***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to sporter81's comment:

Does anyone think Barrett Jones would be anywhere even close when the Patriots pick? I see him as a top 5 pick.

we got too any needs for me to draft him with our first pick and he wont be available.

no shot unless we go to and lose a wild card game probabaly, even then only a chance.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to bredbru's comment:

who the rest of you got for our first rd pick?

by the way nate, walter football has him (barrett) gone at 27 (to the pack)

b. how easy would it be to pass on terrence williams (that walter has us taking). we have not had an outside wr who could get seperation. we have higher needs of course. but it woudl open up what is avail on offense greatly even agsint the sf's, houton's, etc and help brady in his late years.

I'm still on Oregon DE/OLB Dion Jordan at the back end of Rd 1.  The Bama kids are also high on my Rd 1 watchlist as is Gator S Matt Elam who cold make a late push.

havetn focused on watchiing him, but you interested in a 240lb de/olb for the pats?

no concern about the weight?

Look forward to see his actual weight at the SB/Combine (Crable had similar listed weights, but didn't have Jordan's upsid), other than that, kid has elite upside as an edge player... heck the kid is so athletic, that he's had some CB assignments... and he's 6-6.

im seeing him up to 243 now.

Here's some of his 2012 tape, there's more out there.

His athleticism, versatility and motor really stand out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JATMzVLBA0

thanks mb. thats what i understand. will look. 

by the way, at 6,6" to 6 7" id rather see him at 253 on his way to 260

jpp aint slow.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

b. how easy would it be to pass on terrence williams (that walter has us taking). we have not had an outside wr who could get seperation. we have higher needs of course. but it woudl open up what is avail on offense greatly even agsint the sf's, houton's, etc and help brady in his late years.

I'm still on Oregon DE/OLB Dion Jordan at the back end of Rd 1.  The Bama kids are also high on my Rd 1 watchlist as is Gator S Matt Elam who cold make a late push.

havetn focused on watchiing him, but you interested in a 240lb de/olb for the pats?

Look forward to see his actual weight at the SB/Combine (Crable had similar listed weights, but didn't have Jordan's upsid), other than that, kid has elite upside as an edge player... heck the kid is so athletic, that he's had some CB assignments... and he's 6-6.

i would like to see him against top competition (this was fresno state)

he was unblocked much of the game.

heard about him playing slot, that was CRAZY. and he looked ok.

there wasnt much running at him, and few times they did, was nobody to block him.

id liek to see what happens when a big tackle blocks him on a run. also how he does against better tackles on passes..

thanks for the watch mb

keep it coming. 

this year havent had time to do research. and when i watch games, not from home much at all. catching plays between sets at gym.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm still stuck on Jonathan Jenkins. I think he's an elite DT/NT similar to Wilfork and if he's anywhere past the top 20 he's the type of player I think BB moves up for.

When I saw move up I feel BB only moves up in the 1st for players he feels he can build the future around at their position ala Jones and Hightower

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

there wasnt much running at him, and few times they did, was nobody to block him.

id liek to see what happens when a big tackle blocks him on a run. also how he does against better tackles on passes..

thanks for the watch mb

keep it coming. 

this year havent had time to do research. and when i watch games, not from home much at all. catching plays between sets at gym.

There were multiple times where they ran to his side of the line and the edge was set... int he times they ran away from him, he made a number of plays in backside pursuit.

I also like his ability to "bend the edge", get under an OT's block, which is even more impressive considering his height.

My biggest knock on him to date is that he needs to protect his legs better.

Here's more 2012 vs. Arizona State:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVicjLxsI_U

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I'm still stuck on Jonathan Jenkins. I think he's an elite DT/NT similar to Wilfork and if he's anywhere past the top 20 he's the type of player I think BB moves up for.

When I saw move up I feel BB only moves up in the 1st for players he feels he can build the future around at their position ala Jones and Hightower

i'll stay in the middle on my decision for now.

prior to deciding on players i went in thinking the de was the top move to make

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

thanks for the watch mb

keep it coming. 

There were multiple times where they ran to his side of the line and the edge was set... int he times they ran away from him, he made a number of plays in backside pursuit.

I also like his ability to "bend the edge", get under an OT's block, which is even more impressive considering his height.

i saw the backside, very impressive. again he wasnt blocked much what i saw. few times he was, he was blocked well. thanks for the 2nd tube. will check it out.

so given jenkins and jordan withiin reach you are ready to say take jordan?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

from the thread i started:

Holy Crap Batman! BB Makes A Trade?! For a CB?! and a Huuuuge Trouble Guy. BB Can Change His Stripes Thank God!!!

EVen if he's not here past this year.

If he plays on the field through the playoffs and helps us wiin a super bowl, what a move!

for a 4th rounder? sb for a 4th rd pick. if it comes to be true. what a move!

we have needed this FOR YEARSSSSSSSSS!

bb is all in for a super bowl 

how pissed was bb that gronks injury cost a super bowl. so pissed he grabbed every te in sight to be sure he had a competent replacement if gronk or hern were to go down.

now hes finnnnnnaaaalllyyy gotten past his stubborness with our cbs inssiting it will be ok with our very poorly performing backfield. 

all there is left to do is watch and enjoy as bb makes the psuh for another ring.

i say damn good for him!

glad you took a shot. 

glad you can grow.

glad you realize brady aint gonna play forever...

and you can shoot for modern day football immortality.

look at the impact this has on the draft (if we keep him)! could be risky but would seriously free us up at 1 of teh highest needs. still could drop him and pick up a good fa in the offseason if we think talib will stay a knucklehead.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

27 is right in our potential spot as of now, I believe that we will improve and not have the 27th pick but as of now that is were we are projected.  So i believe it is reasonable to suggest.  There is always a guy who falls and being that this draft has so many stud DT/DE he could just fall.

In response to bre

jpp aint slow.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:

Does anyone think Barrett Jones would be anywhere even close when the Patriots pick? I see him as a top 5 pick.

when was the last time a Center went top 5?  not sure if mangold was top 5, being that he plays for the J.E.T.S it is somewhat likely

• You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:

27 is right in our potential spot as of now, I believe that we will improve and not have the 27th pick but as of now that is were we are projected.  So i believe it is reasonable to suggest.  There is always a guy who falls and being that this draft has so many stud DT/DE he could just fall.

In response to bre

jpp aint slow.

• nate was that a reply to the barrett jones availability question.

i think no chance he makes it to 32 :)

konz fell dramatically, i wouldn't count it out yet, he hasn't done too much this season. Mangold was the 29th overall pick.

konz fell dramatically, i wouldn't count it out yet, he hasn't done too much this season. Mangold was the 29th overall pick.

gotcha!

guessin you really like barrett?

like you, i really like having a dominat offensive line. but our de really needs to imrove, so i put the highest priority on de line.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

RE:  Barrett Jones... I do think he'll be available in the 20's... certainly won't be off the board in the top 5.

I honestly think that with Jones and Nink progressing and bequette we are in pretty good shape, I have SMU's Margus Hunt later in the draft who is a 6'8 behemoth of a man at DE who is a bit of a developmental prospect who has even more length than jones and with the right coaching could be even better than jones in a year or two.  I really think our O-line needs a stud center, while connolly is good it is not his natural position and i would rather have him available as a rotational guy with the big center to keep brady upright.  With the ever bigger NT/DT we need a big C to protect brady.  these 6'2" guys aren't cutting it. I love the versitility of barrett. Having him and connolly who can play any interior position would really help our O-line. 

thanks for the watch mb

keep it coming. 

i saw the backside, very impressive. again he wasnt blocked much what i saw. few times he was, he was blocked well. thanks for the 2nd tube. will check it out.

I wanna see tape (if anybody has some, please give me the link) on Jenkins before I make judgement... kid's highly rated, but I really love what I've seen from Jordan.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

thanks for the watch mb

keep it coming. 

I wanna see tape (if anybody has some, please give me the link) on Jenkins before I make judgement... kid's highly rated, but I really love what I've seen from Jordan.

[/QUOTE

Jenkins vs Missouri

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q1_UbTq4EQ

I honestly think that with Jones and Nink progressing and bequette we are in pretty good shape, I have SMU's Margus Hunt later in the draft who is a 6'8 behemoth of a man at DE who is a bit of a developmental prospect who has even more length than jones and with the right coaching could be even better than jones in a year or two.  I really think our O-line needs a stud center, while connolly is good it is not his natural position and i would rather have him available as a rotational guy with the big center to keep brady upright.  With the ever bigger NT/DT we need a big C to protect brady.  these 6'2" guys aren't cutting it. I love the versitility of barrett. Having him and connolly who can play any interior position would really help our O-line. 

hey nate, love all this analysis and teh details you have on guys to be able to use variables.

i like all your points here, a, b, c, and d.

i agree on o line. i was one of the guys who were on the same page with you last year on need/desire for a dominating o line.

i wanted to improve with a c/g stud, and g/t stud rt side.

and if hunt has a 40 to 60& chance of being something yeah i coudl see the risk.

RE:  Barrett Jones... I do think he'll be available in the 20's... certainly won't be off the board in the top 5.

i dont see us picking in the 20s :)

@Homecheese,

Thanks, man... I'd still have Jordan higher on my board at this point (but would love to see a big clogger like Jenkins in Foxboro), though I look forward to watching more tape on each.

Ha, I think we'd all like to see them pick 32nd, but bottom quarter of Rd 1 is a fair projection.

Ha, I think we'd all like to see them pick 32nd, but bottom quarter of Rd 1 is a fair projection.

hear ya.

if we play more man to man in the playoffs

time to eat. check the vid later

• You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

on DTs, i like quick and explosive

excuse me for dreaming but to me star is head and shoulders above everyone else. he's not going to fall to where the pats will pick, but that is my type of dt. big, strong, explosive quick and has a nasty streak. 

jenkins is good but a tad slow for me my taste. he'll be the 2nd dt pick up -- a top 15 i believe, maybe a top 10. i'd like him better if he went down to 340 and got quicker.

hankins, not my type. i just did not see anything that he really did well. 

short is another dt i like. not as big (315 maybe) but quick and strong. he did well against nd, i thought. on my notes i wrote about a sack he made with under 14 in the 1st Q. i believe that was the game where i also saw him pursue the qb running to the far sideline and almost got to him. if the pats wanted to go 34, i thought he'd be perfect next to vw.

i have not watched my alabama recordings so can't say anything yet about their big boys.

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

on DTs, i like quick and explosive

excuse me for dreaming but to me star is head and shoulders above everyone else. he's not going to fall to where the pats will pick, but that is my type of dt. big, strong, explosive quick and has a nasty streak. 

jenkins is good but a tad slow for me my taste. he'll be the 2nd dt pick up -- a top 15 i believe, maybe a top 10. i'd like him better if he went down to 340 and got quicker.

hankins, not my type. i just did not see anything that he really did well. 

short is another dt i like. not as big (315 maybe) but quick and strong. he did well against nd, i thought. on my notes i wrote about a sack he made with under 14 in the 1st Q. i believe that was the game where i also saw him pursue the qb running to the far sideline and almost got to him. if the pats wanted to go 34, i thought he'd be perfect next to vw.

i have not watched my alabama recordings so can't say anything yet about their big boys.

thanks for weighing in sea

• Sections
    Shortcuts