. Wilson too. The pats have to make a decision and either turn McCourty into a safety and let him QB the secondary or go out and spend some money on a legit starting safety and let McCourty focus on being a Cb. 

We are not draft rich this year....what do we have currently? 1 Fiest, second and third? 

And yes MB...Cobb is great. He would have been the perfect replacwent for Welker. I think vereen will be good, but Cobb certainly has more value at this point. 

Anyone else excited about the job Donald Thomas is doing at guard replacing mankins?  The line overall looked real good today.

Mb, 

Considering we only have 1 pick in each of the first 4 rounds, and assuming we pick late twenties to 32, what and who do you honestly see us with? I know a lot of talk about Werner, Rhodes, Milner, etc, but I don't see any of those kids dropping that fAr. I don't think we have much ammo to move up unless we package and trade. 

Do you think Irish chocolate makes it to where we pick in round 2? I like him playing inside for us...has he played at the end of the line on a 3 man line?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The requests for a DE to bookend Jones with seems a little insulting to Ninkovich, he is having quite the season.

Nink, Cunningham and probably Jones can all play OLB in a 3-4 of course, but the Pats would need TWO five tech DE's, and that is a tall order.

Meanwhile Love is best served as a VERY solid backup, resting Vince as he gets older and being a solid bend not break guy. A real fearsome DT who can pressure the QB is MUCH more important than a DE as long as we are staying with mostly a 4-3 front.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

The requests for a DE to bookend Jones with seems a little insulting to Ninkovich, he is having quite the season.

Nink, Cunningham and probably Jones can all play OLB in a 3-4 of course, but the Pats would need TWO five tech DE's, and that is a tall order.

Meanwhile Love is best served as a VERY solid backup, resting Vince as he gets older and being a solid bend not break guy. A real fearsome DT who can pressure the QB is MUCH more important than a DE as long as we are staying with mostly a 4-3 front.

talking of bookends, we have not even seen bequette yet. i believe he will pas nink when he's healthy.

i agree, we need the third guy inside to rotate with love an vw, and perhaps be vw's replacement in the future. 

yeah if Bequette can carve out some playing time then the Pats are ok with a foursome of him, Jones, Nink and Cunngingham at DE.

Brace, Love and Deaderick are all best served as backups. A dominating DT is badly needed.

That and a pro-bowl calibur established (not drafted) DB are what will make this defense a top 10 club. Lots of young improving players. Maybe get Devin's brother Jason McCourty or rob the Bills of Jairus Byrd.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Who ever gets Jadeveon Clowney in a couple of years is going to have one special player. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Well, looks like with dowling to ir once again, we are needy of a cb once again. Time to get serious and upgrade this secondary in a meaningful way. 

Dowlijg seems to be headed the way of Wheatley...out the door.that leaves McCourty, Dennard,Arrington, Moore, cole at cb. Of those 5, mccourty to meIcahn and maybe should our one of our starting safeties. Yes, he is our best corner, but I think with his skills, he is better playing safety for us next to Wilson. Chung I wouldn't resign and Gregory to me has been not what I had hoped for. Need, 1-2 safeties to back up McCourty and Wilson. 

On the the corners....dennard I can see as 1 of our starting corners. I like cole ahead of Moore and Arrington to play the slot. I don't see currently a corner on the roster to start opposite Dennard. This is where I think, especially with a young secondary. The pats need to pony up some cash and bring in a starting caliber FA corner. Joseph would have been my choice last year, but oh we'll. I say a starting caliber FA cb because we are young enough bacgp there and nwe'd experience. Also, with a guy you can leave on his own, McCourty could be used to help dennard along, Wilson could be used in the box more where like Chung, I think this is his strength .

As enticing it would be to move up for Milner, I want BB to spend some cash and bring on a cb. If weto free free up some cash, so be it..

We draft 1 safety, someone mid round or bring in a lower priced FA! Maybe keep gregory..Ebner stays as depth for now. Focus attention on grabbing pass rushing de opposite jones..I will go with MB's kid for now in werner...

I can't even decide right now what I would want in the secondary. I'm tired of them drafting guys in the first 2 rounds only to see them always injured (Dowling, Chung, Wheatley) or hitting that year 2 slump McCourty, Butler). I would say bring in a top CB via FA or trade but, I also fear if they throw 10 million at someone the same could happen and become wasted cap space. At this point if McCourty can't turn his head and cover better then safety is his new position. I always thought Chung was a decent player but he gets injured so much, you can't depend on him really. A nice start would be a new secondary coach

wel my friend, your conclusions (all three) are the same i came to and began posting last year.

That I think is the first thing they should do and they can't do it soon enough.

If all they're DBs are really this bad, getting on good DB may not make a difference, particularly with this kind of coaching. A good DBs coach could help everyone back there to achieve a step improvement. With the improvement on the front seven, even a small improvement that cuts across the entire secondary could be enough to set this D up for sustained success. Imagine if that coach made a big improvement.

seattle, since ive been on this board ive been saying this and being crucified for it (wiht no backers). im glad more and more are admitting this.

nice to see you around.

•  

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

At a minimum, I hope they bring in a new DB coach.  BB doesn't like when players make the same mistake over and over, so I'm not sure why he continues to employ the coach of a unit that makes the same mistakes over and over.

"  BB doesn't like when players make the same mistake over and over, so I'm not sure why he continues to employ the coach of a unit that makes the same mistakes over and over."

exactly! ive said that after almost every game since last year. i dont know mb if you read the other/ and my threads.

you forgot to add the mccourty exemption to that though :)

•  

I would also like to see a new dcoordinator .Today was the first day I have seen the para send more than 4 guys often and look what it did to help the secondary...why did they wait so loNg? 

For the life of me I can't figure out why they chose Patricia over pepper Johnson..no idea. Or pit Boyer or Flores back as secondary coaches...no clue...bring back Romeo and make amends with man genius . As much as a db mangini is, he is a good seccondaey coach...

Btw,,McCourty is a better safety than Chung and Gregory. Ebner with some more time will be as well. Wilson too. The pats have to make a decision and either turn McCourty into a safety and let him QB the secondary or go out and spend some money on a legit starting safety and let McCourty focus on being a Cb. 

We are not draft rich this year....what do we have currently? 1 Fiest, second and third? 

And yes MB...Cobb is great. He would have been the perfect replacwent for Welker. I think vereen will be good, but Cobb certainly has more value at this point. 

Anyone else excited about the job Donald Thomas is doing at guard replacing mankins?  The line overall looked real good today.

I would also like to see a new dcoordinator .

yes i agree. but bb is teh defacto, just runs d through his student.

Today was the first day I have seen the para send more than 4 guys often and look what it did to help the secondary...why did they wait so loNg? 

i know its only how long since weve been saying this

agree and all things i have been  asking

Btw,,McCourty is a better safety than Chung and Gregory.

were you with me on this since last year. i dont mention a lto of agreement.

Ebner with some more time will be as well.

i agree with you.

couple year he may be a player

Wilson too. The pats have to make a decision and either turn McCourty into a safety and let him QB the secondary or go out and spend some money on a legit starting safety and let McCourty focus on being a Cb.

that would suck. as i have said repeatedly. he needs to be a safety or a third tier cb.

bottom line eveen if he is on either unit, we are going to need a #1 cb and # safety 

id let him walk.

i think tomas stands out in run blocking.

out

yeah if Bequette can carve out some playing time then the Pats are ok with a foursome of him, Jones, Nink and Cunngingham at DE.

Brace, Love and Deaderick are all best served as backups. A dominating DT is badly needed.

That and a pro-bowl calibur established (not drafted) DB are what will make this defense a top 10 club. Lots of young improving players. Maybe get Devin's brother Jason McCourty or rob the Bills of Jairus Byrd.

hey rame how goes it?

jason just got paid. but agree on the f. a. cb need.

do see the stud dt need, but dont know if we have a stud left de that we need. against better blocking teams i dont know if we have a + rusher to compliment jones.

talking of bookends, we have not even seen bequette yet. i believe he will pas nink when he's healthy.

i agree, we need the third guy inside to rotate with love an vw, and perhaps be vw's replacement in the future. 

to put alongside vw and eventually replace i woudl say

"A real fearsome DT who can pressure the QB is MUCH more important than a DE "

if its haloti ngata, sure ill agree.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Mb, 

Considering we only have 1 pick in each of the first 4 rounds, and assuming we pick late twenties to 32, what and who do you honestly see us with? I know a lot of talk about Werner, Rhodes, Milner, etc, but I don't see any of those kids dropping that fAr. I don't think we have much ammo to move up unless we package and trade. 

Do you think Irish chocolate makes it to where we pick in round 2? I like him playing inside for us...has he played at the end of the line on a 3 man line?

Hey PL,

I had posted a bit about this last week, Dion Jordan (6-6 250 DE/OLB) is the kid that intrigues me the most towards the back end of Rd 1, however I'm also high on Bama DT Jesse Williams (6-3 320), Bama OL Barrett Jones (6-4 305) and FSU CB Xavier Rhodes (6-2 217).

IC would prob warrant day to consideration if he declared this year, yes... looks like a true 34 NT.  He's a RS Soph, so I'll be curious to see if he declares.

Watchlist updated 10/29!

I agree, DT depth is def a need, both short and long term... and Jesse Williams is at the top of my list of players that are currently projected to be around in the mid/late 20's.  I think Love is an underrated player, he's clearly and starting, NFL caliber DT, IMO... but adding another day 1/2 player to the rotation would certainly help.

It's also worth noting that URFA Justin Francis has been getting some burn at DE.

Don't get me wrong, Nink has been playing well, but playing opposite Chandler is def a contributing factor.  Would love to see another long/talented edge player opposite Chandler, which would really put opposing offenses in a bind.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

The only issue I have with Nink is that he's streaky. It takes him time to heat up but once he does he's an above average DE who's great against the run. However, when he's cold he disappears for games at a time. What I think most people want is a more consistent DE across from Jones.

Frankly I think we need another interior presence. Someone to replace both Love and Cunningham. If we can get that guy first I'd be more then happy

In response to bredbru's comment:

hey rame how goes it?

do see the stud dt need, but dont know if we have a stud left de that we need. against better blocking teams i dont know if we have a + rusher to compliment jones.

Hey man, doing good, pumped about the Pats and Celts chances this year.

So Jason McCourty is out of the picture huh, thats too bad, woulda been fun to have the brothers in the secondary and Devin at FS.

I don't really think we have the pass-rush opposite Jones either, but Nink is projected to have 8 sacks AND 8 FF to go with 50 or so tackles, clutch play guy as well. I'd much rather have Love forced into a backup role than Nink right now, especially with VW being 31 or so and a guy I'd like to see getting more rest.

How about we replace Chung with Byrd and Vollmer with Jake Long (Solder moves to RT) in free agency? That would make me pretty happy.

In response to bredbru's comment:

hey rame how goes it?

So Jason McCourty is out of the picture huh, thats too bad, woulda been fun to have the brothers in the secondary and Devin at FS.

I don't really think we have the pass-rush opposite Jones either, but Nink is projected to have 8 sacks AND 8 FF to go with 50 or so tackles, clutch play guy as well. I'd much rather have Love forced into a backup role than Nink right now, especially with VW being 31 or so and a guy I'd like to see getting more rest.

How about we replace Chung with Byrd and Vollmer with Jake Long (Solder moves to RT) in free agency? That would make me pretty happy.

i hear your points, and on the last one, nice to dream. when reality comes, we remember we have bb and it aint goann happen.

nink will disappear against better  and bigger blockers and that could cost in teh playoffs. that he can cleanup at times durign season helps us get there, but we wanna win when we get there right.

yeah I just want to see ONE offseason where we make free sgency splashes... ever since Adalius Bill has avoided them, but I mean c'mon now, it's been long enough, for every Bodden or Mark Anderson 1 and done hit there is dead money given to the Ocho, Fat Al, Fanene's of the world. sign and established star at an area of major weakness Bill!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

[/QUOTE]

I would let Vollmer and chung walk resign welker brace, fletcher, and endelman, and sign King Dunlap OT Philly, Jabari greer CB New orleans, and Aaron Curry OLB oakland. 

we would use mccourty as a safety

then draft:

2013 NFL draft

1st Round - Barrett Jones, T/G/C, Alabama or Bennie Logan, DT, LSU
    2nd Round - Margus Hunt, DE, SMU (2-3 round)
    3rd Round - Tyrann Mathieu*, CB/S, LSU will drop due to off field issues could be a steal
    4th Round - Braden Hansen, G, BYU (6-7) or Devin Taylor, DE, South Carolina
    7th Round - Ron Powell*, OLB, Florida  or Jake stoneburner, TE, OSU

That would give us a stud Guard to replace Waters (Hansen), a stud center to take connollys place and allow him to be in the rotation at guard (Jones) being that mankins is having health issues or a DT who could spell vince, a mammoth freak of nature 6'8" DE to play opposite of jones (Hunt)  and a troubled but potentially great DB in the honey badger. 

then sign the titans DB coach brett maxie to coach our secondary (assistant D coord. in title)I think this would go a long way to fixing our defense.

Mathieu, I'm kind of wishy washy about. I love his ability but his off the field stuff drives me nuts. I'd say I'd think about him in the same context as I did Jenkins. If he's there in the late 3rd I'll take a shot on the guy. Seems like a good spot to take a chance. But I wouldn't grab him any sooner

My new top choices in the draft (now remember these are players I think the Pats have a shot at not ranked within position or even position in the draft):

#1 Jonathan Jenkins DT/NT - He's been on my list for a long time and will remain here until he shots up to a top 15 pick. This kid is Wilfork of the college ranks. All he does is cause havok trying to block him and don't even bother trying to run it within arm reach of him. He's got great explosion and very strong at POA. The most amazing thing to me is his on-field speed. On game day I've seen him chase a RB down similar to Wilfork so don't let the 5.5's 40 fool you. This kid has the makings of an all-pro imo

#2 Matt Elam S - This kid is going to be shotting up draft boards very soon and he'd be stupid not to come out this year, after his performance so far. This kid looks like the real deal at FS. He's a heavy hitter that's stout in the running game as well as being able to blitz. The more impressive thing is he looks perfectly naturally dropping back into a deep zone into coverage and does an excellent job reading routes. He's a very Pats type of S, hard hitting, stout against the run, and can cover.

#3 Terrance Williams WR - Everyone thought his stats would be hurt without RGIII but this kid has only gotten better. It would not shock me at all if he ends up in a top 15 discussion or even as the #1 WR off the board. Then again he could also have 3 very talented WR's in front of him and could end up in the back of the 1st. It's tough to pin him to a place in the draft yet. All I know is this kid has great body control, good hands, and isn't afraid to work on any part of the field. He also is good after the catch but knows when to get down. The more impressive thing is his long stride. For a WR his size he's very graceful and can catch CB's flat footed for an easy pitch and catch downfield. The thing about Williams is he demands double coverage because he can work short, intermediate, long, inside the numbers, or outside the numbers. Sounds like a Pats, just get open, type of WR to me

#4 Kwame Geathers DT/NT - if not for being on the same team as Jenkins this kid would be an instant starter. He's want Brace should have been with good explosion (has a blocked kick) and some good power. Though not the penetrating power on Jenkins, Geathers holds the line well against the run. He'd be a solid option in the mid rounds if they don't go DT/NT early

#5 Daniel McCullers DT/NT - you can't teach size and this kid is 6'8" and a legit 360lbs. Imagine having that size in the middle trying to throw the ball. We wouldn't need to worry about covering a large portion of the box just because the QB wouldn't be able to see. The kid is raw but has a ton of potential. He could be a very good project pick if they decide both brace and Pryor have run their course

Sorry MB but had to remove Williams from my list. He's taken some pretty strong steps backwards this year and I'm wondering if his raw ability is starting to hit his ceiling now that he's a main focus on the DL

Guys, as much as I like some of this years de prospects, I think ourguys of the future at de is already on the roster...jake bequette. Let's not forget, this kid was highly productive in the sec, and also at he combine scored second in agiLity drills for all DL, second only to Bruce Irvin who is 30pounds lighter. Bequette I think will develop into a nice bookend to jones ...I am not sure why he isn't seeing more playing time, but maybe that changes next year if he can surpass nInk.

He has the physical attributes of a solid 4-3 de...6'5", 270lbs...almost identical to jones, and I like his length for this position over nink assuming he can develop . Some compared him to Jared Allen  coming out...thoughts on this kid as our future at de opposite jones?

• Sections
    Shortcuts