***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

Morning  Boys!

So BB has essentially ( 5) Top 100 picks now at his disposal, though that number could increase to (6) if he's able to work out a deal for Mallet... with that being said, below are (25) kids that I'd like to see with these picks… though a few likely won’t be available:

WR:

Keenan Allen

Stedman Bailey

Robert Woods

Quinton Patton

Markus Wheaton

Ryan Swope

Chris Harper

CB:

Darius Slay

Johnthan Banks

Logan Ryan

Sanders Commings

Kayvon Webster

Dwayne Gratz

DT:

Jesse Williams

John Hankins

John Jenkins

S:

DJ Swearinger

Shamarko Thomas

Josh Evans

Keelan Johnson

LB:

Kiko Alonso

AJ Klein

DE:

Tank Carradine

OL:

Brian Schwenke

Barrett Jones

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to Faucetman's comment:

"It's an opportunity to add more players to our team," Caserio said. "We feel pretty good about going into tomorrow. We have four picks and went into the day potentially having only two picks."

As far as what's available on Friday night, Caserio pointed out that players who the Patriots targeted with the 29th pick remain on the board, and didn't rule out the possibility of them trading up."

"If some of those players start to come off then we want to make a move up, we have maybe a little more flexibility to do that," Caserio said. "I think we're open to anything at this point, so we'll have to see how it unfolds once we get started."

Above quote from Caserio.  By "some" I assume he is talking about WR or possibly CB since there is still good depth at both positions.  We need there to be an early run at QB and RB to help.

These quotes kind of disturb me a little. It shows they have a lack of confidence they can pick a good player from 1 pick instead of 2. Additionally if they feel they have to move up to get a player they want then that trade doesn't look as good depending on how far they have to move back. It's a weird way to do business because the only guarantee is they could of had the player they wanted, instead if that plaer might come off the board they have to pray some team will trade will them. It's a rolling the dice move that sometimes pays off big but sometimes backfires badly. It's a gamble for sure

I think they have a list of 5 or 6 players they'd be satisfied getting in the second round.  They know they are not going to get all of them, so they won't be too worried if they lose one or two to other teams, but if too many of them start to disappear, then they'll trade up to make sure they don't miss on all of them.  It doesn't sound like they go into the mid rounds with particular individuals targeted.  They've got a pool to choose from and are going to try to get as many of them as possible rather than trading to ensure they get any particular one.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

"It's an opportunity to add more players to our team," Caserio said. "We feel pretty good about going into tomorrow. We have four picks and went into the day potentially having only two picks."

As far as what's available on Friday night, Caserio pointed out that players who the Patriots targeted with the 29th pick remain on the board, and didn't rule out the possibility of them trading up."

"If some of those players start to come off then we want to make a move up, we have maybe a little more flexibility to do that," Caserio said. "I think we're open to anything at this point, so we'll have to see how it unfolds once we get started."

Above quote from Caserio.  By "some" I assume he is talking about WR or possibly CB since there is still good depth at both positions.  We need there to be an early run at QB and RB to help.

These quotes kind of disturb me a little. It shows they have a lack of confidence they can pick a good player from 1 pick instead of 2. Additionally if they feel they have to move up to get a player they want then that trade doesn't look as good depending on how far they have to move back. It's a weird way to do business because the only guarantee is they could of had the player they wanted, instead if that plaer might come off the board they have to pray some team will trade will them. It's a rolling the dice move that sometimes pays off big but sometimes backfires badly. It's a gamble for sure

I think they have a list of 5 or 6 players they'd be satisfied getting in the second round.  They know they are not going to get all of them, so they won't be too worried if they lose one or two to other teams, but if too many of them start to disappear, then they'll trade up to make sure they don't miss on all of them.  It doesn't sound like they go into the mid rounds with particular individuals targeted.  They've got a pool to choose from and are going to try to get as many of them as possible rather than trading to ensure they get any particular one.  

Oh I agree they go in with a pool of players in mind but as in 09' that pool could quickly go on a run and there's no guarantee a team will let them trade back up. Like I said it was a gamble and if they have to go with their 2nd pool instead of their first pool because there was a run this trade was a mistake. Hopefully it pays off

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Morning  Boys!

So BB has essentially ( 5) Top 100 picks now at his disposal, though that number could increase to (6) if he's able to work out a deal for Mallet... with that being said, below are (25) kids that I'd like to see with these picks… though a few likely won’t be available:

WR:

Keenan Allen

Stedman Bailey

Robert Woods

Quinton Patton

Markus Wheaton

Ryan Swope

Chris Harper

CB:

Darius Slay

Johnthan Banks

Logan Ryan

Sanders Commings

Kayvon Webster

Dwayne Gratz

DT:

Jesse Williams

John Hankins

John Jenkins

S:

DJ Swearinger

Shamarko Thomas

Josh Evans

Keelan Johnson

LB:

Kiko Alonso

AJ Klein

DE:

Tank Carradine

OL:

Brian Schwenke

Barrett Jones

I don't see Mallet going anywhere. When you aksed me to list a top5 at 29 I could not even do it and listed 4. Only 3 out of the 4 I listed went in the first round.

I feel pretty could about my view on the talent level and why it was hard for me to find a bunch of players I would have taken at 29.

Then last night I read those comment Kraft made about them just looking to fill in depth using this draft and not starters. Then they had a number of so called experts on the radio this morning stating that teams think this is the weakest draft class in the last 5 or 6 years.

I wish the Pats had landed Sanders even more so now with that 3rd rounder. I already did but even more so now.

Like the list of players as always MB.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

DT:

• Jesse Williams
    • Jonathan Jenkins
    • Jonathan Hankins
    • Sylvester Williams
    • Kwame Geathers

DE:

• Margus Hunt
    • Bjoern Werner
    • Donte Jones
    • William Gholston
    • Mike Catapano

LB:

• Jaime Collins
    • Chase Thomas
    • Quanterus Smith
    • Kiko Alsono
    • Khaseem Greene

DB:

• Jamar Taylor
    • Blidi Wren-Wilson
    • Darius Slay
    • B.W. Webb
    • Tyrann Mathieu

WR:

• Da'Rick Rogers
    • Marcus Wheaton
    • Stedman Bailey
    • Ryan Swope
    • Marquess Wilson

OL:

• Travis Frederick G/C
    • Barrett Jones G/C
    • Dallas Thomas G/T
    • Brian Winters G
    • Earl Watford G/C

Misc:

• Jeff Tuel QB
    • Marcus Lattimore RB
    • Latavius Murray RB
    • Nick Kasa TE
    • Chris Gragg TE 

Most of my guys are still on the board so crossing my fingers but have a funny feeling they will be flying of the boards quick tonight

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Oh I agree they go in with a pool of players in mind but as in 09' that pool could quickly go on a run and there's no guarantee a team will let them trade back up. Like I said it was a gamble and if they have to go with their 2nd pool instead of their first pool because there was a run this trade was a mistake. Hopefully it pays off

I think if they think a particular player is really worth getting, they will start to shop for a trade early today and will probably "overpay" a bit based on the draft pick value chart to sweeten the deal for another team.  That's one advantage of having the extra picks, you can sweeten a deal a bit to motivate a reluctant team to trade.  We'll see.  I'd like to see them pick up at least one receiver today and maybe two, plus get some bodies at any defensive position (except maybe MLB). 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Morning  Boys!

WR:

Keenan Allen

Stedman Bailey

Robert Woods

Quinton Patton

Markus Wheaton

Ryan Swope

Chris Harper

CB:

Darius Slay

Johnthan Banks

Logan Ryan

Sanders Commings

Kayvon Webster

Dwayne Gratz

DT:

Jesse Williams

John Hankins

John Jenkins

S:

DJ Swearinger

Shamarko Thomas

Josh Evans

Keelan Johnson

LB:

Kiko Alonso

AJ Klein

DE:

Tank Carradine

OL:

Brian Schwenke

Barrett Jones

What about Cyprien? Have you gone lukewarm on him?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Mike Reiss in his latest mock as us taking Wreh-Wilson at 52 and Markus Wheaton at 59.  Both Margus Hunt and Robert Woods were still on his board at 52.  I will throw a beer bottle at my TV if we take another UCONN CB in the 2nd round.  Incidently, Reiss has Woods coming off at 53 to CIN and Hunt at 56 to SEA.

I hear ya, Stay away from UCONN with DB's. If Woods is there, that  would be my pick, unless there is a higher rated CB there I like.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Morning  Boys!

WR:

Keenan Allen

Stedman Bailey

Robert Woods

Quinton Patton

Markus Wheaton

Ryan Swope

Chris Harper

CB:

Darius Slay

Johnthan Banks

Logan Ryan

Sanders Commings

Kayvon Webster

Dwayne Gratz

DT:

Jesse Williams

John Hankins

John Jenkins

S:

DJ Swearinger

Shamarko Thomas

Josh Evans

Keelan Johnson

LB:

Kiko Alonso

AJ Klein

DE:

Tank Carradine

OL:

Brian Schwenke

Barrett Jones

What about Cyprien? Have you gone lukewarm on him?

I like Cyprien a lot (listed him as a potential Rd 1 option in my final mock yesterday), could've listed him but think he's off the board fairly quick on Day 2.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Agree on sanders Low. Especially after last nights trade.

i think it is looking more and more probable that we see Lloyd return if they don't get a WR they like. Even so, Lloyd may be a good 1 year option until whomever they draft learns the system. If the kid picks it up fast, then Lloyd could be cut or used for depth.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

Everyone is being so damn polite and optimistic. Not me. If the Pats don't use a combo of Mallett and picks to move up in 2nd to get a Carredine/Woods combo or a Hunt/Taylor combo and instead stay put and end up with something like a Jenkins/Slay combo I am officially going to become a Vikings fan, despite Ponder. Love what the Vikes did getting talent.

Pats need talent, not more Jake Bequettes and Dowlings.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Morning  Boys!

WR:

Keenan Allen

Stedman Bailey

Robert Woods

Quinton Patton

Markus Wheaton

Ryan Swope

Chris Harper

CB:

Darius Slay

Johnthan Banks

Logan Ryan

Sanders Commings

Kayvon Webster

Dwayne Gratz

DT:

Jesse Williams

John Hankins

John Jenkins

S:

DJ Swearinger

Shamarko Thomas

Josh Evans

Keelan Johnson

LB:

Kiko Alonso

AJ Klein

DE:

Tank Carradine

OL:

Brian Schwenke

Barrett Jones

I don't see Mallet going anywhere. When you aksed me to list a top5 at 29 I could not even do it and listed 4. Only 3 out of the 4 I listed went in the first round.

I feel pretty could about my view on the talent level and why it was hard for me to find a bunch of players I would have taken at 29.

Then last night I read those comment Kraft made about them just looking to fill in depth using this draft and not starters. Then they had a number of so called experts on the radio this morning stating that teams think this is the weakest draft class in the last 5 or 6 years.

I wish the Pats had landed Sanders even more so now with that 3rd rounder. I already did but even more so now.

Like the list of players as always MB.

Yeah, mixed reviews on the class as a whole... I had also heard one pundit (don't remember if he was quoting Mayock or not) that there were more draftable players in this class than in previous years, though the top end of the class wasn't as desirable, which is what most of us thought going in.

Yeah, makes you wonder how much they really wanted Sanders or what the breaking point would've been for Pitt.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Gimme D.Slay, R.Woods, Duke Williams, Honey Badger and whatever LB they want...I would be good with that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Yeah, mixed reviews on the class as a whole... I had also heard one pundit (don't remember if he was quoting Mayock or not) that there were more draftable players in this class than in previous years, though the top end of the class wasn't as desirable, which is what most of us thought going in.

Yeah, makes you wonder how much they really wanted Sanders or what the breaking point would've been for Pitt.

I think the Pats wanted Sanders but they have a hard line with everything including picks and players. If you are over their value line in picks they make the trade regardless of whos on the board and fo players if they want more then the Pats want to offer they go elsewhere. It's extremely rigid which I don't thin is always the best policy but does pay off every so often. With Sanders I think they calculated out exactly what they felt would give them a sligthly better odds they wouldn't match (like 60% chance) and wouldn't ffer a penny more even if 1mil extra would guarantee they got they player. It goes along with BB being a gambler. He likes to cast the net large (10 $1 lotto tickets) instead of the larger pay off (2 $5 tickets) sometimes if pays off other times it doesn't at all 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

For people wringing their hands at this point consider that there will now be a run on QB's, RB's and teams will reach for O linemen because the pool is drying up.  For the positions we're eyeing the well is deep...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

For people wringing their hands at this point consider that there will now be a run on QB's, RB's and teams will reach for O linemen because the pool is drying up.  For the positions we're eyeing the well is deep...

Yeah, certainly a good amount of WR/DB/DL talent stil available.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

this is true but with the deep well comes the chance on a run on that well too. We've seen it happen before. What was thought to be a deep weel going into the 2nd dries up within the first 15 picks as teams take BPA instead of reaching on drier wells. Remember when we took Price because there were a ton of WR's in the 3rd and there was a huge run right before we picked?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

this is true but with the deep well comes the chance on a run on that well too. We've seen it happen before. What was thought to be a deep weel going into the 2nd dries up within the first 15 picks as teams take BPA instead of reaching on drier wells. Remember when we took Price because there were a ton of WR's in the 3rd and there was a huge run right before we picked?

The well on WR's shouldn't be dry by the end of Rd 2 and I'd be shocked... well, you can never by shocked by BB, but very much surprised if they don't take a WR in Rd 2.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I would counter by saying we have a lot of picks to move around, 8 draft picks will not make this team, we'll either have to use them or differ to next years draft.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I would counter by saying we have a lot of picks to move around, 8 draft picks will not make this team, we'll either have to use them or differ to next years draft.

I agree but what would be the cost of moving up? Say #52 and #83 to move up to the late 30's early 40's (about what it should take) then you ended up trading the #29th pick for an early 2nd, 4th, and 7th and might have missed out on a player you really liked between #29-where ever you picked. When you look at it that way the trade doesn't look so great. However, if they only have to jump say 5 picks and use that 4th to get a player they really wanted then they get the paye they wanted and an extra late 3rd which would be a nice win

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

The deffering may be pretty difficult as most teams wanted to already do that in the first round apparently and teams were not having any of it. They all sort of see the same thing and understand the value of that so unless the perfect scenario arises....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I agree but what would be the cost of moving up? Say #52 and #83 to move up to the late 30's early 40's (about what it should take) then you ended up trading the #29th pick for an early 2nd, 4th, and 7th and might have missed out on a player you really liked between #29-where ever you picked. When you look at it that way the trade doesn't look so great. However, if they only have to jump say 5 picks and use that 4th to get a player they really wanted then they get the paye they wanted and an extra late 3rd which would be a nice win

Turn 8 low picks into 4 high in the 2nd and 3rd round is a win...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Turn 8 picks into 4 in the 2nd and 3rd round is a win...

since you already had 3 picks in the first 3 rounds not sure I'd call 4 picks in round 2 and 3 as a win esp with the data I gave you suggest that a late 2nd and a late 3rd has a little less chance at finding a starter combined then 1 pick in the late 1st. sometimes more isn't always better ie I'd rather have 2/3lb of dunkins then a full 1lb of chunk o nuts

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

since you already had 3 picks in the first 3 rounds not sure I'd call 4 picks in round 2 and 3 as a win esp with the data I gave you suggest that a late 2nd and a late 3rd has a little less chance at finding a starter combined then 1 pick in the late 1st. sometimes more isn't always better ie I'd rather have 2/3lb of dunkins then a full 1lb of chunk o nuts

Belichick is the great equalizer. The Vikings had three #1 picks in this draft, they came away from it with one servicable inline threat receiver, a stiff albiet a fast one of a corner and a third round talent at defensive tackle.  But considering this is the same team that took Christian Ponder high in the 1st round this isn't surprising.  The notion that BB is a bad draft day talent evaluator is BS, the way this draft fell in the 1st makes the 2nd and 3rd like another 1st and 2nd round for us...

Sections
Shortcuts