***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

Reviewing CBs,  Micah Hyde, I wouldnt mind him in the 7th, but I think he goes early. Great time in the 3-cone.

This was his Pro-day on 25 March

Micah Hyde, FS (5-foot-11 1/2, 194 pounds) — Hyde had a 33 1/2-inch vertical, a 10-foot broad jump, a 4.22-second short shuttle, a 6.67-second three-cone drill and 12 reps on the bench. He did position drills.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Good read on WR D. Hopkins.  Tough kid been through a lot.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/04/15/deandre-hopkins-nfl-draft-many-tragedies/2086501/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Reviewing CBs,  Micah Hyde, I wouldnt mind him in the 7th, but I think he goes early. Great time in the 3-cone.

This was his Pro-day on 25 March

Micah Hyde, FS (5-foot-11 1/2, 194 pounds) — Hyde had a 33 1/2-inch vertical, a 10-foot broad jump, a 4.22-second short shuttle, a 6.67-second three-cone drill and 12 reps on the bench. He did position drills.

I like Hyde, believe PE likes him as well... good sized kid that's physical and tackles well, could potentially play some S, not to mention BB and Ferentz are boys... he ran into a bit of trouble off the field, but I agree that he could be a solid Day 3 option.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

In response to Faucetman's comment:

I have been looking at various draft sites and draft expert’s WR rankings.  I find that Austin and Patterson are still the clear #1 and #2 on most boards.  After that Allen, Hopkins, and Woods are grouped together on most boards.  You then see Hunter, Patton, Wheaton and Williams grouped pretty tightly together in the next wave.  I looked at the top 16 WRs since I don’t see more than that taken before our pick 91.  Their average rankings are:

1.8  Cordarrelle Patterson RD 1

1.8  Tavon Austin RD 1

3.3   Keenan Allen RD 1-2

3.8   DeAndre Hopkins RD 1-2

4.8   Robert Woods RD 1-2

6.4   Justin Hunter RD 2

7.2  Quinton Patton RD 2

8.6  Markus Wheaton RD 2-3

8.7  Terrance Williams RD 2-3

10.6  Stedman Bailey RD 3

10.8  Da'Rick Rogers RD 3

11.8   Aaron Dobson RD 3

12.0  Ryan Swope RD 3

15.3   Kenny Stills RD 3-4

16.3  Marquise Goodwin RD 3-4

17.8  Chris Harper RD 3-4

I really don't see more than 4 WRs going in the first round, with 2-3 more likely.  Although I think there is a chance a top 10 team takes Austin, I think it would be foolish to spend such a high pick on such a diminutive receiver but can’t see him getting past the Rams at 16 to replace Amendola. 

Patterson is a bit of a hard player to project but to be conservative, I’ll assume he’s gone by pick 24 to Indy although Indy is more likely to take a pass rusher.  After Indy I see Houston as a strong candidate to take a WR.  Then you have NE at 29 and BAL at 32 as the strongest candidates to take a WR in the first round. 

So by pick 29, 2 maybe 3 WRs should be off the board meaning the Pats should have their choice of at least 2 of Allen, Hopkins and Woods.  Knowing the Pats the way we do, they will be trying hard to trade down knowing they can still get one of these guys in the early 2nd if indeed they plan to go WR.

Let’s say the Pats go a different direction at 29 and look to take a WR at 59.  Let’s say BAL addresses their needs on D instead of WR at 32.  We could have 13-14 of the top 16 WRs on the board to start Round 2.  This will cause a run at WR in the 2nd.

I see 8 teams that could target WR in the 2nd; SF (34), TEN (40), BUF (41), CAR (44), MIN (52), NE (59), ATL (60) and BAL (62). If NE can find a trading partner looking to move up at 29 to land a QB such as PHI (35), NYJ (39) or BUF (41), they could still see one of Allen, Hopkins or Woods.  However, if they wait until 59, they could be left with Wheaton, Williams and/or Bailey as their top options, which isn’t bad. I would be thrilled with any of those guys at 59.  At 91 however, we’d be lucky if Swope and lower are on the board.

I don’t think we can afford to NOT get a solid WR or two in this draft.  However, I don’t see the Pats taking a WR at 29 as they have never taken a WR in the first round under BB.  In fact the highest they ever drafted a WR in the draft under BB was Chad Jackson at 36.  So in a perfect world, we’ll trade down with the Jets at 39 allowing them to come up for their QB and at 39, we will select who is left from Allen, Hopkins or Woods.

Very, very nice analysis, Faucet.

I can see four WRs taken before 29. Very likely takers are STL, CIN, MIN.

CAR is another team that could pick a WR high. Smith is nearing the end of his career. Here is a opportunity to bring in a playmaking option for Newton, who can go across Smith in the meantime, and then fully take over as a #1 a year or so later. If they continue the team;s trajectory, they may not have the same opportunity in the following years.

STL is another wild card. I am pretty confident that STL uses picks 16, 22 and 46 to pick up at least 2 (They lost Amendola and Gibson), possibly 3, receiving options for Badford. If they go three, they could do WR TE (Eifert) WR or WR WR TE (Ertz). Also possible that both TEs and top 5 WRs are gone by 46, in which case they may consider Lacy.

I am guessing the first four WRs taken are some order of Patterson, Austin, Hopkins and Woods.

I would not touch Allen at 29 (Frankly, not my type even at 59). I agree, taking WR would be going outside of the norm for BB. And for me, personally, I prefer going D on 29. Having Woods or Hopkins is available at 29 might make me think twice.  

Yes, as many as 4 can go before 29 but I doubt it as I think CAR will go DT or Kenny Vaccaro if he's there.  This WR class isn't elite but it is deep so I see CAR waiting until the 2nd.  I already have STL taking a WR so I don't think they will use both of their #1s on a WR. 

Allen's stock will drop.  He might be there at 59.  I'm not wild about his numbers but if he falls to 59 and compares well with Bolden, he would be hard to Not take.  As I said earlier, I've become a big Robert Woods fan, not at 29 but if we can trade down and get him in the 2nd. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

I have been looking at various draft sites and draft expert’s WR rankings.  I find that Austin and Patterson are still the clear #1 and #2 on most boards.  After that Allen, Hopkins, and Woods are grouped together on most boards.  You then see Hunter, Patton, Wheaton and Williams grouped pretty tightly together in the next wave.  I looked at the top 16 WRs since I don’t see more than that taken before our pick 91.  Their average rankings are:

1.8  Tavon Austin RD 1

6.4   Justin Hunter RD 2

7.2  Quinton Patton RD 2

11.8   Aaron Dobson RD 3

12.0  Ryan Swope RD 3

I really don't see more than 4 WRs going in the first round, with 2-3 more likely.  Although I think there is a chance a top 10 team takes Austin, I think it would be foolish to spend such a high pick on such a diminutive receiver but can’t see him getting past the Rams at 16 to replace Amendola. 

Patterson is a bit of a hard player to project but to be conservative, I’ll assume he’s gone by pick 24 to Indy although Indy is more likely to take a pass rusher.  After Indy I see Houston as a strong candidate to take a WR.  Then you have NE at 29 and BAL at 32 as the strongest candidates to take a WR in the first round. 

So by pick 29, 2 maybe 3 WRs should be off the board meaning the Pats should have their choice of at least 2 of Allen, Hopkins and Woods.  Knowing the Pats the way we do, they will be trying hard to trade down knowing they can still get one of these guys in the early 2nd if indeed they plan to go WR.

Let’s say the Pats go a different direction at 29 and look to take a WR at 59.  Let’s say BAL addresses their needs on D instead of WR at 32.  We could have 13-14 of the top 16 WRs on the board to start Round 2.  This will cause a run at WR in the 2nd.

I see 8 teams that could target WR in the 2nd; SF (34), TEN (40), BUF (41), CAR (44), MIN (52), NE (59), ATL (60) and BAL (62). If NE can find a trading partner looking to move up at 29 to land a QB such as PHI (35), NYJ (39) or BUF (41), they could still see one of Allen, Hopkins or Woods.  However, if they wait until 59, they could be left with Wheaton, Williams and/or Bailey as their top options, which isn’t bad. I would be thrilled with any of those guys at 59.  At 91 however, we’d be lucky if Swope and lower are on the board.

I don’t think we can afford to NOT get a solid WR or two in this draft.  However, I don’t see the Pats taking a WR at 29 as they have never taken a WR in the first round under BB.  In fact the highest they ever drafted a WR in the draft under BB was Chad Jackson at 36.  So in a perfect world, we’ll trade down with the Jets at 39 allowing them to come up for their QB and at 39, we will select who is left from Allen, Hopkins or Woods.

Awesome stuff, man... I do see Houston as the major roadblock for Hopkins and agree that Austin and Patterson shouldbe gone prior to that.

I personally don't see Woods as a Rd 1 talent and while I'd like him in Rd 2, I'd take Bailey over him (I'm prob in the minority there). 

I also agree that a WR looks like a necessity within the Top 64.

Thanks man.  Yeah I'm with you on not taking Woods at 29 but don't see him lasting to 59.  Hopkins won't last either.  I know you were advocating for DT at 29 and I'm still pushing for Margus Hunt if we stay put.  But if we can move back to the late 30s or early 40s it would be the right spot for either WR IMO. 

I'm still a huge fan of Brian Schwenke and I don't think 59 is too high for him but I do think he could be had in the mid to late 60s so perhaps give up our 29 for a pick in the 30s and pick up an extra 3rd. 

I'm hearing the Bills are higher on Barkley than they are Nassib and with them at 41 and the Jets at 39, they might be a nice partner for this.  ARI may still be in the market for a QB at 38 and fearful of the Jets or Bills moving up.  Barkley has been linked to them a lot.  What if they traded up to 29 and we picked up their 38 and 69?  We might still get Hunt at 38 but if he's gone get Woods or Hopkins there.  Then get Bailey at 59 and come back with Schwenke at 69. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

i have a feeling NE is going to select WR Justin Hunter with their first pick. 

hes one of mine, i wouldnt mine having him, but i want the pass rusher so we better move up for carradine, okafor or hunt if that happens

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

i have a feeling NE is going to select WR Justin Hunter with their first pick. 

hes one of mine, i wouldnt mine having him, but i want the pass rusher so we better move up for carradine, okafor or hunt if that happens

i personally don't like this year's DE class, especially in round 1. much rather sign john abraham.

ive been saying i wanted both

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Miguel at www.patscap.com

Last updated on April 15, 2013 12:45 PM EDT

According to my figures the Patriots' 2013 cap figure is for $113,199,225 with 69 (68 active, 0 on Injured Reserve, 1 on Reserve/Non-NFI) players. I now believe that reserve players like Brian Waters do not count against the cap. I have the Patriots' 2013 dead money at $6,644,196. $113,164,225 + $6,644,196 = $119,808,421. The cap limit for the 2013 season is $123 million. The Patriots' adjusted cap number is $129,656,344. Therefore, I have the Patriots under their adjusted cap limit by about $9.9 million. According to the NFLPA the Patriots are under the cap by $8,644,937 so my numbers are off by $1.3 million. Why do I think that my numbers are off? I believe that one or more Patriots have unreported incentives hitting the cap.

good stuff where's abraham :)

I think you'll probably see guys like Abraham/Freeney get signed over or slightly after draft weekend when teams don't get the pass rusher they want. Then again it also looks like these two priced themselves out of range a bit, and might have to wait till training camp. So basically...yeah, I don't know what I'm talking about:( 

still fun to weigh in :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Al Fronczak from ECS does a pretty good job with evaluating talent and mocks. Here is his QBs and RBs.  If this becomes a run on QBs, I think Manuel goes at the end of the first.  He has the "NE connected" Jeff Tuel in the 6th.  The wild card is Matt Scott. He has been moving up from UDFA to all the way to 4th Rd.

For RBs, I like Maysonet late. 

Quarterbacks
    Round One - Geno Smith, West Virginia...Ryan Nassib, Syracuse...Matt Barkley, USC;
    Round Two - EJ Manuel, Florida State...Tyler Bray, Tennessee;
    Round Three - Mike Glennon, N.C. State...Tyler Wilson, Arkansas;
    Round Four - Landry Jones, Oklahoma...Matt Scott, Arizona...Zac Dysert, Miami-Ohio;
    Round Six - Jeff Tuel, Washington State...Ryan Griffin, Tulane;
    Round Seven - Sean Renfree, Duke...Brad Sorenson, So. Utah;    

Halfbacks
    Round Two - Eddie Lacy, Alabama...Christine Michael, Texas A&M...Giovanni Bernard, UNC...Le'Veon Bell, Michigan State;
    Round Three - Monte Ball, Wisconsin...Andre Ellington, Clemson...Johnathan Franklin, UCLA;
    Round Four - Zac Stacey, Vanderbilt...Kenjon Barner, Oregon...Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina;
    Round Five - Joseph Randle, Oklahoma State...Knile Davis, Arkansas...Mike Gillisee, Florida;
    Round Six - Stepfan Taylor, Stanford...Rex Burkhead, Nebraska...Kerwynn Williams, Utah State...Cierre Wood, Notre Dame;
    Round Seven - Dennis Johnson, Arkansas...Miguel Maysonet, Stony Brook...Michael Ford, LSU...Robbie Rouse, Fresno State;

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Al Fronczak from ECS does a pretty good job with evaluating talent and mocks. Here is his QBs and RBs.  If this becomes a run on QBs, I think Manuel goes at the end of the first.  He has the "NE connected" Jeff Tuel in the 6th.  The wild card is Matt Scott. He has been moving up from UDFA to all the way to 4th Rd.

For RBs, I like Maysonet late. 

Quarterbacks
    Round One - Geno Smith, West Virginia...Ryan Nassib, Syracuse...Matt Barkley, USC;
    Round Two - EJ Manuel, Florida State...Tyler Bray, Tennessee;
    Round Three - Mike Glennon, N.C. State...Tyler Wilson, Arkansas;
    Round Four - Landry Jones, Oklahoma...Matt Scott, Arizona...Zac Dysert, Miami-Ohio;
    Round Six - Jeff Tuel, Washington State...Ryan Griffin, Tulane;
    Round Seven - Sean Renfree, Duke...Brad Sorenson, So. Utah;    

Halfbacks
    Round Two - Eddie Lacy, Alabama...Christine Michael, Texas A&M...Giovanni Bernard, UNC...Le'Veon Bell, Michigan State;
    Round Three - Monte Ball, Wisconsin...Andre Ellington, Clemson...Johnathan Franklin, UCLA;
    Round Four - Zac Stacey, Vanderbilt...Kenjon Barner, Oregon...Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina;
    Round Five - Joseph Randle, Oklahoma State...Knile Davis, Arkansas...Mike Gillisee, Florida;
    Round Six - Stepfan Taylor, Stanford...Rex Burkhead, Nebraska...Kerwynn Williams, Utah State...Cierre Wood, Notre Dame;
    Round Seven - Dennis Johnson, Arkansas...Miguel Maysonet, Stony Brook...Michael Ford, LSU...Robbie Rouse, Fresno State;

Tuel makes a ton of sense for the Pats. Similar QB to Brady (except he can run), in a great value position because they platooned him dropping his draft stock, and very good fundamentals to build off of. It should also take him 3-4 years to develop which is about the time table for Brady to retire. Makes a ton of sense

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

BTW, great analysis on the WRs Faucet

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Could the Pats help facilitate a trade of Mallett?

Stay with me on this one. As we know outside of Nassib, Manuel and Barkley are there really any QB's worth taking in the 2nd? And even Barkley is questionable. So, people are now predicting that with 8 teams looking for a QB (Oak, Clev, TB, Phi, Jax, Jets, Buf, Ari) chances are good that at least 2 might move to the back of the first to get a QB. Clev, Oak, Buf, and TB being the most likely give their position in the 2nd or lack of a 2nd all together. We know that TB had interest in Mallett within the last month and unless they trade up in the 2nd or back into the 1st it is unlikely they will get a QB. So, if the Pats can trade with one of the other teams looking to move up it takes away a QB for TB to get almost forcing TB's hand to make a trade for Mallett.

Here's an interesting scenerio:

Buf being one of the last QB needy teams in the 2nd trades up #41 and #105 to the Pats for #29

Buf moving up takes a possible QB away from TB and forces TB to either move ahead of every other team or make a trade for a QB. The more positive thing is that since it happens day 1 it gives the Pats all night to work with TB to get a deal done for day 2.

TB then trades #43 and #73 to the Pats for Mallett and #91.

Now the Pats have picks #41, #43, #59, #73, #105. That's 5 picks in the meat of the draft.

Now lets look at possible picks there:

#41 - Jamar Taylor or Blidi Wren-Wilson CB: That Pats have been linked to both players and they could use a solid 4th CB who could become a starter in a year. Both would fill the role

#43 - Margus Hunt or J. Williams or J. Hankins DL: Chances are good at least one of these guys are there and it adds solid DL depth with high potential to become starters

#59/#73/#105 - Marcus Wheaton, Da'Rick Rogers, Stedman Bailey, Keenan Allen, Ryan Swope WR, Jamar Collins LB, Barrett Jones, David Quessenberry OL, Nick Kasa TE: I grouped the picks together because a combo of the above should be available and they can double down on WR while also picking up another player 

Now that would be a good hual

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Could the Pats help facilitate a trade of Mallett?

Stay with me on this one. As we know outside of Nassib, Manuel and Barkley are there really any QB's worth taking in the 2nd? And even Barkley is questionable. So, people are now predicting that with 8 teams looking for a QB (Oak, Clev, TB, Phi, Jax, Jets, Buf, Ari) chances are good that at least 2 might move to the back of the first to get a QB. Clev, Oak, Buf, and TB being the most likely give their position in the 2nd or lack of a 2nd all together. We know that TB had interest in Mallett within the last month and unless they trade up in the 2nd or back into the 1st it is unlikely they will get a QB. So, if the Pats can trade with one of the other teams looking to move up it takes away a QB for TB to get almost forcing TB's hand to make a trade for Mallett.

Here's an interesting scenerio:

Buf being one of the last QB needy teams in the 2nd trades up #41 and #105 to the Pats for #29

Buf moving up takes a possible QB away from TB and forces TB to either move ahead of every other team or make a trade for a QB. The more positive thing is that since it happens day 1 it gives the Pats all night to work with TB to get a deal done for day 2.

TB then trades #43 and #73 to the Pats for Mallett and #91.

Now the Pats have picks #41, #43, #59, #73, #105. That's 5 picks in the meat of the draft.

Now lets look at possible picks there:

#41 - Jamar Taylor or Blidi Wren-Wilson CB: That Pats have been linked to both players and they could use a solid 4th CB who could become a starter in a year. Both would fill the role

#43 - Margus Hunt or J. Williams or J. Hankins DL: Chances are good at least one of these guys are there and it adds solid DL depth with high potential to become starters

#59/#73/#105 - Marcus Wheaton, Da'Rick Rogers, Stedman Bailey, Keenan Allen, Ryan Swope WR, Jamar Collins LB, Barrett Jones, David Quessenberry OL, Nick Kasa TE: I grouped the picks together because a combo of the above should be available and they can double down on WR while also picking up another player 

Now that would be a good hual

Good thought.  This would be an amazing scenario for Pats, getting 3 2nd rounders without giving up any 2014 picks.  Maybe too good to be true...  Makes sense how you drew it up, though.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

1.8  Tavon Austin RD 1

6.4   Justin Hunter RD 2

7.2  Quinton Patton RD 2

11.8   Aaron Dobson RD 3

12.0  Ryan Swope RD 3

Awesome stuff, man... I do see Houston as the major roadblock for Hopkins and agree that Austin and Patterson shouldbe gone prior to that.

I personally don't see Woods as a Rd 1 talent and while I'd like him in Rd 2, I'd take Bailey over him (I'm prob in the minority there). 

I also agree that a WR looks like a necessity within the Top 64.

I don't either and agree of taking bailey over woods. 

I wouldn't be surprised if woods stays on the board longer than some think, and a team takes hunter ahead of him. 

We need the WR pick to come early..or as faucet and low previously suggested, we will be left with scraps. 29 on Hopkins if he is there, or trade back to top of second and grab bailey.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Eng,

thats creativity ! 

Would be an amazing feat to pull that off. Question is, is it realistic? 

the closer we get to the draft, given what the pats have done so far in FA , I got to think bb has something up his sleeve and the outline for a plan to acquire more picks in the draft including a mallet trade are being baked. 

Your thoughts around engineering this between day 1 and 2 is good. That gives both teams enough dtime to work options. 

Are you convinced that Schiano is not happy with freeman? That freeman is not his guy? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Eng,

thats creativity ! 

Would be an amazing feat to pull that off. Question is, is it realistic? 

the closer we get to the draft, given what the pats have done so far in FA , I got to think bb has something up his sleeve and the outline for a plan to acquire more picks in the draft including a mallet trade are being baked. 

Your thoughts around engineering this between day 1 and 2 is good. That gives both teams enough dtime to work options. 

Are you convinced that Schiano is not happy with freeman? That freeman is not his guy? 

Is it possible yeah but it would take a lot of work and some luck with someone trading up to get a QB into day 1. But, considering TB was one of the 2 teams interested in Mallett this offseason and rumblings they didn't like how Freeman essentially fell apart. So again possible but I do think it's something BB has already thought of

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Do we draft a TE, UDFA or none?  I say none, unless Eifert is at the bottom of RD 2, not happening.

Tight Ends
    Round One - Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame;
    Round Two - Zach Ertz, Stanford...Gavin Escobar, San Diego State;
    Round Three - Travis Kelce, Cincinnati...Vance McDonald, Rice...Jordan Reed, Florida;
    Round Four - Dion Sims, Michigan State...Chris Gragg, Arkansas;
    Round Five - Ryan Otten, San Jose State...Nick Kasa, Colorado...Levine Toilolo, Stanford;
    Round Six - Jach Sudfeld, Nevada...Jake Stoneburner, Ohio State...Joseph Fauria, UCLA...Kyle Juszcyk, Harvard;
    Round Seven - Mycal Rivera, Tennessee...Jack Doyle, Western Kentucky...Michael Williams, Alabama;   http://www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/2013_NFL_Draft.html

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Do we draft a TE, UDFA or none?  I say none, unless Eifert is at the bottom of RD 2, not happening.

Tight Ends
    Round One - Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame;
    Round Two - Zach Ertz, Stanford...Gavin Escobar, San Diego State;
    Round Three - Travis Kelce, Cincinnati...Vance McDonald, Rice...Jordan Reed, Florida;
    Round Four - Dion Sims, Michigan State...Chris Gragg, Arkansas;
    Round Five - Ryan Otten, San Jose State...Nick Kasa, Colorado...Levine Toilolo, Stanford;
    Round Six - Jach Sudfeld, Nevada...Jake Stoneburner, Ohio State...Joseph Fauria, UCLA...Kyle Juszcyk, Harvard;
    Round Seven - Mycal Rivera, Tennessee...Jack Doyle, Western Kentucky...Michael Williams, Alabama;   http://www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/2013_NFL_Draft.html

I can see maybe trading into Day 3 for Kasa or Toilolo, etc... or maybe even using a Rd 7 pick on Michael Williams if he's available... but I agree that they likely won't pop on one on Day 1/2.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

NE needs to select at 29 or top or RD 2.  I prefer trade back and top of RD 2.

- The battle at the receiver position should get interesting in round two. Amongst the teams Quinton Patton/Louisiana Tech has visited are the St Louis Rams and Tennessee Titans. This makes perfect sense as it’s assumed Patton will be off the board somewhere in the middle of the second frame.Besides being a terrific receiver Patton is spoken about as a hard working, high character prospect by NFL scouts. Then there’s fast rising Ryan Swope/Texas A&M, who’s moving into the middle part of the round. His recent visit list includes theChicago Bears, Buffalo Bills and San Diego Chargers. Swope is applauded for his dependability and the way he does the little things correctly. His speed at the combine (fastest official hand time of 4.28s from Indianapolis) caught a lot of people by surprise and most feel Swope, like Patton, can line-up as a second receiver in the NFL. Sandwiched in that area is Markus Wheaton/Oregon State, a receiver who was rated higher than Keenan Allen on a few boards around the league as far back as January. Wheaton does not possess the size of Patton or Swope yet his playing speed is slightly better. Wheaton has been on visits to the Carolina Panthers and Dallas Cowboysin the lead up to next weeks draft.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6952

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

NE needs to select at 29 or top or RD 2.  I prefer trade back and top of RD 2.

- The battle at the receiver position should get interesting in round two. Amongst the teams Quinton Patton/Louisiana Tech has visited are the St Louis Rams and Tennessee Titans. This makes perfect sense as it’s assumed Patton will be off the board somewhere in the middle of the second frame.Besides being a terrific receiver Patton is spoken about as a hard working, high character prospect by NFL scouts. Then there’s fast rising Ryan Swope/Texas A&M, who’s moving into the middle part of the round. His recent visit list includes theChicago Bears, Buffalo Bills and San Diego Chargers. Swope is applauded for his dependability and the way he does the little things correctly. His speed at the combine (fastest official hand time of 4.28s from Indianapolis) caught a lot of people by surprise and most feel Swope, like Patton, can line-up as a second receiver in the NFL. Sandwiched in that area is Markus Wheaton/Oregon State, a receiver who was rated higher than Keenan Allen on a few boards around the league as far back as January. Wheaton does not possess the size of Patton or Swope yet his playing speed is slightly better. Wheaton has been on visits to the Carolina Panthers and Dallas Cowboysin the lead up to next weeks draft.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6952

Interesting to see the feedback on Wheaton > Allen on some boards... love this kids tape/big play ability.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

(cross posted)

Greg cosell goes over receivers and has one observation he's noticing this year: the availablity of size.

and 2 of the 3 recivers are the 2 ive been touting that the pats should pick this whole draft season: hopkins and rogers

i gotta have a pass rusher so if i cant get one AND hopkins and rogers, i would take the pass rusher and at least get rogers (though id like both and the pass rusher [carradine, okafor, hunt].

if i cant get hopkins, i could take rogers in rd 2 and dobson in rd 3; the pass rusher in rd 1 or top of rd 2 (with a slight trade back).

(exerpted)

There are three receivers in this draft that have somewhat similar traits, and I liked each one of them on tape: DeAndre Hopkins of Clemson, Kansas State’s Chris Harper and Tennessee Tech’s Da’rick Rogers, who led the SEC in receptions at the University of Tennessee in 2011. All three are big bodies: Harper is the shortest at 6’1¾”, and Hopkins weighs the least at 214 pounds. They each attacked the ball, and they consistently made contested catches with excellent timing, body flexibility and strong hands. They were very competitive with the ball in the air. In that sense, they were reminiscent of Anquan Boldin. By the way, Boldin ran a 4.7 40-yard dash at the Scouting Combine in 2003. That has not seemed to negatively impact hisNFL career.

Rogers was the most surprising to me. Not only did I look at his Tennessee Tech tape, but I went back and evaluated his SEC tape the year before, including a fascinating slot matchup with LSU’s Tyrann Mathieu. It was a matchup Rogers dominated with his utilitarian combination of size, strength, aggression, short area quickness, and run-after-catch. The more I studied Rogers, the more I liked him. He played with an edge, demonstrating physicality, toughness and competitiveness. What I kept seeing was deceptive acceleration as a route runner. He did not have top end, or long speed, but he understood how to use his vertical stem to break down, or close the yardage cushion that existed at the snap of the ball between his alignment and the corner. That allowed him to get on top of corners and beat them deep. It’s a subtlety of route running that I saw from Rogers on a consistent basis.

Rogers, Harper and Hopkins raise fascinating questions about the value of wide receivers that would not, based purely on attributes, project as number one receivers, like a Calvin Johnson or an A.J. Green. Again, value is a word that’s freely tossed around this time of year, as if it’s more importantwhen a player is drafted as opposed to what seems to me to be the whole point of the draft, which is to acquire good players who will improve your roster and your team. I would not have a problem with any of the three being chosen in the second round, or even late in the first, for a team that needs a receiver, such as the Houston Texans or the Baltimore Ravens. Again, the academic discussion of “value” has no meaning when it’s week six of the regular season and you’re lacking quality receivers, which handicaps your quarterback in a passing league, and thus limits your ability to win.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

(cross posted)

Greg cosell goes over receivers and has one observation he's noticing this year: the availablity of size.

and 2 of the 3 recivers are the 2 ive been touting that the pats should pick this whole draft season: hopkins and rogers

i gotta have a pass rusher so if i cant get one AND hopkins and rogers, i would take the pass rusher and at least get rogers (though id like both and the pass rusher [carradine, okafor, hunt].

if i cant get hopkins, i could take rogers in rd 2 and dobson in rd 3; the pass rusher in rd 1 or top of rd 2 (with a slight trade back).

(exerpted)

There are three receivers in this draft that have somewhat similar traits, and I liked each one of them on tape: DeAndre Hopkins of Clemson, Kansas State’s Chris Harper and Tennessee Tech’s Da’rick Rogers, who led the SEC in receptions at the University of Tennessee in 2011. All three are big bodies: Harper is the shortest at 6’1¾”, and Hopkins weighs the least at 214 pounds. They each attacked the ball, and they consistently made contested catches with excellent timing, body flexibility and strong hands. They were very competitive with the ball in the air. In that sense, they were reminiscent of Anquan Boldin. By the way, Boldin ran a 4.7 40-yard dash at the Scouting Combine in 2003. That has not seemed to negatively impact hisNFL career.

Rogers was the most surprising to me. Not only did I look at his Tennessee Tech tape, but I went back and evaluated his SEC tape the year before, including a fascinating slot matchup with LSU’s Tyrann Mathieu. It was a matchup Rogers dominated with his utilitarian combination of size, strength, aggression, short area quickness, and run-after-catch. The more I studied Rogers, the more I liked him. He played with an edge, demonstrating physicality, toughness and competitiveness. What I kept seeing was deceptive acceleration as a route runner. He did not have top end, or long speed, but he understood how to use his vertical stem to break down, or close the yardage cushion that existed at the snap of the ball between his alignment and the corner. That allowed him to get on top of corners and beat them deep. It’s a subtlety of route running that I saw from Rogers on a consistent basis.

Rogers, Harper and Hopkins raise fascinating questions about the value of wide receivers that would not, based purely on attributes, project as number one receivers, like a Calvin Johnson or an A.J. Green. Again, value is a word that’s freely tossed around this time of year, as if it’s more importantwhen a player is drafted as opposed to what seems to me to be the whole point of the draft, which is to acquire good players who will improve your roster and your team. I would not have a problem with any of the three being chosen in the second round, or even late in the first, for a team that needs a receiver, such as the Houston Texans or the Baltimore Ravens. Again, the academic discussion of “value” has no meaning when it’s week six of the regular season and you’re lacking quality receivers, which handicaps your quarterback in a passing league, and thus limits your ability to win.

I was thinking similarly on the value topic. Regardless of which receiver, I was wondering why you would no pick at 29 a receiver you'd be willing to pick in the early second round. What's is the difference in picking a kid 10 picks earlier? Not much I say, particularly in this draft where there isn't much difference among the kids rated between 15 and 50. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

(cross posted)

(exerpted)

Cosell has been as hit or miss as ANY other guy over the years. He's completely lauded some busts in the past as well.

Sections
Shortcuts