***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to dwhite1220's comment:

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

RB certainly doesn't appear to be a Day 1 or 2 need and unless they do some manuevering, they won't be able to target one until Rd 7... that we all know... with that said, there's a kid that can prob be had in Rd 7 or maybe as an URFA that intrigues me.

Check out FSU's Chris Thompson (5-7+ 188).  Kid is very sudden, has excellent speed to the perimeter and plays a lot tougher than his size would indicate... really runs the ball hard and with good balance/power which is probassisted by his low center of gravity... he def has some Danny Woodhead to his game.

He also look to have some upside as a receiver out of the backfield racking up (21) receptions (including 8 vs. Clemson) in his first (8) games before injury his knee, which knocked him out for the rest of the season.

This is comming from left field but what if BB/Pats took runningback,Eddie Lacy with their first pick ? Yes, it's not a need but Lacy would sure up a lot of holes.New wr corp,no Gronk,protect a older Brady, etc. BB loves value and Lacy in other years would have been a top 10 pick. I don't think it's such a far fetched idea the more I think about it. What do you think?

I love Eddie Lacy... very good size, powerful kid with good feet, his trademark spin move and excellent balance... kid is a load to bring down when he hits the 2nd and 3rd levels but I don't see him as a Top 10 talent in really any class.

Nothing BB does really shocks me, though I'd be surprised if they snagged a RB in Rd 1.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Has anyone talked about Zaviar Gooden here? Kid has great combine numers, very athletic. Could be a nice pick here to play 3rd downs his rookie year. Has the frame to add more weight(235)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

If the Patriots end up with Sanders for their 3rd round pick I am wondering what is everyones list of WR's that will have to be off the board by pick #91 for them to like the move?

I am assuming the following would be on everyones list to start with.

Hopkins

Bailey

Rogers

Patton

Wheaton

Woods

Hunter

Who else? Anyone?

I think Sanders is better than a lot of these guys, certainly he is more proven.  However, I don't like the idea of giving up a 3rd round pick to get a guy on a one year deal.  To me we should have signed him for 3 years if we thought that highly of him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:

Has anyone talked about Zaviar Gooden here? Kid has great combine numers, very athletic. Could be a nice pick here to play 3rd downs his rookie year. Has the frame to add more weight(235)

Yes, about 1000 posts ago (Kidding)

Was a Safety in HS.  Converted to LB.  Has great instincts and athleticism. Good COD, coverage skills;however, he is tweener for sure.

03/25/13 - 2013 Missouri Pro Day: Zaviar Gooden, OLB (6-foot-1 3/4, 224 pounds) - Gooden had a 38 1/2-inch vertical jump (4 1/2 inches better than his NFL Scouting Combine number). He then stood by the rest of his numbers from the combine (he was a top performer in his position group at the combine in every workout but the vertical). Gooden is a good athlete with speed. This is a good linebacker prospect. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

03/08/13 - 2013 Missouri Pro Day: As for Gooden, he was so good at the Combine, he probably could’ve done nothing more than play meet-and-greet with the NFL team representative on hand Thursday. His sizzling 40 time of 4.47 in Indy was tops among linebackers. In fact, in every timed drill at the Combine, Gooden was fastest among the linebackers. But he wasn’t happy with his vertical jump in Indianapolis, so he gave that another try at Mizzou, with great results. “I increased my vertical from the Combine by 4½ inches _ that was pretty good,” Gooden said.

His leap of 38½ inches drew a grasp from spectators at the Mizzou indoor facility, prompting someone to ask Gooden if he’s in the wrong sport. Maybe he should be pursuing a basketball career. “No, I gave that up a long time ago,” Gooden said, laughing.

Bowden from the Rams’ coaching staff ran the linebacker drills for Gooden, drills which emphasized pass drops, moving in space, as well as some tight bag work. By now, every personnel department in the NFL knows how fast Gooden runs when it comes to straightline speed, but how are his instincts? What about his change of direction? “I had fun doing the drills,” Gooden said. “I felt like I looked fluid in them.”

Before Thursday, Gooden said he met with Rams officials at the Combine and the Senior Bowl. “So I developed a relationship with them,” Gooden said. Gooden said he already has workouts scheduled with Carolina, Chicago, and New England; Richardson said Cleveland is coming to Columbia next week to work him out. - Jim Thomas, St. Louis Post-Dispatch

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

If the Patriots end up with Sanders for their 3rd round pick I am wondering what is everyones list of WR's that will have to be off the board by pick #91 for them to like the move?

Hopkins

Bailey

Rogers

Patton

Wheaton

Woods

Hunter

Who else? Anyone?

I think Sanders is better than a lot of these guys, certainly he is more proven.  However, I don't like the idea of giving up a 3rd round pick to get a guy on a one year deal.  To me we should have signed him for 3 years if we thought that highly of him.

NE must have a 3 or 4 year deal ready to drop in his lap.  Agreed, he can't be a 1 yr rental.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

I don't know this seems too coincidental.  Lombardi is in Cleveland.  Mallet and a 2nd, 7th for Sheard, Rubin and a Cleveland 3rd. Or do we trade Deadrick 34DE for Rubin and Mallet for Sheard with a conditional pick coming back from Cleveland?  

Browns Could Trade DE Jabaal Sheard or DL Ahtyba Rubin? Salvador Borboa April 14, 2013 No Comments 

Tony Grossi of ESPN Cleveland believes the Browns could be open to trading either DE/OLB Jabaal Sheard or DL Ahtyba Rubin

• Grossi points out that both players still have market value and believes Sheard could fetch a second-round pick for the Browns.
    • Grossi adds that he wouldn’t rule out the Browns taking an outside linebacker at No. 6 overall.

With the Browns implementing a new 3-4 defensive scheme, both players could be shopped around for some additional draft picks that they could use to find player who are better fits for Ray Horton‘s defense

Cleveland is currently without a second-round pick after they selected WR Josh Gordon in the 2012 Supplemental Draft. Sheard was taken in the second-round of the 2011 draft, so netting a second-round selection for him would be a reasonable return.

Sheard, 23, has tallied 15.5 sacks in his first two seasons in the league, but interestingly enough, Pro Football Focus had him rated as one of the worst 4-3 defensive ends at rushing the passer last season.

Rubin, 26, was taken in the 2008 draft and has been a starter ever since Shaun Rogers left in 2009. Overall, he’s been strong against the run and has the ability provide some interior pass rush from time-to-time.

While the idea is highly speculative, it could be something to watch as the Browns new regime looks to build a new foundation for the team in this year’s draft.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Yes, about 1000 posts ago (Kidding)

Was a Safety in HS.  Converted to LB.  Has great instincts and athleticism. Good COD, coverage skills;however, he is tweener for sure.

03/25/13 - 2013 Missouri Pro Day: Zaviar Gooden, OLB (6-foot-1 3/4, 224 pounds) - Gooden had a 38 1/2-inch vertical jump (4 1/2 inches better than his NFL Scouting Combine number). He then stood by the rest of his numbers from the combine (he was a top performer in his position group at the combine in every workout but the vertical). Gooden is a good athlete with speed. This is a good linebacker prospect. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

03/08/13 - 2013 Missouri Pro Day: As for Gooden, he was so good at the Combine, he probably could’ve done nothing more than play meet-and-greet with the NFL team representative on hand Thursday. His sizzling 40 time of 4.47 in Indy was tops among linebackers. In fact, in every timed drill at the Combine, Gooden was fastest among the linebackers. But he wasn’t happy with his vertical jump in Indianapolis, so he gave that another try at Mizzou, with great results. “I increased my vertical from the Combine by 4½ inches _ that was pretty good,” Gooden said.

His leap of 38½ inches drew a grasp from spectators at the Mizzou indoor facility, prompting someone to ask Gooden if he’s in the wrong sport. Maybe he should be pursuing a basketball career. “No, I gave that up a long time ago,” Gooden said, laughing.

Bowden from the Rams’ coaching staff ran the linebacker drills for Gooden, drills which emphasized pass drops, moving in space, as well as some tight bag work. By now, every personnel department in the NFL knows how fast Gooden runs when it comes to straightline speed, but how are his instincts? What about his change of direction? “I had fun doing the drills,” Gooden said. “I felt like I looked fluid in them.”

Before Thursday, Gooden said he met with Rams officials at the Combine and the Senior Bowl. “So I developed a relationship with them,” Gooden said. Gooden said he already has workouts scheduled with Carolina, Chicago, and New England; Richardson said Cleveland is coming to Columbia next week to work him out. - Jim Thomas, St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Good info Thanks!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Hopkins

Bailey

Rogers

Patton

Wheaton

Woods

Hunter

Who else? Anyone?

Thats my problem too and why I'm 50/50 on the move. If they don't reach a long term deal it could be  a waste. If he doesn't work out here, they waste the 3rd. If he plays great and makes the pro bowl still playing on that 1year, what kind of cash will he be looking for and will they be able to afford him? (if they haven't reached a deal beforehand)

This is a good wr class and a good kid can be had in the 3rd for low cost for more years. Question marks either way I look at it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Based on contract status and players likely to be available, I believe BB will draft a DT with his first pick.  Love, Deaderick and Pryor are free agents after this season while Wilfork, Kelly and Forston are free agents after 2014.  Pryor can't stay healthy, Kelly is unproven in our sytem and is 32.  Couple that with there being 3 sure-fired DT in this draft to be taken before pick 29 (Floyd, Lotulelei and Richardson), meaning one of the Williams, Hankins and Short will be there, and I think the stage is set for us to draft a DT at 29 or with a slight trade down. 

I still view our need at WR as our greatest area of need, even if we get E. Sanders but history shows that BB drafts as often based on contractual stability and age at a position as he does need.  If either Sylvester or Jesse Williams are there at 29, I believe BB will pull the trigger.  If not, he will try to trade back and get Hankins or Short a little later on. 

This seems logical Faucet.  I think they get one of thost DTs at the top of the 2nd rd.  If they get an extra pick we could see, WR, CB after.  I wouldn't discount DE/OLB either.  They have invested in Love, Deaderick and Pryor, I am not sure all would be released.  They could extend at least 1.

Bottomline: your scenario fits.

I think if Pryor so much as cuts himself shaving during training camp he'll get cut.  Same with Dowling.  Players that can't see the field aren't much use.  I think DE is a strong possibility, i.e. Margus Hunt although we seem loaded with average DEs.  WR is an interesting option in that there isn't really a consensus after Patterson and Austin.  The next 7-8 guys could really go in any order and could be had probably well into the 3rd round. 

I agree, I only want to go with a DE if he's going to beat out Ninkovich. We have Jones, Nink, Cunningham, Bequette, Francis. Anyone I'm missing? I wouldn't mind Trevor Scott back for depth. I would take a flyer on Brandon Jenkins late(5th rd and up) because he's shown so much before he got injured. Otherwise if we draft DE use a 1st or 2nd on one who can make an immediate impact. I prefer DT though

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Hopkins

Bailey

Rogers

Patton

Wheaton

Woods

Hunter

Who else? Anyone?

Thats my problem too and why I'm 50/50 on the move. If they don't reach a long term deal it could be  a waste. If he doesn't work out here, they waste the 3rd. If he plays great and makes the pro bowl still playing on that 1year, what kind of cash will he be looking for and will they be able to afford him? (if they haven't reached a deal beforehand)

This is a good wr class and a good kid can be had in the 3rd for low cost for more years. Question marks either way I look at it.

Yourself, Faucet, and JJ all making good points. Ones that have been discussed ad nauseam .

Speculation of the Pats ripping up his 1 yr and replacing it with a long term deal aside for a moment.

Would anyone really be upset if the Pats did indeed get Sanders. He did indeed stay on a 1 yr deal. He does indeed get the system and click with Brady having a really great season which helps the Patriots win the superbowl.

Does anyone really care at that point if he walked the following year? I think people would just be excited to finally win a superbowl again.

The talk at a point like that would quickly turn from the "but we could have gotten a really good WR at the end of rd 3(#91) for very short money and had him for 3 or 4 years" to something like "but only players x and y were available at #91 and we have no idea if they would even work here and might have been let go after 2 failed seasons like so many others before them".

People will naturally change their tunes based on how the whole thing plays out. As with the rest of the WR corp changes.

The following are the number of WR's that were selected by year over the last 6 years prior to pick #91.

(12)

(11)

(12)

(14)

(13)

(16)

A six yr Average of 13 WR's selected prior to pick #91

So a very feasible likelihood that the following WR's could be gone by pick #91

1. Cordarrelle Patterson

2. Keenan Allen

3. DeAndre Hopkins

4. Tavon Austin

5. Robert Woods

6. Quinton Patton

7. Justin Hunter

8. Markus Wheaton

9. Terrance Williams

10. Aaron Dobson

11. Stedman Bailey

12. Da'Rick Rogers

13. Ryan Swope, etc.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Hopkins

Bailey

Rogers

Patton

Wheaton

Woods

Hunter

Who else? Anyone?

Yourself, Faucet, and JJ all making good points. Ones that have been discussed ad nauseam .

Speculation of the Pats ripping up his 1 yr and replacing it with a long term deal aside for a moment.

Would anyone really be upset if the Pats did indeed get Sanders. He did indeed stay on a 1 yr deal. He does indeed get the system and click with Brady having a really great season which helps the Patriots win the superbowl.

Does anyone really care at that point if he walked the following year? I think people would just be excited to finally win a superbowl again.

The talk at a point like that would quickly turn from the "but we could have gotten a really good WR at the end of rd 3(#91) for very short money and had him for 3 or 4 years" to something like "but only players x and y were available at #91 and we have no idea if they would even work here and might have been let go after 2 failed seasons like so many others before them".

People will naturally change their tunes based on how the whole thing plays out. As with the rest of the WR corp changes.

The following are the number of WR's that were selected by year over the last 6 years prior to pick #91.

(12)

(11)

(12)

(14)

(13)

(16)

1. Cordarrelle Patterson

2. Keenan Allen

3. DeAndre Hopkins

4. Tavon Austin

5. Robert Woods

6. Quinton Patton

7. Justin Hunter

8. Markus Wheaton

9. Terrance Williams

10. Aaron Dobson

11. Stedman Bailey

12. Da'Rick Rogers

13. Ryan Swope, etc.

If bringing in Sanders brings another Lombardi home and he leaves and we lose a 3rd I would have no complaints at all. Heck, if Sanders brings another SB victory on a one year rental, I'd probably trade the whole draft for him haha

I think anything short of a Lombardi would disapoint me if Sanders was only here for a year. Same with Talib, if they didn't resign him I would've been disapointed they lost a 4th rd'er for a half year rental. If they won the SB last year and he left, no complaints.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Exactly. Which is why sanders makes seNse Unless the pats are willing to commit an earlier pick to the position.

sanders is better than who they can get at 91 + they can use round 1& 2 picks to trade down or grab BPA. 

8:25 and counting....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

Hopkins

Bailey

Rogers

Patton

Wheaton

Woods

Hunter

Who else? Anyone?

I think Sanders is better than a lot of these guys, certainly he is more proven.  However, I don't like the idea of giving up a 3rd round pick to get a guy on a one year deal.  To me we should have signed him for 3 years if we thought that highly of him

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

We still can sign him for 3 years. The only thing Pitt has to do is match the 1 year which I think was smart by bb to do because Pitt is strapped and can't lower the cap hit this year. He visited the pats so for all we know, he and bb may have a multi year deal already negotiated.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Hopkins

Bailey

Rogers

Patton

Wheaton

Woods

Hunter

Who else? Anyone?

(12)

(11)

(12)

(14)

(13)

(16)

1. Cordarrelle Patterson

2. Keenan Allen

3. DeAndre Hopkins

4. Tavon Austin

5. Robert Woods

6. Quinton Patton

7. Justin Hunter

8. Markus Wheaton

9. Terrance Williams

10. Aaron Dobson

11. Stedman Bailey

12. Da'Rick Rogers

13. Ryan Swope, etc.

on the thread i started riffing off wlater football's latest mock draft this week i noted he had dobson and williams there at 91. both could be better than sanders. i like dobson.

wiht bbs selection process at wr, it' shard to be against the sanders move. 

'i still want a big outside wr like rogers in rd 2.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

We still can sign him for 3 years. The only thing Pitt has to do is match the 1 year which I think was smart by bb to do because Pitt is strapped and can't lower the cap hit this year. He visited the pats so for all we know, he and bb may have a multi year deal already negotiated.

im sure we did, othrewise 2.5 mil for one year of sanders over a potential wr for almost nothing for 4 years makes little sense.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Hopkins

Bailey

Rogers

Patton

Wheaton

Woods

Hunter

Who else? Anyone?

the above plus dobson,  williams,  (to like it more).

id be 50-50 if my 3rd round wr picks were not gone.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Based on contract status and players likely to be available, I believe BB will draft a DT with his first pick.  Love, Deaderick and Pryor are free agents after this season while Wilfork, Kelly and Forston are free agents after 2014.  Pryor can't stay healthy, Kelly is unproven in our sytem and is 32.  Couple that with there being 3 sure-fired DT in this draft to be taken before pick 29 (Floyd, Lotulelei and Richardson), meaning one of the Williams, Hankins and Short will be there, and I think the stage is set for us to draft a DT at 29 or with a slight trade down. 

I still view our need at WR as our greatest area of need, even if we get E. Sanders but history shows that BB drafts as often based on contractual stability and age at a position as he does need.  If either Sylvester or Jesse Williams are there at 29, I believe BB will pull the trigger.  If not, he will try to trade back and get Hankins or Short a little later on. 

if we didnt have de pass rushing need id be ok with this. 

so facuet what wr are you wanting in rd 2?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Wondering what you guys thought of Alex Okafor, because I'm hearing he can go late first/early second. I think he looks like an average football player...he looks stiff, he is the last one off the ball, he has no pass rush moves, he doesn't bend around the edge, he gets fooled and he is lost when he drops. To me he makes Jermaine Cunningham look like Lawrence Taylor.

Am I off on this?

Have a look here and here and for some information on the rest you can check here

thanks lowe, so my  carradine and okafor picks "stand up".

wonder why  hunt not included

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

Hopkins

Bailey

Rogers

Patton

Wheaton

Woods

Hunter

Who else? Anyone?

the above plus dobson,  williams,  (to like it more).

id be 50-50 if my 3rd round wr picks were not gone.

Same thoughts on this

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Wondering what you guys thought of Alex Okafor, because I'm hearing he can go late first/early second. I think he looks like an average football player...he looks stiff, he is the last one off the ball, he has no pass rush moves, he doesn't bend around the edge, he gets fooled and he is lost when he drops. To me he makes Jermaine Cunningham look like Lawrence Taylor.

Am I off on this?

Have a look here and here and for some information on the rest you can check here

Excellent stuff and I must say I'm shocked by the results - to me it looks like Okafor goes up field strond and wide, with little bend or counter moves. He seems to get some sacks with this wide bull rush thing he does, with his right arm pushing on the tackle and his left to grab the QB.  Who knows? Maybe that will work as a 43 end on the strong side? I just can't see it, but some very interesting and surprising statistics from that site.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Am I off on this?

I don't think anyone can make Jermaine Cunningham look like LT, haha.

I've seen it written that Okafor looks like a better player with his hand in the dirt and I'd have to agree... with good explosion out of his stance and better flexibility around the edge.  He looks pretty ordinary when playing in a 2 point stance... looks strong at the point, can set the edge with some stack/shed ability, but doesn't seem to offer much as a passrusher in that capacity.

Overall, I think he plays the game hard with a good effort both up the field and in pursuit and should be valued higher by 43 teams as I think his best fit is at end.

Ok, I agree with the 43 type of fit. I don't see him being anything special, but someone posted some interesting stats on him getting to the QB.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

-

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Now that the Steelers matched, I think we should get the best DL man, be it DT or DE that we can find then draft two WRs with our 2nd and 3rd.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Now that the Steelers matched, I think we should get the best DL man, be it DT or DE that we can find then draft two WRs with our 2nd and 3rd.

I think we go DT/DE, WR, CB  and we resign Lloyd.  The WR in the draft needs to be able to stretch the defense and play on the outside.

Sections
Shortcuts