***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

so since the Pats currently have picks in less rounds then rounds they don't have picks I thought I'd make a list of favorite players we won't get (assuming the 3rd is gone for Sanders). Now I know there is no chance BB goes the entire draft with only a 1st, 2nd, and 2 7ths but this should be interesting:

Nick Kasa TE - an all around TE with a great combination of size, speed, and athletism. He's one of the biggest TE in the draft at 6'6" 275lbs but he's also one of the fastest 4.7. He's a good blocker how wasn't used often as a pass catcher but has a ton of upside. 3rd-5th range

Chris Gragg TE - a smaller TE at 6'3" 245 he is also one of the fastest at 4.5 flat. He's got good hands and is one of the more polished route running TE's in the draft. Not a great blocker but a perfect H-Back mold 6-UDFA rangs

Marquess Wilson WR - a bigger 6'3" 195lb WR with some good speed 4.5 and explosiveness. He can create his own separation or box out CB's. Good hands and is an above average blocker who can beat press coverage off the line. The off-field issues are a big concern as is if he can take to coaching but this kid has very high talent level. 3rd-UDFA range

Brandon Kaufman WR - huge is such a small word for the 6'5" 215lb WR. Kaufman isn't going to blow you away with speed but he is a well polished route runner who somehow manages to gain separation. He can out jump, out fight, and completely box out even taller LB's on the field. In the red zone trying to press him at the line is a recipe for failure as he'll just toss you to the ground. He was a favorite of mine but his stock has slipped and I started looking at other options earlier. However, this kid is going to be something special in the red zone for whoever gets him. He was one of the most productive WRs in the college game last year which is amazing considering he's got the speed of a TE and less athletic but he just gets open, makes catches, and fights for every yard. I'd love to see him on the Pats. 5th-7th range

Jeff Tuel QB - he has good triangle numbers and all the intangibles you could want out of a QB. If not for an injury riddled 11' season which forced Washington to plan for his departure and platoon him he'd easily be considered a early day 2 pick. He's very smart with the ball and has a very high completion %. Very confortable moving around the pocket but has the speed to flush outside and take off. Could be a great Mallett replacement if they trade Mallet. 6th-UDFA range

Kwame Geathers DT - big and more big the 6'5" 350lb NT would have started on most teams that didn't have a player of J Jenkins caliber he is vastly underrated. He has high potential and can be disruptive behind the line when given consistent playing time. Not the fastest guy but plugs the gaps extremely well against the run and can handle double teams while tracking a runner. Could be an interesting prospect if the Pats are looknig for mid round DL depth. 3rd-5th range

William Gholston DE - some are immediately going to associate the name Gholston to bust, and like his former counter part Gholston is a freak athlete who can't utilize this ability to get to the passer. However, this incarnation is extremely good on the edge stopping runners. A very smart player who can sniff out screens and provided the runner is within his long arm reach gives up nothing. If you are within grabbing distance against Gholston you are getting drag down for minimal gain. 3rd-5th range

Quanterus Smith DE - If not for an ACL tear we'd all be raving about this kid. 12.5 sacks including 3 going against Fluker. His sacks came in bunches but still was disruptive when not hitting the QB. If he brings some consistency to his game he'll be a very dangerous situational rusher. 4th-7th range 

Tyrann Mathieu CB - the honey badger was a tremendous talent without the size. Still he played well above his size and just made plays. Sometimes the traingle numbers don't tell you everything and that's the case with Mathieu. Some say because of lack of size he's slot only but with the right match up I think he can play inside or out. The Pats have talked to him twice now so they might feel the same. 3rd-6th range

Micah Hyde CB/S - Hyde is a very good all around player who's fundamentally sound. Not the fastest guy will limit what positions he can play. It might serve him well to add 10-15lbs and become a FS/SS combo type player as his tackling tech is sound and he can cover slower receviers well. 4th-7th range

Cooper Taylor SS - a 6'5" 235 SS? Yep, now this kid could be a SS/LB combo who has impressive coverage skills for a kid his size and can hit heavy and often. With Wilson in the mix it would be interesting to have him train Cooper and see what he can get out of the kid. You can't teach size but fundamentally Taylor has a lot going for him too. 5th-7th range

Jamie Collins LB - a name I'm starting to fall in love with. He's good in all aspects whether it's dropping back in coverage, pluggin gaps against the run, or gettings to the QB. He's not elite but nether was Bruschi and I see Collins in a similar mold. having a Collins on your team as a 4th LB opens up a lot of possibilities that previously weren't there. Would be interesting to see what BB could do with this utility knife of LBs. 3rd-4th range

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Any of you guys like Michael Williams as a 7th round or UDFA option at TE? I love this kids blocking ability but he needs to work on receiving skills. Played at Alabama under Saban.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzyDizzyIzzy. Show BuzyDizzyIzzy's posts

This is honestly going to be a rather weak draft all together. Anytime you hear of a "depth" draft where there are no real potential superstars, but plenty of "plus" potential drafts and specific positions ='s a draft that I am glad the patriots don't have many picks in. THey don't need many picks either. 4-5 picks, pick the best available athlete at the spot if there is an athlete with the first 2 picks and / or trade out for picks next year's draft which will have ALOT more talent and where the Patriots will have alot more picks.

Its funny, but the Patriots dumped off alot of picks for players the last year or 2 due to this draft class being weak. There is a reason why the Patriots don't have many picks this year. Not much worthwhile, and very few holes to fill now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:

Any of you guys like Michael Williams as a 7th round or UDFA option at TE? I love this kids blocking ability but he needs to work on receiving skills. Played at Alabama under Saban.

Good kid but with Hoom and Fells not sure what the kid can give. Imo Hoom and Fells are pretty decent blockers in their own right in addition Ballard is also a top end blocker too. Unless you are thinking that with a 6'6" frame he could bump up to 290ish lb and be stash on PS to convert to a T later

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to Homecheese's comment:

Good kid but with Hoom and Fells not sure what the kid can give. Imo Hoom and Fells are pretty decent blockers in their own right in addition Ballard is also a top end blocker too. Unless you are thinking that with a 6'6" frame he could bump up to 290ish lb and be stash on PS to convert to a T later

Thats a good point. We have some good blockers at TE. Though I'm dissapointed with Fells as a reciever, he is a good blocker.

You make another good point that maybe he can be another Maneri project and start on the PS. I think he's weighing in around 280 right now

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to BuzyDizzyIzzy's comment:

This is honestly going to be a rather weak draft all together. Anytime you hear of a "depth" draft where there are no real potential superstars, but plenty of "plus" potential drafts and specific positions ='s a draft that I am glad the patriots don't have many picks in. THey don't need many picks either. 4-5 picks, pick the best available athlete at the spot if there is an athlete with the first 2 picks and / or trade out for picks next year's draft which will have ALOT more talent and where the Patriots will have alot more picks.

Its funny, but the Patriots dumped off alot of picks for players the last year or 2 due to this draft class being weak. There is a reason why the Patriots don't have many picks this year. Not much worthwhile, and very few holes to fill now.

I agree 100%. Since we have been studying these kids for months and now that the draft is nearing, it is easy to get locked in on how good certain players will be.  If you look at the big picture, however, I doubt that there will be many true difference makers in this class.  There is always a few diamonds in the rough though, and good role players are important to any team, so I still hope we acquire a few more picks...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzyDizzyIzzy. Show BuzyDizzyIzzy's posts

Yep, IMO there are only a handful of players worth drafting in the 1st or second round for the Patriots. Couple of recievers, couple of DT's and a few CB's. And by few I mean 2-3 tops. IMO if they don't get who they really want, they should trade out of this years draft for next year. This draft is going to S U C K............I will not be watching the draft this year. No real worthwhile talent to look forward to like last year.

I honestly cannot believe how many moronic posts Ive scanned through in this thread........too many armchair QB's who honestly do NOT know talent, and just go by the words of what they read from the sportswriters..........anyone really watch any college bowl games and notice how there was a lack of players that stood out?

I think the only impressive plays I watched involved Alabama's Offensive line and Johnny QB............

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I'll still be watching. Always good entertainment. There will still be good players to be had. From an overall talent standpoint this year is just down, IMO.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

from an upper talent level yes it's down but from a 2nd tier talent this is a very deep draft. You are seeing guys with 2nd to early 3rd grade rankings go well into the 4th round so there's a lot of talent to be had in day 2 early day 3 range. There are going to be a lot of solid starting caliber guys come out of this draft in the 2nd- early 5th round range which is unusual but if you are talking pro-bowlers or top 15 talent I'm not seeing a bunch. Maybe a 5-10 guys with that upper end talent which makes the 10-40 range fairly thin for upper end talent

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzyDizzyIzzy. Show BuzyDizzyIzzy's posts

from an upper talent level yes it's down but from a 2nd tier talent this is a very deep draft. You are seeing guys with 2nd to early 3rd grade rankings go well into the 4th round so there's a lot of talent to be had in day 2 early day 3 range. There are going to be a lot of solid starting caliber guys come out of this draft in the 2nd- early 5th round range which is unusual but if you are talking pro-bowlers or top 15 talent I'm not seeing a bunch. Maybe a 5-10 guys with that upper end talent which makes the 10-40 range fairly thin for upper end talent

This is NOT a deep draft at all. You need to bypass the media/NFL hype........the talent overall is lacking, alot of the players that are going to be drafted in the first couple rounds would have been at best mid level picks last year.......lets get real here.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

This is NOT a deep draft at all. You need to bypass the media/NFL hype........the talent overall is lacking, alot of the players that are going to be drafted in the first couple rounds would have been at best mid level picks last year.......lets get real here.

I don't pay attention to media/nfl hype. most guys on this thread give their opinions based on watching actual college games and from what I can see it's fairly deep in that second tier talent range, so that is real. MB's been doing this thread for going on 4 years now and most of the regular posters on this thread are very good at evaluating the depth of the draft and positional depth. But then again maybe you have a good reason to make a definite statement. Please enlightain us with analysis why you feel like such. Point out stuff we all missed that says your statement is just

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Yeah, this is a better way to say it.  Not many (if any) super stars this year, but plenty of solid players overall.  Top-end talent is definitally lacking, but I think that a lot of the guys we talk about will be evental starters and will be important pieces of a roster.  2nd/3rd round is the place to be this year, IMO.  I would love to trade back from 29 into 2nd round, but I just think that most other teams will be thinking the same thing so it will be tough to find a partner.  We'll see.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

The teams have 53 players.  Whoever has the best 53 usually wins.  This is a draft to improve depth with some impact positions.  Next year should have more impact players.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I don't know media/NFL hype you're referring to, but I (like most on here) prefer to watch tape/do my own research on players to build an opinion vs. simply reading what others write.  Overall, this class looks to have solid depth at positions that NE could stand to improve on both next year and in the long term (CB, WR & S).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

so since the Pats currently have picks in less rounds then rounds they don't have picks I thought I'd make a list of favorite players we won't get (assuming the 3rd is gone for Sanders). Now I know there is no chance BB goes the entire draft with only a 1st, 2nd, and 2 7ths but this should be interesting:

Nick Kasa TE - an all around TE with a great combination of size, speed, and athletism. He's one of the biggest TE in the draft at 6'6" 275lbs but he's also one of the fastest 4.7. He's a good blocker how wasn't used often as a pass catcher but has a ton of upside. 3rd-5th range

Chris Gragg TE - a smaller TE at 6'3" 245 he is also one of the fastest at 4.5 flat. He's got good hands and is one of the more polished route running TE's in the draft. Not a great blocker but a perfect H-Back mold 6-UDFA rangs

Marquess Wilson WR - a bigger 6'3" 195lb WR with some good speed 4.5 and explosiveness. He can create his own separation or box out CB's. Good hands and is an above average blocker who can beat press coverage off the line. The off-field issues are a big concern as is if he can take to coaching but this kid has very high talent level. 3rd-UDFA range

Brandon Kaufman WR - huge is such a small word for the 6'5" 215lb WR. Kaufman isn't going to blow you away with speed but he is a well polished route runner who somehow manages to gain separation. He can out jump, out fight, and completely box out even taller LB's on the field. In the red zone trying to press him at the line is a recipe for failure as he'll just toss you to the ground. He was a favorite of mine but his stock has slipped and I started looking at other options earlier. However, this kid is going to be something special in the red zone for whoever gets him. He was one of the most productive WRs in the college game last year which is amazing considering he's got the speed of a TE and less athletic but he just gets open, makes catches, and fights for every yard. I'd love to see him on the Pats. 5th-7th range

Jeff Tuel QB - he has good triangle numbers and all the intangibles you could want out of a QB. If not for an injury riddled 11' season which forced Washington to plan for his departure and platoon him he'd easily be considered a early day 2 pick. He's very smart with the ball and has a very high completion %. Very confortable moving around the pocket but has the speed to flush outside and take off. Could be a great Mallett replacement if they trade Mallet. 6th-UDFA range

Kwame Geathers DT - big and more big the 6'5" 350lb NT would have started on most teams that didn't have a player of J Jenkins caliber he is vastly underrated. He has high potential and can be disruptive behind the line when given consistent playing time. Not the fastest guy but plugs the gaps extremely well against the run and can handle double teams while tracking a runner. Could be an interesting prospect if the Pats are looknig for mid round DL depth. 3rd-5th range

William Gholston DE - some are immediately going to associate the name Gholston to bust, and like his former counter part Gholston is a freak athlete who can't utilize this ability to get to the passer. However, this incarnation is extremely good on the edge stopping runners. A very smart player who can sniff out screens and provided the runner is within his long arm reach gives up nothing. If you are within grabbing distance against Gholston you are getting drag down for minimal gain. 3rd-5th range

Quanterus Smith DE - If not for an ACL tear we'd all be raving about this kid. 12.5 sacks including 3 going against Fluker. His sacks came in bunches but still was disruptive when not hitting the QB. If he brings some consistency to his game he'll be a very dangerous situational rusher. 4th-7th range 

Tyrann Mathieu CB - the honey badger was a tremendous talent without the size. Still he played well above his size and just made plays. Sometimes the traingle numbers don't tell you everything and that's the case with Mathieu. Some say because of lack of size he's slot only but with the right match up I think he can play inside or out. The Pats have talked to him twice now so they might feel the same. 3rd-6th range

Micah Hyde CB/S - Hyde is a very good all around player who's fundamentally sound. Not the fastest guy will limit what positions he can play. It might serve him well to add 10-15lbs and become a FS/SS combo type player as his tackling tech is sound and he can cover slower receviers well. 4th-7th range

Cooper Taylor SS - a 6'5" 235 SS? Yep, now this kid could be a SS/LB combo who has impressive coverage skills for a kid his size and can hit heavy and often. With Wilson in the mix it would be interesting to have him train Cooper and see what he can get out of the kid. You can't teach size but fundamentally Taylor has a lot going for him too. 5th-7th range

Jamie Collins LB - a name I'm starting to fall in love with. He's good in all aspects whether it's dropping back in coverage, pluggin gaps against the run, or gettings to the QB. He's not elite but nether was Bruschi and I see Collins in a similar mold. having a Collins on your team as a 4th LB opens up a lot of possibilities that previously weren't there. Would be interesting to see what BB could do with this utility knife of LBs. 3rd-4th range

Very good list. I love Tuel as a developmental QB, and Gholston is a pretty good player who has really flown under the radar.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Frankly, I never simplistically assess a draft class as being good or bad, for three reasons.

1) Rarely is a class bad across the board. It is more important to recognize positions where the class has an abundance of starting potential talent. More often than not, abundance also does not apply to all positions in a class.

2) To me, the difference between what most people perceive to be "top end" talent vs "2nd tier" ultimately boils down to the perceived amount of splash plays they made in college and how that projects tot eh NFL in the NFL, not necessarily from an overall potential NFL productivity perspective. The more important question to ask is whether the talent level is likely to bump a lot of incumbent starters.

3) Where the Pats normally drafts a kid, depth is more relevant than top end talent. Since 2002, when did the Pats get a chance to pick a top end talent where they were picking?

PE said it right... It is a good draft for WRs and CB.

You can draft in the third or fourth round receivers who are comparable to some who were drafted in the second round in previous drafts. 

It is a better than decent draft I think for DTs, particularly if you're team plays 34 D (despite opposing opinion). Seldom will you see a NT with Jenkins' combination of size and talent rated as the #8 DT in a draft. IMO he is a much better prospect than Dontari Poe, who was picked 11th overall. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Yep, IMO there are only a handful of players worth drafting in the 1st or second round for the Patriots. Couple of recievers, couple of DT's and a few CB's. And by few I mean 2-3 tops. IMO if they don't get who they really want, they should trade out of this years draft for next year. This draft is going to S U C K............I will not be watching the draft this year. No real worthwhile talent to look forward to like last year.

I honestly cannot believe how many moronic posts Ive scanned through in this thread........too many armchair QB's who honestly do NOT know talent, and just go by the words of what they read from the sportswriters..........anyone really watch any college bowl games and notice how there was a lack of players that stood out?

I think the only impressive plays I watched involved Alabama's Offensive line and Johnny QB............

Since almost all of the posters in this thread are too classy to speak up, I will.

Now that we know you believe us all to be Morons why don't YOU enlighten us to exactly "WHICH" specific 2-3 players at WR, CB, & DT are actually talented.

We will all assume you will list the couple blue chip players that are available at each position, which is the case, every year, and will not leave us impressed. Probably guys that will not even be available and still on the board when the Patriots pick.

If you want to impress us then specifically identify the player who will be selected "after" the 3rd round who will ultimately end up being one of the best dozen players from this draft class. That happens pretty much every year and should be no problem for you compared to us morons.

We all see different things and have different preferences for players but everyone at one point or another pounds the table about a player they believe in. Please don't come in this friendly thread with no specifics and start speaking in complete ambiguity while calling the rest of us morons.

Thank you.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Since almost all of the posters in this thread are too classy to speak up, I will.

Now that we know you believe us all to be Morons why don't YOU enlighten us to exactly "WHICH" specific 2-3 players at WR, CB, & DT are actually talented.

We will all assume you will list the couple blue chip players that are available at each position, which is the case, every year, and will not leave us impressed. Probably guys that will not even be available and still on the board when the Patriots pick.

If you want to impress us then specifically identify the player who will be selected "after" the 3rd round who will ultimately end up being one of the best dozen players from this draft class. That happens pretty much every year and should be no problem for you compared to us morons.

We all see different things and have different preferences for players but everyone at one point or another pounds the table about a player they believe in. Please don't come in this friendly thread with no specifics and start speaking in complete ambiguity while calling the rest of us morons.

Thank you.

Just to add on what Low said so eloquently, I believe there is a misconception that someone has to win; that someone has to be right. All I see when that happens is insecurity.  Nobody and mean nobody knows what NE will do.  If people think there is no talent in the draft great, but it is opinion. BDIzzy has an opinion, but so does every other person on this board and no one is a moron.  They just have different perspectives.  Actually, it becomes boring when people start down this negative road.  The other threads blow up almost instantly, but not this one.  Hope we can express our ideas respectfullyand keep it going on the positive.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013/04/2013-nfl-draft-belichick-poking-around-illinois.html

Who might he be targeting?

The top name on our board at Illinois is “bandit” linebacker / defensive end Michael Buchanan. He had some incredible tape in 2011, most notably against Northwestern. His play seemed to suffer a bit in 2012 under the new coaching regime, but he still has the athletic skills to make an impact on the edge.

Here is our full scouting report on Buchanan from early this year. I currently see him as a 2nd-4th round pick.

Defensive tackle Akeem Spence is another player that the Patriots might be looking at this April. Due to his height (6’1″), Spence doesn’t really project as a 5-technique defensive end for the Patriots, and would be limited to the inside. He excels at shooting gaps from the 1 and 3-techniques and makes a lot of tackles in the run game. His 3.5 career sacks aren’t anything to write home about, however.

With Armond Armstead and Tommy Kelly already filling a similar role, I’m not sure Spence would offer the Patriots much in his first year – especially as a 3rd-5th round pick.

Lastly, cornerback Terry Hawthorne, center Graham Pocic and guard Hugh Thornton are all late round options that the Patriots could be interested in. The Patriots have surprised us with picks from Illinois before – Tavon Wilson and Eugene Wilson come to mind – so it is best not to sleep on any of these prospects.

Out of the three, Hawthorne has the most upside as an NFL player. He came in to 2012 as a highly touted prospect, but his injury plagued season did little to help his draft stock. He has some size (6’0″ / 195) and speed (4.44), but his technique and injury issues should be a major red flag for the Patriots.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

2013 Patriots Draft Contacts

The Patriots have had pre-draft contact with the following 2013 NFL Draft Prospects.

PW – Private Workout
    OV – Official Visit
    CI – Combine Interview
    U – Unconfirmed Contact (Interview, Workout, Etc…)

Quarterbacks
    Jeff Tuel, QB, Washington State (PW)
    Dayne Crist, QB, Kansas (PW)

Running Backs
    Miguel Maysonet, RB, Stony Brook (PW)
    Knile Davis, RB, Arkansas (PW)
    Derrick Washington, RB, Tuskegee (PW)
    Andre Ellington, RB, Clemson (PW)
    Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina (OV, CI)
    Robbie Rouse, RB, Fresno State (U)

Wide Receivers
    Kenny Stills, WR, Oklahoma (OV)
    Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State (OV)
    Robert Woods, WR, USC (OV, CI)
    Deandre Hopkins, WR, Clemson (PW, CI)
    Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia (PW)
    Marquess Wilson, WR, Washington State (PW)
    Stedman Bailey, WR, West Virginia (PW)
    Courtney Gardner, WR, Sierra (PW)
    Russell Shepard, WR, LSU (PW)
    Keenan Davis, WR, Iowa (PW)
    Charles Johnson, WR, Grand Valley State (PW)
    Reshad Ross, WR, Arizona State (PW)
    Anthony Amos, Middle Tennessee State (PW)
    Tyrone Goard, WR, Eastern Kentucky (PW)
    Quinton Patton, WR, La Tech (CI)
    Cordarelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee (CI)

Tight Ends
    Travis Tannahill, TE, Kansas State (PW)
    Hubie Graham, TE, Pitt (PW)
    Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati (CI)

Offensive Line
    Chris Faulk, OT, LSU (OV)
    Dallas Thomas, OL, Tennessee (OV)
    DJ Fluker, OT, Alabama (OV)
    Ryan Jensen, OT, Colorado State-Pueblo (PW)
    Patrick Lewis, OC, Texas A&M (PW)
    Matt Tobin, OG, Iowa (PW)
    Mark Popek, OT, South Florida (PW)
    Luke Marquardt, OT, Asuza-Pacific (PW)
    David Bahktiari, OT, Colorado (CI)
    Ricky Wagner, OT, Wisconsin (CI)
    Justin Pugh, OT, Syracuse (CI)

Defensive Line
    Tank Carradine, DE, Florida State (OV)
    David Bass, DE, Missouri Western (PW)
    Jared SMith, DL, UNH (PW)
    Michael Brooks, DT, East Carolina (PW)
    Earl Okine, DE, Florida (PW)
    Toben Opurum, DE, Kansas (PW)
    Lerentee McCray, DE, Florida (PW)
    Corey Lemonier, DE, Auburn (CI)

Linebackers
    Kiko Alonso, LB, Oregon (OV)
    Dion Jordan, LB, Oregon (OV)
    Sam Barrington, LB, South Florida (PW)
    Sean Porter, LB, Texas A&M (PW)
    Zaviar Gooden, LB, Missouri (PW)
    Jon Bostic, LB, Florida (PW)
    Jelani Jenkins, LB, Florida (PW)

Defensive Backs
    Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU (CI, OV)
    Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington (OV)
    Duke Williams, CB/S, Nevada (PW)
    Alonzo Tweedy, S, Virginia Tech (PW)
    Marc Anthony, CB, California (PW)
    Sanders Commings, CB, Georgia (PW)
    Reggie Topps, CB/S, Utah (PW)
    Kayvon Webster, CB, South Florida (PW)
    Don Jones, S, Arkansas State (PW)
    Jordan Kovacs, S, Michigan (PW)
    Bradley McDougald, S, Kansas (PW)
    Josh Evans, S, Florida (PW)
    Phillip Thomas, S, Fresno State (PW)

Specialists
    Sean Sellwood, P, Utah (PW)
    Brandon McManus, K/P, Temple (PW)

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013-patriots-draft-contacts

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

The Patriots have had pre-draft contact with the following 2013 NFL Draft Prospects.

PW – Private Workout
    OV – Official Visit
    CI – Combine Interview
    U – Unconfirmed Contact (Interview, Workout, Etc…)

Quarterbacks
    Jeff Tuel, QB, Washington State (PW)
    Dayne Crist, QB, Kansas (PW)

Running Backs
    Miguel Maysonet, RB, Stony Brook (PW)
    Knile Davis, RB, Arkansas (PW)
    Derrick Washington, RB, Tuskegee (PW)
    Andre Ellington, RB, Clemson (PW)
    Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina (OV, CI)
    Robbie Rouse, RB, Fresno State (U)

Wide Receivers
    Kenny Stills, WR, Oklahoma (OV)
    Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State (OV)
    Robert Woods, WR, USC (OV, CI)
    Deandre Hopkins, WR, Clemson (PW, CI)
    Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia (PW)
    Marquess Wilson, WR, Washington State (PW)
    Stedman Bailey, WR, West Virginia (PW)
    Courtney Gardner, WR, Sierra (PW)
    Russell Shepard, WR, LSU (PW)
    Keenan Davis, WR, Iowa (PW)
    Charles Johnson, WR, Grand Valley State (PW)
    Reshad Ross, WR, Arizona State (PW)
    Anthony Amos, Middle Tennessee State (PW)
    Tyrone Goard, WR, Eastern Kentucky (PW)
    Quinton Patton, WR, La Tech (CI)
    Cordarelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee (CI)

Tight Ends
    Travis Tannahill, TE, Kansas State (PW)
    Hubie Graham, TE, Pitt (PW)
    Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati (CI)

Offensive Line
    Chris Faulk, OT, LSU (OV)
    Dallas Thomas, OL, Tennessee (OV)
    DJ Fluker, OT, Alabama (OV)
    Ryan Jensen, OT, Colorado State-Pueblo (PW)
    Patrick Lewis, OC, Texas A&M (PW)
    Matt Tobin, OG, Iowa (PW)
    Mark Popek, OT, South Florida (PW)
    Luke Marquardt, OT, Asuza-Pacific (PW)
    David Bahktiari, OT, Colorado (CI)
    Ricky Wagner, OT, Wisconsin (CI)
    Justin Pugh, OT, Syracuse (CI)

Defensive Line
    Tank Carradine, DE, Florida State (OV)
    David Bass, DE, Missouri Western (PW)
    Jared SMith, DL, UNH (PW)
    Michael Brooks, DT, East Carolina (PW)
    Earl Okine, DE, Florida (PW)
    Toben Opurum, DE, Kansas (PW)
    Lerentee McCray, DE, Florida (PW)
    Corey Lemonier, DE, Auburn (CI)

Linebackers
    Kiko Alonso, LB, Oregon (OV)
    Dion Jordan, LB, Oregon (OV)
    Sam Barrington, LB, South Florida (PW)
    Sean Porter, LB, Texas A&M (PW)
    Zaviar Gooden, LB, Missouri (PW)
    Jon Bostic, LB, Florida (PW)
    Jelani Jenkins, LB, Florida (PW)

Defensive Backs
    Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU (CI, OV)
    Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington (OV)
    Duke Williams, CB/S, Nevada (PW)
    Alonzo Tweedy, S, Virginia Tech (PW)
    Marc Anthony, CB, California (PW)
    Sanders Commings, CB, Georgia (PW)
    Reggie Topps, CB/S, Utah (PW)
    Kayvon Webster, CB, South Florida (PW)
    Don Jones, S, Arkansas State (PW)
    Jordan Kovacs, S, Michigan (PW)
    Bradley McDougald, S, Kansas (PW)
    Josh Evans, S, Florida (PW)
    Phillip Thomas, S, Fresno State (PW)

Specialists
    Sean Sellwood, P, Utah (PW)
    Brandon McManus, K/P, Temple (PW)

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013-patriots-draft-contacts

no rogers eh? 

not sure, but im wondering if i saw him on a list at some point (contact wtih pats).

whats our % rate signing players we have no contact with over the bb era jj?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

register me as disagree. the pts draft will be impactful if they draft 2 (or 3 if sanders is reeled back)very  impactful players. draft wrong and it may cost a sb, draft right and it makes a sb much more likely. (pass rusher is the top need. no pass rush [status quo], no sb) i'm referring to pass rsuh against stronger o lines ie playoffs not stats during year against weaker teams. for example, baltimore dominated o and d line (as well as secondary, and wr)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

I don't know media/NFL hype you're referring to, but I (like most on here) prefer to watch tape/do my own research on players to build an opinion vs. simply reading what others write.  Overall, this class looks to have solid depth at positions that NE could stand to improve on both next year and in the long term (CB, WR & S).

and de (from my point of view)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Frankly, I never simplistically assess a draft class as being good or bad, for three reasons.

1) Rarely is a class bad across the board. It is more important to recognize positions where the class has an abundance of starting potential talent. More often than not, abundance also does not apply to all positions in a class.

2) To me, the difference between what most people perceive to be "top end" talent vs "2nd tier" ultimately boils down to the perceived amount of splash plays they made in college and how that projects tot eh NFL in the NFL, not necessarily from an overall potential NFL productivity perspective. The more important question to ask is whether the talent level is likely to bump a lot of incumbent starters.

3) Where the Pats normally drafts a kid, depth is more relevant than top end talent. Since 2002, when did the Pats get a chance to pick a top end talent where they were picking?

PE said it right... It is a good draft for WRs and CB.

You can draft in the third or fourth round receivers who are comparable to some who were drafted in the second round in previous drafts. 

It is a better than decent draft I think for DTs, particularly if you're team plays 34 D (despite opposing opinion). Seldom will you see a NT with Jenkins' combination of size and talent rated as the #8 DT in a draft. IMO he is a much better prospect than Dontari Poe, who was picked 11th overall. 

excellent post.

agreed.

"The more important question to ask is whether the talent level is likely to bump a lot of incumbent starters."

exactly, and fro my money, can it bump pats incumbants. and teh answeer with the right picks is yes.

and make us more sb reeady.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

no rogers eh? 

not sure, but im wondering if i saw him on a list at some point (contact wtih pats).

whats our % rate signing players we have no contact with over the bb era jj?

Don't know, but if they want Rodgers and he is in the right value spot they will draft him.

Sections
Shortcuts