***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: ***2013 Patriots Draft Thread V2***

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

ps jordan is shooting up already (take note mb).

walter has him going at 19 to lions as bpa and letting vanden bosch go.

[/QUOTE]

Not surprising... I was calling him a Rd 1 talent back in August (8th post of the thread) and he's been one of the better players that I've seen on tape... kid has unreal length, versatility and athleticism and I love his aggression/motor.

[/QUOTE]

what i find impressive about him is that he seems to be getting better as the season progresses. that team will continue to get national coverage. if he sustains his improvement he'll be in the top 15. the athleticism he's displayed should translate to impressive combine performance, which could take him all the top 12. i am saying this because a few mocks have mingo in the top 10. mingo impressed me even last season, but at the rate jordan is going, i am not sure i'd take mingo over jordan. jordan seems to have a much higher ceiling.

we know he can rush the qb. seeing jordan on that video playing corner against the screen (even if he whiffed) and on another time covering the slot just blew my mind. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not surprising... I was calling him a Rd 1 talent back in August (8th post of the thread) and he's been one of the better players that I've seen on tape... kid has unreal length, versatility and athleticism and I love his aggression/motor.

[/QUOTE]

what i find impressive about him is that he seems to be getting better as the season progresses. that team will continue to get national coverage. if he sustains his improvement he'll be in the top 15. the athleticism he's displayed should translate to impressive combine performance, which could take him all the top 12. i am saying this because a few mocks have mingo in the top 10. mingo impressed me even last season, but at the rate jordan is going, i am not sure i'd take mingo over jordan. jordan seems to have a much higher ceiling.

we know he can rush the qb. seeing jordan on that video playing corner against the screen (even if he whiffed) and on another time covering the slot just blew my mind. 

[/QUOTE]

yes that was something to watch.

interesting take on jordans potential rise.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think Top 10-12 is out of the realm of possibility as this kids upside is that high, IMO.  I also think teams will see what a long/athletic, albeit heavier player in Chandler Jones is doing and try to duplicate it.

Makes a really nice open field tackle at the :50 mark of the below link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVicjLxsI_U

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Not the best video for Jordan. I didn't come away all that impressed. He has better then average coverage skills (certainly for his size) but he's completely lacking in pass rushing moves and gets stood up often. Basically his only moved that worked (albiet 1 game) was the dip around the edge with speed. When he tried to bull rush he was stood up and his swim move was easily batted away. But, a couple huge positives were his motor and his recognition. Being able to break down plays that quickly and understand who has the ball is a big plus and a trait that can't be taught. I'd want to see more advanced and effective pass rushing moves though

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not the best video for Jordan. I didn't come away all that impressed. He has better then average coverage skills (certainly for his size) but he's completely lacking in pass rushing moves and gets stood up often. Basically his only moved that worked (albiet 1 game) was the dip around the edge with speed. When he tried to bull rush he was stood up and his swim move was easily batted away. But, a couple huge positives were his motor and his recognition. Being able to break down plays that quickly and understand who has the ball is a big plus and a trait that can't be taught. I'd want to see more advanced and effective pass rushing moves though

[/QUOTE]

Stood up often?  He abused those tackles... I also some him pressure with his bullrush... believe it was a spin move that was ineffective the one time he tried it.  Either way, he was far too explosive/quick for those tackles.

I do think he'll need to advance his passrush repetoire (as I noted in my original report on him), but I also think that goes for many college rush ends... especially kids who just moved to the defensive side of the ball in 2010.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Hey all, where do you guys see Brandon Jenkins going in the draft where he got the injury at the start of the year?

Which reminds me that I think Tank Carradine has been impressive since he's taken over that spot. 53 tackles and 8 sacks this year

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Stood up often?  He abused those tackles... I also some him pressure with his bullrush... believe it was a spin move that was ineffective the one time he tried it.  Either way, he was far too explosive/quick for those tackles.

I do think he'll need to advance his passrush repetoire (as I noted in my original report on him), but I also think that goes for many college rush ends... especially kids who just moved to the defensive side of the ball in 2010.

[/QUOTE]

Good video of Jordan.  That spin move didn't work but he's fast and sets the edge well. I love how he can play on both sides, 2 or 3 point stance and can drop into coverage. Its nice to know Belichick and Chip Kelly have become friends through Bill O'Brien.

How cool is it that BB has a connection with so many top programs. Ohio St (Meyer, Vrabel) Alabama (Saban) Oregon (Kelly)  to name a few They also got Weis, Ferentz and Bill O'Brien out there.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

MB, PatsEng and Nate Thanks for posting your mock drafts! Love reading those. Looking forward to more of them

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

FSU vs. VT on ESPN tonight, good chance to check out Werner, Tank Carradine and Xavier Rhodes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hey all, where do you guys see Brandon Jenkins going in the draft where he got the injury at the start of the year?

Which reminds me that I think Tank Carradine has been impressive since he's taken over that spot. 53 tackles and 8 sacks this year

[/QUOTE]

Had actually forgotten about him... he's out this season with an injury, but was a very good football player before the injury.  He has that lisfranc injury to his foot, which I believe gives athletes a lot of trouble... will need to follow the situation, but kid had Top 50/Rd 1 talent before the injury, so he could/should provide value for somebody on Day 2, or early Day 3 if teams are comfortable with his recovery.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

FSU vs. VT on ESPN tonight, good chance to check out Werner, Tank Carradine and Xavier Rhodes.

[/QUOTE]

what did u see in the game?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

incidentally what is walter football smoking, having bb taking williams the wr in rd 1? that would be a crazy departure and with the needs at de, dt, o line, and maybe safety (its a need, that might get addressed in draft, but i prefer not with the 3 picks [de, dt, o line for me]).

they do this with jesse williams nt and barrett jones on their board.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

ps just learned nfl only tests for marijuana once a year for it, announced, unlike steroids, which is tested randomly through the year. 

so players like mathieu can really have it easy in the nfl, just dont get busted on the street with it or let your team findout.

partially tongue in cheek, but goes to show if you get in trouble with ganja in the nfl, you arent too smart.

since 2 states just legalized recreational use, the nfl just came out and said after the election, it still is forbidden in the nfl, even in legal states.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

what did u see in the game?

[/QUOTE]

Got to watch a few series... Tank (Off topic, but Tank is probably my favorite of all nicknames) really flashed, kid has good size, is long and athletic... can't believe how loaded they are at the DE position... imagine they could work Jenkins in too?

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

incidentally what is walter football smoking, having bb taking williams the wr in rd 1? that would be a crazy departure and with the needs at de, dt, o line, and maybe safety (its a need, that might get addressed in draft, but i prefer not with the 3 picks [de, dt, o line for me]).

they do this with jesse williams nt and barrett jones on their board.

[/QUOTE]

I'd personally be shocked if BB passed on either of those Bama kids for a WR in Rd 1.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

More and more I see of Alabama QB, the more I see a mirror image of Brady.

[/QUOTE]

He's one of the (2) QB's on my board right now.  Kid's only a junior, so he may decide to come back and raise his stock even further, but if he declares I wouldn't be shocked if BB spent a Day 2 pick on him... good size, good arm, accurate... all things that BB values.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

we have a brady backup in mallett, why do we need another guy to ride the pine and carry a clipboard?  especially with using a day 2 pick?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to natesubs's comment:
    [QUOTE]

we have a brady backup in mallett, why do we need another guy to ride the pine and carry a clipboard?  especially with using a day 2 pick?

[/QUOTE]

That same question could've been asked when Hoyer was the only backup and they spent a day 2 pick on Mallett.

I'm not saying BB/NC would pull the trigger on another QB, but if they were, McCarron is the kind of kid they'd target.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Had actually forgotten about him... he's out this season with an injury, but was a very good football player before the injury.  He has that lisfranc injury to his foot, which I believe gives athletes a lot of trouble... will need to follow the situation, but kid had Top 50/Rd 1 talent before the injury, so he could/should provide value for somebody on Day 2, or early Day 3 if teams are comfortable with his recovery.

[/QUOTE]

MB, Thanks for the info. I wouldn't mind the Pats taking him in the 3rd or 4th(if they can trade for one) as long as they're comfortable with his injury.

I watched FSU last night and I don't see any decline in talent from Jenkins to Carradine. I recall reading awhile back Jimbo Fisher saying that he wasn't reallly a backup to Werner and Jenkins but more starter 1A, 1B and 1C referring to all 3 of them.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Make that 64 tackles and 9 sacks now haha. Tank had a monster game last night!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

[QUOTE]

ps just learned nfl only tests for marijuana once a year for it, announced, unlike steroids, which is tested randomly through the year. 

so players like mathieu can really have it easy in the nfl, just dont get busted on the street with it or let your team findout.

partially tongue in cheek, but goes to show if you get in trouble with ganja in the nfl, you arent too smart.

since 2 states just legalized recreational use, the nfl just came out and said after the election, it still is forbidden in the nfl, even in legal states.

[/QUOTE]

I think they pretty much have to keep it forbidden or else half the league will want to play for Denver or Seattle haha

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think they pretty much have to keep it forbidden or else half the league will want to play for Denver or Seattle haha

[/QUOTE]

that is too funny.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

by the way, on the mankins talk.

got me thinking,

mankins, our 2nd, next years second (and if necessary a 5) for a first from someone who is between 10 and 22 that needs a guard.

with our 2 one's get 2 of 3 stud de, stud dt and c/g (ie barrett).

would be ruthless move trading a guy like that who gives it all, but that is bb often anyway, but make the defense to go with the offense.

this year and next 2 be all in for sb.

fa if need safety and or corner.

oh and id be remiss if i didnt say, use dennard adn talib teh way they should be, in aggressive man coverage. been saying this a bit and i noticed troy brown said teh same thing 2 days ago, "you have to play that way in this league with the pasing gaem the way it is."

we now have 2 guys who can do it.

re talib, we need to either keep him (hes been no trouble for a year minus the adderall) and mandate he stay in n.e. in the offfseasoon liek tampa did, or replace him in offseason with equal or better cb fa.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think Top 10-12 is out of the realm of possibility as this kids upside is that high, IMO.  I also think teams will see what a long/athletic, albeit heavier player in Chandler Jones is doing and try to duplicate it.

Makes a really nice open field tackle at the :50 mark of the below link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVicjLxsI_U

[/QUOTE]

i just saw bleacherreport's mock where they put jordan being picked at 11... by the jets! 

Sections
Shortcuts