***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from uknepatsfan. Show uknepatsfan's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

I think the Pats will trade out.

Word is that Tampa wants back in the first and with Schiano's links to NE I think the Pats would be happy to oblige them at #29.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mcboyd22's comment:

CaptFoxboro - great post and I have a question for you and the others on the thread -

Is there any player in this draft that is worth moving up for, trading future picks for, etc...ala Atlanta and Julio Jones, which in my opinion, has helped them. 

Ziggy Ansah? Could be Vernon Gholston. 

Star Lutuleilei? Help for Vince, replace Vince

Wide Receiver - no Megatron or Megatron-lite (Jones) - Tavon Austin?

Offensive Lineman - never

This kind of shows how "boring" this draft is - in my humble opinion.

I love this kid Ansah - to me he is a strong, athletic kid that has boat loads of potential. I really can't see him being a bust - I think he is going to help some team right away.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Star, but I might take a shot at Clowney over any D player in this class. I still think a trade down is likely.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

My day before the draft wish list (which would be viable with a bit of movement)

Margus Hunt

Robert Woods

Barrett Jones

Aaron Dobson

Blidi Wreh-Wilson

Micah Hyde

Opinions?

wreh wilson looks like a bb guy, i said that after seeign his interview several weeks ago.

hunt looks liek a guy bb woudl drool over becasue of the st. again repeatign myself.

dobsons been on my list of pats receivers i want 2 of. woods has been on my backup list of wrs possible for pats (2nd tier prerference).

jones i dont see being as high a priority with our limited picks, but sure makeing the o line better with a versatile guy was a preference should we have more picks

i dont know hyde

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

CaptFoxboro - great post and I have a question for you and the others on the thread -

Is there any player in this draft that is worth moving up for, trading future picks for, etc...ala Atlanta and Julio Jones, which in my opinion, has helped them. 

I love this kid Ansah - to me he is a strong, athletic kid that has boat loads of potential. I really can't see him being a bust - I think he is going to help some team right away.

yeah mthurl, did you read all my posts on him when he was a 2nd to a late first rd projection? shot up too hihg and i stooped being intersted (impractical)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

1. KC - OT Eric Fisher

2. Jax- OT Luke Joekel

3. Oak- OT Lane Johnson

4. Phi - CB Dee Milliner

5. Det- DE Ezekial Ansah

6. Cle- DE Dion Jordan

7. Ari - OT DJ Fluker

8. Buf- WR Tavon Austin

9. NYJ- OLB Barkevius Mingo

10. Ten- OG Chance Warmack

11. SD - OT Menelik Watson

12. Mia- DT Sharriff Floyd

13. NYJ- TE Tyler Eifert

14. Car- DT Sheldon Richardson

15. NO - OLB Jarvis Jones

16. STL- WR Cordarelle Patterson

17. Pitt- CB Xavier Rhodes

18. Dal- OG Jonathan Cooper

19. NYG- CB Desmond Trufant

20. Chi- LB Alec Ogletree

21. Cin- S Kenny Vaccaro

22. STL- S John Cyprien

23. Minn- WR Justin Hunter

24. Ind- DL Datone Jones

25. Minn- DT Sylvester Williams

26. GB- S Matt Elam

27. Hou- WR Deandre Hopkins

28. Den- DE Tank Carradine

29. NE - CB Jamar Taylor

30. Atl- OT Justin Pugh

31. SF- CB DJ Hayden

32. Bal- LB Arthur Brown

i ttried to respond to this last night. the bdc board wasnt working (early am est)

did you push wermner to the 2nd rd?

if so, why?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

RE: Jamar Taylor... for what it's worth, there was a ton of smoke around Chandler to NE leading up to last year's draft, so the smoke around Jamar can't be totally dismissed.

I'd be happy with him or Hayden if they go CB in Rd 1.

no cb in rd 1 and we should ahve satsfied the cb bolstering in fa to free us up. now 1 of top 3 pciks may have to be cb instead of 2 big stud wrs in rd 2 and 3

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to titletownfan's comment:

Two Predictions:

1. The Patriots WILL trade out of the first round

-Too few picks, and tons of depth and value.  No way BB stays pat.

2. The Patriots will NOT draft Jamar Taylor (CB-Boise State)

-Too much speculation about him to the Pats to be true...

I was thinking about it and now I'm starting to doubt they'd trade out of the 1st for anything less then a 2nd and early 3rd or a 2nd next year. The value of the optional 5th year for 1st round picks might be to much to turn up for simply a 2nd and 4th pick. They might not value moving back a dozen spots just for a 4th if it costs them an additional year at a reasonable rate for a top end player

where ive been aslo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to CaptnFoxboro's comment:

Disclosure : This will be my first thread offering since the mighty 2013 Draft Thread V2's initial posting.

I don't follow the College game ...at all - so I never really have a clue until all the hype starts  in earnest (for me it's typically a couple months b4 the draft )

I do however check in here to get eductated on the Pats angle on the prospects  and as always you guys are pretty 'frickin' amazing with your analysis .

So once again ...

A big thank you goes out to MB and the rest of you draftniks .

That said ...

IMO -

Unlike past years when it was pretty clear  BB was going to :

A) Trade back to later rounds

B) Trade back for future picks

C) Get ahead of an impending need ( i.e  Solder to eventually replace Light )

D) Draft at least one TE

E ) Hook up a trade with Andy / Ozzie / Al

I'm now resigned to admitting that BB is the NFL Drafts ultimate enigma and simply cannot be pegged .

21011 & 2012's draft proved it .

( Taking back-to-back rbs and then Mallete ...again NOT parlaying first pick of 2nd round... Trading up in the 1st round ...TWICE ! )

Nobody knows what he's going to do .

It wouldn't shock me to see BB commit the NFL drafts biggest sin :

Moving up by trading away a future pick and mortgaging the future

( actually ..that one would shock me )

Here's my 2 cents on my own personal Draft Wishlist :

1)  4 -3 type DE that can get after the Qb - Don't care about run stopping ability - that's why we've got Mayo / Spikes / HighT

2 ) Playmaker at wr ( could care less about size / speed )

3) A high future pick to be acquired ( Last year - I missed not having an obscure team to root against )

4) Mallete Trade ( maybe for that future high pick ?)

He's unlikely to still be here when Brady's contract expires and I just don't believe he'd be able to pick up the slack if the unthinkable was to happen again

5) Acquire Lawrence Okeye .

I get the feeling that a couple years from now people will be saying " I can't believe this guy could have been had for a late round pick ". Either that or people say " Who's was that ?"  It's more likely the latter  ( considering the guy's never even put on a helmet , but that's true of everybody who's ever played ...gotta start somewhere ) It just seems like he's got all the intangibles to get it done . Plus - of all the positions in the game ( that don't include kicking a ball ) D-Line seems to be the one that you can plug a newbie into the easiest .

My guess is a team like the 49ers will take a flyer ( late 6th ? ) while BB will most likely hope he slips thru the cracks and accepts our UFA invite ( obviously gonna be a ton of themFoxboro-bound this year ) .

In conclusion ( crowd cheers ) ...

I predict BB trades back and out of 1st  ( Bills move up for Nassib ? )

Trades up in 2nd ( short hop to leapfrog Broncs for falling DE ? )

Trades sideways in 3rd ( ??? )

Trades a vet for a draft pick

(Maybe Ballard back to NYG 's for a 4th ? How about Mallete to the Jets for their future 2 ? ...only half-kidding )

Uses the phrase "good value" 17 times in post draft presser .

HAVE A GREAT DRAFT WEEKEND ALL !

IBBWT

captn lmfao at the bottom

your thoughts are mine except for #3

we do have 2 7ths for okeye and charles johnson

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to CaptnFoxboro's comment:

Disclosure : This will be my first thread offering since the mighty 2013 Draft Thread V2's initial posting.

I don't follow the College game ...at all - so I never really have a clue until all the hype starts  in earnest (for me it's typically a couple months b4 the draft )

I do however check in here to get eductated on the Pats angle on the prospects  and as always you guys are pretty 'frickin' amazing with your analysis .

So once again ...

A big thank you goes out to MB and the rest of you draftniks .

That said ...

IMO -

Unlike past years when it was pretty clear  BB was going to :

A) Trade back to later rounds

B) Trade back for future picks

C) Get ahead of an impending need ( i.e  Solder to eventually replace Light )

D) Draft at least one TE

E ) Hook up a trade with Andy / Ozzie / Al

I'm now resigned to admitting that BB is the NFL Drafts ultimate enigma and simply cannot be pegged .

21011 & 2012's draft proved it .

( Taking back-to-back rbs and then Mallete ...again NOT parlaying first pick of 2nd round... Trading up in the 1st round ...TWICE ! )

Nobody knows what he's going to do .

It wouldn't shock me to see BB commit the NFL drafts biggest sin :

Moving up by trading away a future pick and mortgaging the future

( actually ..that one would shock me )

Given the new CBA and Brady's window, combined with last years moves and the core of the team essentially locked up for years this move wouldn't surprise me actually. The more I think about it the more I convince myself he'll move back into the 3rd-6th range using next years picks

Here's my 2 cents on my own personal Draft Wishlist :

1)  4 -3 type DE that can get after the Qb - Don't care about run stopping ability - that's why we've got Mayo / Spikes / HighT

I'm more of a DT type of person but I wouldn't complain agaist a DE either. The only thing I question is that Nink fits the mold so perfectly for the type of player BB likes (3 down, fundamentally sound, locks down in bigger situations, high motor, smart) that I wonder if he'd go for a 2 down player over Nink. If they go DE they will have to be a Nink upgrade which includes run stopping unless it's a mid round player as a specific pass rusher

2 ) Playmaker at wr ( could care less about size / speed )

3) A high future pick to be acquired ( Last year - I missed not having an obscure team to root against )

Isn't that fun but this year I agree with you that BB might burn a future pick to move back into round 2 or 3 given available talent this year. Imo that would be a better use of picks then trading them for disgruntled vets who last a season or less anyways

4) Mallete Trade ( maybe for that future high pick ?)

He's unlikely to still be here when Brady's contract expires and I just don't believe he'd be able to pick up the slack if the unthinkable was to happen again

Agree, this is the year to trade Mallett as his value won't be any high. I also agree after 14' Mallett is gone in FA because Brady will still be around

5) Acquire Lawrence Okeye .

I get the feeling that a couple years from now people will be saying " I can't believe this guy could have been had for a late round pick ". Either that or people say " Who's was that ?"  It's more likely the latter  ( considering the guy's never even put on a helmet , but that's true of everybody who's ever played ...gotta start somewhere ) It just seems like he's got all the intangibles to get it done . Plus - of all the positions in the game ( that don't include kicking a ball ) D-Line seems to be the one that you can plug a newbie into the easiest .

My guess is a team like the 49ers will take a flyer ( late 6th ? ) while BB will most likely hope he slips thru the cracks and accepts our UFA invite ( obviously gonna be a ton of themFoxboro-bound this year ) .

I really like Okeye too and if available in the 7th I wouldn't complain in the leasat if they used it on him, instead of getting into a bidding war with another team

In conclusion ( crowd cheers ) ...

I predict BB trades back and out of 1st  ( Bills move up for Nassib ? )

From latest reports Bills are going to take Nassib at #8 because they think the Jets will take Nassib if they don't

Trades up in 2nd ( short hop to leapfrog Broncs for falling DE ? )

This I see as the most likely scenerio. To much talent in the 2nd and 3rd round to not try to get the player you want. I see 2 CB's that the Pats could highly tout in the early 2nd (Taylor, Wren-Wilson) and a couple DL (Jenkins, Hankins, J Williams, Hunt) and I don't see the Pats sitting back at #59 and hoping one falls

Trades sideways in 3rd ( ??? )

Possible, but BB is a KMart shopper and this years 3rd offers 2nd round talent and players failing because of injures or drug issues (seems like no matter the year he always rolls the dice on a falling player with red flags)

Trades a vet for a draft pick

(Maybe Ballard back to NYG 's for a 4th ? How about Mallete to the Jets for their future 2 ? ...only half-kidding )

Can't see a Ballard trade. The Pats are very high on the kid and with Hern and Gronk being injury question marks a couple starting caliber TE is hard to find. Besides if Ballard works out you can move Hern to WR giving even more of BB's two favorite words "value" and "flexibility"

Uses the phrase "good value" 17 times in post draft presser .

HAVE A GREAT DRAFT WEEKEND ALL !

IBBWT

Great thoughts Capt as usual. I have made some comments they are in some color of blue

re "Isn't that fun but this year I agree with you that BB might burn a future pick to move back into round 2 or 3 given available talent this year. Imo that would be a better use of picks then trading them for disgruntled vets who last a season or less anyways"

what ive said as well since begining of draft.

funny how so many no commnets or even disagreement in repsonse to many of my ealry thoughts end up being promoted by other independent thinkers much later (usually without credit). probably the same for many of you here as well i imagine. "collective brain experience"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

Here's an interesting thought. We all pegged Hunt to be a 43 DE, which is natural given his 275lb weight. However, he has a ton of strength (38 reps with his long arms) and has the frame (6'8") to add 15 lbs without losing a ton of speed. 10-15lbs is a reasonable gain from rook OTA's to Sept given current NFL standards would it be possible that they pick Hunt with #29 and have him bump up to 290 and use him as a heavy 43 DE during running plays and a smaller quick DT during passing downs? Given his ST ability too he'd be a 4 down player that adds strength to both the run and pass defense. The more I think about it the more it makes sense to me. He'd be the player they were hoping Cunningham would become. Then on passing downs you move Hightower to DE and A. Wilson/Nink as the 3rd coverage LB and you have a 11 man squad of:

Dennard             Hightower             Hunt              Wilfork              Jones            Talib

Nink/A. Wilson                                 Spikes                                   Mayo

T. Wilson/Gregory                             McCourty

hitting reply would not work all of a sudden.

hey eng, this is exaclty how i imagined bb woudl use hunt if indeed he drafted him.

hes still a risk in my book and abotu the 4th de (and preferred player) for our first pick)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

did any of you see nfl.com mock draft with 8 people picking.

werner again made to 28.

again i say, if werner slides within 5 or so, im making evey call to trade up to get him.

otherwise i like carradine 2nd, pref, okafor (with  a slight trade back) then hunt

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I would not move up for any of them, but the following are I think will ultimately end up being the best of this class

Lotulelei

Ansah

Patterson

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Hunt is getting more likely @29.

But would you use him at DT? After watching his videos, especially the NFL Network video, he seems to have narrow shoulders. Would he be able to back big NFL dudes?

In response to bredbruu's comment:

Here's an interesting thought. We all pegged Hunt to be a 43 DE, which is natural given his 275lb weight. However, he has a ton of strength (38 reps with his long arms) and has the frame (6'8") to add 15 lbs without losing a ton of speed. 10-15lbs is a reasonable gain from rook OTA's to Sept given current NFL standards would it be possible that they pick Hunt with #29 and have him bump up to 290 and use him as a heavy 43 DE during running plays and a smaller quick DT during passing downs? Given his ST ability too he'd be a 4 down player that adds strength to both the run and pass defense. The more I think about it the more it makes sense to me. He'd be the player they were hoping Cunningham would become. Then on passing downs you move Hightower to DE and A. Wilson/Nink as the 3rd coverage LB and you have a 11 man squad of:

Dennard             Hightower             Hunt              Wilfork              Jones            Talib

Nink/A. Wilson                                 Spikes                                   Mayo

T. Wilson/Gregory                             McCourty

hitting reply would not work all of a sudden.

hey eng, this is exaclty how i imagined bb woudl use hunt if indeed he drafted him.

hes still a risk in my book and abotu the 4th de (and preferred player) for our first pick)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Just want to share a thought...

As I was doing my 2-round mock draft I realized two things:

1)  Someone really screwed things up in KCC

2)  MIA has me concerned. They've had a good free agency period. They have five picks in the first three rounds (1 in the first, 2 in the second, and 2 in the third). They have multiple picks at the strength of this class. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Oh... and I like Fisher more than Joeckle.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

Thanks 1st Lieutenant (assuming you've been promoted by now, lol).

I don't think BB will trade up, back if anything.  And I doubt Ogletree will last.  We could go Minter for a straight replacement to Spikes. Or we could go 3rd round with Lemonier, who ran a 4.56, or Sio Moore or even the kid from Stanford, Chase Thomas.  That might be the smarter play. 

I'm also warming to the idea of Hayden if he's there at 29 as a relatively new idea.  One of Mb's DTs or a WR.  But more than likely, we will trade back.

Yup, I have been promoted and I don't know what to do now about the name.  What a bad choice eh?  Oh well.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Oh... and I like Fisher more than Joeckle.

Looks like the Chiefs agree.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/24/talk-heats-up-that-chiefs-prefer-fisher-to-joeckel/

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

In response to stillgridlocked's comment:

Pats trade out of the 1st round to get an extra pick.  

Not in any order Margus Hunt, Quinton Patton, Blidi Wreh-Wilson, & John Simon.

Possible? I don't know just guessing like everyone else.

I'm really not sold on Wreh-Wilson.  I guess it's because he's a CB from UConn and the last one didn't work out so well.  It's really not fair to him, but that's all I'm reminded of.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

I would not move up for any of them, but the following are I think will ultimately end up being the best of this class

Lotulelei

Ansah

Patterson

patterson floor is low.

hard to disagre on first 2.

you know how mcuh i wanted ansah before he was a top 5-10 projection

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Army2LT's comment:

I'm really not sold on Wreh-Wilson.  I guess it's because he's a CB from UConn and the last one didn't work out so well.  It's really not fair to him, but that's all I'm reminded of.

You are not alone. I was thinking of that UConn connection three weeks ago.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Faucetman's comment:

Thanks 1st Lieutenant (assuming you've been promoted by now, lol).

I don't think BB will trade up, back if anything.  And I doubt Ogletree will last.  We could go Minter for a straight replacement to Spikes. Or we could go 3rd round with Lemonier, who ran a 4.56, or Sio Moore or even the kid from Stanford, Chase Thomas.  That might be the smarter play. 

I'm also warming to the idea of Hayden if he's there at 29 as a relatively new idea.  One of Mb's DTs or a WR.  But more than likely, we will trade back.

Yup, I have been promoted and I don't know what to do now about the name.  What a bad choice eh?  Oh well.

Change it. Everyone who's posted here long enough will make the connection. 

Congratulations!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

Just plug in another corner back there but I'm looking at it like a needs thing. Top need is a WR that can start when they get here. Patton has gone a bit under radar and seems like a good pick.

I like the idea of Hunt because he's a physical freak who's potential seem unlimited.  I like Simon because his motor never shuts down and has a lot of desire plus enormous strength. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Just plug in another corner back there but I'm looking at it like a needs thing. Top need is a WR that can start when they get here. Patton has gone a bit under radar and seems like a good pick.

I like the idea of Hunt because he's a physical freak who's potential seem unlimited.  I like Simon because his motor never shuts down and has a lot of desire plus enormous strength. 

I like Simon too... he hasn't been disucussed much, mostly due to his height/length and fit, but I love the kid's strength, aggression and motor and you know BB is getting all the info he needs from Urban.

Sections
Shortcuts